Speaker 1: Welcome to the Kick Your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to be born.
Speaker 1: And our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 2: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone. I'm Bridget Maloney.
Speaker 2: And I'm obstetrician doctor Patrick, and today we.
Speaker 1: Thought we would cover a topic where you hear about pregnancy symptoms all the time, so you think that they're common and you make the assumption that they're normal. Sure, And part of that reason could be that we all want to be reassured. Yeah, so you say to your mate, oh, you know, I've got this really painful, sharp pain in my hips as I'm walking up the stairs or whatever, and your mate goes, oh, yeah, I'm sorry, love, you're just pregnant.
Speaker 2: You're pregnant. I had that, Yeah, yeah, I had that.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing people do is they reassured by saying it's okay, I had that.
Speaker 2: Ye, But there are some things that actually are potentially a sign of a serious issue in pregnancy that so they should be checked out. And what we as obstrics do is check that out for its potential serious cause and if it's not that, then maybe it is just because you're pregnant.
Speaker 1: All right, Patty, I want to start with something that I think is the most overlooked symptom of pregnancy, and that is the impact of pregnancy on your mental health.
Speaker 2: So this is a big one, isn't it. Because there are times when you you know you're pregnant, you're tired, there might be musculo schaletal pain, there might be anxiety about how the pregnancy is going. And there there would be some days, individual days when you might actually meet the diagnostic definition of someone with mental health issue, but it's just that day and you really are just pregnant. Other times the person complaining of those things actually does have a serious mental health issue. And we're going to work out, you know, who's tired and will be fine tomorrow and who's in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those people that preps are in trouble, they don't come out with things like you know, I think I have anxiety or depression, or they don't say I feel like harming myself or I'm constantly thinking that there's something really wrong with my baby. They don't say that, do they.
Speaker 2: No, that's quite rare, really for someone to come out with an obvious, lay down MAS diagnosis, But they will often report a string of symptoms that, taken individually, could easily be dismissed as the ups and downs of pregnancy or a new parent, but looked at as a collection, you're going to stop, think twice and think, hang on a minute, are we missing a more significant issue here?
Speaker 1: So we can leave our audience with something if they feel that this is perhaps something that they've been just sneakily saying something to their partner or to their mother or sister or friend, or something about their mental health because they're a little bit worried about how they're feeling. What are some of the things that would make you want to investigate whether someone's mental health needs help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question. There are a couple of different models. There's a thing called red flag model for mental illness, where there are some questions you can ask that are pretty much if those things are present, it's really never normal. So the big one is suicidal ideation. So if you're thinking about killing yourself all day, that's never normal and always highly significant. So you just have to get really comfortable with as a doctor with asking people whether they're planning to harm themselves or kill themselves. And the more the more you practice asking it, the easier it is to ask it. And no one's ever offended. They just say or even weirded out people often think, wow, good doctor's asked me that. And that's a good point. So it's the it's the care that has the awkwardness, not the patient. I've never had anyone stand up more going don't be ridiculous. People go, yeah, look now, thanks for asking that, because there are days when I've thought it might have been easier not to be here. And then we go, let's talk about this some more. You know, are you hoarding your medication to a term suicide? You know, so we press that, you know, for detail, and you know, and and and somebody who's doing that probably needs, you know, might need inpatient psychiatric care, whereas someone who just says some days it feels too hard and that person needs more support. But but but they're not they don't have mental illness, so so yeah, there are there are some red flag type questions. If people's mood is particularly bad, they'll often start to develop other symptoms, like a loss of appetite or something called early morning waking, when you wake up three o'clock in the morning prevously no reason, You're wide awaken, com back, can't get back to sleep, and these are features of depression, which which helped to tear help delineate the disease of depression from someone who's just having a bad run. And one of the problems with pregnancy and newborn care is they kind of overlap with normality a little bit because the breastfeeding mummy is up at night. It can be hard to prioritize your own epidity in the twenty four hour day phenomenon of you know, you've just come out of a complex hormonal environment of being pregnant and now you've got a twenty four hour day job looking after a baby.
Speaker 1: That is hard for the woman herself but also partners in how do they support their partner by saying, you know, well, I think this is just pregnancy hormones, or no, I think you need to discuss this further with your doctor. Yeah, like that that is very tricky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do rely on expertise, so nobody. I don't think anybody in the history of poor mental health has ever been pleased that they've got poor mental health. You know, we try and take the stigma out of it, but nobody wants it as a condition. So we need to be sort of reaching out to our support is more readily, and then the cares need to be asking that the right questions of everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that we started with that one that is common but not necessarily normal if you feel like you've got any of these things that we've just discussed. So that's our first good good. I want to move on to another one that I knew was not normal in my fourth pregnancy, Like I couldn't roll out over in bed without excruciating pain in my powers, or go upstairs or what was the other I want to kick the football, but probably shouldn't have been doing that anyway. I knew that was a problem.
Speaker 2: But if it's your first pregnancy, you might think this is just what being pregnant is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because people say, oh, that's you know, that happened to me. It's just your ligament stretching, you know you'll get over it.
Speaker 2: Yep. So musculo scaletal pain. The where's the line between what to expect in pregnancy and what's an actual separate condition needing treatment. And I think it's one of functionality. So so when you're pregnant, you'll get some musculo sclidal pain, but give or take, you should be able to do the things that you need to do in that day. I know that's a broad statement, but you know, for the first for the first three cause of the pregnancy, someone who goes to work in an office and does a desk job, all things being equal, should be able to keep doing that. And if you if you literally can't you, if you can't walk, if you can't take yourself to a bathroom, then that's that's that's not normal, that that's a that's a condition that needs treatment and further examination. So we use we use a physiotherapists, and once or twice a year, I'll have someone with very very severe musculo scletal pain admitted to the hospital for care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it can happen like I remember not getting that pain until I was sort of in later pregnancy. Probably thirty weeks, thirty plus weeks and talking to somebody that got really bad pelvic pain in her early early on in the pregnancy, like eighteen weeks, and me thinking in my brain, I didn't say anything, but me thinking here my brain, well, you know, I'm not sure that that's that's normal, but her thinking it was you know, it can happen at different times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, So again we ideally we're in a care situation, you know, obstetric care with the doctor, midwifree care with midwife. It's where we can say, is.
Speaker 1: This is this normal?
Speaker 2: Normal? This is what's happened to me, what you see happen to other people? Because your care will be good at that and go no like that, No, I don't see that at all. Yeah, most eighteen weeks are fine.
Speaker 1: What about early very early on? We do get lots of questions through the speak pipe about sort of pain, cramping, stretching early on. Yeah, that's something that is normal.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it is, and it is normal. And the and again where does where's the line? The line is definitely if it's associated with bleeding. So someone who's someone who's you know, seven or eight weeks pregnant getting lot of pain ultrasound. And one of the great reasons, one of the great things of having ultrasound machines in our consulting rooms is he just reach for it and just then I needn't send the patient away for an ultrasound. So someone's getting a lot of pain. We want to make sure that the uterus, that the pregnancy is in the right place in the uterus, and we're not. We're not seeing someone who's got a neck topic or god forbid, a ruptured eck topic. And then and bleeding is a is a good line in the sand as well. It definitely shouldn't be bloody, all right.
Speaker 1: I want to run the next scenario by you, and that is we're hear it all the time, and I remember suffering from it too. Is headaches.
Speaker 2: Headaches.
Speaker 1: I pretty much had headaches all throughout my pregnancies, just to sort of my constant for and you know, your head feels sore, but it doesn't sort of go from there, pretty sure that that was just pregnancy. But when where's that line in the sand? When should you go, Okay, well, that isn't normal.
Speaker 2: So it's a great example because headache is really common and I don't know if it's accurate to call it normal. It's just really common, and it's common for it to not represent serious underlying disease. There are times in the pregnancy when progesterone output from the placenta is very high. It peaks from here, it peaks at certain predictable times, and headaches are more common. The problem is that headache can be a symptom of severe preclamps here, and so the line in the sand with headache is what's going with the rest of your body. Yeah, So the headache itself, it should not be unbearably severe, but a low level headache can be harmless. But it's what's going on with everything else. So is there associated visual disturbance? And what's the blood pressure and the urinalysis doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So someone comes in a thirty weeks with headache, first thing I'm doing is taking their blood pressure, checking their ankles for swelling, and checking the urine for protein. If the headache is part of an onset of severe preclams, tour in their bloo pressure one hundred and sixty, one hundred and ten, that's preclaims here, and they need to be in the hospital and being worked up and managed. If everything else is normal and the headache is there, then we talk about managing the headache as best we can.
Speaker 1: Which we are in pregnancy allowed or able to take paracetamol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, paracetamol, increase fluids, you know, things like allied health treatments, massage to the neck, trigger point treatments, all sorts of things can be really good for headache. And things that we can do that are nice for ourselves, like get a pregnancy massage and things like that can all make low level, long standing headache and pregnancy more tolerable. But the number one thing we're gonna do is make sure that just because it's common doesn't mean it's normal, and we're not sitting on a headache as a manifestation of a more severe diagnosis.
Speaker 1: And if anyone is worried about taking paracetamol because of the claims made on social media that perhaps there's a link to autism, that is not true.
Speaker 2: That is not true, and it's been conclusively disproved. And we take our health advice from experts.
Speaker 1: I think anyone listening to this podcast are taking their advice from experts. That's what I would like to think, all Right, I'm going to run this scenario by you, and that is that you know, it's later in pregnancy and I'm sitting on the couch and I'm feeling a little bit short of breath, and people around me go, oh god, the baby's in the wrong positions. Just they're pushing up on your lung That happened to me. Yeah, no, wonder you're short of breath because you're running out of room there, look at your belly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this is another good one, because sometimes it's normal and sometimes it's not. And the sort of shortness of breath that we should that we can experience in pregnancy and can be normal is a sort of a vague feeling that we can't quite catch our breath and a subtle feeling of being very mildly short of breath. And that's thought to be another progesterone effect, but it's it's not the same as somebody who literally literally can't get said breath. And the other thing we worry about with shortness of breath is a pulmonary embolus of blood clot in the lungs, and the typical textbook presentation of that is sudden nonset shortness of breath. So I was fine and then bang, I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Like when you say bang like straight away, like all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, so that's a blood clot potentially shifting from your legs to your lungs and suddenly, you know, in a matter of minutes, I was fine, and then I was then I was not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that is a very definitive way of thinking about that I have. I didn't know that, so I I had always thought that a palmary embolism would cause like a gradual shortness of breath, and I would know that perhaps perhaps I've got an embolism.
Speaker 2: No, well, the textbook definition is sudden onset, and and you know, I guess a small one could cause something that was less dramatic or more more gradual. But it's typically seen in somebody who is who is sick, a hospital level type sick, and somebody who's had a vague pregnancy related shortness of breath that's been there for weeks but otherwise looks fine, needs needs. Some baseline investigations will put a little peek on your finger and measure the oxygen saturation. But if that's all normal, then then then we conclude that it's irritated but normal.
Speaker 1: I think with shortness of breath that I remember, like if you have exerted yourself physically, like you've just gone off three steps or you've quickly run after a toddler or something like that. Yes, that feeling is uncomfortable. That shortness of breath. It feels weird. It's something that you didn't have when you were not pregnant. But it's gone, like you just stopped for a.
Speaker 2: Tick results and results. Yeah, someone with pulmonary endless it doesn't settle with rest.
Speaker 1: Next, I want to talk about itching. Now, pregnancy for some people can be an itchy time. They feel irritated and they want to each sort of different parts of their body and stuff. But you know what people would say, because we instantly want to reassure someone, Oh, that's normal, it's just your skin stretching that happened to me. Put some whatever lotion on. What's going through your mind when you hear me say that.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one there's one or two severe causes of itch in pregnancy that we like to try and exclude. And sometimes it's possible to exclude it on the pattern, and other times we need to do some blood tests. So there's the things called a There's a thing called a pups rash, which is a raise ration. When you told me that needs some blood tests to make sure that the liver's working properly and has it and has an actual treatment and should be treated. There's another thing called coolystasis of pregnancy, which is a severe, potentially severe form of liver dysfunction in pregnancy that can be dangerous for the baby. And that needs a blood tests and it's got a treatment and investigations. And they both cause they both can cause a pattern of itchiness that might ring a bell to your care team. But some people just get itchy and some people, some women's stretch marks are itchy. Yeah, so we do take it seriously. Well, we would be asking about the pattern when did it come on? Is it on the soles of the feet and the palms of the hands, or is it on the tummy? Is it all over the tummy or just confined to the stretch marks. And then sometimes testing some liver function and some stuff some things called bilasses, which is just part of the function of the liver to make to make sure that those that it's not a more dangerous form of itch. So someone with a persistent, significant irritating itch in pregnancy, that's when we should be getting checked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, nice, Okay, well I want to move to I think it was Kim Kardashian's candles candles or just the feeling. You know, you sit around in your in your pregnancy, your prenatal group, and you sort of go, okay, well I can't fit my rings on anymore, or my feet aren't fitting into my shoes, or yes, I do have cankles, and everyone goes ha ha ha, So do I look at their.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a relatively easy one. The fluid that builds up on our body when we're pregnant, you can see it in the ankles, it's in your wrists as well, in your hands as well, which you can't quite see it quite as easily. It's pretty obvious when it builds up in the ankles, and if you spend a lot of time sitting, it'll build up around the around the sacram around the bottom of your back as well. And that is fluid that's building up. And the clencher is whether the blood pressure is also a problem. So if the blood pressure is perfectly normal, and there's no evidence of pretty clamsy. Then the swelling is what it is, and we try our best. We wear compression garments and do some fluid massage and keep active. Yeah, and wait until the baby you're more accurately the plus centa is out of the out of your body and then it'll go back to normal. H if if the if there's a lot of swelling in conjunction with high blood pressure, that's preclams here, that's serious dangerousneze treatment. So so check at blood pressure yep.
Speaker 1: And is it sudden that swelling does does you know, you might have a little bit of swelling, but if you've got preclamps here, does it sort of swell fast?
Speaker 2: No? No, So that's why we check the swelling at every anginatal visit.
Speaker 1: It can be subtle, and everybody should be having their blood pressure checked at every antenatal vision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what's what's what's antenatal care for? What? It's not just to come in and you know, smile at your team, have them smile at you and say you good only for being pregnant. There's a point to everything, and and the antenat the big point of their trimester angenatal care. It's actually surveillance for preclams here and ensuring adequate federal growth. Yeah, there's other things, try and pick the babies that are trying to come out backwards and all sorts of things, but the big ticket once the things that have made a real different over the years to maternal health is picking pre clams here before you start fitting, yeah, and treating it with delivery, anti hypertensive drugs, hospital care before mum gets hick, and then picking fetal growth restriction before stillbirth. They that those interventions come out of good anti natal care. And you know, antiinatal care is a concept really only it's one hundred years old.
Speaker 1: It's funny, isn't it. So you know, I would wonder what everybody thinks anti natal care should be providing, because there might be just a gap there because if the practitioner is there going okay, gold standard is I'm checking blood pressure, I'm checking making sure there's adequate fetal growth, and the woman is coming in, And I would and this is what I expected, that that practitioner would be talking to me about other things like, you know, I don't know what supplements I should be on or my general health or so. I just wonder if that's where there's been a bit of a divide.
Speaker 2: Yes, I I don't know where to go, do you? I see what? No, I know, I see what you mean. And I'm not saying those other things shouldn't be done. I'm just saying that that that's that's what it was for. What it was invented for was to prevent poor obstetric outcomes, and it's still doing that. Sometimes it's not obvious to the woman having a normal progress that that's what her cares are doing in the background.
Speaker 1: I loved my obstration and a five minute checks like I was like you, beauty, I'm out of there. Ye want to hang out?
Speaker 2: Not everyone's there for the big check? No, no, yeah, And especially I noticed that the later I'm running, the less people are in for the big check.
Speaker 1: They just like, am I okay, You're never running? Like what are you talking about? All right? Big key one? Nausea and vomiting. I think people are knowing when it's normal as opposed to something like hyperemesis. I don't know. I could be I could be living in my own little bubble there, But when does it When do people you know, sort of say, oh, that's just pregnancy, and when should people say, oh, actually, that's a bit more than just pregnancy.
Speaker 2: Yes, So that that there are some rules about this one as well. So I'm pleased that there is a good kind of red flag rule for most of these. I've never really thought about it this way. But whilst it can be quite normal to have nausea in volmiting in early parts of pregnancy, it's not normal for that nausea and vomiting to be so severe that the woman gets dehydrated or malnourished. So dehydration and malnourishment are serious and dangerous not only for the woman's general health, but also for the well being of the pregnancy. Ah. And you know, a good indicator of dehydration is the presence of of key tones in the urine. So our body only makes key tones when it's undergoing a form of abnormal metabolism that creates key tones as a byproduct. So if someone is reporting a lot of noise, you're involmiting some relief from their tablets but finding it a bit difficult. And you take their urine sample and the jar is full, you know, they go the toil and they come back with the full jar and you dipstick it's normal. That's somebody who's got an irritating problem with nausea involmiting, but is managing it pretty well and would be best advised advised to keep going and hope that it settles it. Twelve works and the if someone comes back with it with the best they can do is a tiny bit of very very dark urine that's positive for key tones, then then then that's somebody who needs intravenous rehydration so that they're the sort of clinches, because just because it's common doesn't mean the degree that you're experiencing it is normal.
Speaker 1: And apart from going to the doctor to have that key tone test, what would make that person think, actually, I need to test whether this is normal.
Speaker 2: If you've noticed that you're not making nearly enough urine in the day, so substantially less than you're normally making, so that you go way less often and when you do go there's way less volume. That's not normal.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, all right? This one gets my goat and I hear it time and time again, and on some big podcasts where the baby is movements have slowed down and people say Oh, that's okay. It's just that your baby's getting ready to be born. It's just resting, or you know, the baby's just asleep, or it could be some I think that we like to reassure people because we really don't like the answer or what might have caused that baby's fetal movements to slow down. So we got no, no, you're right, you know the baby's just sleeping.
Speaker 2: Well, no one wants to be a negative, now, you know. I certain say to the pregnant woman, oh my god, you should get that checked out. But one hundred percent you should get that checked out. There are no it's not true that we can accept absent fetal movements towards term. That's that's just not right at all. What we might experience is a change in the pattern. But it's then important for us to learn the new pattern and say, okay, baby's moving to because you know, well people move, and now the baby's the pattern's changed a bit because there's a bit less room. But the baby's still got a pattern, and we need to learn that new pattern so that we can have daily reassurance. We never go to sleep in the at night on absent field movements.
Speaker 1: I love the analogy that you've used. I think maybe now Grow my Baby program, perhaps on this podcast as well, where you talk about, like you imagine, when you've been really sick at home in bed, you've still got up to go to the tour.
Speaker 2: I still get up to have a pee and go out of the kitchen, make yourself panut butter toast, and you know, watch some bad TV, and then have another pen and go back to bed. So if you didn't move at all all day, most chances are you there would be something very, very very wrong with you. So that's not to say that every time a baby doesn't seem to be moving there's something wrong, but it means that there might be, and that that should be checked out. So we don't hope for the best and think I'll call it doc tomorrow. We provoke movements in the way that we've discussed before. Have a glass of ice cold water, poke ourselves in the tummy, get into bed between cool sheets, anything that we've noticed in the past makes the baby move. Have a shower, warm shower, cold shower, whichever one's made the baby move before. And if we're still not happy, we called our care team that night.
Speaker 1: That night, Yeah, and you know, you get phone calls all at any time, which is great, so our patients know that they're not going to go to bed on a no fetal movements, but provoke some doesn't work call me and it's a bit hard, I think perhaps in the public system. So you you really haven't haven't got to that point yet where you've got the ready number whatever.
Speaker 2: You have a number because you need to know where you get where to go when you go into labor. Yeah, so you should have wherever you're having your baby on it. You'll have a number. If you have you're having your baby at home, you'll have someone someone to someone to call. Yeah, and then you run that that scenario by them.
Speaker 1: All right on my list. We had bleeding in pregnancy. We've sort of covered that, yep, so you need to have that checked. And we've covered the abdominal pain gets blamed on stretching. We've I think we've we've done that. We haven't talked about urine enough. We have a little bit. But ut eyes, some people say, oh, through my pregnancy, I had a UTI you know constantly or you know at least five times.
Speaker 2: That was normal.
Speaker 1: It was just the pregnancy. When should we think that that's not It might be common, but it's not normal.
Speaker 2: There aren't any normal u ties, so that's an easy one. They all need investigation and treatment. Yep, that's an easy one. That there's them. You might have urinary frequency from the bladder being compressed by the baby's head, but that's not a UTI. So there are only normal ut eyes and we can't just say I'm pregnant. They're bad luck. Each one you in specimen to the dock, get a culture takes mandy bidics move on. So a bad UTI that spreads upwards towards the kidneys, so called pylon auphritis, is a common cause of mature labor and delivery, and it needs to be headed off when it's just in the bladder.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, So we've talked about lots of things that are common. These are the most common symptoms of pregnancy. We talked a little bit what people should do if they suspect that that it's it's not normal anymore. Can we just go through the framework where how somebody should go and get a review?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think that the that the red flag system that we've discussed today, you know, just does that does the does the problem have features that are concerning and a good A good template might be is it is it new? Is it getting worse? Is it impacting my function? And does it feel really different to what I was expecting? Great?
Speaker 1: And if I'm a partner or a friend and somebody's told me something about their pregnancy that's concerning, that's concerning instead of reassuring.
Speaker 2: I think we should speak up. We should speak up. Definitely, definitely want to discuss with your caregivers. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to offer the solution, but you Sometimes people just need to have permission to say, actually, no, I don't think that there's normal. I think you should get that checked out.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think if the person's brought up the thing with you in the first place, they're unlikely to be offended if you say no, actually that doesn't seem right to me. And please to be wrong if you get if you get checked out and everything's fine, that's what antenatal care is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please to be wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, no, that's what angenatal care is. I mean, of the thousand things that I check in a month, there might be dead that are abnormal.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: Seriously abnormal.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's great, all right everyone. I hope that has helped people are going to jump on this episode just because they think, oh my god, you know I've got this symptom? Is that normal? I hope this has been a really useful episode for you.
Speaker 2: If it has, please.
Speaker 1: Share it with a friend, or if you feel inclined to give us a five star review on your wherever you get your podcast from. Once Spotify or Apple see that review, they push it out as a recommended listen to others. So it really does help us in promoting our podcast, and we thank you for doing that. Good all right, until next week. We hope you are keeping well and growing those babies.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, bye for now. Hey, even though doctor Pat is well a doctor and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, I just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice. When you go her your baby