Speaker 1: From Mamma Mia.
Speaker 2: Welcome to this spill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodnick and I'm Tina Burke, and welcome to a very special round up episode of the Spill. Don't Act all coy.
Speaker 1: Tina's been desperate to be in one of our round up episodes.
Speaker 2: Em and I usually do them on a Friday, yes, and famously you're not here on a Friday. Famously, I am the Monday Tuesday gal and sometimes the news cycle just too excited. It's too much of the time, and I am not a round up girly. And I love the round of episodes. There so much fun.
Speaker 1: I'm peo.
Speaker 2: People do love them. That's what numbers tell us, and I love to be beloved. So that's like figures crossed. Yes, So we thought as a special treat to get us through, I was only gonna say hump day, but I hate that's such a discussion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's never say that. Why did you do that? Sorry?
Speaker 2: To get us through midweek, we decided to give you guys a little extra treat of a roundup, and today's roundup is the underrated rom coms that you've probably never seen that we desperately love a great description. A great description. I'm not sure how I'll make that into a podcast title, but here we go. Because you and I love rom coms, Yes, and we have since we were tiny, tiny children, and they probably warped our minds a little bit, but that's totally fine.
Speaker 1: And it's very rare.
Speaker 2: That someone says to me, have you seen this rom com? And I haven't seen it?
Speaker 1: True, very true, We've seen them all.
Speaker 2: And so we're gonna recommend movies now that are probably in the depths of some streaming service you don't even know you still subscribe to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that we think you should watch.
Speaker 2: And I've been put under strict orders that I cannot mention while you were sleeping sales pullman or set it up. And I respect those orders, yes, those.
Speaker 1: Rules that come from me.
Speaker 2: But just to explain, because you know what, nothing gets you in the mood for a whimsical romantic comedy round up like some hard and fast rules.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's Verry Monica Galler of you.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, yes, we're not doing movies that we have talked about on previous roundups. And because I've done so many romantic comedy round ups, now we can link a few in our show notes.
Speaker 1: We've done so many I had to tie.
Speaker 2: No, this is your first one. This is your first one. That's why I said, you pick for movies. I don't know what you've picked. You can go to town. I've been doing this podcast for seven years, so I'm really I'm really having to think outside.
Speaker 1: The box here for my rom comms.
Speaker 2: But I have found three rom coms that I'm pretty sure I've never talked about before. So you know, and what were your rules? So we have to have seen it a lot, and we just have to hope that the viewers.
Speaker 1: No, that wasn't part of the rule. You've invented that.
Speaker 2: I thought you said that to me. Well, I took it on board, and these are movies I love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do have to be movies we've seen.
Speaker 2: But I didn't make that a rule because I did think that was just self explanatory.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I didn't want someone to see the title and be excited about a rom com round up and click on to hear me talking about the same three movies I told you before.
Speaker 1: Anyway, here we go. Okay, because it's your special.
Speaker 2: Day, so scared the special day, you may go First, what is your first underrated rom com that people have to watch? My first rom com is Plus One? Oh my god, I actually don't think I've ever seen that. Okay, it's so rare that someone stumps me. If Emily he was he she would have said Durassic Park two or something weird like.
Speaker 1: She would have been right and we would have a fight. Okay.
Speaker 2: Plus One it came out in twenty nineteen. It stars Maya Erskine from Pen fifteen. Yes, or people might have seen her in like Mister and Missus Smith. She starts opposite someone who I think is just like the ultimate rom com royalty NEPO Baby Jack Quaid. Oh we love Jack Kwai, son of Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan. So he has rom com built into his bones. But elsewhere he's been like on The Boys, he was, you know, killing ruin the Hunger Games, but this was.
Speaker 1: He's really sorry about that. He's so sorry.
Speaker 2: He has to apologize every fan convention. I think how The Boys has done that. He needs to go do like a He needs to be paired with some other fabulous actress with incredible on screen presence, and they need to do a big screen rom com together yes, it's my dream for him. I think so because he is very good in a rom com. It turns out because he has the chops. So this was more I would say it has all the temppoles of like a classic rom com when it comes to like the story, but it feels more indie. It feels just more like grassroots. I'll say, Okay, so the so what I mean by it being like a classic rom com setup is you're gonna die. So Alison Ben are friends from college, and the movie picks up where they're at a point in their lives where they're going to a lot of weddings, like it's wedding season in their friendship circle. She has recently broken up with her long term partner. He's just like constantly single and like pining for love and looking for love, and that's his whole deal. He's like, when will a girl choose me?
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm waders like playing me in a movie.
Speaker 3: But I.
Speaker 2: And So they've got so many weddings to attend coming up, and classic rom com She's like, what if we just go together and we'll go with each other to all of these weddings.
Speaker 1: I'll help you hook up with all the hot girls. You see, you'll.
Speaker 2: Just kind of be my pal around because I'm trying to head over my breakup and I'm so okay. They're not pretending to date, not pretending today, they're just going with each A lot of movies that have done that, a lot of movies with fake dating, not this one.
Speaker 1: This is more just like I need a companion.
Speaker 2: I don't want to face all these weddings alone, because they're both for their own reasons, not wanting to do that. We follow them through the weddings, and, as you can predict, because it's a rom com, at some point and chip turns to more. Oh but wait, do they go to a destination wedding and they have to share a bed or something like that. There's a bit of bed shair, but I will say that the bed sharing is very funny. Yeah, And it's like, I think this is just a deeply funny, well written rom com. So she could easily have become one of those kind of annoying quirky girls because she is very like. First of all, her outfits the best wrong Commo outfits you'll ever see, really such a high call verse. It's probably I'm probably wrong. I'm probably not, but I don't know. Don't back down now. But I remember when I watched it, I was like, great overalls, great wedding guest dresses.
Speaker 1: She's one of those.
Speaker 2: Wrong coom leading ladies, the wrong thing overalls. Does she fall down a lot? No, it's more like she just has no like everything that comes out of her mouth, You're like, why would you say that? And also I want to be your friend. Okay, it's more that kind of roy from people you meet on vacation. No, no, okay, it's not annoying. Poppy was annoying. And I like that movie a lot, but Poppy was irritating. So obviously, yeah, they go to a lot of weddings and there's just really incredible chemistry. And I think one of these superior like third act fight scenes that I've seen in a modern rom com, like you know, like how to Lose a Guy in ten Days, that fight scene when she's in the dress outside and she's like, you.
Speaker 1: Can't lose something you never had, like a clutter top tier. I think this.
Speaker 2: I searched this fight scene on TikTok when I need a little like rom com possessed really, yes, because sometimes I do that and I know that's really weird, but sometimes I search that scene and every time I do, all the comments are like, wow, this is this looks like a great movie, and I'm like, and it is. Please go and watch it. It's so incredible. All wait, I just need to go back to that last for a second. When's the last time you did this two weeks ago?
Speaker 1: Did it? Okay? Does something happen that at work that day that I should know about?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: I hate to say on the pod that in this Sorry guys, we're just.
Speaker 2: Having a quick hr meaning if you guys want to just talk amongst yourself for five minutes.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: So, in case you couldn't tell, I'm very single and I love to.
Speaker 2: Read like I don't imagine why I sit at home googling fight scenes in rom com of Getting out There. This is one of two. So it's this and it is the monologue from Gray's Anatomy when Lexi tells Mark I love you right before they go on the plane. Those two that is just so weirdly specific. Google those two and sometimes they're not on TikTok. So I do have to go on YouTube and like search for a while because sometimes people play like a sad TikTok's song in the background, and I don't want to listen to that song. I want the real, authentic scene. I'm not saying you should do this, but if you're using is this much of a crutch, why don't you download them and have them on your phone your video folder. Well I've thought about that, but when I went to do plus one the other day, I had to buy it, and I didn't want to buy it.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I want the DVD. I want to, but I'm not going to spend any money.
Speaker 2: On this, you know, I will if I can find the DVD. I'm trying to build my physical media collection. Okay, Yeah, something else to discuss. But I think it's good to look at sad rom com scenes when you're just like feeling a bit like, oh, I'm too happy.
Speaker 1: You know. No, I've never felt that, not once.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you got to take it once. I've never once thought I'm too happy. Sometimes I've never once googled such a thing. But don't you ever like read like smart or something, or like a romance book or whatever you want to call it, and like you suddenly believe in love and the world's great and you're like, that's not real. I'm going to have to knock it down the stuff and remember reality. I think it's not real all the time. That's a separate issue. Lots to talk about in therapy. Should we ever go?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I really like my weekly psychic come out that's going off. I can't stress so much.
Speaker 2: One that's not therapy, okay, plus one plus one and just on streaming services, right, yes, so bounces around the streaming services because it wasn't a streaming service original. So at the moment, it's on Prime Video Okay in Australia obviously, globally, I don't know where.
Speaker 1: Okay, great shout out to our listeners the world.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 1: You guys don't have to work that one out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you give it a Google and you say where to watch, Google will always tell you.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you for explaining the rules of Google. To move on from that. Okay, So we've talked about my first one. I'm very excited. What is your first underrated rom com? Okay?
Speaker 2: I watched this movie so much as a kid in the like last year or so. I wanted to rewatch it, but I did have a thought to myself. Maybe this wasn't a real movie, maybe because I had a really intense imagination as a kid. I still do, like I having an got one foot in this world and like one foot in a completely different realm.
Speaker 1: And I thought to myself, like, is that a real movie? Or did I imagine it?
Speaker 2: Like, surely no one actually made this movie and started it, but they did, and you've probably seen it because I feel like we had similar vibes growing up. Simply irresistible starring Sarah Michelle Geller.
Speaker 1: It's ringing bells. What happens? Oh my god? Maybe through maybe you've blinked.
Speaker 2: It out, maybe because this movie it's I know the title. It was very poorly reviewed and with good I still love it. I loved it then, I love it now. So you're a Buffy fan when you oh yeaheah shit already, So it was just like you were gonna love it anyway because of Sarah Michelle Geller. Yes, so Sarah Michelle Geller plays the lead. It's kind of a bit of a shitty story because the main ah, yes, hit me little, I mean, you got it. I didn't know this as a kid. Otherwise I didn't know about Hollywood sexism. But oh yeah, who would as like a ten year old a child?
Speaker 1: But now I know.
Speaker 2: So the movie was originally meant to be about a middle aged woman.
Speaker 1: So back then she's probably thirty.
Speaker 2: And she had never experienced love, but she found love through cooking. And they offered the role to Holly Hunter and she couldn't do it. Then they offered it to Sarah Disica Parker, but then they said she's too old, even though she also.
Speaker 1: Would have been in her thirties.
Speaker 2: And then I'm sure some executives said, hey, instead of this being like a woman in her forties, like experiencing love for the first time, how about we just make her young and hot, And so they gave the role to Sarah Michelle Geller. Okay, that's like Sarah Michelle Geller's fault. No, that's not her fault. So it happens. So Sarah Michelle Geller is a young woman living in New York. Her name's Amanda Shelton. Now, Amanda was very close to her mother growing up. This bit feels like you've got mail. Her mother ran a restaurant. They were in the restaurant together every day. Her mother sadly passed away, and now Amanda is trying to keep her mother's little restaurant, beautiful boutique restaurant going. The only issue with that is Amanda, pretty and sweet as she is, can't cook, kind of like heat a saucepinner, can't do anything called queen. Yeah, absolutely can't cook. And like the staff that was still there with her mother was still working there, but you know, they can't afford to keep their restaurant open. And so one day Samashad Gella goes to the ull A Sermisha Gella, herna's Amanda. Amanda goes to the little food market and this strange man who kind of looks a little bit like a leprecorn.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think I remember this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah you do, Yeah, you do, because you know what I'm about to say that. His name's gene O'Reilly and he sells Amanda some crabs, live crabs to cook. When she gets back to the restaurant, and he's like, I knew your mother, and she's like, okay. Weird man gets back to the restaurant, she cooks the crabs.
Speaker 1: This is a horror movie. And some of the.
Speaker 2: Places, one of the crabs escapes and he's a magic crab, and he gives her the power to become an excellent chef, but she starts cooking her feelings into the food she's making. Now, I kept looking for a synopsis for this movie to it kind of explained it because I was like, oh, I was a kid when I watched this, Like maybe I missed it. No, No, every synopsis I found says, for unclear reasons, Amanda begins cooking her feelings into her food, and she becomes an impressive creative chef. At the same time as the food is taking off, this guy called Tom Bartlett, who is like the manager of this big department store, comes in with his very intense girlfriend played by Amanda Pete, who's really a great miss. Yes, yes, yeah, the crabs rang the little crab, he's such a it's like a puppet the crab.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not. It's not a real crab that they just put magic on.
Speaker 2: He like, and he shuffles and he goes missing in the kitchen and somehow he's making magic hauppet. It's got like a reverse Rattatui where he's like he's helping someone become ash.
Speaker 1: Actually know, I think about it what coming on?
Speaker 2: They would have come out after this, Yeah, in the two thousands. Yeah, okay, well let's look at that pleasurism. But Amanda is unaware of the crab. The crabs like in the background. Yeah, okay, say. Tom Bartlett is played by Sean Patrick Flannery. So Tom and Chris they kind it's a magical thing. They're kind of walking by the restaurant. They're like, why don't we go here? And she's like, oh, to this little creepy restaurant in the corner, I guess. So so they go in, and obviously Amanda not.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I guess. It's really weird.
Speaker 2: It kind of falls in love with Tom because she thinks he's hot, and she is kind of annoyed by his girlfriend Chris because she's really intense, and she goes into the kitchen to cook them lunch and accidentally cooks her feelings into their food. So Amanda goes crazy and smashes all the plates because she's so angry at Tom because obviously it's like she wants them to break up so consciously, and she leaves, and Tom like kind of starts falling in.
Speaker 1: Love with Amanda.
Speaker 2: There's also a b plot with Patricia Clarkson, Yeah, who plays like one of the other department store managers or like an assistant manager, and she kind of figures out what's happening, so she like steals Amanda's like these are clayres that she makes to make her boss worm in love with her. It's all very intense. So then Tom is also opening a restaurant in the Shopping Santate because that's his dream. Remember in the nineties that was a thing like every yeah, like Shopping Santa would have like a really restaurant.
Speaker 1: In it, like the Davags. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when Amanda goes to the store because like obviously, Tom's like, I'm so sorry my girlfriend smashed all of your plates. Why don't you come to the store and I'll buy you new plates? So she does, and then he was like, why don't you cook for a restaurant because he's like still in love with her from the food. So wait, they start to fall in love over a period of time, and twice they float in the air together.
Speaker 1: That's important.
Speaker 2: The way you've described it makes me think, like you I have seen this and was a child, or maybe you've had a fever dream and like like it's ringing bells, but in a way where I'm like, I need to watch this because what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you it's actually a beautiful rom com.
Speaker 2: You just have to suspend all disbelief because it's like, obviously a lot of movies have magic in it, but this magic is not explained, and it's also just never really kind of takes off. They take off, as I said, they float together twice because he comes into the kitchen and they're cooking together and they it's again they're all cooking sexy and their sexy music the crabs there in the background, and like smokes comes and they start floating. Yeah, and then he gets freaked out because he's like, oh my god, you're a witch, which not untrue.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then later on that night.
Speaker 2: She has to cook for everyone at the big restaurant opening, and she gets so upset that she starts crying, and so when she serves the food to one hundred guests, they all start sobbing. And later on when she's feeling it, karma, they like eat the main course and they get karma, and then when they have the dessert, she's like thinking about how in love she is with Tom, so they all get a bit sexy, and then everyone starts falling in love with each other. And then she's leaving and Tom sees a spoiler a lot, but there's a scene he chases her and then he sends her a paper plane because he loves paper planes. Yeah, to like, And she goes and picks a dress up off the floor because they're int a shopping center, and then they get to float again.
Speaker 1: So much is happening?
Speaker 2: Yeah, too much, I'd say, But I like a high concept rom com.
Speaker 1: Like I feel like they really did them for a while there. When did this come out? Nineteen ninety nine?
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like late nineties, early two thousands. They were like, and what if this person had magic?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think the term is magical really, which is a completely real world where like overall magic doesn't exist, so like not like Harry Potter, but there's one magical.
Speaker 1: One weird thing that is like woven into the world. Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 2: The reviews for this movie absolutely brutal. Everyone's like, Sarah Michelle Gella is a great actress, which she is. I'd actually say she's the greatest actress.
Speaker 1: Of all time. I wouldn't agree.
Speaker 2: I would say that that's fine, a great disagree obviously, because I'm a Buffy fan, I have to say that she's amazing. Yeah, she's really good in this shit commits. I actually do think all the reviews are very much like because I was like, maybe this movie like people loved it when it came out. Nope, Nope, I hated it, okay, because they were like, this is a ridiculous movie. It makes no sense and it feels weird all the way through. In saying that simply irresistible. I watched it on Prime Video the last time I rewatched it, which was this year, highly recommend. I love that a whimsical time. Also, you have sometimes it's fun to watch people like eat lovely food in a movie, like it's cozy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. That's why I watch it own reservations all the time.
Speaker 2: This is like food kissing, food kissing and a spell and a magical crab. And I think at the end, like they're kissing any scuts pop for this this little crab book.
Speaker 1: What a time? Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: So my second rom com, which you may not have seen, is Man Up, which was released in twenty fifteen and It stars Lake Bell and Simon Peg. What how have I not seen that? I mean, I do like Simon Peg, but I love Lake Bell. I find it's so funny. I find her funny in movies and very much in real life.
Speaker 1: I really enjoy her, and in this she's British. Isn't that fun? Oh twist?
Speaker 2: So this movie also does star Sharon Horgan and Phoebe waller Bridge in supporting roles, so it's got a really good cast and it's I don't always like this genre, but I feel like the.
Speaker 1: British do it really well.
Speaker 2: Which is a rom com essentially set over the course of one day slash night.
Speaker 1: Oh so like one weekend, no one day.
Speaker 2: So I also tossed up recommending Rylane, which I also just mentioned last week on the pod, which stars the New Black Panther David Johnson.
Speaker 1: That's all similarly British, really cool, really.
Speaker 2: Funny, basically said over one day. But man up is she shouted to my sister. She told me I would love it. She was right, and I don't think anyone else is watching this but me. So in a classic rom com formula, she's a thirty four year old journalist who has been dating unsuccessfully for the past four years.
Speaker 1: But who a bit of me.
Speaker 2: It's really weird how we were grew up watching all these movies about journal lessons and that's why most of us got into this industry. And then the harsh reality is most of them is like, look, they're so sad and overwork. Yeahs, and that's not true. She's so tired and alone, understand.
Speaker 1: So she is trying to get that therapy number.
Speaker 2: You a therapist, contact us at the Stele, which I do a live therapy episode of Tina and I. But all of our problems we present them to you through the realm of movies, through the rum.
Speaker 1: Of pop culture. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So she is on her way to her parents' fortieth wedding anniversary party, So the vibe is essentially she's been single, her family's a bit on her case.
Speaker 1: She's going to a party where her whole.
Speaker 2: Family is like in love and happy and like celebrating their parents long lasting love. So she's already a bit like yeah, whatevs.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: She gets on the train to head towards London, and sitting opposite her is the most annoying young woman ever and her name is Jessica, and Jessica is on her way to a blind date. And as you can imagine, for someone a bit cynical, a woman in her young twenties who's really optimistic and annoying, and you have to sit opposite her on a train for a.
Speaker 1: Really long time, I would hate it. Worst night man. No one's happy.
Speaker 2: So Jessica is not aware who she's meeting. Obviously it's blind date. So she's got a self help book called six Billion People and You, and so they kind of have like an argument about this self help worow and.
Speaker 1: She's like a real book, right, Yeah, it's probably not a real book, but it sounds but it feels like the vibe.
Speaker 2: So it's very much like a book about you being like empowering yourself and YadA YadA. And as you can imagine lake Bell's character very much just a lake Bell vibe, is like, this is stupid and I hate it. She falls asleep, she wakes up, the woman has left the book behind with a note for her, essentially being like, Queen, you need this. That's so passive, aggressive, so so annoying. So she leaves the book behind. So then Nancy like chases after her to be like, hey, you left your book behind.
Speaker 1: I don't want this.
Speaker 2: How dare you insinuate that I need this book? But finds herself standing in the spot that this girl was meant to be holding the book to find her blind date. And then a man appears and his name is Jack played by Simon Pegg, and he thinks that she's the Jessica girl that he was supposed.
Speaker 1: To be meeting. So what Jessica stood this guy up.
Speaker 2: Jessica's gone to get another book to replace it because she just felt like this Steva.
Speaker 1: Needed the book so bad.
Speaker 2: So Jessica's like, I'll get a second book, come back and meet my blind day and we'll catch up and we'll connect. But in the meantime, Nancy and Jack meet and for whatever inexplicable reason, Nancy decides she's just going to play along and she's like, yep, that's me. You're blind date, so excited to hang out with you all day, And then they spend the day sort of getting to know it. Jessica, I can't reveal, okay, but I said, but we don't forget about her because no from Jessica from Jessica Horror Movie. This is horror, creepy and weird. Yeah, woman's stolen your date. Yeah, and now you're alone being stood up. It's very upsetting. But they kind of spend the day hanging out. They're going for drinks, you know, it's like one of those things where oh, we're on a walk, we're having funch, should we get another drink?
Speaker 1: Should we do this?
Speaker 2: And they start to like obviously reveal things about themselves and here character like is annoying. Let's be upsrunt about it. You are, I see why you're single. Like the whole time you're watching, you're like, I get it. But it's very much about like their little insecurities and their things they're working on, and they like open up to each other. And as you can imagine, at some point in time, the fact that she's pretending to be another woman is going to cause some complications. But it's very funny. It's very witty and sharp, and I just think it is a perfect British rom com moment if you want something that just is like light and fresh and crispy. There's nothing too serious, but.
Speaker 1: It is fun. Well unless you Jessica.
Speaker 2: Unless you're Jessica, and then it's like and then it's very upsetting, very serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then it's garbage.
Speaker 2: But so that was quite an uncomplicated recommendation from me, unlike simply irresistible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a whole situation.
Speaker 2: I can't say anymore obviously because I don't want to spoil it for people. But it's really really fun and lake Belle should be in more leading roles and stop playing the friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah she's all it's her.
Speaker 2: For a time, there was her and Judy Grier playing the quirky best friend.
Speaker 1: In every rom com they're always besties ladies.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so people can watch that on Prime Love. Okay, Now I didn't mean to do this, is how I should preface this. Next recommendation is, I didn't mean to pick two rom coms with a magical supernatural element to them, but that's what I did, because again I've talked about rom coms so many times in this podcast, I had to bring the people new recommendations. I rewatched this on the weekend because not even thinking I would do it for this, just for shits and gi Yeah, not even thinking that I would.
Speaker 1: Do it for this podcast.
Speaker 2: Is that if whenever I'm home on Sunday, Ashton and I try and watch a classic movie I haven't watched before, or a classic movie only kind of half watched She's a Kid and I missed the gist of it. Yeah, just to make sure that my movie brain stays shup.
Speaker 1: You know, you're so classy, like I'm just like that before.
Speaker 3: No, you should. I tried.
Speaker 1: It's so fun.
Speaker 2: I get like a little snack to watch the movie with like the theme to the movie, and then I have one, obviously, and then I had my fresh flowers because I went to the market in the morning, and I l like all my candles, and then I put my phone in another room so I'm not like distracted, because I wouldn't have been when this movie came out.
Speaker 1: This movie came up before I was born.
Speaker 2: And I watched my movie like I'm in an old school, like you are a rom com leader, like I am a rom com leading late, but not the annoying ones that just watched Breakfast and Tifties over and over again. Yeah yeah, you know, like that's always like the favorite movie of like girls and rom comms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do. It is a good movie there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the movie is called Splash.
Speaker 1: Yes, have you seen it? I have seen Splash.
Speaker 2: It's such a good movie, but I feel like most people haven't seen it. But it might have had a bit of a resurgence this year because it stars Daryl Hannah. And obviously Daryl Hannah came back into the zeitgeist this year because of the lovely Drey Hemingway playing her in Love Story, but obviously a lot of people didn't like her portrayal in the series, and then Daryl Hannah herself wrote a big op ed about how she was portrayed and that it was made up and she didn't want people to see her this way, which I think led a lot of people to go back and look at some of Daryl Hannah's most classic movies, one of them being Splash. So this movie came out before you were born, but even before I was born.
Speaker 1: Wow, so it's really old. Yeah so old. Well, I just don't like people say, oh, I wasn't born.
Speaker 2: That movie came out. I was like, that's not the criteria for a good movie. Famously, you can watch movies.
Speaker 1: You can watch old movies before you were born.
Speaker 2: And this is what stresses me out when I talk about older movies like some age no, no, like people assume that you only watch movies when they come out at cinema. So like once I was and I was at a dinner once and this. I don't want to call her a bimbo. That's that's a redactive theme word. A lady without a lot of thoughts in her head. I was talking about Gold with the Wind and what like something, because it like like an and essay had come out about it because it is very problematic. Yeah, and I was like, oh, but when the movie came out, it was this, this and there She goes, oh, well the theaters really.
Speaker 1: Packed when you went to see it. No, because I'm not seventy years old.
Speaker 3: What do you mean? What I know?
Speaker 2: You didn't describe her too harshly? Okay, I don't say she doesn't listen to this spell. I'm sure because she would know more about the did you know what I mean? I mean, I think everyone pretty much that's like me. Then talking about that's like me, then talking about breakfast Tiffany's, and someone saying to me, did you go to Opening Weekend? No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wasn't born yet anyway. Yes.
Speaker 2: So Splash came out in nineteen eighty four from them, Let's move on. Watch movie is from Before You're Born as well. I'll say yes on that because a lot that's when some of the best movies.
Speaker 1: Ever yeah made.
Speaker 2: I mean, you won't see some of the best cinema of all time. Yeah, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Get it together.
Speaker 2: So Splash came out in nineteen eighty four and it's a romantic fantasy comedy film directed by Ron Howard, one of the most famous film directors of all time. As I said, it stars Darryl Hannah and Tom Hanks, Yes, and their chemistry is excellent in it. Like Tom Hanks has obviously been in so many incredible rom coms, and he's always sort of like held up to me. It's like him and Meg Ryan. Obviously they're incredible together.
Speaker 1: But him and Dal Hannah.
Speaker 2: Pretty spicy and pretty spicy and romantic. A little bit of tension, yes, quite a bit attention in that one. So Tom Hanks plays a man called Alan, which I guess in that eighties might have been a sexy name. I don't think it's ever been a sexy name, not for no. Well, it's kind of a bit sexy this because it's to I lied, doctor Alan Grant.
Speaker 1: I take it back. Oh well, Jesus, yeah, you really took that back. I take it back. Surprised you're really wrong about one.
Speaker 2: So Tom Hanks plains Alan and as a kid, Alan was in Cape Cod and he saw something in the water and he jumped off the boat to see what it was, and he was under the water and then he saw this little girl something towards him, and when they touched hands, he could breathe underwater, and he's like, oh my god, this is incredible.
Speaker 1: And then the people from the boat him.
Speaker 2: Back in and then like twenty years passes, so he's twenty eight now because he's eight years old.
Speaker 1: On that and everyone in an old school rom com he's always in their twenties. Yeah, and they're always like, when will I find the one?
Speaker 2: Why can't I settle down over Yeah, and it's like your twenty five, calm down. So twenty years pass and all this other stuff happens, and he ends up going back to the same spot and he gets in a boat and through a situation he gets knocked unconscious and falls into it. It's a lot for me to get into, yeah, but Eugene Levee is involved.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: A young Eugene Levey. Yeah, a little cutie. I love young Eugene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like he's he's so young, but his eyebrows look the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they've always been a statement to say he was born with them that big.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so a situation of events. He ends up unconscious back in the water, and then he wakes up on the beach and he's like, oh my god, how did I get there? This is where it is just a rip of the Little Mermaid, but we move past it and he things are other things, and that's yeah.
Speaker 1: This is an homage. This is this is a Little Mermaid for adults.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so he looks up and he's like looking around and then over this like little stand in June, he sees this face of a beautiful blonde woman and she walks out and she's naked, but it's like Dara Hannah's like hairs covering everything because it's still like a think PG. And he's trying to talk to her and she can't talk, and then she just runs into the water and swims away, and he was like, holy hell, what was that? And then when she gets into the water, we realize we the audience get to see that she's actually a mermaid.
Speaker 1: Plot twist.
Speaker 2: No one saw it coming, Yeah, unless you saw the film poster. Unless you saw the poster, but otherwise, well, you're me in my living room. My mum's in the background.
Speaker 1: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Plot twist, a very believable mermaid tail. And then you get to see Daryl Hannah as the mermaids swim underwater for ages and that's incredible. Can I just say, yeah, if they could do this in nineteen eighty four and these special effects hold up, we don't need all this weird AI CGI slop that we had today because that was so effective.
Speaker 1: She looks like a real mermaid.
Speaker 2: She looks like a real and she's just holding her breath and a tail under water like the girls from.
Speaker 1: H two did. Yeah, and like probably Sarah in Aquamarine. Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah. When Alan was in the water, he drops his wallet right when it has his idea in a dress on it. So she get this bits my vote.
Speaker 1: So she goes to this sunken ship and.
Speaker 2: She finds a map and she puts his idea.
Speaker 1: I never would have thought of it.
Speaker 2: She's so smart because she's a mermaid and she matches his ID to this map, and then she goes to New York to find him, and she gets legs that she does get legs, and then obviously she gets arrested for walking around naked, and then she's holding his wallet to the police call him. He comes, they fall in love. He doesn't know she's a mermaid. This is where a movie that could only be made in the eighties is that he just thinks this beautiful woman that he meant on a beach and then swum away in the water and has appeared naked in New York to find him, and he's like, absolutely, come and live in my apartment with me. I love you so much, let's be together. Yeah, liking Katan Leopold when Hugh Jackman's just hot enough that it's okay that he's insane.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, He's like, you're a beautiful woman, no questions. Yeah, come on in, lady.
Speaker 2: And so she obviously doesn't speak English. She learns over the course of the week she's with him because she watches movies. But this is interesting because he's like, what's your name?
Speaker 1: What's your name?
Speaker 2: And then because they're in the New York they're standing on Madison Avenue and so you see Madison Avenue on the sign, and so that's what her name is.
Speaker 1: She's Madison. Love that. So here's a fun See. She is smart, she thinks on a feet, she's smart. She's actually the smartest pert.
Speaker 2: She might be the smartest from complete rom commpleete don't ever do it rom commlely. Just girls just get themselves into ridiculous situations because they don't think. Yeah, Madison's ten steps ahead. Yeah, she's always plotting, scheming, whatever it's Most of it is one hundred percent by accident. But here's an interesting fact. Do you know anyone called Madison several? Yeah, and do you know why they're called Madison because of this movie?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Well, let's just say, was that there a surge in there was a surge in Madison. So this movie came out in nineteen eighty four, nineteen a five, Madison appears like in the not in the top, but like in the top fifty twenty names in multiple countries, most in America, because you know, Australia's just a bit behind sometimes but illustrating. And then it just kept growing and growing and growing, growing, And I'm sure even if some people didn't even know they're calling their kid Madison because of that. That's how it became so popular. Such, but all the nineteen eighty five Madisons, they're definitely named after Madison the Mermaid. Okay, something to think about.
Speaker 1: Very important, You're right.
Speaker 2: Cultural is like, guys, so next time you meet a Madison and say, hey, did you know I know where your name came from? That mermaid? And they're like, no, no, Daryl Hana, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Well it did. It went up the name charts really quickly. I believe you. Yeah I didn't. So anyway, then there's a whole thing about obviously the government gets involved, the government's governments.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: I can't stand a good rom com the government getting involved because the government's like because Eugene Levy, the villain is like, that's a mermaid, let's trapper, and then the government come and content and he sposed it with water and then her tail appears, and it's so sad because she'd been hiding the tail from Tom Hanks. She takes a bath secretly at nine and he tries so open right, and she's trying to dry the hair dryer so that he when he comes in, he's like Madison opened the door. Barge is in the bathroom rude, but it's because she didn't want him to see the tail. Yeah, the government's always fu and the government keeps her in a tank. And then they find and they end up letting Tom Hanks go alan like he's just a man. We put him in water, like he's been.
Speaker 1: The tank.
Speaker 2: Because they just leave in his tank of water for like days, and then the one scientist doesn't want them going. The other one's like, he's been in that tank for like forty eight hours. I think he's just a man. Tom Hanks is like, ah, running, so they blindhold him and drop off the street. Then he has a team up with Eugene Levy to save Madison. Yeah, and then I won't spoil the ending, eve though I have spoiled you said a lot. No, it sounds like I've said a lot. Yes, so I haven't put in the showy house is sink time being. I'm like, oh, it's fun, have a good time, and you're like and all. So then the government, okay, but I have to explain levels of mythology and mystical creatures and origin origin of names. No, it sounds like I said a lot, but I haven't talked about any of the I haven't done the shopping scene or like the first kiss or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Like nothing so true.
Speaker 2: But it does end on a bit of cliffhanger because he can go with her to the ocean, but if he does, he can never come back to earth Land.
Speaker 1: So what does he do?
Speaker 2: Does he go back to his family and friends because he's really close with his brother played by John Candy iconic?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Does he go back to the real world or does he go and live underwater with a mermaid? I don't know watched by watching the film, So Splash an iconic rom com that I think everyone should watch. And if you're out there, named Madison, what a beautiful thing to be named after? That is nice Darryl Hannah's most iconic role.
Speaker 1: So I have.
Speaker 2: Decided, while listening to you, to completely change what I was about to regalize. I didn't see the stress we just had in this studio because Tina can only do one morecation and you've got about ten on that list, and the panic of trying to pick.
Speaker 1: We'll do another one of these.
Speaker 2: Listen, And I mean I have written about this a million times, Okay, but not this, not this recommendation.
Speaker 1: This is a deep cut. I have no idea what you're gonna say.
Speaker 2: By the way, so this, likewise is a movie that was like a childhood movie, and I've no one seems to have ever seen it, and you've only taken me there through mentions of the government and like other worldly shit. Yeah, because that's what every good rom com needs, interference from the government. Yes, so this has taken a turn. And I had some more like run off the male rom coms to talk about, but I don't want talk about them anymore because I want to talk about this. Have you seen the two thousand and one action comedy film which is a wrong com.
Speaker 1: It's called Just Visiting? Wait?
Speaker 2: Have I who's in it? Christiana Applegay? Oh, and the French actor Jean Reno, No, I don't think i've seen it.
Speaker 1: And Malcolm McDowell, Tara Reid and Bridgewills.
Speaker 2: No, okay, all names I'm obsessed with, obviously, But I thought i'd seen every Christina Applegate rom com.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I nearly put the sweetest thing on this list. But but I say, when we do sexy rom coms, sexy rom coms with fun songs, that's that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so we can do it. I don't think actually, I just thought about five.
Speaker 2: There are so many we good, Okay, guys, the problem is we've watched too much movie. Yeah, Tina and amends. If a spiller can please write down what did I say? Sexy rom coms with a good song with fun song. You just send that to us and we'll put on the list of episodes to do. Yeah, okay, go okay. So just visiting and so quickly. Christina Applegate has start in two near identical films that involve time travel and princes and the city of New York.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. So the film starts in the twelfth century in England, and that is not what I thought you were going to say.
Speaker 2: And there's this guy and he's a count and he's about to marry a princess. Her name is Rosalind, and she's the daughter of King of the reigning King Henry. I don't think he's meant to be like that King Henry, but like you never know, sure.
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 2: So at the wedding banquet, he has an enemy called the Earl of Warwick. And you're gonna be a bad guy. With that name, and so the earl gives Thibeau Thibol I kind of even honest.
Speaker 1: Remember, he gives him a potion.
Speaker 2: Yep, he makes him hallucinate, and the potion was meant to go to Rosalind by a witch. It's a whole thing's riches and all this time, can I just tell you nothing you're saying sounds weird to me. I know the genre of movie very well. Yeah, under the influence of the potion, he kills Rosalind brilliant.
Speaker 1: I didn't know where this was going to go, believing she is.
Speaker 2: A ferocious monster. And then while he's being sentenced to death, he asks his servant to find a wizard to help him. The wizard gives him a potion that sends him back to the moment.
Speaker 1: Before he killed her.
Speaker 2: The wizard botches the spell and instead sends them to the twenty first century. That's opening.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the opening.
Speaker 2: Christina Applegate does play Rosalind, but basically they wake up.
Speaker 1: It's twenty first century.
Speaker 2: They're in a museum in Chicago, and they are arrested by boys for causing a hubbub, and they are rescued by museum employee Julia, who looks the same as Roslin because she's also played by Christina apple Well. She thinks that this guy is her distant French cousin who drowned while yachting.
Speaker 1: Are you making this up?
Speaker 2: And then he finds out later that Julia is descended from his family, so he's like, I have to return to the past and correct my mistakes and all of this. So it's like two like medieval dudes running around the city with her, and she's does know who they are? Then no, so so it's one of them. She's like, just like, fine, take these crazy guys into a stuff. Yeah, that's that's why you've triggered me because I like Tom Hanks, mean, like I'll take this crazy naked lady into my home one hundred and this goes to show that as much as we as a society evolve, things always remain the same. And the one constant we all have in our lives is that hot people can get away with anything.
Speaker 1: People can do.
Speaker 2: Hold, people can literally be weird. They can break into homes, they can kill people. They can show up at different times in different clothes, they can be naked, they can have they could be medieval, they can have a tail does It doesn't matter. There's something beautiful about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I don't really think John Reno, the French chactor, is hot, but my mum did so maybe a little.
Speaker 1: I think I was.
Speaker 2: And basically like she, Christina Applegay, modern modern Christina Applegay has a terrible fiance and we hate him and he's weird and you'll recognize him because he's always snively in movies. Oh sure, that guy, you're the one.
Speaker 1: You'll know when you see better.
Speaker 2: She like works with them on like figuring out why they've like she thinks they've lost their memory and like they're like, no, no, we need to get back to Rosalind in the twelfth century. Sure, and obviously, like as you say, you know, magical realism. Slowly, like you start to believe what's going on. And so the romance is like him and Rosalind, but also like him helping her to fall in love and to see that like love is real.
Speaker 1: Oh so he doesn't fall in love with modern day Christina, No.
Speaker 2: Old old Appley, because then that's kind of his like his like distant daughter daughter grand great great great granddaughter in theory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, bit weird. So I am.
Speaker 2: This isn't so much a as I thought, but I do remember them kissing, so what Oh I think she develops a crush on him? Oh, of course, because why wouldn't you have the memory lost? Were guy staying in her apartment?
Speaker 1: Why we And then she gets oh no way, she gets a love.
Speaker 2: It she gets a love Okay, yeah, yeah, sure that's kind of a spoil But I do think it's important that people watch this. And the reason I bring this up. Christina Applegate also starts in another movie with Martin Short, where a same thing happens to her, where another prince gets sent to modern day times and meets Applegate and Bernadette Peters is in it. Oh love and he has there's like a frog, it's a whole thing. But so this happens to Applegate twice, like cinematic history.
Speaker 1: Well, the one thought, why we're doing it again? We're doing it again? Wow? Once, that's not her fault. Twice.
Speaker 2: You've gotta start looking at your actions. You gotta start thinking what am I doing? What have I done put myself in this situation? And they both came out in the same year. And that movie is cool.
Speaker 1: It's a year.
Speaker 2: At got red long hair in one and blonde curls and the other. So you're like, oh, two different people and that's the point of acting.
Speaker 1: One would say two different people?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: So am I rom com recommendation Duell Prince Charming and Just Visiting basically the same thing twice?
Speaker 1: Have fun? Do I want to watch Just Visiting?
Speaker 2: Though I don't think it is okay? Yeah, I thought it was just put that on the maybe list.
Speaker 1: I'm intrigued.
Speaker 2: Maybe I should just watch it because I do feel like I've watched every other Christina Applegate movies.
Speaker 1: We'll jump into this one. Yeah, okay, last one from me again.
Speaker 2: I was trying to feel I don't want to say this is the best from common the World, because famously it was quite bad.
Speaker 1: But I rewatched it on one of my many how at.
Speaker 2: The sut of the year, I just ended up going on work trips to weird locations overseas for a while, a lot of time on plane to kill. And I watched this movie on two different work trips, once to New York and once to South Korea.
Speaker 1: So I feel like it's really bad. There's limited movies on a plane.
Speaker 2: I don't find that ever, And I only ever like watching hormones on a plane, but when I'm eating I do watch a rom com. So it's so specific to unpack that with the therapy anyone found that therapist done before? And the more we talk, the more clear it is that we do need that therapist. Something cute about us doing joint therapy, right, Yeah, yeah, I probably share a few issues. Anyway, this movie is called Fool's Gold. Ah, didn't watch it, didn't care. Really, you've never seen this, No, So to sell sell me on it right now? Well, I think I just have to say two names to sell you on it. Two names will make you watcher that maybe you know them and it hasn't swayed you.
Speaker 1: No, Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey.
Speaker 2: They already did one banger and that's why they did this, and it's not their fault.
Speaker 1: It wasn't as good the second time.
Speaker 2: So Foolswell came out in two thousand and eight because obviously, how Los a Guy in Ten Days is one of the greatest rom comms ever ever ever made. I think we can all agree on that.
Speaker 1: Yes much.
Speaker 2: If I came to this podcast and I was like, have you guys heard about this movie came out twenty years ago. Maybe you've missed it. How Losing Guy in Ten Days? So how The Loser Guy in Ten Days came out. It's a massive success, and a huge reason it's such a success is the performances of Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey. Not only is their chemistry off the charts amazing, but just their performances because you just think about someone who was like less like Kate Hudson's such a good comedic actress and she's so charming. And again, Matthew McConaughey, even though he hates rom comms now, was very good at rom comms. Yeah, in the hands of lesser act those parts would have been crazy.
Speaker 1: Like it.
Speaker 2: Just imagine someone else crying on the floor and sobbing with a love turns, and no one else was delivering that line that I've already delivered on this podcast today, like you you can't lose something.
Speaker 1: That she never had.
Speaker 2: Exactly, she had the Hollywood chops to pull off crazy all that. Yeah, exactly, it's hard to be again because she's hot. She gets away with everything. Crazy scale hot, crazy, gotta keep to keep those two. You can't go too far crazy unless you're equally as hot. Yeah, and how I met your mother taught us that.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So after that movie came out, it's a critical success, it's a box office success, home release, massive success. Everyone's going out and buying the DVD and droves girl wearing that dress to formally, everyone's got that dress. Everyone starts and rolling in journalism courses at university to be Even though that was girl, even though the message of the movie was don't do this, journalism is dead and it's two thousand and two, it was like, you'll get a job and before strite something you don't want to write, can I just say sorry, I know this is the topic. But she's like, oh, I want to write about like world peas, And I'm like, you're probably being paid so much money as a twenty two year old to write a how to column, look alife, have something exactly?
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: Also, don't take a job and then complain that the job is not the one you wanted. When you're you're the one to tell you work your way up, Kate Hudson. Anyway, Sorry, Anyway, she probably should have gone and worked at a newspaper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any turn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so everyone wanted the How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days sequel, and apparently they did try to get off the ground. But it's almost like we have to break these two up and what they trick each other again, Like there's no way to do that.
Speaker 1: There's literally no way for me. Once, shame on you, exactly for me.
Speaker 2: She comes back in because now she's writing a book because she has to come back and trick him again.
Speaker 1: That's what it's called full school. So I mean, actually I would watch that movie.
Speaker 2: So instead they did the thing. And this is what has happened with a lot of iconic rom coon couples before. So obviously Richard Gear and Julia robertson Pretty Woman, huge success, can't make a pretty Woman too? What is she back on the streets? Has to go together again? No, you can't do that. No, stead it made Runaway Bride. Yeah, now she can't keep her husband. And again with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan because Sleepless and Seattle is such a big kid, can't really make I mean, you could make a sequel to that, but I think it would be like why did I marry this weird guy? I met on top of the Empire State Building. So instead they mate You've Got Mail.
Speaker 1: One of my top top top top top movies in my opinion, better than Sleeps so much matter and that never happens. Yeah. Crazy. So basally I would say Runaway Bride better than Pretty Woman.
Speaker 2: I wonder if i'd say that, No, Pretty Woman's better again, really good fight monologue that I think the time well in Runaway Bride. Yeah, yeah, there's a good there's lots of good fights in Pretty Women. Not as good, and it's more high stakes because the reason she meets him is that her friend gets killed and putting the dumbstar to a story for another day. Yeah, which is like you wouldn't truly have I beat you on the arm pit Like that's great? Yeah, great great? Oh fun times. Anyway, so they decided to do the same thing with Kate and Matthew and pair them up again for hopefully a movie that will be as good to have to lose a guy in ten days.
Speaker 1: It's not that and that's the recommendation. Is it a good movie? No? Is it saved by their performances? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, they're just good together on screen. So I would say you watch this movie. If you've watched how Loser Guy in ten Days a thousand times, you need to give a little break that you watch this instead. Okay, quick fire. Are there pirates? That's all from the trailer. Kevin Hart's a pirate. He's a gangster pirate. Wait, you can't just say no. Kevin Hart's in this movie and Donald Sutherland's in this movie. It just got a lot better.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: This was a high stakes, big release movie and it was filmed in Australia, in my home state of Queensland.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, Kate Hudson.
Speaker 2: Play these They are a married couple who's about to be divorced, Tess and Finn, and they fell in love like working on ships and being treasure hunters, like diving down to like Los Rex and like cause like if they're out in the ocean and you dive down and there's treasure there, you get to keep it. That's what we call sea law, the law of the ocean in international waters. That's pirate law. Okay, So they do that, and then he becomes obsessed with finding like one of the biggest treasure ships of all time, the Aralia, and his obsession drives them apart. So we pick up years later. They've been separated for years. He's still searching for the Aurelia. He's outed ships and doing illegal things. He's lost all his money. It's a whole thing. She's working as a steward on Donald Sutherlin's super yacht and his vapid daughter has come to stay with him, and it's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: So they go to get divorced. Right, they go to the divorce hearing.
Speaker 2: Matthew McConaughey's character is called Finn but maybe going forward will to score him. Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson's character is called Tests. They go to the divorce hearing. She's like, yes, please divorce us. I need to be away from this man. And he's like, no, I still love her, Rah rah rah. So then he says to her, I found the Aurelia, like I found the way to find it, and will you come with me? And then Donald Sutherlan, who's trying to impress his crazy, shopholic daughter who doesn't want me spend time with him, but it is just going to visit her billionaire father to get some money. She becomes really invested, so the four of them on their super with the two gay chefs that are on board.
Speaker 1: That they're married.
Speaker 2: They're like these crazy rich people can't stand them. They go off to finally Aurelia, but Kevin Hart is like a He's like a, uh, well, his name is big Bunny, Big with two gee's cool. Matthew McConaughey has brought a lot of money from him, but he cannot pay back, so he kind of chases them out, and it's a whole thing of them finding the It's very kind of like there's a lot of like action sequences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're on the run and there's love.
Speaker 2: It's like a pirate weavie, two ships racing for the same treasure, a couple falling back in love as they remember why.
Speaker 3: The two houses both alike in dignity in fair Varuna where we lay our seat, but in this case, unfortunately, it is fair Florida where we lay our see.
Speaker 2: And the thing about tessen Thin is that they fight really bad, but they have really good sex, is what you say. They do have one sex in the movie, but the camera cuts away. It's like, what are we doing here? All I've heard through this whole movie is that he's so good at sex is the best thing and that's why she couldn't leave him. And then they finally find a treasure map and so to celebrate, they have sex in a church.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, yeah, it's fine pushing buttons.
Speaker 2: Anyway, she gets kidnappedy Kevin Hart. He goes to save her. They find a ship with treasure. It's like a big action movie Vibes with Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey. Doesn't have a fun it, does, you know what? I'm gonna watch it just to see watch it just to find out. Honestly, some of our recommendations today just a bit of a find out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I just think sometimes sometimes I'm just looking looking, looking for a rom com I haven't seen, because if you rewatch the classics too much, you make yourself sick of them. And watching like a rom com on a Sunday night is the ultimate decision to make. Yeah, like Sunday scary is lighter candle, there's a pizza.
Speaker 1: I don't know your story. Maybe there's a wine.
Speaker 2: If there's definitely a wine, and you just put on a little something that's easy to get into. Yeah, I'm often seeing it home being like, I just wish I could like wipe all the rom comes they've seen from my memory and watched them again for the first time. Because so it just that other people have that issue. Maybe haven't seen Fools Gold, maybe not. It's a fun time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna go super super quick.
Speaker 2: Everyone's excited because this is an unauthorized recommendation that act produced told you. Just taken it back around to a real recommendation, because I've done two pretty good ones, one questionable. Yeah, and now I'm back ye okay, the movie Win a date with Tad Hamilton. Oh my god, Yes, yes, I've seen Okay, I have watched this movie maybe fifty times. This movie was so big and buzzy when it came out, and what if people fat it was in my house, but I've never met and like out there obviously, our team so into pop culture, love movies, all that jazz.
Speaker 1: Anytime I bring this movie up, not a soul has heard of it.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, which is crazy, and that's on us for hiring and that's on us. We'll talk about that later when I wait it came up. We had a whole when I was a teenager in this movie came out. We had a whole big display, big time, a DVD display with like balloons and stuff in this movie came out a big dealer. When I have the DVD from that time period, maybe I shoped it came out. I know you had a Queensland.
Speaker 1: We just established the see her stay on task.
Speaker 2: So win a date with Tad Hamilton. Incredible cast. We've got Tofah Grace fresh off that seventies show. He's looking cute, he's amazing, we love him. We've got Kate Bosworth also recently in Blue Crush, A star on the rise. Possibly did she ever rise to her full potential?
Speaker 1: Topic for it? Shit, I think she deserves better, is what I'm saying. Kate Bosworth should be. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we all thought she was going to be like a mega movie star. She was going to be Reese with the Spirit and she's a regular movie star. I would say, yeah, she's very happily.
Speaker 1: She got divorced. She's incredible.
Speaker 2: She had to divorce in her forties. She married Justin Long, who she's a on com queen. He's a horror movie queen with Guild and now they're very happy to make movies together she's fine, She's no, she's so fine and everything's cool. So also Jennifer Goodwin, oh yeah, and Catherine Haun and josh Ja Hammuel so setting the scene. Her name is Rosalie Fudge and she works at a Piggly Wiggily, which is a supermarket chain wherever in Mid America she's from.
Speaker 1: I think this is when I found out that Piggly Wigglies were a real thing. They were a store.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't know that until later in life. I thought they were invented for this film.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Rosalie Futch played by Kate Bosworth and her pals all work at the Piggly Wiggly. So Tofa Grace plays Pete and he is their manager. It's an important power dynamic. Jennifer Goodwin plays Kathy. She's like the weird, quirky friend. Sean Hayes and Nathan Lane are in it. Getting to that I can't tell. Catherine Hahn local bartender in love with Pete. She's incredibly quirky. And the reason I bring it up is how to lose a guy in ten days and win a date with Tad Hamilton. Exclamation Point are Companion Cinema right, I see it. I see it because they came out around the same time. And Catherine Hahn is like, she steals the show as the best kind of character, like incredible in this film. And this was before I knew her in like other things. I was like, that's the star and I did not know the powerhouse actress that she would go.
Speaker 1: We did not come, but we kind of, but we knew. We were like, she's incredible.
Speaker 2: So Rosalie is obsessed with a movie star and his name, if you could believe it, is Tad Hamilton, a movie start name that only works in the early two thousands. Yeah, and do you imagine today Tad Hamilton. Tad Hamilton, we wouldn't buy it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, honestly, we're so susceptible to marketing today. He starts in one sexy hockey show, everyone would love him. Yeah, And so Tad Hamilton is like a quintessential Hollywood two thousands bad boys. So he's in all of these like blockbusters. The women they love Tad Hamilton, but in real life he's a problematic party boy and he gets photographed drinking and driving and leering.
Speaker 1: That's a direct.
Speaker 2: Quote on the cover of a newspaper and his agents are played by Sean Hayes and Nathan Lane, and they basically are like, we've got to fix.
Speaker 1: Your image, Tad.
Speaker 2: Here's what we're going to do. We're going to stage a competition where fans can enter to win a date with you for a charitable outcome, because nothing will fix your image more than being pictured with an underage young girl exactly who works in a local with a very intense power in one hundred percent. So Rosalie. She's the beast fan of Tad Hamilton has ever been. She raises the money, she enters the competition. They pick her because her name is stupid and she's from a small town and they're like, well that's like our image rights, small town wholesomeness. We'll send them on a date. They go on the date, she's like starstruck, it's incredible. They have a good time. Surprisingly, he actually is quite charmed.
Speaker 1: By beause she's Kate Bosworth.
Speaker 2: She's beautiful, she's beautiful, and make her not look beautiful on this she is beautiful. She's just nervous, like and she's funny and I would be too. Imagine me and Louis Pullman on a date like you have to be sedated. Yeah, I couldn't live through it, but that happens. Oh, by the way, Tavi, she works at the sewer basket. She works at the Biggi Wiggly. I forgot about that Dad Piggly Wiggily was turning out stars starded. Otavia Spencer is just like a disgruntled Bigly Wiggly employee and at one point she just like is like, whoa Rosalie comes to town, but Tad, okay, I've spoiled. Tad comes to town because they go on this date and he can't stop thinking about it. Of course sums the town and he's like, Rosalie, let's date for real?
Speaker 1: And she's like, what the fucking.
Speaker 2: And she lives home with her dad, and so she runs home to her dad and she's like, I'm going on a date with who movie start?
Speaker 1: Dad Hamilton?
Speaker 2: Okay, great, Pete forgot about Pete for Grace to for Grace fuming. He's obviously he's had a crush on Paul Rosalie his whole life and he's never once done anything about it because small town boys don't really do things like that. He's fuming whole town's buzzing. Everyone's excited except Pete and Pete's dog and for high association Catherine Hahn and the bartender is pissed because Catherine Hahn is in love with Pete.
Speaker 1: This is Shakespeare. I don't fool's goal with Shakespeare with this is no.
Speaker 2: So bartender upset because she's in love with someone who's in love with someone else. And everyone's just upset except for Tad. Hamilton image is thriving. He's got a hot new girlfriend and he's like bought a ranch and he's chopping wood and he's like, look at me and prepping for my next big role in Hollywood. Pete gives again another great monologue because you know he he knows all these amaze things about Rosalie that like Tad would never even notice. Like Tad doesn't even get her the way that Pete does. Okay, Like it's so serious. If this movie came right now, Pete would be like in the matosphere. Yeah yeah, but no, but we love Pete with us. Pete, I know he's okay, protected and he gets I think here's a degree or something. It's like a really big plot point is that he gets accepted somewhere. I think it's I think it's like an ivy or like even just a universe school because they're not in high school, but they are clearly like in their very early twenties, and you don't really touch on that because it could get weird. Tad Hamilton clearly like thirty or something, and alcoholic Pete keeps getting employee of the month, gets a new he gets into school.
Speaker 1: I believe it's medicine.
Speaker 2: Wow, and he's gonna leave, and so suddenly Tad might take Rosalie off to Tinseltown or Pete's over here. And then also, oh my god, best line of the film. My mum and my family always like quote this to me whenever they think I need like a weird clearche pep in my step. It's honey, your odds go up when you file an application.
Speaker 1: And isn't that so true? Isn't that so true?
Speaker 2: My god, I'm going to date with Tad Hamilton, like speaking on a level that we weren't even prepared for. Yeah, and great soundtrack anyway, I'm done, Okay, wow, And who did you say played Tad Hamilton? Josha Hamuel Okay, t hammel mel I said it was Josh Jummel.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: When I've been thinking about Turkey's ex husband is so true. The guy who was in the Trains. We talked about him the other day for some reason.
Speaker 1: Random caln Oh, because he's in Ransom Kenyon. Of course, of.
Speaker 2: Course he's Yeah, he's the lead in the Netflix cowboy esque Ransom Canyon, and he was in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: He's the transformer and he's very good as Tad Hamilton. Yea, but what's his name? I've been calling him Josh Jummel for the last twenty years.
Speaker 2: I think of the two of us, You're going to be right, sure, but I like to just say the name is I don't even know?
Speaker 1: Do you said? Do you Amel?
Speaker 3: No? You know?
Speaker 1: I did a hard hage. I was like, Josh, do you have you?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to bring it out, but like I've been the whole time you've been talking, because I was like, do I not know I have this one?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Do I not know that man's name? Or is this a new actor I've never heard? And it's important to know his name?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So important. This is very handsome. Also, in another great rom com with Catherine Haigel called life as we know. Oh, I was just thinking of life as we know. We don't have time to get it. We time.
Speaker 2: But also just go watch that as well. Okay the end. Okay, guys, in case there was a lot of information for you to take in. We're gonna put up a carousel on our Instagram page. So also make sure you're following us on Instagram. This spill podcast on Instagram, that's where you see the gold. We're gonna put up a carousel on our fee there of all our recommendations. And also we need more my Sunday afternoons they are bleak. I need more rom coms. Please go into the comments and just drop every other underrated rom com that you think here and I need to watch. They might be able to silence me on this podcast, but they can't silence me in the comments because I run that page. We're gonna get a spam notification. You have fifty new comments, Tink one from your deceased dog's account.
Speaker 1: You always got my dead dogs.
Speaker 2: Come on, if you guys see a dog account, don't question.
Speaker 1: Sometimes need to our engagement.
Speaker 2: And while I'm sorry I feel lost, I just say that Tina has an Instagram account. For her dogs that you made when they're alive.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're sadly gone, they're sadly passed away. But Tina still have access to the account and sometimes to give us a little bump and engagement and show support. She likes all the spilled posts from her dead dog's account, and every time I see it it makes.
Speaker 1: Me really sad. I freaked out the little picture of the two dogs. They're so pretty, it's crazy. I'm gonna comment on this from the dog account. No, please don't.
Speaker 2: No, they're not gonna in fox a follow with no one's allowed to follow that account.
Speaker 1: Okay they are did. Yeah, that's a stublished my whole family.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ again. And also just to finish up, we need to finish this episode. People have literally driven my cars off the road to get away from this. I would I hate bring this up off the back of your dead dog's account. But also if you do have a therapist number handy or you are a therapist who listens to the spill, do get in contact because that whole Instagram thing we will need to unpack that. Yeah, more people should be watching sad rom com monologues just to feel a little something. Oh my god, tugs of the heartstrings. It makes you feel like you got broken up, but then it just like sets you fresh for the day.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that was the takeaway. Yeah, if you ever need to really connect to a Taylor Swift album.
Speaker 2: Do it. Okay, yeah, wow, okay, something to unpack it a later day, Yeah, in therapy.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. I had a great time.
Speaker 2: We will be back in your feed bright and early tomorrow morning with Morning Tea hosted by Ash London Lana