Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 1: From Mamma Mia.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture fix.
Speaker 1: I'm Cassana lu.
Speaker 2: Kitch and I'm Laura Brudnick.
Speaker 3: And today we are diving deep into the logis. Last night it was Australia's Night of Nights. We're going to go into the fashion, the red carpet, some of the misses, not on fashion, but on like maybe the stand up stuff and the big winners.
Speaker 1: But first we're going to start with our red carpet. Now, Laura was there, I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I was comfy and cozy in my Jarmis that sounds so nice because it was.
Speaker 1: Very wet day.
Speaker 3: Yes, but yeah, can you tell us a little bit about the chaos of the red carpet and then we'll talk about some of our looks.
Speaker 4: It's so funny because when the broadcast was still going at like eleven forty five last night. I don't want to feel that bad for the celebrities and their gowns, but I did a little bit because they were all there. I mean, I'm sure they started getting ready at like nine am in the morning, but they were all there at like round two o'clock kind of lining up too on the red carpet, which is when I got there. So if I sound daisy today, guys, it's because I got to the Logis red carpet at two pm and I left them on MIR office at about one point thirty last night from doing the coverage and now I'm here and that's show biz and you well, I don't know in the camera, but yes, the red carpet. So it was at the Star in Sydney, which I love. I was saying to the team last night in one of the hours of delirium that the Logis is one of the Australian events where it feels as fancy in real life as it does on camera, because so many times you see premiers and they look so fancy on TV or people's socials, but you just know that behind the scenes it was a little more low key. But the Logis was, yes, super fancy, huge red carpet. Everyone was there and some like really good looks. This year I thought I.
Speaker 1: Was a little bit disappointed. I have a couple of fays.
Speaker 4: Yes, when you say disappointed. We disappointed that they like the looks one over the top enough, like you don't have to name names already can.
Speaker 3: But I just think there was nothing that I was like wow, wow wow, yeah. And I think sometimes that can happen with the logies.
Speaker 4: Do you know why some people when they do take a big swing with a big gown at the logies, they get made fun of because I guess astraia sometimes we pull back on there. I remember, like this is years and years ago, but I remember one year Beg Judd wore this huge gown and she had absolutely roasted. And there's a few people over the years I think like a volume of stress already thinks super glittery. They get really roasted for being over the tops. I think everyone's too scared to.
Speaker 2: Go all out, even though I love that.
Speaker 4: I would love to see like a ten meter train going down the carpet.
Speaker 1: I mean we saw a few pants suits like Kitty Flanagan.
Speaker 3: I feel like she looked great that sort of sat knee suit that she wore.
Speaker 4: Well, her show won like five awards at night, so she was up and down the stage and she probably actually she had to be mobile, she had to be agile.
Speaker 2: And she would have been comfy, Yeah, which is so important.
Speaker 3: So Sonya Krueger in custom Alan Leekal and I thought that was absolutely stunning.
Speaker 1: I always think she looks really amazing.
Speaker 3: Like I know that she's over the top, like that's kind of what I wanted to see. This beautiful column dress. It was like gold, sparkly, this gorgeous cinched in waist, and you know, watching her on the broadcast, I just thought she looked really, really gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did look lovely.
Speaker 4: Oh. Also, guys, go to this Spill podcast Instagram page and we'll put all the looks were about to talk about. We'll put the photos there so you can follow along with us. Yeah, there was a few. I loved Zanro in the red with the different cutouts and the draping and the red lip.
Speaker 2: I think she looked gorgeous. Who else did you like?
Speaker 1: The other one?
Speaker 3: I really loved Tanya Hennessy in this beautiful sort of baby pink satinnee dress and Mary Eonidas designed the dress. And she's just gotten pregnant and after this big, you know, seven year struggle with IVF. She looked so happy. She looks so beauty. Beautiful and she was just glowing.
Speaker 2: I loved her.
Speaker 4: She looked gorgeous and it was so funny because she was going along doing some interviews and she looked all glowy in a beautiful pink party dress and then she was like, guys, I'm only doing the red carpet and then I'm going home because I'm so tired. And I just thought, especially when it fit the broadcast finished at midnight, I was like, that is the thing to do. Do the red carpet, see everyone, take the photos, and then get out of it.
Speaker 3: I actually was messaging her on Instagram the other day and I was like, Babe, I know that you've been going through this journey and it's a lot, but like go take an app like you're allowed to sleep, and she's.
Speaker 1: Like, thank you so much. Yes, I need to sleep.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, so good honor.
Speaker 1: I'm glad she did that.
Speaker 4: A few people who I thought had really like again, stand out dresses. Polling now who was up for the gold LOGI in the beautiful like a cream corset, like so structured and this beautiful full silk draping skirt, and like when she walked towards us, so we can interview her on the red carpet.
Speaker 2: She like she could have been in the oscars.
Speaker 1: She looked so regal.
Speaker 4: And her dad was walking behind her on the red carpet the whole way, watching her give interviews, watching everyone swarm around her, with his big smile on his face, and it was so cute. I also loved Chloe Hayden from Heartbreak High.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who was wearing. I think it was Romance is.
Speaker 4: Born with like the beautiful, sparkly details and the she'skirt.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what I want to see. I want to see like a little bit more like fashioning, yeah, rather than bridally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I think Logi's fashion does via into like high school formal look a little bit, with the kind of the gown or the column dress and like the slight waved hair. It's yeah, it's all very but I guess you want to play it safe because like some places still do the best and worst. What did you think of Zoe Foster Blake's dress, Because that was the weirdly the dress that was like the contentious dress of the night.
Speaker 1: Again, it was more a fashioning dress.
Speaker 4: Yes, which is why I think that few people were just like what is she wearing and I was like, no, no, she's done a look.
Speaker 3: But Zoe has I think she's got impeccable style. It wasn't my favorite. I feel like the fit at the top wasn't that great, but again I prefer the more sort of fashion looks.
Speaker 1: Oh that's just fashion look.
Speaker 4: It was like an emerging designer with the cutouts and like no one else had a dress like that.
Speaker 1: That's why I liked it.
Speaker 3: Even though I wasn't crazy about the feet on the top, I was still like, yes, I do.
Speaker 4: Like I think sometimes like that, it does take a minute, Like I had to sort of go back and look at it later and really look at it. And that's when I really appreciated the detail of styling, because I think the first photo I saw of her, it was her in the hotel room and they were getting ready, her standing in the dress, and for a second I thought it was you know, when you're making like a fancy dress like that, you do like in like a Muslim like a fabric.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you do like the shape of it.
Speaker 4: For a second, I'm like, oh, that's the fitting for the dress she's going to do, and it's pieced together in that white fabric and then they're going to make the dress and I realized it was the dress, which as she came down the red carpet, I only saw her briefly, but she looked gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, I do want to also preface this.
Speaker 3: We're saying that while I'm judging looks for people on the red carpet, I was wearing like a dirty tracksuit and no makeup and my hair in a bun, so like I don't really have that much bersin.
Speaker 4: But it was literally I was on the red carpet because I had a long dress on. I had like the raddiest flat pointy shit black shoes that like the edge of the heel is falling off because you've got to stand there for like nearly four hours. And I was just like, I have to wear a broken in shoe. Yeah, so I would have died if someone Sorry, but you know what, that's part of the job.
Speaker 3: And the final one I do want to mention is Ricky Lee. I loved the color Sean Rontero, beautiful, beautiful color, like really like striking on the carpet.
Speaker 1: I really like that.
Speaker 3: I don't love it when people wear black on a carpet because I do feel like it fades a.
Speaker 4: Little bit, especially because they had the black media walls this year, so that made it harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I love when people sort of wear something that's quite striking like that.
Speaker 1: And I loved the split.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that looked gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: When she came over for us to interview, we were saying like, oh, we love the Fabrica dress and she's like, yeah, I feel it. It's so shiny. It was very shiny, I can say from up close the other dress. I didn't get to chat to her at the event, but I was waiting in the little media holding area before we gone too the red carpet, and Lynn McGranger, who plays Irene on Home and Away, came out of the room where all the Channel seven stars were and it was like, I can only describe it as like a queen walking into court, because she walked out and she was wearing this beautiful satin gown, this really rich, like deep gold, and she walked to the media room. Everyone was just staring at her and just like, that's like a gold Logie winning dress. She knew she was like yeah, and she had pulled out the dress of the occasion.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: Johnny Giella styled her. I've been styling her for many years. I think you did a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah she did.
Speaker 3: She looks beautiful again, a really striking, lots of jewel tones. Yes, so that the earrings as well, really striking. Looks great on stage, looks great on camera. I think that there's some things that don't translate as well onto two photos.
Speaker 4: It's so wild, isn't it. You would see this going to eventstimes. You'll see a dress in person and you're like, that is the most beautiful dress I've ever seen. And then you'll look at like the Getty photos and the images that get released, and it just looks so dull.
Speaker 1: There's no movement.
Speaker 4: It's so wild about how many beautiful dresses just tank wants their photograph.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've had it many times. Yeah, when I'm like, I am killing it.
Speaker 1: I look great, and well look at the photos.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, and it just doesn't Yes, sometimes that they just don't photograph.
Speaker 1: It's not hitting. Yeah, it's not hitting. I also do want to talk about the boys quickly?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, who's on your shit list? Tell me all of them?
Speaker 3: Oh, really all of them, no one, No one brought it again. I love it when men take risks with fashion, and I think we're seeing that a lot more. But I love you David Campbell. You're a wonderful man and a wonderful presenter. But it was like this satiny greeny gold color with the bow tie. I think it washed him out a bit, and I just didn't love it.
Speaker 1: Poor David Campbell.
Speaker 3: I just I know, and I feel bad because I do really love him.
Speaker 1: I just didn't love that suit.
Speaker 3: I feel like, if you're going to take a risk with a suit as a man, you've got to really do it carefully. And a couple of them just didn't really nail it for me.
Speaker 4: Who else or is it just David Campbell was singing out, I feel like to throw a few more names.
Speaker 1: They can take it. Dr Chris Brown.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's fine.
Speaker 4: He's a handsome, rich TV style You can say what you want to say about that.
Speaker 3: Also, gorgeous, tall, handsome, lovely guy. It was kind of these paneled things on the suit, and it.
Speaker 1: Just didn't really work for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sure he'll take that feedback on board. That's important.
Speaker 1: He well, I'm going to messag him about I'm gonna tell him, let me say it.
Speaker 4: Yeah again, Maybe it didn't. Maybe she didn't photograph well, actually did. I saw his head across the room, of course he did. The tall people. Yeah, tall people's heads always see each other across. But I couldn't get a good look at his pants. I'll do that next time. I feel like that's a loss of journalism on my part.
Speaker 3: I think in it tight squeeze, like give me a beautiful tucks like Hamish Blake were nice tucks, yes, like lovely tucks.
Speaker 1: Nothing special about it. But you know he looked, he looks snap, yes and tidy. Love that.
Speaker 4: And that is our feedback on the red carpet. Okay, So getting onto the ceremony. So we start off with Sampang hosting. This is his third year, and he had said going into the logis that his advice to everyone in the audience, because he famously does skewer quite a lot of ossie slabs. During his opening monologue, his advice was just laugh along, otherwise you will become the story the next day because you can't take a joke. And I feel like everyone the audience was listening because they were laughing along, but they were like some pained looks behind the smiles.
Speaker 5: I think Jimmy Barnes singing working class Man, Welcome to the nineteen eighty five logis I'm your host, Greg Evans working class Man. I can't think of a song that has less of a connection to the people in the room. Tennot Louis is massive in the United States and is officially the most watched children's content in America, just ahead of a school shooting safety video. And of course, my favorite Married at First Sight in its twelfth season, and the big story this year was when Paul punched a hole in a wall after finding out his TV wife slept with a rapper, a story as old as time. By the way, a hole in the wall is something most of the contestants would be very familiar with this look. I've actually got an idea for next season. I think they should cast the mushroom Lady.
Speaker 2: Has the caterer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when Sam was digging at Richard Mark's a new Voice coach and going like, I'm sure you answered that call like quick smart, yes, you face.
Speaker 4: Was like and I did think for a second that was like a play along beat, you know, how sometimes they panned someone in the audience and they've got an angry look because they're part of the joke.
Speaker 2: But I don't think that.
Speaker 4: Was the other joke that was like at the very top of them all loong, I thought, hit so hard and she kind of did laugh, but she looked like she didn't expect it was when he said I've been hosting the Low Years for three years and I'm sure Kerry Ane Kenley now knows that I'm not on doo, which the camera pan to her, but also big laugh and I'm sure, where's the lie?
Speaker 3: They were, Well, yeah, I think so. I did think though this wasn't his strongest year.
Speaker 2: Oh really Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was chatting to a girlfriend who was in the room and she was like, it just felt not as polished as normal. And I'm not sure if that was from maybe he didn't have enough rehearsals, or there were a couple of changes in jokes or AUTOQ issues, like, there's lots of different reasons for that, but you know, he did make a couple of good I liked the one louis the most watch show in the US, just ahead of a school shooting safety video which.
Speaker 4: Got a lot of mixed review in the room, which is like, it's like again, I definitely see the humor in the joke, and it's like a joke at America's expense, which is so warranted. But I understand how you wouldn't want to be the personal audience who does the big laugh and the camera cuts to you as.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was definitely a lot of oohs, but that's what you expect from yeah, a monologue exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's why.
Speaker 4: He has been so successful hosting Logi's last three years because the first time he did three years ago, like they had always done this before, but it's the first time a host came out and just did this very so kind of cutting but smart and funny monologue, calling out so many people in the room and not just teetering on those kind of done jokes, but pushing the envelope a little bit. Yeah, which I think he did again this year.
Speaker 1: He definitely did.
Speaker 3: I just don't think it was his strongest year. Interesting, he did kind of make an insinuation that this was going to be his last year.
Speaker 4: He just say I won't be asked back again, but I don't know that's what Ricky Davas said every year until they kept asking him back, so like readings and ratings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see how that one goes. I did. Like the big running joke throughout.
Speaker 3: The whole show was the Gold Logi nominations. Now seven people were nominated, one man, yes, Hamish Blake.
Speaker 4: And I don't think and a person has been in such an awkward position at the low years before, and the awkwardness started on the day they did like the big in person announcement and they caught out all the names that people nominated, and I think Hamish was towards the end they did the group photo outside and the first thing he said to waiting journalists like five minutes after being announced, he was like, do not vote for me. I don't deserve to win. I've won twice. This isn't my year. Please don't do it. And he has continued that all the way through the Law Years campaign.
Speaker 3: It seemed quite calculated, even from like the Logi's production team, because every presenter was like, don't vote for him, don't vote for him, don't because the Gold Logi voting didn't end until like I think ten.
Speaker 4: Or alone, like literally did ten thirty, which I mean the ceremony was still freaking going at midnight, so that was plenty of time. It was so funny because as we were like watching the ceremony towards the end and it was getting close to gold LOGI time, I was getting a bit like Lynn McGranger was the favorite twin all the way through, and so I felt pretty safe that she was going to do that.
Speaker 1: But just because they made such.
Speaker 4: A big deal of it, and they kept hitting it so hard, and even like in his opening monologue, Sampaig is like, I voted for Hamish Blake not because I hate women, but because I just want to see him make the most awkward acceptance speech of all time. And then I started thinking, like, we've got like four hours to go, voting lines are still open. There's a lot of people out there that could just vote for Hamish now that they've made it such a big deal to see him get on stage, to see what he'll do, to see the upset in the room. So I feel like that was a real possibility.
Speaker 1: I was like, there's no way.
Speaker 3: I just didn't say it happening, and I almost think he would have not accepted it.
Speaker 2: I feel like you wanted to such a No, that's what my mean.
Speaker 4: I feel like he would have got up and maybe like given the logo to someone else, But I don't think it was out of the realm of possibility that his fan base is so big and people might do it as a little bit of a joke as well.
Speaker 3: Yet, look, he is a talented presenter, he's a great comedian, and it's obviously been extremely successful. I did like the Hamish as a diversity higher that kind of that.
Speaker 1: Got me a that gave me a little chuckle. But yeah, it definitely was.
Speaker 3: And even Zoe was like, I love my husband, please don't vote for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were doing an anti campaign all night and then got at work. That would have been a horrible way to end it. I thought it was like quite an emotional night with all the awards, like who are your faves?
Speaker 3: I think for me, one that I really want to shout out is Yelling the dockch Ex tennis star and you know, wrote a book and then had her documentary Unbreakable, and I just was really moved by her and have followed her story.
Speaker 1: She is a Serbian woman.
Speaker 3: I'm got serbian heritage too, so I definitely feel like a real connection to her, and I think, you know, when her tennis career ended. I'm not putting words in her mouth here, but from what I understand, lacked so much confidence in herself. And these last few years seeing her just blossom as a commentator and blossom as a writer, and being in this documentary seeing her regain that confidence that was so brutally taken from her as a young woman was really really touching. And there wasn't a dry eye in the house.
Speaker 4: No, And I thought that part of the speech where she was saying like this is for every woman or girl who's like not been able to tell their story or been told their story doesn't matter. And yeah, people have resonated with that so much, like the comments and the shares people congratulating her.
Speaker 2: It was wild.
Speaker 1: That one really really touched me.
Speaker 3: And you know, everyone only got thirty seconds to do their acceptance speeches. They gave her a little extra time, Yeah, because it was clear that it was really really special. I also noticed a lot of female winners this year in general. I know they've sort of split up, but it did feel like a woman's night, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Guess because they were like yeah in the documentary and then Allie Langdon won the Raymartin Award, and there was a lot of different women who were like also behind the scenes, like the team behind Appleside and Videgar which won a few awards, and Fisk, which was the other big winner of the nine and ABC. It's one of those shows that like, I feel like we don't talk about enough, but so many people watch, but yeah, it's on ABC can be funning and got up. They want a whole bunch of awards, and they take out a lot every year, like over Colin from Accounts and all these other like sometimes more shows that get more buzz.
Speaker 3: I thought Colin from Accounts might win because of the buzz around Patrick Bramle, and I thought that maybe that would send it. But you know, it's great to see Fisk winning so many things, particularly on a you know, network like ABC, which is.
Speaker 1: Funded by the government.
Speaker 3: It's a smaller network, and to see something do so well and resonate is really nice.
Speaker 4: ABC makes up so much, like they never really stats, but from everyone I know who works around it, ABC makes up a huge part of the voting population, which is sometimes why you see shows that don't feel as popular just pop up at the Awards show because.
Speaker 2: I guess they're the people that are voting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's a lot of digs at Free to Air.
Speaker 4: That was so funny because also where's the lye? So like a few times, like Kitty Flannigan was saying a few different things, a few other different comedians on stage about the different streamers, saying like, SBS love the sound to sink tenplay more like one play if you're lucky, like and also I feel like that's just a very real thing with one of those streamers.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, does that mean that we're going to be seeing an end to that way of watching?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so, because those networks have to keep their own content on their own platforms. I wonder if there'll just be some little up dates. It's so funny because Res Nicholson, the comedian and podcast host and author who was at the event last night, they went on the project in the last week that the project was airing and did this little piece to cam where they were like, fixed.
Speaker 1: Ten play, it never works, it's so buggy.
Speaker 4: And they did this whole big rant to camera and that when viral because so many people were sharing it, and the next day, Reese posted this thing to their Instagram account, this screenshot, and it was an update to the app that they've received, So they were updating the app in the background, and everyone was like, is that from the Project Rant? And I think maybe it was probably Yeah, So I went and off all these other because yeah, it was all It was all the streamers Binge.
Speaker 2: They were like, Binge would love to can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was like, well, bing I know every network got a little shout out for their platforms, not workings. I love when we get into tech chat at the logis that's important for us.
Speaker 3: Also, another very heartwarming moment was Magnuzbanski's Hall of Fame win, which was incredibly well deserved.
Speaker 1: They did this.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, beautiful video for her, and you know all of the people that reached out, Danny Minogue, Rebel Wilson, George Miller, Matt Lucas, Richetie Grant, Melissa McCarthy.
Speaker 4: Also McCarthy popped up. But I'm like, hey, girl, where did you come from? But I guess like Magnet is an international name, like people know her everywhere.
Speaker 1: Kath and Kim is huge, yeah overseas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they tried to do an American version didn't work like Australian one.
Speaker 3: And then you know, seeing the video from Magda accepting the award was again not a dry eye in the house. She's obviously been diagnosed with cancer going through chemotherapy, and you know, one of the things she's like, I earned this, and I love that. I love it when someone doesn't have that kind of I don't deserve this. This that that imposter syndrome. You know, she said, I deserve this. I earned it. And you know she's like, you know, thank you for all the support, and I feel that so much stronger to deal with the cancer because of this support.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it was really beautiful to watch because she's like, oh, I didn't think I was gonna cry, but she did start tearing up when she was talking about the supportive people around her.
Speaker 1: But again, she's so funny.
Speaker 4: She started off with by saying, like, guys, this is not because I've got the cancer.
Speaker 2: Okay, She's like, I've earned this.
Speaker 4: I've worked really hard, I've bribed, I've chased people down, like this is why I have it. And you can just see people in the audience like just like so many people were sobbing and crying because I had the camera panning round while they showed her video. People were cheering like her kind of like effect on Australian culture and activism and everything is just like completely unparalleled.
Speaker 3: I mean the Heath Ledger moment, yeah, because that was crazy.
Speaker 1: I remember that happening.
Speaker 2: That was crazy at the time.
Speaker 3: That is still to this day one of my favorite ever clips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of all time. When she screams when she sees him on a red carpet, yeah.
Speaker 3: And everyone is like shook and then they make out and it's just the best clip ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is just iconic.
Speaker 3: And right at the end of hers bait, she ripped off her beanie, yeah, revealed her bald head and it was moving and so well deserved and Magda, I just have so much.
Speaker 4: So much love, such an incredible moment, so well deserved. I don't know how to transition from that to some of the more off kilter moments of the night, but I guess that's what the logi is. Is like, one minute, everyone's crying and celebrating this icon and you've got people in the audience like Hamish Blake is saying like I used to go to school and like say, mag just Kamanski like comedy lines to people, and that's how I got into comedy. So he went from that beautiful moment to some other moments on stage that were a bit more of kilter. So Tom Gleeson notorious kind of menace at the log Yees, oh wow, remember his big campaign to win the Gold LOGI.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think like a lot of people in the industry, well, I mean I know because I've said it, but even to this day, I think they still hold on to it.
Speaker 2: I just think that he made like a bit of a mockery of the event.
Speaker 1: But that's his that's his shtit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, I thought it was funny, but I can understand like there were some people who were, like I legitimately wanted to win, Like I think Amanda Keller said it. She's like, I really wanted to win, and I don't think I might not be in the race again, Like you never know what it's going to happen, and you just kind of made a joke of it.
Speaker 2: People went with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that that can be the problem with the logis is that there is a large portion of the Australian industry that kind of takes it as a bit of a joke. It is funny, it's kind of yes, it's our night of nights, but it does have this undercurrent of being a little bit silly, yes, and a bit like not great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everyone's like this is not Prestige or the thing is like not everyone watches the Actors, which is meant to be like the Strain Actor Awards is meant to be the Prestige is meant to be our kind of Academy Awards, but it doesn't get as much airtime as the logies. Tom Gleeson got on stage with Poet at one moment and he was asking her she was gonna win, and she was kind of laughing, and he's like, well, you're not going to win. Let me tell you that because you're not Channel seven and Channel seven is only inviting because obviously Channel seven ran the logis. And he was like, because Channel seven only invited everyone, he had watch them win awards, And then he said, it's kind of like inviting someone over to your house to watch you wank, and Poe was just like do you see that bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she just looks shocked all new and I'm like I was.
Speaker 3: Shocked because I just I'm now remembering it and it's just like the poor girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think because obviously they all rehearse and they had their bits written by a writer for when they come out up on the screen. I don't think that was like a pre planned bit because Poe kind of looked away and she was a laughingtion what to say. And I think everyone in the audience, like some people were clapping because they were just like, yeah, it's Channel seven just gonna win everything. And then people and then some people are like, how dare you question the sanctity of the logis so well?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean this is the thing, like there is always going to be that criticism, and I think Tom Gleason just leans into it. I mean, hard Queers is one a number of times. Yeah, it's just kind of the way it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's already won a Gold Logie. He's like, what else could I do? Like, I can't make a more career of it again. But then we got into the bigger awards of the night, and I feel that's when things got really got back on track in like an emotional sense.
Speaker 3: So I think the biggest win of the night was obviously Linnmagrangel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Irene.
Speaker 4: Thirty three years, she's been on Home and Away, Like, I don't remember a time in my life where she hasn't been on that show.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. We grew up with her. It's her and ray Mar, Yeah, that is.
Speaker 4: Every time she got on stage and they panned her, Raymar and he just got his hands in the air clapping for her. Oh my god, Alf and Irene love them.
Speaker 1: But what's crazy is it's the first time she.
Speaker 4: Won that, right because I was saying, she's also the longest serving actress on an Australian drama in history, and this is the first time she's been nominated again, it's wild. So I'm glod glad she won two and one Night to go out and High.
Speaker 3: So she won obviously the Silver Logie for Best Actress and then the Golds.
Speaker 4: Yes, which is I think there's a sigh of relief in the room because again she was the favorite to win. It was kind of just a greed thing that she was gonna win. But because it's a public vote and it was open so late, it could have gone either way. And for anyone who's on a cross Home and Away if you're not still still watching that show that's been on for thirty eight years. She is retiring, So she's leaving after thirty three years. She's had this huge emotional storyline, which she referenced on stage. Her character Irene is leaving because of an Alzheimer's diagnosis, but they're also doing this big celebration of her life. So she gets up on stage, she does the silver logi and it's one of those things you can kind of see that she's hedging her bets a little bit because she gave this really emotional speech where she thanks the cast and crew and everyone watched, and she made note of the storyline on Home and Away at the moment. But it's also there was this kind of feeling in the room that she was about to come back on stage for the gold logi. So you don't want to kind of go too hard in that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So after she won, we did have a little bit of a break with two songs.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, no offense to that man, but that was outrageous.
Speaker 1: It was rich.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, I know, I know, I feel like he's great.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: The point of that was it was nearly.
Speaker 4: Midnight I know I'm supposed to finish at eleven o'clock. I was sitting at my desk in a freaking mumamere office, like three cans of chokarami. I'm neeling on the floor. I'm so tired now that it's about me. I also thought for people in the room, because they've been getting ready since nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: And I could see people start at starting to slump.
Speaker 3: And again, my girlfriend, who works for seven, was in the back of the room and she was texting me.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'm so tired. Everyone's like slumping.
Speaker 4: Everyone because they when we were in their cup but they were rushing people in at five thirty five thirty. That is because they've got to have dinner and then clear all the plates away before they can start the broadcast. So they've been sitting in those chairs since five thirty. And I know, literal champagne problems. But if you're seeing that from five thirty, it's a midnight and a man comes out on stage to play two songs, because at that stage you even need to go home or you need to go to the after party and like wake yourself up. And when he came out, I was just like just no, he did get him off the stage.
Speaker 1: She didn't really land.
Speaker 3: So for the logis basically what they do is and this is for a lot of awards show is when you're in the room, you have to stay in a scene until the ad breaks. Yes, so during ad breaks, people literally bolt out of the room and often in the hallway because if you miss the ad break, they.
Speaker 1: Lost you out idea, which a lot of people do on purpose.
Speaker 2: So because you want to be out in the bar, we can move around and talk to people.
Speaker 3: The amount of like the amount of ties where people were like running to the bathroom and then just like hanging around waiting for the next section to be over so they could have like a little a little breather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And I also feel just here's my feedback for the logis love you. I have some nice things to say to you when we finish the app But my main note would be that big musical guest at the end, because the reason that musical slaughters at the end is that used to be the big international star.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like Avril Levine would come at like her peak. I mean she's still peak, but you know she would come and perform at the end, So it was this big thing. Everyone was waiting. Ricky Martin would come out at the end again during his big peak and everyone would just be up on their feet screaming. So having them all performance at the end was like a super highlight of the night. No offense to that man, but it just wasn't the same thing.
Speaker 1: He's also just.
Speaker 3: Like I understand that he's successful. I am not familiar with all his music. I think that he definitely has a little bit of an ego, and I think that he was expecting a bigger Yeah, not that because maybe the night.
Speaker 1: But Jimmy Barnes opened and that was a lit like literally the stages on fire. It was so great. Like I would have rather seen Jimmy Barnes.
Speaker 2: Budget just yeah and just do working Class Man again. We would give me like.
Speaker 3: A melody with you know, Jimmy Barnes and like even Guy Sebastian and and like Ricky, like give me like a something something because did you I don't know if you saw that, because I'm just gonna switch very quickly.
Speaker 1: Hamilton did their big ten.
Speaker 3: Years yeah, yeah, and they did that, Yes at the Tonys, they did this Medley and I watched it like four times.
Speaker 1: Give me something like that, like, mayde me feel something? They needed something.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: That's my note for next year is like either cut that musical act, especially if you say the show's going to finish at eleven and we're getting into midnight and they're like still to come Best Drama gold LOGI Silver nominee.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: Anyway, then we got to gold Logi once that man was off the stage with his piano, and it was really beautiful and they called Lynn mcgranger's name out.
Speaker 1: She had her daughter Clancy next to her.
Speaker 2: They hugged.
Speaker 4: Everyone was like hugging around her. But it was because she had that huge volume a scout and she got up to the stage the first time quite well. But maybe because everyone was standing for the gold Logi.
Speaker 2: Did you say she.
Speaker 4: Couldn't get around in her dress and she couldn't pick it up and they were tight the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I guess.
Speaker 4: Maybe because people were coming in on her more because the first time she was fine, the second time couldn't get the dress up the stairs. Sonya Krueger ran out and lifted up one side. Kate Miller Haidke was on the other side. She ran over and they both lifted her dress so she could get to stage. And then when she got there, she was just like typical kind of Lynn McGranger. She was like, wear a nice stress. They said it'll look good, they said, like bloody hell, and then went into her speech.
Speaker 1: I know, And she was.
Speaker 3: Obviously very grateful, very very well deserved because we had Ali Langdon, we had Lisa Miller, Poling y'ao and Sonya Krueger also nominated, and then Hamish.
Speaker 4: I loved her in her speech, she goes all the beautiful women I'm nominated with love you, oh you Hamish.
Speaker 1: God love you. You're brave man.
Speaker 2: He was just like, get me out of it. He's so embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I just kept thinking like he just wanted it to be honest.
Speaker 2: I think I hear the relief on his face.
Speaker 4: You could see in the reaction if you look to the side his face when it was announced, The look of relief on his face. I cannot explain it. It was the same look I had when the Lugies finally ended, like thank god that happened. Look, Laura is tired. I know I am tired, but I did love everything about Lyndma Granger's speech. I loved her talking about her career. What do you got to the witch bit?
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 3: She's like, I'm going to take the clop off this thing, and when I'm cremated, you're gonna put the ashes in there. We're gonna screw it back on. It's gonna sit on my daughter's mantle face.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, that's how much that meant to her.
Speaker 2: It meant so much.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, she said she was going to carry around her handbag for a year, which I love. And she said she's gonna put her ashes in it, yeah, and give it to her daughter. Camera pans to her daughter, and her daughter Clancy is like, okay, I guess I'll.
Speaker 2: Deal with that later. I also love it.
Speaker 4: At the table next to her daughter Clancy was Aida Nikodimo, who plays Lea on Home and Away and they're obviously really close on the show, but they're also best friends in real life. She was sobbing and not the sweet like a few tears on her perfectly made of face, like her makeup was running. Her face was red, and I'm like, that's how best friend cries. They do an ugly cry.
Speaker 3: It's applied thing, and it's like just the Logis has been criticized over the years for being so particularly with the Gold Logis, for being so male dominated and only focusing on male presenters and performers, because unfortunately that's just misogyny for you and the patriarchy. So it was really nice to see that kind of flip. I do think it was concerted and very very conscious.
Speaker 2: Well it needs to be. Well, it's like when Magda won her award.
Speaker 4: Now, like she's only I think the fifth woman to be inducted into the Logi Hall of Fame in.
Speaker 2: Well over sixty years.
Speaker 4: Like that's wild, not that many women have also won the goal Loy Like it's a pretty male dominated space and if women win, it's usually like the same woman wins in a couple of years in a row, so it's not spread out. But yeah, she just looks so happy holding her Logi and like talking about what everything had meant to her, and then she thanked her daughter and then she said, my husband's not here.
Speaker 1: I asked him if he wanted to come. He said he'd rather swallow a hammer, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, that's kind of true love, because like they just must be so close that he can say it to her and she's like, that's fine, I'll have a better time with my friend.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean yeah as a husband, as the handbag, Yeah, you're just gonna be basically like she's gonna be busy, she's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be work in the room. She's got you know, logis to win and I get it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he was watching, or maybe he just went to bed and watched the higher.
Speaker 4: Maybe once the guy came on to see his two songs, he was like, even I'm out. But yeah, it was such a beautiful waiter and the night, especially when Sampang came out and she's like, it's so funny, how like you just want the gold LOGI VIDDI in justtry for thirty years, you're one of the most recognizable faces in Australian TV. And then she still was like what do I do at the end, and she's like do I leave? And she's got a little notepad under her arm and a LOGI all this stuff, and Sampang's like, no, no, no, stay here with me and we'll close the show together like you're the star.
Speaker 1: And she was like okay, And then Sampang couldn't have closed that fast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know he could see that after party in the distance.
Speaker 1: He was like, Okay, bye, thanks everyone. I know everyone's really tired.
Speaker 4: See later by So overall four if you have to give the logis an overall report card to finish up, what's your final grade?
Speaker 3: Not my favorite logos of all time. Loved, loved, loved, Magda, Yelena, and Lynn. You know that those really moving, powerful moments. Those were really really special for me. I wanted more jokes and I wanted a.
Speaker 1: Little bit more from Sam Page.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Okay, maybe this is a delirium talking because I've had like two hours sleep, but I weirdly thought it was one of the better logis that I've seen in the last couple of years, just because it felt I feel like we've with this logis, we've leant back into what the logis is meant to be. Like it is a little bit cringey, it's a little bit emotional, but it's really it's meant to be like a little bit heartwarming, as like our shows that we've grown up with. And it's so funny because I was telling my sisters that I couldn't come to see them this weekend. I have to go next weekend to Queensland because I had to go to the Logies. And my sister Kate was like, because we rely the same age, we used to watch Logis together every year growing up, like we'd stay up, like we'd step to midnight and watch Logis. It was our night, our special night. And she was like, I can't believe after we watch the Logis all those years growing up that.
Speaker 1: You get to go. That's so amazing.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I don't know how to tell you this, like over the weekend, but like the Logis is not a thing anymore. Like it it's not this big thing. It's not that special. And then when I was actually there and watching it, and I got so emotional over Magda, I got so emotional over Lynn even like yeah, like Kitty find again, all the different winners everything, and I was just like it actually is just I was feeling really goody it, and I was like, I'm really proud of everyone.
Speaker 3: And I am too, Like there's definitely there were so many moments that I really really enjoyed and loved, and I do think that we need to continue.
Speaker 1: Having the Logis.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's important to celebrate Australian television because we've got incredible talent here and it's not just about the performers. It's not just about the actors. It's about the incredible directors and writers. And I mean, look at Bluie, look at Fisk, look at Colin fw like, there are so many amazingly talented people in this industry that deserve to be recognized. Yeah, and I think we need to continue it. I just wanted more jokes from Sam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just like it to finish at ten pm. So maybe we'll just next.
Speaker 1: Year we work on those two things.
Speaker 4: Let's keep the logis, let's just keep keep it tighter, keep the jokes shorter, and you know we can we can bring it back.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening to The Spill today, guys. Now, do not forget to follow us on TikTok and check out our instagram because we're going to have all of the looks from the logis so you can kind of see if you agree with us. The Spill is produced by Manisha's Warren with sound production by Scott Stronik. Now do not forget to tune into Morning Tea at eight am. We will see you guys back here in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye Bye