Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom and Me a podcast if you love extraordinary stories. M plus subscribers get early access to new episodes and seasons of the show. To listen to unreleased episodes right now, head to mamamea dot com dot au, forward slash M plus that's mp l us, or follow the link in the episode description. Juliette Ashby and Amy Winehouse met when they were four years old at Osage Primary School in Southgate, London. Amy says they were both a bit off key. Juliette described their personalities as a bit nutty. They became fast friends and they were always in trouble. Over the next two decades, their friendship would face many challenges, or what Juliette describes as when Amy acts like a dickhead and I have to pick her up, which is more or less all of the time. In two thousand and seven, Amy Winehouse told The Guardian she'd be dead if it wasn't for Juliet easily. The years after Amy's second album, Back to Black, tested the friendship repeatedly, but Juliet knew she would always stand by her Amy, and Amy knew she could always find her way back with Juliette. On the twenty second of July twenty and eleven, Amy Winehouse called her best friend. Juliet told the twenty fifteen documentary Amy that it was a conversation she'd been waiting and hoping for.
Speaker 2: She rang me up, and I looked at the phone and I thought, oh my god, like, what's happened now, because that's the first thing that goes in my head. And she just went jewels and it was Mi Amy, completely normal, and all she kept saying was and she'd never done this before. She just kept saying sorry. It was that complete clarity over the whole situation of the nightmare of the past, however many years that we'd just gone through. Jules, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. You know that when you're a kid in your panic, that you've done something wrong and you want to just fix it there and then that's how it was.
Speaker 1: Amy asked Juliette if they could catch up soon. Juliette said, of course they could. The next day, juliet turned on her TV to this news.
Speaker 3: Let me bring you some breaking news now coming into us from sky sources. The singer Amy Winehouse has been found dead in her North London flat. The twenty seven year old singer who found much critical acclaim has been found dead at her flat in North London.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the final installment of the Amy Winehouse story. On the last episode, we heard how a month before Amy's death, her performance at a music festival in Serbia was resoundly panned. She was intoxicated for the whole world to see. But the silver lining of what would be labeled as the worst gig of her career meant she didn't have to go on tour. It meant Amy and those who loved her had their hopes pinned on a chance for Amy to get better again. On this episode, we'll explore the final years in the life of Amy Winehouse after her closest friends were convinced she was doing better than ever, how did she die and why was she sent to do more shows when she was not only unwilling but unwell.
Speaker 4: It's an enormous pressure to walk down the street, to have no anonymity to our people thinking they know you. It's too much. There are days when it's great, but there are more days than not when it really isn't. And I think it's enormous amount for people to cook with, especially people like Amy. It's like putting somebody with a mental health problem in theevile, stressful circumstances you could possibly imagine. I'm broadcasting it to the world. Of course it's going to be it's going to be horrendous for.
Speaker 1: Plus, we'll take a closer look at the twenty seven Club. What is this unique curse that looms over the legacies of these young artists. I'm Emma Gillespie and this is extraordinary stories. After her marriage to Blake Fielder civil in May two thousand and seven, Amy Winehouse was about to have the best and the worst year of her life.
Speaker 5: Blake came back on the scene literally weeks after my mother passed away, so is Amy's grandmother. They were just so close. They were as close as mother and daughter.
Speaker 6: They had a very one pertic effect.
Speaker 5: I had an incredibly traumatic effect on all of us, but on Amy and my son Alex as well. It was devastating for them. The timing of everything was just incredible that Blake came back into her life at that moment when she was her most vulnerable.
Speaker 1: With five Grammys in her trophy, cabinet and an internationally adored album. Amy could no longer leave the house without being stalked by cameras and reporters.
Speaker 7: I think it just goes hand in hand. I think when you become as famous as she did and as good as singer, and you know what she did in her short period of time in music, I think it just comes hand in hand, and you can't once it starts. I think it's very hard for you.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's all about publicity, that's the name of the game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I think sometimes it did go a bit too far. You know, there are a lot of press about all the time.
Speaker 1: Following the release of Back to Black, she was faced with an intense touring schedule, one that lasted years, not months. As her physical appearance deteriorated, rumors grew louder and louder. Everyone thought she was on drugs, and everyone knew the person closest to her was a drug addict.
Speaker 8: She became really withdrawn. I think everyone knew. You know, Amy was never clean. Cart she loved a dream can, she smoked weed, but you know when she met he was an addict, and it was him who introduced her to harder drugs like heroin. I just think their relationship was kind of all consuming.
Speaker 1: It made them tabloid catnip demonized by the press. Day in day out, Amy became trapped within an inescapable fish bowl as a feeding frenzy of cameras stalked her every move. The glare of attention was beginning to overshadow Amy's accolades and her abilities as a singer songwriter. We became more quick to associate her with bad behavior than with her music.
Speaker 9: I guess from being around a pop, from being around a block, I guess people know that I don't really do what I'm told to do, although I don't really care enough about what people think of me to conform to anything.
Speaker 1: By August two thousand and seven, it had proved almost too much for Amy. She was hospitalized for an overdose of a cocktail of heroin, ecstasy, coke, ketamine and booze. The twenty three year old had her stomach pumped and was administered a shot of adrenaline at London's University College Hospital. At the time, in an article headlined the Trouble with Amy, The Guardian wrote.
Speaker 10: Her extreme weight loss over the last eighteen months coupled with the declining quality of her increasingly inebriated live performances, has prompted speculation that the singer suffers from more serious issues than alcoholism.
Speaker 1: Her label, Island Records wanted to sweep it under the rug, blaming the collapse on severe exhaustion, issuing a statement that read Amy was discharged from the hospital this afternoon and has been advised to take complete rest. Scheduled performances in Norway and Denmark this week have been canceled. Amy's dad and her manager decided to stage an intervention. Her father, Mitch Winehouse, had finally changed his tune, and he insisted it was time for Amy to go to rehab to get sober have some time away from Blake. Everyone in Amy's life felt she couldn't get better with Blake by her side, but as stubborn as ever, Amy kept on fighting for her marriage.
Speaker 9: You know, I love that boy with dirty hair who rides a motorbike. And even if, even if he doesn't love me back, are still lying the road for him, for love him. You know what I mean, very all or nothing. I like that, you know, I like the mentality at.
Speaker 1: A Hampshire resort After Amy's health scare, her nearest and dearest tried to convince Amy it was time to get clean for good, but within hours of their arrival, dozens of the other hotel rooms were all booked up by tabloid journalists and paparazzi. Every conversation the winehouses were having was recorded on tape, Every moment caught on camera. Even in her lowest moment, Amy couldn't find a reprieve. The Today Shows, La based Hollywood correspondent Dean McCarthy says, sadly, for any youngster, it's a familiar trope.
Speaker 11: I think it is a sad reality that that is the life that they kind of fall into. And I think it's because of the pressures that they're under when they are so young and they're given this gift and everyone wants to take advantage of them, and they're so exposed and exploited.
Speaker 1: And by two thousand and seven, that exploitation was far from over. For Amy. It wasn't just coming from the tabloids either. It seemed the two men in her life, Amy's father, Mitch and her husband Blake, always wanted something from her or her fame, and it seemed both were set on turning Amy against the other. Amy accused her father, a singer himself, of using her to make money and to try and get famous after he began pursuing record deals for himself and talking to media outlets about concerns for Amy's health in paid interviews.
Speaker 5: My big experience that she would die and we will be talking about a very slow and painful death, gasping forever.
Speaker 6: A start warning from the father of the most talented performer of her generation. Mitch Winehouse is adamant his daughter is getting better and it's urging dolls around her to give Amy the chance to make a recovery.
Speaker 5: She won't die of a drug overdose. It won't be that quick.
Speaker 1: Mitch was adamant. He was just trying to keep his little girl safe.
Speaker 5: And as her father, how did that make you feel when you thought this guy that she's in love with hooked up to is driving in to this kind of thing. I was sickened, and I did everything in my power to stop the relationship. But again, what can you do? Loved, she really loved Blake. Did you ever confront him, oh frequently and his family?
Speaker 4: What would you say?
Speaker 5: Leave my daughter alone, leave us alone. You're killing my daughter, he would say, well, I'm not killing her. He would admit to nothing, and his family were in denial, which made it even more difficult because we had them to deal with as well.
Speaker 1: After the collapse and intervention, Amy agreed to go to rehab, but only if she could get clean with Blake. All the health experts warned against it. They said it would never work, but Amy insisted. So Amy and Blake did go to rehab together for about forty eight hours. You might remember paparazzi photos of them both looking thin, underslept, wide eyed, and smeared with blood. They were taken after they checked out of the facility. After Amy and Blake's post rehab drug binge at a London hotel suite, it.
Speaker 8: Just turned really destructive. And that was when they were having the public fights. We were seeing her bleeding in the street and all those horrible pat pics that were really distressing to see. I think that was when it was almost like the point of no return.
Speaker 1: Concern for Amy's well being was at an all time high. Her marriage to Blake, however, passionate, was on tender hooks, especially after room as Blake was selling videos of aiming taking drugs to the British tabloids.
Speaker 12: More trouble for Amy Winehouse. This grainy video footage was obtained by the British newspaper The Sun. It shows Winehouse walking around what looks like her home. She sits down, seemingly aware a camera is watching to.
Speaker 4: See who I am.
Speaker 12: This is just the latest in a string of erratic behavior for Winehouse, who's twenty four. Her lackluster concert performances and reports of alleged drug abuse have fed the British tabloids for months. Her publicist declined comment on the video.
Speaker 1: Psychologist doctor Peter Hughes says, while most of us will never understand how Blake could have done that to his own wife, we have to remember that there were stronger forces pulling him to do so.
Speaker 4: That's what addiction does. People don't see the world. An addict doesn't see the world in the way that the rest of us do, and that's part of the frustration of dealing with it, and part of trying to get into the mindset of an addict. Is a very complex thing to do if you're clean.
Speaker 1: Then, in November two thousand and seven, a brush with the law that might actually have saved Amy's life.
Speaker 13: Amy Winehouse's troubles are finally hitting home. The Star's London house was raided by police on Thursday. Officers were standing guard outside the pad in Camden from five pm and were there for three hours while a team was sent inside a rifle through her belongings. The singer and her husband, Blakefield, a civil, weren't there at the time. A spokesman for the beehive loving Star said Amy was fine, but stressed that she had nothing to do with it and that it didn't involve drugs. The investigation also saw the arrests of four men elsewhere in London who were all between the ages of nineteen and twenty five. Harbi blake is now thought to be one of them after The Mirror printed a picture of him in handcuffs.
Speaker 1: Blakefield, the civil, was charged with grievous bodily harm with intent and perverting the course of justice after he bashed a pub landlord and tried to cover it up. In June two thousand and eight. He pled guilty to a lesser charge of grievous bodily harm and the twenty six year old was sentenced to two years behind bars two years without his Amy.
Speaker 14: Singer Amy Weinhaus's husband, Blake Fielder Civil, will not be getting out of jail anytime soon. Monday, field Or Civil was sets to twenty seven months for assault and obstructing justice. Fielder Civil has already spent almost nine months in jail after being arrested for biating up a pub manager and then offering him hush money to keep quiet about the incident.
Speaker 1: It was a chance for Amy to get clean for the first time in years without Blake's influence. Mitch decided to take her to Saint Lucia, Amy's favorite place in the world, so she could unwind and relax away from the glare of the London press. But Mitch brought his own camera crew with him. He was filming a reality show about what life was like as Amy's dad. Here's what Amy's producer Salam Remi had to say about it in the twenty fifty docco Amy.
Speaker 15: She's like, yo, why is he bringing another camera call to Saint Lucia, Dad, do you want money?
Speaker 10: I'll give him money.
Speaker 15: Why are you doing your life story which is really my life story? She just felt like, you know, my dad's doing a lot of stuff for money or.
Speaker 16: Alarm, like my dad got to make your mug at me, not nice to me on Cameron.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, that's got ying to you about those two people who want it, allows you photograph and you've got to make them feel bad about it.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't matter to feel bad about it, Dad.
Speaker 8: They've got the fight that they wanted, but I don't.
Speaker 11: Think they give a fuck about it.
Speaker 1: To the relief of Amy's friends and family, it was on that same holiday that she appeared to be moving on from Blake. He was still in prison when he saw photos of Amy and tabloid papers kissing another man in the sea at Saint Lucia. Amy and Blake filed for divorce soon after.
Speaker 17: Bluckly, I just didn't have a very opinion of myself after the treatment I've had for the past two years with my wife. I kind of just hoped the wind knocked out myself. But I just thought, fat this. You know, I'm a big man, I'm an handsome fucking guy. I ain't I never win. I'm going through the gym a lot. I dress well to what the fuck am I doing? Waste of my time of her?
Speaker 1: By the end of two thousand and eight, Blake was out of Amy's life for good and she was no longer touring. This meant she'd be able to get better, to focus on staying clean and writing more music.
Speaker 5: Right, there's five gigs which contractually we are obliged to do. There's a couple this weekend. But Amy feels and the management field and the record company for and I feel that that is enough of the live performing for the time being.
Speaker 1: Five more gigs, five more so called contractually obliged gigs. Amy's friends were heartbroken. They tried to hide her passport, and Amy didn't want to bar of it either. She'd been trying to sabotage the tour, drinking to excess night after night in the hopes it would mean she could miss it. Passed out on her sofa in her Campden flat on a June twenty and eleven morning, Amy was put in a car and taken to an airport, where she eventually woke up. From there, she was loaded onto a private jet. She arrived in Belgrade, Serbia, barefoot and against her will after the disastrous Serbia Festival performance. Any other gigs she was contractually obliged to or otherwise were axed, but it seemed to be the turning point Amy needed. She expressed her excitement about now being able to attend Nick Shamansky's wedding. She'd organized to catch up with her best girlfriends, as we heard from Juliet Ashby, but none of it would come to fruition. By mid twenty eleven, Amy Winehouse had been in the public eye for seven years. In that time, she transformed from a hopeful singer with buckets of talent to a haunted addict seemingly determined to self destruct.
Speaker 18: Lady Gentleen, thank you Mauch for your time. I'd just like to give a short statement about today's events. Please recalled by the London Ambulance Service to house in Camden Square, Northwest one shortly before sixteen's or five hours today one reports of a women found de ceased. On arrival, officers found the body of a twenty seven year old female who's pronounced dead at the scene. Next to kin have been informed and I can confirm that they deceased is Amy Winehouse.
Speaker 1: On the twenty third of July twenty eleven, after a night binge drinking vodka in her London flat, watching YouTube videos in bed. Amy Winehouse's body gave up.
Speaker 18: It's a sad time for friends and family, particularly in someone a case of Amy Winehouse, very well known nationally and internationally by sympathy extends not just her immediate family, particularly to thousands and millions of fans across the world. I would urge respect on behalf of the media and on people who might be wishering to want you to wish well to the family, to urge some respect for some privacy. You'll understand that I cannot and will not take questions at this time. I thank you for your time.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you remember where you were on the night Amy Whitehouse passed away? Right A Polly Taylor does. She remembers the exact moment she heard the news.
Speaker 8: She was always so open about her other issues as well, you know, eating disorders and things like that. It's so hard to say. It was like it was a shock, and then it wasn't like I actually remember hearing the news. I was at a friend's birthday party and we were at her house, and we were all just drinking, and we probably were listening to Amy Winehouse and someone said looked at their phone and suddenly went Oh my god, Amy Whinehouse is dead. And we all just sat down, like everyone just stopped what they were doing, sat down in absolute shock, and we just couldn't continue the birthday celebrations. We were just like bereft all of us. I loved her, and I just think because of that time in my life where I'm not claiming to know her or be her friend, but she was just I was just part of that same world that she was. And so of all the celebrity deaths I've experienced, that one just hit in a different way. For sure.
Speaker 19: To her fans, she was a music icon, but to Amy Winehouse's dad, Mitch, she was just his little girl.
Speaker 5: With deva slightly the last week. Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 20: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I'll hard to do you against too.
Speaker 19: Amy's funeral will be Hell today and it's expected to be private, attended by close family and friends.
Speaker 1: Dean McCarthy says it was a tragedy, but not necessarily one that had shocked him.
Speaker 11: She had had a very tumultuous life. She had been in and out of rehab as we know, she'd had a very interesting and aggressive, I think relationship, and she really had been struggling and gone through quite a dark space for a very long time. And so when she passed away, as devastating as it was, and people were so upset because she was so talented. That voice was like a gift from God or something, you know what I mean, Like it was a one in a billion voice. She had this unbelievable talent and she was so incredibly adored around the world. But when she passed away, I would say it wasn't a huge surprise because of the really rough, unhealthy life style that she had lived.
Speaker 1: The outpouring from fans swiftly followed. Amy's music began to rise through the charts once again, and tributes flowed in from around the world. The sentiment of Amy's bereft fans is one a Lenni Papa Visiliu from the Jewish Museum of Australia saw firsthand during their time hosting an exhibition honoring Amy's life.
Speaker 20: We've had such a warm response and such an emotional response from visitors. We had a whole section dedicated to allowing people to give their thoughts and feedback on Amy and it was actually so moving and you know, quite heartbreaking our times to see how people connected to her and to her music, and just how sad people were with her passing, people writing notes such as, you know what her music meant to them, or where they sought her in concert, or how they felt when she passed away.
Speaker 1: When Amy died, she was twenty seven years old. It gained her admission to an ominous and infamous club of young artists who came before her. Hollywood correspondent Dean McCarthy explains, so, the twenty.
Speaker 11: Seven Club is a phenomenon that people believe musicians, actors, athletes die at the age of twenty seven. Now here's where it started, right, So between nineteen sixty nine and nineteen seventy one, four hugely famous people all died all the age of twenty seven. So we're talking Brian Jones, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison. And what's really quite difficult to imagine that they actually died at twenty seven, because they still are some of the most famous names in the world. It's like, wow, there were only twenty seven genas Choppam was twenty seven when she died. They all died at the age of twenty seven, and the deaths are usually surrounded by overdosing of drugs. They're really quite a dark way to die.
Speaker 1: Dean says. Knowledge in pop culture around the elusive twenty seven club was completely reinvigorated after the death of a nineties icon, the King of Grunge.
Speaker 11: In nineteen ninety four. When Kurt Cobain died at the age of twenty seven, it was his mother that gave a very famous quote in an interviewce what she said. She said, now he's gone and he's joined that stupid club. I told him not to join that stupid club. Kurt Cobain's mother said that in an interview after his death. That got everyone looking it up, asking around as speaking to everyone they possibly could, what is this club? And it brings us back to this Hollywood club twenty seven. So he passed away, as you know, and then of course it was reinspired again when Amy Einhouse in twenty eleven died at the age of twenty seven as well.
Speaker 1: So what do they all have in common? Was there anything in this idea of the twenty seven club or is it just a tragic coincidence.
Speaker 11: In the UK, they did a study because they thought, why is it musicians, these big rock stars dying at the age of twenty seven, So why don't we do an actual investigation into why could it possibly be that age? And the things they considered were things like, okay, touring, the energy and effort it takes on your body to tour to seeing Obviously a lot of them had a life and unhealthy life around drugs, and is that a common thing And when they really pieced all together into this big investigation, is it the average age? Is that what it's going to be because a musician of the typical, average lifestyle, the typical, average, healthy kind of space that they live in, and they actually did not find it to be that.
Speaker 1: Psychologist doctor Peter Hughes says, sure, the science around the notion of the twenty seven Club may be somewhat loose, but there are lessons within its alumni.
Speaker 4: What it points to really is you have a lot of very young, extraordinarily gift people, perhaps also a degree narcissistic, who have absorbed the celebrity and find themselves, you know, maybe psychologically frail, maybe psychologically vulnerable, find themselves in the eye of the storm. And there's expectations put on rock stars. There's expectations put on people in rock and roll, and the expectation is that there risk takers. The expectation is that they push the boundaries.
Speaker 1: Every generation has their own twenty seven Club mascot, be that Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, or for me, Amy Winehouse. But no matter when they were in their prime, they were all surrounded by temptation and surrounded by people telling them what they wanted to hear and not necessarily what they needed to hear.
Speaker 11: Imagine being twenty seven and you have worth millions and millions of dollars, you're a huge superstar, You're traveling the world. I think a lot of them turn to that unhealthy lifestyle to get them through such an overwhelming situation.
Speaker 4: I think it was William Baker said that the road to excess leads to the Palace of wisdom. And you've got this thing with extraordinarily creative people who both believe that they've got to constantly pushing the boundaries creatively. That leads them to push the boundaries in all sorts of other ways because they are creative risk takers, and that makes them risk takers and other areas of their life and then they have the public eye. Nobody wants a rock star who sits at home, you know, having a cup of tea with his or her slippers on at night. That's not a story, right.
Speaker 1: What binds those in the twenty seven club is impressive talent, but also fragility, vulnerability, the kind we saw in Amy's codependent relationship with Blake Peter Hughes again.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're Amy Wyanhaerson, you gave the example of Blake. He was feeding off for too. Everybody's feeding off because they want money. They want to have a little bit a celebrity, you know, rub off on them. They want the access that these people can give them. Nobody wants conflict. Nobody wants to say, actually, you need to stop this. And if you if one person did say that, they'd get kicked out of the inner circle. There'll be plenty of other people saying, no, you. You don't listen to him or don't listen to her. You just carry on as you're doing. You're just fabulous. You're doing brilliant. And when you're young, famous, you haven't got the psychological tools to deal with fame. You're in a profession where risk taking, an excess is expected of you. Where drugs and sex are copious and always available, any pleasure you want to sample is yours. That's an immense amount of temptation, you know, for people who who are still extraordinarily young.
Speaker 1: Whether or not you find the idea of the twenty seven Club morbid, fascinating, truth or fallacy, Dan McCarthy says it may bring some comfort to the fans, the friends and the families of these megastars.
Speaker 11: I think it does actually save them some piece and some comfort because they and they kind of like they can blame it on that, you know, like, oh, the reason he's passed away twenty something is because he's joining the most famous club in the world in Hollywood where all the lead jin's die at twenty seven. He must be a legend. That's why he passed away. For Amy, this was her path. This was always going to be where it would end for her because she is such an extraordinary legend, a phenomenon, she would have to die at twenty seven. I think it does give them some piece for sure, because they look for peace because it is such a tragedy. It is such a tragedy that someone so talented with such a gift would pass away so young, where we weren't able to enjoy them for decades, you know. And I think that that is where they find the comfort in the fact that they live on as a legend in the twenty seven Club.
Speaker 1: Doctor Peter Hughes says it's important to be wary of glamorizing the twenty seven Club, though, to remember the strength it takes for an addict to say no, to try and remove themselves from the public eye.
Speaker 4: Staying over your slippers with a couple of actually takes courage because people underestimate that, and everybody assumes. And again I can just draw on my experience of working with people in the public eye. It looks great when it's on the red carpet, and it looks great when the cameras are rolling, But when the door shuts and nobody's looking, they're just people like everybody else, often with bigger problems, greater anxieties, fewer places to turn, fewer honest friends.
Speaker 1: It sounds like an incredibly isolating existence, and we can only imagine the loneliness Amy may have felt in her darkest moments. Over a decade on, we've had more than enough time to reflect on Amy's life, her legacy, and her struggles. Given what we understand today about mental health, addiction, the pressures of fame. Who's to say if we would have treated her differently or with more kindness. For those who loved Amy, it was important to show the world who she really was away from the flash of the paparazzi frenzy. And it's why her brother Alex curated an exhibition all about Amy's life. Here's senior curator from the Australian Jewish Museum, Eleni Papa Vasiliu.
Speaker 20: Again, the exhibition should actually shed a really beautiful, warm and affectionate light to Amy and her upbringing, her early years and her family life. There were some really beautiful written captions from Alex that were really warm and affectionate and revealing about Amy, and I think that they just put her whole persona to a different light and making the exhibition really unique. It was a really beautiful and expansive show, as I say, and that aimed to portray Amy in a different light I suppose to the to the popular depiction of her later years and just remind audiences of the you know, the young, ambitious very talented young person that she was. I think with every story, particularly those of you know, famous people that are so so much in the spotlight, and her story specifically, you're not under the conditions that she that she died in. Was really important to be able to balance that narrative and give a full perspective of their life and not just one particular angle that may be perhaps the most sensational one.
Speaker 8: I think Amy's legacy and why she is still so influential over a decade after she died, probably just boils down to one thing, and that was her authenticity. She wasn't with us very long, but she was entirely authentic in every single moment that she was. She'll be remembered for, you know, her eyeliner, her beehive, her raw, honest vocals, and just the heartbreaking truth that was always present in her music.
Speaker 1: And as Polly Taylor described, of course, it's that legacy of authenticity that lives on through the music of Amy.
Speaker 20: The exhibition had scattered around beautiful quotes from Amy's audition for the Sylvia Young Theater School in nineteen ninety seven, and in this she wrote, I want to be remembered for being an actress, a singer for sellout concerts and cell out West End and Broadway shows, for being just me.
Speaker 8: That's the most special thing about her is that she was so real, so raw, like every every lyric, every song was a story that she was telling you about her life, her little friend.
Speaker 9: How has it been?
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 16: Him wonderful? You got a friend. It's old change.
Speaker 20: In a land.
Speaker 16: Ever, how fat we steed?
Speaker 1: He was?
Speaker 16: Something's a colder, not any strange and wonderful. H He's still friends. We still thank you for listening to this season of Extraordinary Stories, the Amy Winehouse Story.
Speaker 1: It was written and produced by me and the Gillespie with TA usage and Caliborg. Audio production is by Madeline Joannu.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 1: The next episode of Extraordinary Stories will be released next week. If you don't want to wait, you can listen right now by following the link in the episode description or by heading to mammamea dot com dot a U forward slash M.
Speaker 10: Plus Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gatagoul people of the Eora Nation.
Speaker 1: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torus train ear under cultures,