Speaker 1: Stuff has happened before, Georgie, but of course we always I remember when very very early on we're talking about, you know, I will go into a bar or like an opening night or someone.
Speaker 2: I've also been with that and she's like, how many.
Speaker 1: Okay, Look, all of these relationships that I've had before you have led me to you.
Speaker 2: I'm the person I am because it's in a Taylor Swift song.
Speaker 3: I Share your Time.
Speaker 4: Hello, I'm Kate Lanebrook, and today I am so very thrilled to be sitting down with two of my favorite people, Georgie Tunney and Rob Mills. You might know him as Millsy and you might know her as Georgie Tunney. Now I have known Georgie for years. We work together on the project, and I've had a front row seat to watching her become one of the smartest, hardest working and most ambitious women in Australian media. She's a journalist, television presenter, newsreader and now a Fishcally, a novelist with her debut fiction book Over to You, which is out now. And then there's Rob Mills Millsey who's been a staple of Australian television ever since he burst onto our screens on Australian Idol back in two thousand and three. Since then, he's built an extraordinary career across music, TV and musical theater. He's currently starring in the Australian premiere of Waitress and together they are one of Australia's most beloved couples. They've been together for seven years, engaged for four. Come on, people, well they're constantly being asked the same questions, when's the wedding.
Speaker 3: What about babies? What's the plan?
Speaker 4: And in this conversation I asked them exactly that. We talk about the dm Rob sent Georgie after spotting her on ABC Breakfast, the months she left him hanging, their very first coffee, and the surprising reason their relationship works so well. We talk about ambition, rejection, long engagements, life in the spotlight, Rob's dating history, Georgie's dreams, and why Rob says this time next year he'd quite like to be looking after a baby. Mostly though, this is a conversation about love and timing and friendship and two wonderful people building a life together on their own terms.
Speaker 3: This is Georgie Tunney and Rob Mills.
Speaker 4: Who am I speaking with? I am speaking to two people who I love. Hopefully I will at the end of this conversation. For now, I have Georgie Tunney and I have Rob Mills. Welcome to no filter.
Speaker 2: Great to be here.
Speaker 4: Now, first I need to clear this up. Am I right in thinking that, among your many achievements, you two nearly won the erasing Amazing race only last year?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 4: Are you the same person that called me ten minutes ago from the foyer of this building on a main street in Melbourne and said I think we're here I and had to go be rescued from the foyer and brought up to the fourth floor.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Directions are not great for Tunny and sometimes when I let her lead, it doesn't go well. And also we did have all the information.
Speaker 3: When you lead, you don't sometimes it doesn't go well.
Speaker 2: But if you're with me, it's your fault.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had put the wrong address in.
Speaker 2: We were.
Speaker 1: Said it's fifty minute walk because I can't be right you know what from when you were here. I'm living in Fitzroy at the moment with a race and borrowed his car to get down here because of the rain, and George just like, yeah, it was going to be like a fifty minute walk.
Speaker 2: You said it was like a six It is a ten minute walk. I think you put the wrong edit. No I haven't.
Speaker 4: No, Okay, So now do you have pause to reflect on maybe why you didn't win the Amazing Race?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Sometimes, I mean, as you know, when I came back, I feel that I only lost, Like I only didn't sleep for three days.
Speaker 3: Not winning that only carry out for three.
Speaker 4: Duse, you are so competiti, which is surprising to people, I think because you have a very sunny disposition and you're very open to the world.
Speaker 3: But you've got killering you.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, yes, especially white line fever. As soon as as soon as like a red light goes on or as soon as a whistle is blown. I'm just like, I get the tunnel vision, the tunny vision, the tunny vision.
Speaker 3: I get the tuny vision.
Speaker 6: And that was the whole thing on the Amazing Race for sure, which I describe myself as unattractively competitive. Yeah, and I own that. I love that about it. But ROB describe you.
Speaker 2: Yep, the same, exactly the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was just mind boggling at times, just how ferocious. Like I think the thing that I said before we left, I said, you've not done a whole lot in your life, like work wise, absolutely, like Mammoth a man of achievements, right, but not like travel and like you know, like I've done a lot of yeah, where you get yourself in trouble and you have to work your way out of it.
Speaker 6: Where you think that book smart versus the street smart yes, or BookSmart more street smart yes.
Speaker 1: So I said, there's gonna be things that you haven't done before and it's okay, You're just gonna have to work work for them.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, I'll be fine. I'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Like every challenge, she's like, why am I not amazing at this thing that I've just picked up for the very first time.
Speaker 2: She was so frustrated at herself. I was like, you've just started learning how to do this.
Speaker 1: But it was it was really interesting to watch her competitive brain and then watch her even over but overcome it. The thing that I loved the most was she never gave up once. There are a few moments I think where you had tears in your eyes, You're gonna you're going to go, but you you didn't. You just went no, I'm going to keep going I'm just going to push on and going to get through this challenge.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. I was like blown away by the Rezio.
Speaker 4: It's well, okay, So because the pair of you, this is quite a fascinating thing to have in a union because there's the yin and the yang, but both of you come also fully formed with your own yin and yang that you then have to put together. You both have very high profiles in the country. You're both very accomplished except with directions and yeah, and so people will know you, Georgie through a myriad of ways, probably ABC, the Breakfast Show on ABC, through the Project Now as an author, like very accomplished debut like amazing, amazing, and Millsey if I may, you may okay years through Idle, Yeah, the inaugural Idol two and three, which was the one to be in. I think so, yeah, because those people are still we all know them, whereas some of the others you're like, you know a few, but okay.
Speaker 3: Idle TV hosts also author book about manhood, very revealing book about manhood.
Speaker 2: Thank You, and musical theater and musical theater.
Speaker 4: And I still remember when I saw you in Wicked in the job.
Speaker 3: I was just so astounded. I think there's a tendency.
Speaker 4: I mean everyone has it, I guess, but to underestimate people if you think, you know, we like to we like to say what people's capability. It's a very strange like you always getting comments. I'm not normally a fan of Kate Langer.
Speaker 3: Do you know those things?
Speaker 4: Surprisingly you were so brilliant and so catapulted you then into a lot of productions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I just found myself in like enjoying being part of a team. As a kid who grew up playing footy and cricket and baseball, I was like, oh, I really love being part of a team. Musical theater is like a team of people. In some games, you're you know, you're cast as the center half forward or the for forward and other other roles. It might be a back pocket player, but that's okay. The good thing is every every time that you finish a show or a game you win, people clap at the end.
Speaker 2: It's the best the best job in the world.
Speaker 3: I catched Troy Bolton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're also a star, thank you. The star quality is just one of those things that can't be synthesized.
Speaker 6: I agree, look at him, get uncomfortable and he hates it, but own that you are.
Speaker 3: Like you work in show is made. I don't know if you realize.
Speaker 1: I got a great one on Saturday night. I had a corporate over in Adelaide because you're doing I'm doing Waitress the music at the moment, and then to do a gig over in Adelaide on the weekend and this one we're doing. Meeting great afterwards, and she's like, I was pretty disappointed when I found out it was going to be you on the bill, But then she goes.
Speaker 2: You're very good. You're excellent. You could just say you're excellent the pre bit.
Speaker 4: All right, So because both of you are fully formed, how did you discover I feel like I should know this because we shared.
Speaker 3: The project disc for quite a while. I don't know how.
Speaker 2: You met the origin story.
Speaker 3: I want that origin story. I want it. Do you have the same version of it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: I'm going to say you're not allowed to look at each other in the middle of it, because.
Speaker 3: I can't stop you doing anything. But do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: You know he's cracking the whip, he's cracking the whib Okay, who do you want to start.
Speaker 4: I want to hear from Rob. I want the millsy meeting Tony.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've been I've been seeing. I broke up with my partner maybe a year and a half, two years before. I've been on like tried the Tinder route of dating.
Speaker 3: Yes, what year are we talking?
Speaker 2: Or twenty sixteen? Maybe I can't yeaheah.
Speaker 1: And then I turned on the ABC Breakfast one morning in over summer and I was like, who is the new sports girl? Yes, I've googled it. Who's a new sports girl on ABC Breakfast Georgia. Chinese name pops up?
Speaker 2: That is her.
Speaker 1: And then I quickly went on Instagram. We've got mutual friends, Abby, tell me Matt Douran. I was like, okay, okay, take a breath, center.
Speaker 3: A message, and I just breathless.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Because she's so funny and charming. She loves sport, yes, And every.
Speaker 1: Time that they crossed back to Georgia at the sports desk, she was just like she come up with a different topic or a different story, and it was vivacious, like was throwing.
Speaker 3: A fresh There's something so fresh about you.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful, just the way she was throwing the banter back to the other hosts. I was like, oh, this is very very natural now, not like a newsreader, not like a normal reporter.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, that's charisma. So I center a message saying they had a messy Yeah. I was like in my DMS and like, it must have been eight in the morning. Hi, my name's Rob. I know what it's like to be new in a new city. And it looks like you're new to Melbourne. If you need anyone to show around to get a new to get a coffee or some of the good food places, I'd love to be that person.
Speaker 2: Not a wed.
Speaker 1: I'm not a widow. We have not a widow. We have some mutual friends. Let me know, right, And then she didn't reply.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so where are you in your life at this point?
Speaker 3: So in my life right now.
Speaker 6: Back then, it was like it was twenty eighteen when you messaged me, and I had only recently moved to Melbourne from from Sydney. I've been working in the Sydney newsroom with ABC for about four years, okay, and I was desperate to work on breakfast television. I was like, that's my ultimate dream, that's where I belong that's that's that's the pinnacle, and I was willing to do any any shift to get there. So I moved down with a producer producer role predominantly but like the fill in presenter, and so whenever I wasn't writing the show, I got to be the fill in host.
Speaker 3: And I was sport I was, I was, but Robert was watching.
Speaker 6: One day when I was the sports host, I was. I didn't know too many people in Melbourne because I was relatively you to Melbourne. My best friend lived here. But I was so busy because I was working shift work and I'd never done two am starts. Yes, that's four AM stars, but never two am starts.
Speaker 3: Two am is not even a start, it's just the day never finished.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was. I was. I was struggling with that new routine.
Speaker 6: And then I got a random d M from someone called Rob Mills and Mills on Instagram and I was like.
Speaker 3: Did you know who that was?
Speaker 6: I did, Yeah, yeah, you're very cross, very cross. Yeah yeah, very a cross. And also because when he hates me talking, I did vote for Guy, but the OG well a lot.
Speaker 3: Of people voted.
Speaker 2: Yeah he won obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was in a lot more.
Speaker 2: That's how burning works.
Speaker 3: He was quite popular. He was quite popular.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but I so because when that when the o g Idle was, I was like peak fangirl tween age, like I was eating Zone. I was because so I was like there watching it was it became obsessed with it. It was my first, like four a into into reality TV, and I think it was a lot of people. So, yes, I knew who Robert was. He was one of my favorites. I loved when he sang Maroune five harder to breathe. It's like I remember those things. I remember the two are you singing with Courtney Acts kids? And then I knew that he'd gone into musicals and I had seen him in Greece. I never saw him in Wicked, but I've seen him in Greece, and I think legally blonde.
Speaker 3: But other than that, that was That was it. That's quite a lot.
Speaker 5: Okay, everything about you here, So you get the message.
Speaker 3: I get that you think, where are you in your personal life? Personal life? Single? Single? Yeah, how long? I would say, oh forever?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Ever, I would say yeah, not by not by choice, just by uselessness.
Speaker 3: And also moving moving around.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and yeah, yeah, just the unattractive, unattractive competityt that.
Speaker 3: Got the way.
Speaker 6: I was horrific on the dating apps, like so bad. I played it. Actually I played it like a game, so it was kind of just like like it was like a pokem machine.
Speaker 3: In the end, I would just be like like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so and and I I so I wasn't actively dating. I didn't have time in my mind to actively date anyway. And I was just trying to still take over the breakfast breakfast, yeah, take over.
Speaker 3: You are unapologetically ambitious, which is very refreshing. I think it's I've only I've only started being maybe.
Speaker 6: Oh I have always been, but maybe I've only started being like about it maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also, the characters in your book are yes, yeah, And I think that's led me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because as soon as I started writing them and I found that I actually really liked those traits in them, and I thought I admired that, And I was like, oh, why do I judge myself so harshly for having that kind of ambition?
Speaker 3: And I wrote a whole book about that.
Speaker 4: Because there are also three women who work in the media and who want to work even more in the media and who were just like but also navigating a friendship in your life. How has that worked out with compatriots that you sort of come through with, particularly if you like start more behind the scenes you said you started producing or whatever. It's often an innate tension in a relationship when you might both want to be front facing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, it's hard. And I didn't have some friendships like that. I would say I'm probably a rareer case. Maybe I didn't have a lot of them, but I had some, and then those friendships did just fall away because.
Speaker 3: We couldn't talk about it, and honestly, and.
Speaker 6: For a lot of them, I remember that was some of the biggest, some of the most intense heartbreak I've had in my life is three friendship breakups like that, and you just it just it actually it just wounds you, like it just it feels physical.
Speaker 4: I spoke to Georgia Love on No Filter and she said exactly the same thing, as she'd been through a marriage breakup at that time, but she said what absolutely destroyed her was the loss of her best female friend. Yeah, yeah, it's it really hers and it's just it's a different type of love, but it doesn't mean it's not as strong as the love that I would feel for Robert.
Speaker 3: It's just in a different, a different way.
Speaker 4: But somehow Robert knew watching the screen that this was his time to strong.
Speaker 6: I thought, Hello, that kind of crazy, kooky, ambitious.
Speaker 4: Who's lost friends through her blind ambition.
Speaker 1: So I don't know any so I don't know any of this about like any of her inner workings. I just thought she was like playing it cool by not messaging me. I had a boyfriend, Yeah, she must be seeing other people. So we didn't actually meet up until maybe three months later later.
Speaker 4: Oh and how through did you DM?
Speaker 1: But I messaged like every couple of weeks. It's like just seeing if you if you're you know, you still want to.
Speaker 2: Have to catch up.
Speaker 4: She was replying back, but are lucky you're used to having to do a lot of auditions exactly.
Speaker 2: I love it that you can. I'm used to.
Speaker 1: But I was like, she says, she's keen. You know, I don't think I'm in the I don't think she's that into you. Whatever it is that is that into you. But I was like, all right, I'm just going to keep trying. You know what, if you like Harry Potter. I'm in this play called Puffs. It's like a Harry Potter's spin off. I'll leave two tickets for you for opening it, Harry Potter. She absolutely loves Harry and I played Cedric in the first act and Voldemort in the second act.
Speaker 2: And it's very silly, very stupid.
Speaker 1: And we met up that night after the show for a tour backstage.
Speaker 3: Where did you bring?
Speaker 6: I brought my best ea, Holly, and I remember when Robert had initially messaged me like, I have my two best girlfriends who I've dedicated the book to, holand is Well, they were obviously the first ones that I told, and then also jell Me because roberts like, we've got mutual friends.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, we had, we had one. I swear I'm not crazy one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I remember Jellmy was like, well no, because like he seemed with a.
Speaker 3: Nice message in back messaging back.
Speaker 6: And then when you slid into my d MS again, I was actually on a I think I was on a girls trip in Port Douglas and you'd replied to a story of us doing a boomerang with Apparol Spritzer's yeah, and you and he just goes, what's your email. Oh, it's like, what's your email? And then and then was like, I'm in this new play. And my girlfriend Holly was with me, and she just goes, well, what's the play? And I was like, oh, this Harry Pottery.
Speaker 3: Where we're going? Where we're going? Okay? And so I took you.
Speaker 6: I took hole and we'd had seven champagnes without dinner by interval, so I was nervous.
Speaker 3: And then we hung around.
Speaker 6: I was working at two am the next morning, right and champagne for that alarm, and I wanted to go. I was about to go, like like the show finished, and I was like, well, I've got to go.
Speaker 3: I've got to go.
Speaker 6: And Holly was like, you cannot believe without saying hi. And I was like, oh, yeah, you're so right, You're so right. And then we've been together ever seen.
Speaker 3: And how was it? How was the face to face? And what did you watch?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: You you reflect on what you did.
Speaker 6: But I remember as soon as he walked in the room, because I was like a deer waiting to see he was.
Speaker 3: I was like looking at anyone who was coming in.
Speaker 2: He couldn't miss me. I was wearing a bright yellow jacket and he.
Speaker 3: Was wearing a bright yellow jacket.
Speaker 6: Well you worry, did not miss your yellow. I was like, of course, of course there he is. Of course they're he is. And I just remember he made a bee line to me. It was like this huge room opening night, all of this, and he just walked like straight to me and was just.
Speaker 3: Like, Hi, it's nice to meet you.
Speaker 6: It was very charming, though it obviously worked, and I remember Holly doing like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we had a I took it for a backstage tour, which Holly wanted to come to.
Speaker 3: Come did you blow Holly on?
Speaker 6: Well? She was like she was, she new to step aside in the she was. She was because you went, you went, Do you want a backstage She was like yeah. And we start walking home, It's like, oh my god, got up and she was like not me, I'll.
Speaker 1: Be here and then and and I thought that, you know, Georgia had a futuring, so she's a bit of a party girl. And then I realized soon after we when I'd come around, i'd bring a bottle of wine after work because she was working very early mornings. I was working late nights, so I'd bring a bottle of wine over and maybe like half half a glass each. And then I realized next time I went there that bottle had not touch been touched. Oh, she doesn't really drink. So basically all of our courting was so be dating. I pick her up from work at ten in the morning and we just walk around the botanical gardens all the streets of Melbourne and it was just coffee dates. So that to anyone listening, I can highly recommend coffee dates because you're just you. There's no alcohol or anything that's, you know, getting in the way of you just being your true self. Yes, And I think that's why I loved Georgia was just so comfortable being herself. There was no pretense, there's no like pretending to be anyone. I was like, oh, she's just a really lovely net It's like, oh, how lovely. And I was like, that's a really lovely thing to be just yourself.
Speaker 3: Who advanced it or did it? Yeah? Right, Okay, Because when.
Speaker 6: We first started zero game, I've got absolutely really insane, absolutely no game. But when we first started, when we first started dating, Robert was going away on a Europe trip and he was going away for like six weeks and this had been planned well before he'd seen me on TV or you know, and he was going with his friends and forward to it, and I always knew, but when I always knew that was coming up, And to be fair, I had always thought, like with my girlfriends were asking me or how's it going with with with Robert, Like I would just be, well, we're going to have a conversation after he comes back from Europe, like we won't, we won't talk about We're just like, you'll go to Europe back and then we can see if we're still feeling the same things. But then Robert blew that, blew that up because we went to an event and it was the first thing that we were at together publicly, and he was like, how should I introduce you to everyone? Because I'd want to introduce you as like my my girlfriend or my partner, and you said unattractive, your unattractively competitive girlfriend and partner. Yes, yeah, yeah, And so it was. And then I was like, oh, okay, so we're like you'd.
Speaker 2: Already said it.
Speaker 1: You said to me, I've already I've already just been saying that you're my partner.
Speaker 6: It was actually true someone was like, who are you here for us? Like, oh, my partner's singing, and I was it. I mean Robert is singing. Yeah, yeah, but I hadn't talked to you about it. Yeah, but then you but yeah, then you asked because you've.
Speaker 3: Had you have you have such an ease between you as a unit, let's let's love, don't you think? I do think.
Speaker 6: I actually do think, because I think that that's what lots of people like. We'll go into stores. When we were looking to buy a new couch years ago, and we were just trying and sitting on all of us random different sofas, all of this doing all of our tests, our stupid tests that they needed to pass for us to buy this couch.
Speaker 3: A tiny vision.
Speaker 6: It was just like, that's what I need. And the sales assistant said, you guys are like you guys are great together. You've got this such and such such.
Speaker 3: Energy between you. Do you remember that.
Speaker 6: I always remembered that, and I thought, they like, oh, this is not how other people just act.
Speaker 3: And he was like no, I was like, oh no, they see it. I think they must see a lot in retail. You see, yes, we say a lot.
Speaker 1: I think the best feedback we got from the Amazing race was thank you for it. I think it was on the we finished the race the last night, We're having drinks with all the producers and stuff, and I think the EP said to us, thank you for showcasing what it is to be a lovely couple, like for showcasing good communication skills and yeah, just being.
Speaker 2: A lovely pairing.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's that's really that's really good feedback because they would see a lot, right. Yeah, And the feedback that we've got from people on the street is the same, like, oh, you guys, just the way you talk, the way you champion each other, the way you cheerlead each other is quite lovely. I think that's and is that part of like just being in a good relationship.
Speaker 4: After this short break, Georgie and Milsey shared the details of the early days at They're romance. Sometimes when people get intimate in whatever form that takes, very early in a relationship, it clouds what It clouds what you see of each other because you're saying it through the prism of you know, funk and desire and you know whereas coffee dates and walking is a very wholesome way to get.
Speaker 3: To know each other. And I think I will say that I.
Speaker 6: Being with Robert, I think, especially in the early days, you were the only person I've ever been with where I have been truly wholey myself. And I wasn't worried about trying to be something else. It probably was in all honestly, it probably was. I was like living in a state of jet lag. And I think because he was just so overtly eager. I'd never been changed like that before.
Speaker 3: I'd never been.
Speaker 6: Changed like that before, and so I knew that he liked me. I wasn't there being like iproved of you, Yeah, what are.
Speaker 3: We doing here?
Speaker 6: Because I was always that person that was kind of just like, oh, that is this a thing?
Speaker 3: Is it not a thing?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What should I be? For them to like me? I like them, so what do they like? Should I be this? Should I be that?
Speaker 6: Whereas because of that, it was kind of just I was just like, oh, okay, well this is me, and then you just you just kept liking it.
Speaker 3: So it was good.
Speaker 2: But well, I think it was over summer. She's like, do you know what I'd love to do this weekend? Babe? I said, what She's like, I just want to sit at home watch the cricket. I was like, oh my god, that is the hottest thing.
Speaker 4: And because of your sport, and because you have a sporting background, what were you?
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for saying the one way.
Speaker 6: I was an avid and avid sports participant with a very, shall we say, insurmountable lack of skill for a lot of things. Became enthusiastic, enthusiastic swimmer, enthusiastic water polo play, so things without gravity, not great on ground, not grey on dry land.
Speaker 3: But you put me in a body of water, I can't can glide? I can glide? And how far did that take it? I got?
Speaker 6: So I played water polo all up until UNI, early early UNI, I was playing I was playing water polo swimming. I swam all throughout, all throughout high schools. I think I got to regionals or something. I wasn't amazing, but I was just happy to be happy to be included, happy to be about it. And then I also played netball, which is essentially like water polo, but on land, slightly slightly less, only a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 4: At that point in your life, were you looking for anything other than say, the fulfillment of work.
Speaker 3: You were just saying what happens. I was kind of seeing what happens.
Speaker 6: I think me two years prior to meeting Robert, I wanted the other bit. Yeah, I wanted I definitely wanted the fulfillment out of out of work.
Speaker 3: But where ironically the time of my life. And I always like, because people like it's gonna happen, You're gonna meet them when you least expect that.
Speaker 6: And my other versit of Isabel used to say to me, I was like, just where is he?
Speaker 3: Where is this Prince Charming?
Speaker 6: And She's like, well, where do you think He's not in your bedroom on a Saturday.
Speaker 3: He's not going to find you in there.
Speaker 6: And so I remember being like when it was it was like, oh that old adage of yeah, when you least expected. Because it was probably the first time in my life that I wasn't bothered. Yeah, I wasn't bothered by being single. I wasn't bothered by not having a significant other in my life.
Speaker 4: Also, because you come to you come to the world with kind of an air of innocence, which is well, you know, that can lead to one of two things. Either someone's going to go oh, I want to take destroy bend to break this innocence or I'm going to rise to meet this innocence. And Rob, you had quite a checkered history in terms of the fact that you had been alive.
Speaker 2: Longer than yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally yeah, but also that you your introduction to showbies and whatever and to people was at such a level that.
Speaker 3: All the riches yeah offered to.
Speaker 1: Had downs and then work my way back into like some sort of equilibrium of sense of self and self worth and all that sort of stuff. And I think seeing Tounny and getting to know her and realizing she also has a very similar kind of outlook. Is not in the job for the fame. The fame is the byproduct of doing the thing that you love. And it's very hard to meet someone these days because everyone wants.
Speaker 3: To be everyone. They want to be not necessarily to do the work.
Speaker 1: They want to be seen, they want to be like everyone wants to be a product, and I'm like, what's the work?
Speaker 2: What is the product? Like, what is the.
Speaker 1: Actual work that you're doing? And George and I talked about that very early on in our relationship. I think new idea of new weekly one someone had reached out to us, and I said, do you want like, if we say yes to this, that's that's a different path to our relationship, Like that means we're that kind of celebrity couple.
Speaker 2: And I remember she went not really.
Speaker 1: Like how how great I think we've done because three interviews you're thinking is.
Speaker 3: That you can run it. You can run your relationship how you want.
Speaker 2: Exactly correct?
Speaker 3: And when did you?
Speaker 4: And I know that you would have had this conversation because you're such a pop culture girl and this has been a big bug bear in your life that I think you've got over the herd. When did you have the Paris hill On conversation?
Speaker 6: It was pretty early, but even then I don't even know if it was a full conversation. It was just something like, in all honesty, as my biggest hang ups, and it's always been my biggest insecurities in terms of Robert's dating history.
Speaker 3: It's had nothing to do with her.
Speaker 4: It's no, no, of course, but I mean that's the I mean that that captured so much attention.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know. I don't even remember. Do you remember it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Not really? I think it was just.
Speaker 4: No because you talk about it very early early you talk about it in your book, but of course you hadn't written your book then.
Speaker 1: No, So I wrote about in the book just to be like, okay, let's put a full stop on this, please, can we please just put a full stop on this.
Speaker 3: Well, you tried to put a full stop on it.
Speaker 4: Fall but also it's amazing soul and it's amazing, And.
Speaker 3: That's my whole take of it coming from that was me. I was just like what I was.
Speaker 6: I was always said to Robert, and I don't know, maybe this was you liked this about me too, but it's like I honestly couldn't. I just could not have cared about it anyway. I just thought it was why I was like, wow, yeah, what a moment. But because he'd held such like it had been such a negative for him in how people had reacted to it, then that made me upset about it because I was just upset for him. But in terms of an actual moment of you, but you know, having a thing with Paris Hilton, I'm like, how how cool like that? No One, especially at that time, it's it's it's it's a moment.
Speaker 3: Memorable, memorable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's memorable, and I understand that. I understand the frustration of you having had just this fleeting moment that overshadows what you are trying to do, because, like you said, you're focused on the work and improving as an artist, improve as a person as a person. Yes, and particularly that much to be pivotal. Actually the fallout from that to the start of the self improvement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like nothing.
Speaker 1: I saw this thing the other day talking about what drives people. Some people it's an ego thing. Some people need to be seen. For me, it's spiked, and I was like, I saw this thing. I was like, Oh, it's a really good driver wanting to prove people wrong. I don't have a Also, I have a fear of can I say fucking up?
Speaker 2: I have a fear of I have a fear of sucking up.
Speaker 1: So what I'll do in order to improve my life I put myself in situations where I have to improve because I don't want to be seen to be bad. So like auditioning for musicals, you don't want to be you don't to fuck up the audition, So you do all the preparations so you'll make sure that you're good in the room and then you get the job and they're like, all right, now I can't fuck up the show, so I do all the work to but I'm not. It's not the ego that drives me to be seen. It's the like you almost like spite, almost like telling yourself that you your.
Speaker 2: Brain selling you can't do it. So you're like, well I can do it.
Speaker 3: So is it internal?
Speaker 2: It's both for me, it's external. For me, it's both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's stronger?
Speaker 2: It's about fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: When I saw you in Waitress, which is such a phenomenal performance, thank you, I okay, now that you put it in that context. I could see how much work you had done. When I was watching the show, I wasn't like, oh, this looks like hard work. I'm like, this is magical. You're so physical, Thank you and vocal thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I spent like two months with a vocal coach beforehand because I've been singing like bon Jovi rock and roll stuff for like the last two years.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is versatile in the voice.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is a very different style of singing. I need to do the work before we get to rehearsal. So yeah, it's very different singing. So yeah, did all the work and worked closely with the director, the resident director or just on the physicality of it all. And yeah, I think it's probably my best role, even though it's like one of the smaller roles. But I just love it. I just love him. He's he's a bit more me, I think as well. My inner nerd is coming out.
Speaker 4: I think, well, it's also a dirty dog.
Speaker 3: He's cheating on he's a bit more me. How comforting?
Speaker 6: Bring her in.
Speaker 4: Because you are going to be the one or this is the plan.
Speaker 3: This is the plan, but this.
Speaker 1: Is what's happened.
Speaker 2: Why I want to take you, take you to do the wedding.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I was pregnant by the time we got married, but not when he proposed, like it wasn't even though Hugh.
Speaker 2: He lights.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: He also likes to see and married my stalker. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, me too. And my take on that is at least you know they love you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: I'm going to of a you know, a decent man in all honesty, and you would know this thing, Brooke. We're both such terrible planners. Our schedules are insane, and everyone's just like, you're never too busy to get like social budias, and it was just like, oh, would you just get married already? You're never too busy. If you really loved each other, I'd just like, do you.
Speaker 2: Know what you want?
Speaker 4: Because you said to me we talked about Italy and you said, do you know any like sort of simple price?
Speaker 3: That was like three years so that's been trying to like now then we want three years ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We were sitting at the project and I'm like, okay, so I go, yeah, got them?
Speaker 3: And who will make it happen? Our friends? Yeah, okay, all right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think we'll just turn up to someone's dinner one night and they're like, we've actually organized a wedding for you.
Speaker 2: There'll be a celebrate.
Speaker 1: There as we love that someone will do a surprise wedding for it.
Speaker 3: As long as you joined a lope.
Speaker 6: Well, that's probably one of our top things right now, is just having a small, tiny elopement and then a big thing, but then a big selling.
Speaker 4: Loopers always because lopers always say this, a loape has always got and then we're going to have a big party and they never have the party.
Speaker 2: Do you want the party?
Speaker 3: I want the party. Why wouldn't you want the party?
Speaker 2: Because you know what it is.
Speaker 1: I think in our jobs it's about us a lot of the time, and for some reason both of us do not like it to be about it.
Speaker 3: It's different when it's about you two together.
Speaker 6: That's I actually think that if it was a pair of us, I would it is.
Speaker 2: A pair of us.
Speaker 6: I think that that is actually lang Brooks right, like I could get and I will get around that. More so in terms of if us being celebrated as a couple.
Speaker 3: Because you're making something new.
Speaker 6: Yes, far is far more comforting exciting to me than just if we were just celebrating like me, I'd celebrate you to the house came.
Speaker 3: Up, but me, oh my god, I don't know. I don't want that.
Speaker 2: I made bookmarks.
Speaker 4: I'm celebrating, correct, But you don't need to do your wedding where you do. Are reading from the book and then he sings the song.
Speaker 3: He brings his book.
Speaker 4: What song would you sing? By the way, you would have to serenade your wife.
Speaker 1: There's a song that I love, but my friend Ben Abraham wrote It's called If I Didn't Love You that's probably on the list, but I don't think I would sing it.
Speaker 2: I'd try and get him to come and sing it.
Speaker 6: And then i'd be ugly crying in a corner. So that'd be fun. Oh, actually, you'd be crying more than me.
Speaker 3: I know. Well, this is.
Speaker 4: In the time that I've known of you and then known you. He's a big cry, big crier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I think it is?
Speaker 1: I think when you're a kid, you cry, You cry a lot, but you cry when things are emotional. You cry when you're hurt. For some reason, as blokes, we stop that. We get told to not cry. We get told to you know, tied up a lip and we were told.
Speaker 4: It's just you get told not to or do you think there's also something societal pressure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you end up so grow growing up's not the right word. You realize when to cry. I suppose to internalize.
Speaker 1: You have to internalize, and there are moments, but for some people they realize that they internalize it all all the time. You still got to find that safe space, whether it's with a friend or your partner, to let that out. I think for a lot of blokes, I don't want to burden other people with that emotion or those tears. They feel like they're not the strong one for their partner, But what they're doing is actually letting their partner in, to letting them know how they feel. And I think with Tonny and I I'm very good. I think we're quite good at knowing when the other person needs. I mean, we've got tattoos of sea saws like about when the other person is struggling or failing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, I always got with the airport.
Speaker 4: Remember when you had just come back from a trip together and I bumped into Rob at the airport. You went there, and he showed me the tattoo and it's a little read saw.
Speaker 2: Tony's got one on the right arm. I've got one on my left.
Speaker 3: And he was telling me the story. And guess what happened. When he was telling me the story, he'd start crying.
Speaker 4: You're not the only person at a luggage carousel ever to start Yeah, correct, Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 6: He's the sweetest and like all, he's my biggest cheerleader, which is the greatest thing. And I would love to say that I'm his too, but it's it's he is a super emotional person.
Speaker 3: But I also like that because he lets me be emotional.
Speaker 6: And lots of people would say, I mean, as you know, I'm a crier to yes, but it's taken me a while to be okay, to be comfortable with that. Like the first half of my career. Yeah, the first half of my career I actively tried not to be a crier, be emotional.
Speaker 3: In what context, like in the context of work or.
Speaker 6: Context of work. Oh, actually probably also even even in life. Yeah, probably even in life, I was just like, oh no, I deal with that later. I don't have time. Don't have time for that. But in terms of work, I just never wanted the story to be about me. So if i'm you know, as you would know, it's like you're sitting across from people who are very hard, like the worst moment of their life or it could be the best moment of their life, and it's like, I don't want my reaction then to be the story rather than what their story is. But the project helped me actually see that how if I if I did have that connection with someone, just to let it be authentic and to let it breathe, and then that actually resonated so much more with viewers or an audience and with the person themselves to them to let the story actually speak. And I was like, okay, I've been doing this. I've been doing this thing the whole time with a hand tied around my back. As soon as I released that, then I was able to, I think, do some of my best work.
Speaker 1: And that's how we that's how we connect as people as well, through our vulnerability and through our heart.
Speaker 2: You leave that heart open, That's that's where you have the best conversation.
Speaker 6: You're on the desk, You're very very good at it. Your heart's always open, and I don't think, I don't think, and I don't know if people always know that about you, but you're so warm and so lovely and then just then just hit them with like the most perfect phrasing of something. I remember you did an interview, but do you remember talking to doctor Professor sculliasus scholar Richard Scullia and you were talking to him and you said you I think you quoted it was I'm not sure if it was a proverb or something, but you quote it. Maybe it was the proverb according to Kate, and you quoted how it was like you were going to be you won't see the trees.
Speaker 4: A wise man plants the tree under which he will never sit.
Speaker 6: And I remember you said that to him, and you were having this beautiful moment. I sat next to it and I was like, I was Robert at the carousel. Just construe it. Like tears streaming down my face and they came back to me and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, anyway, coming up next, Mills explains why he's seek of the Paris Hilton conversation. Your field work, by the way, you've just reminded me, is while I'm gassing, you are and we're all gas.
Speaker 3: But why not?
Speaker 4: Is extraordinary you in the floods And I didn't know this side of you. I, unlike Rob, had not been watching you avidly.
Speaker 3: It was an absence of you, my dear.
Speaker 4: But yes, that's ruh, but quite amazing. And so you're the breadth of your talent? Is I think you haven't even really begun to scratch it.
Speaker 3: I hope not. I hope, I hope. I hope this is just a start. And it's a very modern like because we know that you know, things are contracting and other things are expanding, but they don't generally seem to require humans, but.
Speaker 1: Its humans to tell stories, yes always, and ask ask the good question, ask the right questions, because that's how we how we connect with others through that, through our eyes. And Georgie is the best. Look at these eyes, like you just want to tell her everything. This is such a kindness in them, beautiful.
Speaker 6: Oh no, but that's actually again, that's something that in all, in all honesty, you taught me lanme Brook, which was to be authentic and to not see that to see that as a superpower.
Speaker 3: I think you already had that, Nah, but I didn't.
Speaker 6: But I didn't believe it in a way that I thought it would be like a weapon in a good way.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't fully fully believe that myself.
Speaker 4: It is interesting and both of you. This is kind of the team play that when you step into yourself, the world rises to meet you. Many things that you were scared of or that you thought were going to happen, or or you know that you'd be canceled or not enough or judged, actually doesn't happen. Because I think people are so happy to see people, even with their flaws and their attendant worries that that is, like you said, where the connection.
Speaker 2: Happens, but the human side of it.
Speaker 3: But you, I'm going to say, have taken that too far? I take it? Yes, yes, mate, yes, mate.
Speaker 4: Your book which is incredible and at the time I think I interviewed you briefly on the radio when you did putting on a show, the book about Manhood and mental health, right, very very good book. Researched you were together when he wrote that, and you started writing it in lockdown, I think, but mate, you are You're the person who told us in the book and in life that you had the Paris Hilton thing, you were sick of it being brought up you or whatever. Right, fair enough, I'm like, I get that. I'm going to read you something from your own book and you're going to explain to me how you reconcile that with Okay, I had to take a screenshot it.
Speaker 3: You know what it's going to be, don't you? You know it's going to be. How can you not know?
Speaker 4: One night early on in the show, doesn't matter what show, a whole bunch of us went to a gay club in Sydney, a dance party venue. Three of us ended up at Courtney's place. This is Courtney act extraordinary performance. Courtney, me and a woman I'll call her Sam, and we had a bit of an orgy. Courtney and Sam had sex. Okay, we get it, mate, Sam and I had sex. Courtney and I had sex. There was a lot going on. Can I okay explain? Because this you obviously were like, oh yeah, yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 6: But my favorite thing with that was because then when press came out about the book and a lot of the interviews, they used that quote to talk about that. No, no, no, it was just on the headline was a bit of an orgy and can you believe they've used And I was like, yes, I can.
Speaker 3: I was like, you wrote it, of course they're going to use it.
Speaker 4: But also.
Speaker 1: Was shot had you ask yea? But also Cotney said, why three people's not an orgy? If you want an orgy, we can do it.
Speaker 4: I made what was your thinking when you wrote that book? And things coming? People came out of lockdown, even in the middle of lockdown, do you know what I mean? They showed themselves in unusual way.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 1: I was like, I I think for a lot of men out there, I wanted to talk about sexuality through which and it was like, well, the best way I can do that is show the things that I've done and the things that I've learned through trying stuff out. And when you're a kid, you get told if you're you know, try try baseball, try cricket, try footy, try soccer.
Speaker 2: Try all these things.
Speaker 1: But sexuality is never really talked about, Like it's never talked about who you should be with.
Speaker 2: Or how you should do it.
Speaker 1: So I was like, I'm just going to talk about it and then maybe someone goes, yeah, maybe I will try that, like and just try and break down the taboo or the stigma around it. That's the That's the reason I talked about it, not to offload something off my chair like this, not to brag. No, yeah, well I was like, God is amazing. But it was more like why is this such a taboo topic? And what other men maybe a feeling that as well, Like they want to explore different things and they should be like why are we say conservative in Australia anyway, That's that's kind of why I feel.
Speaker 6: As well though, because you were writing it during lockdown and you had you know, you'd had some losses at that time, like a couple of people close you had to, right, and I think that that had put things into perspective. We had also not thrived did anyone during like the COVID lockdown.
Speaker 3: So I get very mutense for the pair of you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think that potentially there was part of you that was just like, I'm I'm done with like, I just want to say what I want to say and I don't censor it all or anything. I don't know if it was even conscious at the time, but you were just like, well, this is this is where it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that maybe there was a yearning for freedom because physical freedom was denied, particularly in Victoria. Definitely there's a part of you that is like, when I am afforded the opportunity of freedom in the future, I am always going to take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and be my fully freed self and talk about all the stuff all the time, I think, I think, which I think is.
Speaker 2: So important for everybody.
Speaker 1: Unusual, unusual for young for young men, I think older older men even still, but even in.
Speaker 4: The context of the fact that it's not just one on one, but that it's going to be seen as you, yeah, and then it's going to be a headline.
Speaker 2: I was fine with it. I was like, are you who who cares? Like, honestly, who cares about my life? And who I sleep with? I think about the.
Speaker 3: Someone might care, somebody may care.
Speaker 1: A lot of stuff has happened before, Georgie. But of course we always I remember when very very early on we're talking about, you know, I will go into a bar or like an opening night or someone.
Speaker 2: I've also been with that and she's like, how many.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, all of these relationships that I've had before you have led me to you. I'm the person I am because it's in a Tailor Swift song.
Speaker 3: I share your time.
Speaker 4: Because it's also I mean, I don't necessarily think that you need a head count to have experience whatever, but it is an interesting thing when you're in a relationship with someone where they've got like a lot of history.
Speaker 6: And but see, that was a far bigger conversation for us than than Paris Hilton, Like, yeah, of course, honestly, that wasn't even really a full chat. It was it was more so me putting my insecurities to the side because it was threatening the best thing that could ever happened to me in life, which was him.
Speaker 3: I was for your insecurities, like I won't be enough for this is yet.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah. And also I mean definite jealousy as well. I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I am, yes, And so I think that that was That's just part of it as well at a base level. And then yeah, just feeling feeling just not I probably at that time just insecure and what the relationship was.
Speaker 3: But I was getting in the way.
Speaker 6: And then it was like we had a conversation and it purely just came down to you, I have to let this go or I have to let him go, and I refuse to.
Speaker 3: Let him go. It got to that point to me, yes.
Speaker 6: For me, just just just to work it through my brain because I couldn't. I needed no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: I remember, I remember the chat.
Speaker 6: Remember, It's more like I had to give my own self that that heard of an ultimatum because it was the only way that I could fully be like that's it now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, oh, it's so clear, it's clarity. It gave me the case.
Speaker 2: I remember just saying I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it, Like that's whatever I've been with this is I'm now with you.
Speaker 2: Because that's that's the most important thing.
Speaker 3: Who which one of you would you say is the most loyal, oh, Georgie, Me, that's interesting. I think you're loyal too, but I think I'm.
Speaker 4: Yeah when I staged five cler Yeah, And which one of you is the more honest?
Speaker 1: Me? Yeah? Wow, definitely brutally At times She's like today, I just need love and light.
Speaker 2: No, no, honesty.
Speaker 3: Of honesty is he's dishing up? What are you dishing up? He gives constructive criticism to me this morning.
Speaker 4: I don't like it, and you know what it was, and this is still stuck with me. I made him breakfast delicious, Yeah, I made He loves a gift of love cooking, you know, and he's happy to receive. And he said to me, and he was cautious when he said it, but he said, if I can just this is not a criticism, but maybe I'm ready. I'm ready to I'm trying to get ready on whatever. He goes, this is not a criticism. But and then he uses his tone. I've never really heard him. I didn't even know he.
Speaker 3: Had a this octave.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: He goes maybe a little heavy handed with the salt.
Speaker 6: But I kind of and I did put an entire shaker in there? Or was he correct? Was just and that was something neutral? That's actually neutral. You know, I don't think he was wrong. But what sort of truths are you dishing up? What are your constructive criticisms of this beauty?
Speaker 3: Yes? Right, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Did say before the book launch, I was like, yeah, he looks something, but.
Speaker 6: It could use little Oh yeah, before booklatch, All right, are you going?
Speaker 2: Are you leaving?
Speaker 5: Like that?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: But we had we had, we had time. It wasn't like we're walking out the door.
Speaker 1: It was like, because you get one go at your first book launch, do you did a little and Jemmy was there and Jemmy like she fixed it?
Speaker 2: Was I right, though, Well.
Speaker 6: You were right, but you know, you just have you could say you could, you know, bury it underneath all of the compliments in the world.
Speaker 2: You looked amazing, I know.
Speaker 3: But except for yeah, it was it wasn't bad.
Speaker 2: It was just like I was just just trying to give.
Speaker 3: Them because it takes notes so often in his in his career, and a lot of yeah you get given he likes.
Speaker 6: This isn't actually a note giving situation. This is just to sit there. We're not fixing today. No, always try and fix. We're not fixing, We're just.
Speaker 4: The perfection is in the imperfection, which I'm learning.
Speaker 2: I'm still listening.
Speaker 4: Don't learn that on stage though, on stage the perfect the imperfection is not the perfection.
Speaker 1: But I do like a in a musical where it's it is slightly different every night, but you'll get you know, someone reads a line of a different way and you have to react a different way.
Speaker 2: I do like that. I mean it's very similar, but like, but.
Speaker 4: That's letting the breath in. Yes, that's not someone correcting someone on stage.
Speaker 2: That's not right. Can you imagine? Sorry, guys, that's not right? Can you do that?
Speaker 3: What has been.
Speaker 4: The most brutal lesson that you've learned on stage or in that aspect of your life performance wise?
Speaker 2: Just just I think, just how.
Speaker 1: You have to be. You have to be in lockdown every night. It's eight shows a week. There is I think it was the discipline that I needed to learn when I first started doing Wicked. I think that's the best lesson I learned. I was a bit of a party boy, but loved Wicked so much that I you know, spend all this time with actings and seeing lessons, dance lessons, and then when I got into the eight shows a week, I was like, oh, this is very hard to maintain your your diet, your physicality, your mindset to be on. Like you can't just like phone it in. There's no you can't phone it in a show because of someone's first time in the audience. But it's also your reputation is everything.
Speaker 4: So did you pick that up very early yourself, or did someone just from.
Speaker 1: Being around like incredible women like Maggie Kirkpatrick, Lucy Jirak, Amanda Harrison, Jemma Rix, my friend Rodney Dobson who's done a bunch of musicals and working with Rob get very early on just how professional he was every night. Yeah, that was the best, the biggest lesson for me. It was like and then I realized, oh, I really love this. I really love the discipline of it. I really love the learning of it as well.
Speaker 3: And you needed that discipline too, you'd been looking for it.
Speaker 1: Correct didn't know I was pushing the boundaries trying to find You know that you're trying to find the edges or you push over like your your kids.
Speaker 2: Always do it like trying to find out where the boundaries are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that for me, I was like, oh, this is it and it's actually really well structured. There's something about the control of a musical though it's all within its boundaries.
Speaker 2: I think that I like. I like that it's yes, safe, yes.
Speaker 3: And everyone kind of knows how that will.
Speaker 1: And everyone stays in their lane. Everyone does their bit to make the thing work. It's like the cogs and a big machine.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: And what about you, Georgie.
Speaker 6: I think one probably the most brutal for me, who's a people pleaser and a people pleaser from the womb, was just that not everyone's going to like you, and I still struggle with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's horrible. It's awful. It's awful.
Speaker 6: And I don't mean just like an audience or a share for a listener, but even just people maybe in the office, but like your bosses, the people, all the opportunities they might just not like you or they've got someone else or all of that, and to not take things personally A lot of the time when that happens, I take everything personally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I take a lot. I've got have I got better?
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely heaps. Have I got better?
Speaker 3: I've got better.
Speaker 2: That's what I love about you and about us. We Yeah, we grow, No, we grow, we grow together.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think I think I've got I've got better at it.
Speaker 6: But early on when it comes to yeah, criticism, even Roberts constructive criticism, I'll take it so personally right, And I remember a lots of people being like, there's so many different factors. And the more that I was working, and the more that I could see behind the scenes, and the more people that I met, and the more you know, who I would consider to be some of the greatest broadcasters and you know that has similar experiences all of this, I was like, oh, okay, maybe maybe it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Just me, but it is.
Speaker 6: It is it's difficult to reconcile and accept that there are people out there no matter what you could do, you could be perfect, and they still won't like you could be perfect or a perfect thanks language.
Speaker 2: I had to point that out.
Speaker 4: When I am perfect, when you still hate me, when you execute those notes, you will be.
Speaker 3: And you know in the book as well.
Speaker 4: In your book, you talk about a couple of times about having children. Have you talked to her about that and every day to you, are you ready? I think, I'm Yeah, you're pretty lucky.
Speaker 6: I think this is the first time in my life that way. I wouldn't call myself clucky. I don't know if I could be a clucky person.
Speaker 4: No, I wasn't a clucky person until I had until I had held one in my arm.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know if I could be a clucky person. But I think we're both now where most level at the moment, and I think we've ever been in our relationship about timing to have to have a kid, which is exciting, which.
Speaker 3: Is great for me, which is exciting, which is exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am waiting first.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter matter, honestly, doesn't matter whatever comes first. But I I yeah, I just think that I had a I had a realization over.
Speaker 3: He's going to cry, You're going to if I don't look at you hearing.
Speaker 6: But I had a realization over New Years with one of my good girlfriends, and it was I No, I thought, I it was this aha moment to quote the Great Oprah, where I just thought I had to have achieved everything before I had. And I think it was the first time that I let myself think that that didn't have to be the case, and the first time that I felt that it was true for I don't have to I don't.
Speaker 3: Actually what made.
Speaker 6: That idea land I honestly, I honestly don't don't know.
Speaker 2: Four or five glasses of wine.
Speaker 6: No, I hadn't even know, but no, I don't have one one champagne. I don't know. I think it was just it was probably just timing. It had been a really big year. Last year was a really big year.
Speaker 1: I think it was the fact that you took this holiday by yourself to hang out with some of our friends over in New York. And I think it was just that having that freedom and knowing that also I don't know whether that's me, but I like, allow you the freedom, you also allow me the freedom to go and do those things.
Speaker 3: It was like another eat, pray, love I guess also maybe.
Speaker 1: Maybe individualized, but also we come together for our moments as well, right, which I think is important.
Speaker 4: But also the project got acts last year. Yeah, and surely that has some resonance where you like, if you invest all your energies into work of whatever the shape that takes, that then that can be taken away.
Speaker 3: And I think that's probably it. You're just saying that. I was like, oh, yeah, that's probably yeah, because that was very significant to.
Speaker 6: And that was like the job that I'd always wanted, and that was the job. I think I feel like I was just sort of almost just getting started on that job too, and it was that reminder of I've given everything to my career and it still disappeared.
Speaker 3: Yes, in a way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So why do I keep pushing this back back, back, back back when I know that it is something I want, it's something I want for us, it's something I want for him.
Speaker 3: Because of the factor of the image of a little hum in this world is very cute. Just it's too much.
Speaker 6: So I think that, yeah, that probably was the the clarifying factors.
Speaker 4: You know, the language that women that we use when we talk about you want to achieve things, and yet somehow we don't see the child or the family as an achievement. It's like I'm going to do this and then I'm going to but in many ways, as an extrapolation of love, the child is the achievement huge.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I mean I only see it from my friends and brothers and their kids and the amount of effort and work that goes into it.
Speaker 2: From my sisters in law is it's.
Speaker 3: The biggest stretch you can have, but you two are already very stretched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's we're sort of building towards that, you know, saving so then we can have the time to do it, building things that's not just a musical, but building something outside of it that we can do knowing that we'll have income.
Speaker 3: Like what would that look like?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that for me, it's still performing. But I think for me, I'm very happy to be to stay at home dad, knowing that most of.
Speaker 2: My gigs are still at nighttime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I can afford that kind of space to raise kids, which.
Speaker 6: Has been That's been the conversation that we've had throughout our entire relationship, because you know, I'm not I'm not the clucky one, and maybe that will change because we have.
Speaker 3: A kid in it for the first time, and I'm like, oh my gosh, I only want to spend time with you, But.
Speaker 2: You're going to love this baby more than me.
Speaker 3: I did think that, and you will. You will love the baby more than me. Not true, he already do. I think that's natural. I probably love it as well.
Speaker 6: But early on when you were like, oh, we could have a kid, and I was like, I am a teen moment, you mean you've got to be more obsessed with me still, so yeah, but now that now that is changing. And now even to the point where it's psychef, I am like thinking about daydreaming about our life in the future and it's a family. There's points where I get really excited about what you know, our kid could achieve.
Speaker 3: And that when I when I had that feeling, you know, which crazy.
Speaker 4: Child has to be unattractively competitive.
Speaker 6: The right way, but you know what, what they want to do, what they want to be, they want to be and who they might be. And I think that's the first time that actually like hit that I was genuinely excited about that and to be like, oh, that would actually be rather magical.
Speaker 3: Okay, this time next year, what does it look like are you on stage?
Speaker 2: I'm probably probably looking after a baby I this.
Speaker 7: Time next geer, hang on to tell me now, count goodness, that's where start.
Speaker 2: We have to really.
Speaker 6: All right, lights, that's very soon, but potentially I'm not pregnant.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think there's are we still in Sydney.
Speaker 2: Who knows?
Speaker 3: Who knows? I think I think we are for now.
Speaker 6: I think we have now, But I also thought we're both going to be in Sydney when we're well back.
Speaker 4: Also, you're reading the weekend news now that's a sweety Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 6: It's great with ten and I also have got like the podcast. Yeah, I'm still still doing those. Yeah, so I can only see them growing. I think it's in particular my sports podcast is really really exciting jell me at the moment, So hopefully we get to keep doing that. But I want to do more writing, so like next year, I just want to be able to do some do some more writing.
Speaker 3: What did that look like in your schedule? It could be a sequel.
Speaker 6: I love a sequel. I'd love a sequel. I'd love to like have I'd love to go love a sequel. I'd love to adapt it into a script. I'd love to work on this other ya trilogy. I've been writing since I was like early twenties.
Speaker 3: All right, how long you've wanted to be a writer since you were a kid. That's amazing. Why, like, what what was the feeling of writing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Was it because you loved reading.
Speaker 6: Yes, because I loved reading, and I think it was always it always comes back to even my current job, it always comes back to storytelling.
Speaker 3: I've just always been obsessed.
Speaker 4: Very natural storyteller, and even like because you're juggling these storylines and characters, and but you've made it so easy to read. Yeah, and that is thank you. I find that extraordinary for a first novel. I truly find it extraordinary. And hang on to Maggie, hang on.
Speaker 1: I've read every iteration of this book, and from the get go. I remember reading that first, the prologue. It was the first thing that you write, and I was like, this is excellent. This reads like a script, like I am gripped, Like the.
Speaker 2: Dialogue is so snappy.
Speaker 1: You can you can feel, you feel the person's inner workings, and you see the world as well, like the way you painted the news room or the restaurants or the bars that they go to. I think for me it's I've probably been to some of those places, but the world is so colorful and bright and view it's.
Speaker 4: A dialogistic it's like you, it's optimistic, but also like got its feet in the earth of reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, it's really, I can't.
Speaker 6: I can't wait to interrogate you about every single thing about it because then we can just nerd out.
Speaker 3: Because but that's that's why. Because I've always just loved stories.
Speaker 6: I loved reading when I was younger, I loved going into different worlds. I loved especially like fantasy books, and like quests and adventures, and I love all of that. And then when I was actually writing, I just genuinely find writing so much fun. And I always find that increasile, like when when do you do it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: For this, I did really struggle finding time to write this because when I first started.
Speaker 2: This, you know, finding time or making time.
Speaker 3: But that's it.
Speaker 6: That's what I hate that I can't make time. I just simply couldn't make time. So it was like, oh, yeah, i'll get up early and i'll write before work, or I'll get home and i'll write after work. I never did any of that. I needed like a full day that I could like dip in and out. But when I was actually sat down to write, I wrote very quickly because I kind of got lost in yes, in the world, in the characters, in what they were doing, because they're real to me. So the girls in my mind, they do exist, and I'm just always currently thinking about what they're what they're doing, or what's what's what's going on with them too. Yeah, And I think I've always written so when when I first moved out of home, like if I was trying to decompress from like a day at work or something, I would just sit at my laptop and write different stories. So there's you know, dozens of half written manuscripts on my.
Speaker 3: Oh my life. You can retire, but you look after to the babies.
Speaker 4: The Barbara Cartland was going to take care of everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would love because and I think it's just been creative, right, Like you just get to create like a fool.
Speaker 2: It was one of the first things that Georgie gave me was her script of a young adult novel.
Speaker 3: That's how I liked him. Yeah, trust, that's a big trust.
Speaker 2: Ex so something I loved it.
Speaker 3: And what did he give you? What was what was that? What was what's your version of that?
Speaker 1: I thought she was a nerd, So I gave her this book that I loved so much because it gave me a lot of perspective of the world called Freakonomics, written by Stephen Levett, Stephen Dubna and it's a great podcast. I really like as well anyway, just to show her like, this is the kind of stuff that I like.
Speaker 2: It was like the economics of everyday things, and it was romantic. Well obviously I know that.
Speaker 3: Now I love the sentimental.
Speaker 2: Have you read it.
Speaker 3: I've not read it, and I've still not read that book. But I'll tell you what. I'll save it from a fire.
Speaker 6: I'll save it from a fire, sure, because I love the sentiment of it.
Speaker 3: I love that you loved it and you gave it to me, and it's very special to me.
Speaker 2: But I have, I have, I've read all the things that she has given.
Speaker 3: Me, the great books.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think when I was testing with that, you need to give him one of those nine parts series Huge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the story of civilization of Man. He'd actually probably like that, whereas I would learning that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had learning when I was a kid at school.
Speaker 3: I hate learning, but now I love learning.
Speaker 6: I used to doing yours, No, but I did something to my never ending to do Italians.
Speaker 3: See, you have already master anything you can't do.
Speaker 2: Speak Italian.
Speaker 4: Rob Mills and Mills, Georgie, Tommy what a delight you are. No, you're a delight, you're a look at But just how refreshing and beautiful to have.
Speaker 3: Such talent and such.
Speaker 4: Optimism and such good engines going out into our country.
Speaker 3: I think it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I wish you every success. Oh I love this chat.
Speaker 4: Some interviews are more like conversations with great friends, and this was certainly one of those. The thing that I love most about these two is that they're just as delightful together as they are separately. We covered weddings and babies and books and theater, rejection, reality TV, orgies and about a thousand other things, and honestly we could have talked for hours more. Georgie's debut novel, It's So Good, Over to You It's called is out now, and Rob is currently starring in the Australian premiere production of Waitress, also So Good. If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you follow no Filter wherever you're listening. I'm your host, Kate Linebrook, and I look forward to seeing you next Monday.