Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously disturbed laurels for spraying groundbreaking. Oh my god, you have to do it. You live for fashion. Hello, and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion problems and levels up your wardrobe. I'mill a Campberlon. Every week I talk to an expert who helps us work out how to get more out of the clothes we already own and tells us exactly what is and isn't worth adding to our wardrobe. Forget spring cleaning. Now is the perfect time to look at your wardrobe. Look at all your clothes, fall in love with what you love, get the dusty stuff from out the back, ask yourself why you're keeping it. But it can be hard, It can be incredibly overwhelming. I personally struggle with clearing my wardrobe out, and I try to do it all the time, but I've not nailed the method. So I've brought back someone who is ruthless and honest, and I love her advice. Nicoleber nithen Hines is a stylist. She has been in the fashion industry for decades, and she is honest. She's the type of person we need, so she's gonna teach us how and why to keep the things we keep. Nicole, welcome back. I feel like you were the only expert for this episode because you can be direct and ruthless.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can.
Speaker 1: I'm sort of having you come to all of our wardrobes and actually do the cleanup. We're gonna talk to you about clearing out our wardrobes. Where should someone start? Do you have a method that you recommend.
Speaker 3: I do sometimes when I have private clients.
Speaker 1: So do you do this for private clients? Yeap, Oh good to know. Yeah, it's not my favorite thing to do, though. It's the thing I don't like doing for myself. No, of totally. But don't you think it's easier for others because there's no sentimental Yeah, you're just down the line.
Speaker 2: I make you allergic to DustMite?
Speaker 1: Oh god, don't come to my house.
Speaker 3: Then closer to been like shoved in a couvered for years years is just full of it. Yeah, and I just spend the entire time sneezing and apologizing and blowing my eyes.
Speaker 1: Maybe they need to do a pre dust, So what's your method? Does it vary from client to client depending on their lifestyle, what they've got.
Speaker 3: Well, sometimes, just to make my life a bit easier, I'll say, why don't you do a little preliminary coal, okay? And if they've got no interest in that, then you know. And it depends how much a hoarder they are or not.
Speaker 1: And also how big their wardrobe is. Because I'm lucky my relatively new word rabbits about a year old is big. But the problem me is so I don't clear it out till it's bursting. But that's just way too want to close one person, Yeah, it really is. The methods. Say you're coming to my house, I need help. I don't know what to keep, what to get rid of? Are we doing piles? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: So sometimes I bring a spare rack, which not everybody has, and maybe it's just you know, the floor in the whole way.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yep.
Speaker 3: But I get them to show me what it is that they wear on the regular so it's their go to pieces.
Speaker 1: So our theory about the ten percent ninety percent the stuff they wear scent of the time pretty much.
Speaker 3: So I get them to pull those things out and then we start going through it.
Speaker 2: Icem buy, icem.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'll start and I'll just go, let's put all your pants together, let's put all your jackets together, let's put all your dresses.
Speaker 1: Together, because it might be a real mess, might at least in categories. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, sometimes they're just you know, everything, everything everywhere.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And then I'll just go through and I can be ruthless and for a startup, it's when was the last time you wore this?
Speaker 1: So do you ask questions that they've thought or do you just look and go, oh, hideous?
Speaker 2: Because sometimes I do that.
Speaker 1: Oh I did wonder because I think, like I said, we can't all have you there. But sometimes I need someone to go, look, why did you buy that? When did you buy that? Or where do you think you're ever going to wear that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they're good questions to ask, but i'd just more so I look at it and I go, well, is it all pill?
Speaker 2: Does it have holes in it? I mean that's that's round one basically.
Speaker 3: So round one is the things that I just awful, not because of anything, but just they're too wornly. It's just done, they're tired, and then round two will be how likely are you to ever wear this again? When was the last time you wore it?
Speaker 1: What does your life look like now that's different to how your life was when.
Speaker 2: You bought that things?
Speaker 1: Because lifestyle is so important, isn't it. If you're not going to lots of balls? Why if you've got fifty ball gowns?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And if they've sized up or down, I mean so many people, I'm going to keep that until I can fit it.
Speaker 2: Well, chances are you're not going to fit it.
Speaker 1: So speaking on size and whether things fit or not, are we trying things on? Not unless they're slightly redeemable. Okay, I can sort of tell if they're really it's not worth it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If they go, oh, I don't know, I don't really want to part with that. I gotta show me what they look like.
Speaker 1: Okay, scary? Can I tell you my method that is definitely not perfect, but I want to get your thoughts on it. Firstly, I've done this more than once and I'm never going to do it again. Do not pull everything out at once unless you do have someone that to keep you accountable that you're paying but I've pulled everything out and they've lost all steam and I've just left it all on the bed.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: So what works best for me? Because I do have a lot of clothes, I'll admit, and I do have ADHD, So I lose interest in a project halfway through. I try and do maybe the Blazers one week, Oh, I don't know dresses. Just cut it up into sections because I also get decision fatigue and then I'm like, oh, I'm confused, and then that lee that I'm being that day might not want that dress, but I feel different. So do you think it's the hay to do it over stages?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Definitely.
Speaker 3: I mean it's always better if you chunk a task, but then if you've got someone like me there, then you have to do it all in one go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's you've got a cheerleader. They're keeping you on track. Whereas I end up walking downstairs at the Crown On I've got a sequence bag and I was cleaning out my wardrobe. Then I use washing baskets as my piles.
Speaker 2: How many washing baskets do you have?
Speaker 1: So many? I don't know. I've got like fifteen. How many Internet what should I have one? What the plastic one that you walk to the washing machine with?
Speaker 2: Yes, why do you have fifteen?
Speaker 1: I don't know, that's so weird one. How many people I've got? Well, I've got a husband and child. I've got really great ones from Amason and they collapsible flat, so they one slides under my bed, one sides under the kid's bed, and so when it's time to end, do the washing basket. Well, this is obviously my problem volume. These are my piles keep obviously, and that usually just kind of stays in the water. But I won't pull it out donate, So that's you know, you're going to your Vini's or whatever my celf. So it's like I've treated myself to a beautiful scale in the feed or something a few years ago. Probably won't wear it again, but I don't want to donate it. I want to try and get a bit of money back.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I have a maybe pile. And that's when I just can't decide. It might be sentimental, it might be that it might not be in the right mood to make a decision. And then I have a try on like, oh those genes, am I making it too hard for myself. Do you reckon? No?
Speaker 2: I think that's pretty good approach.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'd say to people if they have a maybe pile and they really can't decide, I suggest if they've got a bit of room and a spare cupboards, yeah, put those things in there, and then see in reality, how many times do they go to that cupboard they have a period of X number of months.
Speaker 1: And if they've totally forgotten, yeah, like maybe put in your diary in three months check maybe cupboard. You're like, Oh, I forgot about those things clearly and want them.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean I've got literally more than half my wardrobes currently in storage and I've forgotten all of it.
Speaker 1: Oh but how exciting when you get to go back and play.
Speaker 2: Maybe I've got don't have enough cupet space?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I know. Well that storage is so much of this, isn't it? Because it really is dependent on storage. So key signs that a piece of clothing should be moved on, like you said, holes bold, just it's over lost in shape yep, not fitting too small, not fitting too big. How likely are your clients to tailor something?
Speaker 3: I mean I've got a pile of oh tailor it's worth tailoring, for sure.
Speaker 2: It's a really beautiful quality thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, that just needed to be fitted and it just needed someone to go put these in your car now and take them to the tailor.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's what you do because the thing is for me. Like there's certain items that I love Shambra shirts. I probably got fifteen, but there's three that I love. Some are too big, some are too small. So it's just letting go. It's just keeping the three. Yeah, stop trying to bind the perfect Chambra shirt. Choose your favorite and get rid of the ones because I'm never going to reach for those other ones.
Speaker 2: No you're not.
Speaker 3: I mean that's really silly, Like you're never gonna wear that's two weeks and a bit of Chambre shirts staff today, I know.
Speaker 1: But it's like one of my key stamles. Okay. So if you do have multiples of an item, yes, I mean, say you're quite a corporate office work, you might have more black pants than the average person. But I reckon there's probably some in there that when you go to pick your black pants, you're not reaching for a couple of those peers because they're not your favorites.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: So do you you know, do you think quantity is a problem with some clients or not enough of something, not in a variety, too many sombre shirts, not enough, too many different shirt fifteen.
Speaker 2: It's definitely too many shonpre shirts because.
Speaker 1: For me, I know when I definitely don't want something, and I know when I definitely do want to keep something. But it's the stuff in between that's like, oh that is quite a nice shirt. Yeah, I will wear that. Do you compare it back to what else is in your wardrobe?
Speaker 3: I think there are things that are worth having multiples of, like a pair of black pants, for example. I mean I've got high waisted black pants with pleats, black pants not with pleats, wide legged black plants, capri black pants. Yes, and they all have a purpose and I think it's worth hanging on to them.
Speaker 1: And do you wear them relatively frequently or the cell great condition?
Speaker 3: I wear them relatively frequently. Yeah, okay, yeah, I mean that's probably the only thing.
Speaker 1: Oh white shirts, Yeah, you know, so whatever your staple is, I mean you're wearing black pants and a white shirt.
Speaker 2: That works out maybe for me.
Speaker 1: My staples up jeans, shambra shirts, T shirt, so I do have more than I guess the average person, but I do wear them a fab Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I knew you wouldn't havever wear.
Speaker 1: Fifty No, because I reach for my top three. Yeah, you get rotation. Yeah, so get rid of the other. Why don't you put the maths here? Twelve in your spare cuppets. Okay, and see how you go back to it. This is how see what happens items that we haven't worn for a while. Do you have a hard and fast rule, you know how some people are like twelve months or turn the hangar? I mean it does it depend on the item? Because times we've got pretty dresses, but we haven't got a wedding to go to.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I feel like, you know, I've.
Speaker 3: Got a couple of really beautiful black tie dresses that wow, be like if I wear them once a year. But they're beautiful, I don't know, and they make you happy, But you just put them in the back corner of your cupboard, you.
Speaker 1: Know, they're not front.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the things that you wear every single day need to be in that spot where you can open it easily. And actually, just as another chip to the people out there, I'm currently renovating. Certainly, I'm not going to get more cupboard space.
Speaker 1: It's very upset design.
Speaker 3: I know it's just a no budget and be no room. But I'm staying with a friend and she has sliding door wardrobes.
Speaker 1: They are hell, They're not good, They're terrible. I mean they're good for if you you know the bed's right there, and you can't. Of course, maybe a third of.
Speaker 3: Your stuff you can't see anything like I do the whole open the doors and go, oh, there's that pair of mauve pants that look with great with that pink shirt over there, because you won't wear it if you can't see it.
Speaker 1: Correct. Your brain also doesn't know, but that's right. Finally, before we started recording, I said to you, I love those pants. I think I've got those pants, and we worked out we both have those pants. There's somewhere in the abyss for good. I had them, love them and almost would have bought similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but don't you have all your pants in one spot in your wood?
Speaker 1: Yes? I do, but there's just like a chunk of black and I just again need to do a clean out. That's what you're here for, to help all of us. You might have a lot of clothes. You might not have a lot of clothes, but if you're not wearing them, it's time for clean out anyway, regardless of volume, at least inspecting why or making a conscious decisions should it stay there for good reason or is it just taking up space? Yeah? And the liberation afterwards, that's something to look forward to, Okay, liberation, that's my goal. Sentimental pieces, Look, if you're not wearing them, what are you going to do with your wedding dress? For example, I sold my wedding dress straight away. Fatal not sentimental with clothing other things, I am. I've got a beautiful dress of my mum's from the seventies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I guess I allow myself a few sentimental items. But I'm like, oh, I wore that T shirt on my third date. Was rich, you know, because otherwise everything could become Yeah, it's hard, but I think you do have to just clench your eyes and yeah and put them in and in the pile that goes to goodwill or something. You're very timeless. You're all about quality and long wear, but some of us are into kind of hard and fast trends, What do we do with those pieces like hard because those things are much easier to part with because they're ship that I mean, I mean, if you're buying from Shine or those we're not. We're not say you've got you know, it's something that you love or loved that was very a few summers ago trend in terms of the zion And I always see what you're saying over right, yep, got it? What if we do, like, if you kind of feel like that'll while ago.
Speaker 3: If it's not the thing you donate, I guess it's going to be someone who's not up on the trends like you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. But also do you believe in that whole Maricondo thing of bringing you joy? Oh, you brought your joy two years ago, but it's done anymore, I know.
Speaker 2: But then you're bringing joy to someone who's really behind the time.
Speaker 1: But perhaps that when you can't decide, that's the filter you apply because they think there's a very black and white filter of yes, love, no, got holes terrible, but there's stuff in the middle. You try the joy filter.
Speaker 2: You could definitely try that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, timeless pieces, So you talked about, you know, black pants, white shirts, so meat's jeans and a T shirt. Do you always suggest we keep the same ones or is it even worth addressing the timeless pieces because shapes change?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, you've got to change your time with pieces. Yes, timeless, they're not.
Speaker 2: That timeless, but then it might be every ten years like it might be.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know one of those beautiful Maximra coats that's just gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It truly is timeless.
Speaker 2: That is pretty time.
Speaker 1: But also, say, let's say skinny leg you know, was in for so long now apparently coming back, but we're still doing white or straight. If you've got a really good quality pair of great skinny legs, you don't have to throw them all out. You know, maybe you wore a lot and you've got some cheapiees that have stretched. We get rid of those. But if you've got your beautiful levice, do we keep those? Do you reckon update you're going to buy a fresh one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that's just to take I mean, I'm spending a fortune on storage. The amount I'm going to spend on storage versus how much it would cost me to repurchase something down the track, I'm sure I'm overspending in.
Speaker 2: The storage arena.
Speaker 1: Oh I love storage though. That's such a good point, because you're right, if it's coming around every ten or fifteen years, you might want to update it anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you would, because you're not going to be the same shape. Yes, no, I think you would. Yeah, if it's a timeless thing. But but I do think timeless pieces need to be updated, you know. Yea, if it's a blazer, it might be double breasted, not single, might more fitted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's good. So even though it falls into a timeless category of maybe a trench or maybe whatever, you still need to analyze it.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: So. Oh lord, I've got a lot of work ahead of me. How often do you suggest people clean things out, like do this? What do you do? Well? About to do it again? In ordinary life? Do you move your winter two years? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I always.
Speaker 3: I just again, I've never had enough wardrobe space, so I always rotate seasonally and off season. My off season is in those bags that suck up.
Speaker 1: The vacuum back.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, they're good.
Speaker 1: Or anything. No, because there's no air so there's no moisture. Ever, Oh good, I need to do and then they can fit in drawers or those big plastic tubs. Yes, things like coats. You don't really want to do that too, but t shirt shorts, some knits structured, yeah, anything that's not structured or tailored really, yes, exactly, Yeah, I do that about now I'll get rid of all my winter stuff. Yeah, bring the summer stuff before I wash it all though, Okay, So wash it all and then store it? Well? Yeah, do you put your note you diy to remind you where it is or anything or not that person?
Speaker 2: You should?
Speaker 1: You should have a spot for it, not.
Speaker 2: Behind the fridge.
Speaker 1: I swear I had a navy niche and I got buy a new one and in the end of next week, fine, and wear a hit on my Okay. So we've done our piles, either with someone as wonderful as you or by yourself in the kind of interim or as a kind of a consolation prize of a gun of you. Do you ever suggest enlisting a friend? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think if you don't want to hire a person, then I think it's good to have a set of objective eyes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're going to do that honest. Yeah, someone who's honest but also wants to get in there and get the dust and get dirty, because you've got to get it done.
Speaker 3: You want someone who isn't going to be of a different you know, someone who loves florally things for example, and a bit aligned with your and understand your style.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, And then I could always go in the maybe pile. If you sometimes don't agree and don't want to get in a heated argument, you just go that's maybe until you leave. That's what I do, and then I put it all back. Say you've got stuff you've got to get rid of. Do you donate, do you sell? Do you do a mix of both.
Speaker 3: I've never had much success with selling, and it's just depressing how much.
Speaker 2: You can back there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've really got to have low expectations.
Speaker 2: So I really do.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's nice that they find a new home, but sometimes I just get impatient and I just shove it all in a bag and stick it in all of those bins.
Speaker 2: On the street.
Speaker 1: It's donating. Yeah, I know someone's going to go through the parl and go, oh my god, it's a center on bag. Oh my gosh. Don't you ever I do. I get to a point where I like I just can't even think about this anymore. Someone's going to be very excited sell things for you. Yes, you're only get half the price, but it's better than nothing. Yeah, I know. But if it's really trash, as my Centeroon bag was, I was just overseas and I got quite a trashed low Ova bag for one hundred and thirty five urom still online for six thousand, six hundred. Wow. I send it off to the bag sparts back. It's like new no way, yep. My suggestions because I like thrifting and I do have a big volume of clothes. I like to get shiny new things all the time. So I've had some success on eBay Again, anything online is a lot of questions. You've got to be mentally prepared for the back and forth. eBay deep op a lot of people use that deep but I feel like that's younger thing. Oh No, you've just got to find your circle. I don't think so. I mean there's beautiful designer on there, there's just you know, like your calls in your country road level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've just.
Speaker 1: Got to find the person.
Speaker 2: I don't know about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Facebook marketplace again can be a dumpsterfire, can be great. We did a swap in the moment of my office. Recently we all went and cleaned out of wardrobes. Everyone had sort of six weeks notice and we all brought in and the amount of items you brought in was the amount of tokens you got to then swap. But there's places before you throw out another Saint Laurent bag as a one that me uses all the time. I use what we wore. They did have a store in the Sydney Eastern suburbs, but now they're just online. They will take half, but at least you know geting something and you don't have to do all the back and forth and the trying on. Talk to me about storage. So we've cleaned out our wardrobe and then we want to make it more functional and I guess visible some of us might have sliding doors. What do you recommend We then put all the stuff we're keeping back so we wear it again.
Speaker 3: It's just about order. You don't wear something if it's not orderly. So I like to put things in their categories. So you have black pants together, or your blue pants together, or your cotton casual pants together. Yes, whatever your categories are, or your blazers and the rest of the stuff, just.
Speaker 1: You know, see you later, see you later. Wow, you're so ruthless. Do you ever argue with the client about not argue? But are people harder to convince because they have that emotional attachment to their things?
Speaker 2: Sometimes?
Speaker 3: I mean, at the end of the day, drag it and run away, And I say, well, I'm here because you've hired me to be here, so you can take my advice or not. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure they do what you do with your friend, though they probably just go, Okay, I'll take it to the goodwill And then it's.
Speaker 1: Why you're so good at this and I'm not because I think I don't want to let that go and I haven't examined why why do I I want to keep it? Where am I planning or wearing it? The amount of imaginary dress up parties I'm going to in my field, Wait to a dress up party. I have not been dressed up ten years. Okay, so we're clearing out our wardrobes. I want you to ask, on average with your clients, is it that they have too much stuff and need it, or that they just haven't identified the holes or the gaps in their wardrobe. Why are people needing this service? Well, the people that I work with, generally it's not a priority. They don't think that about their wardrobe. Yes, I mean they know they have.
Speaker 2: To get dressed obviously, but they've got other stuff that's more sure.
Speaker 1: So they might be corporate, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And some of them are hoarders, you know, they.
Speaker 1: Just kind of get it and keep it and there's just another task they never get to it, and or some of them are emotionally attached to all these crazy things. You know, Oh, this is a dress I wore on my first date when we met. It's a disgusting DKM.
Speaker 2: Why dress or something?
Speaker 1: Do you say that?
Speaker 2: Moving on?
Speaker 3: Oh well, I'm probably less tactful than that. I would say, no, you don't need this. Yeah, well you don't need it. I mean it is beautiful and sentimental. You've got that memory, probably had a photo.
Speaker 1: You don't need to keep the dress because by applying that filter to everything, you would live in piles of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah you would.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, what's your one takeaway for people that are feeling overwhelmed by the thought and also say you're not there? This is what I wonder because Holly, who is one of my colleagues. She recently did it and she messaged me, goes, God, this takes a long time. Do you think people underestimate the effort that you need.
Speaker 3: Well, again, it depends on how much stuff they've gotten. Heart and they cull. But I think your idea is good. Just break it down into I'm doing these two drawers today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't feel too overwhelming. No, I think any task is more achievable if you break into chunks.
Speaker 2: I used to say that to my kids with their studying.
Speaker 1: Okay, I need to hire you. It's not that dusty. I promise you'll just drown on the piles of.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll do anything other than my own wardrobe. I'll come and look at yours any day. Thank you, it's my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Nothing to Wear Now, don't forget. There's also a fantastic Nothing to Wear News that are You should subscribe because it's free. We've popped a link in the show notes if you'd like to sign up, And we love nicob Andeithen Hines. In case you didn't notice, here at Nothing to Air. So if you'd like to listen to some more for very excellent advice. We've linked to other episodes of this podcast in the show notes. See you next week. This episode was produced by Grace Ruverrey with audio production by Leu Hill. This podcast is powered by our subscribers. If you believe in independent women's media and want to support us, there's a link in the show notes, and a big thank you to all our current subscribers.