Speaker 1: Welcome to the kick Your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand.
Speaker 1: Babies to be born, and our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 2: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome everyone. I'm Bridget Maloney.
Speaker 2: And I'm obstetrician doctor Patrick.
Speaker 1: Maloney, and we're recording this in the middle of winter and it's a.
Speaker 2: Bit cults past cold in the studio and we've had to turn the heater off so that you.
Speaker 1: Can't so we don't have a buzzying in the background. But we've got a very exciting, I hope podcast to do. And that's another update to a name or guideline, and we're going to be talking about PCO or as it's known now, p m OS.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So changing the name to PMS has been pretty well received because it probably much better describes the condition, makes sense of the treatments, and respects the reality of people who've got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know, in the name polycystic, everyone sort of just goes straight to the ovaries, don't they, and sort of look at the ovaries and look at the cysts on the ovaries. It's much more than.
Speaker 2: That, that's right, I think that was the problem. So polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS or p cost of people called it. It really described one small feature of the condition, and even that it described incorrectly. So the cysts that we can see on the ovary in women with PCOS aren't sists according to the traditional definition of an ovarian cyst. So their little follicles where the eggs come from. And those follicles, of course start off deep in the ovary, and in an normal cycle, the ovary picks one and says you are the chosen one for this month, and it matures it up. The follicle gets bigger, it moves to the edge of the ovary, and in the middle of the month, at the end of a hormonal cascade of hormonal signals, the follical eruptions and the egg pops out, and then that egg's got a fighting chance of being picked up by the little fingers on the end of the Filippian tubes and maybe even meet up with some sperms coming down the tube in the other direction. And so that's normal of varian physiology. And one of the things that happens in PCs is that you get a large number of semi mature follicles that have reached a certain size, but not an ovulatory size, and they're sort of around the periphery of the ovary, suggesting that they've been partially matured, but none of them have got to the point where they can pop out. And so a lot of the problems with PCs as it used to be called, followed from the fact that because there was no ovulation, there was little or no natural progesterone secretion from the ovary in the second half of the cycle, and a number of different metabolic problems flowed from that. But the original observation that there's seemed to be a bunch of cysts within the ovary wasn't even a correct observation, let alone the basis of the disease.
Speaker 1: And I did read that because we're getting better at doing ultrasounds, or there are more that people have more access to ultrasounds, that there's a lot of people that look like they've got lots of cysts on their ovaries, but don't necessarily have PCOS. So it was sort of leading to an over diagnosis.
Speaker 2: Yes, because just seeing that picture didn't mean that the person had PCOS. For example, if you saw that picture in a woman who was who had regular of ovulation, normal menstrual cycles, no acne, no hers utism, no endocrine disturbance, and was thin, then they clearly don't have PCOS despite having the typical ivarian features of Now the.
Speaker 1: Big drive to change the name, you know, obviously because the PCOS wasn't describing it well. But it was led by an Australian researcher, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exciting, so that a team from a Monash really pushed for the this to change. And I don't know exactly what the impetus was within that team, but I suspect it's because by calling it a polymetabolic avarian syndrome, I think the ovaries was still lucky to get into the new title. I think by calling it a poly metabolic syndrome, it's probably put the management of this condition and back where it really belongs, which is in the hands of the endocrinologists. There's medical specialists involved in our bodies, glands and physiology associated with glandular function, rather than the gynecologist, where it's a common thing to be sent to us. But it's not a common thing in my experience for Australian trained gynecologists to be particularly expert at the management of this condition, or certainly expert at the non gynecological manifestations.
Speaker 1: Of this condition. Yeah, that's fascinating, isn't it. And listeners from places outside of Australia, your practitioners still might call it PCOS because it's going to be a gradual change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it got published in the Lancet, which is quite a big deal. But the change that's proposed will happen over a few years. Medical world's not you know, we fear change.
Speaker 1: It famous for moving fast.
Speaker 2: It won't happen overnight, that's right. But what we hope is it's part of a of a developing approach to this problem where it's seen as not purely or in some cases not at all a gynecological problem. For example, I consider myself an expert on the management of PCOS when it comes to in fertility, so I am the right person to see somebody who has got significant p I just said PCs, significant p mos and they're not ovulating and they want to be pregnant. Send them along. But am I the ideal person to manage that person's difficulty losing weight there they're acne, their purseudism, their risk of diabetes, and their coexisting non gynecological metabolic problems like thyroid disease. Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: That's such a good point, and it's very common. That's why we're talking about it.
Speaker 2: That's why we're talking about it because this is not rare. So I think something like twelve percent do we gear twelve percent? We looked this up of adult women meet the current diagnostic criteria, which is an awful lot of women in the world. This is millions and millions of people who meet the criteria. Now, some would have relatively minor manifestations, but most could probably do with a high level, multi disciplinary assessment of their PMOS problem.
Speaker 1: So, Pat, let's give a very succinct answer to what are the features that are in PMO?
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is a the new name respects. It's the reality that this is a multi system condition. So there's the reproductive gynecological ones which are quite well described. There can be a disturbance to the menstrual cycle and a degree of subfertility. Then there's the dermatological ones, so that's the acne and the excess body hair.
Speaker 1: Which you said the term before hersietism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, hersteutism is excess body hair. Yeah yeah, yeah, what's the definition? Well, there are some places you definitely shouldn't have here. There are you know, racial and cultural differences in how much hair people have or consider normal. But the people what I ask people is you have you got more heare than you want to have? Yeah, or you can easily control. There are indocrine or glandular manifestations. There is a sort of more loosely defined cardio metabolic aspect to it, and a body weight issue to it. And then there's psychological manifestations as well, particularly in severe cases.
Speaker 1: And the people who have well who were diagnosed with PCOS might have heard about the Rotterdam criteria. Can you just talk about that?
Speaker 2: Those were the well known criteria which made up the diagnosis and the idea that you would have two out of three of irregular cycles and ovulatory dysfunction. So that's the guyiny stuff, hyper androgenism, which is too much testosterone, which was responsible for the acne and the excess body hair, and then an ultrasound appearance where the ovaries had an appearance consistent with that.
Speaker 1: Condition, and we talked about how that sort of being challenged a little bit. Say, let's just take the ultrasound a bit, because the polycystic is a bit misleading. But there's other reasons why that's being challenged, isn't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I think that that original criteria doesn't take into consideration the broader metabolic and the broader endocrine disturbance that this condition involves and is increasingly recognized as involving, and therefore a new set of diagnostic criteria might be coming a And.
Speaker 1: We've talked about the other things like having an ultrasound or somebody noticing excess body hair, but the cardio metabolic, how would somebody be tested, Well, what's their cardio system being tested with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, remembering for a moment that I'm a gynecologist and we're straying outside my area of expertise a little bit, I think that the gynecological investigations are well described, but the management of this condition as its definition and understanding broadens is likely to then involve management guidelines that take into consideration its broader implications. So, for example, when we look at cardio cardiovascular metabolic risk assessment, then it might be reasonable that every few years someone with PMOS would have perhaps a fasting glucose test he mu globin a one C testing to try and find the diabetes before its clinical clinically apparent cholesterol blood pressure something we're not measuring tons of times in young women, well in non pregnant young women, and then perhaps fasting insulin levels. These thought to be marcus of the sort of cardiovascular metabolic dysfunction that starts young in these in these patients.
Speaker 1: Yep, and you mentioned like a multidisciplinary approach. Who else would be involved in a person's care?
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing, right, I think you know, a bigger team. So we might have involved in the in the care of somebody with with you know, significant or severe pm OS. Perhaps an endochronologist, a physician skilled in the management of glangular problems, perhaps as the team leader, and then GP family doctor of course GP managing you know, most of this on a day to day basis, but perhaps the indecronologists involved once a year a gynecologist when it's gynecologically or obstetrically relevant, but perhaps not the rest of the time. People. The availability of the various weight loss medications that we've got now that actually work means that there's this growing area of doctors involved in the management and treatment of obesity and the downstream issues related to obesity, and the downsdoing issues related to the treatments for obesity. So if obesity was part of the PMOS patient's profile, then obesity specific management and then psychological support when we touched on before.
Speaker 1: So because people listening to this podcast would have picked this episode up because perhaps they do have PMOS and are trying to get pregnant. What going to a gynocologist or an obstrician. What's the management there?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's probably it's almost a podcast in itself, but the idea is from our specific trying to get pregnant point of view, not to downplay the importance of all the rest, but if we've got someone who's got this condition is trying to get pregnant, we're trying to re establish ovulation. That's the bottom line. And if the patient's clearly not ovulating. That will be clear from an analysis of their cycle, and they might go a year without a period. Those are that's a clearly an ovulatory time. They're not ovulating and so there's no subsequent period two weeks later, and re establishing that is the name of the game. We tend to examine the couple more broadly rather than just focus on the no period that's the whole problem. Maybe not, Maybe there's also male factor. There's also a problem with pelvic pain and ametriosis. But re establishing ovulation is the name of the game from that PMOS point of view. Now, there are various ways to do that. Sometimes people respond to weight reduction and a lot of the p p m o S symptoms get better at lower body weights. Now that can be easier said than done. But if we if we've got someone who's an ovulation responds well to weight reduction, the patient will often tell you that that's happened to her in the past, So she's dropped some weight, particularly quickly, and the periods start up again. Great news. We can we can, we can try that. Sometimes that's not appropriate, can't be done. There is no weight problem women's woman's already in normal normal weight range. So there's no role for weight reduction or it's been tried in it didn't work. So then we look at medications and there's some very effective medications that can in a sense, trick the ovary to say that you you don't have PMS anymore, and then the ovary will will reawaken, pick a fie and start opulating.
Speaker 1: And people might know that term, and in fact, I hope they do because we've talked about it a lot. That's ovulation induction.
Speaker 2: That's ovulation induction. Yeah, so it's it's a it's a reproductive intervention, well short of big invasive, expensive things like IVF, but very successful when the primary problem is not male factor, it's not block tubs, it's not in themetriosis, it's just that we're not ovulating.
Speaker 1: You've touched a couple of times on the obesity management medication. Can we talk a little bit about that. I know we've got a clinician in the practice that likes to call them ozembic bases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think these g l P one receptor agness that that that have have come out now there's various different brand names. They really they really work and they're probably particularly useful to help people. If what if the way we're trying to treat the PMOS, regardless of which symptom we're looking at, is through weight reduction, then you know, it's very unhelpful to most people carrying extra body weight to say the key to this is weight reduction. Good luck, it's been recognized for a long time. You need to give people a plan and a recipe for that weight reduction. Now, some people can just manage that through dietary alteration and increasing exercise, but lots and lots and lots can't. And if we're going to hang our hat on weight reduction as the answer, then it may well involve the use of these medications.
Speaker 1: And is it safe to get pregnant on these medications?
Speaker 2: The simil answer is no, they're not sort of ratified for use in pregnancy. If our main treatment goal with the PMOS patient is to get her ovulating again, and she's ovulated and conceived, then bingo, we've got there. She may still have some weight issues, but in pregnancy they need to be managed through dietary modifications and exercise. Because the medications probably unsuitable and certainly not proven to be suitable.
Speaker 1: And so would somebody on a GLP one if they got pregnant. Is the conception is that a problem?
Speaker 2: No, you just stop it when you know you're pregnant. Okay, yeah right, yeah, Like much things, it's quite fine just to stop it when you know.
Speaker 1: I know what people will say, is it better for me to be on a GLP one and lose the weight and perhaps have another contraception method while I'm doing that, and then once I've lost the weight, go off all of it, take the contraception out if it's a marina, and then get pregnant.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. You could just be on it and then lose the weight and then if you get pregnant to stop it.
Speaker 1: Great. That sounds like a solution then, okay, good, all right, Well, is there anything that a patient should be aware of what they need to ask their practitioner. So if they're saying an endochronologist and the NDO chronologist is really sort of focused on their metabolic problem, how do they talk to that endo chronologist about that the fact is that they want to be pregnant.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the you know, we're a big fan of the family doctor here on our podcast, And I think that the family doctor GP probably should be the coordinating person in terms of the everyday needs of the patient and really should be aware of what that woman's goals are for the next five years maybe, and so involving the right people at the right time. Very comfortable with the endochronologist being the sort of scientific team leader. But nobody knows you like your family doctor should, and that person really should be aware of what your upcoming goals are and think, oh, you want to be pregnant next year. All right, Well, why don't we go off and see the productive team just to find out for your just to find out how what their approach to this would be excellent.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'd love to get your feedback on how your PMOS is being managed and how you're traveling with it, and if you're in a different country, we'd love to hear what those different countries and what you know the process is for you as somebody that has PMOS, because it's a lifelong condition, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well it is, yeah, and there are points in your life where it's more important than others around the baby time and so forth. But I'm hoping that this name change gives the patience with the condition more confidence to expect and demand a better level of a better level of multi disciplinary care for this condition.
Speaker 1: All right, Well we'll put the new guidelines. Well they're not new, they're twenty twenty three, but it's taken this long for the world to accept it. We'll put them as a link to the show notes for everybody out there that has PMOS and we are hoping that this helps. All Right, everybody, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: If you really.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed this podcast, please share it with a friend. We've got some really great topics coming up and we know that you'll be fully informed. So until next week, we'll.
Speaker 2: See you then. Thanks for listening, everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, bye for now. Hey, even though doctor pat is well a doctor and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, I just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice. When you grow your baby,