Speaker 1: True crime Conversations acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast was recorded on. It was a quiet Tuesday morning in the Canadian city of Toronto. Heather was straightening up her downtown condo, just starting her day. It was another busy one. She's a real estate broker, always on the move. This morning's task was a simple one. Finally get those kitchen cabinets fixed. The hinges had been loose for weeks, and the building manager had recommended someone, a handyman named Jace. Right on time, there was a knock at the door. Heather opened it to find a man in his early forties, relaxed, athletic toolbag in hand. He had that kind of calm, casual confidence that immediately puts people at ease. He introduced himself with a smile that seemed to land exactly where it was meant to. Heather led him in, grateful to have one less thing to worry about on her to do list. As he worked, they chatted small stuff, favorite neighborhoods, local coffee shops, the never ending strange charms of condo living. He was easy to be around, funny present, the kind of guy who made it easy to forget how long he'd been alone. But while Jace tightened her cabinet hinges, his phone silenced and faced down buzzed steadily on the counter beside him. Because Jace wasn't just a handyman. He was actually Jason Porter, a serial romance scammer known for slipping into women's lives, winning their trust, and then disappearing with more than just their hearts. Heather hadn't heard about him yet, but she would in that moment. She had no idea how much damage he could do, or how close she already was to becoming his next target. I'm Claire Murphy and this is True Crime Conversations, a podcast exploring the world's most notorious crimes by speaking to the people who know the most about them. Jason Porter scammed dozens, potentially hundreds of women across Canada over more than a decade, using romance scams as his primary method. He targeted women mostly through dating apps like Plenty of Fish, Eharmonymatch dot Com, and Bumble, often using fake names like Jay Stone, Donato, and Mike. At the peak of his romance scam campaign, he had hundreds of women on the hook, and when Heather unknowingly stumbled into the midst of this complex ring of broken hearts waiting to happen.
Speaker 2: She would stop dead in her.
Speaker 1: Tracks, seeing again and again words that she thought meant only for her, repeated over and over and over again, each unsuspecting victim falling for the exact same charm that she had. While many women do not report being scammed by someone who gets to them via dating apps, Heather said the shame. I'm taking this guy down, even if it's the last thing I do. But getting there would not be easy, and Jace still had some tactics left up his sleeve to try and once again get away with innocent women's money while breaking their trust. Heather stars in the Amazon Prime documentary Who the Heir Is Jason Porter and talks to us now about the man she thought she loved, the man who she would help put behind bars. Heather, thank you so much for joining us today after watching rom Con. I think the overarching feeling we've gotten from seeing you talk about your experience of being targeted by a romance scammer is like you are such a boss lady, like you've been through the actual worst and used it as feel for the fire like it.
Speaker 2: Do you feel.
Speaker 1: After your experience of not only what you went through with Jason Porter, but also filming this documentary, do you feel stronger on the.
Speaker 2: Other side of your experience.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I do. After making the documentary and going through the criminal justice system, I really feel like I took one of the worst things that has ever happened to me in my life. Well, actually know, let me rephrase that this meeting, meeting Jay's at the beginning was great, but when I learned the truth, that's probably the worst thing in terms of something being unfair, and by reclaiming it, it just it's given me my power back. You know, I don't want to be Nobody wants to wake up and be a victim. So if you can take that victim hood and make it victorious, it's it's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go back to when you did first meet Jays because the way you describe it in the documentary, Rome Con is like every woman's fantasy.
Speaker 2: It's like romances that.
Speaker 1: We read in books like can you explain to us how he like initially grabbed your attention and kept hold. Yes, it was like a Hollywood meet cute, you know, there.
Speaker 3: I opened the door and there's this super cute guy. He wasn't His predecessor was this chubby Eastern European guy named ole egg Or Olaf and so I wasn't expecting to open the door and just he's such a cutie and he chase. I guess I could still say it in the present. He is. He was so charming and so flirtatious and not knowing who he was, and that that's all part of his game. It's easy to get hooked in, to get pulled into that, because I've never had from the first day we met to when we went on our first date, it was about two and a half week lag, and I have every single text message he has ever sent me and the in between it was that was some of the spiciest, most flirtatious texts we've ever sent one another back. And I thought it was me and I was so special, But then learning that that's what he said to Tiffany, and that's what he said to Leslie, and that's what he has on his online chats. It's his bible. I guess, it's his you know, his playlist in a way, and he obviously like it works. It worked. I was, I was googly eyed. I was on cloud night for weeks and months and even years with him.
Speaker 1: I think that's what really like felt like a knife to the gut when watching this all unfold was when they do put up the comparisons between what he was saying to you and what he was say saying to others, which really matched almost word for word. But then the story you tell about the night of your first date when he first kisses you, is also the same story shared by the other women, And that feels like such an intimate and special moment. Can you just talk me through first your first kiss with him, and then how it feels to know that that exact same scenario has played out for I mean, not even knowing how many other women.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we had gone out for dinner and it was summer, so we walked. He came on his motorcycle and we walked to a restaurant and walked home, and he had left, you know, the motorcycle, helmet and the infamous backpack in my place, and so we went up and I just remember I actually had Baxi, my little dog that's in the documentary. I was holding him and we were sort of shuffling in the door way, and it was one of those like oh, like is he going to kiss me? Should I kiss him? And I don't know what came over in me, but I leaned in and just kind of went And that's when he took Baxter, plopped him on the ground, dropped his helmet, dropped his backpack, and literally pushed me up against the wall. And when I say, it left me breathless, and it left me weak. And then I have ever been kissed like that. When I heard Tiffany's story, which was I think around the same time as my first kiss, I was floored. I it is wild that he did the same thing to me, to her, to who knows how many other women. For so many years, I thought I was so special and that he made me feel special because every day, day and day out, I would hear You're the love of my life. You he he would call me all the time throughout the day. And when I was making I love you, BUYE, I love you, BUYE, I love you BUYE. When you're told I love you, I love you, I love you, you feel very special. So to hear that my whole love story is just a move. He has that he's perfected. It's pretty got wrenching, but you know, to learn that I really wasn't special sucked. I'm not gonna lie like, it really was awful. But to rosso realized that any of the problems in the relationship weren't me was also really kind of liberating. I remember one day after learning the truth, I called my mom and I was kind of laughing crying. I was like, oh my god, it wasn't I didn't mess this up, Like, it wasn't me, it was him. So from that perspective, it was so bad. But you know, to be honest, it took me a long time just to make sense of it and to make peace with it. And there's still some days where I'll say, it's like impossible to make sense of something so sounds less.
Speaker 1: I think what people want to understand the most out of this, and especially for people who've been caught out before, is where were you because you met him in twenty eighteen. So what was the twenty eighteen version of Heather looking like? Because from what I can gather, she was pretty happy being solo and living life and being successful and wasn't looking for a relationship at that point in time, and in fact, you'd been single for quite a while by that stage. So what made you the perfect victim for Jason Porter?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What did he see in you that made you a good target?
Speaker 3: I think what made me a good target for him was robbably that I coupled his like for every it's like chest right like, for every move he did, I would meet him there in the beginning, right like, So if he flirted, I flirted back because I thought at first it was just a game until it started getting serious. But once we became physical and intimate, I was gone because there were so many of those like feel good hormones raging through my body that I couldn't even see straight. So and like I say in the documentary, like all of a sudden, like the little things in life, he just had this way of making everything so much fun, whether it was going on the motorcycle or going to the grocery store or just now of a sudden, it's like, oh my gosh, I have somebody just to you know, make dinner and sit on the couch with Like it was quite It was a nice welcome change from being solo. Heather, and now I all of a sudden had somebody I could talk to about my day and talk to about work, you know, like I I. I had been in and out of a relationship before I met him, and I had this, you know, like a comfort flanket kind of friend, you know, not really, I don't like the term friends with benefits, but I did have somebody in my life that while the into the the physical intimacy with that person was gone, I still had him as a friend. Yeah, Jace, just I don't know, he just when you're I'd never felt like that before. I had never had somebody also so quickly and openly and brazenly declare their love for me and tell me how incredible. I was like, it's messes with your brain, but it also, not knowing what he was doing, it felt incredible. Why wouldn't I want to see where this went? I remember, probably like a month after meeting him, walking down the street and I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while, and she was like, oh my god, you're glowing like I'm in love. I'm in love, like I owned being in love like a new badge. I was just like, you gotta fall in love. It's the best thing ever because it felt incredible, and it's sad that it really wasn't real, but in the moment it arn't knowing it was great.
Speaker 2: What did he creative himself?
Speaker 1: Because he span a lot of stories that created this vision of who Jay s Peretti as he called himself. They're not Jason Porter, Like, what was he telling you about himself? And if you could explain to how that didn't just reel you in, but also your friends and family to a point too, because he was creating this version of a human that didn't exist, which was quite appealing to everybody.
Speaker 3: I think with Jess, I'd like to think that when he was in prison as Jason Porter, you probably had a lot of time to sit around and think, and I think he crafted up these tall tales. So when he first got out of federal prison, he changed his name from Jason Porter to Jason Parati. And then by the time I met him, Parati had morphed into Parati. And when I met him that day that first stay at my condo, and he right away told me he had gone to the University of Waterloo and he was really a software engineer. But because of what he was navigating with the family court system, he was just taking a break from corporate world. So when he would share his tall tales of living in China and living in Japan and working at this job, being in my mid to late forties, I have a lot of that back then, Like I have a lot of successful friends. I was successful, I am successful. So they were believable stories. So, you know, for him to say, oh, I lived, I worked at this company and I lived in China, well, of course you did. Why wouldn't you, You know, I have been I think, like most people, like, I meet people and I don't think right off bout oh he's lying there, they're not. You know, you take people at their word, at their face value. So of course I believed him that he had all these great stories. I mean even you know, the way he wooed my mom was, you know, both my parents are really into history, and the stories of his both his Italian grandparents fighting for the Allies in World War Two. Literally one of the stories that he told us it's exactly the same as the Great Escape, that famous movie. Wow. Okay, yeah, And my mom even said that one night at dinner, She's like, sounds like the Great Escape. He's like, it is like the Great Escape, but that was my grandfather. They based that on him and all those other people, and we're like, oh wow. I mean it's now that we know who he is, it's completely far fetched and alive. But at the time we were just like, wow, like he just you know, they say sometimes there's like nuggets of truth in the lies, but most of his stories I think they're from books, movies, who knows, but it's pretty much all lies.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you said he probably had some time in prison to really think about things and spin these stories in his own mind. But I imagine, like a young man doesn't just wake up one day and he's really great at making women believe that he's this amazing, wonderful boyfriend. Material Like, any idea where he might have learnt this behavior or is there any idea from like his family. Have they ever spoken about maybe what he was like when he was a younger man. Do you have any concept of where he would have learnt this behavior?
Speaker 3: You know, I've never spoken to anyone in his family. I would love to.
Speaker 2: Even though you're together for quite a few years.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, Oh, that definitely, I mean, but that was also like, now that's a glaring red flag that I've never met his family, but he again, he had when I would say, like, what's up with your brother? Why can't we meet? You know, let's go meet your brother, he had a whole story as to why we weren't you know, why him and his brother were estranged right now, And he had this way of like turning it around. So then you just felt so bad for kind of stirring the pot and making him feel bad, you know. But that's what gaslighting is. But I didn't know that at the time. I have no idea because he does have a brother who I've never met, but I've learned enough about him since to know, like his brother is a normal person with a wife and kids. Like how can a family have one child who's so mendacious and one who's normal. I mean, I don't know. I'd love to one day learn the tr ruths to all his backstory. But you know, his parents are dead. I actually, through our whole relationship, was under the impression that his biological father was still alive, because he used to talk about his dad as if he were still alive. But any parental figure in his life is gone, you know, And that's The other question with all this, are these psychopaths born this way or is it a learned behavior?
Speaker 1: I don't know, he said, like that was an obvious red flag and the beauty of hindsight as you can probably identify a ton of red flags now looking back. But where any of your friends or family noticing suspicious behaviors during the start of your relationship. Did anyone ever say to you, maybe this guy's not quite right?
Speaker 3: No? I mean, in the documentary, my good friend Kristen shares how she would talk to him at length about she would grow him on China because she goes to China or she used to a lot, and for as she says, for a guy who lived in China for two years to no Mandarin and know really nothing. To her, it was suspicious. But you know, nobody told me because I think I was just so happy, Like I was really happy, and I don't think anyone wanted to burst my bubble, so they just sort of kept their thoughts to themselves. Had they shared this with me, I would like to think I would have listened, But it's hard to say, right because you know, with Kristen, he made it very clear how he felt about her. He and he would say things like, I don't think she's a good friend for you. She's not a healthy person. So he would flip it around, so I would start to question my friendship. She's one of the most loyal people in the world, Like we're still very, very close to this day. I adore her. You know, it's crazy to think that that's what they do. They weaponize everything, love, friends, family, They isolate. I mean, it's one of their tactics. They do, try to isolate you, and in our case, the pandemic that perfectly into it, you know, And I mean, there's it's crazy to me, Like there's times where I've wondered, did he have some insight into what was happening with the world before the rest of us, because we were, you know, that whole Italy trip. We were supposed to have gone to Italy early March, like two weeks before the world shot down, but he about a month before we were supposed to go. You know, he came home one day and he was like, oh my god, you know, the family court is now happening when we're supposed to go to Italy. So it's all just I don't know, It's like it's just to this day all a bit of a mystery. But yeah, he's I don't know, like was he born that way? I don't know. Maybe.
Speaker 1: Up next, Heather describes what life was like once she and Jason moved in together, and how more cracks in his story.
Speaker 2: Started to show when the pandemic hit.
Speaker 1: You move in together, and so you're spending like really long periods of time to start within a small apartment together, and then you move into a bigger property further out of the city. But I imagine it would have been more difficult for him to cover up because it's not like he stopped being a scammer for other women during the pandemic. In fact, it continued on just as it did beforehand. But he's not as free to physically.
Speaker 2: Spend time with other women.
Speaker 1: But it would have been harder for him to cover his tracks while you are in a small space with him at all times, Like, did you ever see any anything that made you wonder or think it was he really just that good at keeping things separate because he was doing so many things at once, which is what I think really surprised me that he's able to keep so many women on the hook. Manipulating so many taking things from them like physical items, but also you know, money and lots of other things, Like how is he managing all of that whilst also existing in a pandemic state with you?
Speaker 3: So even like before the pandemic, I remember, it would have been probably in the first six months of our relationship, you know, with his backstory being that he had worked in China. He came home and he's like, oh, I've picked up a small contracting gig for that company, but because of the time change, I'm going to have to like stay up late. I'm like, okay, So I would go to bed at a normal time and he would stay up half the night. So I think that's when he would be engaging with a lot of these you know, he probably then had the app but who's kiddingho like he's addicted to his phone. Probably when he went to the bathroom, he would have his phone and be on the apps texting people. But you know, when we hit lockdown, Within probably two weeks of the lockdown or less, he started looking for a moonlighting job, as he called it, and he was able to because not I don't know what it was like in Australia, but in Canada, you know, certain things were deemed essential services, and I think construction I believe must have fallen into that because he was able to get a moonlighting, cash paying job working renovating a nightclub. Just next door to Toronto is a little a smaller city called Mississauga, so he was going out to Mississauga. So that gave him also a lot of freedom to claim he was, you know, working late or doing this or doing that, and go on dates. And there was one weekend in there that I remember, and this isn't in the documentary, so I'm probably not supposed to talk about it, but the guys who hired him for the nightclub, apparently they were having a guy's weekend to go and race sports cars and motorcycles at a track east of the city. And I was like, go, like, you know, go have fun. Why not, it's a guy's weekend. But it wasn't a guy's weekend because after the article came out, a woman emailed me and it was confirmed that that guy's weekend he was actually with another woman. So I think, to answer your question, the pandemic actually gave him more power more, you know, if anything, my guard would be even more down because I'm locked up and what am I going to do? So I never I never questioned what he was doing. Never in a million years thought he was cheating on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it cheating if he was never really in that relationship in the first place?
Speaker 2: Maybe not. After the pandemic, you're spending a bit.
Speaker 1: Of time out on your parents' farm, and one day your mom notices that a lot of her jewelry is missing, stuff that had been in a safe that was unlocked from her rooms.
Speaker 2: In the beginning.
Speaker 1: It's very much like no one is even considering that Jace might have taken these things, And in fact, your mum talks in the documentary about confronting the cleaner about it, who told her that Jace had taken them, and she still couldn't believe that that was the case. When you heard that from your mum what the cleaner had told you, did any part of you at any stage start to consider that maybe it was him, or were you so happy and stable in that relationship that you thought that there was no way that could potentially.
Speaker 3: Be what happened. My mom never told me about confronting the cleaning lady when it was happening. It was. I learned about it after the fact that the cleaning lady had quit. We were all surprised when I got into the computer and started seeing you know, emails for like this ring, that brace, like it was. I could not believe what I was seeing. I think because again he was with my mom's stuff, Like none of us wear all our jewelry all the time, right, So I don't think she noticed it was happening until one day she noticed it.
Speaker 2: So this could have been going on for months.
Speaker 3: I do you know it was going on for months and months because of some of the evidence I found, it was dated as such. Right, the first thing that went missing actually was in the fall of twenty nineteen. That's how long I was going on for. And yeah, I think Jace probably figured out like where the things were kept, and you know, like that little safe was, and when we would go for a visit or he would you know, go up on his own, and my mom would be like, you know, here's the key, here's the alarm code, let yourself in, make yourself a coffee. Because she trusted him. I think it was so easy. He was like a kid in a candy store. He couldn't help himself. He would just go and take one thing and then he could sell it and he'd have a bit of money, and then he would take another thing and sell it. So it took. It wasn't until like that one day that they really went through all the bags and they were like, oh my god, it's and when we still didn't know what it was Jase until like a couple months later, after all that happened, like it was. It was shocking. It was shocking. I couldn't. I didn't. I didn't have the heart to actually tell my parents it was Jase. I made my sister do it because I was so upset. I was devastated. I was devastated, and I my sister had come to my house and Aurora with her boyfriend, and I was like, Jenny, you have to tell her. I can't. I didn't have the heart. I was so ashamed. I was so like I brought the monster into our home.
Speaker 1: That must be so hard to still come to terms with that. Can see during the documentary how emotionally difficult it is for you to think about that.
Speaker 3: It really really is. And yeah, there's the part in the documentary where my mom says when he's she realized her both her wedding bands were gone. It's like part of her marriage, the memories of her marriage are gone. And you know, now, especially with my dad not being here, that's that's the worst thing. Like when I said earlier, learning that my life with Jase was a lie, that was like a really awful, awful thing, But it's losing your parent is like such a different kind of pain. I mean, I would take the pain of what I discovered with Jase over and over again if it meant my dad were still here. And when we finally were going through the court and he, you know it said he did. Eventually, after three years and three months, he pled guilty. We got to read victim impact statements and both of us would say, it's not the monetary value of what he stole, it's that it's the memories, Like we're never my mom's never going to get that back, none of us are. There's nothing for her that you know. Every time my dad would give her something, it was a representation of an anniversary or a birthday or a trip like to commemorate that memory. And now that's all gone, and there's nothing to pass on to my sister or myself or my niece, like there's no heirlooms anymore. He Jace wiped that out. And I remember I was at a movie with my parents and one of the preview ads was for Tiffany and my mom like gasps, like that's my ring and I wanted to just die like it was awful. No amount of time in jail will make that better, you know. So it's and even though he has to pay my mom restitution when he eventually gets out, which good luck. I don't know how help. Yeah, it doesn't matter, Like I don't even think she would keep the money. I think she'd give it to charity, because it's not it doesn't I don't know. It's something you could. You know, my therapist and I talk about this a lot. It's that radical acceptance. You don't have to like it, but you have to accept that it happened.
Speaker 1: After the break Here the talks about logging into Jason's email and seeing endless conversations with other women on dating apps. Can you take us into your mind the day that you figure out his password to his Gmail account and you start to see exactly what he's been up to, Like what is happening in your brain? When you first start to see all the conversations with all these women, a lot of it sounds very familiar, and you can see the sheer volume of conversations he's having on incredible amounts of dating apps and sites, and like take us into your mind then when you're just discovering what has actually been happening in your relationship.
Speaker 3: The first thing I did when I got in the computer and I started seeing all this, I called him my first instinct. I picked up the phone and I called him because I was what it made no sense to me, and although you know, things had been a little rocky, you know, was still very much committed to my relationship with him and my life with him. And I was like, oh my god. And he didn't answer. So then I was left in my own devices for hours, and I took I realized I took pretty coppy screenshots. I've since mastered it. But it was almost like that feeling when your your stomach comes up in your throat, because it's like the room kind of started spinning, and I think maybe it was shock. That's what like a low grade shock must feel like. Because I it, I was like flabert like I am right now, trying to describe it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at all, Like it blew my mind. It's almost like I feel like I got split in half because there was part of me that's like, this is insane, and oh my god, I'm in love with this person. Like how it was just black and white, there was no gray in that moment, and it was so awful. It was I didn't want to believe it, and I think I say on the documentary too, I just I didn't know what to do. I couldn't believe when I got into the one of the dating apps, like his actual profile, It's not like he was talking to two or three women. It was hundreds of every age, every ethnicity, like and always like oh my god, you're so beautiful, hey beautiful, And I'm like, oh my god. That I would walk through our house in Aura and he'd be like, hey beautiful, Hey beautiful, Hey beautiful. In that moment too, it's like everything that I thought to be like the kiss, like everything that I thought to be special and true about my relationship was just a line and a lie. You know. I don't know would it be easier if I had just gotten in the computer and saw he was cheating with one person that would really hurt and that would suck, but it would be like, oh okay, but it's hundreds of people that he's talking to. It's very he's a predator. And then to you know, go down my rabbit hole and realize Jace Paratti aka Parati is actually Jason Porter. The original online Romeo was shocking, shocking.
Speaker 2: I think what's so.
Speaker 1: Incredible about this documentary, rom Con is that there's actual footage of you from this period when you are discovering, and you can see the sheer amount of emotions that you are experiencing in that moment. I mean, you are terrified, you are angry, upset, like all the gamut of emotions, and you say police do get involved, and it seems like they're pretty dismissive of the things that you're telling them. Initially, and as you said, you had to leave your house even though you know he was the one who had you know was a convicted criminal, which you just figured out.
Speaker 2: And that he was still committing crimes.
Speaker 1: And then it seems like, I don't know, this rod of steel grows in your spine and you sit down and they're like no, I'm not going to let this man get away with what he's done, not just to me, but to all these other women. What do you think was happening to you in that moment, Because women especially who were caught out by romance scammers notorious. You feel really shameful about it and very embarrassed, and that is completely understandable. It is you've not just taken advantage of financially, You're taking an advantage of someone emotionally, which I think is sometimes harder to recover from.
Speaker 2: Than a financial knock.
Speaker 1: What do you think it was about you in that moment that you were like, he'll no, this guy's going to pay.
Speaker 3: I think I very much became like a dog with a bone, like I wasn't going to let this go. I wanted answers, I wanted Look, I would still love to be able to talk to the brother and like find out what went wrong in your childhoods that he turned out this way. But I think it's when the police were just so dismissive with me that it gave me even more purpose to keep going. Like I I think in a way, after the article came out, I just was tunnel visioned to keep going and keep learning. And in a way he made it easy because he just kept the criminal justice thing rolling along and rolling along, which gave me even more ammo and anger to just get to the bottom of it. Like I just wanted just to serve for what he did to us, but I equally wanted to try and expose him so he couldn't do this to anyone else. And it's incredible how many people have reached out to me to say, like, I know, I know, it's he never stopped. Now he's finally stopped because he's finally in jailed. But if I were twenty years younger and I had gone through this, I probably would have just remained in the shame and licked my wounds and been like, oh, that sucked. But in the middle of all this, I turned fifty, and I couldn't have peace with myself if I just let it go. I just had to. I had to get the answers, and to be honest, I still don't have all the answers. There's still quite a few pieces of the puzzle missing. I hope with the documentary that perhaps it might bring more people forward who were affected by him. But somewhere along this journey too. By reclaiming my power and taking charge of the story line and working on the documentary and having so many incredible people want to bring my story to light, it's given me even more confidence that I know I'm doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Hey, you touched on something there.
Speaker 1: It's incredible because while the court system was very slowly grinding away with this case, as you mentioned it took three years or more, like he was.
Speaker 2: Still on the dating apps.
Speaker 1: This was happening like people you know and who were keeping an eye on things and researching, and yourself for finding him still putting profiles up on these dating apps whilst he was going through criminal charges Like that seems wild to me, like if you are facing a jail term and yet you're still doing the crime.
Speaker 3: But isn't that what makes him like a psychopath? Mm? Because he doesn't have This guy has no remorse, he has no empathy, he has no conscience. I don't think he. I can't speak for him, but it from what I've observed, it's like, on one hand, he's going through criminal court and then he's probably going on a date that very night with somebody. It's like to him there too, it's you know, on our first date, he talked to me about how he puts everything in boxes. And I know men more than women, they can compartmentalize their emotions a bit better. So I chalked it up to some of his behavior through our relationship. I was just like, oh, he's compartmentalizing. But when the truth came to light, I was like, oh my god, it's like he has, you know, this memory in this box and this one in this box. So this current situation is this box and this one's this box, and he just pulls it out and opens it when he needs it. I don't think you said something else earlier. And it was interesting, Jace really drank. If we went out for dinner, he might have one drink, whereas I love wine, like I could you know, I'm not going to drink a whole bottle. And now I realized when the truth came to light, I think he would do that on purpose too, because you know, there's that saying loose lips sinks ships.
Speaker 2: So we had to keep these ducks in a row exactly.
Speaker 3: And so you know, all of the other women in the documentary, all of our stories are the same, but with like a little bit of you know, he might have told this woman and you know I was wearing a blue sweater and with me it was a green sweater. Like there's little differences, but overall it's the same sort of story, and I think he has to It must be exhausting being him, like how many people has Like you'd have to think who have I told this to? Who have I told that too? So he has to keep it pretty tight, like it's it's crazy, it's he's pretty well.
Speaker 1: I think that is really evident when you're going through the court proceedings and there's that moment where you see the people coming out but too quickly, and you're like, hang on, what's happened? And then you find out that there's some allegations of tampering because flyers were left on cars allegedly by yourself telling people, warning people about him. But then it turns out like that's another lie that he's tailing in court.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, he showed up in court and lied to a you know, a superior court judge, a crown attorney, his own attorney. It's crazy. Yeah, it's I think I say in the documentary, you know, during Lockdown, we watched I think almost every Law and Order because yeah, like I used to joke, I'm like I broke Netflix, like I broke the Internet TV because we watched so many shows. But somehow he got the idea, you know, between the flyers didn't come that date, Like everybody left court that day, and then it was two days later when court resumed that the flyers mysteriously like were found, and it gave so that little interlude gave him time to like and scheme and be like, how can I get out of this? You know, it was his hail Mary, because yeah, and it's crazy if you think about it, somebody would actually go that far to do it, But I mean people do all kinds of crazy things.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about his sentence?
Speaker 1: Because he will send its to two years in prison, three years' probation, and then, as you mentioned, he does have some cave. It's like he does have to pay your mum restitution for the stolen jewelry, and he also has to report to his probation officer every time he's in a new romantic relationship, which is going to be interesting to see how that's tracked after he gets out of prison. But like, how do you feel about that sentence because I guess from an outsider's perspective, it doesn't seem like a lot considering the amount of damage he did to so many people.
Speaker 3: I agree, and in fact, the judge gave more time than the Crown was asking for because I guess in Canada, I don't know what it's like in Australia, though we all come from British law, like our courts follow that system. But apparently in Canada it's miraculous that he even got the time he did. When you look at just if you're looking at just what was stolen, people don't go to jail for that long for stealing, you know things.
Speaker 1: That's the thing too, because he's charged with theft, but not really about all the other stuff.
Speaker 3: Because we didn't have all the evidence. And when he erased the computer that night after the police left a lot of stuff that I had screenshotted but had not retrieved off the computer got erased. Yes, so I think it was. In the end, it was like two counts of theft over five thousand and one count of crime over five thousand, which is great because again in Canada there's like theft and crime under five thousand is like one set of charges and then anything above five thousand becomes another. But I mean, the truth is, like I said, he is, he's still has three other outstanding criminal cases in three different areas, one being Leslie's watch, the other being these new charges. And there's something else that happened in twenty twenty two that I still don't even know what that's about. It has nothing to do with me. So he still has more charges, which I hope it adds more time on because also the way it works in Canada is it's crazy that I know this now, but he got two years less one day you go to provincial jail. Anything over two years you go to federal prison. Either way, neither are good, Like I don't think you want to be in either of those institutions. But I would love to see more time thrown at him for these other crimes that he's done. But I also think, you know, I heard somewhere when these guys like him go to prison jail, it's like college for criminals, and he's going to meet other scammers and other people while he's locked up, and he'll maybe come out with some new ideas, some new EMMO. Who knows. I don't know how effective the whole system is, Like, I don't know if people like him ever get fully rehabilitated. Yes, he deserves to be locked up, and I'm very glad he is, and I do feel like some justice was served, but it was I was hoping he would get like at least ten years and come out on an old man, but that didn't happen.
Speaker 1: How do you now start to rebuild and recover and step away from this? Because I presuming you can't fully ever step away from it with the sheer number of people who are attached to Jason Porter and you really being the face of his crimes now, I guess you're contacted by I don't know how many people on the regular who have been impacted by him, But like, can you step away from it now?
Speaker 2: Can you recover?
Speaker 1: And do you ever have another romantic relationship for as long as you live? Like, how do you move on from these?
Speaker 3: Well? I am dating and I'm very happy nice been seeing a lovely, lovely man, but it's been very slow because it is. It has been hard. It's really interesting. I talked to Leslie a lot about him and dating because she's gone through it too, and it takes time to it. Some days in the relationship it's like one step forward, two steps back, one step forward too, and it's it's not him, it's me, and I fully own it. And he gets in and thank God, he's so loving and patient and sees what I've gone through and he just wants to, you know, be supportive and make my life better. But it's it takes time, you know. I'm glad it's been over three years, right, so I've given myself a lot of time to process. But to answer the first part of the question, I still find myself going on the court dockets seeing when he'ssy up next in court, like what's going on. I don't know if I'd love to be able to say I've put it all behind me, but as long as there's still the outstanding matters, I'm still kind of connected to it, especially with the obstruction of justice charges with the Flyer, because I will be a witness at that trial if it goes to a trial. But I think one anyone who's ever been in my shoes or sadly might end up in my shoes. You just have to give yourself a lot of compassion. I'm very lucky I have incredible, Like I have the most amazing family and such a strong network of friends, and I've done a lot of therapy. You know, I walk my dog all the time because when I just have to clear my head, I'll go for a walk. But I really have this has definitely reprioritized things for me. You know, what would once seems so important isn't. And for me self care and health are like first and foremost. But yeah, I don't know. I really, like I said earlier too, I do hope it would be really cool if more victims can come forward and if imagine if more charges could get laid against him and he did spend a long long time in jail, like that would be amazing. So we'll see. Its life is just a work in progress, right like one day at a time.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Heather for helping us tell her story. True Crime Conversations is a podcast hosted by me Clare Murphy and produced by Charlie Blackman, with audio designed by Jacob Brown. Thanks so much for listening. I'll be back next week with another Through Crime Conversation.