Speaker 1: These are the yays of our lives.
Speaker 2: Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is the platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives. They adore the good, bad and ugly.
Speaker 3: The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your Yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or Spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bark Sees The Ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Hi Bim, Third time lucky?
Speaker 4: Hi Bim? What what do you raw? A chicken with lettuce in its eyes?
Speaker 1: Jiggers is a salad?
Speaker 4: Oh? You know to get it?
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I was there when you heard it the first time.
Speaker 4: I find a better one. Now hold up? What Okay? I don't have one. I'll think of one by the.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I was so funny my father didn't.
Speaker 5: Coming times, I couldn't say, oh, I farted like all the other six times and started playing.
Speaker 3: We've had severe internet issues today and every time, and just managed to conjure up some kind of bowel related event for the occasion.
Speaker 1: I've got glad that you didn't. You weren't able to well this morning.
Speaker 5: We were late because I actually had a scheduled prove at nine eight am, remember, and women stat at night. And I was like, this is not.
Speaker 6: Going to work because I genuinely would probably be bringing you to the toilet and I can't really mute those kind of things, you know, So I didn't want to make it a bit of an R rated podcast, So and then I farted.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: For the folks, oh my god, this is what you've done to my brand. You've obviously brought.
Speaker 3: A lot of ya a lot of like laughs to the show, but you've also made us the target of all pooh memes, but not only poo memes, but like boo scientific explanations because people now think that we're like the Poo duo, And I'm like, whoa. I've spent so much time working hard to not be that person, and now I'm like the go to Pooh gal?
Speaker 4: Do you mean sometimes I do find Pooh weird?
Speaker 5: But then I forgot it so much that I'm like, well, it's.
Speaker 4: Your own fault. And had two thoughts this morning.
Speaker 5: One was does anyone else make themselves late to most things because of their bowels? And then two, I think my phone's listening to me because the other day my TikTok was showing me account called Poologist.
Speaker 3: Don't you think though, that's because you always talk about Pooh, Like, surely your phone is listening to you always.
Speaker 4: Making they're listening to me?
Speaker 5: No, they are, And it was like, what happens to Pooh?
Speaker 4: It's actually quite it's actually quite.
Speaker 5: An interesting fact. Actually, let me tell you. Did you know the poo that goes into the sewer system. Sewage system goes into like this big factory and then they filter out all the water from it and they kind of like dehydrate it almost and then turn it into like this dirt looking like thing, and then it and gets put into compost and all.
Speaker 1: Sorts of stuff, and they were turn it into what compost? Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Also, I'm going to steer this conversation right away from Pooh because I feel like we don't want to be the Pooh duo for the rest of ever.
Speaker 4: Well, no, it was just just a fan fact. Okay, just you know.
Speaker 5: People, people haven't talked about birds and the bees.
Speaker 4: This should be part of it.
Speaker 1: I mean that's true. That's true.
Speaker 3: I mean like ninety percent of Australians probably have some kind of gut related issue that they actually like it is actually an ata in their life. Like we could do a bow related issue. But I feel like if I dedicated a whole episode to that, then you would have to like not spread that into every single other episode.
Speaker 4: Ever. No, I can't find that contract. Oh I can't stop here.
Speaker 5: I can I can distribute my quota across the whole year rather.
Speaker 4: Than I'll agree to that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Okay, any way, moving right along. Are you going to do this every episode?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: Do I need to fire you from this position?
Speaker 4: Well? I think the audience can speak to that.
Speaker 1: Throw it out. We'll throw it out as a pole. Imagine if everyone was like more Pooh talk, I'd be like, what.
Speaker 3: Is what is happening to the show? What has become of the gayborhood.
Speaker 7: We'll throw it out to the audience of too go out and last Nick and Elizabeth. No, but no, we actually have more listeners than you think, because I came to work the other day and I just told you this.
Speaker 5: But again, they came to work the other day and my friend.
Speaker 4: Was like, and I listen to you guys for my whole trip.
Speaker 5: And I as much as I love, I really love doing this with you, I get really embarrassed.
Speaker 4: Like I've listened to it and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, oh no, don't do that, but also like do that. But I was like, oh, shy, shy. Anyway, she was like, she's like, oh, I listened to you this morning, Massy Cousy, and I like genuinely.
Speaker 4: Forgot what we spoke about last week. And I was like, what the heck is Mazzi Couzzy. I was like, oh my god, I was talking about her name is Meryl?
Speaker 5: Shout out to Meryl and I was like, oh my god. The things we talk about in hindsight are so odd I have to say, but you know what it sticks.
Speaker 3: So I mean I had totally forgotten until you just told me two seconds ago. In like take four hundred and twenty two or trying to make this episode, I was like, what is Mazzy Cuzzy. How did we end up calling the great Murray Kiri Mazzy Cuzzy, Like, who even are we?
Speaker 1: For one? Two I forgot entirely that we even spoke about that. Three.
Speaker 3: I'm actually so excited to bring this historical segment to life because I feel like there's so many people I've come across in this past week that I was like, yes, we need to do this person. And to your credit, yeahborhood, you've all been amazing at like sending in like you know when I go, oh, I wonder what the neighborhood thinks.
Speaker 1: Guys, please dear me.
Speaker 3: I don't actually expect anyone's actually going to do it, because I forget that we have more than a fan base of two. But you guys have had amazing suggestions like Mazzie Couzy, We're gonna do my Angeloe. Of course I'm gonna do Eddie Jacub, But please tell me if there's more. I've got like a full list going, which is so lovely, and also had a lot of messages from people who were also feeling as kind of either flat or just weird as we were and continue to be a little bit like I kind of remember what I've said this episode or not because we tried to record so many times today. But I feel like last week we were both just in a weird place, like we were still having a real hard time getting into the year. This week, I'd say we're both a little bit more into the swing of things, but probably not back to one hundred percent, like still having up and downs of motivation and a little bit of yeah, I don't know, lacking routine, and still a bit of a lack of direction. But so many of you wrote in saying that even just hearing one other person say that they're having that experience really helps validated.
Speaker 1: I think, so you don't feel alone.
Speaker 3: So I'm so glad that some of you felt validated by it not always being all Pollyann arcs. The like part of you know, being joyful is also acknowledging when it's tougher, and it has continued to be a weird time. So I found a quote of the day. The good thing about having to re record this about seventy five times is that I had time to do my own homework for my own show and find a quote of the ya today, which is from Helen Keller, which I also really want to do Heskez a really great historical epiod.
Speaker 1: So Helen Keller, who is.
Speaker 3: The most extraordinary human despite what my abbreviation of her name might suggest. She was deaf, dumb and blind and still managed to learn how to speak, and she wrote like she could write and read braille, and just it's the most extraordinary story and again something that I think a lot of us we might have heard her quotes, but people who didn't study her at school or you know, have had no one read her materials or know about her. Is one of those women that I think we all need to know about. And so definitely she's on the list.
Speaker 1: For the historical episodes, which.
Speaker 3: I think should be called Yester Yay like Yesteryear but yesterya just dropping that in there, So feedback poll votes welcome at any time. But the quote from her was a bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you forget to take the turn. And I think that's such an amazing quote at a time in our lives where all of us were on this one particular road, even if we didn't know exactly where it would end up, most of us had some kind of idea of what our life is going to look like. Then COVID came and has caused so many bends in so many roads, and has led a lot of us to feel like it's the end of some things and the end of some good things. But I feel like in any case where there's a bit of a shift in your plan, if you decide to make the right turn, to make the right pivot from that, then it doesn't have to be the end. It can just be a change or and often it can be an improvement on the plan that you originally had. And I thought, for a woman who lived life with the most adversity you could imagine, even just to communicate what she was feeling was enormously difficult to have that kind of depth of wisdom.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The quote just came to me at a time where I was thinking about bends in the road, and you know, quotes always find you when you need the most. I just thought, what an amazing quote, And it also linked so well to a Yeghborhood Watch item which just happened over the weekend the Australian Open finals about the great Ash Barty and her bend in the road.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a perfect time.
Speaker 5: Because I was talking to someone last night, like on My Friends last night, I had a similar concept in that she was feeling like in a bit of a rut because she wasn't where she thought she would be by this point, and I was like, you do forget? The last two years has been the most unprecedented And it's such a use word now, but there's no other word, but most unexpected. I guess bend in the road, like, how were you going to know that we're going to have a pandemic that's going to last two three years and achieve really big?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: She was in the schedule of life where people around you are having babies, getting married, getting engaged, buying houses.
Speaker 4: And I think it's actually quite hard.
Speaker 5: I reflected on that too, and I was like, everyone is on a different path, and I feel like there shouldn't be timing on milestones to determine how.
Speaker 4: Successful you at a particular age.
Speaker 5: I feel like everyone's on a different path and a different pace and they get to where they need to be whenever that is, and everyone's got different purposes, so it's really hard to compare to someone next to us the same age that a chief business and this because that might not be your path, Like that might not be what your life is and what you want. So I think, like that Ben in the road thing, it's quite nice to see that, you know, not everyone has a linear path to where they want to be. Everyone takes their own little journey in the bend might come earlier, and some people's bend might come later, and that turn might come earlier in that time come later.
Speaker 4: So I think someone is you just keep working towards what you want.
Speaker 5: That's the only thing you can ask with yourself because everything else study you can totally, you know, the whole way, control what you can control, and an except what you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: And I think one of the things that's really unique about this whole past kind of two and a half years is that even if you let go of the comparison with other people and other people's timelines, then there's the issue of you comparing yourself with the timeline you thought you would have. So I think a lot of us have still held onto this. That's where I thought I would be, like I should be here, But because the world has been, you know, so messy, I'm not. And we have this parallel, like me where I should be versus me where I am, and I think because you can't change that that's happened. The more you worry about that and make that COMPARI, and the more you keep that hypothetical you alive, it just causes like upset, It just causes disappointment. It just causes all these feelings that by comparison, you're not reaching up to whatever you thought you would be at by now, the more you let that be a comparison, you're just going to feel bad about it, and you can't you can't go back to that hypothetical situation anyway. So it's sort of like the earlier that you can accept that this is what's happened to all of us, this is what's happened to the world. It's not ideal. It's caused a lot of upset, but you're exactly you know, you're only where you are.
Speaker 1: You're never going to be back in that hypothetical situation.
Speaker 3: So it's been a big thing for me to kind of let go of. Oh, but I would have been or me without COVID would have been at there's no point in looking at me without COVID, because it is that's not a real scenario. So I feel like the bend in the road situation also involves letting go of imagining that the road never bent and just still comparing yourself to the straight line, because that will just it will just never make you happy, right Like, it's always going to leave you feeling if so, I think, Yeah, the more you focus on the road that you're on and the pivots you can make, the better it is for you. And you don't feel a loss of a loss of anything because you realize you actually haven't lost anything. You weren't necessarily going to have that life anyway. So yeah, I feel like that's really interesting. It's so much about mindset. And the thing is that we were talking about in our first attempt at this episode was that everything really that happens to you is like there's an element of the physical facts of something, or your physical skill or your physical ability to do something, but most of the time it's your mental approach to that thing. Like, really, that's the bigger picture. And I was talking to a good friend, you know, I'm referring to she's just started an amazing business, Like has I had an extraordinary life? Has just started this amazing business. All the outside markers of that business in its first little while have been absolutely incredible. But through no actual event, she just spiraled into this like I can't do it, I should close it.
Speaker 1: This worst idea ever. And it's not got anything to do.
Speaker 3: With the physical facts of the market, the physical quality of her idea, her incredible skill to be able to do it. It's all about her brain, Like your biggest barrier is always mentally whether you can do it or not. And just with the chat to one person, we just went over it and went over the doubts until we could kind of quash them together. And by the end of it, she was like, I'm so excited to have this business. And we were reading about ash Party obviously has made history over the weekend, like I was bawling as if she was like my sister. I was bawling during her game because it was just like a moment for the nation, like she's come so far and she's only twenty five, and it was just so emotional. But I also read later like I think, like maybe even just this morning, I don't even know what time it is, but that she took a break from tennis like most people don't know that there was a chapter where she was so young and so successful, so young that the pressure was so much that she stepped away from the sport and not only stepped away just as a sideline, she also ended up playing it with cricket for the Brisbane because she's just so multi talented. But she fully left tennis and because of not because she couldn't physically do it, but because mentally it was too much. And it was Serena Williams who sent her a text saying, come back to the sport.
Speaker 1: How is that for?
Speaker 3: Like a nonlinear way ta like literally leaving the sport that she is now you know, making history in. But it took one person to address the mental barrier and be like, dude, come back, like you need to be in this is that amazing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Actually, s Dubbs actually also Texan me the other day she said, don't come to tennis, and I was like, thank you.
Speaker 3: I was going to, but you've changed my mind. I was going to make a campaign for twenty twenty three't.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't realize.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't even know, but I've actually been on a tennis break for the last twenty four years and just had a really long, really long pause.
Speaker 4: I just slipped.
Speaker 3: Around, you know, because I felt the pressure is a two year old was too much born.
Speaker 4: And then step, yeah it was.
Speaker 5: It was actually it was actually fetis year old and I was like, gonna take a break.
Speaker 1: Fetus year old and risk power. It was just the same, like we've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 5: I know, but you know, tennis piano, what are you going to choose?
Speaker 4: Panna, It's going to be.
Speaker 5: What we were talking about last time was as Bridey's mental game in her final and that and the Dalla's mental game in their final, which was I feel like, I know, the physical feet is incredible, which is why I was like, I'm I can't say I'm not phased by it, but I was like, I know it's a physical feit, but the mental battle of being you know, five games to one down or two sets to love down and then coming back and winning is like you imagine how many points have to be one in that and how many games have to be won in that to get you know, back to.
Speaker 4: Three sets up and then obviously win the whole championship for both parties.
Speaker 5: But I was like, I if I I was sitting on my couch having like spatse attacks, being like, oh you missed the shot or whatever. I was like, imagine if I was playing, I would have just spiraled into the.
Speaker 4: Corner straight away.
Speaker 5: But these players are just incredible, Like I am inspired also by their mental.
Speaker 4: Resilience than their physical endurance.
Speaker 5: I think, oh my god, so so so awesome to.
Speaker 4: Watch, and they were so respectful the whole time.
Speaker 5: They were just so focused on each point, and yeah, it was so awesome to see. I think Ashbuddy is one of the greatest athletes.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the goat.
Speaker 3: The goat and Dylan Olcott the other goat, Like what an absolute legend. And also I'm so old that, like a little while ago, I had to look up where everyone was talking about goats suddenly and I was like, oh, greatest of all time gat, Like they're not literally talking about a goat. Wow, that's my life now looking up acronyms and not knowing what they made.
Speaker 4: But seriously, like, as you said those one time, and I was like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: Go did you get it, like when you said it as a full sentence.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like, oh, oh yeah, I got it.
Speaker 3: So oh yeah, I was just going to say that I totally agree. Yeah, it's totally a mental thing. Like to anyone who didn't watch the games or who doesn't follow tennis, you don't need to understand to know that. Basically, in Nadal's final last night and Ashbardi's final the night before, there was a like really critical point where they were under and you know, pretty close to a possible loss, and like say, you need to win two out of three, like they had lost two out of three and there was a chance to come back, but the mental strength to come back. I mean literally I break an owl and I'm like, not, that's it. I can't do anything today. But they are like, you know, so close to losing everything and can still come back from that, And you think it's similar to you know, Samantha Gash. You guys all have heard her on the show a couple of times. Our good friend in her ultra marathon running, like she was never a runner by background, and she puts an enormous amount of physical conditioning into her training, but she's never been the most natural, naturally built athlete. She's never been the most naturally fast person, but she is the mentally strongest person. So it's like her body will do what her brain. It'll cave to her brains will, whereas most of us are the other way around, like you know, our mind caves first and our body, Like, my body can run way further than my brain will let it. It's just that my brain's like, oh, it's probably like I'm probably getting a bit solid, I probably want to leave now, but her brain is just like not, I will do.
Speaker 1: It's just so interesting after.
Speaker 5: The marathon, and it's so weird, just physiologically and psychologically that after the.
Speaker 4: Marathon, obviously we've just did this big train program, run forty two kmeters.
Speaker 5: I had so much fun, felt really good, and then now weeks after, both Laws and I are really struggling to run. We can't even run in like five k without making a really big deal about it, and like a really really big struggle, and I and I'm like, oh my god, we shut But it's the mental game, Like how can't you be physically able to run four into commerce and then a couple of weeks later just struggle to run four. It baffles me, But yeah, I think it's testament to how much it is a mental game. In a lot of sport, and it's particularly solo sport. But if you had to choose a sport, it's like, if you could be any professional sports person in the whole.
Speaker 4: World, what sport would that be?
Speaker 1: Connect four?
Speaker 5: Well, lucky you, because I was going to say, guess I reckon.
Speaker 3: Like part of me would like the discipline and intensity of an individual sport, but I love like I'm so I bounce off the energy of other people. If I am in a negative rut of for example, in the tennis, if I was like two sets down, I'd be like, oh my god, it's all over. Whereas if I was, you know, in a team environment, I feel like everyone's energy together and shit Like I love sharing things. I don't really feel like something's really happened until I've shared it with someone. So I feel like a team sport would be the go, But I don't know what team sport. I love lots of different sports. I can't say I'm like great at any of them, but I don't know. I don't know what it would be. What about you? What would you do?
Speaker 4: Excuse me? You're good at ducem? I hate people?
Speaker 1: You love people? Oh my god?
Speaker 4: I hate people. So I would choose clay shooting.
Speaker 3: You pretend that you're all jaded and like anti people, but you're like a ten years too young for that and be obsessed with humans.
Speaker 4: No, I don't hate people. I love people.
Speaker 5: But my sport, upon deep reflection, would be.
Speaker 3: Volleyball, which I feel like teleikua. Our other guest, the Olympian beach volleyball player, she owes you a text to be like, dude, come back to the sport.
Speaker 4: Please. How are your expectations, she texted me four days ago.
Speaker 1: We need you back in the sport.
Speaker 4: Don't come to the sport.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, see you guys.
Speaker 3: We're still absolutely one scattered as we were last week, just a little bit less email about it.
Speaker 1: So we're getting there.
Speaker 5: It's so true.
Speaker 4: We were like we feel ship.
Speaker 1: You feel ship, I feel I hear you and I fallowed it. You're feeling shit. I wonder if Mazy because he felt shit. So I'm really.
Speaker 3: And I'm so excited about Oh my god, Oh my god. I saw another meme today that was like I heard someone all a mental breakdown and mentib and I'm totally going to use that right now. I was like, why do I resonate so much we're having a mentib.
Speaker 5: We're can you know what, We're gonna lose any ability to be art to do it and imagine us in a formal interview one day, my god, and my favorite quote from.
Speaker 3: It was, if you're having a mentibe, just keep going, don't worry about the MENTIV.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Like it's it's so bad.
Speaker 3: I actually so, we have a really exciting few episodes coming and I had to re record, like, and I haven't done this in years, but like, because done is better than perfect, and I kind of, you know, stopped re editing every single you know, question that I ever asked. But in the last two episodes, the guests have been extraordinary and I can't wait to share them. But I have had to rerecord a few of my questions because I'm I literally said in one of them, oh my god, I don't even know what I'm saying, but at least do you get what like, do you get what I'm saying? And she was like, yeah, I get what you're saying. And I'm like, oh my god, that's so terrible. So I had to record the whole question.
Speaker 1: The worst with my brain cells are just like gone, a well, I don't even know what's happening.
Speaker 3: But quick question, quick time time related. We don't we usually do like quite evergreen content, but more timely related.
Speaker 4: For you.
Speaker 3: It is lunar New Year for you, how are you going to celebrate? Tell us about lunary?
Speaker 1: Yea, it is the year of the.
Speaker 5: Tig.
Speaker 4: Guy? Is that this year? Yeah? The tiger? Yeah? Today is Lar Eve New Year's Eve for us.
Speaker 5: And as I've grown older, I think I've grown a greater appreciation for my culture.
Speaker 4: And I'm really not a religious person, but I appreciate so much how much my parents.
Speaker 5: They're not like overly religious, but we grew up Buddhists, so we went to temples and there's like an altar at home and things like that. But there's so many traditions in the Buddhist Vietnamese culture that I've grown to want to know more about and continue to hold on too, And one of which is celebrating the lunar New Year with all its festivities and traditions.
Speaker 4: So for us.
Speaker 5: Culturally, and I'm sure every family will do different things. So in Vietnamese culture, it's different to what you know if you go to say Singapore or China or other people may experience, but very much is celebrated the same calendar, which a lunar calendar.
Speaker 4: That's why it called lunar New Year.
Speaker 5: But tonight we will be having a really big feast, and what my norma does, we'll go to our parents' place and have that. And what we normally do is, actually they do a lot of praying. So at twelve will normally burn the incense and invite our ancestors down to eat. This is all figure of figur but figurative obviously goodness may too much a messic cuzzy, Mazi cuzzy.
Speaker 4: Now I can't talk.
Speaker 8: So what we do is we burn incense, and that incense smoke goes up, and while the incent is burning, we say a prayer or send out invitation in.
Speaker 4: Front of the altar. And that's actually how we'd call.
Speaker 5: The ancestors down to join us for the meal for the night. And sometimes we used to burn paper clothes and that smoke going up would be gifting them clothes. So it's quite spiritual. I'd say, this whole process. So we'll do a lot of cooking. Mom will do a lot of cooking tonight. The other thing she does is like a lot of superstitious things, so cleaning their house and then sweeping dust out of the house at midnight to like sweep away last year's woes or whatever and then start the new year fresh. Yeah, really cool cultural things like that. So that'd be tonight and then tomorrow is Near's Day, and then normally what we do for that is we would wear our yi, which is a bit in me stress, and we will wish each of our parents and our grandmas well, which is for the year, and that's when we receive our red pockets.
Speaker 1: Oh she's going to be rich.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When you when you were kids, we were bully.
Speaker 5: We'd be like, now it's like five days here and there, thanks for your contributions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you see at the school, did we see like thousands of dollars?
Speaker 5: I was like, you're not because you go to your parents and then you go to Gramdmar's and your uncles and your aunties and it's the whole like they dish it all out. But anyone that gets married then has to start giving we call it lisy and once to get married, yeah, you have to wish.
Speaker 4: It's quite formal, so you got.
Speaker 5: To do the whole like crossing her hands and formal wish for the year, and then you receive it with two hands and they sit on the sofa and you stand in front of them like it's a formal hello, I wish you this. But obviously we suck and we always make it a joke. Like last year, I was like, I wish you have a great year and you live to one hundred and you find a boyfriend. Thank you, and but I was like losing it. She was laughing so much. But it's just all tradition. And then normally what we do for the rest of the day, but we've obviously all got work now is we'd visit temples throughout the day and continue the wish is in the for the year across all the temples, as many temples as Mulling Day can get to in the day around Melbourne. So we used to do like seven temples in the day, which was really a long day.
Speaker 4: Whoa, there's a lot of free food and a lot of festivities. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: When I was a kid, I used to just find it just such an arduous thing to have to continue to do every year. As I've grown older, I've realized one of the importance of it, not just to my parents, but in terms of holding culture as a second generation vien Mees person in.
Speaker 4: A different country.
Speaker 5: I have value it so much because what I would hate is for it to stop with me. Yeah, so yeah, tomorrow, I won't take work off, but we will all come home tomorrow after work and do our wishes in the evening and have another dinner. So it's really fun and really special. It's very different. It's not a party vibes like in Western culture, where it's very like celebratory. It's much more like formal and I guess superstitious and spiritual, which.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 5: I'll probably document a lot of it on Instagram tonight because.
Speaker 4: I realized that our culture or how.
Speaker 5: I've grown up is so different to people around me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I love that it's and just cultural lessons. We haven't had one of those on your allies for a little while, so I really like that. And I also think that if anyone has been like us and has been having like a bit of a clunky start to the year, that we can all adopt Lunar New Year this year and just think of it as like our year officially starts tomorrow. That's how I'm doing it anyway. I'm like January was a writer. Flex, screw the whole start of the year. Year, I'll start again. Clear the slide, let's begin again tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Or just like it's a writer the work. Just choose another random calendar of the world.
Speaker 5: Like I'm pretty sure Nepal is in nineteen I mean two thousand and seventy five or something.
Speaker 1: What what do you mean They're up to twenty and seventy five.
Speaker 5: In their calendar is calendar? Yeah, they're like really far ahead.
Speaker 1: I really like our tip information.
Speaker 5: At the minute.
Speaker 1: What I don't understand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember well because I was when I was there and I did that trek all those years ago. I remember they had this big banner and that said like happy New Year, two thousand and opened in two thousand and like thirty and I was like, guys, it's twenty and fifteen.
Speaker 4: Hum.
Speaker 5: And then my Shirpa, my guide was like, no, like we in the Nepalese calendar, we're actually up to like two thousand and seventy odd.
Speaker 1: I want to wait.
Speaker 4: So that one was so cool.
Speaker 3: So like there was a sign that said open in two thousand and thirty yeah.
Speaker 4: It was like two thirty something.
Speaker 5: It was like for a town and I had this big banner they hadn't taken down and said, you know, opening dates, opening ceremony it had.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and thirty. Was oh my god, like sharing this is wrong.
Speaker 5: Well, like we're on in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: He's like, no, no, no, we use a different calendar.
Speaker 5: And so I because I remember asking him what his when his birthday was, because I was like, oh, maybe it's soon, like we can celeberate together, and he was like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was like, what do you mean.
Speaker 5: He goes, oh, I don't because he was going for the Nepalese calendar.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: He couldn't. I don't think he could do it. Yeah, but obviously they use watch our.
Speaker 1: Calendar, the Gregorian calendar or something or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, it definitely starts. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a silent m there's a silent Batman's there as well.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's what.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's close close.
Speaker 4: In two thousand and seventy.
Speaker 1: You know another random tidbit.
Speaker 3: I love our random tips because I also learned so much, like during these episodes. So in the Korean culture, your time I have to remember this correctly. So from the time you're born to I think it's on January one, So just say, like you're born, I'm born on March twenty fourth, so in Western culture that starts the clock at zero, and then next March twenty fourth I turned one. In the Korean culture, I'm zero, but then Onmber thirty first to January first, I turned one then and then I would turn two on March twenty fourth, So the calendar year clocks you over a year.
Speaker 1: I think that's how it works. All you're born at one one or the other, but.
Speaker 3: Often your Korean age is like one to two years older than your Western age, which again like so interesting that different cultures actually date people from different times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so same in Vietna's culture.
Speaker 5: So when you're your date starts when you're in the so that's like zero.
Speaker 4: So when you're born, I'm pretty sure you're one.
Speaker 1: By the would you be like nine months?
Speaker 4: No, I think they just I don't know when they started.
Speaker 5: But because studying on jennifers is way too hard to calculate, so.
Speaker 4: They are not for Korean and always come on, goodness me, you.
Speaker 1: Learned that last week? Oh my God, you learned that Bougie came from last week. We are so smart.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, we are smart. Mrt y. It's anyway.
Speaker 5: Mom and Dad always say when I was like seventeen, they're like, you're already eighteen. You readian Ada and I was like what And then always remember, in these age you're actually already eighteen. So it's a mix of following the lunar calendar and the fact that you're like already an age when you when you're born. O.
Speaker 4: That complicates all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: It's so complicated, but cute. I love that we've learnt so much amazing, so cute.
Speaker 5: Okay, so yeah, so happy in newsic happy a.
Speaker 1: Year, bimb do over. Let's all start again tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: In the meantime, cute yeahborhood watch things that you found this week include.
Speaker 5: Go oh no, you're starting You sent me all that stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so one that I just okay. Everyone who listened last week will know that we are obsessed with the train Guy, and I've shared some of the videos on the Instagram page so that you can be introduced to his absolute joyful life. And the Joe Jonas video is also on there. He's just the most yay field Like watching that guy get excited about a train honking its horn at him just you can't not feel happy. He is so amazing and I really want to get him on the podcast. So anyone who knows, anyone who knows him, please let us know, because we want the train Guy on the show. Francis Bourgeois in a similar kind of vein to him. This week's equivalent of the train Guy are the tap dancing guys. I don't know if you followed the Gardener brothers yet, Bim, have you seen them?
Speaker 4: Nu?
Speaker 1: So there, I'll have to send you the video. It's so cute.
Speaker 3: There's five time world champion Irish dancers. So they're Irish dancers and they have taps on their shoes so they do Irish dancing, but super happy. I'm super synchronized. They do it everywhere, like they got a request. They've got like six hundred thousand followers. They got a request to do it in front of Buckingham Palace, so they did this routine in front of Buckingham Palace. They're like, I think they're brothers that yeah, are just incredibly synchronized. They're tap dancing is insane. They're so in time, the beat is insane, but they're so happy and just wholesome. So that was to me when I found them this week. I saw them like maybe I don't know a month ago, but they've kept popping up in my feed and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh my god. Oh they're like the tap dancing version of the train guy. They're just so happy.
Speaker 4: I do know that.
Speaker 9: The cool thing about TikTok, It's brought like all of these like little niches to the forefront, like tap dancing and train watching and all these really awesome things that otherwise I would say, potentially you.
Speaker 5: Would be bullied for or yeah, you know, like it was such a like if you did that in high school, people like, oh, like tap dancing or like train watching.
Speaker 4: But now it's this is why I like TikTok.
Speaker 5: It just brings out people's joy.
Speaker 4: For things and then makes really happy. So I didn't actually know of the tap dancers.
Speaker 3: I love them so much, and I've like started to love getting on TikTok, even though most of my tiktoks are laughing about being a thirty year old on TikTok and not understanding anything that's going on as a consumer of TikTok as opposed to posting on it.
Speaker 1: I love that too. It's just joy.
Speaker 3: It's just things that make people laugh or things that you know are funny. There's no hectic curation of feeds or anything. It's just so much fun. I've found so many things on there. And another one that I found on TikTok as well was a surfer.
Speaker 1: Like even just the fact that.
Speaker 3: Good news can circulate so quickly, I think is so beautiful. A surfer has been writing names of people's lost loved ones on his surfboard so that they can ride one last wave. So he writes them on his surfboard. He'll get messages submitted for people who, like family members who might not be able to actually surf, but who's who's lost loved one never got their one last wave. He'll write their name and a message on his surfboard and then send them the video of him surfing it with their name on the board.
Speaker 1: I was like, that is just so beautiful, Dan Fisher, It's so sweet.
Speaker 3: Like just the fact that people think up that stuff, you know, when they do it for strangers, and I feel like we do get really pummeled with example like the worst examples of humanity, and then people like, oh, what's happened to the world. But I feel like if we gave an equal amount of time to strangers who do amazing things, it wouldn't feel so bleak because there's so many examples of that out there, we just don't hear about them as much.
Speaker 1: So beautiful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you sent me like five screenshots those guys did the Teddy bear donations?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but did you watch the video this time? Like the videos watching it this time? Last week we did a thing of fans throwing Teddy Bears onto the ice to donate to kids who don't have toys, and it was a soccer club.
Speaker 1: This time. It was an ice hockey club who did it.
Speaker 3: And the video of watching toys just like get thrown on and cover the entire ice rink.
Speaker 1: It's just like it just you just it stops my heart.
Speaker 3: It's so beautiful, the generosity and the thought and just even seeing that many plush toys together in itself is so cute.
Speaker 1: But that was, Yeah, I found that. I don't even know where I found that.
Speaker 4: That reminds me that inter of soccer.
Speaker 5: There was a video of a player and it was really big player. I'm gonna have to find it and then when you post it, send it to you. But he may just kid with cancer. And then the kid he.
Speaker 4: Says in Spanish for something.
Speaker 5: I think he's like, if you score a goal, please do this dance, and it does this special dance thing, and then they flip over to when this player scores his next go and then he actually does the dance for the kid and it is like I've it always pops up every now and then, and I just cry because the soccer fans that know no and they stiff this together and be like and they flush back to the original video of the kid.
Speaker 4: Being like if you do this, can you please do this dance? And they like all all the plays did it together. It was the cutest thing.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love that.
Speaker 4: But I have to find it and send it to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we'll post it on the page. And guys, also please keep your eye outfit. So what I'm going to do and I did a little poll on social media last week was as well as all the quotes on the CZA page, do people want like more good news stories and like designed into obviously a little CZA thing, so that there's a news element too in our continued protest against the negativity of the new cycle.
Speaker 1: So if you do see.
Speaker 3: Any good news stories, I would love to actually share them and turn them around so you know, turn them into a post so we can keep sharing them. So if you hear of anything like this, please do flick them over to us. Another one that on an environmental level that I think is amazing is California, which is not an obscure state right, It's like one of the biggest states. So the impact of this legal change is huge. Now requires grocery stores and food suppliers to donate all their edible food waste to a food rescue or food bank, which I think is extraordinary because it's outrageous when you think about it. That's so much food it gets thrown out just because it doesn't look like like apples don't look like a circle. Like how ridiculous is it that we're so discerning that it's like, oh, it looks a bit funny, like the ugly fruit gets thrown out.
Speaker 4: Do you know what?
Speaker 5: I actually speaking of sustainability and food waste, I'm not really one to have resolutions, but I was trying to set goals and things, and I really wanted to be a lot more conscious this year in terms of plastic and food waste, and laws love her to be so she is just so good with this stuff, and I was like, oh, I was going to be like you anyway. I did a for like a week and I was like, yeah, I'm not a roll and then then I forgot So now that you've reminded me, I was like, damn, I.
Speaker 4: Got to get this kitchen caddy, Like I have the council center.
Speaker 5: This kitchen caddy thing, and I was like, yeah, you gotta do it, Like did it for a week, have mango peels and a stuff. I was like so proud of myself my green bin out there with like leaves and this food. And then now it's like my kitchen caddy's been sitting out in the body backyard and I haven't. So thank you for the reminder because I feel like this week's challenge for me all this next two weeks challenge for me is every day is not putting a single piece of food in the general wat spin.
Speaker 4: I think that's a good, good challenge. Will you do it with me? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's a good one, absolutely, And I think it's also good to acknowledge that, like, even with the best intentions, habit change isn't straightforward, right, Like, it doesn't come even if you don't want to be behaving in a particular way. It's just habit often that you have to break, which is if it were easy, then half the world's businesses would go out of business. Like, it's not easy for us to change habit. So it's maybe better for you to set yourself like a smaller goal that's achievable week by week and just add to that rather than being like, oh my god, I'm going totally plastic free and totally everything like in one week. Most change isn't sustainable when you do it that way.
Speaker 5: Yes, so she's taught me a lot, she's been awesome and that that's actually an easy thing to do. It's not a drastic change in your life. I think no plastic is actually really hard because a lot of it is value. Things are packaged in a way that sometimes it's really hard to actually avoid that. Whereas putting food into a food canny versus a like garbage bin is actually just your conscious choice.
Speaker 4: You can decide to do that it's just a lifestyle change.
Speaker 5: And the other thing, you, honest I doing is if I don't have my keep cup, I'm not allowed to take away drink.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Oh my god. I love that. I need do that too.
Speaker 4: That's amazing because it's just habit and lifestyle changes.
Speaker 5: But I think it's important because I feel like we and my children and your children's generations are gonna cop the brunt of it all in terms of climate change and yeah, all the things environmentally that are happening. So yeah, our touch space two weeks and we'll update each other. That's good accountability. And anyone else that wants to join, please feel free too.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's such a good one, Such a good one. Vim.
Speaker 3: Well, I have a couple of other things on the list. These are all in celebration of women and their achievements. So history has been made by nineteen year old Zara rather Fitch. She became the youngest female solo pilot to circle the planet. Nadia Nadim fled Afghanistan at eleven after her father was killed by the Taliban. She scored two hundred goals for Denmark's national team. Speaks nine languages, juggled practice schedule while going to med school and this week became doctor Nadim. Incredible story, and they're just random ones that I came across. And then the one that we've spoken about quickly before, our favorite Maya Angelou, who is going to be the subject of one of our Yesterday episodes.
Speaker 1: I'm just you know, trying that yesterday on.
Speaker 3: Phasize she became the first black wool to be featured on the US Quarter.
Speaker 1: So there is a.
Speaker 3: US Treasury and US Mint program to honor, you know, amazing women who have played a big role in America's history, and I think it's called where is it the American Women Quarters Program. So it's going to honor eighteen amazing women who have contributed to the course of history, and they'll have custom coins designed that are designed with their story. You know, I've actually read the story by the designer of the Maya Angelou Quarter about how she used the negative space to represent certain things and you know, her arms are raised like wings. It's just there's so much thought behind it, but's so cool that they're using their currency as a way to honor someone who's like had that much of an impact on their history. So I thought that was amazing. But there's like a whole program just for recognizing women, so good.
Speaker 1: What are you even doing?
Speaker 4: I'm just.
Speaker 5: You know, I'll be successful people, and I'm here.
Speaker 4: Just beauty.
Speaker 1: Godby what are you doing?
Speaker 5: Like comment subscribe?
Speaker 3: Tell me about the projects for those listening again, we're always going to need like visuals. I'm always going to refer to visuals because obviously if you listen to the podcast, you can't see. But I am very sweaty because the room that I record in does not I can't have air gone on because you can hear everything in the background. So I've been patting my face with a makeup brush and just picked up a ballpoint.
Speaker 1: Pen and started doing it.
Speaker 3: Ielane a tutorial, Oh my god, you idiot, you can't get their mouth open technique?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: And the rold eyes what is it about? Okay, your homework for next week? Figure out why.
Speaker 1: Women can't do mascara without their mouth open. I really need to know.
Speaker 4: But I don't think it's a s reason. I think it might be everyone does.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't there be a scientific reason. I feel like there should be anyone listening if there's a scientific reason. Can you please let us know?
Speaker 3: And very last section for today recommendations, Mine is from You, which we watched together. And it's one of those beautiful documentaries that taps into a form of YA that you don't even have to ever think this is going to be your form of YA to appreciate, you know how. Sometimes well, in every episode, pretty much with a guest, I dive deep into a niche that I've never heard about or really known much about. And this movie is Andrew's favorite movie ever called Free Solo and it's about free soloing, which I also didn't even know was a thing called free soloing.
Speaker 1: So tell us about it, angeon why we should I watch it?
Speaker 5: It is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Speaker 4: That and Icarus.
Speaker 5: Icarus, those two movies I can watch again and again and again, and I always recommend it, and I'm always like, I'll watch it with you and then and then I've watched it like a six times. But essentially, Alex Ronald is a He boulders and he climbs rock, so he's rock climber, but he has this amazing want to climb our cap which is this huge I think it was like five thousand feet awesome, No, anyway, it's very it's huge climb that normally takes people, like sometimes people climb a camp on the rock face because it's quite an arduous climb. It's really long and there's lots of different pitches. Pictures are kind of segments on it that you climb. Anyway, his goal is to climate free soling, and free solwing or solowing is when they do it without any harnesses or anything.
Speaker 4: They're not clipped into anything.
Speaker 5: So he's genuinely climbing without ropes, without a harness, without any protective gear. It's just him and it's this incredible feat of human just achievement, and he climbs like obviously you know the result because he's not dead, because essentially, if you do one thing wrong, you fall thousands of.
Speaker 4: Feet and that's it. Like, that's just it.
Speaker 5: I think it's like a five thousand or three to five thousand feet just literally almost like a vertical rock face in Yosemity.
Speaker 1: It's insane.
Speaker 5: And you watch the documentary and he's got these little tiny, little pincer grip rocks that he's holding onto and you're just like, and his toe is what's holding him up or and he's climbing through crevices and he's going straight up anyway. So you just go through his whole story of how he gets up and how he achieves it, and just the training that's involved in the sycrifice that goes behind it, and then you understand the athletic abilities that he has to be able to do that. And the other thing that we really enjoyed, well, we didn't really enjoy it, but that was interesting to see was that his really great friends were filming and obviously had a lot of moral and a lot of cognitive dissonance in terms whether or not to film or not to film, because essentially, if he did one wrong move or maneuver, he would fall and die.
Speaker 4: And they had to accept the fact.
Speaker 5: That that they may be there and watching and filming that all happen. But yeah, watch the movie. It's it's one so many awards after it was. I think it started as a very independent film and has now won so many awards, and it's even if you've never bolded rock climbs anything before.
Speaker 4: It's really worth a watch, so highly recommend.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's similar to the Richard Harris story. The cave Diver, which you guys all know is still my favorite episode. You don't have to love or ever think you'll go technical cave diving to appreciate what it's like to see someone else's yay in that area, And like, one of the coolest things from a yay perspective is the idea that most people like can't think of anything worse, like he's yay, he's pure yea. The thing that he's meant to do and that lights him up the most is something that most people have such a stronger version to, which is just a reminder that like, no one's meant to be turned on by the same things or turned off by the same thing.
Speaker 1: So if you and something unusual to.
Speaker 3: Be aya, that that's like we're built that way and not and literally built that way. So my favorite part of the whole show was the medical Like there's a lot of He's obviously has some injuries, but also he's become the subject of a lot of studies of like why can he do this? Why is he so much better than other people? And if you've done a lot of work, you know, anything into any research into kind of neurology or neuroscience, the amygdala is the part of the brain responsible for fear and stress, and so all that self doubt and risk aversion lives in the amygdala. And there's a standard test that you can do where you kind of get shown like a shark and you get shown really fear provoking pictures and they measure your brain with an MRA to see what kind of activity is going on in your brain, and they can actually see that the average person has like a certain level of red activity and the amigdala because the fear in juicy pictures, Alex had nothing like actually no activity of fear whatsoever. He was literally built and born to have a higher threshold of fear than the average person, which means he's perfectly suited to this kind of activity because his brain actually doesn't register the fear like someone else. And that just for me, in a as a CZA focused person, was like, that's the key, right, We're all built for a different for different ingredients of stuff, and so why do we keep this narrative of like I have to do what everyone else likes and I have to hate what everyone else hates. It just blows my mind that that's still something we all kind of assume.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's a mix of he was born with a different sense of fear, but also he was primed in that way. Also, he had been bordering since he was a kid, a really young kid, and he.
Speaker 4: Continued that for a very long time.
Speaker 5: Like if we look at when we were kids and the types of risks that we were taking, and you know, we were jumping off things, we all stopped doing that at one point, whereas he never stopped. He kept climbing all throughout his adult life. He lives in a van, and he was out of abound new climbs, rocks. He does it without harnesses. He has continued to do so. So his threshold for fear and what he needs to kind of get that part of his brain responsive is, like you said, a lot high.
Speaker 4: In his much higher first sholder. So perhaps so that we just all need to we can all be a little bit more childlike.
Speaker 5: A bit more to be able to be more fearless in life.
Speaker 1: More playa interest, return to the childlike sense of wow.
Speaker 4: Wow product placement.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you so much for him for joining me for another years of our lives. And guys, if.
Speaker 3: You do have any suggestions to add to our massy Couzy and his cares.
Speaker 1: We will get on too.
Speaker 3: We're kind of just still nutting out the structure of these historical episodes, but also let us know what you think of Yesterday as a name, but especially yeah, anyone that you would like us to do a little deep dive into. I think they should be structured kind of sim lead to the normal episodes as if we got to have that person on the show, but also maybe yeah, pull out a quote or something that they're really well known for. And my Angelou also definitely on there. I don't know what my Angelou's nice abbreviation should be, like mas Maya.
Speaker 1: Angie power. How did not pick that?
Speaker 4: That is?
Speaker 1: So do you know?
Speaker 3: I'm still really proud that your episode of CZ, like your very first actual interview episode.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Also, I forgot so many people asked how did we meet? I'm like, dude, We've told this story like so many times, but we can leave that for next time.
Speaker 4: I don't remember yes so many.
Speaker 3: Times the very first episode firstly, but also when it was your interview episode, which I'm still so proud I called changing the game. Please do yes, we get two quotes of the age day.
Speaker 5: I found the coat that I was Yeah, I found the we met with the whole acc Yeah.
Speaker 4: Everyone does things in their own time. Okay, so please que the oscars music.
Speaker 3: Also, just quickly, I am thinking about adding music. Should I have music like dramatic music?
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 1: Anyway, just something to think about.
Speaker 4: Keep going sound effects and sound effects.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, cool cool?
Speaker 5: Okay, so in post production, please cue dramatic music.
Speaker 4: Okay. Someone graduated at twenty one.
Speaker 5: But it waited six years to get a good job. Someone had no education but was a millionaire at twenty one. Someone got married at twenty but divorced five years later. And someone got married at thirty but found everlasting love. You're not late, you're not early, You're just on time.
Speaker 1: Oh been. That's such a good one. I love it, Mike Drap mic Drop, I love that one. We're all just on our own timeline. That's such a good reminder, guys.
Speaker 3: And yeah, if you're not feeling like New Year is tonight and news days tomorrow, that's absolutely fine.
Speaker 1: Just keep going on your own time. And thank you guys all so much for joining