Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mama Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. So I'm wearing a dress today and shoes. My dress is probably one, right, my shoes are red, so I might get two for those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're a two point shoe lady.
Speaker 2: Because I love an interesting shoe. But then I've stopped. Whereas if I was a person, would I've looked in the mirror and gone, maybe a belt, maybe a bag, maybe a fascinator on a Monday morning. But it's accessories. How do you get good at that? Hello, and welcome to Mamma Mia. Out loud what women are actually talking about on Monday, the seventh of April. My name's Holly Wayne Wright. And no, I didn't get any of Megan's jam. If you're wondering, did you try? Yes? But I was too late. And also she wasn't shipping to Australia. This is a detail that I was not aware of before I click click.
Speaker 3: Did you consider getting it shipped to your parents to then ship it to you?
Speaker 2: Well, I was already too late because Megan's jammed. For all the naysayers, every single thing on that site sold out with inseconds. There are no flower pedals left in California.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: I'll keep you updated out loud. At many of you were concerned. If the situation changes and a JAM shipment should arrive, we will let you know.
Speaker 3: I'm Jesse Stevens and I just plucked a long hair out of my cheek.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Does anyone else have a long hair?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just one on this cheek?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had one just here. I've also got a long one just here on my arm old friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm Amelia Lester. I enjoy hot cross barns. I'm my hot crossbarn era. Really yeah. I heat them up in the microwave for ten seconds.
Speaker 2: I hate them toasted. Gotta haven't toasted.
Speaker 4: And the funny thing is I don't normally like raisins and my sultana hater, But in a hot cross barn.
Speaker 3: What's your recommendation for the absolute best hot cross bun Like if you're going.
Speaker 4: To get my partner brought home from the shops the other week, fruits hot crusts, they're literally called fruitless inappropriate.
Speaker 2: I don't like to mess with hot cross bunds, no chop chips, none of that stuff.
Speaker 4: You just need the og Oh I knew you'd say that, but you need to try the bisco off ones.
Speaker 2: Okay, and the show today. None of this, absolutely, none of this is on the show today, Breds. We're just gone off Monday, offscript.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm not gonna talk more about Jesse's hair.
Speaker 3: Also, get one on my chin.
Speaker 2: Okay, back in the room. Bamboozled by all the tariff talk modeled about the stock market mayen lucky for all of us, Amelia Lester is not, and she's going to explain it all to us in a way that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Well, we're plucking our chin hairs. Amelia is doing a bit of research about tariffs. Thanks God, you make.
Speaker 2: Us sound like we are anyway. Also, the new rules for women's bodies and exercise that are changing everything quickly, and the seven point rule that's going to change how you get dressed. But first, we're going to be much improved by the end of this episode. But first, Jesse Stevens.
Speaker 3: In case he missed it, Robert Erwin may or may not have bread in his pants.
Speaker 4: Wait, explain who Robert Irwin is? Because I keep seeing a photo of him. I don't fully understand.
Speaker 3: Robert Irwin is the son of the late Steve.
Speaker 4: Isn't he like five?
Speaker 3: Okay? He was born in two thousand and three, which allegedly makes.
Speaker 2: Him two years older than my daughter. No, no, no, that's wrong. No, no, my niece.
Speaker 3: It's okay, okay, because somehow years Monday, I had to google that two pieces of information. But allegedly that man is twenty one years old, and you remember him as a newborn. You remember him as a toddler with a bowl cut. Gorgeous, gorgeous, and look, he was part of a new Bonds campaign posing with a giant snake, a spider. There was a giant snake.
Speaker 2: There was a real giant, a giant snake, and there was a giant snake. Come on, he was looking.
Speaker 3: Very handsome, and we had some complicated feelings as well as triggering deep psychological crises for women and men all over the world. These photos have given way to a bread theory. Now if you look closely, which I haven't, but other people did, and therefore I read their commentary about how close the Crutchal region is allegedly very smooth, It's very even and very tidy. Jackie O, as well as a few other industry insiders, have talked about how four Underwear shoots. What they do is put a slice of white bread. I don't know why it couldn't be maybe wholemeal would be a little bumpy.
Speaker 2: I think that white bread, particularly if it's like the real white bread, you know, the really supermarketing white bread, is moldable in a way like you could roll that stuff into a ball.
Speaker 3: If you turn your.
Speaker 2: Saldo into a ball, it isn't working grainy. Wholemeal is a.
Speaker 3: Working right, No, no, no, So it's white bread. And apparently JACKIEO said that sometimes they moisturize the bread and then use it like Plato, to just go over it. So what they do is it pads out the air, provides a nice little cushion and any rough edges or bits and pieces aren't sticking out.
Speaker 2: Someone think of the penis models. I can't be comfortable.
Speaker 3: I know, what are you to do with the bread?
Speaker 4: Speaking of Hot Cross parks.
Speaker 2: I have never seen so many women lose their minds so quickly as when those pictures came out on Friday morning. It's really strange because women of all ages feel unsure about it. But he's twenty one. As we've established like, he's allowed to have it, allowed to show us as pants.
Speaker 3: He's very handsome and he's really big in the US.
Speaker 2: His bonds are going to be selling lots of pants in the US, is what you're trying to say?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly right, go bonds. Then Australian success story are over. What about the tariffs exactly?
Speaker 2: How is that gonna work merely less to save us from our purient selves?
Speaker 4: Please? So, in case you hadn't heard, last Wednesday was Liberation Day. Feeling good everyone? That was the day Donald Trump announced tariffs on every country in the world except North Korea and Russia, and including countries that are just inhabited by penguins. But we'll get to the penguins later. First, I want to see if you, Holly and Jesse, had any questions about tariffs that you were afraid to ask, because, let's face it, none of us thought we'd be sitting here thinking this much about tariff.
Speaker 2: Can we start at the very basic yes, what is a tariff?
Speaker 4: A tariff is a tax on an import that is paid by the company that imports the good is.
Speaker 3: The idea that Trump's like, we're going to incentivize Americans to make their own stuff. What's the purpose behind all of this?
Speaker 4: Such a good idea, Jesse. What we think the purpose is is that he wants to get back to a stage where Americans were making more things. So, yes, not a stage when there was more manufacturing. A couple of issues with that. First, robots do most manufacturing now, not humans, ok, because we live in twenty twenty five. And the second problem is that everything from the phone that listeners are probably listening to this on to the clothes that we are wearing, they all depend on these really complex supply chains these days. So the idea that you can just isolate the making of the good from all the stuff that goes into the good doesn't really work right.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying is the phone or the pen or the whatever that we're importing into America probably has lots of things in it that have to be imported to the place where it's manufactured. There are tariffs on all those things. Then we sell the pen to America, Yes, we have to pay a tariff to do that. Yes, he wants to make it more expensive to import your things into America, so that foreign things are more expensive in America.
Speaker 4: Yeah, correct, that's correct. So here's like two concrete examples. So computers and phones depend on semiconductors, which are made by basically made by two countries, Taiwan and the Netherlands. America's starting to try and make them, but they're really only made by those two countries, which by the way, have huge tariffs on them. So your phones and your computers are about to get more expensive. So here's a really salient example for why terra don't really make sense. Botswana has now had these tariffs imposed on it by the US of forty percent. Botswana mostly imports to the US diamonds. The US can't just make diamonds in a factory because they're found in the ground. They're not something you can make, and so it's just going to end up making diamonds more expensive coming into the US and not have any actual impact on anything else. So I think a lot of people didn't know what a tariff was when Trump started talking about this, and I don't really blame them because tariffs were last popular about a century ago in the nineteen thirties and twenties, and.
Speaker 2: They were popular because it was seen as being let's make sure that the importers are paying US. I don't understand why they would be popular when they just make everything more expensive.
Speaker 4: So here's a really interesting theory that I've heard about why people liked the idea of the tariffs. It's basically got to do with gender. American unemployment is really low rate now. It's around four percent, which is about as low as you can possibly get. When Trump started talking about bringing back my manufacturing jobs to America, he was basically acting as though the entire services industry. By services, I don't just mean restaurant workers, I mean anyone who doesn't make a thing but instead provides a thing, provides a service that doesn't exist. And the reason why the manufacturing pitch was popular is because men work in manufacturing the services industries. Women also work in services industries. So what he's really saying is enough of the jobs for women, I want more jobs for men.
Speaker 2: And I've also heard him say that he wants other countries to maybe move their manufacturing to the US to try and avoid the tariffs. Is that right? So he's like, Taiwan, come build your stuff in America, employ Americans and then you get around the tariffs. But surely you can't just click your fingers and build a factory and make it all work within the next electoral term.
Speaker 4: Yeah, factories take a long time to build. But we also get back to the problem that the world economy relies on the idea that some people have stuff that others people want, and an example of that is going to be beef. So let's listen to what he had to say about Australian beef.
Speaker 6: Australia bands and they're wonderful people and wonderful everything, but they ban American beef. Yet we imported three billion dollars of Australian beef from them just last year alone. They won't take any of our beef. They don't want it because they don't want it to affect their farmers. And you know what, I don't blame them, but we're doing the same thing right now. Starting about midnay tonight, they would say.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've gone deep on the beef question. Australia does ban us beef imports. You want to know why it does that. It was really worried about disease about twenty years ago, but now it also bans it because the US has live cattle imports from Canada and Mexico, Australia really knows exactly what has happened to its beef from cow to burger. It can trace exactly from the cow to the burger what happened along the way. The US can't do that because it's still getting cows from Canada and Mexico, and so it can't track the whole way and assure its safety the whole way.
Speaker 3: So what is this actually going to do to the US economy, Because it feels like people are panicking.
Speaker 4: McDonald's in the US uses a lot of Australian beef. The reason is because the US government has said, hey, if you make a burger, it has to have less than thirty percent fat content. This is one of the US government's big edicts. And American beef is really fatty because it's grain fed. Australian beef is lean because it's grass fed. The US is like, let's get some Australian beef in here, three billion dollars worth of it to help make our hamburger patties, because they literally can't make the hamburger patties in the way that the US government says it has to without the beef from Australia and some other country. We's got great Australia, great beef. So now Trump, who loves burgers and loves McDonald's burgers by the way, is going to see his big Max get really expensive.
Speaker 2: It's good to hear that we're wonderful everything here in Australia, as he says. But to Jesse's point about what this is going to do to the economy, it feels like since Liberation Day we've just heard markets in free fall global wall. Can the rest of the world kind of pretend that America doesn't exist and go kind of all right, you and your tariff system is going to create mayhem. So we're just going to turn to other trading partners. We're just going to look at other markets, like can we put our fingers in ours and go la la la?
Speaker 3: Is my question?
Speaker 4: It's a great question, I think sort of. So the ABC's Alan Kohler, he's actually argued exactly what you're saying here, Holly. He has said that there's nothing for Australia to negotiate with the US because it doesn't put tariffs on American imports. So there's nothing to say, hey, we'll stop putting a tariff on this if you do this. And Albanezy has said on beef and pharmaceuticals because of the pharmaceutical benefits scheme, America is also mad at Australia about cheap drugs that Australia imports. He's said, these are not up for discussions. So if you take beef and pharmaceuticals off the table, there's nothing really for Australia to bargain with the US on. So we kind of just have to get on with it as though it wasn't happening. And I think for the most most part, the analysis is that the Australian economy and the things that we export are going to be fine. Cars are going to get more expensive. That's kind of unavoidable because Australia, yes, because cars have parts from all over the world, so all of those countries that's going to be a problem for them. But wine, beef, pharmaceuticals, these are all big exports of Australia. For the most part, they say that they're going to find other markets to sell to. The beef exporters have said they're going to go to Europe, Europe needs a lot of beef for steak tatar.
Speaker 3: So what do Americans think about this right now? Like is there a general sense there of whether they some people still sported of tariffs, or now that they know what it actually looks like, has the tide turned.
Speaker 4: I don't think they yet know what it's actually going to look like, because if you think about like how global shipping and everything works, like the goods that you're buying today were probably brought into the country months ago, So it's not as if the prices are going to immediately skyrocket, but it's just going to be like in a year's time, an iPhone or a big mac is going to cost so much more for the average American than they used to. And I think that's when the pain's really going to hit. And what about the penguins, Oh, what about the penguins. So you've probably been seeing memes of penguins who are mad at Donald Trump, and this is because he did put a ten percent reciprocal tariff on the herd of McDonald Islands. These are actually Australian Maxternald territories near Antarctica. These are home to penguins, seals, glaciers, no humans. The only way you can get there is by a two week voyage on a boat from Perth. But the penguins do have a ten percent tariff that they're going to have to pay what the penguins are exporting.
Speaker 2: In a moment, the conversation about women's health has changed everything. Exercise early before you eat anything, put off that first meal until noon, don't eat after five. Cardio is king. If you've had a loop track of body and exercise rules playing in your head for decades, please allow us an enormous record scratch through the whole thing, because it, like everything we know about women's health is changing quickly. Dr Stacy Simms is an exercise physiologist and nutrition scientist from Stamford University in the States, and she has been doing the rounds of some podcasts lately, blowing people's minds with her insights into why it is that if you and a man in your life, and there'll be a lot of listeners who recognize this situation, if you and a man in your life embark on some kind of health and fitness challenge at the same time, On like day five, he's boasting about all his results and you're still slogging waiting for something to change. On about day twenty, Dr Simms knows why this is and she went on Mel Robbins of Yes Let Them Fames podcasts last week and spelled out some truths about it. Her mantra is women are not small men, and she says that the exercise industry just shrinks and pinks what works for dudes to work for women and it doesn't, for example, exercising first thing in the morning. Last week, Dr Sims went on Mel Robins's podcast, Yes They Let the Woman and spelled out some new rules. Here's male's first question about what's different between men and women's workouts.
Speaker 7: What's the most common mistake that women make by following male centric fitness advice. Women's bodies don't respond well to facet training. What's fast training?
Speaker 2: I don't even know what the heck this is?
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 7: Fast training means you're not having any food before you go do exercise. It comes really to the brain, right, So when we start looking just at first thing you get up, and our responses are different, where women's brains will start going, Okay, where's the food to come in to help bring my stress hormones down? And get me started for the day, okay, And men, by the nature of being x y, their brains like, eah, okay, I'm going to supply some amino acids and some blood sugar and let's get on with the day. Then we'll find some food. But women's brain, specifically what we call the hypothalamus that is really sensitive to blood sugar and food coming in. So if you get up and you start your exercise without any food, the hypothalamus is like, wait a second, this is a stress to the body that I need to really try to figure out. But if I don't have food to counter the fuel that the muscles are needing from a contraction, I need to find a way to supply that fuel. And one of the first things that starts to get broken down is you're a muscle mass.
Speaker 2: What Dr sim says women should get up early if they're going to exercise, and lots of women exercise first thing in the morning because stealing the time from sleep is the only time available to them. And eat something anything, something small and protein rich. She actually on that she talks about making this little like coffee chee putting that she puts in the fridge overnight. But she likes coffee, which is a good thing. Beef, Yeah, beef would be great, especially if it was tarte, but a few spoonfuls of yogurt, half a banana whatever, she says, do that. She also reaffirmed what women everywhere are being told over and over, which is, it's not about cardio friends, it's about weights. She says, heavy ones in short reps. Then she also said that the fitness bro favorite of I spats are also not ideal for women, that we don't cope with that level of cold so well, but we love heat, so son as a great And then in excellent news for lazy girls, she says we're probably exercising too much. Ten minutes hard out in the morning is probably plenty as long as it involves lifting heavy weight, says Sims. Okay, Jesse and Amlia, are you excited or confused about the fact that everything we've been told about exercise is probably wrong?
Speaker 3: I find this really exciting. It made me realize listening to conversations like this are almost a bit discombobulating, because it feels like, for the first time, we're talking about women's exercise outside the framework of weight loss, like as as something to do with our bodies and functionality, which is not what was happening ever in the history of ever. And so I'm finding the research field fascinating because we're here caring tidbits like even I remember hearing, obviously with the rise of the matildas and the really exciting popularity of female sport, that things like ACL injuries for women are way higher than men. And they think that could be to do with a myriad of factors, but one of them is hormonal fluctuations, which means that you could tailor training so that you go, all right, we don't do this particular thing during this particular moment, whatever it is, so that women don't get as injured. While that is all really exciting, I guess my only thing when I go really deep on this, is that it's worth us remembering that doctor Simms is an expert who has for most of her career worked with elite athletes. And if we find this alienating or overwhelming, that's okay, because we're not elite athletes. My concern with exercise is always that we might throw too much information at women and then overwhelm them. And my reaction to overwhelm is to do nothing. So if I'm in a routine and then I get told you're doing it wrong, then I'm kind of like, well, screw it. I don't want to walk into a gym and be confused about what to do. I mean, the headline is movement is great, and I think that our bodies almost instinctively know, like it does feel good to be able to lift things.
Speaker 2: I think it's also who she's talking to is actually, apart from elite athletes, a specific kind of woman who is already exercised exact right. So she's talking to the people who do think that doing heavy cardio all the time has always been the way to get the ideal in inverted Comma's female body. And what she's saying, and lots and lots of other experts are saying, is that actually that's bad for our bodies in terms of it's going to make our bones more brittle than all of those things, and that strength is key, but a merely Sometimes I feel like Jesse with the overwhelmed, Like even the thing as simple as eat something first thing in the morning, that's not how my morning world works. So now I'm like, oh God, how do I fit in having a breakfast ready at six point thirty in the morning, when I'm going out to do my exercise. What do you think? Is itwhelming? Is it helpful? And also how do I do that an tips?
Speaker 4: I am someone who gets very angry very easily. You know how some people say, oh, I forgot to eat lunch today. Never happens, never, never happened never, So I always need to eat a hot cross fun when I get up. If you haven't noticed, that's a bit of a theme here.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you're just very in touch with your body.
Speaker 4: And I love carbs, but I think that this emphasis on saunas and heat is really interesting. I lived in Japan for a few years and I learned there about the joys of the on sand, which is communal bathing. And then I realize that basically every single culture around the world, except for Anglo cultures, emphasize the importance of communal bathing and the importance of heat specifically in that communal bathing experience. So in Japan, obviously it's a big thing. In career, it's a big thing.
Speaker 2: In Europe esture everywhere.
Speaker 4: Except for in Anglo cultures. And so I do have a friend who we used to get together for a and now we get together for a spot of sauna instead, and then we get in a groni afterwards, because we're human. But I think it's a really great way to socialize as well with other women, is to go to a sauna or to have that kind of experience. And I've noticed that those more casual, more financially accessible saunas are popping up all over the place, and I think it's for that reason. I did try cold plunge once. Have you ever tried a cold plunge?
Speaker 2: I never have, except, you know, just by accident when the hot water.
Speaker 4: Was at We've talked on this show about the wim Half method, and obviously wim Half himself is a controversial figure. But I did try the cold plunge and it actually led to the best sleep I've ever had in my life. But then I subsequently heard, and then this was born out in this podcast interview that for women in particular, you don't need to get into freezing cold water to get the health benefits. You can actually get into water that's around fifteen degrees celsius, which is actually pretty durable just in the morning when you get in the shower to have a bit of a cold shot in the shower. So I think thinking about being healthy is not just exercise, but also these other ways you can integrate health into your life is a good thing.
Speaker 2: I think you're right Jesse two about not getting too hung up about the rules. We all love rules, right because it makes things simpler. But I know loads of women and I at times in my life have loved when I used to do boot camp. Let's be clear about how many years ago. This was quite a few, but remember when I went through that phase of doing six am boot camp at the beach in Sydney, and that was a co ed situation and I loved that, like I loved doing all the ropes and all those things with the guys. And I know I've got lots of female friends who love doing hard cardio in mixed environments. I don't think we have to be so literal about this kind of advice that we go, well, it's great that we're learning more about women's bodies now we have to exercise completely separately in a completely different way and doing everything entirely differently. I think it's more about taking the bits that work for you.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Because even I've seen it become more and more specialized, and again, doctor Simms literally has a degree in this. It gets more and more specialized, and then it gets into the cycle, and I've seen a lot of these like cycle sinking workouts where people talk about what you do on day one and day two. If that works for you, absolutely, to me, way too complicated. I'm not even in touch with if I have my period right now, let alone what day I am and whether I should lift a weight.
Speaker 4: And also, you don't need more excuses for not.
Speaker 3: Going exactly, I don't feel like I need that, And I've seen it co opted by people who don't have access to the science and then provide these workout routines that it basically makes women feel like you need a degree in order to show up to the gym, and I don't think that's the best thing. I listened to the Quickie this morning where they were talking about some of these findings, and the stuff about how during puberty a woman's center of gravity changes was fascinating because we know that women's or girls rather their involvement in sport drops off, which is due to a lot of reasons. Center of gravity. This thing about you might actually fear less balanced, or if you're playing netball every week, then you kind of don't feel like yourself. That kind of research feels fundamental and really important. And I thought this during pregnancy because people say, you know, I said to my obsetrition, can I keep exercising? And in fact the advice he gave me was make sure you eat before. That's really important during pregnancy. And they say to do what you've always done, not do anything too differently. But with pregnant bodies, they're even less studied. It's like women's body is not touched. Pregnant bodies everything from medication to and what it results in, which is a good thing, is complete risk aversion. But also us not knowing if that antidepressant or that bla or that blah impacts the body, because how do you study it.
Speaker 2: There are good reasons for this, right from patriarchy in sexism, which is obviously part of it, but also I heard plenty of experts say it's hard to get control groups of pregnant women for very obvious reasons. These seem like problems that be able to be solved in this day and age.
Speaker 4: There's also the age issue. I mean I feel like the way I exercised in my twenties, I went through a brief orthorexic period of running seven miles a day and not eating anything until lunchtime. I couldn't even do that now if I wanted to. And so I think that notion of being gentle on yourself from what you could do earlier in your life versus what you can do now is really important as well.
Speaker 3: That it changes throughout a lifetime. She is also one of the women who's working on this menstrual blood test stuff. You guys, did we talk about this on the shdow she's working on. For example, if you don't live anywhere near a doctor, she wants us to be able to test our menstrual blood and see what we can find out about our health. She's a very impressive foll.
Speaker 4: Jermaine Grew said we should taste our menstrual blood.
Speaker 2: Yes, she did, familiar with it, make friends with it, spread it on your hot crossbond.
Speaker 3: Before we move on. This is actually why we made well. So there is a brand new mum maya podcast about women's health. Focuses solely on women's health for this reason that women bodies have been understudied, and we're full of questions. So look, it is so brilliant. It is with Claire Murphy and doctor Mariam. And I must say I am sending Claire questions. I sent hers something this week being like for well, for well, because I want you to explain it to me, tell me whether it's true. There is a link in the show notes.
Speaker 8: Took just over a week for the first major backflip of the federal election campaign, Peter Dutton sensationally scrapping plans to stop at public servants working from home. That oppositionally it joins us Live now from Adelaide, Pete, good morning to you. Conveniently you're in the city of churches. Will you be asking for forgiveness from female voters?
Speaker 9: I think I am today. Look, I think we've made a mistake in relation to this policy, seruh, and I think it's important that we say that and recognize it. And our intention always was to make sure that we're taxpayers are working hard and their money is being spent to pay wages. It's been spent efficiently, and that of course will always be the case. We want to spend taxpayers money efficiently.
Speaker 2: If you see one election headline today. It's probably this one that Peter and backflipped on his famed war on working from home. We talked about this a few shows ago about how it seemed like one of the battle lines being drawn between the two major parties was about working from home and flexibility and where you work. And it seemed at the time like the Coalition were taking a bit of a leaf out of the Trump Doge playbook and threatening to cut thousands of public service jobs while also ushering government workers. That's a very broad term government workers, but it's been thrown around a lot. Back to the office five days a week. First of all, it was all public servants, then it was just the ones in camera the other side labor quite successfully. It seems painted this as Donne being anti flexible work in general, even though he never said that, and being the kind of boss who forced you back into the office no matter what, whether you wanted to come or not. But it turns out Australia isn't America and people didn't love it. In fact, they didn't love it so much that Dutton did do this backflip in inverted commas, which is something that general politicians avoid. But do we love it when a politician says, we got that wrong.
Speaker 3: I quite like this. I liked it, you know, to admit to making a mistake rather than digging heels in because you want to stick to something you said. I think looking at the data and the information and the feedback which they got a lot of, and going yeah, right, you've got a point and then they pivot seems like a good thing. I also feel as though they have noticed that any connection or association between a Dutton government and a Trump presidency is not going down well with the Australian public. So we interviewed on the project last night Samantha Maiden, who was saying that the dad vote is apparently critical in this election, and in terms of what dads care about, it's Medicare, it's climate change, and they don't like this Dutton position on working from home. It's not popular. Whereas in the US there's a swing, right, we're actually seeing the opposite in Australia.
Speaker 4: I have a theory as to why this work from home or bringing workers back to the office push has not worked in Australia. Basically, you know, the premise is that government workers aren't working hard enough. They're bludgers. They are at home. They're not delivering for taxpayers. When I moved back here after a few years away last June, one thing that really struck me was that I'd go to the doctor. I'll take my kid to the doctor, and then a couple of days afterwards, I will get a payment from Medicare in my bank account. This blew my mind. I cannot tell you how unusual this is in the United States. The only time you hear from government in the United States for most people is when you have to pay your taxes and they come to you and say, this is how much money you owe us. The notion that the government is putting money into my bank account without me having to do any paperwork to get it there is completely alien.
Speaker 3: So my like those guys, I like the people giving me my mind.
Speaker 4: My theory is that Australians are seeing and feeling how government is working for them, even in something as seemingly trivial as that little payment from Medicare when you go to the doctor. Now, I know that that's also been minimized over time, and that Medicare has become a shell of its former self, but nonetheless you're still getting that money in your bank account. In the US, you don't see how government works for you. You only see government saying you owe me this much for your taxes.
Speaker 2: I think it's right. I think the government worker bashing that's been going on, and we had lots of out louders when we spoke about it last time, like really upset about that. It's such a ridiculously broad term that pulls in so many different kinds of jobs, and this broad bashing of it. I think that what Australians here when they hear cutting government worker jobs is they think longer wait time, shittier service, all that stuff. And I think that kind of anti Canberra drain, the swampy kind of thing just doesn't play here, which is really interesting.
Speaker 3: After the break the seven point fashion rule that will change the way you get dressed in the morning.
Speaker 2: One unlimited out loud access. We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday exclusively for Mamma Mia subscribers. Follow the link in the show notes to get us in your ears five days a week. And a huge thank you to all our current subscribers.
Speaker 3: May is not here, but she will be calling in with an impassioned complaint because I'm about to bring a fashion topic to the podcast. Yes, and the day I become the fashion correspondent on the show is a sad day for us all. But I have a fashionable friend it's not Maya, and she told me about the seven point fashion rule over the weekend and suddenly everything makes sense. It has been doing the rounds on TikTok, and here's a bit of a summary.
Speaker 2: Getting dressed using the seven point outfit method.
Speaker 1: According to this method that I saw in TikTok, each article of clothing or accessory equals one point, and when you add up to seven points, you will have the perfect outfit. So my top in my bottom is both automatically give me one point each, and then we're going to add a pair of shoes, which is another point. Then I'm going to add this black and gold belt, which will give me my fourth point for this outfit. Then some gold jewelry to match the belt, and all of the jewelry is going to count as one point. And with all of that, we're still only at five out of seven points. So I'm going to add this black tope bag that I use as my backpack for school, and finally I'm going to add some sunglasses, which are also one point.
Speaker 5: Every item has a score of either one or two, depending on how much it adds to that. There are some examples of ones, think basic, solid color, normal, solo one, and here are some examples of twos. Think pattern, textured, interesting, silouette. Your goal is to get to at least seven and try not to exceed nine or ten.
Speaker 2: I would never stay within the nine or ten.
Speaker 3: No, she's at thirty eight every single day to you today, I think I'm two points, which is a record.
Speaker 2: I actually bracelets.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they count. The idea is that you've got your neutrals or your basics. So I'm wearing like a shirt dress. It might just be a shit, but I'm wearing it as a dress. That's one point. And I've got my shoes on, which is a plus for a Monday, so I've got my two points. Then there's statement pieces. Allegedly some people own something called statement pieces, which is like a pattern shirt or maybe you've got a skirt with a really good shape to.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: A designer handbag is apparently like that's two points, you'd hope, or like a chunky necklace or a belt. Look so if I've got my shirts one point, then.
Speaker 2: I underwear doesn't count.
Speaker 3: Doesn't count maybe if you can see it. But if I had a blazer, can you imagine me a blazer that's another one, a fancy bag, maybe some nice boots or something. Then I'm looking at a seven and then I look done. And if you're wondering why you chronically look underdone because you're not reaching your seven. And if you're like a Maya and you know the co Ko Chanell rule about take something off.
Speaker 2: Before you leave the mirror, turnaround, take it.
Speaker 3: Off because you're exceeding your seven? Does this make sense to you?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, some people just have it when it comes to fashion and some people don't. And I love fashion, but I'm in the latter camp. So I'm trying to find a leather jacket right now, And I keep sending links to Mia. She just keeps responding with no.
Speaker 3: That's not helpful.
Speaker 4: It's really hurtful, first of all. But as someone who is like a bit fashion clueless despite my love of fashion, I do love a fashion rule. Yes, have you heard of Amy Smileovic. She's the founder of Tibbi, which is this fashion brand out of the US about to become more expensive. She has a bunch of these fashion rules. I just wanted to run a few past you. Rule of three that means you need three key items or elements in your outfit. Related is her one ton or none rule, which means you can wear no color one color is a statement or a ton of color, which actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it, like you can't wear like bright red and bright blue without then adding bright green shoes. And then there's big slim skin, which means you need one element of each in your outfit.
Speaker 2: This is very confusing, but I've realized about the seven points. It's accessories, right, and I am terrible at accessories. Some people, like our much mentioned friend, me very good with accessories. I change my earrings once a month and then I forget about them. That's it. And my rings I wear every day, like I just I've got one bag and I wear it every day. The changing of accessories to go with every outfit, I think that is one of those two types of people. Yes, and whether probably one of the delineators about whether or not your because when we talk about clothes on the show, we often get like nice supportive ou Ladders will be like, but you look nice, Holly, you look nice, Jesse. But we all know that Mia is the one who thinks about it the most, tries the hardest at it, gets the most joy from it. So she feels very comfortable looking at us and going look at you, satellites. But I reckon, there's that delineation probably of whether did you think today when you put your like So I'm wearing a dress today and shoes. My dress is probably one, right, my shoes are red, so I might get.
Speaker 4: Two for those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're a two point shoe lady, because I love an interesting shoe. But then I've stopped. Whereas if I was any person you'd be waiting a fancy I would have looked in the mirror and gone, maybe a belt, maybe a bag, maybe a fascinatory morning. But it's accessories. How do you get good at that?
Speaker 3: Okay? So I think that this is what fashion people mean when they use a word I've never understood, and that word is elevated. Okay, they go, this just looks elevated, and they do things like roll up their sleeves.
Speaker 2: Yes, me is always telling me to roll up my sleeves.
Speaker 3: And I don't understand what elevated means. And I think that is because they own items that would qualify as a two pointer. I don't think I own an item that's a two pointer.
Speaker 4: I have to say that I did make one purchase recently that has changed everything for me. I heard this theory. I bought a belt.
Speaker 3: What kind of because before I thought, I don't have a belt stay up by themselves because I buy the correct size, Why do I need a belt?
Speaker 4: Also, as an older millennial often discussed on this show, we were told the belts were unfashionable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we went too hard on the belt and then we had to throw them out.
Speaker 4: Belts, creases, socks, these were all things that we were taught pleats. Rather, we were told we couldn't wear them. But I bought a belt, and I feel like, here's another fashion term.
Speaker 2: It pulls it all together, right, That's what I mean.
Speaker 3: And something going.
Speaker 2: He is going to be throwing the phone right now.
Speaker 3: So apparently in your wardrobe you're meant to have a one point section and a two point section. Ship yea, and my two point sections empty? Where are we meant to keep the accessories? Where do you keep your belt.
Speaker 4: I've only got one. I feel like this is like if we had me or explained tariffs, like, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 2: I've got a belt, how I keep it on a hook on the back of my door, and I forget it exists constantly every now and again, I got the belt? Does that work? It's like, yeah, Now I think accessory are the thing?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: On that note, and with MIA's hair on fire, a massive thank you to all of the outludders.
Speaker 4: That's our second album. 've been.
Speaker 2: Talk of hot cross buns and bread in pants and tariffs and I mean, I just I.
Speaker 3: Don't know who's light and shade.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome to your week, Welcome to Monday, and we will be back in your ears tomorrow. And thank you, of course to our wonderful team.
Speaker 3: Bye bye. Shout out to any Mom and Me a subscribers listening. If you love the show and you want to support us, subscribing to Mom and Mia is the very best way to do so. There's a link in the episode description