Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting out Loud, the podcast that brings you the news, trends, culture and what parents are thinking about.
Speaker 2: I'm Monique Bolly.
Speaker 3: I'm Amelia Laster, and I'm Stacy Higgs.
Speaker 2: Coming up on today's show.
Speaker 3: Our Australian Parents.
Speaker 4: Okay, a huge new survey and the stat that shocked us all.
Speaker 5: And do you apologize for your kid just being themselves? I may have been guilty of this on my little recent trip to Fiji, and I'm going to tell you why it's not necessarily a good thing.
Speaker 1: And why parents everywhere are putting YouTube on this week and saying it's Danny.
Speaker 2: Go, Go Go.
Speaker 4: But first, there's one celebrity that is guaranteed to light up all my group chats with enthusiasm, and it is actual godess who walks among us, Hannah Waddingham.
Speaker 3: I love her.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, he's the amazing thing about Hannah. She is a six foot blonde with a four octave range who somehow makes us feel like we can relate to her. Yeah, well you two can because you're very tall, but yes, for the rest of us, she's She's a tall goddess who nonetheless seems relatable And yes, We know her from Teddler so from Game of Thrones as well, but here she is with some of the very best parenting advice you will ever hear.
Speaker 6: I'm not a small woman in any way, shape or form. Do I like to look after myself?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Am I obsessed with that? Absolutely not. So she sees me eating crisps, eating chips, eating you and we'll go for a burger, well, you know, and I will always make sure we do that.
Speaker 4: That's Hannah talking about her daughter, who was twelve, who is she's raising as a single parent. I also didn't know when I was researching Hannah's life story that she briefly emigrated to Australia in twenty.
Speaker 3: Twelve for lofe.
Speaker 4: It didn't work out, but still, yeah, she has Australian her fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah we could have claimed her.
Speaker 2: God, oh we still can.
Speaker 1: Anyone that spends any time here were like Australia's own Hannah.
Speaker 3: Stacy.
Speaker 4: Did you love this advice from our Hannah about eating in front of girls as much as I did?
Speaker 3: Yes? I did.
Speaker 5: I really loved it because it feels like the complete antithesis of like the arm and moms of the nineties.
Speaker 3: Look, I feel like you didn't really see your.
Speaker 5: Mum's eating, like they're always on a diet or doing something super restrictive. And it's sad that it has to be a conscious thought of, like I need to make sure she sees me enjoy food and see that I'm getting energy from that and all of those things. But I love that that's something she's been conscious of, particularly given the world that she is in and what we're seeing on red carpet.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: I have a personal running tally, as you both know, called Great Dads of the Internet, and I have a new candidate this week. It's Diplo. Please welcome to the Honor Board. The DJ Diplo. Now I didn't know who Diplo was, but he's one of the biggest DJs on the planet. He's played at Coachella, the Grammys, Burning men. Couldn't tell you a single Diplo song. Do you know any Diplo?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 5: I do because it's not his voice on them. They're all these songs that you'll go, oh my God, yes I know that song, and they're they're kind of his mixes. I don't know how DJs work, but he's a very successful one and I assume a very comtensive one.
Speaker 3: To be fair.
Speaker 4: Of any of the three of us knew who Diplo was, it would be Stacy's.
Speaker 3: It's very I know totally.
Speaker 2: Well, so he's a really big deal.
Speaker 1: And he DJ'ed his son's kindergarten graduation this week. He called it, and I quote, the most important set of my career and.
Speaker 2: The most exclusive party of the year.
Speaker 1: And he asked all the five year olds if they were ready to get crazy, but he did it in the most gentle way. Have a listen to this, you already get crazy.
Speaker 4: I found myself wondering how long the waiting list is for the preschool that Diplow sends is, because I bet it's a long one.
Speaker 5: Well, now they know that, like they just went to a concert that would cost other people like one hundred thousand dollars to get him to their venue, like.
Speaker 3: He's a big dog.
Speaker 5: And I loved the vision of all the parents standing around the outside like trying to act cool, like they didn't just want to be right down the front.
Speaker 2: Like what like was it the PTA the Parents Committee?
Speaker 1: Like someone would have said, Hey, ask Diplo, ask you to do this, just asking me if you'll do it the graduate. One of those poor parents had to ring diploy him.
Speaker 4: At the school yards that message to Diplo that starts, Hey Diplo, we haven't met yet, but I'm a big fan of your work. But the thing is, this was a risky.
Speaker 5: Move because no one is a harsher critic than a kid, Like five year olds don't care if you're Diplow. And he did the riskiest thing of all by playing new music like he said, this is one of my new tracks. And I'm like, dude, that is so risky, Like they would be there going like Cao, Damon Honters.
Speaker 2: You yeah, play chicken.
Speaker 1: Good audio.
Speaker 3: I love I loved it.
Speaker 4: Every now and then you see something so startling on your feed that it stops your scroll. For moms this week, that was dip blow for me. It was a single stat from the largest ever survey of Australian parents, which was done late last year by a not for profit called the Parenting Research Center. Can I say, first of all, I'm so glad there is a place called the Parenting Research Centers, like they're doing important work. The stat was that almost sixty percent of Australian parents are experiencing psychological distress as a result of the challenges that they're confronting in parenting. That was across all demographics, all types of parents, all across the country.
Speaker 3: They are struggled.
Speaker 2: And this was quite a large survey.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Amelia like, this isn't one of those pr surveys where they've talked to seventeen people on.
Speaker 4: Ever survey of Australian parents. It was a serious survey and the researchers identified a couple of different buckets or sources for that distress loneliness, self doubt, and in particular they single that a lack of self compassion. So this toought me in my tracks because to be honest, what it immediately made me feel was less alone that how hard This isn't just in my head Mon's Did you have that response.
Speaker 1: As I sit my coffee in survival mode right now as I sit here, Yeah, I did have the same response. I thought to myself, Oh, when it's actually documented research, Now there's data points on why we're all feeling this way. Because this is the conversation I have every day with my girlfriends in our group chats, in our coffee catch ups, it's how are you going, I'm purely in survival mode. This was really good reporting by the ABC's Conna Duffy. He went out and he spoke to this woman who had four children, and she said it best and she said the thing that a lot of us are thinking, which is I'm exhausted. I feel like I'm in survival mode all the time. I don't really feel like I'm living life. And when you dig down into it, you said it was sixty percent of parents feeling psychological stress. But the really telling thing for me, the worrying thing for me and for the experts at the Parenting Research Center said that twelve percent of Australian parents are reporting psychological distress in the high range. So that's clinical levels of anxiety in depression. That is more than one in ten. That is every sports team that you're in, that's one parent that's at clinical levels of anxiety and depression. In the average school classroom it's three to four parents. Like this is significant numbers. And why they're worried about this is because if you are in that state of psychological distress, you are not going to parent.
Speaker 2: As well as you can.
Speaker 1: You know, you're less likely to do kind of parenting behaviors that are going to lead to good outcomes to children. So, yeah, experts are really worried about this. Yeah, and parents are really worried about this.
Speaker 4: It was a great article one that was summarizing the findings on the ABC website. Another part of the article that's stuck out to me is that they interviewed a demographer from A and U named Liz Allen. She made this really interesting point that parents are having fewer kids, not because they want to, but because she said in this phrase really stuck with me, they are worried about tomorrow. And I thought to myself, what a perfect encapsulation of what parents are, what's at the top of many parents' minds these days. And she identified a whole host of things that would be familiar to everyone, housing, affordability, economic security, climate change.
Speaker 3: AI. I just love how she packaged.
Speaker 4: All of those big concerns up into that idea of worried about tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I feel like I've got a theory that I would like to bring to the table of something else that I lay it on top Like I think, Yeah, there's all the obvious stuff we talk about, like money, like housing, affordability. They are all things that put the pressure on us. But this may seem silly that I got this from a TikTok clip, but I haven't stopped thinking about it. I want to play it to you with a woman talking about why she thinks kind of parents in the nineties had a bit of an easier goal of it compared.
Speaker 3: To us now. There are so many things I think about it.
Speaker 7: They did not know what the inside of anybody's house looked like unless they personally went there, Like comparison had to be at an all time low. Not only did they not know what the inside of anybody else's house look like unless they went there, but they also had.
Speaker 8: No idea what anybody else was doing. They were completely where they were, so when they were when my mom was at home with me, that's the only place she was. When my mom was pushing me on the swing set, she wasn't also having like three different conversations on her phone and ordering groceries like I was the only one she was talking to.
Speaker 7: I was the only one she could talk to.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: I think it's that I haven't stopped thinking about that thing of not knowing what the inside of someone else's house looks like. And maybe that sounds simplistic, but I think it's just an example of how much less information was on parents' minds. Like I think we're just we've got comparison. Lay it on top of all of these things that are going on fast. I mean, I think back I had three different night light slash sound machines because of all this information i'd read about brown noise and red light. And you know, it's just feels like an avalanche on top of you of information and everyone's trying to do the right thing, and that I think is adding to why we're finding it harder and why it is harder, not just that we're finding it harder us.
Speaker 4: Today, I was talking to some colleagues here at Mamma Mia about a video that we'd seen on Instagram recently that we were really annoyed by, where as a parenting influencer was kind of haranguing parents about this is the wrong thing to do, this is the right thing to do, and just being constantly told that the way you parent could be better, could be perfected, the way you're doing it is wrong. It just feels it's very demoralizing yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take your argument. I'm not going to I'm going to rail against it. I'm going to disagree with it respectfully, because your argument, Stacy, is predicated on the fact that it's an individual problem that we are all overwhelmed and burnt out because we are taking on too much information. But experts are saying and the kind of the landscape is saying that that's not the.
Speaker 2: Case, it's not always the case.
Speaker 1: That Actually what it is is that structural supports are not keeping up with how modern parenting has changed. And I'm also seeing a lot of nineties nostalgia parenting in my feed. You know, parents better in the nineties. Let's all parent like nineties parents. But I want to rail against that.
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Romanticizing something that was going on back then, and we don't know what parents.
Speaker 2: Of course, nineties parenting feels better to us.
Speaker 1: We were children and our parents probably protected us from a lot that was going on, and they faced different kinds of pressures. They abously put this article up on the Instagram and there were some great comments on there, and one of them was, I'm not burnt out from parenting, I'm burnt out from expectations to parent like I don't work full time and work like I'm not a parent, And I think that's a really big difference from the nineties. In the nineties, when you worked, it was often economic conditions were different, so one income families could sustain, you know, three to four children sometimes, and now that's not the case anymore. Both parents have to work. But not only that, you never feel like you switch off. You feel like you are constantly being pulled in these different directions because of phones, because of globalization, Like there's a lot of just the world has changed, and I'm not sure that the village that we speak of is there anymore in the way that it was in the nineties.
Speaker 4: But I also think how I think that's really true, Mon's and I appreciate you zooming out there and reminding us that this is not just our fault for scrolling TikTok, really is something that's happening out in the world. That said, I think the way that we think of children and our job as parents has also changed since the nineties. This crystallized for me the other day because I was reading a discussion online where someone said that a stranger harangued his kids in the street and sort of accused them of breaking a flower pot outside this person's house and they hadn't broken the flower pot. But this dad was really worried because he said, my children were harangued and abused by this stranger, and I'm really worried about the trauma of that.
Speaker 3: And the top comment on the post.
Speaker 4: Said that this person recalls doing clean Up Australia. Remember clean Up Australia started in the nineties, and they were like cleaning up a beach and this sort of middle aged man walks by and goes, you little shits belong in jail because he didn't understand what they were doing. But the point was like we had children were not quite as poseted as they are now, Like that was not an unusual event in the nineties to be sort of harangued or disciplined by a stranger, whereas now as parents, we conceive of that as trauma.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like the rains are really tight, aren't they. So it's when we take on a lot more responsibility over our child and the end product that they are, Like it's like we're.
Speaker 3: Trying to produce something.
Speaker 4: The kids just like, oh, someone call me a little shit. That's kind of rude day Yeah, yeah, totally. But what's the answer here? Like it is so much harder? Is it more just solidarity in the shittiness? Like is it that we're seeing from this that so many people are feeling this way? Is it kind of comfort in that everyone's feeling this way? Like what's what's the way out of it? I think that really helps Stacy to hear that other people are going through it for sure, Like, yeah, it feels like it makes me feel less alone.
Speaker 2: Gear change.
Speaker 1: Now I have a no context TikTok grab to play both of you.
Speaker 2: I kind of listen to this.
Speaker 3: Who wants to go see gam gam and Pamby? You guys want to see me mon goop goop?
Speaker 9: Look who's coming up the drive where it's Gma and Rumpel steel Skin.
Speaker 3: I want to spend the night with Grandma and Gatak.
Speaker 9: Who wants to go see Moonpie and poop deck Pappy?
Speaker 3: You guys want to get dropped off a Grandma and Robert House.
Speaker 1: Favorite? Can we just for a moment just take a beat and talk about what's happening to grandparents' names? Because Grandma and Grandpa are dead guys, you now have to be Gma, Moonpie Popsy.
Speaker 2: What this going on? I went, grandma and grandpa get daggy.
Speaker 4: I have the answer. When boomers became grandma and grandpa. So that's when Sagi they could not handle those old names.
Speaker 3: They couldn't like. That's when it happened things like they don't want to feel old, like.
Speaker 4: They called baby boomers. They're still coming to grips of the fact that they're no longer babies.
Speaker 3: That's true. There are some crazy ones out there.
Speaker 9: I love that.
Speaker 5: I really don't feel like his joke then, was that far fetched. I feel like I felt I've heard most of them.
Speaker 3: Into something absolutely true.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you don't even know someone's talking about their grandparents. The names are getting so far fetched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've thought of a formula to work out our grandparent name JOHNN.
Speaker 3: Here it please please?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you start with the first letter of your name, yeah, and then go backwards a letter. So let's start with you, Stacy. So go backwards in the alphabet, go backwards in the Okay. Yeah, so what letter have you got? Okay, Now you need to choose one of the following vibes. Okay, classical, whimsical, Feryl or wellness.
Speaker 3: I mean I'm going to go Feryl, of course.
Speaker 2: Or rather that's your name.
Speaker 1: Rasa Okay, I like it, thank you, okay, Bobby Rasa merely I go backwards in.
Speaker 3: There for that what I said? And I want Ferrol.
Speaker 2: Oh your zaza.
Speaker 3: Wait, tell me what I would have been if I was whimsical.
Speaker 1: If you're whimsicll, you'd beat re re.
Speaker 3: Oh that's kind of cute. I can't do that. What are you? Which one are you choosing? What am I?
Speaker 1: LM N l M l Okay, I'm gonna go. I can't go feral. You both chose Ferrel. I'll go wellness. Leaf leafy, leaf y.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mon's I think it's leaf leaf right.
Speaker 4: I'm a bit of a rap like leaf yeah yeah, like gam gam you can be leaf leaf yeah, nice leaf leaf.
Speaker 3: As you both know.
Speaker 5: Because I've I've made you look at pictures of my holiday at nauseum. I went to Fiji a couple of weeks ago and I said two particular words on repeat. One of them was, of course, bull because it is law that you say buller to every person you pass in Fiji, which is lovely and the second.
Speaker 2: The other word margarita.
Speaker 5: Actually yeah, was all inclusive was probably the other thing I would say, Yeah, there was a lot of margeritis consumed. But the other popular word that I said a lot more than I thought I wouldn't to the point where I noticed this on my holiday was sorry. And it wasn't for something that I was doing. It was for something that my daughter wasn't doing. So the Fijian people, if you've been, will know they're incredibly friendly and welcoming and love children and always will you know, try and engage your children, which is which is such a gorgeous part of their culture. But my daughter finds it quite tricky to engage with new people that she's that she's not familiar with, and in a lot of those places they're kind of coming out of nowhere as you're going in and out of a restaurant trying to talk to her. And I found, I mean, it's a good thing as a parent in one way for stranger danger purposes that your child is not overly familiar. But on the other hand, it can feel like a bit of a nightmare because your child's behaviors at odds with how people are naturally just stick expecting them to act, And so I found myself.
Speaker 3: Saying, oh, sorry, she's just a bit shy. Sorry, she's just a bit tired.
Speaker 4: Like I was coming up with all these reasons, like, have you guys done this before? Have you found you've done that just in public?
Speaker 7: I have?
Speaker 1: But I want to just get a clarifying question, if I may, What do you mean by saying how people expect them to react?
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like I think we can all admit that an ideal scenario for us if someone, you know, a waiter came up to our child in a cafe, would be that they would say, hello, may I please have a milkshake? Thank you, and engage with that person and look at that person. But for little kids, a lot of the time that's quite a difficult thing to do.
Speaker 3: And a lot of this is me. I know this, you know, a.
Speaker 5: Lot of this is the reflection of you, And that's that's the problem, is that you're kind of going or they're not acting in the way that this person may expect.
Speaker 3: Them to act.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, okay, And that was that was something that I was kind of noticing that I was doing a lot and then when I got home, I saw an article that really called me out the second I saw the headline, which was stop apologizing for your kid's personality. So the author, Samantha Drby, talked about how this can happen with all kinds of kids, like not just shy kids. It could be like restless kids who are moving around a lot in the restaurant.
Speaker 4: It could be kids who are overly keen to chat and you know, go up to strangers and regale them with stories of their favorite pokemon.
Speaker 5: Like this happens across the board. And so she spoke to a doctor who said kids may absorb that message that who they are is inconvenient or embarrassing over time. That can shape how they see themselves far more than any stranger's reaction ever could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not supposed to call kids shy anymore? Have you heard this? Yes, you're not supposed to say, oh they're shy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bad word.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I think you're putting a label on them, and so they're hearing that word on repeat, and then they will become that. But I don't know what the solution is that in that scenario, Well, there was.
Speaker 4: This illution put forward in the article, which is a phrase I always find it useful to get a script yes of what you say. And the phrase that they suggest is I'm not troubled by my child's behavior. So if someone is like, your child is being very wrafunctious, for instance, you could say I'm not troubled by my child's behavior, which is a little bit of a mouthful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I guess it's just getting that distinction clear maybe in our own heads about what's the difference between like inconvenience and rudeness, Like of pause, we don't want to tolerate rudeness with them. Of course, that's something they're going to be out in the world. They need to learn how to, you know, how to interact with other people, and we need to call them out on that. But is it just an inconvenience that it's not an ideal interaction, But it's not actually a problem. They're not doing any harm.
Speaker 1: This is such a can of worms because I think, and I'm going to zoom out, Amelia, I'm sorry, but we have a generation.
Speaker 2: Can you apologize for being yourself?
Speaker 3: Mond's yeah, I apologizing for your personality?
Speaker 1: Manique Bolli, Yeah, all right, if I won't apologize to my personality. I read an article this week about how there's a whole generation of kids, teenagers who do not know how to close a conversation. So they don't understand how to wrap one up because they have spent their lives communicating on screens and on messenger and when you finish, the conversation never ends. You just kind of walk away and don't continue its. Yes, those skills haven't translated into real life. So I read this story about this family who at dinner time at the table, they take turns practicing how to close the conversation, like how to wrap it up.
Speaker 2: And I do think that these soft skills, these social skills, we.
Speaker 1: Might have a bit of a gap with kids, and I wonder whether it's something that schools not need to start to pick up. I know this is controversial, and in America, some schools have started these kind of soft skills lessons to teach kids around social what's appropriate, how do you read a room, how do you understand someone's feelings and react in the situation. And in the US it's become really divisive because a lot of the conservatives there say, get your miths off it. That's a parent's job and it's not the job for the schools. So yeah, it's really interesting. I think soft skills are really hard. And if you have a child who is ASD and they don't understand those kinds of skills, they do need to be learned. And it's like someone who's neuro typical and who just innately understands them. It's like, how do you teach that to someone? It's really tricky. I've taken it down to totally different tach, a big tax. Sorry, I won't apologize.
Speaker 4: No, I love that, tach, but you're making me think that even as the conservatives are sort of saying man as is something parents have to teach. I think the sort of ultra progressive position would be that kids are not public property. That it just because a stranger, just because a person out of the world chooses to interact with your child, your child is not under any obligation to respond along the lines that that person might want, particularly given that that person might come from a very different generation with very different expectations. You know, manners change over time too. Sometimes in public I've noticed if someone talks to one of my children and maybe ask them like where they're going or what their favorite subject at school is, and they don't necessarily feel like speaking. My instinct is always to sort of prompt them to speak, to say, speak to the nice lady. And then I realized that a much more powerful way of showing them what to do would be to speak on their behalf in a way that I would hope they would want to speak. So like if they say, where are you going, I might say, well, we're going to a party right now. Rather than constantly sort of elbowing the child to speak, maybe I can model it for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And this article spoke a lot as well about that balance of not wanting to dim their light, as in like not wanting to dim their personal like if they're really rambunctious or they're really inquisitive and want to go up and ask people lots of questions about themselves, like random questions, to not try and stamp that out of them. But how, you know, how do you strike that balance between those things? But I think, as you said, it's more I guess modeling, because when you put the pressure on and say say what we're doing, or say bull look at the perse se that you know that's that's never going to get literally everyone, Yeah, everyone ends up having a miserable time, but they have.
Speaker 1: To live in the world, and the world sometimes is uncomfortable, And Amelia, I know, like your intentions are good and I'd probably do the same thing, but it's a little bit snowplow to come in over the top and say, well, we're doing this, Like kids need to be uncomfortable and they kind of need to learn the skills.
Speaker 2: We can't always pull them out of danger the skills.
Speaker 4: I think my bigger point is that the skills might be changing.
Speaker 3: Like, Yeah, the idea of like is it.
Speaker 4: Is it necess necessarily expected that when some person that they've never met before comes up to them on the street because kids used to be regarded more as public property than they are now, and engages them in conversation. Isn't necessarily on the kid to have to respond to this person. Like if a random man walks up to me on the street and says, are you going to a party later in that nice dress?
Speaker 3: I don't have to respond to him. So one might ask why we expect kids to have to always.
Speaker 4: Engage with strangers just because strangers choose to engage with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good call.
Speaker 1: All right, after that depth, let's come back up to the surface and talk about things that we're recommending this week. It's kind of the things that we're loving sick really, or that we want you to go and try in your because you've got so much free time in your hands.
Speaker 2: All right, Stacy, what have you got?
Speaker 5: Mine is a bit of a nineties throwback. I completely forgot that these existed. I loved them as a kid, and I've just bought them for my daughter. See monkeys, So I don't know what this is. What did you have sea monkeys?
Speaker 3: Mons?
Speaker 1: No, we weren't a rich family. Only the rich families had sea monkey Stacy. They show nice flex Stacy. No, rich families have ponies.
Speaker 3: Rich families don't have literally rolls, Roy.
Speaker 4: Stacey, stop stop making drinks with your ice machine that's built into the fridge, and explain to us what a sea monkey just.
Speaker 3: Cost about three bucks back in the day.
Speaker 5: They are now the grand total of eighteen dollars to buy sea monkeys, which is.
Speaker 9: A lot better than three bucks back in the day could buy a house. Well, they're a lot better than like trying to buy my kid a dog or a cat. Or something like that that's going to be a long term investment. I was like, let's start with sea monkeys. I don't really understand what they are, but it's this little.
Speaker 2: I think they're a bacteria. Stacey, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: It's a little plastic tank, like a little fish tank that you get and you can get them a Kmar. You can get them on Amazon, little tank and you put this little sachet of stuff in. Right by the next day they look like little seahorses.
Speaker 3: I find that very uncertainly.
Speaker 2: Are they dead? Are the still alive?
Speaker 4: How do you think that you can get the same result by leaving milk in the fridge for three weeks.
Speaker 3: I'm not really sure. I'm only one day in it. Just let me have my whimsy.
Speaker 5: You know, we always talk about a whimsy deficit, and I just think what is more whimsical than owning little magical berries that flow around the aquarium. I think they're great and everyone should get them. It's like a tamagotchi, you know, low steaks pet, a tamagotchi.
Speaker 3: Bit gems. Yeah, yeah, bring gems into your house. That's what I'm recommending.
Speaker 4: I also have something from my childhood which is hopefully a bit more hygienic. It's called The Kid's Book of Paper Love, and.
Speaker 5: That does sound more hygienic. Fine, I'll give you that this book. I didn't know these books existed. So basically I was a kid who would raise the office supplies when my parents took me into their office. Yes, I was like stealing all the post it notes, like I probably started the global financial crisis or something. But anyway, I loved paper and stationery as a kid. And then I've discovered recently that there are these books.
Speaker 4: They're paperback books that you can buy on Amazon because they are I think they're books from the US, so they're actually quite hard to find in bookshops here. But they're full of like paper delights, so everything from wrapping paper to like fans, to stickers to like little like little things you can cut out and like put on a little display, and they're just like these little books of July. So you like pull them out and it's all cute and it's just great for a rainy day. They cost you about twenty two dollars. Their very existence like brings happiness to me. I could lie and tell you it's about scissor skills. But really, I just love paper and I want my kids to love it too.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my kid's very into paper. I'm going to get this because they sound fun. Yeah, they're great.
Speaker 2: That's really cool.
Speaker 1: It has had a terrible flashback when you said raiding your parents' office supplies. When I was like six, I went through this phase of really loving tuna, like canned tuna, and one day I used to tip it out into an ice cream container and just eat it. I know, I was just doing the protein gains.
Speaker 2: And I was a kid.
Speaker 4: This is way before my time, like a champion athlete because of protein maxing from the age of six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's impressive.
Speaker 1: And one day my dad took us to his work and he worked in a nice office, and some inexplicable reason, I put the tuna container in his filing cabinet and shut the.
Speaker 2: Door on it, and then we went home for the weekend.
Speaker 1: And when he went back to work on Monday, the whole office stunk like tuna, and everyone was like and he found the offending to anyway, did he just have that terrible flashback?
Speaker 2: He didn't lose his.
Speaker 1: Job, but he came home like with a face of thunder and I blamed my baby sister.
Speaker 2: I'm really sorry, Bridget, and I'm sorry Dad, Dad.
Speaker 3: We have a whimsy to deficit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my anti recommendation. Don't give you kids tuna in an ice cream container for real, though, My recommendation this week is to put YouTube on.
Speaker 2: I know what, I know me saying this.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you it takes a lot for me to put YouTube on in my house, but I'm doing it, and I'm putting it on Danny Go this weekend. If you have kids under the age of eight, you would know Danny Go. He's a children's YouTube entertaining He's now on Netflix. We've talked about him before. His channel has nearly five billion views, and last Wednesday, Danny Go announced that his son, his fourteen year old son Isaac, had died. Isaac had a rare genetic disorder that led to cancer, and Danny Go he'd been open about it. In December last year, he was diagnosed with stage three cancer, and Danny Go canceled his tour to sort of care for him in his last months. Now, the amazing thing that's happened this week is that every parent in my life has started deliberately playing Danny Go videos just to generate views and push the algorithm money and so that these videos can send the family money. It's sort of like a really modern day Mata YouTube kind of go fundme, where there's this collective grief around Danny Go and his family and his wife who's in his videos as well, and everyone. Every parent I notice feels so helpless and heartbroken by it. And it's just this tiny little act of saying we're here. You know, have more views, have more clicks, have more views, have more views, have more money for your family, for your terrible, terrible situation. So that's my recommendation is put Danny Go on and let it run. Just let it run as much as you like, and just watch this man be so joyful and whimsical for your children, and try not to sob openly.
Speaker 4: We don't recommend sea monkeys, can I just say overall concern that was setting some sort of public health mind the dud record of the week.
Speaker 2: You're just hilarious.
Speaker 3: I'll report back next week on my progress with the sea monkeys. I love like I got this for my daughter. It's chargealy for me, Like I'm.
Speaker 5: So bumped by these sea moneys, and you won't apologize.
Speaker 1: I won't.
Speaker 3: I will not apologize for my whimsical personality.
Speaker 4: I will not.
Speaker 1: Can we get some show sea monkeys and just put them in the background of our video and they can just become part of our community?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we'll look after them for the whole two hours that they'll live, and then we'll flash them down the toilet work.
Speaker 5: I definitely won't lose interest in them in two weeks and forget to feed them.
Speaker 3: Definitely not.
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 2: That's what we all need.
Speaker 1: We all need just something else to take care of in our lives, don't we. All right, that is all we have time for this week on Parenting Out Loud. Thank you for spending your time with us. Hey, it's like side note.
Speaker 2: I know we're not supposed to toot our own horn, but.
Speaker 1: The show is growing and growing and we think it's because you're sharing it with other parents that you know. So thank you for sharing it, thank you for following it and liking it, and thank you for coming back here every Saturday to listen to some smart parenting content. We love that you're part of our community and that you're getting behind us.
Speaker 2: And we're here for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: The comments have been so lovely. I'm always lurking. I'm always scared to look, but then when I lurk, I'm like, look at these excellent people like they're always really good feedback. Really yeah, I just love it. So thank you to everyone who's taken the time to do that. It's really kind and what yeah if you're so, yes, Hello, have a great week.
Speaker 2: We will be back here next Saturday morning.
Speaker 1: Mum and mea acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.