Speaker 1: Welcome to the kick your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnant, pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to be born.
Speaker 1: And our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 2: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone. I'm Bridget Malaney.
Speaker 2: And I'm obstatrician doctor Patrick.
Speaker 1: Maine, and today we've got a Q and A because we have so many and you know, they're fun.
Speaker 3: I like them.
Speaker 1: I hope everybody else likes them as much as people do. Yeah, yeah, good, I've actually we're going to, you know, do our typical thing and start straight at it. Pat, We're going to start now, okay, and I'm going to start by reading one.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, but don't normally read them. I thought it was a good one. Good. Thanks for your fab podcast.
Speaker 1: Stumm a thirty six year old female who works in Allied Health so have good health literacy, but I have a couple of specific questions. I thought you could do a generic version of them on the pod. Well, trying to conceive, should you stick to Class A drugs and pregnancy, say foods given you might be pregnant seems like it could be a long time ago without though, depending on how long it takes to get pregnant, especially things like migrain wafers or running eggs. So basically, if you're trying to get pregnant, should you actually already have you already?
Speaker 4: Are?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The simple answer is not real. The risks from these things are from when the pregnancy starts. In most cases, there are a couple of things that need special attention. There are some drugs that are so bad for a pregnancy that you've got to be really, really really careful that you don't get pregnant on that drug with very reliable contraceptive plan. And then there are some drugs where once you stop using that drug, there's a known gap before you should get pregnant after using it. So I guess those things you've got to be they're a special case. The majority of the other drugs, the risk and applies in pregnancy, and there is time to stop them when you get a positive presency test and convert to something else before it becomes relevant. The foods. We should be a non smoker anyway, we should be a we should be trying to maintain a healthy body weight, neat well anyway. But the specific risks again start when you're actually pregnant.
Speaker 3: What about alcohol, it's a good question.
Speaker 2: Safe alcohol is broadly thought to have us there is a safe level of intake, and compared to say smoking, there's probably no safe level of smoking. So with alcohol, we would say that people should have a safe level suitable for somebody who is likely to want to conceive soon. So that's actually surprisingly little, but it's not nune.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a glass every now and then, but not big wild nights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it depends. Are you trying or are you just thinking I might have a babe in a few months but I'm actually still on the pill. Yeah, it's different.
Speaker 3: It is different.
Speaker 1: And for people that are wondering about their medication and whether that medication is safe, what's the best thing for them to do?
Speaker 2: This is the main indication for a pre operative for for a pre pregnancy GP visit. Ye, So don't wait to be actually pregnant, go along, talk to your family doctor and say right I've got this plan. I want to be pregnant by Christmas. What should I be looking at? And one of them will be a plan for medications, A plan for maximizing the pre maximizing the state of any pre pregnancy conditions you've already got, so if you're known to have HYPEI isn't making sure you're on the right amount of your drugs? And then and then a plan for a genetic prepregnancy genetics screen Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is free if you're an Australian citizen with a Medicare card. It's now free to do that. Pre genetic carrier screen.
Speaker 2: Went from four hundred Dodar bucks to zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah good.
Speaker 1: A follow up here is I live in regional in a regional area Golden Valley River in a area, and I always assumed I would have a private pregnancy and birth but it appears that might not be possible. Being a type A vibe woman expecting control and choice as well as an older mum meaning more risks. I was shocked that I was likely to have to drive three hours to Melbourne to see a private O and G is this safe or worth it?
Speaker 3: Or should I just suck it up?
Speaker 1: Her words and go public at my nearest regional hub. My biggest fear is being treated by students by.
Speaker 2: Student Okay, all right, a little bit of background for listeners, particularly over these. Australia has has a a bit of an oddly distributed population where the vast majority of the population live in big cities on the on the coast, and very few people as a percentage, live the further inland you go. So you could be living in parts of any state in Australia where despite being well resourced, you could be you could be rich to gether the world's best private insurance. There may not be a private health facility there for you to use, and this is this is not uncommon. So people from areas of Victoria not well serviced by private either might have a pregnancy in their local public unit, or they might or they might travel for one to one private care. And your your local public unit is likely to be it's likely to have good, good data and good outcomes. The care by global standards is very safe. The problems people have is typically related to lack of continuity of care. You might see someone different every time you go there. If there's a student involved in your care, they'll be supervised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, maybe just quickly, can you say that the levels, Like, so she doesn't mean a medical student, she means a registrar, which is the next level up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sure, So a student, an undergraduate student, somebody who's training to be to be a doctor. At the most basic level, that person would always be supervised. And then if what we mean is a specialist in training, then those people again are supervised in the junior levels of their training and less and less unsupervised the more senior they get. But that's appropriate because by then they have substantial expertise.
Speaker 1: And if she's worried, like a a registrar that's in their fifth or sixth year, they've been training for thirteen years already.
Speaker 2: I think they're like the best obstitutions, to be honest, because you're if you're the senior registrate at the at a at a by hospital like the role Women's where I trained, you are doing. You are supervising, monitoring, and assisting with more babies in a week than someone in private practice might do in a month or several months. So that may actually be they may actually be the very best obstitutions.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe if she tries her local public hospital and the initial start isn't great, then she can make any different decision and say, yes it is worth me going to Melbourne or Bellarat.
Speaker 2: And you can also be booked for with two services. So, for example, as the pregnancy progresses, let's say for argument's sake, it became clear that for some important reason the baby medical and the baby either should be born by cesarean section or should be born by induced labor at thirty seven weeks or something on account of whatever condition xyst. Then that would give you the ability to get down to your private obstetriction in the capital city because you wouldn't have to come down in labor.
Speaker 1: And we don't talk about shared care enough, just very quickly. Shared care is if you have a GP who might have a qualification called DRANSCOG, which is a diploma in obstetrics and gynecology. You might have someone in your town that does shared care, so instead of going to the public unit, you could be seen at your doctor's office.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, we utilize those people for even in my private practice, so I'll have people who are two or three hours away and rather than bring them down every week to check their blood pressure. That they have most of the checks locally, and some key ones with me and in the public of course, will do that all the time. If somebody's got certain complexity which means they need to be delivered in our big hospital, doesn't mean they need to have every visit in our big hospital, So.
Speaker 3: That that might be an option for you too.
Speaker 1: You know, you have most of your care in your local area, but you have your big appointments like your twelve week or twenty week like and then probably your thirties and forties I mean hopefully not forties, but yeah, and then your birth at at that hospital.
Speaker 2: That's right, all.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm going to move on to our s big pipe now, pat.
Speaker 6: Hi, doctor Patton Bridget. My name's Free. I'm from perf Wa. I'm not currently pregnant, however, we are looking to start trying next month. I've just finished listening to all one hundred and ninety one episodes of your podcast in just over three months. I started on the fifth of January. It's taken me ninety five days, and I just wanted to thank you that it's been a wonderful source of reassurance for me as an educational resource. I have OCD, so the the idea of having to rearrange and make you plans every two seconds and all the uncertainties that come with pregnancy has certainly going to be something that I will need to practice on overcoming. However, my question today is more in regards to sleeping disorders and pregnant women. I also have diagnosed insomnia and was recently on kutaypin at a lower dose to help with that, which I've been recommended to come off due to it being a Class C drug, And I'm currently on some older antihistamines now which are working. But I'm a little bit cautious of the fact that my sleep whilst I am pregnant might become more turbulent, and having existing insomnia probably isn't going to be great. I was wondering if there's any existing research or study around how many hours of sleep pregnant woman needs to actually maintain a healthy baby. I know that eight hours or so and a half hours is obviously the gold standard, but I'd like to know how many hours we can we can feel reassured that whilst we might be feeling really tired, we're not actually doing harm to the baby. So yeah, any info you have on that would be great. I'll probably speak to you guys later.
Speaker 7: Bye.
Speaker 1: Sleeping pregnancy is hard as it is, and yet you put on something on top with insomnia like this, poor lady.
Speaker 3: That's that's tough, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Sure is? I think that's a great question, because really I think, I mean, I think you've found a few things on this, but I don't know tons about this. I would typic if if someone was using a medication to help them sleep and wasn't pregnant yet. My usual advice will be keep using a thing and we'll change you over when you actually are pregnant. In pregnancy we use you know, the insomnia can be really quite quite something. It's thought to be an effect of the progesterone from the placenta on the sleep wake center in our brain stem that makes us go to sleep and then sets the time and wakes up again, and that that can be really quite disturbing. And then, of course in the second half the pregnancy, he add to that fidel movements pressure on your bladder and musculos gally little pain in your hips, so that it's uncomfortable in one position for very long and then it's meracle to get any sleep. We use those category A antihistamines quite a bit because they are powerfully sedative and really quite useful, but also category A so so they can be really really worth worth using. But in terms of how much sleep we're supposed to get to have a safe pregnancy, what did you find?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: I found a couple of studies.
Speaker 1: One that said that there's a median sleep so the average, well, the median sleep during pregnancy for the normal population is seven point two to seven point five hours a night.
Speaker 2: That sounds fatter than I thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, normal, Like that's that's as much as I get. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then another study that said that too much more than nine to ten hours a night or too little less than six to seven hours a night has an association with a higher risk of gestational diabetes diabetes.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So mostly people said it's about quality of sleep, But there's there's a lot of observational studies, but there's no real study that we could probably hang our hat on there.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. And did they look at mental health in that study? No? Because I think the people who are sleeping way too much or way too little might have a pre existing mental health problem, or or it might create its own mental health problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, I don't know how this call is going with her sleep. She didn't mention how many hours she's currently getting. There was another study that said that people who having more than an hour nap during the day have higher risk of things like hypertension and gestational diabetes too. But whether you know that's something that we can hang out hat on, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not aware of any big number highly influential studies on this. We could keep looking. It's very interesting question. One thing that the caller should take into consideration is that, yes, she's got some OCD now, and she's been medicating so forth. But some people just go way better than they think they're going to. Yeah, it's easy if you're thinking about pregnancy in advance, and I guess if you've got OCD to worry in advance about things that may not actually happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good luck, Brey. I hope.
Speaker 1: I hope it all runs smoothly for you and you get pregnant in the next month or so. As you it's clearly want to like you're doing so much pre work that's so great.
Speaker 3: Good luck keep listening. All right, let's move on to this one.
Speaker 5: Hi, doctor Patton Bridgett, thank you for your podcast. I absolutely love it. My name is Laura. I wanted to share my person experience of having a partial molar pregnancy. It happened a few years ago when I was twenty eight. We started trying for a baby, got pregnant on the first try. We felt so fortunate, so lucky, and then at the eleven a week mark, I had a scan and it confirmed that I had miscarried, so I had a DNC. Following the DNC, I bled heavily for about six weeks. I had blood test done and my doctor sent me to get a pelvic ultra sound and that old sound confirmed that I had retained products of conception. So I had a second DNC, and at that point I received the news that I had had originally a partial molar pregnancy. So I remember at the time they said, oh, you do have a higher chance of having a second partial moler because you've had one.
Speaker 7: I can't remember what the odds were.
Speaker 5: I've subsequently had two little girls, easily complication free, and I've kind of wondered whether there's a genetic component to being prone to having.
Speaker 7: Partial Mola pregnancies or molars. It was such a confusing time. I remember.
Speaker 5: Talking to friends about it and they just had no idea and I hadn't heard about the time, and I know.
Speaker 7: It's really rare. I just wanted if you have any personal experience managing partial molars and what your knowledge is of them. Thank you, Biks.
Speaker 1: All Right, Patti, Mola pregnancies is quite a big topic, and I think we've covered that elsewhere, so we're going to put that into the show notes. But do you think this caller is asking because she wants more children or she worried about having a genetic component for her children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not that's not clear, is it. But then either way, if she's talking about whether you can be predisposed to these things, and I think if really mala pregnancy is sort of bad luck on the on the day when the Superman air come together, and there are protocols for managing those, we do the curret, we find the molar pregnancy material, and then depending on the genetics of that particular pregnancy, we say you can drive another pregnancy after so many weeks or it might be a longer period necessary between pregnancies before you can try again. As long as we follow those rules, the risk for the next pregnancy is low. Then there is a rare genetic problem that people can have where they are actually genetically predisposed to molar pregnancies. And this is something I only learned when we research this question. I didn't really know about this. So you can actually carry a gene that predisposes you, so that there is actually a way that people can be genetically predisposed towards molar pregnancies. And it's something called familial recurrent attitude for Mole, which is actually a genetic predisposition, And some authoritative bodies suggest that if you've had two mole pregnancies, you probably should be treated tested for that gene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, so whether this woman's asking for her own girls or not, like, you know, you're not recommending that her girls get tested or not.
Speaker 2: If she's only had one, that's much more likely to just be bad luck. Yeah, it's like the old discussion about you know, early pregnancy loss if you have if you have one, it is there's unlikely to be severe underlying pathology. But the more you've had in a row, the more likely there is to be severe underlying pathology.
Speaker 1: Good. Thank you so much for calling in and telling us about your MOLA pregnancies and that you had two healthy girls.
Speaker 3: I hope you're going super well.
Speaker 2: That's prilliant.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go to this caller.
Speaker 4: Hi, doctor part and Bridgette. I recently started listening to your podcast. I started on the episode pregnancy one O one, which is perfect timing for me. Me and my partner we asked thinking of starting to start trying to get pregnant. I'm thirty three and my partner is thirty five.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: I'm diagnosed with hyperthyroids up. I've been keeping it. I've been managing with my GP and my levels are correct. She tested me for PCOS and there's no signs of it. But I have irregular periods. I've always had irregular periods. It ranges from thirty thirty to fifty sometimes sixty two, sometimes even more. And I'm thinking, how do I'm how how do I know ovulating or how do is pregnant? Getting pregnant?
Speaker 5: With that.
Speaker 3: On work?
Speaker 4: I love your to know your answers. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Before I start, Can I just do a little sidebar and say we need to do another episode on p C O S because it's now called p M O S. Yes, yeah, so there's been an update.
Speaker 2: Can do that, but anyway, good question.
Speaker 3: This is wow, very irregular period also.
Speaker 2: Do to our heart because we don't like people to when people come in and say that they've been trying for a year and they're still not pregnant, and they've come along because they've been trying for a year, but they they've had a significant problem with one of the ingredients that was obvious at the start. Then that year could could have been a kind of waste of time. And that's always been a bit disappointing and frustrating because we would rather have helped that person a year ago. Yeah. So this this cycle is highly highly abnormal and there's every chance you're not ovulating at all. So we would not want that person, this person to come along and see us. So after a year of trying, we would want to sort this out. Now. Okay, so through a dedicated women's health GP or a specialist obstrition and gynecologist, we want to work out what's try and work out what's wrongs. Some things that are relatively straightforward to rule out. There are some things that blood tests will need to rule out, and then there's a group of women who just done ovulating for no apparent reason. Some of these things are correctible and others not. It is possible to have a really prolonged cycle like this and still be ovulating, but it can be very difficult to track down exactly when that ovulation is happening. And the problem with that is that unless you're an early wad to having sex every day, it's hard to time intercourse around the ovulatory time if you don't know when that is. So with a cycle it's really long like this, we would want to try and work out is there any evidence of ovulation, and we can do that with some cereal blood tests. More likely there's not, and the bleeding just comes when it's ready, and that needs to be corrected before you get pregnant at all. So this is someone we would like to meet with, investigate and treat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she needs a referral to a gynocologist.
Speaker 2: Isn't it now?
Speaker 7: Though?
Speaker 2: Not in it?
Speaker 1: Don't wait, Yeah, don't wait. I hope that you know, if anything, starting to listen to our podcasts and stuff, if you want to get pregnant, don't wait, please go and see Acolture.
Speaker 2: The waiting times for people whose ducks are in a row. Okay, so we've got a healthy partner, that the cycle is normal and there's no perfect pain. Yeah, so I definitely need some attention now, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Pat, Well that's all we've got time for today. There's lots in there.
Speaker 2: Now, we've got some more in the tank. Love to do another one.
Speaker 3: Do another one? Yes, we'll do another one.
Speaker 1: And if you want to get your voice on our speak pipe, we would love to hear from you. We love answering your question. So just go to either the show notes or to our website grow Mybaby dot com dot au. Or we've also got a link in our Instagram bio. Lots of ways that you can get on there and it's just a really simple click and speak and you don't have to sign up to anything, which is also nice in these days of having.
Speaker 3: Your inbox full of stuff.
Speaker 1: So you won't ever hear from speak pipe again, hear you just want to hear your vice, all.
Speaker 3: Right, so yes, do that obviously.
Speaker 1: People who are in the Grow my Baby program get to priority. So if you want a little sneaky tip, just jump on into the program where you get lots of weekly information about what we think happens at that particular week of your pregnancy, and we would love to see you in that program. All right, until then, keep well, keep growing those babies.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening everybody.
Speaker 3: Next week by for now.
Speaker 1: Hey, even though doctor Pat is well a doctor and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, I just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice when you grow your baby