Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Miya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: Hi Kateline Brooke here dropping into your feed with a very special gift. And I say gift because what you're about to hear will fill you with all of the warm feelings and it should make you want to call your best friend. This is an episode of Holly Wainwright's podcast Mid her guests Oh My Goodness, Amanda Keller A Piece of Gold, and her beautiful best friend Anita McGregor. You'll know Amanda from her many decades as an Australian television and radio presenter, comedian, writer, actor and journalist, and you'll likely be meeting her best friend, Anita, a forensic psychologist, for the first time, but you'll very quickly understand why these two have been inseparable since they first met seventeen years ago. This conversation goes everywhere from the things your friends can hold your hand true and what they can't, and when or eve you should ever offer your best friend feedback. I hope you enjoyed this episode of Mead.
Speaker 2: I met my soulmate when I was eleven. The way I remember it is that our respective mothers banned us from going to some party or other, and instead it was suggested that we have a sleepover together. We were furious. Forty two years later and any time I get to have a sleepover with my best and oldest friend Lindsey, I will take it. It doesn't happen often because we live on opposite sides of the world. When I was twenty three, Lindsay was at London's Heathrow Airport to wave me off as I traveled to Australia for a year long traveling adventure. We cried and we cried, and that year has turned into thirty thirty years. And yet if we get the opportunity to spend even a few days together anywhere in the world, those days are worth years, and we still cry at airports. I also, as a fifty three year old woman, still have regular sleepovers with another great maid of mine, Penny, my treasure weekends away with a pick and Mix bag of my closest friends. I have mates I message daily and beloved ones I don't speak to for months. I have new friends I already can't imagine life without, and friends I share professional passions with to whom I owe a great deal. I'm bragging now and you know it. Because friendship, if you're lucky enough to have it in your life, is the greatest privilege of all and the thing that makes an enormous difference to our happiness and our well being. And one of the profound joys of getting older is getting to write new pages into your friendship histories and mark birthdays. The losses and the struggles, and the splits and the bad days all scroll out across pages that bound together tell us everything about ourselves and each other. I also have ex friends. You probably do too, relationships that ended mid sentence, leaving unsatisfying blank pages, and I've mourned them like old lovers, and I've wrestled with how to heal rifts may be left too long to revive. Because friends are the loves of our lives, as the iconic, aspirational, sometimes toxic Carrie Bradshaw's Girl Gang told us back when we were young, and in the manner of loves of our lives, they run the gammer of being the best and worst of us. They lift you higher, and they break your fucking heart, and respect must be paid here's a raised, steaming tea mug. To the friend you can itch your hormone patch in front of, who will walk beside you in your stupid weighted vest, who will congratulate you for your teeny weeny tomato harvest and agree that your partner is a dickhead today and a hero tomorrow. Who sees you through your job, through your children, through what your body's doing today. Who knows your mum's not been well. Who knows when your next appointment is. Who knows when to ask if you're okay and when to shut the hell up. Who dropped the meme of your dreams in the group chat on a bad day, and will sing in the car with you at the top of your terrible voices when life feels right. The friends who know the backstory, who indulge your tantrums just enough. To the deep grown up friendships and the ones forged over silly shared enthusiasms. To the ones who live next door and the ones on the other side of the world, and the ones who aren't here anymore. Soul mats all, Hello, I'm Holly Wainwright, and I am mid midlife, mid family, mid midlife crisis Number eight. We've been away for a while, and now we're back. This is season four, a mid the show for gen X women who are anything but, and over the next eight episodes, I'm going to be talking to grown up women, some of whom you know, some you'll be meeting for the first time, who have great stories and spot on insights into the things that make a life. I always say we've got no time or tolerance for small talk by the time we get here, but that doesn't mean everything is heavy, quite the opposite. I know that right now, I'm searching for conversations that cheer me, that soothe me, that make me laugh, make me hopeful, distract me from the enormous and tiny challenges that we're all wading through every day in our real lives and out in the big scary world. Some of the conversations we've got for you here are about things like shamefree sex, and falling in love again after a big split, about reinvention after a massive career crash, about caring for our aging parents, and about hair and a lot more too. So I hope you I'm going to love season four. But today I'm having a conversation about something I've been dying to talk about with people I've been dying to talk to. I think you probably all know who Amanda Keller is. I'll tell you really quickly just in case, that she's an accomplished and experienced media everything. She's a TV host and an award winning rating topping breakfast radio legend. But I'm going to stop talking because what I've got Amanda to come in and tell us about was none of that, really, even though we obviously go there a little bit. I invited her and her best friend to come in and talk about friendship. The person sitting beside Amanda in this conversation is her equally accomplished and impressive best friend, Anita McGregor. The two make their own podcasts together, which you'll hear about obviously, but I predict that five minutes into this you'll be as obsessed with Anita as I am, and with their friendship. And now I really am going to stop talking, because the first thing I asked Amanda and Nita to do was to introduce each other through a best friend's eyes to you.
Speaker 4: Yes, Anita McGregor, by profession, is a forensic psychologist. I only mentioned the profession is because it gives her an insight into society that many of us wouldn't normally have, and you do it with such kindness. I'm always amazed at the respect you give your clients. These are people who are before the courts, people who have transgressed, people who might be major sex offenders, people who are living really tough lives.
Speaker 5: And the delicacy with.
Speaker 4: Which you treat them and the respect you give them and their place in society, I find is a very refreshing take. So that's why you're a very interesting person to have in the room to reflect on anyone talking about society, life, rules, justice.
Speaker 5: You're a great calming voice.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: And she's a scrag scrag favorite strat favorites.
Speaker 2: Well, the pressure is on them.
Speaker 1: Something nice about that wasn't what was in my head.
Speaker 6: This is my friend Amanda Keller, who, gosh, I would imagine everyone in Australia knows of you that you are a radio broadcaster, you are a TV star. You are but you are also more than that. You are a wife, you are a mother, you are a great friend, an intrepid walker with me.
Speaker 1: You are all those things and.
Speaker 6: The thing that I think that is the most amazing quality of you is that when people ask you know, oh you know Amanda Keller, you know what she like? And I think my response is generally, you know how kind and generous she seems, you know on the air on the TV. That's exactly what you get. She is kind and she is generous and I love her.
Speaker 5: Oh it's lovely.
Speaker 2: And she didn't wood, not even once. Beautiful and nada. You're from Canada, I am. And you met Amanda quite early in your time in Australia, within about a month. Can you tell me how we met? Story?
Speaker 6: Oh, so we meet cute, I meet cute. Yes, so we had moved here. It was supposed to be like a two year adventure. My husband had been offered a contract to work and I thought, oh, it's going to be just such a fun thing.
Speaker 1: I didn't know a soul.
Speaker 6: I'd never been here, and we had rented a place in Coujie at the recommendation of one of my husband's workmates, and we had just got all the shipment in. I was exhausted and I went for a massage with a friend of ours, Jackie Racist, and she said, Oh, you're new here, why don't you come there's a Dancing with the Stars on which I didn't know. I had no idea what the show was. And my friend and Amanda is dancing in it. Why don't you come over and watch this? And I thought this is weird, but I went and I watched.
Speaker 4: Because you didn't know Jackie either, I don't know how jack here you had to step over the friendship divide with her to beginning.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, And so saw you on Dancing with the Stars. Had no idea, and then you invited us out to it was a charity thing, and I went out and met you there and all these people were pointing and going, that's Amanda Keller.
Speaker 1: I had no idea.
Speaker 6: And then, you know, so we just kind of got to know each other that way, with me just being completely naive to you know, the world of Amanda Keller, and which was really actually kind of a nice way to do it, because I, you know, I think I would have probably been intimidated or weirded out or something, and I just wasn't. And so yeah, and then we started started dating friendship.
Speaker 5: Dating friendship.
Speaker 2: When you're new in a new country, you have some friendship vacancies that need filling.
Speaker 6: Oh, It's a scary thing is on the one hand, there's just this I can be whoever I want. But on the other hand, it's like nobody knows. Like those friendships that you have with people that you've known since you've been kids, or university or kids, you know, when you've had kids, and there's this kind of shorthand that you have as a friend, and I didn't have any of that. So there it was a double edged sword for for quite a while.
Speaker 2: It's like nobody knows me, and it's like nobody knows me, but Amanda, you presumably didn't necessarily have very many vacancies. How did Anita get.
Speaker 5: Questions? She's got an enormous chick.
Speaker 1: I'm for assistance.
Speaker 4: I just think there was some hugely common ground in our nature's maybe because I don't actually know how to answer that question.
Speaker 5: We would start to.
Speaker 4: Go for walks as a group, but as a group we would socialize, and then you and I kind of splinted off at some point and we'd go for weekly walks and just talk. And I don't know how to be more specific than that. It kind of just evolved really that it wasn't like we were starstruck with each other when we saw each other and fell in love.
Speaker 5: It just evolved.
Speaker 4: And often in those big groups you form your little factions within them. Factions is a harsh word, but your little friendship groups within them. And we kind of splint it off and made one of those a little satellite.
Speaker 2: And was there a moment when you kind of went, oh, we're definitely going to be friends or was it just that slow burn? Oh I'm gonna I need to call Anita. I want to tell Anita that like that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I really think it was a slow burn.
Speaker 5: I think so too.
Speaker 4: And it's interesting how much when people meet Anita as a psychologist for you, but I reckon you. Probably a see of people saying, don't analyze me, thinking that that's what she'll do. And I laugh when I hear that. But at the same time, I find it so interesting that I blab about every single thing to you in my life and you answer with friendship, never with I never feel your sounds terrible, never being professional.
Speaker 1: Your sometimes I really am.
Speaker 4: There's never a you know what you should do, there's never any of I never think, oh, that's right, you're a psychologist. I never ever feel that we meet as friends, and I don't know how you separate the two.
Speaker 5: I don't know how you do that.
Speaker 6: I you know, I think for the most part the it well, because I've been a psychologist for over thirty years, like half my life, more than half my life.
Speaker 1: That it's you know, just the.
Speaker 6: That main idea about I'm going to listen is, you know, that's kind of my life as a psychologist, but it's also my life as a friend. And I you know, I don't give advice to my clients either, really, so it feels pretty comfortable in doing that.
Speaker 2: I think some people would be really jealous that you're best friend's a psychologists, because you would imagine that you'd be like, you know, we all go through things, particularly midlife can get very rolling pastry, and you're like free therapy.
Speaker 5: But it's interesting, it never feels like therapy.
Speaker 4: But though maybe subconsciously, and I don't know if it's subconscious for you, but maybe you're like a border Collie like my dog that kind of just subtly hurts me somewhere. Yeah, and I'm not even aware of it.
Speaker 2: I was listening to your show recently to double a Chattery, and I think Amanda you were talking about and I've been doing this too, reframing I have to with I get to gratitude. And I was listening to your conversation, and if I was in your shoes, Amanda, I would have been looking for approval from Anita on that like that. She goes, that's very good. I know.
Speaker 7: I find myself saying to her, I read this incredible theme in Dolly magazine, like I must tell you the most basic psychological things I've read and you and like, I've been seeing this incredible person. She said, I should try this and you must go God.
Speaker 2: But you were great, Anita, because you said something like and how's it going for you? Like, which is a therapistic thing to say in a way, but like, but exactly what you need and you are like, it's helping, it's helping. So I imagine that that is it's not a deliberate dynamic, but it must be great.
Speaker 4: But I never feel self conscious saying to Anita the dumbest, most basic way I cope with anything, and you never make me feel judged, and sometimes like it's only now talking to you, Holly, I think, yeah, actually, how embarrassing that I've said to Anita here's an interesting psychology you probably haven't.
Speaker 5: Heard Of't be grateful.
Speaker 4: Apparently, it's really let me introduce her to it, Anita can't.
Speaker 1: Let's try that.
Speaker 2: Well, at the risk of doing the same thing to it now, I was going to say that there's a lot of studies out there that friendship is absolutely crucial to our mental health, right and connection, and there's a lot of sort of handringing about that. Maybe as a community, as a world, we're getting less connected and we're finding friendships harder because we fear the judgment that comes with it, or we're not sure how to connect, or we're just not in the same physical spaces to connect. I mean, what do you inter One of the things that mid listeners tell me all the time is it's their girlfriends often. I mean, they're friends, but their girlfriends often that save them, that get them through the hard times. Do you think that we're in a crisis of connection? And are we right to think that our friendships are the things that keep us saying.
Speaker 6: There's a big part of me that would just like to answer, yes, it's a crisis. We need you know, we've really disconnected and all that. But I was actually just recently reading some research that really delighted me that was talking about. It was mostly about adolescent mental health, but what they were talking about is that often we're looking about like how many friends do we have?
Speaker 1: And you know, but the.
Speaker 6: Research actually is much more supportive of having one or two really good friends, and because once you get into a bigger like any more than three or four and we've all been there where you get into a bigger friendship group and it does split into like not I know you were saying factions, and sometimes it is, but it's you know, it's like she likes me better, and you know, you've get all the way left.
Speaker 2: I wasn't invited on that wall.
Speaker 6: Course, yeah yeah, or you know they've they've organized to do something and I'm not there, And especially with social media, that can be so hurtful. So I actually was really encouraged by the idea that, yes, there is a disconnection, and yet the answer isn't I need one hundred friends and I need to be out and doing things every night. The idea, sometimes, I think, is more about finding those those opportunities to get deeper with somebody, to be a little bit vulnerable with somebody, and to see whether you can create that friendship you know, like you know, sometimes it's not you know, just falling in love in a friendship, but it's sometimes it is that slow burn. And you know, there's there's also riches that research that says you need to spend about one thousand hours with somebody to actually create that depth, that that history with each other.
Speaker 4: It's one thousand dollars a lot puts. What's that in a context of a week or a year. I can't do the meths on it.
Speaker 6: I don't know, And I mean I don't know how they count that. I mean, it is it just a text to each other?
Speaker 1: Does that count?
Speaker 5: But?
Speaker 6: I mean I think that we can connect in a lot of different ways now.
Speaker 2: Because people worry about their friendship connections faltering as life changes. Right, so you two have been friends for the best part of two decades. Right, busy people, big jobs in different ways. How practically do you stay connected to your friends? Is like little kids to big kids, Career shifts, geographical moves like are you schedule people? Are you like it's every Wednesday? I mean, how do you do that?
Speaker 5: It's interesting.
Speaker 4: Before I get to how we do it, I often feel anxiety around the fact I'm not very good at it with a lot of people and a text may come up let's get together, and I have a panic over it. I never do that with you, Anita, And there are some friends where you go, I'll get to you and I can get to you, or let's put it in the diary for the future. I'm not really I don't have time right now that can fill me with anxiety, so I can limit my work. But sometimes it's the social stuff that I find I'm not very good at limiting, and that makes me panic.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And one of the reasons why we bought a place on the South Coast was so that I could say I'm not here this week because I will fill every gap if people ask me to, whether I want to or not.
Speaker 2: Do you fill the gaps because you feel anxious to have the space, or do you feel gaps as a people? Please fill the gaps?
Speaker 4: People, please, And to let people down and they're my friends and I haven't seen them for a while, and that's what friends do.
Speaker 6: But you have gotten much better, or at least with me.
Speaker 1: I'm saying no.
Speaker 6: Of you know, kind of saying I don't want to do this now, or I can't do this, or I don't have the energy, or those kinds of which is you know, I think a lovely thing that friends can do with each other. But we and we're not exactly schedule people, but other than we have a standing date at least once on the weekend to go for a while when we're in town.
Speaker 4: And now that you've moved further away, that now involves a car. We used to just meet down at the beach and go for a walk, so one of us has to get up half an hour earlier and be ready earlier. The first time I went to Anita's new place with my dog, I was very.
Speaker 2: Rude of her to move, and I could feel it. An you moved like a few So you've moved across town.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's probably about half an hour away. Twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Well, my dog must have taken it very personally because when you went to Anita's new but she just had the carpets, claimed many has never done this before. She went in and did a giant whee on then.
Speaker 5: You come out. It was awful, awful.
Speaker 4: But I find also physically as things get harder for me. I've had two hit replacements and I've got a thritis in my back.
Speaker 5: We all do it some we've all got stuff.
Speaker 4: But there's some days we'll say to Anita, I had I was filming this week or whatever it is, and I stood up all week. I'm just too sort of go for a walk. So I'm being more diligent with myself in protecting myself. But I know I can say that to you With other people, I may not know I can say to you, sorry about that. I just feel crap today.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's the mark of good friendship. I think I heard a conversation that you were where you were talking about how a good friendship is someone can come over to your house and you don't feel like you have to tidy, you know, you have to feel like you have to tidy the counters or whatever. I'm not a natural hostess. It sends me into a panic if somebody is coming to my house. But is it also a sign of good friendship that when you do say I just don't have the energy or there's just too many other demands that they're not going to get offended by that.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I'm trying to push through worrying about that that this is what I have, this is what I have to do to survive today. Not survive that's overly dramatic, but you know I work hard all week as many of us do stuff and stuff and stuff, and you get to the weekend and think, I just don't have anyemy to tick it up earlier this morning.
Speaker 5: And go for a walk.
Speaker 1: You're doing a very good job at ignoring my tears that you know.
Speaker 5: What's she doing.
Speaker 4: She's put on the water works, hasn't she She's going with the waterworks. But also what I love about our friendship is that you mentioned before about being vulnerable and eata. You can bitch and moan about your husband, about your parents, about you, anything, and it's such a safe space that you know that that isn't the mark of that relationship that you're having. That's just how you're feeling Today's like you could never tell your mum how you if you had a fight with your boyfriend or your husband, because they would never get over it, they'd mark them forever. Whereas I feel quite safe sharing that stuff with you when we.
Speaker 6: Have I love early in our friendship, I think that remember we had a conversation that one of us was saying something about our husband, and you know, and and we said, let's recognize that I might like if it was me, I might be mad at Emmett right now. And you get to hear this, but you don't get to hear us make up. You don't get to hear the conversation that happens after when we resolve things.
Speaker 1: You don't get to hear any of that.
Speaker 6: So you know, you need that cognitive process to kind of say I get that, you know, I might be mad at Emmett today, but you know we have a long term marriage, and so we're going to get through it.
Speaker 4: And that's the stuff you never see in popular culture. You never see the boring bits in the middle where things get resolved, because that's not interesting to anybody.
Speaker 2: It's true, I often wonder this as we get older and wise, there are lots of things happen. Do you think friends, good friends call each other out when they're being unreasonable, you know, maybe making choices that aren't good for them, Or do you think that good friends are always the supportive rock. That's what I'm always wrestling with is whether you you know that where people say the people closer to you should be the ones you say you need to stop doing that thing, or whether they're the ones who are the understanding ones. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I'm highly sensitive, and so I judge the messenger very harshly. And even though in an ideal world you say yes, you're you know, practically you want your friends to tell you that, I don't think I want to hear it.
Speaker 5: How do you feel?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you know that friend And I'm not saying any wanted this, but the friend who is always complaining about their husband or their job or whatever it is, or you know, something in their lifestyle. Always at what point do good friends say? Hey?
Speaker 6: I think it depends on the friendship. Like like you and I have had that conversation that you know, if I looked really terrible in an outfit, you wouldn't tell me that.
Speaker 5: I would never tell you.
Speaker 6: They never tell even though I'd want to hear it. Like I'm really big on feedback, and so I gut that that would make you feel uncomfortable, even though I'd like to hear it. And so, and I recognize that you are sensitive, and so.
Speaker 4: All my outfits terrible. It's all I've heard in this entire conversation, she's mean to.
Speaker 1: Talk to you about it.
Speaker 5: We've had this.
Speaker 4: We actually have had this conversation. I wrote a book a number of years ago and Anita wanted to read it, and I said, oh, here it is, just thinking, I'm just.
Speaker 5: Passing it over.
Speaker 4: And she said, how would you how do you take feedback feedback?
Speaker 1: Because I didn't know.
Speaker 5: Like, I was like, you're an educator't me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean that's my that's my life, you know, teaching students and stuff and giving feedback.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm really like, I was like, do you do you?
Speaker 6: And then and it was like hmm, and so we just that's a great book, Amanda.
Speaker 2: I'm like, mate, your job is to tell me everything I do is great, because there are plenty of other people in my life we're going to tell me.
Speaker 5: That it's not.
Speaker 6: But I have friendships where I could say that too, and I have colleagues that I you know, that's the basis of our work relationship where we give each other really strong feedback, and you know, certainly with my supervisors and and that kind of stuff. So there, I think it depends on the friendship, and it depends on the topic, because there may be topics where you know, I may think that I don't know, like I mean, if I thought that you were being really overreacting to something.
Speaker 4: Actually we had this conversation recently. Is that I was overreacting to something. I was cranky about about ten things. And you showed me a clip of a woman who had a nail in her head and she was talking to her husband and she was and she was saying, I just don't feel right.
Speaker 5: You're not supporting me enough.
Speaker 4: And he's trying to say, we've got a nail in your head, and she said, no, no, no, this this, and he said, no, you've got a nail in your head. And finally he says, oh, sweetheart, I hear what she's saying. You're not feeling going. She's just thank you. And I've been thinking about that a lot, because you probably observed me. My husband's done well, and so I'm looking at the world through a filter. And you were saying, you know, you're seeing all this with a nail in your head. I didn't know what to do about the nail, but I thought, yes, but I am seeing the world. I do have a nail in my head, so I didn't know how to process the fact that I do have a nail in my head. But that's one of the only times where I thought, you're trying to tell me something here. I'm not sure exactly what it is, because I know that I know that I'm having a negative moment or a depressive moment, or an angry moment where I'm seeing everything through that veil and I'm aware of it. But on the other hand, I think, well, here's why, because some things.
Speaker 6: Came pretty shite, and your natural stat is to be optimistic and see things, you know, very positively. I cannot remember what was going through my head at the time I showed it. I you know that that it was probably something that I had showed a class or something. I probably was thinking about how hard you were seeing the world at the time.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because also you would have heard the term a million times about toxic positivity, where we're encouraged by pop culture and you know, sort of leaking for one of a better term, therapy, speaking to everyday life, to put a positive spin on everything and to see everything as a lesson. And you know what am I learning from this today? And I'm sure this you know whereas sometimes things are just terrible shit and.
Speaker 5: You need to sit in the shammer into your own hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and just sit and feel the nail. Just step field.
Speaker 5: But it did give me a really good perspective.
Speaker 4: I just thought, yes, I am being this today, and I probably won't be this tomorrow, but I'm seeing a whole lot of good things.
Speaker 5: It was because I'm talking about how.
Speaker 4: People were trying to help and I was getting cranky at everything. I think that was it. I just needed a shift in perspective.
Speaker 2: More of my conversation with best friends Amanda Keller and Anita McGregor after this short break stay with us. We've touched on a couple of these in this conversation, I think, but in which ways are you similar? In which ways are you different? So we've acknowledged here that Amanda is the sensitive one, and you would be more straight talking if she wasn't such a snowflake.
Speaker 4: Interestingly, I have a job where I get rated and judged by ratings and constant I don't read a lot of social media feedback because I just wouldn't be able to handle it. So ironically, in my work life, it's constant judgment and constant feedback and constant feedback.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably why in your personal life you're also a.
Speaker 5: Bit like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's try to put the blinkers on. How are we similar, Anita, let's ask the grown up?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it is interesting that that. You know, when we go to your place on the South Coast and we spend a weekend together, we will spend days.
Speaker 1: You know, what are we going to eat? What are we going to do?
Speaker 6: And we generally end up eating you know, sardines on toast, and we end up reading books together or playing dominoes when we can, and you know, so it's the similarities are that that. It's a funny thing to say because I tend to get up at about you get up at what four for work, Yeah, And I usually get up at about four thirty, just because that's when my you know, my brain starts turning on. And so it's I think that because we're both mourning people and we both have very similar kind of rhythms about how our lives and our work, you know, just go.
Speaker 5: I think that's right.
Speaker 4: And we do kitchen time very well together, yeah, which I think is a big part of a great friendship.
Speaker 5: Is that we plann what are we going to eat? When are doing this and not being this?
Speaker 4: And we chop chop chop, and I'm going to put this on and we potter very well together and then we sit down and read very well together comfortably.
Speaker 5: You can't do that with everybody.
Speaker 2: No, you can't. You can't do that with that. You can't have that away time where you're not doing, doing doing all the time. Is it hard to have a friend who's in the public eye, Anita, a best friend who's in the public eye, And do you feel defensive of her? And when there's invasions of your privacy? And do you not talk about work?
Speaker 1: I am protective of you in that I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't often like because you know, by my nature, I'm quite private, you know, part of it's just who I am, but it's part of it has been my profession as well, and so I recognize the need for some sense of privacy. So I'm protective of that. I don't tell a lot of people that we're friends. I mean, it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Hard not to now now now you've got public we're going to Esky podcast.
Speaker 1: It is, yeah, so.
Speaker 5: It must it might manifest itself strangely.
Speaker 4: For example, when we went to see Kat Stevens and this guy asked Anita to take a photo of me and him, and then he came back after interval and said, well, I've been looking for you.
Speaker 5: That was a terrible closure, and.
Speaker 4: I thought sorry for Anita because she hasn't asked to be dragged into this.
Speaker 1: It was hilarious. So I took a picture on the top of his head.
Speaker 2: Like you totally asked for talking about the podcast, because your conversation, your chemistry on that is so brilliant, and as you you're I'm sure you had an instinct, Amanda, because you knew that Anita's, as you've said in her introduction, just such an interesting thinker in terms of what you talk about. So you must have been like, this is going to be good. But was it also just an excuse to spend more time together.
Speaker 5: Oh, it absolutely was. It was all of those things.
Speaker 4: But we'd often talk about things on the walk that I think other people might like to be part of this conversation too, Because I'd come from things from one perspective and Anita would come from a completely different perspective. I thought that would be an interesting thing for people to hear, because you know, a million people have podcasts and have opinions and have things to say. But I thought I haven't heard somebody like Anita.
Speaker 2: Do you disagree very much in terms of on issues and things that are happening in the world, because so on Mama, MI are out loud, which I obviously do with two of my good friends. But we do disagree, and people often say that must be really hard. And I don't know if this is true or not. You probably do know an to and it's true or not. But somebody said, if you can disagree on the details, but if your values are shared, it's easier.
Speaker 6: I think her values are definitely share. I don't think that we've ever had any bigger disagreements.
Speaker 1: We tend to.
Speaker 6: You know. What I find is really interesting is that Amanda has been my educator in you know, political things, Australian history that you know that you know who's you know, what's happened in austral.
Speaker 5: History of Peter Andre, that kind of stuff, that kind.
Speaker 6: Of stuff, the really important stuff that culture yeah yeah, but yeah, pop culture, but also kind of just historical things. And so we tend You're right, we tend to come at things with from different angles. But but I think under the underlying that is that similarity and values.
Speaker 4: We did a podcast the week of the terrible Bondi stabbings, and I was so grateful to have somebody like Anita to give a perspective on this in that the media was filled with stories about we're not doing enough for the victims, and it's so true, but you came at it from a different perspective, which was you work every day with the perpetrators, and we need to fix the problem upstream. We need to invest in the perpetrators. And people didn't want to hear about They didn't want him to be part of the conversation, they didn't want any of that kind of discussed. And it's true that our sympathies were downstream, but we were never going to fix it until we looked upstream. You spoke with such sympathy and clarity about the kind of people that are upstream and why we need to help them.
Speaker 5: HM.
Speaker 6: So yeah, but I think that that again your compassion for you know, your broad audience, like it's you know, you were asking before about is it tough to have you know, somebody who's in the public eye as a friend.
Speaker 1: But you know, one of the things.
Speaker 6: That the toughest part is that when you know, we'll be out at an event and people stop Amanda, you know, and we'll sometimes be in the middle of a conversation, but you are often always so kind and willing, and you know, so you come from a position of compassion as well that you recognize that it is you know, the people who listen to you deserve some of your time.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a privilege to be called somebody's friend, that they feel they know you and worry about you and think about you and care about you and want to come up and say hellow, I see.
Speaker 5: That is a privilege.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I want to ask you both because obviously you have started the podcast, you both have big careers. Really I want to know how you're, just in terms of general wisdom, how your attitude to work and ambition is at this point in your lives, because you've made a decision to start this new project, which requires commitment, promotion, all of those things.
Speaker 4: It's funny that, like I've just come back onto the radio that were in the second week, part of me goes, oh god, that's right, I'm sixty three this year. Part of me thinks this schedule is hard, But I thought that I don't know what I pictured when I was younger, But I thought the dailiness of radio would have worn me down by now. But it's hard with my shifting fortunes at home in terms of my husband not being well.
Speaker 5: Is that I need. I now know somewhere to go every day.
Speaker 4: I need an alarm clock to go off in the morning and for me to go somewhere where I'm fully engaged for a chunk of hours of the day, where I laugh, I cry, I listen to other people's stories. You scratch the surface and everybody has a story. I've spoken about this about the word sounder, which means the gradual realization that everybody is going through something, something good, something sad, and I'm aware of that. With a radio audience, they're having their best and their worst days and you're not even aware of it, but you're on the ride with them. And so I find being there is a great equalizer for me. If I think if I was just sitting at home, I would wallow. So by the time in my life I thought I'd be wrapping this up, I actually realize how much I.
Speaker 5: Need it at the moment.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting because a large part of, you know, our shifting perspectives is dealing with things that you didn't think were going to happen. So, I mean, I'm sure that when you were working in breakfast radio every day when the boys were small, you have two sons, that was a different kind of challenge and you probably thought, well, when they're older, it's all going to be easier and whatever. And then life throws you a curveball in the form of a health, yeah crisis, and work takes a different form. Again.
Speaker 4: Interesting, it kind of saves me, I think. But An here and I often talk about this about and we've got friends who are at the point of wondering what retirement looks like and how we.
Speaker 5: Feel about that.
Speaker 4: And it's that old trope of and I don't agree with it, of you put too much stock in your job. That's not who people are. But I think there's a lot of pride in the jobs that we do, and it's okay to be defined by that to a certain extent. You know, you don't have to go and pash a dolphin every day and work one day a year to be a true person. That's not where you necessarily find yourself. And I know a lot of people say, oh, they've retired, and few why don't I do it years ago? Because you don't know yourself. I love what I get from the work I do.
Speaker 6: I love the idea that at my age, I'm still contributing, and and in fact I have I think I have a lot to contribute. And it's I don't feel as though I'm done, and I don't know what done would look like. But when I think about all the people that you know, we've talked, you know to some of who have gone to you know, you know, that retirement place, and that they're you know, and they're enjoying life, and and that's awesome. I'm happy that they are doing that and that they're finding that that part of their lives. I just can't see myself not doing what I'm doing right now. I can see, you know, somewhere in the distance, that there will be something else, but I'm not quite there yet.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because on that changing perspectives things. Do you think that when you were younger, you thought, you know, how you were saying, Amanda, I thought breakfast radio would have wore me down, did you. When you're twenty and you think about forty, you're like, oh, you know, I'll definitely be wanting to put my feet up or whatever, and or it'll look like this and it'll feel like that. And then you get there and you're like spring chicken, and then and like you're you're saying, I'm not done. Is that's really resonates because that's what I feel. I'm fifty three, so but I'm like, I don't feel and I still feel like I've got so much to learn and give and do. I'm getting started, but it feels sometimes like the wider world is like slow down, calm down, back off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I get a lot of that, why are you still doing this? I get quite blatantly people saying, oh my god, don't you want to give it up? Because to other people, that early alarm clock, that daily thing might seem like a chore.
Speaker 5: It doesn't feel like that to me.
Speaker 4: It's a gift that I get to share my perspective on whatever I feel like every day.
Speaker 5: So I don't see it that way.
Speaker 4: When I was younger, I pictured being sixty like being like that painting of Whistler's mother just you know, in a rocking chair or wearing black. It's all over because I didn't have role models who were working women, let alone women who work this long. So all of this is new, I think for all of us. But I can see why in the media, I'm probably the last of a certain dinosaur, and I have no interest in reinventing. I don't give a rats about starting a new project integrated into a blah blah and a blah blah. I'm happy to ride this wave that I'm on and then when it's time, hopefully I can do a delicate dismount. You can never you never assume that, either in the media or in life. We're talking about that in terms of your home life, but your professional life too. You assume that there's a delicate dismount when you hit the shore. But maybe you've put in a wave and you've got sand through a gust and you just don't know what's there.
Speaker 2: But also you're really really good at what you do because you've been doing it. It's like there's a bit of a dismissal of experience that I feel as a and maybe because the way we see women, particularly women in the public eye, but not only certainly a lot in other fields too, are like, oh, do you really still have something to offer? It's like, I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 6: There's the word that's kind of rolling around my head right now, and it feels uncomfortable in some ways. Is like being a role model for being older and successful and still you know, being able to contribute. And it's you know, it's interesting because the students that I teach now are often in their early twenties, early mid twenties, and they, you know, I'm the age of some of their parents and even some of their could it be possible their grandparents, and you know, you kind of think they're probably they have a picture in their head of what an old person, what they are, what they can do. And I don't mind that the students see me cycling to UNI or you know, to the clinic and you know, coming in and teaching, and I like that maybe there is an aspect where we can kind of break some ideas about you know, what an older woman can be.
Speaker 4: And there was I think it was the West Australian Premier at one point said we've cracked down on racism, sexism. He said agism is the last big one, and he was just suggesting that let's look at the potency of language around it, not just that dismissive yeah boomer stuff, but also how people in the older generation think younger people are. But it seems that people trying to re enter the workforce and be validated is really hard as you get older. Maybe is that evolutionary that at some point you'd need you should be moving away for others? Is there something maybe bigger in there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe there's a panic that our generations never going to go.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right, We're going to own all the big houses and will never go.
Speaker 2: We're going to figure out how to live forever, like die in Silicon Valley. Yes, And we're just we're never going anywhere.
Speaker 4: So maybe the younger generations have a right to be anxious that the old we're still hanging around. When are we going to move over and let someone else have a crack at it.
Speaker 2: The rest of my conversation with Amanda Keller and Anita McGregor best Friends, Colleagues, truth Tellers after the Break Did you have strong female friendship role modeled to you by your own mothers?
Speaker 6: Do you think, oh, my mother's bridge club, Absolutely that was you know, every I think it was every Tuesday and they, yeah, there was an end and she had my mom had a friend Eileen, who she talked to every morning. You know, there is just that connection that it was just checking in, how are you doing that kind of thing. So yeah, I think it was. It was an important part, especially since my mom, you know, after she got married, didn't work after a while.
Speaker 2: So connection my.
Speaker 5: Mom had that with her sisters. She was very close to her sisters.
Speaker 4: They all lived in different places around Australia, spoke constantly, a very very tight unit, a very big clan of a gaggle of them, and I felt we were the only offshoot in Sydney. And there's just my brother and I and very close to all our cousins for a number of years, and since Mom passed away twenty years ago. Now it's a shock for me to say that to you them my lost mom twenty years ago. But the women are the keepers of those sort of connections and I've kind of lost track with cousins and things like that because it was Mum that held all that together.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear you tell me a little bit about what life's like with your adult children.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I was listening to Double a Chattery the other day and you were both talking about the summer hot Well, not summer holidays for you, Anita, because you went to Canada where it sounded so cold. Never need to go there.
Speaker 5: In winter.
Speaker 2: I grew up in Manchester, Englhend. That was plenty cold enough for me and Amanda. You went away with your boys, who are not boys anymore but men. My children are teenagers. I'm seeing the pull away, the closed bedroom door, the next phase of parenting. Me and Brent talk about it all the time. Tell me the good things about the kids being grown up. You're a grandma, I needed.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not yet because when you when you have your children at one hundred and fifty eight, it does take a.
Speaker 5: Little bit longer.
Speaker 4: That I dreaded the boys leaving home. But the dread was harder than the reality. Oh that's yes, because you live with the dread from the minute they're born, and then when it actually happens, it's almost like you've kind of quarterized the wound a little bit, and I found, actually I'm surviving.
Speaker 5: This is okay.
Speaker 4: I remember when both boys got big, and I'd be in a restaurant and I turn behind me think it was the way I think, oh my god, that's liam. So the physicality surprised me. And the way you express your love for them is different. You don't hug them as much, you know when they're little and you hold their hands. And suddenly, as a mum with a teenage boy, how do you.
Speaker 5: Express that love?
Speaker 2: That's harder that I want you to touch them all the time. It's so selfish of that.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: And the grace with which you have to read the mood and not grope them around the neck.
Speaker 5: And my daughter walks past me.
Speaker 2: Now I just try to get a whiff of her, like, yeah, yes, because you.
Speaker 4: Don't want to be that needy parent. But I'm finding now neither of my sons live at home. They've been on various campuses and things. And because I get up so early in the morning, them coming to live at home again sort of, my younger son would get home at two and I have to get up at four.
Speaker 5: Was all getting bit hard.
Speaker 4: But a valuable lesson I learned was with my younger son when he went moved on campus. Every conversation I had with him was telling him, don't forget to do this. You don't forget to do that. You stuffed this up, You've got a blah blah blah. There was an agenda for every conversation. I could tell because my mum used to do that to me and it was so hard to get hold of him. I've chosen to have agender free conversations with him, and now he calls me every day, as does my oldest son.
Speaker 5: They both we all speak every day.
Speaker 4: But it's only when I stopped telling Jack what to do and nagging him about have you done it?
Speaker 5: Have you done it?
Speaker 2: That's interesting. So it was a very deliberate choice for your part. I'm not going to be doing have you done? Have you thought about it?
Speaker 4: And sometimes I got to the end of the conversation and I almost had to physically stitch my lips closed. And then what I might do is just a quick follow up text, don't forget to blah blah blah. But after we'd had a nice conversation, you did.
Speaker 6: Such a good job, and that that was horrid was it was very hard for me.
Speaker 2: But that's a really good piece of advice.
Speaker 4: I've told the psychologist all about it.
Speaker 5: Does she get right I've got a gold start.
Speaker 6: You did.
Speaker 2: That's hard, it's really but I can entirely see how that because when I think about when we think about our own relationships with our parents perhaps and how freeing it felt to not have that constant surveillance. Yeah, you want if you want to be letting out the rope and for them to come back. It can't feel like they're constantly just going to be going. You haven't got your hair?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: What when was the last time you watched?
Speaker 5: Had you paid that parking five?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Tell me, Anita, how you're finding face family life.
Speaker 6: My sons are both in their early thirties. One is in Sydney here, the older one, and the younger one is in Vancouver.
Speaker 2: Did they both come with you when you Okay?
Speaker 6: So they were they were fourteen fifteen. Yeah, there were teenagers when we came over. And my older son has stayed in Sydney, but my younger son moved to Barthurst to go and do a degree at the same Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and he was.
Speaker 4: He became sort of an emergency paramedic who now works in all kinds of tricky places.
Speaker 5: I took rather different routs.
Speaker 4: Both very important life an emergency with a time call if anyone needs one.
Speaker 6: So yeah, so so so my son went, and my younger one moved when he was eighteen to Bathurst and then immediately after his degree, moved to London and was a paramedic there right through the pandemic, right through everything, and then has just recently moved to Vancouver. And so it's you know, he went away early, and we had to kind of negotiate what that looked like. And I was thinking about what we were, you know, talking about them going away and wanting.
Speaker 1: That whiff of them. And he gets me.
Speaker 6: Now when we were leaving to come back to Sydney, you know, we were at the area port and and you know, I look at him and you know, give the great big hug, and I'm like trying to hold it together. And then you know, he hugs my husband and then he looks at me and he goes, you get one more and gives me another one, and it just you know, it's it's everything I need. And and so it's it's they do come back, and they come back as these amazing human beings that you've raised, and it's it is a different relationship.
Speaker 1: It is a I love.
Speaker 6: I love my sons, and I love that they are very different from each other, just kind of like Liam and Jack are, and that they are creating these very different, very amazing lives for themselves.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's it's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: And and and as you said, I'm now a grandma and I get to go and is the grand is that? Is that your Sydney son or my Sydney son? So I yeah, so he's he's local. So I get to go and and take care of him. And and you know, a little Logan and he's like a year and a half now, and he's just a bundle of joy.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 6: I did not think I could lose my mind again like this, And I have everybody.
Speaker 2: Says Mia, who obviously we're exactly the same age. But I had my kids late in Burner Commons, and so she's granny now my kids are still kids, and she's just besotted.
Speaker 5: That's exactly the word I use A lot of us used to talk about.
Speaker 4: I think it's when you become a grandparent when your kids are older, you think, was I present enough?
Speaker 5: Because when you're in the midst of it.
Speaker 4: And you're raising a child and you're trying to keep them alive and stop them putting a cigarette butt in their mouths that they found at the beach, and all of that stuff.
Speaker 5: You don't have time to just look at them and breathe.
Speaker 4: And as grand and as a parent of teenage, you think, why didn't I make more of those years when I held their hands? And when I go to the South Coast, I think, oh, we couldn't have afforded to buy a holiday house then, and they had weekend football. But I thought, well, I wish I could. I wish I had one day where there were toddlers again. Their lands makest want to cry. But it's only when you get older and become like a grandparent you can actually give the time to just seeing and being and smelling without the anxiety of it. So we judge ourselves, I think, for not being present enough, but how could we be?
Speaker 1: But it's the I was going. I was building forts the other day with.
Speaker 6: With little Logan, and you know, he was giggling, I was giggling and I and I just stopped in the middle of it and just kind of recognized this is this is that moment where I get to just spend it and and I don't have to worry about, you know, washing his clothes or doing anything.
Speaker 1: I just get to go and spend some time with him.
Speaker 2: Recognizing those moments is one of the gifts of being a bit older and wiser, I think, don't you. I heard you say this, Amanda on your show when you're talking about the holiday you've just taken with your boys. You're getting drunk with them in a.
Speaker 6: Bar and.
Speaker 5: Dreadful thing to do.
Speaker 2: And he said it was like this bubble you knew, you knew in the moment, like this is one of those times.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I think that's really what life is, and that's all we're entitled to, that whole. Anita and I talk a lot about this, of the nature of happiness and putting up signs saying happiness in your house and all of that, and putting out manifestations. It's not the human condition to be happy all the time, but to recognize them when they come along is the gift.
Speaker 6: I think, and enjoy you just you can. You can try to grasp it, but it's so ephemeral. It's just it comes and it goes whenever it wants.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure that, look, I'm going to try and land the plane really neatly here regard looking at the dismountain, because I'm going to say that I'm sure that the two of you get a lot of those happiness bubble moments together, right Like you a very good friend, someone who will figuratively and literally hold your hand through all the shit and all the happy moments is a very special thing to have, right So I'm sure you too sometimes are in that bubble too, absolutely.
Speaker 6: And I think that's why we have the glimmers, you know, instead of the triggers.
Speaker 2: I need to talk to you about the glimmers because I love that part of your show. You end it with a glimmer. And I have a very good friend who has been going through some very difficult health stuff, and we don't live in the same place, and every day we send each other a photograph glimmer of the one thing in our day that made us I love like happy. So it might be a particularly good cup of tea, or it might be an amazing thing that happened at work, or it might be a flower.
Speaker 1: Or the kid I had a good hair day.
Speaker 2: A glimmer a day, I believe keeps.
Speaker 5: It's funny how hard I find it to find them.
Speaker 4: My natural humor goes to not sarcasm, but finding something like if something terrible happens, to turn it into a joke. But I find it hard to look for the natural happiness in things though, I think, as you said, an needier. I think I'm an optimistic person, but I sometimes have to turn turn an a caustic joke into something uplifting, which isn't my nature.
Speaker 2: Well that's but also the humor is a survival I mean if you can't laugh, and also that's something you can also do with someone you're really intimate with, is laugh about the difficult health things or the things they don't on your house that you couldn't joke with about.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely. That is my complete survival mechanism. And I've talked that to my children, particularly my younger son when things are going skew with because he wants to do a bit of stand up, I said, just store it up, to turn it into a joke before anyone else can. That's kind of save yourself. Is kind of the lesson I've told him along the way is make you make the joke about yourself before anyone else can.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: For my pleasure sharing.
Speaker 2: Letting me be the third wheel in this.
Speaker 5: Please, I've kind of enjoyed Algogo mobile.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I didn't quite make myself the third wheel in that glorious friendship duo, but you can tell how hard I tried. I was really angling from an invite to dinner. It was a bit embarrassing for everyone, really, but I just loved that conversation. And if you have a friendship like Amanda and Anita's, send this episode to your best friend. Tell them that you love them and tell them that they're a scrag. And if you want to hear more from these two together, go and check out Double a Chattery. That's their podcast and there's a link to it in the show notes. And Amanda is hosting a new TV show on the ABC about families. It's called the Role of a Lifetime and you can have a nosey at that too. And if you're just discovering mid thanks to Amanda and Anita, welcome. If you want to hear more conversations that will lift you up rather than push you down, may I recommend you scroll back in our feed to hear Casey Chambers talking keeping her dickhead list Bruna Papenrea on Ambition, Gina Chick on Truth, and one of my all time favorites, Virginia Trioli on small Joys, which we all need lots of right now. A massive thanks to our mid team, our executive producer i am A Brown, our senior producer Grace Ruvre, our producer Charlie Blackman, and we've had audio production from Jacob Round. They are all such talented people who help us bring you your show. And if you haven't had enough of me yet, I can't imagine that. Follow me on Instagram, or sign up for my newsletter, or listen to me and my great mates Mia Friedman and Jesse Stevens talk about fifteen thousand times a week on Mom and Me Are Out Loud. Is that an exaggeration maybe? But links to all that are in our show notes and I'll see you back here next week. Bye,