Speaker 1: Your brain con differentiate if it's a social threat or whether a tiger walks into this room right now. Our body reacts the same way. So it's actually so crazy how you have that feeling physically nauseous, you know, that fight flight response of kind of for some people that might be nauseous, heart racing, breathing changing. Because we detect social threats in the same way as we would any other physical threat, so it is a very emotional and physical response.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm a shiny dante and this is but are you happy? No one likes criticism. It stings, it bruises the ego, and emotionally, it can hit harder than we expect. But there's a difference between feeling impacted and taking these deeply personal because at a certain point, it's not just the big moments. It's the slightly offton in an email, the way someone brushes past you on the train, a cancel plan that suddenly feels loaded, and before you know it, you're scanning for meaning, reading between the lines, assuming the worst. Our brains are wide to make sense of social information, but in that process, ambiguity often gets translated into this is about me. So why do some of us take things more personally than others, and when does the shift from sensitivity into something that starts to impact how we move through the world. In this episode, I'm joined by Sydney based clinical psychologist Anita Shimmans. We explore how early experiences can shape the way we respond to criticism, whether we can take it on board in a healthy way or whether it cuts just a little too deep, and we talk about what helps practical tools that you can actually use in the moment, like learning how to reframe what's happening so it doesn't automatically become personal. Here's our conversation. Thank you so much, Anita for joining us for another conversation.
Speaker 3: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really excited about this topic because it's one I think again, I feel like every topic is very relatable, but this one.
Speaker 3: This one everyone has experienced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, So why do we take things personally?
Speaker 3: Like what's going on in the body and the mind? Yeah? Okay, so we've got to get it unpack this a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's normal that we relate everything that happens around us back to how it concerns ourselves. So it's normal that we kind of have this, it's got negative connotation, but it doesn't. It doesn't really ecocentric kind of an ecocentric kind of perspective where we relate what's happening in the world back to how it makes sense for us. So that's a normal default for all of us. We're also really good at detecting any potential social threats. And the reason why that is is because if you think, you know, back to evolutionary history, if I am ousted by my group, I will literally die. So I have to be quite attuned to what's going on. Are these guys you know, am I am I okay here? Or are people kind of taking issue with me? So it's better to be overly sensitive to that than miss acute and have a really dire kind of consequence from missing it. So we are all already naturally good to make things about ourselves and to be really attuned to what other people are thinking about us, and to have a more sort of negative lens or threat lens on what others are, what signals others are sending us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting you talk about the threat thing because I think about the times when you know, my boss might be like, hey, can we have a chat or even just that alone.
Speaker 3: I notice my body it.
Speaker 2: Feels like it's threatened, it's tense, So like, can you unpacking what's going on there? Like what's the emotional process from a mind perspective, but also like what we're feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's so good because it's actually your brain con differentiate if it's a social threat or whether a tiger walks into this room right now. Our body reacts the same way. So it's actually so crazy. How you know you have that feeling physically nauseous, you know that fight flight response of kind of for some people that might be nauseous, heart rate racing, you're breathing changing, because we detect social threats in the same way as we would any other physical threat. So it is a very emotional and physical response.
Speaker 3: Wow, that makes so much more sense.
Speaker 2: So it's like when I'm seeing my boss being like can we talk, I'm thinking a line's about to come and eat me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like literally totally, yeah, exactly exactly. But you can see how and this is such a cool thing to unpack. Actually a good example because statement is so neutral, but we've played so much meaning and it happens in a split second, right so you have that immediate emotional response, But what's happened between what was said and your response is kind of that interpretation of what meaning you laid on that, And I assume it's something like I'm in trouble or I've done something wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many layers to it, Like what do you find are the most common situations where people do take things personally.
Speaker 1: We take things personally in areas that we have closely tied to our sense of self worth and identity. So if I am a career person, I'm probably going to be more sensitive to any cues that I'm not doing the right thing work wise than somebody who's actually, like I work to live, not live to work, I don't really care so much, they might be a lot less prone to take things personally in that space. So we take things personally where we care most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true, because I'm thinking about the times where I would take things personally, Like, definitely, work has work so important for me, But then also the people I really care about, you know, like if you're my husband's like, hey, can we have a chat, I'm like, oh no, Like it's different because it's not it doesn't activate threat. It's just more like concern being like.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, like god, I do you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And probably most of us can relate to the relationship side because we're really you know, geared as humans to care a lot about relationships, and so the people that are closest to us have a lot to do with our sense of identity and safety, and so we do tend to care about what people that we know say about us more than you know, some random stranger on the street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely the trolls out there. Yeah, the trolls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but even that's super hard to yeah, super hard not to take a personal totally totally.
Speaker 3: We are human after all, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and our brain's evolved in a place where there was no social media, and you know, you might have had at best fifty one hundred people could have an opinion about you, and so you have to be sensitive because all of those really mattered. But now, you know, if you've got a million eyes on you, literally, it becomes overwhelming to have those say that same brain that cares about every single comment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so true, so true.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting too, because something I'm curious about is, you know, I can imagine there's no clinical diagnosis to taking things personally, right, but I can imagine that it might be a feature for other mental health conditions as well.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, yeah, so as you say, like in and of itself, it's a really natural and human thing to do. And then where does it kind of tap into go from something that's really normal and common to something that's really a bit more than that. And You're right, it might be linked to things like depression. So if I feel really awful and I'm scared of feeling kind of rejection by and I have all these core beliefs that I am actually really not good enough, and so I'm looking through that lens, it might be linked to things like low mood or anxiety for sure, maybe some personality disorder stuff as well, where I'm expecting criticism or I'm expecting lashings out or I'm also if I have a trauma background, for instance, and I am I'm expecting people not to mean well by me, and that this threat in other people that might make me more likely to take things personally as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's a lot of different factors that So how does our childhood pass.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to go.
Speaker 2: So how does our childhood or past trauma and personality play into all of this?
Speaker 1: Again, such a cool nature nurture question. Yes, really, Yeah, it's interesting to unpack. So I would say from the nature side, we might be born with a bit more of a sensitive imperman and we might be so we might be much more attuned to what's going on around us. That can be a really positive thing, but also in this case might go too far. But that might be kind of from a personality standpoint, what we bring to the table. And then there's a lot that happens in our early environment that may make us more prone to take things personally. So if we're talking about an attachment, kind of from an attachment perspective, if my parents are really unpredictable, sometimes they're really warm, sometimes they're not, sometimes it's just not there, I'm going to become very attuned to picking up on tiny little cues because it's become really an important strategy for me not to miss opportunities to connect. And so yeah, if you've got an anxious attachment, I might be very rejection sensitive and be looking out for those cues and much more sensitive to them compared to someone who doesn't have that anxious attachment. I've got a more avoidant attachment. So if I'm used to people can't be relied on and I have to find for myself, I might just have a lot more of a defensive kind of, you know, keep you at bay kind of mindset and expect that everything you have to say to me or do towards me is somehow doesn't have the best intentions. That will impact that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because as you're like talking it out, I'm thinking, I'm like, wow, that's so exhausting. Like, no matter what you fall into in terms of those attachment types, I'm like, wow, just to have that constantly in the back of your mind is a lot.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, And it's just it's so automatic as well. So yeah, it's exhausting when you perceive the world through kind of a threat lens and it takes a toll.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like there's any gender differences when it comes to taking things personally.
Speaker 1: It's a great question. I would say there's no kind of gender that's more likely to take things personally. I think it's the environment growing up more so that might make you a little bit more prone to taking things personally.
Speaker 3: But I do think it.
Speaker 1: Might play out differently for men and women. So, like we said before, we take things personally in areas where we care most about. So perhaps for a woman that might be you know, traditionally we might have had these societal expectations that women don't show anger or aren't too kind of forward, and so maybe any ambiguous comments that might show that you've somehow violated those expectations you might be much more sensitive to than a guy, where that's much more acceptable. Whereas maybe for men, they have different societal expectations placed on them not to be too vulnerable or too sensitive, and so any comments that might imply that at all might be taken up much more personally than for a woman the comments wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing just how like those external factors can really drive how we show up internally as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, I think, you know, it's even doubt a little bit now, but I would say, you know, historically it might have been that there was a more gendered element to it, where yeah, women were kind of placed in a very particular it was a very small kind of box that we were allowed to be in, and Sony, any signals that we might be stepping outside of that very rigid box would be a threat, and therefore we might have been much more attuned to picking up on any potential trespasses.
Speaker 2: So does being a part of a culture that values, you know, emotional toughness, Like, does that make it harder to express when something has hurt you?
Speaker 1: Likely it's still happening, but it's just suppressed because you can't express how something has impacted you because then you might be you know, yeah, it kind of goes against maybe so cultural, but the feeling's still there. But then perhaps it's just not able to be communicated, y yes, and suppressed and therefore might even take a bigger toll potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't go away entirely, it's just not doesn't find an outlet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting too because I think something that I've really focused on is sometimes not having that expectation that you know, within my culture, that you know, my parents can be able to hear me in the way that I want them to be heard as well, because I'm like, oh, they don't have that capacity, they didn't have that upbringing to be able to hold it in that way. So I think bringing a bit of that kind of compassionate less has really helped.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, So how does social media and online communication amplify this tendency to feel personally attacked? Like you know when you get those you send a message on Instagram and it's like the red receipts. You know, it's like they've read it but they haven't responded, or to someone's like love hearted emoji something but then can say thank you.
Speaker 3: You know, we can spy. They're all a lot.
Speaker 1: That's such a good point because you're missing about half of the information that you would usually take in right. All the nonverbal cues that will give you a clue on whether this is something that you should be taking personally or not go missing. So if I saw somebody receive my text and their kids are screaming at them at the same time, and you're resing someone's at the front door and so they put the phone away, I would know that there's all these contextual factors that make them not be able to respond right now. But if I'm missing all of that, I might be there sitting right well, I know exactly what happened here, and that's because you know she's actually mad at me and that's why she's not replying.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Same with comments.
Speaker 1: For instance, do you see my face and I'm sort of saying, hey, I love your pants, you might be able to you know, even if you're prone to taking things personally, it might really give you enough cues to oh, no, she's authentic there, and I'll take it as a compliment. Whereas if I comment on a picture of yours, and you might be prone to taking things personally, expecting kind of criticism, passive aggressive comments, and I just said nice pants without any you know, context, you might put your lens onto that more and then perhaps be yeah, taking it personally when it went because you're missing all of that other information. Yeah, And when our brains lack information, we fill in the gap. Yeah, and we fill in the gap in a negative way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, So that's that's what we all do.
Speaker 1: When there's information missing, We're going to kind of jump to worst case scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We really swim in so many assumptions and we're like, wow, why do I feel so hurt?
Speaker 3: Oh? I created all of this, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, and I want to like preempt it. But it might not be all about you. Right, Well, you have to say title in your head, it is worthwhile disentangling, like what is what am I bringing to the table? What am I layering on top of what was said? And usually that is at least a big part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I really like the example around. You know, we talk about the difference between digital communication and just that face to face because nonverbal communication is so powerful, you know, it really adds to our communication style.
Speaker 3: So I like that.
Speaker 2: We remember, like there's yeah, there's just so many gaps in digital communication, which is.
Speaker 3: And gen Z don't use emojis, so like do they not?
Speaker 2: Is it a millennial scene? Gosh, I should know this, but I know a lot of gen zs.
Speaker 1: Know as a millennial, I'm like, you know, heart emogen, yeah, communicate all but then gen Z there's just nothing. And I'm like, yeah, they're too cool, too cool for school.
Speaker 3: I was like, wow, that's even more open to interpretation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the generational difference is exactly exact.
Speaker 3: Yeah. More of my conversation with Anita after this break.
Speaker 2: So how much of taking things personally is about the fear of not being good enough versus my egos are actually just really bruised, right, Now.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because it's it's connected because what is ego. It's it's it's kind of this layer, this protective layer of never wanting, never having to kind of feel that underlying defectiveness. So it's like an amplification, it's like an overcompensation for feeling less than underneath. So bruised ego is because it's touching on something that you already believe about yourself and you don't want to face. And so you know, often the comment might have not even been intended that way, but your ego is bruised because there's already an internal story about this topic that you've created.
Speaker 2: So it's like giving more data to go within find out what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly, And so you know, if I have to face that feeling of not being good enough because of something that you said, it's incredibly painful. So breust ego it can feel actually like the same areas of the brain light up in that kind of pain compared to physical pain. So again our brain is really it's hard for our brain to differentiate different types of pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so interesting because I know because before you also talked about how our brain interprets seeing a line is the same threat as you see your boss say, can you have a chat with me? We think that our brains are really smart, and it is, but it's just funny because when you unpack like the details of how our brain interprets things, it makes me wonder. I'm like, oh, wow, Okay, maybe I'm giving my brain too much about like there's still a.
Speaker 3: Lot to learn and change.
Speaker 1: Totally, it would be cool if it could differentiate actual from perceived threat so that, yeah, you wouldn't have to yeah, be so alarmed all the time, will but also.
Speaker 3: Hurt all the time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of what we've been talking about is, you know, taking things personally can be seen as like a bad thing or we can kind of villainize the term, right, but can it be a good thing? Like is it okay to take things personally?
Speaker 3: Sometimes? Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: I think you know, when we take things personally, it's kind of a cue signpost something's going on that's important to me. So it gives you some information that we're talking, we're touching on something that is of importance.
Speaker 3: That's a really good thing.
Speaker 1: It also gives you a sense of have my boundaries been crossed or have my values been.
Speaker 3: Has it been a sort of an a violation of my values?
Speaker 1: So it does give you really important information as well, So it's not just bad. The bad thing is is if it takes you to a place where you know it makes going through life really hard because you're sort of expecting and seeing threat at every corner. But butterfault is not necessarily something bad, and sometimes you will find that actually, even once you've done all the thought exercises that we might talk about in a bit, that what's left at the end is actually something that you need to address with the other person. I think that is genuinely important to pay attention to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so true. It's good.
Speaker 2: I think it's really great we shine a light on that because I think also, you know, we are human, like I think, you know, when we feel like our boundaries across or we are taking things personally like I do see it as a sign of self respect, being like, okay, this is really interesting, what about this? Because sometimes I think, if you've been a people pleaser a long time, I'm talking about myself, it's like you always yeah, literally, you always think that you're the one to play Oh, I'm in the wrong. I've fucked up, so I need to look at that. Whereas to even come to a place where you're like, oh, actually that wasn't.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's really big.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point of seanny, because I was coming at it from more like, if you're prone to always take things personally, can it still be a good thing? But you're right, if you're prone to always internalize and find fault within rather than find fault in others, then it can actually be a really empowering thing to take that as a cue that there is something that needs to be addressed here and you need to respect those boundaries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I find when it comes to taking things personally, there is there's a nuance to it, right, So like, how do you balance like, I'm allowed to feel hurt with Okay, I'm probably feeling this a bit too deeply now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think first of all, just validate that it's normal to have bigger reactions to things that happen, so you're not weird for having a big reaction, and don't layer criticism on top because it's.
Speaker 3: Already enough to deal with the initial reaction.
Speaker 1: Then I would say, if you can give yourself a little bit of a pause, and like you said before, sometimes our whole body is activated. So can we try and downregulate how intense we're feeling this in our body as well? And then can I give myself a little bit of an opportunity to disentangle what actually happened and how much did I layer on top of it and the parts that I've layered on top of it. Can I give myself a lot of self compassion and take that layer of way, and then what's left do I need to address that? And then I can come at it from a very kind of grounded, fruitful kind of perspective rather than you know, reacting in the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, I'm getting so many takeaways already.
Speaker 3: This is great.
Speaker 2: So what would you say to someone who's in the middle of a moment right now and is really struggling with taking something personally?
Speaker 1: I mean, often these reactions happen really really quickly. If I'm talking to someone who's actually been stewing on something for a while, it is probably a bigger sign that there is another element to that that's not just about them, and it's something that actually genuinely does need to be unpacked and addressed.
Speaker 3: If you're in the.
Speaker 1: Middle of kind of in your fields because somebody has said something or didn't invite you to something, and you've taken it personally, first I would say validate again that this is really normal. I would then say, can we try and just for flexibility's sake, try and bring in other points here of your initial interpretation might be one story, but there might be a whole lot of other ways that this can be viewed. Can we just make do this, go through these exercise and kind of see if we can come up with other stories so that we're not so married to our initial one, and then that will help us to disentangle a little bit more what I've brought to the table on top and what has what is truly actually a violation of my boundaries or something that really hurt me that I do need to address, and then go ahead and address it, and we can talk about, you know, good ways to kind of communicate that in a little bit. But yeah, feel free to then say, this has been sticking with me for a long time. I've now figured out, Okay, there are things I've put on top, and nonetheless there's stuff that I need to address here.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean we can jump into it now because I'm curious to know, like if someone is sitting with oh, actually I do need to have a conversation, Yeah, like what.
Speaker 1: Would you advise? Imagine like a continuum and we can either be on one side, which is sort of what we call passive communication, where you're not saying what you need or what you're feeling and you're only kind of taking into consideration the other person's needs, and then on the very opposite side, it's sort of aggressive communication, where you just barge in, this is what I'm feeling and this is what I need, and I don't care about your perspective, as you might be able to tell. Neither of those are particularly good, yeah, for connection, for your well being. And nicely, in the middle, we have assert of communication. So that's where I'm honoring my needs and feelings and I'm taking into consideration your viewpoint, and I'm finding a way to communicate that that's most likely to be received receivable without defensiveness on the other side, and that is most likely to come to some sort of constructive outcome. So sure we'll pack what a sort of communicy Yeah, yeah, Okay, So there's lots of different ways to kind of come at it. I like to use a simple one, two three sort of recipe, which is one, can we state the facts, so rather than already putting meaning or interpretation in it, can I just repeat what you said? So these reports need revising. You said that to me now three times today. That's a fact.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you're always attacking me. I'm saying that's what you said, so it introduces the topic in a way that doesn't make you immediately defensive. Then I'm going to say how that impacts me. So that's the second step. So instead of talking about your intention or what you did, I'm going to say about how that impacted me. When you said that three times in a row, I felt myself kind of feel a little bit anxious because I felt that maybe I wasn't doing a good enough job. And then three, this is often what we leave out is what can I ask of the other person to rectify it? Can I give them a suggestion. I'm not going to let you guess how to better approach this with me. I'm going to actually give you a path so you know in future I would really appreciate. Maybe we can have like a little check in once in the day where we can talk about what needs doing, so that I'm I'm aware that that's the half hour where we can talk about that, but I'm not constantly kind of expecting, you know, more comments that I can then take the wrong way. Do you think that would be okay? Can we do it this way?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love that. Yeah, that is so effective.
Speaker 1: Which is very different from you know, right, I'm going to suppress because I'm really hope you know, you've given me the feeling though I'm not doing the right thing, but you know, I'm withdrawing or angry, but I'm not going to say anything I'm really heard or I'm going to lash out at you and.
Speaker 3: Say, can you stop saying that for a second, Like, you know, it's very different. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So let's say like that conversation happens, right, and then the person on the other side who gave that initial criticism host if they don't take that well, they take it personally.
Speaker 3: You know, and then we're in this kind of right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you run a risk when you bring up a need in an emotion that the other person then can't take it on from from the perspective that you're trying to communicate it. You can obviously help communicate that. You know, I understand that wasn't your intention at all, but this is how it landed for me, And you know, because of how I operate, like, I know that this other this other way would really help me not to It gives you the best It gives the other person the best chance not to take it too personally themselves. So a sort of communication helps with yourself how your needs, but also respecting the other.
Speaker 2: Person's feelings totally. That's a good point. Yeah, that's really good. Okay, So I'm curious because I kind of want to flip it now in a sense of the person that needs to give the criticism or the constructive feedback, how can they give that in a way of not dismiss being like coming across as this missive.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Would they kind of follow that same format or is it different?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I think a set of communication is a great tool to communicate anything that's a bit tricky. Yeah, Okay, I think keep it specific to the situation. So don't make globalizing statements, because if I'm going to say you always or you never it's really hard not to take that personally because I'm kind of attacking your whole character or you know, so I'm going to try and make it very specific in this particular situation. When you said X, it made me feel why and I would really appreciate ze.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: That's different to saying you just are such a disrespectful person in general, or yeah, don't make it about it about the person as a whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it sounds like and I really like that first step around when you state the facts, keeping it neutral, like keeping the emotions out just makes it sound really clean, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's sort of undernoable. Yeah, that is exactly what happened. If you had a camera in the room, nobody could that that was how it played out, was there's not a layer of interpretation on it already.
Speaker 2: More of my conversation with Anita after this break for someone that might be struggling with being able to separate the facts to the narrative they're attaching, like, do you have any like concrete tools that they can use to be able to really separate that out or like things that you do in the clinic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So again, I would like to come at it from kind of two layers, because you know, if we are very prone to taking things personally and expecting criticism, there's likely some origin story there that we want to unpack a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that.
Speaker 1: Might be you know, trauma or attachment disruptions, so we want to address those as well and kind of go to the core. But in terms of practical strategies, there's certainly things that we can try to try and disentangle that a little bit more. What's the fact and what's the story? So maybe let's should we do an exercise?
Speaker 3: Let's do it? Shall we tariential? I love it?
Speaker 1: Shall we do the We'll do the report example from the boss? Okay, so first step is name your reaction? So what's coming up for you? Can you just be aware of, oh, I'm getting really angry or really upset here, and maybe even a layer deeper, this makes me feel like I'm not enough. Okay, So can we name the reaction that's coming up that will give you your cue? This is a moment to do this little exercise to to to not react in the moment and give myself a second to reevaluate. So step two could then be fact versus story. So what was said or like your example, before your boss said I want to can we have a chat? That was the fact and the story was I've done something wrong? Can we can we can we start disentangling that? Or in my example that I said before my boss said these these reports need revision and I've heard he thinks I competent? Might and then step three, can we come up with two alternatives? Even if you don't buy into them, just let's just for the sake of it, try and come up with two alternative explanations. Can you come up with one? Why would your boss have asked you to come for a.
Speaker 2: Talk because I've done something wrong and I'm about to get fired.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the worst'ba that's the immediate Yeah, it's Challey.
Speaker 3: Just for the sake of it, can you come up with two alternatives? Or like what else?
Speaker 2: Like it could be just something like, oh, she just wants to find out how I'm going with my project at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yep, totally, So it could be completely harmless. Maybe another one, do you have any other?
Speaker 2: Another one could be she's probably just checking if I'm available for a certain project that I need to do. At a certain time, or checking my availability.
Speaker 1: Great, great, yeah, And in my example, maybe my boss is really really under a lot of pressure and that's why so focus on these reports, or maybe they've my boss is really really high on relenting standards, not about me being incompetent, but about their standards. So we can come up with alternative stories, and then that kind of gives us a little bit of a more bigger lens through which to interpret what happened, rather than just going with our initial one. Yeah, and then step four can then be right, now that I've gone through this whole experiment of you know, recognizing my reaction, separating fact from story, coming up with alternatives, now, can I take that all into consideration and figure out what, okay, what our next steps?
Speaker 3: Is this all internal? Is this all story?
Speaker 1: And can I rectify it within? Or is it more likely partially fact partially story? And can I therefore address the fact in a grounded kind of constructive way rather than coming at it from an emotional point of view.
Speaker 2: I love this exercise because even when you were getting me to think about potential other scenarios, it was like this moment when my brain was confused, I was like what do you mean? What do you mean as other scenarios that aren't bad, because it's just like you just hone in on the worst case scenario because that's how you best prepare, right. So it was interesting even me thinking of those scenarios. I was like, oh, I felt lighter in a way of Oh, it actually did feel I stepped back a bit, and I'm like, oh wow, Okay, Yeah, there could be so many other options, but I like that you give only two because sometimes I think if you're an overthinker like me, you can come up with a scroll and then you're just paralyzed still in thoughts. So I like that it's too other alternatives. Let's stick with two, just to bring in some cognitive flexibility and just to realize, oh my gosh, there's a lot that I brought to this that might not be the fact.
Speaker 3: Here at all. Yeah, totally, totally.
Speaker 2: It's funny because you know how people always say, oh, just get over it, like you'll be fine.
Speaker 3: How do we actually get over it?
Speaker 2: Like, I know you've given some strategies, is there anything else that you would recommend? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think you know, once you've gone through that exercise and you figured out Okay, the internal stuff, this is old stuff. This is because my mum was always quite critical, or because you know, at this one job, that's how that conversation started. I did get fired. But this is not the current situation. Once we've been able to kind of work through the story stuff, if there is still fact, you don't have to just get over it and pretend like it's all good.
Speaker 3: Address it.
Speaker 1: You deserve it to be addressed, and then you can come at it once you've done that exercise and disentangled it. You can come at it from a more grounded, kind of level headed perspective rather than coming in with raw emotions, which will make it more likely that you can get your needs heard and met.
Speaker 3: So don't just feel like you have to bury it. You get to address it. Yeah, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I think something that I'm curious about because I'm sure there's people out there that are like, but Anita, I've tried all these stratg jeez, like I've done all of this and it's still not working. Like I'm still taking things personally. Is that when they will come to see you or like get further support.
Speaker 3: In that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're you're own expert. You know, if if this is just something that is affecting you left, right and center and every relationship in every setting and it's it's then it probably is a sign that there's something a little bit deeper, and we do need to go to the core of where this all is coming from so that we can loosen, you know, the pullback into taking everything personally. Therapy is not the only way though, So there's certainly, you know, things that you can do with repetition. If we do the sex us that we just said over and over again and start bringing in this cognitive flexibility in every situation, it starts to become a little bit of a default that we don't just run with our first story. But it's going to take a little bit of time because again, these patterns are well entrenched, and even just bringing in this new realization that oh, my interpretation isn't reality, it's just my story that I'm layering on top, I've got now got a tool to bring in some flexibility in some room. Yeah, it's going to take time to practice that, but it will start to close that gap.
Speaker 3: Between logic and feeling.
Speaker 1: It takes emotions are a bit slower, just give it a little bit of time with repetition that you will get there. Yeah, and if you don't, then you deserve a little bit of support to unpack what's going on underneath. Yeah, it's like trusting the process, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: What about if you're in.
Speaker 2: A situation right You're hanging out with your friends and someone throws a joke at you and everyone's having a good laugh, but it actually hurts, like you actually do take it personally, Like how do you address that? Like do you raise it in the moment, do you pull them aside later? Is it something that's just your own inner reflection, Like yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's no one right way to do it, but I think a great place to start is to kind of do some inner soothing as well, so you can almost give yourself that inner part that feels a bit vulnerable a little bit of a sort of a symbolic hug and Zach, actually this was okay, it's not an attack about who you are, and you know, take a little bit of a pause before reacting. That being said, if you feel like this friend is always mattering in this way, that kind of you know, I'm I'm kind of at the brunt of the joke, then you know it's okay to address it as well. But I think, yeah, if we've done these exercises where we're sort of these thought exercises of going through why would this person have said that? And is it much more about a humorous comment and very little to do about who I am as a person, it might already help to diffuse that. If it still doesn't, and it's still just sitting wrong with you and it just still hurts, then you can do some of that in a soothing to try and help that inner feeling, but then also feel free to kind of address it. Maybe you could you want to delay it. Maybe it's not right then and there. Maybe you want to see if this plays out and again again again, and if so, then it might become worthy of addressing. But you're the best judge of whether that's something that you can absorb and neutralize internally or whether that needs to be addressed. But it's common that sometimes intention and how it lands is not the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I really love about a sert of communication is that you know, you're building that muscle of what it looks like to have a healthy relationship, you know, and fostering that but also having a healthy relationship with yourself because when you did take something personally, that was data telling you, hey, there's something we need to address here for you and your value, but also your value within that dynamic.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there's a lot we can learn from that. One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I think it's so nice how you know, in a set of communication, I'm looking after my needs, I'm looking after your needs, and you know, happy days we can we can have, you know, much more of a harmonious relationship and connection if if both of us are respected and heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a lot of the time, it's like in the lead up of having those conversations, it can be really scary, so like normalizing that because you know, you kind of have to confront a pattern that's kind of keeping you stuff. But once you get through the other side you have that conversation, you feel a lot lighter.
Speaker 3: That's true, and so much more connected as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that rupture and repair process and once you're prepared, it.
Speaker 3: Evolves your relationship or your connection.
Speaker 2: Okay, I loved how relatable this conversation was, and I hope you feel less alone and more equipped next time you do take something personally. Thank you to Anita for joining me on this episode today. You can find links to her work in our show notes. Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters on which this podcast was recorded