Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: And then he just loves a purse, which is fine off the carpet. He just liked pretty girls and nightclubs. Anyway, we digress.
Speaker 1: Did you just call Carly gener a purse?
Speaker 3: She's been carrying around a little channel purse like that's he Yeah, he dresses very interestingly. You don't hear the word purse very attie, and he loves that. Hello and welcome to Mama Mia out loud and to our Friday show. If you're having a little hyperventilate every time you see a headline pop up on your phone, We've got you. Today is a news free zone. It's Friday, the seventh of February, and I'm Holly Waynewright, I'm Meya Friedman.
Speaker 2: And I'm Jesse Stevens.
Speaker 3: And on the show today, is it ever okay to just work all the time? And a new Australian TV show, a new classic American comedy and a big Oscar movie for you to binge on the weekend. It's our recommendations and our best and worst of the week include Meer's boobs. I'm not telling you whether they're best or worst. You'll have to wait and see which Mabby went eachell into, a scone related dethroning and a shock consolation. But first Mia, in case.
Speaker 4: You missed it, suns out, buns out. If you've been anywhere near a body of water or sand over the last few summers, you would have noticed a lot of bear bums, mostly belonging to young girls wearing G string swimmers, and this has caused mixed feelings in the community. I think it would be safe to say some are celebrating the body confidence of a new generation. They're very body confident, happy to get their bum out. We were trying to hide our bums. But others are insisting that they should be banned, these g strings and indeed these naked bottoms, and one local council.
Speaker 1: Has done just that.
Speaker 4: Last week, the Blue Mountain City Council in New South Wales announced a ban on all G string swimmers at its public pool in the city. Critics argue that the band infringes on personal choice and bodily autonomy, and is about telling women what they can and can't wear, which is a big step backwards, but supporters claim that it maintains a family friendly environment in public.
Speaker 2: You can set your watch to this debate. Yes, I reckon this time next year we'll be having the same argument because it is so predictable. This time last year there was an open letter that was written by a man who basically said, I don't want to be walking down the street with your bum in front of me. I don't know where to look. And now it's come for public pools. Like when we talked about this last year, I just went, we don't seem to be able to understand how socially and culturally conditioned we are to see certain things as sexualized in the same way that an ankle was sexualized in Victorian okeran.
Speaker 1: Are you saying that bums aren't sexual?
Speaker 2: There are countries people have been wearing g string bikinis for thirty years and everyone's fine with it. There are some cultures where you walk around with that your top.
Speaker 3: Of your bum does other things than sex.
Speaker 1: But given that we are not that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know when a culture starts, you know what I mean, I don't know when you.
Speaker 3: When you evolve, doesn't it evolves all the time.
Speaker 1: I don't hate this. I don't hate this bad.
Speaker 2: I reckon that if you are a private business, you get to decide guidelines about what people wear. If you go to a golf course, who.
Speaker 4: Has priority the person who wants to get their bum out or the people who are uncomfortable seeing the bum?
Speaker 3: If you have a right to be comfortable at all times.
Speaker 4: So how is it how is it different to boobs you just said, Jesse, there are countries where boobs are fine. People are very topless at the beach. They're very comfortable with that. So should we just do that too.
Speaker 2: I think we actually have legal guidelines when it comes to public nudity, and so there are for example, you can't walk around without pants on.
Speaker 1: Do you mean we'd like no under.
Speaker 2: With no undies on? Yeah, you can't do that unless you sorry, then that is out. But you are, as it stands, allowed to walk around in a thong bikini. And I think that this is funny when we consider that men have been walking around in budget smugglers and we've not had any issue with it. So it's women's bodies that are always more policed.
Speaker 3: And it's also interesting because this particular ruling in the Blue Mountains city area. Public pools are a big deal if you live Inland, if you don't live anywhere near the coast, if you live regionally, the place you swim, unless you're rich enough to have your own pool is the public pool. And so it's a melting pot, right. You've got all different cultures, You've got people of all different ages, You've got people of all different backgrounds and all different persuasions. And in a way, any public space like that is a tolerance tester, right, Like, how comfortable are we to all rub up against each other sometimes literally in the public pool and each other's standards. MEA might be there who thinks that all bombs are a sexual Come on, is that what you think? Do you have a particular lineous the bar?
Speaker 2: What are you allowed to have a little bit of check or no cheek shots perhaps or pens?
Speaker 4: I find it challenging not to look at myself, but this idea of because like, if you're wearing a g string, are you wearing it so that the people to appear.
Speaker 3: To be honest? The reason you're wearing it is because it's in fashion. Like literally, as you said in your intro in the last few years, suddenly it's everywhere, and it's interesting. Where I live, I don't see as many g strings. But I was in Sydney last weekend and I'm at the beaches I used to live at, and it's the only swimmers you see on young women, and it's because it's in fashion. I don't actually think they're thinking very much about what it means, what it's strategy.
Speaker 4: I think it's more flattering, and I think that I have this conversation with my daughter all the time. She thinks that it's more I mean, I'm completely used to it now, but she thinks it's more flattering, and she thinks that me with my covered up bottoms, that it looks terrible and it just looks really awful. And I can see to her, I like my eyes become accustomed to it. But like where like on the beach is fine. I've told this story before when we've been away at a resort and then the girls are like that and the beach and swimming, that's fine. But then you come into the restaurant and you walk.
Speaker 1: Back to your room on the road. What does your productimity, what does your proximity.
Speaker 4: Need to be to water to have to put your bum away and also to not be in your budgies like I don't.
Speaker 3: Think you have.
Speaker 1: I don't know away.
Speaker 2: I think it's fine. I think that if you can smell sea water or any water, anybody of chlorine chlorine.
Speaker 4: So not at the supermarket, not at the shops.
Speaker 2: It depends on when you get Is it okay to work all the time? This week Mother and Maya launched a brand new podcast called biz and it is all about rewriting the rules of work for a new generation. It interrogates what your work life is actually meant look like. And this is the question that I've been pondering for months. Over the summer, I listened to an interview on search Engine where they spoke to Ira Glass, the host and producer of This American Life, which is one of the biggest radio and podcast shows ever made. It asked the question that inspired this segment, is it okay to work all the time? The only word we have for someone who prioritizes work is a workaholic, And the implication is that it is a narrow, somewhat sad way to live your life. But if I had to summarize it, and unhealthy and unhealthy.
Speaker 4: And as a result of an addiction paslogic some problem.
Speaker 2: Glass kind of says in this episode, Yeah, it's okay to work all the time if you love it, if you believe in it, working all the time can be enormously fulfilling. And does he think he would have got to where he is without putting in eighty plus hour weeks. Probably not. We have a cover story on Muma Mia this week about the death of the girl Boss. One of the hosts of Beers, Michelle Battersby, is on TikTok talking about revenge, quitting the buzzwords when it comes to work, a flexibility and work life balance, and how to avoid burnout. So is there something pathological about wanting to work all the time? Maya? You have deep seated issues, does this resonate with you?
Speaker 4: I was really interested when you sent me a link to that podcast until I listened more.
Speaker 1: And I really.
Speaker 4: Respect the two podcasters, PJ Vote who's the host, and of course Ara Glass, who's iconic in the podcasting and journalism world. I was really interested in them both talking about how much they love to work and if it's okay to work all the time, until I learned that neither of them have children and they're both single.
Speaker 2: Actually, that was actually where he was starting from, was that he's at a threshold in his life where he's going, do I don't tie? And is it okay to dedicate a life to work like that was sort of part of the philosophical drive for the episode.
Speaker 4: I think the first thing to say is that, my goodness, what a privileged conversation to have, because we're talking about is it okay to work all the time because you want it? Versus is it okay to work all the time because you need to to keep a roof over your head, or pay single parents because you don't have health insurance and you've got medical bills to pay. So I think for most people who work more than they want to, it's not about some existential choice. Right. Having said that, we are talking about this idea of it's so interesting in Beers this generation, and m does it so well on the show, is their boundaries. So while perhaps a generation ago we fetishized working around the clock and back in my dome, we slept in the office and we worked all blah blah, and we just did what it took and blah blah, it's now very uncool to be that. It's now much more cool to be m Vernon's vibe, which is I'm really ambitious, but I want to do it in the least amount of possible time.
Speaker 1: I'm also really lazy. I don't love work that.
Speaker 4: Much, but I do want to be successful. Like it's saying all the quiet parts out loud and feeling like you it have to perhaps try as hard. And I think that there's a generation of us who are like, wait, is that an option? I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 2: The way that PJ sets up this episode is that he overheard a conversation between a man in his twenties and a man in his fifties, and the man in his twenties said, I love working. It makes me feel alive. It is my whole purpose, is all I want to do, and the man in his fifties sort of looked at him and went, that'll change. And the implication was that as you get older, as you get wiser, your relationship with work evolves because you realize that it's not the most important thing. Has that been your experience.
Speaker 3: It's really tricky because I think that even just work it means lots of different things. To lots of different people because you're right Mayor about that the grind is out of fashion. But that's also because in a very self focused culture, the vibe is, why would I kill myself for you? I don't mean you literally, yeah, I mean my box?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Then why would I put in overtime? I've never seen my children, never get to go to my mum's birthday, miss my best friend's you know, engagement party, so that my boss likes me more like, I think that in a more self focused culture, they're like what they want, a much clearer idea of what this exchange is, like what do I need to do to get what I need? And maybe they're still into the hustle if it just benefits them, do you know what I mean? Because I think that that's part of this cultural shit. I think whereas what me is talking about about the gen X work culture, and I think this is particularly true probably of women, because if you think about how hard many many women had to work to prove themselves in traditional industries. It was like, can I go above and beyond? I need to be better than everybody. I will stay that extra two hours, I will come in early. It was like a striving that maybe the culture underneath has looked at and gone. But what did you get for that?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: What did you really get for that?
Speaker 2: You said it was self focused, which is part of it, But I also think it's being very sensitive to exploitation. And we've probably had a generation where some workers did feel exploited, or there's a generation I think COVID was also a moment where people were laid off, they lost their jobs for this thing that they gave everything too, and then the workplace turned around didn't love you back. And you have the workplace some workplaces where you go, oh, I'm working around the clock for something that isn't giving me what I'm giving it, which I think is somewhat of a workplace revolution.
Speaker 3: So I think all that goes into the pot and mixes up and sort of comes out in this realignment we're having. But in terms of that thing about age, I think it's more about priorities, right because to me A's point at the beginning that if you're working to put a roof over your head and food on the table, and so you're taking on extra shifts to do that, and maybe you're a single parent and maybe you know then that's like the bare necessities. But then if you've established that, then the choice becomes what is the payoff between the amount of work I'll do to get more and what it will take from me? Because I think, of course it's okay to work all the time, but you've got to expect that that'll cost you elsewhere. Like any arrangement in your life, you'll put in and you'll have to sacrifice something for it.
Speaker 4: I also found it a really unsatisfying conversation because it was between two men. Not only do they not have dependence that they spoke of in the form of children, but they also were men. So the culture and what we internalize around women and work is very, very different. It's why I always think about actresses like Angelina, Julie and Nicole Kidman. They always have to talk about I work to help other people. I do these roles for my daughters, I do these roles for my mother. It's like, do you actually Because it's so forbidden for a woman.
Speaker 1: To say, I bloody love work.
Speaker 4: And that's not to say we don't feel conflicted and we have to find ways to justify. But Nico doesn't have to do shit that she doesn't want to. She works a ton, and yet she still has to perform this pantomime of it's not because I enjoy it, it's selfless.
Speaker 2: There has to be something moral about your ambitions.
Speaker 3: We talked about this once when I was saying how uncomfortable it makes me in my life when the narrative that Brent will tell the kids if I'm not around is Mummy's working really hard for us, right, And I entirely understand why he says that, and it's true I am, But is that the only reason, Like, could I not similar outcome that we would have food on the table and we would make the mortgage payments and I could be home a bit more. Yes, if the only fact, if the only variable was mummy's working hard for the food and the mortgage, then there probably could be a workaround that would mean I was around more. But that's why I think you've got to own the selfish part a little bit. And selfish is a negative word, but it's like, but I do love it, and I do love my words.
Speaker 4: You just said, so you didn't say ambitious. When someone says a woman is ambitious, it's usually particularly if it's another woman, it's coded as being she's selfish, because that's how women working for any other reason than necessity or for the benefit of someone else, it's coded as selfish. And the other thing that's worth noting is that the Internet is allowed us to work all the time. Like it used to be that you couldn't like there was only so much you could do thanks to technology or the lack of it.
Speaker 1: Now there's no endpoint.
Speaker 3: The people I know who have the best boundaried work life balance, to use that Hackney term, in my life are people whose jobs are very clearly on and very clearly off and like although Mea will always win obviously the working hard Olympics around here because she runs a business that never literally never turns off. My work is I rarely have a day off because there's always something that can be done, Whereas when I had a more managerial role, I probably was at work more, but I had more clear definition. And that's a big difference.
Speaker 4: To out loud as in a Moment, a truish story that was based on a lie and changed everything.
Speaker 3: Vibes, ideas, atmosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 1: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 4: It's time for our recommendations, the things that we are recommending.
Speaker 1: As the name suggests, Wow, now we all have that should be the tapping.
Speaker 2: Line for this segment for.
Speaker 1: You to watch.
Speaker 4: I'm going to trademarket and put it on T shirt. We all have things for you to watch.
Speaker 1: You might have to want to go fast.
Speaker 3: You're going to go first.
Speaker 2: You know those weeks when you can't wait for Friday because you're so desperate to recommend what you need to recommend, because you fucking nailed your recommendation. Yeah, that's me this week. I'm late to the party. But season two of this season has just dropped, so it's been sort of reinvigorated Severance.
Speaker 5: What you all did was one of the most painful moments in the history of this company. But the four of you have become known as the face of Severance reform.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're not in trouble.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Melchik said, we're famous, all of us equally, or one of us is like to start So what.
Speaker 3: The hell did you guys see up there? It's not our world up there, And.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm on the Severance train. It is a show on Apple TV, and it's about work right, It's work. It is stunning, it is brilliant, it is genius, it is life changing from the beginning.
Speaker 1: Okay, everyone's time three times to watch it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a hack for you in terms of that. But I'm going to start by saying, it's got Adam Scott, Scott, Tricia Quet, it's got Christopher Walken, it's directed by Ben Steel. My god, that saying more. Okay, Maya. I saw the ad I read the description. I watched half an episode two years ago, and I went, it's not for me.
Speaker 1: Stopian felt like black Meer and now like The Office.
Speaker 2: God, no, it's like black Mirror.
Speaker 3: So it's not funny.
Speaker 2: It is. Actually it's dark. It's got kind of dark humor. It's a psychological thriller. It's dystopian. But I got halfway through the episode and I looked at Lucra and I went, no, it's just not doing it for me, and he was like, no, no, no, I'm in by the end of that first you just youve got to trust me. Okay, Okay, you just got to watch the first episode. Now, this is a premise. So Mark Scout, who's played by Adam Scott, is an employee at a company called Luhmen. Right, and Luhmen does this thing where they insert a chip in your brain and you become a severed employee. What that means is that when you walk into your work building, you become your work self, otherwise known as an inny, and you have no memories of your outing. So you go and have a work day, like we're having our work day right now. I don't even know I have a kid, I don't know I'm married.
Speaker 3: I presider of bringing your whole self to words, it's the opposite.
Speaker 2: And then you walk out and then I go home to Luna could have state secrets. I've got absolutely no idea. So that big idea. The big question is why would someone choose that what has happened in someone's life to go Why would they consent to that in the first place, because they've signed up for it? Right, Oh my god, it's just so so so okay. It's like the best episode of Black Mary you've ever seen. Back in twenty twenty two, when the first season came out, it was nominated fourteen Emmys, Right, and then we have waited years because of writers strikes, because of all of this. For the next season. I started on Friday, and I am now up to date and it's just oh, okay, watch it whole.
Speaker 1: I've got a movie.
Speaker 3: I went to the movies. I had a date night at the movies the other week, and I watched A Complete Unknown, which is the movie that Timothy Challamaye plays Bob Dylan in, and I bloody loved it.
Speaker 5: You tramped all the way from Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I catch you smoke.
Speaker 5: If you're traveling.
Speaker 3: In the north drift.
Speaker 4: I see.
Speaker 3: No one wants to hear when he can't roll. Last month, well, I like your songs with.
Speaker 5: The winds hit heavy on the boardline? Who wrote this?
Speaker 4: He did?
Speaker 3: Remember me? How about that jump by as folks?
Speaker 1: Because she's pretty, sings pretty once, maybe.
Speaker 3: A little too pretty, true love. Your songs are like an oil painting and the dentist's office.
Speaker 5: You're kind of an asshole bomb if.
Speaker 4: You go.
Speaker 3: FA usual complaint of all movies now too long. But I didn't even mind.
Speaker 2: No, Holy I looked it up because I went, I'm going to say that. On Saurday night, two hours and twenty minutes, I said, I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't have a brutalist, which is four hours.
Speaker 3: No, my mom went to see that. She said she'd only go if she was allowed to have a drink in the entire My dad was like, sure, anyway, I Digress two hours twenty is long, but it is so good. It is so good because the music is brilliant. You're transported in time to a batter life for a time.
Speaker 1: Because I don't like his music at all.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, when I heard someone say that, really, I've heard lots of people say that.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just I say it all.
Speaker 3: Think it helps, like you don't have to like all Bob Dylan, but those iconic sixties songs like a rolling Stone. Oh my god, I couldn't love it more. Anyway, it's the story of him. But the thing is so it's a biopic, right, and it's directed by the guy who directed like Walk the Line and all those Johnny Cash. He's the guy who makes all the biopics. I think he's married Tellen Mirrn Anyway, again, We Digress isn't one of those biopics where it's like and he was born in this town and he did this. It's very much one of those biopics that just takes one moment in time and Timothy Challon May plays Dylan and he is so extraordinary. I can't even speak about how extraordinary he is.
Speaker 2: I love him.
Speaker 3: How is he?
Speaker 2: I know, We've just he's so talented.
Speaker 3: I think he's had severance chip because when he's working, he seems like the most deep, emotionally intelligent intellect to all dude. And then he just loves a purse, which is fine off the carpet. He just likes pretty girls and nightclubs. Anyway, we digress. Did you just call Carlie general purse. She's been carrying around a little channel purse like that's he Yeah, he dresses very interestingly. You don't hear the word purse very oftti and he loves that anyway. The women in El Fanning, she plays like the girlfriend from the early years who he very quickly cheats on. Monica Barbera, she's nominated for an Oscar's gem By. She's extraordinarily good. I love, love loved it, Ed Norton, it's an Oscar movie.
Speaker 1: Go see it.
Speaker 4: I think mine's more interesting than either of yours. It is called it's a mini series based on a true story. It's called Apples Side of Vinegar and It is the Bell Gibson story. It's out, It came out this week. It's all dropped. It is a feast on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: I have a question, hand up question.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is it the Bell Gibson story or is it inspired by like Strife was inspired by.
Speaker 1: The Bell Gibson story.
Speaker 4: The Bell Gibson story starring an actor whose name I've forgotten, who looks incredibly and sounds incredibly like Bell Gibson. She's American.
Speaker 2: I know her from a very famous American.
Speaker 4: Was this week The Premiere, The Premier, The Premier. The Premier was this week and live from Amamea in our social team presented her with a certificate for the best Australian accent on the red carpet because you would never know. It is flawless anyway. It tells the story of Bell Gibson, of course, who pretended she had brain cancer and launched an app and.
Speaker 1: Got a cookbook deal.
Speaker 4: But it tells the story of two other women parallel to that, whose paths intersected with Belle One is. In the show she's called Miller, but in real life she was a lifestyle blogger and former magazine writer called Jess Ainskoff, who I knew a little bit. She got cancer in her arm, and she chose to back in the early two thousands, she chose to not have traditional medicine and to cure herself with something called the Gerson diet, which was about juices and having coffee ennimals and it's a wellness protocol. Even though the doctors said, if we amputate your arm, there's like a ninety percent chance that you'll be fine, she went, no, I don't want to have chemo. I don't want to lose my arm. I'm going to try this other way. And she discovered basically these charlatans on the Internet. And so it tells the story of how her path intersected with Belle's, how Bell became very inspired slash jealous of her and co opted her story as her own. And then there's the story of a third woman called Lucy, who I think is fictionalized, but she discovers that she has cancer, has traditional treatment, becomes quite disillusioned, and then becomes a disciple of Bell Gibson.
Speaker 5: I'd lied to welcome on the stage.
Speaker 4: Shell Gibson.
Speaker 3: It must have affected her that my book was reviewed as better than her. I'm sorry, who's her Miller?
Speaker 4: She was diagnosed with cancer, so she's consistently maintained.
Speaker 2: I have no reason to doubt her.
Speaker 5: Because in her case it's true.
Speaker 2: It's a funny.
Speaker 3: My doctor said, have brain cancer.
Speaker 1: He's a bloggie my life. She's just like you.
Speaker 2: You do look incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, I've never felt better.
Speaker 3: I have to find the right way for me. I just got each other.
Speaker 1: Loved the session.
Speaker 2: Four body goose bumps, thanks for coming.
Speaker 3: Bell gives him the brain cancer.
Speaker 4: Great and it looks at the paths of these three women and it is so well done.
Speaker 2: Dying to see who wrote it.
Speaker 1: It was written by Samantha Strauss.
Speaker 4: She wrote, Yeah, okay. I think it's based off the original investigative reporting that Nick Tuscani and Oh Yeah Yeah did for the Age many years ago. They won a lot of awards for that, and it's actually produced. I didn't realize by my cousin and Mils Sherman at Sea Saw they've done Slow Horses, the King speech Lion Seesaw does amazing work, like really dramatic worsh My god, I can't wait to say it's brilliant. They've even recreated that famous sixty minutes interview where she's wearing the turtle, where she's wearing the pink turk.
Speaker 3: Do you think we'll do it? Do you think if we all watch it, can we do an episode on it? Do you think me like that? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, I was going to say, I want to do a recap of every episode. We will do a recap episode the three of us. And also, if you want to know more about the Bill Gibson story, We've done a whole podcast about this and it is fascinating her story, So we'll put a link to that in the show.
Speaker 2: Notes after the break Boobs a dethroned King and discovering music taste. It is our best and Worst. Every Tuesday and Thursday, we drop new segments of Mummeya out Loud just from me A. Subscribers follow the link in the show notes to get your daily Joseph out Loud and a big thank you to all our current subscribers.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go first and best and worse this week. I'm a reminder to the group that best and worst can be silly, it can be serious, it can be whatever you want it to be. Very serious worst this week I want to prepare everybody. Okay, Brent is no longer the king of SCons in my.
Speaker 2: Neighborhood because Brent your boyfriend. He won the Scon Award for the best Scottis in the country, or.
Speaker 3: It has been restored. Very quick backstory. I live in regional New South Wales. Country shows are a big deal. The very show was on at the weekend. Everybody enters things so like they have like a puppy with the waggiest tail competition. They have competition for the biggest pumpkins.
Speaker 2: Like the Grammys, and he walked in the Grammys, right yeah.
Speaker 1: And he has New Zealand into local city.
Speaker 3: Brent had baked his famous lemonade scones, which are only famous in the four walls of her house, and entered them into the baking contest, which is hotly contested. Right at these things, there are people there that c w A. There's people there have been They are not the album of the year, album of the year. And he just swooped in like chapel ron a pointy hat and he won last year and the man was insufferable. Actually, we've got the recipe for a scon somewhere. We'll put it somewhere.
Speaker 2: So would you say he was a favorite going into this year?
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: You'd go into town and all anyone would talk to you about was like, is Brent entering his SCons? And then the rumors started. They said, so and so has brought a Thermo mix and she's going to allow Oh yeah, he allowed to use whatever. And she's been practicing and blah blah, and so and so has been practicing every day because everybody wants to beat Brent. And indeed, another friend of mine Ali lid better One and took Brent out.
Speaker 4: He was a very upset a runners up prize or any participation award, get a commendation, maya.
Speaker 3: It was like he fell.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 3: Great heights. He claims that he had to do it very early in the morning. He claims for the self raising flowers old and not new. I'm like, well, that's a rookie era. Anyway, my friend al lid better One. People on the internet have called her Ali did better and made little for her. Ali, I know you're listening. She is an out louder. Congratulations, Brent will never come to your house again.
Speaker 1: I'm not sad because I never got to try one.
Speaker 3: I'll bring you one now that they're not special anyway. My best, which is much nicer, is that my firstborn turned fifteen this week. My daughter and teenage girls get a bad rap often from me.
Speaker 1: Did you give her a G string swim birthday?
Speaker 3: I didn't and she isn't yet wearing one of those, but it's probably not.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: But teenage girls get a bad rap often from us because it can be tricky, like it's a transition of parenting. There is no question from this little person and she was my baby. And this little person who just looks at you like mommy, you know, and she's so delighted and she wants to be with you all the time to this person who basically couldn't care less. She and you nine this year, she's near ten this year. Oh okay. And she mostly has requests for me like can I have and will you take me? And am I allowed to? And very little else. She gets in the car and I often say you have to talk to me for ten minutes before you put earbuds in, and she's like, but the thing there is is my best is because the other side of that is the joy in seeing them become more independent, Like there's sadness for you. And a lot of my friends message my mother's group obviously all our kids turning fifteen, they are messaging each other, and I'm really struggling with this pulling away. But there's also so much joy in seeing and become independent beings. And I just I love it a bits and I look at it and i just think, obviously in my eyes, I'm like, you're.
Speaker 4: Just the most gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, mo, than, what was your worst?
Speaker 1: My worst of the week was actually my boobs, which is.
Speaker 4: So you've got good boobs, bab No, They're too big and I don't like them at the moment. I'm fighting with my boobs. So I've been trying to add testosterone. I'm actually thinking this might be the problem. Although test testosterone adding it to my hr T.
Speaker 3: This is not medical advice. Do not take medical You should do that.
Speaker 4: You can just go and get it like from the shop.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you're having to play.
Speaker 4: No. I was prescribed it biomedical professional based on my hormonal levels, which were measured because I'm postmenopausal now, and so every time I've tried to use it, it's not agreed with me. And I well, the first time I realized I used twice as much as I was meant to.
Speaker 2: Did you grow a bit?
Speaker 4: Did? I wanted to vomit and I felt really wrong, felt terrible. And then I went and went, oh, I actually was meant to be one pump, but I put one pump under each arm instead of just one pump between the two arms. Anyway, now I'm having like a quarter of a pump. I don't think it's agreeing with me. It gave me a period. I started spotting my boobs were like sore in the way that they feel like when you're about to get your period or when you're pregnant. And I was like, imagine if I was pregnant, but I'm not pregnant.
Speaker 2: Ply's laugh Now, well it's so beautiful focus I have a baby, and you're like, I want a baby, and I'm like, Maya, you're fifty something.
Speaker 1: It's miracle.
Speaker 4: Anyway, but my boobs just became so big, and I just became I started thinking about getting a breast reduction.
Speaker 1: This week. They've settled down a bit now.
Speaker 3: Maybe just back off the testosterone.
Speaker 4: Jel yeah, I have. I've stopped that again. Anyway, So that was my worst.
Speaker 3: I just want to give you a compliment though, because I think you dress your boobs very well, because you've been I'm telling me for a while now how much you don't like your big boobs, But I don't notice.
Speaker 4: I think that you're interesting. This is not a diss on anyone's big boobs. I have no objection. They just feel because I didn't grow up with big boobs, I'm just not used to it.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've had.
Speaker 3: A boob job, like you're in someone else's body.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Anyway, My best is Jesse mentioned we launched biz this week. I think it's like our sixtieth podcast or something. I've kind of lost count. What's been so fun on the show has been all the talent. Like there's Sophurst who used to work at Google, Michelle Battersby, who is an entrepreneur. She has a company called Sunroom, and she's been a chief marketing officer for Bumble and she's done amazing things as well, and of course our own lazy girl, and Vernon who's very ambitious but also wants to just have a good lightoun who doesn't need, who does need? And Vernon because what she brings to the show is a lot of humor and also the perspective of what you were talking about, Jesse, which is the I'm ambitious, but I'm also just.
Speaker 2: A very fresh take on career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so it sounds different, It sounds like a different show. It's a lot of fun. I really love that process of just working creatively with the team on that show, including our Grepp Georgie, Who's and now it's we're just letting it into the world and it's being received really well and I'm stoked. So that's my best of the week.
Speaker 2: New Talent Worst has been a while coming along with this podcast. For the last three and a bit years, I've been co hosting another podcast called Canceled, which is my favorite thing going in and recording that. It's my twin sister, Claire and I sit there and just laugh for forty five minutes. We have had some of the best times in that studio. And over the last few months, Claire has been making some career decisions. She's been finishing off a book, and when you write a book, it's a very solitary task and by the end you kind of go, oh, wow, look what I can do On my own, and I think that she sort of looked up and went, I have some projects that I feel, especially when you're a twin, much of what you do and who you are is about that relationship and it's a bit of codependence. And so Claire came to this conclusion over summer, I think I want to do a few things on my own, and that would mean stopping doing canceled and it broke my heart, Like I wasn't ready for it to finish. I felt like I was dumped and that I was sister by my sister, and also like I was going, oh, but almost you know, when you beg them to take you back and look, it was a classic it's not you, it's me situation, like it was what Claire is planning. And I think that once you've had a baby, your priority shift and all that kind of stuff. And it's been really really hard to kind of see that gap and the community that we've built and the listeners we have so so much fun, and to have to sit down and we recorded last episode, which was so fun, but to have to tell them, I was like, oh, I have so much fun chatting to you every way.
Speaker 4: A lot of our latters of who are also canceled listeners. Holly and I have been asking when's canceled coming?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really sad. And I think that Claire will go and do projects, and we go off and do our own things, and then we'll be back doing something in some capacity at some point. But for now it's it's resting. We have a back catalog of a million episodes that are so much fun. But I'm very, very.
Speaker 4: Sad to see that that's the end of an era.
Speaker 2: It's the end of an era. Look, my best what.
Speaker 1: Are you what podcast? Are you going to quit this week?
Speaker 3: I'm not quitting me. In fact, we just brought it back. I suddenly thought, hey, I've got to jump on this quick and get a mid plumb. This week it's me talking to Amanda Kella and her best friend of NADA about friendship love and I cry in the intro because I wrote an intro about my best friend and about ex friends and friendships and cheerleading friends and feedback friends, and it made me cry. Me and producer Grace were like crying in there, and I was like, this isn't how this is supposed to go. Anyway, Go listen to one of those friendships that you like. I see why, the chemistry of this world.
Speaker 2: I love those episodes. Well, my best is that for the last eighty months of my life I have listened to more Wiggles than anyone should ever listen to. Right, and no hate to the Wiggles. I like them, but it does something to you psychologically when you.
Speaker 3: And you begin to obsess about them. I began to obsess about them and like start obsessing their private life.
Speaker 2: I follow them stories to yourself. I see them on TikTok and I'm like, Hi, how are you so high? You live in my house? Yeah, you live in my house exactly. And over the weekend I was going to visit my pop and where he is at the moment is fifty minutes away right long Cartridge, and I tried to play my podcast. I try to play my music. It's just a firm no on that. It's always from from the backseat, firm No Wiggles Anyway, Figgles. We have changed and now we have a new request. And you know what the new request is, Taya, Oh, we've become obsessed with Taylor's to our Well, it's our auntie who is the craziest Swifty, you've ever met? She loves Taylor Swift. And I think that maybe Luna seems to know a lot about the album and the Eras tour, which is weird because she's not last screen time. But when I did catch her watching the Eras tour, she could do a choreographed routine.
Speaker 3: What's her favorite Taylor song?
Speaker 2: Well, she started requesting one. There's one called the One. I didn't even know there was one called the One. So I was like, hey, Siri, play the one and the one and she loves it.
Speaker 1: It was also like, so I can do it with a broken heart.
Speaker 2: She does.
Speaker 3: She started tworking.
Speaker 2: She started working, and then the other day we've been trying to teach her to say love, so I go, I love you. I loved it, Like we're trying to get her to say it, and she's going love love and then she goes I love and there was this pregnant pause and she goes Taya down and she starts doing a little twerk. I was like, so the best was that for fifty minutes I got to listen to Taylor Swift. Fifty minutes I listened back and I was like, I can lyrically musically.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's an incredible songwriter.
Speaker 2: I'm here. This is Taylor more for filling for Mummy than hot potato better bridges.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is the plan from Auntie. Is she a doctrin hu via your door?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, and I'll be going to the next tour.
Speaker 3: Love Love, That is all we've got time for today. Out Louder is a massive thank you to you for being with us all week. Of course, we'll be back in your ears next week. But if you still want more of us, and why wouldn't you, of course, listen to yesterday's episode about Night Bitch. It is an extraordinary TV show, the Amy Adams One about motherhood and dogs. All of us watched it, all of us discussed it, loved it, loved it. There's a link in the show notes. Go listen. Jesse Adma read us out.
Speaker 2: A big thank you to our team group executive producer Ruth Devine, Executive producer Emmeline Gazillis.
Speaker 4: She has a recommendation. Em She told me she wanted to pass on to the Out louders. She's been getting really into the fancy flavored tuna and she's even managed to convert our big boss Ruth, who once ranted about.
Speaker 1: The stuff because it's our feedback.
Speaker 4: Yeah it can we be controversial having tune in the office. But also Ruth didn't like that there were too many tunas.
Speaker 2: No because you're buy the wrong one. You go and you get chili oil and you're like, I didn't want that. I wanted sea salt.
Speaker 4: But M's like, lean in, they're having pesto tuna. It's just a big I think it's Serena. M's now a Tuna influencer anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Reco.
Speaker 2: Our audio producer is Leah Porgies who's probably aiding Tuna too, and video producer Josh Green.
Speaker 3: Bye byey.
Speaker 4: Shout out to any Mum and Maya subscribers listening. If you love the show and want to support us as well, subscribing to Mom and Mia is the very best way to do so. There is a link in the episode description.