Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm Ama Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Unleashed, the podcast for gen X women who need a laugh. If you remember Live.
Speaker 3: Aid, Huffball, Skirts, learning to drive without power steering, and you know categorically, baby should never.
Speaker 2: Be put in the corner. You're in the right place, right. Who we got on the coach today.
Speaker 4: I am Sally Hipworth, She's back.
Speaker 1: I am brunupv Andrea and I'm a film and TV producer.
Speaker 2: I'm Kat Mahony. I'm a comedian.
Speaker 5: Hi, I'm Grace Lamb Fashion Stylish up.
Speaker 3: All right, listeners, I want you to unclench a your clench a pelvic floor and get ready to unleash Sally. It's so nice to have you back, come back, come back, dominating that you were NATed States of America.
Speaker 2: Oh so good.
Speaker 6: You've got a voice for wrestling.
Speaker 5: Cat that you sound like that, and you've been America for too long.
Speaker 2: I think I think I have.
Speaker 6: But you know what I loved about it.
Speaker 4: The tour went really well and the book sold lots of copies, so tick tick tick. But I was listening to you guys while I was away, and I just loved hearing your wrestling voice, all of your stories, and it felt like a little piece of home.
Speaker 5: Well I want to know is how did you travel with your boyfriend? Really well, so your first trip together it.
Speaker 4: Was well, we've traveled together a little bit, but it was the first tour that we did together, and I wasn't sure. The thing about touring is that it's very intense and there's not a lot of time for fun. So it's work mode and it's very much You wake up in a hotel, you get up, you get on a plane, you fly somewhere, you get off the plane and go to the hotel, get dressed, do your event, you know, sign for hours, and then get home at midnight, do that all again for two weeks. So he did so well. He was a big help.
Speaker 6: We called him Bagman Dan, and he.
Speaker 4: Was so helpful to me, and he had no issue with it being it had to be kind of all about me, which you know, but it was lovely and I think our relationship survived good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it is lovely to have the gang back, or some of the gang. Okay, before we start, I have a bone to pick, Grace. Last week you claimed that you caught knits from public transports.
Speaker 5: Yes, I swear by it.
Speaker 2: What all right? This is Grace last week, ladies, I knew it.
Speaker 5: I knew it that day when we went on a tram and it was very crowded and we were so squashed with these people. I swear to god, it's from the I'm one hundred percent what a tram? Yes, bitches, it was a tram.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, well, listen, we've got so many begs to differ. We have a mess from one of our co hosts, doctor Ginny Mansburg, who was listening to last week's episode screaming in the car and having none of it.
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness, Grace, I love you, but you're full of shit. You cannot catch it from a tram. It's a transferred from one heir to another when the heads are touching. So my official doctor diagnosis, I reckon it was probably from your precious school age beautiful son THEO, not from strangers on public transport.
Speaker 6: Okay, love you, Grace is like no child of mine.
Speaker 5: I think doctor Jiniy needs to go back to medical school.
Speaker 1: My god, she's so right.
Speaker 5: Anyway, let's not get itchy again, please, Okay.
Speaker 3: In my hand, I have the talking stick the rules are you have the talking stick, you can talk about absolutely anything you want. We will probably interrupt and we will probably take the pists. So who would like the talking stick? I would like the talking Sally.
Speaker 2: Hepworth talking stick.
Speaker 4: I mean, thank you, Kathy Mcat. I have been waiting weeks for this stick because I want to talk about something confronting that has been happening to me. There's something that you guys probably have picked about me, and that is that I'm very advanced in a lot of ways. I was at the first of my friends to become middle age. When I was twenty, they deemed that I was, in fact forty and so now that I'm forty five, I feel like I'm going on eighty five. And a few things happened while I was away in America that helped kind.
Speaker 6: Of confirm this for me.
Speaker 4: The first one was around food and around the you know in America, some of you know very large portions.
Speaker 1: Very large portions, like everything is big.
Speaker 4: Everything comes with fries, it comes with salad, it comes with the never ending drink on the side, and you know, in the old days, more of a middle aged Sally. When I was in my twenty I might have just well eaten it all and drunk it all, or if I didn't want it, I might have just you know, left what I didn't want to eat. But the newly elderly Sally looks at the food that's.
Speaker 6: There and gets annoyed.
Speaker 1: Why did they give me all that?
Speaker 6: You know what is?
Speaker 5: This is so wasteful.
Speaker 4: I also doing some of those other telltale things, like I've got my favorite trolley at the supermart.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on the trolley.
Speaker 4: You've got the shallow trolley.
Speaker 2: I don't like to be.
Speaker 1: Are you vying for like a seniors card next? Are we close to that?
Speaker 4: I'd love to get the scene the.
Speaker 1: Youngest of our group. You know that, because you've reminded.
Speaker 6: Me like three times.
Speaker 4: But I'm prematurely elderly. I'm the oldest one of the group really at heart, And so I guess I'm just thinking about the things, the many things that have made me realize that I'm elderly, and I'm wondering if you guys have got any of these sorts.
Speaker 1: I've got loads, got loads, full loads, ye daily remind.
Speaker 2: I don't like to drive when it's dark.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, as soon as it gets dark I'm like, that's just anxiety. If somebody wants to go for dinner and it's later than five point thirty, I veto it and say let's go for lunch.
Speaker 6: Well, there's apparently some science to that.
Speaker 4: I read about circadian rhythms of elderly people, and elderly people are quite protective of their sleep, as we know, and the circadian rhythms change for the elderly, and so they do eat too late they're up, then it can really destroy their sleep. So that might be you're on the right path.
Speaker 3: I like to pay extra to go Gold class, Yes, because I want to put my feet up because my back will hurt the cinema at the cinema, Yeah, plus anybody else making any noise shits made, Yes, So if you're in gold class, there's less people, so I'm very happy with that. I also will move a lot in a restaurant till I find a really quiet spot because noise really bothers me.
Speaker 2: Now order anyone else.
Speaker 5: So I whenever I call my mother, who's eighty four, eighty five, eighty six, something like that.
Speaker 2: When I call something like that, once.
Speaker 5: You past eighties, who's counting, right? So whenever I call her. She literally would just go do.
Speaker 4: This, why why?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 5: Like one hundred times. Sometimes I have to take my phone away from me because I can't deal with that kind.
Speaker 4: Of noise, just the volume, or is shouting at you a particular thing.
Speaker 5: Just anything, Like anytime I call her, she's all she does this at least ten times. Will she even say first sentence even when she calls me. So I find myself doing that with my son. Oh yeah, I find myself do that and I'm like, no, don't do that. And also I find myself I have to ask my son for to explain what this acronymer. Yeah, Like, do you guys know what rf L means?
Speaker 2: I call it.
Speaker 6: Well laughing?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 5: Roll on the floor laughing? Oh, b au, do you know what that is?
Speaker 6: Business as usual?
Speaker 5: No shit, No, keep guessing?
Speaker 1: S y what s y?
Speaker 5: B au? Oh, shut your bitch ass up. So we're very behind, by the way.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem with getting older. You never felt better emotionally, you know, because you're like, you know more, but then your body doesn't agree. Here's the thing that happened to me that nobody told me about. Floaters in the eyes. Yeah, floaters like It's a really real thing. As you get older degrade. Everyone's eyesight gets worse as they get older. Floaters like like, you looked like there's a bug in front and you're swatting it with your hand. And I went to the eye do older. He's like, yeah, you've got floaters. They can't really take the mask.
Speaker 6: I never heard of that.
Speaker 1: Brain very disconcerted.
Speaker 2: That would be.
Speaker 6: Is definitely across the board.
Speaker 4: Will will get worse for people. And I remember my mum was particularly bad at going to the optometry. She couldn't see, but instead of doing that, she would go to the chemist and just buy increasingly strong magnifying glasses. And they were everywhere. They were in the car, they were in you know, the pockets of her dressing gowns. They were all over the house. And that was something we always gave her so much shit about. And now same at my house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got multiple glasses stashed for like every week going to beds at my desk.
Speaker 4: And sometimes I will put my sonnies over the top of my glass.
Speaker 6: I'll double up. That's a signer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think where I have ended up with all of this very prematurely aging thing is that the youth is so overrated. It is so mu much better being middle aged, elderly. And actually people have been lying to kids all the time, and they lied to us because this is the best part of our lives, all of our glasses on. Who wants the stick?
Speaker 3: I'd like it, Sally Hepworth. Thank you very much, thank you very much. Okay, look, I need a bit of therapy around this. A couple of weeks ago, my son Mother's Day, as we're in the car, this is where he does all of his big discussions, shares with me that he has not lost his ear pods, he's had them stolen.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm still a bit of.
Speaker 5: You're talking about air pods?
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, what did I call it?
Speaker 1: A pods?
Speaker 4: Speaking of old age?
Speaker 1: You know the walk pieces AirPods.
Speaker 2: I'm terrible and I am my mother.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I then realized that they were originally my ear pods, air pods that I've given to him. And when you buy air pods, you can connect them to your iPhone and then there's like a tracking device. It's like magnum p I for you know, lost Apple.
Speaker 1: Goods, brilliant. I've used it many times so it's.
Speaker 2: Really good when you when you want to find something. Anyway, so I.
Speaker 3: Realized that I could look on the app and see where they were. And it's so freaky because all of a sudden they're moving and this little pesky person is going up and down the Anzac Parade and going to Couldji and then to Marubra and then they went to Botany and watching them very active, I feel like they were on a bus.
Speaker 2: It felt like a bus.
Speaker 5: But yes, enjoying listening to us.
Speaker 3: I just wanted there to be a button where I could sort of like cut through whatever audio it was, to be like, I am following you.
Speaker 1: Listening to this podcast.
Speaker 3: That's what if I was in Apple The just idea for the next lot of AirPods put that in so when they do get lost, you can like override. I could keep playing Clapton.
Speaker 2: That's great. Anyway, I was so angry the middle of the week.
Speaker 3: I've now told everybody that will listen in my life and keep sending screenshots to people of where that my girlfriend is, like right, come and see me, because they're really close to her.
Speaker 2: She lives in Sydney. Let's do this. So three days in we.
Speaker 3: Get in the car like we are Cagney and Lacy and we pull up where the AirPods are stopped, but it's a unit block, so we're scuppered. The plan is scuppered. She was ready, like a current affair style to bad to.
Speaker 1: Say, Keith, did you call a counterfear?
Speaker 2: She was on that.
Speaker 3: She was ready to film the person to be I know I can prove.
Speaker 2: That they are mine, because look at my phone.
Speaker 4: I want to understand, like, what was your plan, Like, so you've got your friend drive down there? Were you going to march on in and say I think there's some sort of misunderstands.
Speaker 3: I was going to use the word misunderstanding as opposed to stolen. Yes, I was going to say, I think maybe you've picked up the wrong pair by accident. And we were ready to go, and so like my adrenaline level like was through. I mean, I know what it must be like to be an astronaut to go into space.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 5: Because it's exactly the same, exactly, that's a little bit different, exactly.
Speaker 3: The same anyway, And it was a real come down that that I just but I can't stop.
Speaker 2: The point is I cannot stop looking at.
Speaker 1: Where they are you can see where they are.
Speaker 2: I can still see where they.
Speaker 3: Are, no, because a move, they're on the move.
Speaker 2: When they're in a unit. There were like eighteen apartments. I checked, Grace. Can't you go? You need to follow the door by door. And I didn't want to stake them like I was a cop.
Speaker 1: If there was a phone, you could make a really loud noise and you, yeah, you can't.
Speaker 2: And I want to do in a public space.
Speaker 4: And you go there and you were costs and your son's quite big, isn't he take care?
Speaker 1: Tackle them down?
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 5: Very I don't know that it's a thug.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, are they still online? And if so, can you look where they are now? And I'm available after we finish here stop, I would like to volunteer.
Speaker 6: And I'm volunteering Grace as well.
Speaker 5: They're still don't steal from me. Who steal from me, they will have to pay.
Speaker 6: That's how I roll.
Speaker 5: When Jason first s art dating, he was living in Sydney. I was in Hong Kong. We were going out somewhere and we went home and then we shut the taxi door and he goes, oh my god, my phone like this right, I was in five inch heels. I started running like for at gun while he was watching me laughing, and I'm like, no, that phone's going to come back and we can see it going travel around Hong Kong, and I was like, oh my god, Like whoever still from me? I always Chase always you needed Grace.
Speaker 4: If she's.
Speaker 1: No, you can't do them anymore. Like if you've been in the States and even in the UK, it's dangerous.
Speaker 5: You gotta just let them take it. Nothing's worth it, yes, because.
Speaker 1: Someone will literally kill you. Cannot you can't do road rage. You cannot you confront anyone.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, take Grace and me. We're going to the apartment block when we're done.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're doing that after the show.
Speaker 1: You know what, guys, I'm gonna gift you a pair of AirPods just so you do not pull yourself in arms away. Have my friends putting themselves in arms away?
Speaker 5: So what is this about? Is it about injustice?
Speaker 2: Look? I think it is Grace.
Speaker 3: I think it's the fact that I'm a solo mum and these things are not cheap and I can't just replace stuff, and you know they were expensive. I think it's a bit of perimenopause rage too, if I'm honest. But yeah, and I think it's I think it's because I can see them. You know, we've all lost stuff over the years, but I can see these little critters moving around in my case, and I pistolf.
Speaker 4: It's like one little thing in this uncontrollable world that you can control. Yes, and put your laser focus of your rage onto.
Speaker 2: Yes, But I'm also with Bruna.
Speaker 3: I don't want to end up with a black eye, or if the kid has picked them up by accident, that the kids then in trouble with the parents.
Speaker 2: So I do have a little bit of kind of that going on.
Speaker 4: To Kath You are really all over the place with this. I think it's destroying your sanity, and I'm going to take it out of your hands. What you need to do is you're going to unpair your phone from this device. We're going to give them with love to their new owner in the apartment block, and we are going to take a deep breath and we're going to let it go. Yes, while we're cursing this person, we will also put their name in the fridge.
Speaker 2: Do it all right, press and remove do it? Yeah, Yeah, you can see.
Speaker 5: This move press move good okay girl now deep breath done?
Speaker 1: Do you feel good?
Speaker 4: And let's all as a team.
Speaker 6: Let it go?
Speaker 2: Let me need grace, Let go all right?
Speaker 6: How do you feel?
Speaker 2: I feel lighter? Do you real I do? Thanks good? It's been eating me up.
Speaker 5: Kathma, honey, you are free. Now let them have it. Karma will get them.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, let them robins, let them.
Speaker 2: Who needs a talking stick? Now? Oh, grace, lamb, thank you. Here we go.
Speaker 5: So, ladies, everyone's talking about Devil West Parlor too. And Merrol Strip came up on my algorithm. And what I didn't know was when she first got approached to do the first one, she reject it because she wanted to negotiate better. But because she said no, then they came back to her and double her salary, and I thought, wow, she was fifty six at that point, and even she said she didn't know she could do that. I mean, let's go.
Speaker 2: And hear Eryl.
Speaker 5: I know, right, let's go and hear what Mary had to say.
Speaker 1: They called me up and they made an offer and I said, no, I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see. I knew it was going to be a hit.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to see if I doubled my ask.
Speaker 2: Wow, And they went right away and said sure.
Speaker 1: And I thought, I'm fifty sixty. It took me this long to understand that I could do that.
Speaker 2: But you can ask for what you want.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean that's Meryl Streep.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 5: I was actually quite shocked. I mean, ladies, if Meryl Streep can only work this out at fifty six, what chance do we hear?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: What is something that you wanted afraid to ask?
Speaker 6: Okays, Oh, I'm terrible.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely really terrible. I think I was a publicist for twenty years. I could ask for other things for people, but when it came to doing it for me, terrible. And I think as I've got older.
Speaker 2: It's got worse. I was more ballsy.
Speaker 3: Before I was a mum. I remember going for a job at Channel nine and speaking to like somebody who worked there who was a guy, and he was like, as for this, like I was, you know, being into view by Eddie Maguire kind of that's when it.
Speaker 2: Was, And I was like, no way, oh my gosh, and I just weighed.
Speaker 3: In like a baller and I got this amazing pay packet and a parking space.
Speaker 2: And now I just would never have the balls to do that. Are you really sad? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it's a freelancing too, isn't it. You'd never quite know when the next thing's coming, so it's like I'll just grab it, I'll take it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Bruno, Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty I've been on both sides of this, obviously, because I also employed a lot of actors and actresses and I've seen, you know, the kind of double standard for years, and you know, so men have traditionally male actors of traditionally movie star has been paid more. There's a couple of times that has happened where male co stars have spoken up for their female coastars. Very famously Chadwick the Lake, Chadwick Boseman spoken up used part of his salary for his coas star Sienna Miller so that she earned the same amount. In the film twenty one Bridges, and I think also Mark Wahlberg when they were doing reshoots for this movie, all the money in the world wanted to make, they didn't want to pay Michelle Williams as much to do the reshoots, and it was a big moment I remember in Hollywood because he was kind of standing up and saying, no, she's a star as well, she should be paid the same. And I do think women, you know, we all need coaching. It's actually something e mcgreed talks about a lot, right She's kind of an amazing she's the person talking about women in business right now. And what I love about her style is she's like, yeah, ask for what you need and ask for what you want. So I'm very much in that mindset.
Speaker 4: I actually think this goes beyond work. And here's an example from my own life. My biggest fear I think in life is inconveniencing other people. Thank you Mum and all the Catholic guilt that has laid that on me. And so I will actually, you know, someone will come to my house to do this. Happened yesterday. I had an ear tasker come over to put a new door but like an auto lock thing that's got the fingerprint to let you in the house. I'm so excited about it. And as he did it, he ended up getting saw dust all over the floor and he did offer to clean it up, and I just said, oh no, that, don't worry about it, I'll do it, And it was a real pain in the ass. And afterwards Dan was like, why didn't you get him to do it? That's a really small thing. But that's just a classic kind of I will to make any awkwardness go away. I will absorb the unpleasantness in my life.
Speaker 5: I mean, I spoke to quite a lot of people about this, and what I find very interesting is a lot of women, a lot of even young girls, find it quite hard to negotiate for themselves. And because I'm not Australian originally, right, what I find interesting working in Australia is that you guys don't negotiate.
Speaker 6: It's weird.
Speaker 5: Like let's say someone ask me to do a social media collaboration, I'll give my prize. Go oh my god, you're too expensive, always too expensive, And I'm like, well, what's your baseline? Oh no, no, no, don't worry about it. I'm like, I meet in Hong Kong or even in London, is a discussion? Is it open discussion? So sometimes I kind of feel you have to stand your ground when you asked for something. Yeah, I agree, So don't be afraid, ladies, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I do think it helps if you have got a backing of yourself and yourself in that particular area, if you think, yeah, I'm worth this. And obviously Merrill was stepping in going you know, I know this is a big budget. I know you've got the money, and I know that you're going to give it to me because I'm going to bring that value. I think that's when you can really it stops being like a wing and a prayer and it starts being this is a solid offer for both of us, and I think that's when you can really do your best pitch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's channel Marra every time I negotiate. Yeap, Let's go maraw Gomez.
Speaker 1: So while we're talking about work, there is something I want to talk about cause I have the talking sticks.
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 1: So you guys know, I travel a lot for work. I live here as of a few years ago, but my main business is still in Hollywood, so I go back and forth a lot. I have never once regretted a trip, and my works really important to me. I'm ambitious and I love it. But last week I got on a plane. I knew I shouldn't get on. Everything in me said this is not the time to leave. I just really knew that my daughter, you know, my kids have just started seventh grade, she started a new school. I had just been away, and there's been a lot going on, just you know a lot of stuff kind of you know, tough stuff around the family. And I am not kidding. I was at the airport in the lounge, still thinking about I should just go home. Really, I can easily put this strip off. But I get on the plane and then I just burst into tears. So then I'm just crying basically all the way to New York to LA.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: And then I make it to LA. I burst into tears, and.
Speaker 4: Was something going on at home? Like during this time when you're feeling so emotional, what was happening was were you in touch at home or you just spidy senses were telling you something?
Speaker 3: Long?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So my daughter that day had called and said like she was just in tears and she just needed an emotional day. What I never asked for. Yeah, So she took the day. So then I went to sleep and had the only good night's sleep I've had so far. So i wake up and I'm ready for an entire week of meetings, and I'm sitting at breakfast in my first meeting, and my husband calls and he goes, you know, she's just not doing well. She's really missed, she's really struggling. Thirteen is very hard age. And I just said, like I put her on the fight, I got her on the FaceTime. I'm gonna want to cry talking about her. And I said, I'm going to come home. I'm gonna get on a plane tonight, literally so emotional. And I said, Mommy's getting on a plane tonight. And she was so like, what really killed me. It was how surprised she was that I said that, And she was like, would you do that for me? And I was like, you are the most important thing in the world, Like I can come back and do this anytime. And so I was actually in the middle of a meeting. I said to my meeting, I'm so sorry. I'm just gonna get on the phone and change my flight. And I did. I went home and it was amazing, and it was also it was really the biggest lesson for me was I knew that I shouldn't have gone on that trip, and I didn't listen to my instincts. And I'm sure that is true for so many people about so many things. Women's instincts are so strong, so strong, san I knew. And here's when I really knew. My husband, who's always like I got this and really has so much of it all the time, he said, I think you need to come home, and he's never in the thousands of trips I've taken, he's never said that. And I just said to my daughter, listen, next time I travel will be together. Wait till you're on school holidays and we'll go together. So it was a great lesson for me, but also very emotional week.
Speaker 5: It's amazing that she thought, would you do that for me? I mean, of course you would do that for her, right. It's so sweet but also quite surprising when they think that you put your job first before them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well I think sometimes I have, truthfully, because that's the real thing, because I think now I would never have. Obviously they really needed me, and I definitely felt because kids can miss you and it's always hard, like remember when we used to, you know, you drop your kids and then cry and then five seconds later they'd be okay. So I think that that's the other key is like I just knew that you know, she really needed me in that moment, and also I needed them. I was like, what am I doing here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have you had that thought before? Has that you before?
Speaker 1: I mean when they were little, I would feel some guilt, but never, it's never. I mean of all the trips I've taken in all the years that I've traveled, it was.
Speaker 2: Like a full body feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a full body feeling of like, you know.
Speaker 4: I wonder, Bruna, like, how do you know I've never been good with instincts, like And it's actually one of the things that I feel kind of ashamed of as a mother, because you know, people think that mothers have got these strong instincts, and I don't know that I necessarily do. And I think that that my if I was to listen to my guard I would never travel because it always like I don't know the difference between guilt and instincts. And also as having a flexible job, as you do and as we all do, I think the real challenge of it is that because we can say yes or no, yes I'll go or no, I won't go, it feels different to if we.
Speaker 5: It was just our job to go, and you know, we have.
Speaker 6: To go to work.
Speaker 1: We all work for ourselves, every single one of us.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 4: And while you know it is there are so many privileges of that, and there are so many benefits, and that does allow for flexibility. The truth is that you don't have the option to say I won't go every time, which is why she probably felt like, oh, you would do that, because it's not something that can happen every time. Some work trips are non negotiable.
Speaker 5: So what is going on? Because this is very unlike you. I mean, we're all ambitious women, So what's going on?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's so complicated, right, because I've spent my life also saying to my daughter when she says, why do you have to go away? I never say, oh, I have to earn a living, I said, because mummy loves it. She had a job she loved before you, and I do love it. I love being in person, I love being on film sets like I love my job. I mean it must be the same for you, sal right, you get to meet your readers and be these amazing events. How do you feel when you travel?
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 4: I do love it, and it is something that was also a non negotiable of the job. And you know, people talk about flexible lives as it's a real pro but actually you do have to as when you are an ambitious, successful person, there are things that come with that, and part of that is travel, and part of that is.
Speaker 6: A lot of work.
Speaker 4: And you can't turn off the guilt from that, particularly if you're enjoying it. And there are really good things about it too, But I still don't know what the answer is. I think sometimes you're going to mess it up and go at the wrong time, like you just experienced, and other times you know you'll go and it'll be you know, is it worth, you know, leaving your kids behind. I mean, the thing is, I think it's unique for women to be going through this because when men go to work. My dad traveled a lot when I was a child. He'd go off for six weeks at a time sometimes and we didn't miss a beat because Mum was getting on with things. But he never came home and said, oh, I'm so sorry that I had to be at work.
Speaker 6: He wasn't guilty.
Speaker 4: We all understood that he was doing the work, and my kids do understand that to some extent.
Speaker 1: But I have the opposite situation, whereas my husband's always been the one who, even though we run a business together, he could never leave them for the amount of time I do, so where our roles are switched really completely. So what happens is sometimes kids need you at different points in their lives differently, but I would argue for you. And this is where ambition and success I think is really important. Sally is now and has been many times, but your book is a massive New York Times bestseller right now. If you don't do those tours, that doesn't happen. That's how you build your audience in America, right There's no way.
Speaker 4: And I'm a single mum and I am solely financially responsible for my children. And that's another sort of different position again in that I want to be there for them and be the mum and you know, care for them, and I do do all of those things, but equally I am one hundred percent responsible for their financial being. And if I don't go over there to New York and to America and do the tours, they can't have the life that they have. And so you're constantly measuring up and you're bound to stuff it up. Sometimes sometimes you go on the wrong troop. Sometimes you go, you know you should have gone on the troop, and you know we're only human. But I bet you made a really special memory.
Speaker 6: For your daughter by coming back home.
Speaker 1: That's the importance, the less special one for my credit count.
Speaker 3: Oh Brune. A bit of a gear change here, but thank you. It's good to hear about your problems and that they're resolved. Yeah, now it's time.
Speaker 2: For other people's problems, right.
Speaker 3: This is a part of the show where you send us your dilemmas, your questions, your domestic emergencies, your moral gray areas. Today's problems comes from Unleasha Janet real name Brave Woman.
Speaker 1: Hi, ladies.
Speaker 9: I work full time from home, which is great, or at least it was great until my husband recently retired. Now he's around all day every day. He lurks over my shoulder. He wants to know when I'm having lunch. He wants us to eat lunch together. He breathes loudly near me. And I know this sounds awful, but I've had it. I need space, I need quiet, I need to work.
Speaker 1: I need him to fuck off.
Speaker 9: So my dilemma is do I tell him very lovingly to get a hobby and get out of my hair and get a life. Or do I lease my own office space.
Speaker 2: To escape hell?
Speaker 5: Brilliant Janet, right, what do we think she needs to drop him off? I think it's just gonna even country. I think it's normal or something that white can drop the husband off like a playdate with a group of men and just stay there for a few that's what she needs.
Speaker 2: She sat up.
Speaker 4: Himself there like, this is not Janet's problem, No, he needs to I've been in this situation myself a few years back, when I had little kids and my ex husband started being at home and when he stopped working and he was there, and I found it incredibly difficult, and I, a little bit like Janet, started asking myself what could I do? How could I break it to him? I did end up renting another office space. But now a few years have gone by and I've realized my error.
Speaker 6: So I'm going to share my wisdom with Janet. What is it?
Speaker 2: It is this?
Speaker 6: This is not your problem.
Speaker 4: You don't have to break anything to him. You just need to let him know that you're working and that's your boundary and he needs to go away. How many times have we seen the man who's working from home, the dad, the husband, and the wife is shushing the kids getting them out of the house. Everyone understands that he is working. Look and this could go either way, right Like, this may be the case in your house, Bruna, with Steve shushing the kids. But that is how it works. The person who is working takes priority, and it's the other person's responsibility to fuck off, and so she needs to tell him that she's not responsible for coordinating how that happens. I think that that just needs to happen.
Speaker 1: I have very strong thoughts on this because even though my husband's not retired, we have a business together. And so I said a very clear boundary because I'm so with you, Janet, and I can I can hear his loud breathing, but I will never be we do so many zoom calls together. I will not be in the same screen as him. I will not drive with him and I basically, even when we're working at the office, I try and be in my own space because I need my own space to work away from him. But also when your lives are so intertwined already and you need to focus on what you're doing, I think it's totally fair with love for you to say to him, I'm so happy that you're happy and that you're retired, but I need some quiet and I need my space and create that. I kind of agree with Sally. I don't think you should have to go rent an office unless you want to, which I encourage you. But at the same time, I just think you do have to set up a boundary because it's really hard when someone is switched into that gear and you're working.
Speaker 4: Away, because it's not just about the actual work either, Like there's the work hours and then he can look in and see that you're done and chime in, but actually work is also about the blank space. It's about the time between the meetings. It's about your lunch break. It's about the time that you might scroll on Instagram, or time make a phone call or have a nap or whatever it is that you do during those hours where you don't want to be judged either, because that's all part of people's workday, is the chat at the photocopy. Yeah, she doesn't need Bill to be there.
Speaker 5: Also feel like women we are much better with friends circles than men, So most men don't have that many friends, my husband included. And women are very good with community and even small groups.
Speaker 2: Of big of friends.
Speaker 5: So when they retire, they just go and do like, you know, women's stuff, whereas men they don't, you know, very rarely they get together, you know, not like women how we do it.
Speaker 3: I just don't think Janet's husband's going to be good with boundaries. We really don't think he's going to be very good with boundaries. A girlfriend of mine, her husband, she works from home, and her husband changed jobs where he was in Melbourne occasionally but mainly at home. And it wasn't just what you're having for lunch, it was like, let's have sex. She was like, what, it's like a working day anyway she's in, we work much happier. So she left the house. I just working with coworking space. I just don't think some men are very good with boundaries.
Speaker 4: No, but they have to be good with boundaries, Like again, we are taking that away from them. She should be good too, and they rely on us to you know, fill that void. They don't have friends, all of those things. But if she shuts the door and she says, you can't come in here, Bill, he's going to have to go and find his adult day when is going to have to make his hobbies. Desperation is a wonderful thing. We tend to step in and help them where we shouldn't. We should just hands off, go play in the garden.
Speaker 2: Bill.
Speaker 1: But also if we've just heard Janet's voice message, Jannet, you sound amazing. Yeah, you sound super strong, you sound super clear, and I feel confident that you're actually going to be able to have that conversation because you're just in writing and doing this voice message to us. You know what you need to do.
Speaker 2: Just envisit you.
Speaker 3: Bill joining the gym, starts to have sex, to barbroom pilates.
Speaker 4: He'll just find himself a little woodworking ship or something.
Speaker 6: Now that sounds that sounds.
Speaker 2: Community, a man shared. There are loads of man.
Speaker 1: Maybe let's call him Bill. I think she should maybe give Bill a membership to something, some kind of community event or told you.
Speaker 2: Get him to volunteers somewhere.
Speaker 4: Get him to step up around the house so every time you come in hand him the go make dinners, he'll piss off quick quicksman. Give him jobs around the house.
Speaker 3: Oh, Janet, I hope you gain something.
Speaker 2: From that personal what happened.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, that is all we have time for today. And actually, if you're listening, you've got a problem, you've got a friend with a problem. D M and least dot show on Instagram. You've just seen how great our free advices. I'm solicited, unqualified, but we.
Speaker 2: Love helping, don't we, Ladies.
Speaker 3: Send them in and a big shout out to the moss Vale Fang Club.
Speaker 2: Love listening.
Speaker 3: Hello, and if you've got a friend that you think would need a bit of unleashed in her life, share this episode and go to our podcast page and hit follow if you haven't already.
Speaker 2: So we literally pop in every Tuesday.
Speaker 10: All your friends, all of your friends, and as we like to say, Tuesday until then, stay unfiltered, Stay unreasonable, Stay unleash.
Speaker 3: By Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on