Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded.
Speaker 3: On whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously.
Speaker 4: Disturbed laurels for spraying groundbreaking?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you have to do it.
Speaker 3: You live for fashion.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion problems and levels up your wardrobe. I'm Lee Campbell, and every week I chat to an expert who helps us work out how to get more out of the clothes we already own and tells us exactly what is and what isn't worth adding to our wardrobes. Do you ever get to the weekend and think I have nothing to wear? Maybe you've got a wardrobe full of corporate wear, or you've worn your best clothes in the office, or you've got a wardrobe full of active wear or what I like to call after school clothes. It can be hard to work out what to wear on the weekend when you want to be comfed but feel elevated and stylish, and you might be doing lots of different things, from coffee chores to maybe a lovely brunch. I have a returning guest today from the Mumma Mea fashion collective. Fife Milne has been helping women find their perfect wardrobe for decades, and we're going to tell you the best pieces to bring into rotation to elevate your weekend wardrobe. Okay, so firstly, Fife, welcome back to the show. I am so excited to have you back. And I love following you and I agree with everything you post on Instagram, so I had to get you back. We have a great dressing room dilemma that I really think you're going to be able to help. I feel like all my clothes are for work or they're active wear. I get to the weekend and I don't know how to style anything. Is it too much like work, too dressed up, or way too casual? And I think this is something that a lot of women can relate to, depending on their lifestyle. They might be, you know, a stay at home mom or maybe a student and they're just all about leggings and active wear, or they.
Speaker 1: Could be corporate and you know suits and pencil skirts, and then it's kind of the in between. So let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: And I want to start Feefee with your philosophy because I think this is going to help a lot of people.
Speaker 1: What is your philosophy?
Speaker 5: Ah, well, the FF philosophies came about because they work post on me. And then because I've been a personal shopper. BV philosophies would be always update the classics, so the basics, because they always date. So when I've gone into people's wardrobes and done a wardrobe detoc so I'll say I've got all the classics, but I'm struggling and getting my outfit together or getting my look, and then you go into their wardrobe and you know they've got skinny jeans and a dated blazer or and a dated trend a little black dress.
Speaker 3: They can't get.
Speaker 5: Dressed because they put those on and they don't look right, and then they and try and.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting you say update the classics because a classic, then I guess is not a classic. I mean, sure they'll come around again, but I guess it's updating the basics because you know, the gene from ten years ago is probably not the gene now, or the T or like you say, the Blaze.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Blaze a T shirt. What I would say here is that when you do update those pieces, then you just put them on and you don't have to do anything because they look great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what happens if you wear the dated pieces like skin of.
Speaker 5: Gens and type blaze or the wrong T shirt? You then you struggle and you're trying to fix it up. But you put on wide leg jeans and a sluty blaze and a new shaped T shirt and oh I could just walk out the door, put on the shoes or you know, just on that thought, I'm just thinking if you then just update one item, So if you have your update your genes to wide leg, then you could wear your old blazer or you can update your blazer and wear your old.
Speaker 1: Gens so elements.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it makes it so much easier if those basics or plastics are updated into the new shape.
Speaker 2: Could not agree more. Now, tabletop dressing, what is table I thought? And forks and glass talk to me about this one.
Speaker 3: So that's another philosophy.
Speaker 5: So that is really all about the attention and focus on the top of the body. So that is where people are looking at you, so from the waist up. Because what happens if you're sitting down or you're doing zoom or whatever you want all the focus and where you want to invest in a statement, peace will be on the top. And you know a lot of women say to me, oh, I'm worried, you know, about my knees, and I always kind of bend down and go, No one is down there.
Speaker 3: Looking at your knees. They're looking at the top.
Speaker 5: And then the other thing is then prints, skirts and pants aren't really in the passion at the moment. But if you get sequin skirts, maybe that's on the bottom, and then you struggle on the top because you can't have two amazing things, so then you were boring piece on the top of your body.
Speaker 2: So is it about picking what you're going to wear from the waist up first?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, once you get the seafee.
Speaker 5: Philosophies and you build a wardrobe, then you'll have fabulous tops and states blouses or blazers, and then you'll have your basic bottoms and then you can just slip in your tops in between.
Speaker 2: That's true because I often pick my bottoms first because I love a white leg pant or a jean or a long skirt. But then I'm always pairing it back with the white tea I need to at least choose the top first some of the time.
Speaker 3: I know, and that's good for statement. So that's one thing thing.
Speaker 2: Philosophy now tell me about try everything on with shoes.
Speaker 3: I always say, you're not going out in bare feet.
Speaker 5: I'll take people into the fitting room or go and do wardrobe detocks, and then they try everything on, and then it's actually the shoes that are going to make or break it.
Speaker 3: Like white shoes or what have you. So they add high edge that finishes the look.
Speaker 1: That is so true.
Speaker 2: And also then by the time I love my outfit, I've done my hair, I fed my child, I'm like, yes, shit, I've got to get out the door, and shoes are literally probably what's literally at the front door.
Speaker 1: And I haven't thought about it yet.
Speaker 5: That's right, And I think as you get older you might choose shoes there. The things are going to put the edge to the outfit as well, so they're quite.
Speaker 3: Important, so you're not doing some crazy or short cut out dress. It's just amazing on anyone.
Speaker 5: Even when people send me a photo of it out bit try it on with shoes and then send me the look advocated, you know, white juice, and they just lift it all. I had one client she invested in some white mules, and while I was doing a wardrobe detos, and literally everything she.
Speaker 3: Put on put on with the white meals. Suddenly, oh, that actually looks quite good.
Speaker 5: And there's a say in fashion something like the shoes sell the pants. They're so important, they're going to take it to the next level.
Speaker 2: One more question before we focus on, particularly the weekend, sure your feelings on hot pinks and bright colors.
Speaker 5: So I like to say that hot pink never looks expensive, and as it is, so they're just hard to carry off. So most of us are in a budget. We want to look chic and expensive. We want to get versatile wardrobe. So I would always say to people invest in what they call being approved expensive colors. Okay, obviously, if you can wear hot pink Valentino or Prada, you're going to look expensive, but it's very hard to carry that off, and those colors.
Speaker 3: Aren't as versatile, So chock.
Speaker 5: The brown caramel, maybe blue camel. And so what always say is that you're getting the fashion statement from the new shapes. So from a big blazer or white jeans or whatever, you're not getting the fashion statement from the crazy colors.
Speaker 1: And it's more of that kind of quiet luxury.
Speaker 2: And you're right, it's easy to find a beautiful tan blazer that could be Camilla Remark or could be Atmosson here. But once you get into the color and then you can yep, I'm with you there. Yeah, Okay, it's the weekend where it's Saturday morning, we've got to run around. For me, it's a kid's birthday party or sport. But then it might be quick coffee with a girlfriend, or I might have us on in a few hours to do something quite nice. Getting dressed on the weekend can be hard, So talk to me about upgrading our basics. So we just talked about the shapes matter and they change over the seasons.
Speaker 1: What about the quality?
Speaker 2: Do you think if we're reaching for a tea all the time, that that's where we may be splurge.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know that everyone does struggle with that weekend where they'll say, oh, I can do work, I can do active, where I can do black tie. But you don't have too dressy. You don't want to look too dat and daggy, so you just want to look like you're trying on. And I was thinking about that, and I thought, really, what's great about fashion at the moment is that it's loose, because anything tied doesn't.
Speaker 3: Look relaxed on the weekend.
Speaker 5: Yes, but definitely in terms of your question about if you wear like I've invested in a good quality say should of.
Speaker 3: Pad tea, I've got three of those.
Speaker 5: Invest in something within your budget that you think you're going to get, but it's going to get great wear, great cost.
Speaker 3: I agreed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and quality doesn't have to mean expensive, it just means no, really exactly. Yeah, it's something that wateres well for me, soaks well because I get stains, and yes, and I'll keep reaching for it because it feels nice to wear.
Speaker 3: That's right exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we've got our basics right, We've got our shapes right. You're a fan of adding a third piece. What does add the third piece mean?
Speaker 5: Think about three colors on the body, so two can be a bit matchy MATCHI and more than three iosa who has the time to style themselves and work out how hard it you? So if you do three colors, so denim, camel and white, you could throw in a bright colored bag if you wanted two for a bit of color or the same with shoes.
Speaker 3: But it's just a rule of thumb.
Speaker 5: It's you're confident in doing more colors, a what have you, go for it, but.
Speaker 3: Just to break it up.
Speaker 5: Or if you're wearing two colors on the body, well you know, two colors like black and white, then you should wear like a tan bag or just break it up.
Speaker 3: And they're easy rules to follow, and I.
Speaker 2: Think taking it back to our dressing room, Dilemtte sounds like a lovely person has some corporate wear, some active wear, and it's that kind of in between stuff. So maybe she should start, you know, getting a couple of different colored teas, some denim and then maybe color down the road that capsule in between wardrobe.
Speaker 1: It helps if it's all tonal.
Speaker 5: And also I am a big fan of jackets in every reform, so weekend jackets have done lots of postal weekend jackets.
Speaker 2: What kinds like? Are we talking blazers, bombers, trench? I mean, I'm a jacket girl too.
Speaker 3: Barn jacket, that's a new one.
Speaker 1: What's a barn jacket?
Speaker 5: A barn jacket it must come from America the name, but a barn jacket is kind of a utility jacket, so it might have a collar a bit of a contrast, looks like a.
Speaker 3: Man's work wear jacket.
Speaker 5: I'd say, hey, yeah, so they're really cool at the moment and going to next season as well, because I'm all about investing early in the trends. So you get years were so barn jacket so they kind of oversized.
Speaker 3: Or with pockets, utility wear like the cargo jacket.
Speaker 5: And also the other thing, as you said, bombers are really greatful weekends, or even a denim jacket, an oversized jacket or a little short, kind of little crop it is really nice with highways and pants and jackets will take it to the next level, not in terms of formality, but on the weekends.
Speaker 3: We they want to.
Speaker 5: Wear it look a bit elevated or look a bit yes, looking a little bit fashion. You just want to throw in a jacket because at this tabletop dressing, it's going to give this structure because you know, wearing a white T shirt on weekends or anytime, it's really hard to carry off. But what with a jacket over the top until it gets really hot, that's the way you're going to take it to the.
Speaker 3: Next level.
Speaker 2: Footwear on the weekend. Everyone's still loving the world of sneakers. I wear sneaker is a fair bit, but also I want other options. How do you feel about fancy sneakers? What are other options for the weekend on our feet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's funny you say that, because sometimes I think you have to be we don't glad you're going to bowls, you know, and I'm a bit older, you think you know, white sneaker is a great. Caramel sneak is a great horrible sneakers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I like.
Speaker 3: A soul of the sneaker. It's in the caramel.
Speaker 1: Rubbery yep, because then that is going to go back with all you Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: That feels a little bit more lifestyle and less like you're going to the gym.
Speaker 3: It's sporty exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I like sneakers with wide legged jeans because that kind of covers it up.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it looks really good the proportion balance.
Speaker 5: The other thing I probably wear on weekends is Fishermen sandals.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're here to stay. Like those netty meshes.
Speaker 3: Whose nanty meshy ones are great again. I've been wearing them.
Speaker 5: With my old pieces from last season, and it just lifts, you know, you put on the white little Fishermen sandals are like they're a.
Speaker 1: Bit of a thicker.
Speaker 2: I say, like a Clark School sandal, but that doesn't make sense, but that vibe of buckles, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Exactly, And I think the road did you know originally and there were thousands of months.
Speaker 2: I think we'll find them at places like sports Girl and Mango now for much cheaper.
Speaker 1: What color would you do?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, I always do cream all white. I just I'm stuck on those.
Speaker 5: But I get a lot of questions too about Dad's sandals, so you know, she now did the chunky and I still think they're right because they do look really good with wide le jeans and they're so comfortable.
Speaker 3: And yes, they've kind of placid in the trend type of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're still around.
Speaker 3: They're still around.
Speaker 2: Now, listen excessorized. This is something I do quite well for work, but I forget on the weekend. Yeah, if we add of those little touches, it can really elevate it out. What do you recommend forting on the weekend that doesn't feel too hard?
Speaker 5: Well, I think this question all the time, and people get what about accessorieson half the time.
Speaker 1: I say, don't worry about Okay.
Speaker 5: I've got a gorgeous Valentino belt that I lashed out on and that is in the tan.
Speaker 3: It's reversible.
Speaker 5: For what I'm saying is she could put your money in that and then that'll just suddenly add a little bit of those yours to your jeans.
Speaker 3: And a T shirt.
Speaker 5: But actually, as I said before, if you update into the new shapes, you just look great.
Speaker 3: You don't have to put on a belt, you.
Speaker 5: Don't have to put on earrings or a necklace or scarf anything.
Speaker 3: You just have a good bag. Maybe you might have a good designer.
Speaker 5: Bag on the weekend, but otherwise, invest in a nice tan bag like a shoulder back and some white shoes and you don't really have to poop around with access Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, only if you want to, if you want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I'm running around, I've got a few beautiful bangles I love, but I've taken by lunch time because I'm like, oh, they're clangging right.
Speaker 5: And also a lot of women probably do have their favorite jewelry, so they're just going to wear that. They're not saying, don't wear your own favorite jewely, but just don't overthink having to add extra because you don't really need to.
Speaker 2: Now we talked about colors. Yeah, maybe we want to add a proper color. Are we thinking in a bag? Are we thinking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a red shoes?
Speaker 2: Red shoes, so red still here for this summer, yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, red burgun dn and going to next season. I mean the sneakers, like green sneakers.
Speaker 3: They're really cool.
Speaker 5: Yes, always do color and accessories, so or you might be a bag.
Speaker 3: You might do silver.
Speaker 5: Maybe not for casual weekends, but I would would I do a.
Speaker 3: Red T shirt? Not do a red T shirt? Maybe green? Maybe? The greens so nice, that brack green.
Speaker 1: The black green is everywhere. And I mean it's not a bright color.
Speaker 2: But you know you're a big fan of that kind of classic light blue shirt.
Speaker 3: Yes, shirt yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Well when I turned the approved expensive colors, it would be blue or light blue.
Speaker 5: And that's because those blues go back to the camels and the chocolate brown.
Speaker 2: Because there's a secondary color. They're not really out there.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: So if you go off pieces, as I say, and you get purple and red and pink and bright, they just become tricky. And as I said, you've got the confidence, definitely, but most people the idea of a little bit of a rule.
Speaker 3: Of thumb just to get out the door.
Speaker 1: I agreed with you there.
Speaker 2: Now, fabric, Do you think the fabric makes a difference?
Speaker 1: Are we going for linens and cashmere or silk?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, definitely. All the natural fabrics are great because they're going to wear. Willing well is great. I mean everyone says I'd be dining, but I mean that's the point of linen.
Speaker 3: It just kind of shouldn't be crushed. So that's a lovely yeah, exactly, So linen is great.
Speaker 5: I mean they're all breatheable fabrics, which are great for the weekend, you know, definitely.
Speaker 3: But then there are.
Speaker 5: Some fabrics man made whatever you want to call them, that actually have a bit of weight to them. So I've got a few T shirts from our kit through in calls, and they're in like a scuba T shirt and they're quite heavy and they're not like definitely a wetsent or anything, but they're a fabric and I love them because you don't need to iron them and they don't cling, so they're quite stiff. Yeah it's a T shirt, but it just doesn't cling to all them.
Speaker 2: And so good for travel because I must say tea like that. You don't have to steam or iron. I've got some really good sort of polyester blazers that can be crumpled up and chucked in a case and they still look really cool as long as I'm not going to a heat wave.
Speaker 5: Exactly with a bit of weight to it might be made. But I love those T shirts. They're really great because you put them on and then I call them the statement T shirt.
Speaker 3: They look great, but they're not.
Speaker 5: A cleaning floppy, you know, T shirt, and no one ever looks good.
Speaker 2: In I'm going online to have anything else before we get into a bougie and budget. If someone is struggling to get dressed in the morning on a Saturday on a Sunday, and they might have varying levels of things they're doing, what should they do?
Speaker 5: Well, Actually, that's a very good question because I was thinking too that we talked about jeans.
Speaker 3: But I'm a huge fan of chinos.
Speaker 1: Oh tell me more, how don't.
Speaker 5: We describe ginos? So they've just cotton pants, heavy cotton pants. They might be in the new wide legs shape. They're not jeans and they're not boring black pants, so they are perfect for weekends. And I love them as well, so they'll be in a camera or you could do white as well, and then you'll wear them.
Speaker 3: They look great with if you want to dress them up going out.
Speaker 5: You could wear them with a strappy heel and it flowers or sequen tea or something. But then casually going out for breakfast or whatever, you just put on your chinos and a slouchy blaze on a tea, push up the sleeves and plumb some little black dad sands or something and last speakers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even burken stock something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very expensive.
Speaker 3: How mud are these percent.
Speaker 1: Fifi onto bougie and budgets?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are you.
Speaker 2: Going to tell me about? Do you want to start with your boogie or do you want to start with your budget? My items are different, but there are two things I can't live without on the weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would probably have to say a designer bag. So for bougie, yeah, I mean I've got a gorgeous Gucci one that's you know, price of a small car.
Speaker 3: But in terms of cross per where I don't go, Oh, I'm just going to.
Speaker 5: Wear that when I'm going somewhere out for dinner, I'll wear that crossbody with my jeans.
Speaker 1: Even though body versatile.
Speaker 3: How big, Oh, it's just small.
Speaker 5: You can see everything in there, but it's not a huge experside, so it could be worn kind of tucking under my arm sometimes if I'm going out for dinner.
Speaker 3: But that is.
Speaker 5: Definitely the cost of where I've just worn a cross body with active weear.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: And if you are rushing out the door and I just chucked on your simple outfit, You've got a beautiful bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Just said something about the whole wardrobe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think with those is that where you do invest in a really good quality you.
Speaker 3: Just can't kill the n things.
Speaker 1: Yes I can.
Speaker 3: Where they aware them, aware them, they just keep going.
Speaker 2: And they also bring a sense of joy. I mean, I've got so many handbags. When I reach for my favorite handbags and they're probably more on the pricey side, I just feel good.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. I'm like, that's right, that's just so nice. It's a treat.
Speaker 2: Well, my bougie funny you just mentioned Birkenstocks. I only got into Birkenstocks in pregnancy and I live in them, and so the ones that are next on my list are the Birkenstocks st baths let slides. I don't wear the Birkenstocks with the cork heel or the cork sol because I feel.
Speaker 1: Like they get stinking a bit weird. These ones are leather.
Speaker 2: They're three hundred and seventy one dollars, so a lot for a sandal. However, my last pair of Birkenstocks were the Birkenstocks Parensa Shuler collapse them four years ago. I would have paid one cent per wear because I wear them so much. They're molded to my feet. They're like slippers for outside. The scent baths ones, yeah, they're just beautiful. They're chunky at the bottom, but not Chanell Dad chunky, and then just two very simple straps of gold buckle. They're on my wish list on neta Porter. I have favorite of them. I don't think they're going to go on sale. I think sliding on a comfy shoe that you can run around with, and I quite like that with like a linen skirt, you can make the chunkier sand to look a bit. It doesn't have to just be with active web.
Speaker 3: And I've seen three Burton stocks too.
Speaker 5: They're in a fabric, Yeah, because they're great, but again they're not two CA but they're.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, they're very, very versatile. Yeah, okay, what's your budget?
Speaker 5: I have to say that I would probably not spend a lot of money on jeans, so you know, like cotton On would do fantastic wide leg jeans or gar Yeah. And I think brands like Zaa and and Vittlams say they all spend a lot of money on their fit, so they've got to get all right. Yeah, so they're not just pulling out that gene that they made three years ago.
Speaker 2: And what are you looking for in a weekend gene even if it's an affordable store?
Speaker 1: Is it high waist? Wide leg?
Speaker 3: Yeah, wide legs, slouchy?
Speaker 5: I mean I put on anything that every woman does, anything that's too tight to go, Oh no, I can't wear that. I'm going for not too high waist, sitting down a little bit, always go up the size that's and then I just like all the slouchy. Actually I then cut off all my jeans with scissors myself.
Speaker 1: But do you do you hamm them at the bottom yourself.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, yeah, Oh my god, You've just saved me so much money with my pile of dinner and I'm waiting to get altered.
Speaker 3: Made me throw them in the washing machine, then they fraved it. Then you get the scissors out again, and just I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, now they're selling them like that, yes, And I don't have really really.
Speaker 3: Long legs, so I've always going to just slip them off a little bit.
Speaker 1: I love it. No, I agree.
Speaker 2: I bought some great wide legg jeans for Mat and them a few weeks ago. In the comments I get on them, I think they were forty four dollars. My budget is leggings. I was shopping with a girlfriend the other week, and what I want is just a pair of active wear leggings with a trench or an oversized denim jacket or a denim shirt and my birkenstocks or even a kitten. Here, you can't really tell. I went into a store called Rockwear that I've never heard of before. I was in a random shopping center and they are like a sportswear brand. So I purchased because there wasn't any pockets, because I do love an active wear legging.
Speaker 1: With a little pocket.
Speaker 2: But for this I needed really slim lines, so I bought the rock Wear Tummy Support full length time. They're so comfortable, They're so good. They're plain black. They do have a little seam down the side, but it doesn't look spawty. There's no logo, there's no color or contrast. They are so comfortable. I have since worn them with like a cool oversized shirt and a kitten heel, with my sandals, with my new balance and honestly, like a little leather jacket.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's tapping into that prepant thing that's happening there.
Speaker 2: I say, yeah, well, I got the full length because I don't have ankles, right, but they do come in lots of different lengths.
Speaker 5: The stir of pants are kind of coming back too. I've been talking about them for a couple of years. So that's that type of thing you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Leg Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm doing the really big volume and slouchiness on the top, but then the legging just so I can literally get out of the car and run and not worry about tripping over my wide leg pants.
Speaker 1: Well, Fife. You've got me excited about getting dressed this coming week. Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And if everyone wants to follow Fifi on Instagram, they need you because you'll understand her philosophy when you see it visually and you will have a wardrobe full of white shoes. Piffie, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Nothing to Where.
Speaker 2: Don't forget. There's a newsletter that goes with this show. It's wonderful and it's free, so if you want to sign up, there's a link in the show notes. If you enjoyed this episode, we did a wonderful one on fabrics about how they can elevate your overall look and feel, so we're going to pop a link in the show notes because it's really worth a listen.
Speaker 1: See you next week.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced by Grace Roofray with audio production.
Speaker 1: By Lou Hill.
Speaker 2: This podcast is powered by our subscribers. If you believe in independent women's media and you want to support us, a subscription to Mamma Mia only costs about the price of a.
Speaker 1: Coffee each month.
Speaker 2: There's a link in the show notes and a big thank you to all our current subscribers,