Speaker 1: So you're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on from Mamma Mia. Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodnick and joining me on this interesting looking orange couch.
Speaker 3: Is Kelly mccaren, usually over on the beauty podcast You Beauty. I'm joining the Lovely Laura today to discuss all things celebrity.
Speaker 1: Well in sports. Funnily enough, oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, sports, celebrity penises. We're getting into all of it Todayre's.
Speaker 1: A myriad of topics.
Speaker 3: We've already been discussing nitball and yeah, we're going about to get into it.
Speaker 2: Hole exactly what I feel like this couch, which I should say we are not now pod studio today because the aircorne's broken and someone was very dramatic and so they were going to die. That was definitely was absolutely I think that's actually a fair call. I don't do well in heat. That's why I left North Queensland. So we've stolen mea Friedman's office. I just feel like I'm on this couch.
Speaker 3: Well, it's very like I'm sitting cross legs leaning like this is a comfortable chair.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to have a little DNM, have a little counseling session. By the end of this, I'll probably closer to the floor because I find during these episodes I just kind of slink down.
Speaker 1: I won't move.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good to know, which is kind of good because we've got some very interesting stuff to discuss today, so I feel like the couch setup is good. We are going to talk about Megan Markle's newest business venture. I think we'll have very different views on that, and I think there's a bit of a theory as to why she's going in this direction that's making people very upset. And then you have a hot take on a very big event. Yeah, I don't know the sports side of it, a very big event that happened in Australia the last couple of days. All the famous people were there and we have a few opinions on who gets to go to those events. But first pinis yes, suns up. So White Lotus where midway about I think through season three of The White Lotus and they're are really slow. It is a slow which is kind of what I think is very interesting about is that a lot of critics in particular saying that this has been quite a slow and uneventful season, and to an extent, yes, like there's lots of little talking points around it, and I think the performances in particular are very good this season. But we're kind of midway through the season now and there haven't really been a lot of plot twists, scandals. It just feels like it's moving in a very kind of slow hyper n yeah, yeah, little, there's little like viral moments like that, And the last two episodes things seem to have kicked up a little bit, and I wonder if that's because so far it's been a bit of like a sexless season in how each season is meant to be like one of the seven Deadly Sins.
Speaker 1: Okay, what was number one then? But it was the first season.
Speaker 2: So the first season was hooked on greed and then we've got lost and then this one is gluty. I thought so that, yes, yes, you call that, which I don't know what it says about me that the second season is just by faith but lusty people like to watch sex, yeah, sexy thing, yes we do. And so this season wasn't meant to be as much about that. But there's been like a few little moments that have become very viral, and one of those is, oh, you didn't like the penis scene from last weekend?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I did like that one. Gosh, sorry, it wasn't nice, Staddy.
Speaker 2: Oh, it wasn't even meant to be like a big old slung It wasn't even with that word. And then Harry pottered two things you don't normally hear together. It wasn't even meant to be like a big plot twist or a sexy moment or anything like that. Like it's literally because he's so like drugged out of his mind because of all the money he's stolen and beezzled that Jason Isaac's character Tim Ratliffe didn't close his robu. But I think it was meant to be like a shocking moment for the audience in terms of like I think like White kind of weeves those little moments through the show. So you have those moments that kind of jilt you out of the storyline.
Speaker 3: Yes, but you also know that it's coming or you feel uncomfortable because you feel like you think you know it's coming. Yeah, like every time the rope kept getting that little bit high. I was watching, going, my god, cover yourself, like your children are right there.
Speaker 2: I know, and they're already knowing from the first time we saw them as the incest family, and that I didn't even come to the second episode. Really, they're already known as the incest family, so it was interesting to do it there. What I also thought was interesting about that scene is that Jason Isaacs, who plays that character, did a lot of media the next day to talk about it. We'll talk about the show, but that's obviously why. Yeah, So when he was being asked on all the talk shows that he went on, he said, I'm not going to talk about that, and I think there's a.
Speaker 1: Humory Adam Daimos or whatever his name is.
Speaker 2: Second yea, yeah, he said, I'm not going to talk about that because I think it's a wild double standard that women don't have to talk about how they do their sex scenes. And first of all, they absolutely do. But he talks about Mikey Madison from Anora, and he said, no one's asking Mikey Madison to explain her volver, so I shouldn't have to explain my penis.
Speaker 1: Are you a fake vulver, yes or not.
Speaker 2: You see her volver in the movie like that, you see her boobs and you see other things, but there's no full front of the volp.
Speaker 3: We've lived a very long few decades, longer through misogyny and sexism. Yeah, we're allowed to have our moment.
Speaker 2: But also, if you did see a full shot of Mikey Madison's vulver in an she would be asked about that, Yeah, exactly. But you saw her boobs. They looked very real, So that wasn't a conversation. So Jason Isaacs was very much like, I'm an actor, do not ask me about my craft. But he didn't pass that along to Jesus. But he didn't pass those tidbits along to his TV children because then they did interviews when we are asked about it, and they all said, oh, yeah, that was a prosthetic. Like Sam Navola, who plays Lockie, was like, yeah, he was really proud of the prosthetic, Like it was really funny. On the day, we all kept laughing about it, whacking each other. Yeah, So obviously they didn't pass the memo on that it was meant to be this mysterious thing. You weren't meant to talk about, so that's become one of the big talking points. And then last night's episode, this is very spoiler like people like it's everywhere today. It's not like a big plot twist or anything like that, was that the two brothers from that same incestuous little family shared a bit of a kiss.
Speaker 1: Yuck, yuck, yuck.
Speaker 2: It just made me feel very uncomfortable. Just sorry, I'm I'm all here for but the brother, especially my younger older brother.
Speaker 3: I get the Yeah, very clever man, but like, can we not just leave the incest out of it?
Speaker 1: Well, you can't change my mind about this, Laura.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying it's like a sexy thing at all. Again, two hot guys kissing that would have been quite hot. Two brothers kissing.
Speaker 1: One especially kind of underage were unclear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, well he's senior in high school, okay, under yeah, very young. Well, and also they're on drugs and they had a lot to drink, so they're sort of out of their minds. So it could have almost just been this weird thing where they kissed with drugs, and it would have just been like, oh, it was weird and gross. If it hadn't been for the underlying storyline that was set up in the first episode of the Younger Brother kind of looking at his brother naked in the bed, and it's interesting that.
Speaker 3: And sorry, I've been off my face with my sister plenty of times, not once of a thought yuck.
Speaker 2: I don't yuh yuck. Isn't that just the worst thing? Siblings? Is just something just the worst thing, the worst thing just to think about. But it's interesting because people have been saying too, like there's so many taboos that have come and gone through pop culture and everything's getting like a little bit dissensitied and being like, oh, yeah, we've seen movies like that before. So is incest that like the last food left that we can throw out there for like shocking TV.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that's what he's doing. I don't know. I'm just not here for it.
Speaker 2: But I also think, like, if that's all it is, like a bit of an off your face kiss, I don't think this would count as like a big talking point in pop culture for an incest storyline, true, because it's just more of a weird thing of these like brothers weird getting high and then wanting to impress these like older women who was like so clearly messing with them, and the power dynamic is so clearly the ball so clearly in their court that these brothers kind of who are these like rich, powerful white men from like a powerful family. I just being made to look a bit silly by these women who are being properly kid. Yeah. And also it might we don't know yet. I haven't watched any further than what's on TV at the moment, but it might spiral into a bit more of a ancestral storyline. But I didn't even like the older brother calling his younger sister hot and asking them to have sex. Like everything about that family gives meybeck except Piper.
Speaker 1: Now tell them she's fancasty.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. The mom's the more normal one out.
Speaker 1: And no wonder with a family like that, she has to drug herself.
Speaker 2: So yeah, exactly, everyone's saying, like, oh, she's so wild. I'm like, I don't know. The husband is like stealing guns and like thinking about killing himself and stolen the money.
Speaker 1: Her three children have weird weirdly into each other, have a.
Speaker 2: Weird ancestral situation going on, and the mom.
Speaker 1: She's just worried about builderser.
Speaker 2: And she's just strucked up on holiday, the most one out of all of them.
Speaker 3: Now, one thing I didn't have on my algorithm bingo card for twenty twenty five was the f one.
Speaker 1: That just based on the weekend and I'm not alone.
Speaker 3: Formerly reserved for the car mad folk or possibly a few Daniel Ricardo fans. Social media was flooded with local celebs and influencers you generally wouldn't expect to associate with car racing, and A Paul was there, possibly feeling broke, can't confirm, Spice Girl, Melcy, Moana Hope, Curtis Stone, carry bigmore, the ronicas Alexandra Daddao, that chick from White Lotus Season.
Speaker 2: One, Beck Joe was there. I would have gone just for her.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And right proper celebs yeah.
Speaker 1: Brooke Blotton, amongst plenty of others, including our very own m Vernon, who went as a guest of Shark Beauty. Now with any event when media and influencers are invited, well, I should say females because the cranky people on the internet don't seem to care about the blokes get into an uproar.
Speaker 4: About ah, these bunch of nobodies being invited. Why would you send this person never shown an interest. How about you send someone who would actually appreciate it. And I'm unsure if these people realize that for as long as events have been going, big companies have had corporate boxes or access because they're either a sponsor of the event or they're like a brand partner. So say, for example, I used to work at a big fashion company back in the day. We used to get a big corporate box access to pretty much every concert because we used Star Trek as one of our male partners, and they always had a box.
Speaker 1: They were like, use it as you will.
Speaker 3: So I don't think people people realize that that's actually very, very normal. And the finance bros have always been attending things like the concerts and tennis and the f one for free for years, and who knows if they care about it or not. But because all the shoulder rubbing and networking and booger sugar sniffing was going on behind the closed doors, no one got cranky about it. So, Laura, why do you think people get so upset about seeing people from social media at these events?
Speaker 2: I think that idea of if there's something that the public really want to go to and there's something they can't access because of money or they couldn't get tickets. There's this anger influencer culture of how come these people get to go? And I think because a lot of people still see some influencers as being unworthy, like oh, they just post a few photos and they do nothing. Whereas I think, especially in today's climate, to have like a successful influencer business, you have to be putting some work in, you know, like you just like you had back in the day people get famous fro approaching a bikini show hot, yeah exactly, but and like that's obviously still the case, like hotness will get you over the line, but with the algorithms and like the business structure, it's not really enough. There's an anger of people who are undeserving to be there.
Speaker 3: So it's because they can see it happening, rather than it all happening behind.
Speaker 2: Closes one hundred, because they can see it happening. And I think there's even been like a big pushback against things like influencer brand trips and some brands now saying we won't do them anymore. We're going to take our customers instead.
Speaker 3: Who's going to care about old mate, going no one, no thing is when you look at the return on investment from a marketing point of view, it's like, you can't just send Carol from Accounts to these big fancy events. Of course it's lovely, and of course it's a lovely brand story, but Carol from Accounts is going to tell her couple of friends about the brand. You've got an influencer that's got one hundred million of that wow wow wow, Oh that was blown out to proportion with one million followers all over the world that are now going to be talking about Shark Beauty or looking at Shark Beauty.
Speaker 4: And of course you've got the two people that go, well, I'm even shopping at Shark Beauty. If that's who they send, okay.
Speaker 3: Great, well don't There's an awful lot of people that have never heard of that brand that now have because they followed that person and that person went to the event that they're interested exactly.
Speaker 2: That's something where you can do brand building nowadays.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's disgusting and ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But I think some businesses can make it work with taking customers on like a brand ship like Fate the label's done it very successfully. But that's different because there's not a lot of like plus size influences in that space. It's also if you're customers and then you see them their clothes, it's more of a grassroots whereas like a big brand needs people with big followers.
Speaker 3: I'm also going to argue against you there because the reason that that was so successful is because the owner is an influencer herself, so had a platform to tell everyone what she was doing. If you've got Nellie no name behind a brand, what's that going to do?
Speaker 1: You're going to.
Speaker 3: Be shouting about how good you are, Yeah, taking my customers, taking my regular people. You're going to be shouting about that to two people, your friends and family on the internet.
Speaker 2: But yeah, exactly. That's because their accounts are geared towards that sort of stuff. So when I'm seeing that content on their accounts, is giving me the content I want, whereas other beaoty brands, I'm might not be looking for that on their accounts. You're looking for these other people who were there. But I do feel like a lot of the brands who brought all these influences and famous people to this event over the weekend maybe did get a good return on their investment because they weren't there to promote the f one, like the tickets already sold out, like exactly, you couldn't go by the one.
Speaker 1: It doesn't need any more marketing from how many they were.
Speaker 2: There trying to sell their different brands, so like what people were wearing, the makeup they were using, the drinks they were holding. And I think that's why too, where you see a lot of people get very angry at influencers or famous people or podcast hosts who go to events like the Tailor Swift concert. So many different people were invited, like famous people in Australia were invited to watch that, and I saw so much anger over these famous celebrities, people with influence who could have afforded tickets. How dare they get invited? I think a lot of people in fearing that Taylor Swift had something to do with it, and how dared Taylor Swift use them to promote her concerts? And on that note, I was like, you don't get review tickets for Taylor Swift. I had so many people message me like friends I haven't seen for years, can you get a tickets?
Speaker 1: And you're like, are you serious.
Speaker 2: I was like, I didn't get review tickets. I bought my own because Taylorfift doesn't need to give media tickets to people. So the only people who got invited were invited by brands who had like bought boxes.
Speaker 3: And stuff and want to build relationships with different media are different influencers. Because, unfortunately, hate to say it, but if there's two really good blush brands and they're both equally as amazing, if you've gone to Taylor Swift with one blush brand, they're always going to be top of mind?
Speaker 1: Is that right? Maybe not, but it's just the way business works, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Well, from a bunch of influencers to someone who is cosplaying as an influencer, even though she could have taken things in a very different direction, Megan Markle's new business venture.
Speaker 3: She is actually I've never thought about it like that. She is cosplaying as an influencer.
Speaker 2: Everything she's doing is textbook influencer, but from about a decade ago. Yeah, I want to say, but anyway, we're not ragging on her at all. Guys, if you listen to like the five podcasts that we well, it might go that way. If we listen to the five podcasts. We've done her recently, but very pro make and marcle on this podcast. So recently, after all the buzz around her Netflix show had died down a little bit and she'd announced that season two was coming out, she then posted about her next business venture on her Instagram account.
Speaker 1: And she's very busy. She doesn't just repackage pretzels.
Speaker 2: No, she's got a lot going on, whole business venture. So she said that she is releasing her next podcast, which is called Confessions of a Female Founder, and the first episode's going to drop on April eight, and she said it's about having candid conversations with amazing women who have turned dreams into realities and scaled small ideas into massively successful businesses.
Speaker 3: Groundbreaking, Yes, and they're going to go onto I've never heard anything like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, that's the thing. So obviously anything that Megan Markel announces is going to be hit with like a lot of criticism or thought or critique anything like that. So the fact that people I think were like up at arms about this was to be expected. But I feel a lot of people had your reaction, like your very vistaal reaction of like what is she doing?
Speaker 1: That is not a new concept, no at all.
Speaker 2: How it was a new concept though.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The reason I had such a visual reaction was didn't her last podcast get canned because no one was listening to it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So she and Harry signed that huge deal with Spotify and then she and Harry did that podcast together.
Speaker 1: It was a very funny little inside thing.
Speaker 3: A lot of like Aussie podcasts got cut from Spotify because they didn't have any budget left because of this giant deal.
Speaker 1: That Absolutely they threw it investment.
Speaker 2: They threw it at Megan and Harry, they threw it at call Her Daddy. They threw it, They went through it, and then they went, oh shit, we have no more money to give other people. So yeah, with Harry Meghan. So they released that first podcast together. But it was so weird because it was such a long podcast and like fifteen guests on. They were like, here's this person, and here's Barack Obama and here's this and I'm like, guys, did no one of the planning meetings say this could have been like fifteen little podcasts? And then they didn't follow that up. And then she did do a full season of her podcast Archetypes, and it was okay, but.
Speaker 1: She didn't realize that she had two different ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, two different one. So she and Harry did one together that was kind of just peeded out, and then she did a full season of Archetypes. So and she had like really interesting guests on, like Mariah Carey and de Kaling and other non famous people as well, but she didn't really seem to understand the concept of what was going on. So her questions and her like line of interviewing like wasn't great. And some podcasts were great, like the Mindy Kaling one was great, but because Mindy Kaling was great, And then it came out.
Speaker 1: After Kaling would be good on any podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And so it came out later that some of the producers on the show had gone and done different interviews and they had dubbed Megan's voice over it, which is not uncommon. Oky take a number of celebrity junkets. I've been out where I'm talking to someone in the waiting room and I am like, oh, hi, like I'm Laura, and I see at you because I'm like, who is this person who's going into this interview? I never met them before, And they'll say oh, I'm the producer for such and such A won't say which ones, and when we play this interview tonight, will dub the radio host name over it, so it gets done a lot. It's not just Megan.
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll have to tell you later.
Speaker 1: I'm so gullible.
Speaker 2: They just dubbed their questions over. I guess if it's for radio or podcasts or something, you can do that.
Speaker 1: But I would want to go meet the person myself. But yeah, maybe, I.
Speaker 2: Guess sometimes it's a scheduling conflict. So she got a lot of hate for that. And then when they parted ways was Spotify. There was that whole thing of one of the guys who was like a higher up at Spotify saying there were grifters. I think that was like one of the reasons why people in that moment hated them so much. But I can understand from Megan Markle's perspective why she's doing this podcast, though as bland as it sounds.
Speaker 1: I obviously just won't listen to it.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to go roast her and listen to it and then leave a nasty review or anything.
Speaker 1: I think if you don't want to listen to it, don't listen.
Speaker 2: To Well, that's the thing too, with all these people who are so angry about Meghan Markle, and I understand that, Like, it can be hard when she's really in the media. She is everywhere, Like it's really hard to avoid her. But at the same time, you can just not watch her show and listen to her podcast. Yes, you can't escape her, but you can dilute the noise you want.
Speaker 3: To Absolutely Ken so earlier when you said that you wanted to talk about Meghan, mart I was like, Oh, but the thing is, is it I just fast forward through segments about the royals. I think that hating or loving anyone that's in the royal family is quite friend Like it's a weird social parasocial relationship to either love or hate them.
Speaker 1: Like I just simply don't care. I find them boring.
Speaker 3: I find all of that sort of perfect content that I've heard about, even though I've tried to avoid it, very boring.
Speaker 1: So I would just avoid it. I'm not going to go leave for review and send Netflix a message saying, oh that was terrible.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, that's definitely a much nicer way to be than just to hate watch something. But I think also with Megan Mikael is just that I think she's very, very aware of just how polarizing she is at the moment, even though there was a burst of good will towards her and Harry after their first Netflix documentary, because it's show the intensity of what had happened then behind the scenes and then over the time. As it's a very good documentary to be fair, like, it's obviously on very on their side, but it's interesting to see their perspective on this kind of global event that happened with like the royal family tearing apart from the inside. But I think also then there was all this stuff that came out around you know, them being terrible to people who worked them and their business is failing, and then the tide kind of turned against them. So now that Megan so clearly wants to be in the public life, like she really wants to be in the spotlight, which is fair enough. She was an actress and you know, she married a prince, so it's not unthinkable that she would want to be in the spotlight. But I think she's very unsure about how to go about it now because of the hatred against her, and because of that, she has reverted back to something that in the sace she knows works with her, which is twenty fifteen or even earlier than that Girl Boss early days of Instagram kind of wave yeah that and people keep saying like, she just looks so out of touch, and I was like, no, no, but she's.
Speaker 3: Reverting back to a safe space or so do you think any celebrity is in touch. No, they're just really good at cosplaying being your regular person.
Speaker 1: If you think that they are in touch.
Speaker 2: Exactly, I think she's just like someone in her head or someone on her team has been. Like back in this time of Instagram and that girl Boss culture, there was a very clear set of rules that women in the public eye could follow that kept them safe from ridicule. It's obviously not the case now, but back then it was like you could post these really bland, aesthetic pictures and people would really love your content because it was just meant to be visual. You could talk about like calmness and loving yourself and the importance of family and show this a really beautiful, rich life and no one was calling you out because your life was unattainable, like we want it unattainable.
Speaker 1: I think that a huge portion of the population still does, though.
Speaker 3: I think that it's just everyone that hates them is so noisy, like just be quiet. Like look at Nara Smith, how many followers to share on TikTok. Her whole shtick is about attainable aesthetic, very old school, kind of tried wife stuff.
Speaker 1: So if that's what Megan is doing, it's full of the middle Americans. But that's what they like, Let them be happy.
Speaker 2: And yeah, but I think with Nara Smith, she's aware of like how bizarre her life looks.
Speaker 1: I actually do think recently she's being a bit silly.
Speaker 2: Well that exactly now, she's playing into that. If you see the hat, yes, explain for people who haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Like I haven't checked in with her for a while, and I went to a pageant to it.
Speaker 3: Oh my word, she's wearing what can only be described as you would think it would be seen on a Paris catwalk, a bit of millinery, millinery, like a fascinator hat. Yeah, hybrid, just absolutely ridiculous. It looks like a parody version of a hat that, yeah, you would see on a cutwalk.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 3: And she's wearing it with a straight face in one of her crique.
Speaker 2: Well, exactly because she needs that little moments of like quirkiness and shock factor to keep her audience tuning in. And then I think something like that Megan Michael can't like use those quirky moments as much because she's so aware of the blowback, I know. But instead of that, she's like, I'm going to champion women who have started their own business. And yes, that feels very bland to us. Now, I'm sure not bland toole who want to start a business. Like if I were starting my own business, I'd be listening to every podcast available about it and.
Speaker 3: There's always a room for everyone and every sort of like yeah.
Speaker 1: Of course it's still going to.
Speaker 2: Get But I think I think for her it just seems like a safe space that she knows how to play in because she knows the language. It's been around for over ten years. An idea of like let's up with women and how did you do that? And that's incredible and obviously that's good bye.
Speaker 1: A brand that has powersuits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it's some one's vibrno them and well we don't know this wonts yet, So We'll have to see who that is. Maybe it'll be her own little company pushing it in there. But I think in that case, like it seems like such a bland idea, but it's just a bland idea that she feels safe in. And I think her whole shtick at the moment is that she's going to continue to cosplay as like a twenty fifteen twenty ten influencer.
Speaker 1: And e book is next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh can you imagine?
Speaker 1: And ebook is one hundred percent next.
Speaker 2: I actually love if she went full retro.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean. Yeah, and then an app will do an app?
Speaker 2: Oh, an app and love that and then on a blog yeah exactly, of course. Well, thank you very much for listening to the Spill today. As predicted, I've sunk right down the couch because I just the more intense I get, the further onto the floor.
Speaker 1: And as predicted, I have not moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm really your posture is incredible. So if you want more of the Spill, even though after that you might be thinking I need a little bit of a break, make sure you check out yesterday's episode because it was just an odyssey of topics that we talked about We talked about Chet Hanks, who talked about Kanye West not together although they are very much the same. We talked about Doughchi. It was a whole situation, so make sure you don't listen to that, and Kelly will be back to you with us next Tuesday. If you have any wild topics that you want her honest opinion on, let us know because that seems to you. You know, I'll tell you unpopular opinions with Kelly and we'll see you back in your podcast for you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, Hella Llan Llan