Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Jemma Bath, host of True Crime Conversations, and I'm dropping in your ears with an update on a case we covered almost a year ago, exactly the Idaho Four, the murders of four young college students in their sharehouse in November twenty twenty two. Kaylee Gonzalvez, Madison Mogan, Xanakernodle, and her boyfriend Ethan Chapin were stabbed multiple times and found in two separate bedrooms of their three story rental. Two other roommates, Styllan Mortensen and Bethany Funk, were home during the attacks and left unharmed. The killings set off a nationwide manhunt, including an elaborate effort to track a white sedan spotted on CCTV repeatedly driving past the house. Seven weeks later, Brian Coburger, a criminal justice graduate at the nearby Washington State University, was arrested and charged. He took a plea deal and was given four life sentences without the possibility of parole. If he'd gone to trial, the death penalty would have been on the table. Now he's back in our headlines. He's trying to get his case revisited. We've invited Vicky Ward, author of The Idaho Four, an American tragedy, back on the show to explain exactly what's happening. VICKI, thanks for coming back on. We last spoke to you in August twenty twenty five. So around the time of the sentencing of Brian Coburger, did you think that that was case closed? Are you surprised to see he is pursuing another legal avenue.
Speaker 2: I'm not really.
Speaker 3: I mean I think that you know, it's funny timing doing this, right, because we have just put out the paperback version of The Idaho Four, in which there is a whole new ending which I wrote that really covers the events of last summer after Brian Coburger quite suddenly made that gil plea, and the extra section at the end talks about how the four victims' families were very divided about sort of the prosecution's rush, as some of them saw it.
Speaker 1: To.
Speaker 3: Accept that plea, because the Gonzalves family, for one, really wanted Brian Coburger to stand there in a court of law and explain to the world what he'd done and most of all why, and they felt that the guilty plea really robbed them of answers, and that they were then now left with this appalling tragedy, the loss of Kaylee Gonzalves, and really not understanding why she'd been taken from them, and not really having any closure as to what the last few minutes of life were like.
Speaker 2: I also.
Speaker 3: Think, you know, it's important to remember that part of their objections weren't.
Speaker 2: Just about that.
Speaker 3: They were about the very fact that they were afraid that Coburger would try to pervert the sentence, that he would find some way to try to appeal, that he would from jail teach other people inside the prison sort of tell them what he'd done, kind of mentor other criminals, if you will, That he would try to capitalize on the infamy of this case. I mean, it was a hugely famous case in the US, and that he would perhaps try to sell his story for money. He'd sit down with one of his former prosecutors and sorry, one of his former profecers, it's time.
Speaker 2: It's late here in New York. And so they they were really.
Speaker 3: Worried that this was you know, that what happened was not closure, It was not closure for them, and that and that somehow he would try to control the narrative. And so, you know, I talk about how in the book when his sentencing came and the Gonzalves family showed up, not every family showed up for that that the Chapin family, the family of Ethan Chapin chose, you know.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 3: They attended court for when they heard Brian Coburger say guilty, But as far as they were concerned, that was the end of it. They you know, their their view was that they wanted to cope with all of this by focusing on the living, by focusing on Ethan's triplet brother and sister, Maisie and Hunter. But the Gonzalves family wanted to go to the sentencing and they wanted to face Coburger, which was kind of actually directly against the court protocol. They wanted to talk to him and it was their way, and they wanted to tell him how they felt, in particular Olivia gones out as Katie's older sister, and that was their way of taking back control of the narrative from him.
Speaker 2: They had a really frustrating.
Speaker 3: Three years in which they felt the prosecutors hadn't shared everything that they knew in order to protect the investigation and to protect sort of the trial, you know, because the last thing you want in a case like this is for there to be any reason for someone who goes to trial to appeal. And so the prosecutor really hadn't shared an awful lot of what happened with the victims' families, and as a result, I think they felt very much a loss of control. I mean, I was quite horrified. As a journalist who never really covered a true crime before, I was stunned to learn actually how little agency murder victims families.
Speaker 2: Have in the US.
Speaker 1: It's horrible. It happens here too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a flaw in the system.
Speaker 3: And so they, you know, so they they and they were worried that by not having this trial, by accepting Coburger's guilty plea, that they were still giving him control of the narrative in some way. So they, you know, that's why. I mean, Olivia Gonzalvez is her quote unquote victim impact statement was one of the most powerful, stunning things I've ever seen. And in the book This New Ending, we you know, take you into her thought processes and her nerves and all the decisions that went into to making that and delivering it. But there was always this fear that Coburger would put a stunt like the one he's just pulled to try to take back the control of the narrative.
Speaker 1: In terms of the options available to him. Though, because he took a plea deal, is it that he couldn't do a normal appeal And that's why he's gone for this. I believe it's called a called a post conviction relief.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly why. I mean.
Speaker 3: I spoke to Steve Gonzalbas and I spoke to James Fry, the former police chief involved. Neither of them were surprised that this has happened. But yeah, it is important that there is this distinction. He can't appeal, but he can claim that he didn't have a proper defense. You know, that is a legitimate you know, he can do that. Having said all of that, I mean, I believe that and Taylor, his public defender, spent about five million dollars of US taxpayer money on Brian Coburger's defense. It was considerably more than the prosecution team spent. And so, I mean, the general expectation here is that a judge will just knock this down straight away. And you know that Brian Coburger has you know, doesn't like being in prison. He's a very anti social person as we know. I mean, he's a you know, strange, strange guy. I'm sure he doesn't like the scenery. But as James Fry, former police chief, said to me, well, you know, he should have thought about that before he went out and killed four people in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's used some pretty strong language. You know that he was convinced to falsely confess he received ineffective counsel. It has already been two weeks at the time we're talking. So do you think the chances of it just being thrown out are getting further and further away, that this actually will go through the courts again? And what would that look like.
Speaker 3: If this were to go through the courts again? I think the loss of trust and faith in the US justice system by the American public would be at an all time high. It would be astonishing. I would be absolutely shocked. I'm not shocked by the way that Brian Coberger is articulate and you know and smart.
Speaker 2: I mean, we know this about him.
Speaker 3: This is a guy who came from abject poverty, overcame a heroin addiction to wind up in a criminology PhD program in a really good school. I mean, the guy is very smart, so that doesn't surprise me. And I'm not shocked that it's taken two weeks because again, and you know, the legal system had you know, has rolls carefully. You know, if they're too quick to bat this down, that could open yet another door. You know, I'm in the middle of writing a new book which about there's another huge case going on here, Luigi Mangoni, who allegedly murdered the CEO of United Health Group, their healthcare rather Brian Thompson.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on in that trial. And the moral that.
Speaker 3: I covered these stories, you know, you learn that for all its flaws, there is a careful method to the way that the US justice system rolls, and you have to be super careful to protect that process or that would hand the advantage.
Speaker 2: To someone like Brian Coburger.
Speaker 3: Frankly, they've got to take their time and look at what he's saying and otherwise otherwise it you know, actually that that could that could be to his advantage. But I would be shocked if a judge doesn't just say sorry, no, and when you know the idea that he wasn't he didn't understand when he was asked again and again and again in that courtroom.
Speaker 2: By the judge.
Speaker 3: You know, have you been coerced or told to say that you've done this? Are you making that? Are you saying guilty of your own free volition? I mean, this is precisely why the judge goes through all of this in open court. In Coburger's case, it was televised to the country. I remember watching it. I was on a plane, And you know that's exactly why, so that he can't come up out a year later and come up with this furious claim.
Speaker 1: Well, as you mentioned, he's a criminology student. Yeah, so he knows this stuff.
Speaker 2: In and out right.
Speaker 1: If it was to go through the courts, obviously we're hoping that doesn't happen. But doesn't that open him up again to the death penalty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, which I guess.
Speaker 1: Would please some of the families who don't think justice was had here. But you know, we'd have to go through all of this again.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I mean.
Speaker 3: The last I spose I spoke to Steve Gonzalves last week and he was not spiraling. He was not going where you.
Speaker 2: Are right now?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay? He you know, what he said.
Speaker 3: To me is that, you know, he takes no pleasure in being right. In other words, he warned some of the other families. You know, I mean, Kaylee Gonzalvez was best friends with Maddie Morgan, and I think at the.
Speaker 2: Time, ADDIE's parents.
Speaker 3: Had wanted to take the plea deal, and Steve had voiced his concerns and they but they you know, you know, they had sort of gone along with it. So had Xana's parents, the Kernodles, and and so when they heard the news of you know, Brian's interview quote unquote with the New York Times, they were very upset and sort of said to Steve Gonzabaz, we should have listened to you. And he took no pleasure in that scenario at all. But I also think he's he's not sitting there thinking, well, now we may get the trial that I wanted a year ago. I don't think that's not where he is, or it wasn't when we last spoke. He was like, this is this is ridiculous. This is what I was afraid of. But he did believe that a judge would knock it down.
Speaker 1: Why do you think Coburger is doing this now? It's very interesting timing because we've just had a Netflix documentary come out, you know that's very based on the victims and the families, as it should be. He is a kind of subplot. Am I being a bit too conspiratorial here?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Could it be related to the attention the families are getting?
Speaker 3: You know, this is a guy, you know, based on my reporting and what I say in the Idaho for he's a narcissist, right, He's a He's an arrogant narcissist who almost got away with this, right. I mean they never found the murder weapon. I mean that you know that, you know, if were it not for technological advances and the fact that now you know the use of genealogical websites in the very clever way they could they could take that speck of DNA on the knife sheath that he met, you know, his one mistake that he left behind, and then go and very carefully put together family trees from you know, people like you and me who do ancestry and me or you know those dnaes and you know the way they.
Speaker 2: Finally got him.
Speaker 3: You know, if this crime had happened ten years ago, they wouldn't have been able to do that, most likely.
Speaker 2: But no, this is a guy.
Speaker 3: This guy is a loner who spent his life, you know, in his parents' basement in Pennsylvania. You know, he didn't have friends, he didn't have suddenly didn't have girlfriends, and suddenly he gets all this attention, and then you've got to imagine, and he gets all this attention, and then now it's been.
Speaker 2: A year that he's been in a jail, he's you.
Speaker 3: Know, we know he's vegan, doesn't like the you know, they can't be there can't be much about the setting that he's in that he is happy about. And so yeah, I'm not at all surprised. I mean, I'm sure I hate to say this because it's not helpful for the victims, for the victims' families, but it probably isn't the last we've heard from him.
Speaker 1: Great. I do want to remind listeners that the evidence against him was pretty damning. You've just mentioned the DNA he was spotted in the like, they traced the car that was circling the area to him, and they traced the phone that he was using. So it wasn't like it was just one piece of evidence, was there.
Speaker 3: It was exactly it was, it was, it was all, it was all three it was. It was the trifactor, and the DNA was the most pivotal bit because once they got the DNA match, then they could go back and look at the video footage and find the see the car clearly for the first time, because remember he changed the license plates, but they could then clearly see that, and then they could go to the DMV and then see that he had changed the license plates. And yes, you're right, the phone, the cell phone pings. But at the same time, if you didn't have the DNA, you know, a decent lawyer could probably have found holes with the other two things, because there was you know, his car was immaculate and clean. There was and you know, they never found any clothes with blood on them. You know, they never found the murder weapons, so they were you know, you know he you know, you could tell that this was a guy who had studied how to commit murder.
Speaker 1: And the big elephant in the room has always been the motive, hasn't it. Do you a year on have a clear understanding of what you think the motive was, or is it still confusing?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like, you know, what I wrote in the book still really is the best, is the closest, and I still, as far as I know, it's what the families, the friends of the victims all still believed that everything points to the fact that he was targeting Maddie Morgan and tragically, you know, tragically, not only was she at home, you know, in bed, but there, you know, unexpectedly was Kaylee visiting for the weekend.
Speaker 2: Kaylee had already left.
Speaker 3: The house and moved out, and you know, clearly Xanna was awake on the floor below and moving around and heard something, which is why when he came down the stairs he got into a tussle. I mean, Xana, we know, fought back really bravely, and poor Ethan was lying in the bed, he was asleep behind her, and you know, so it's just a horrendous case of sort of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And then you know, as we know, Dylan was one floor down from all that, but she, you know, she was able to lock her door, and you know, which is why one assumes he moved on past her.
Speaker 1: Obviously, we've got to wait to see what the judge says. You've mentioned your conversations with Steve. Have you Have you managed to talk to any of the other families about how they're feeling right now?
Speaker 3: Do you know? I haven't, and partly actually out of respect. I mean, I got to know Stacy Chapin very very well, and I have to believe that she's rolling her eyes, and you know, she's.
Speaker 2: An extraordinary woman.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, one of the other things I really learned when reporting this book was that when something like this happens to you, to someone close to you, we all react in very very different ways, and there's.
Speaker 2: No right and no wrong.
Speaker 3: And so the Gonzalves family, I think, really felt that they were going to fight.
Speaker 2: They were going to fight. They weren't going to take.
Speaker 3: The prosecutors kind of not telling them all the things they wanted to know.
Speaker 2: They were going to.
Speaker 3: Pursue get answers because they felt that that's what Kaylee would have wanted them to do.
Speaker 2: Stacy Chapin is.
Speaker 3: A former school principal, and her view was that she could do nothing to bring Ethan back, and that she needed that his brother and sister and his close close friends Emily Allen and Hunter Johnson, the young couple who found went into that house on that awful morning and found. I mean, you can't imagine the.
Speaker 1: Trauma of young adults to think how that will be shaping their lives.
Speaker 2: And so stay.
Speaker 3: Stacey Jabins sort of took the view that her job was to protect the living.
Speaker 2: Was that you know that you that the.
Speaker 3: You know that that was just her view, and she she has been extraordinary in that regard, and I know that, you know, I didn't want to actually, you know, it's funny being a journalist in this situation. I don't want to compound people's suffering. And I knew I know Stacy Chaffin well enough to know to know what she thinks. And it's the last thing she needs as a phone call from me saying how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: Well? How are you feeling?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Are you going to be watching through one eye open?
Speaker 2: One eye open? You know I very much Stay. I mean this is going to sound a strange thing. This was a.
Speaker 3: Terrible story and a terrible tragedy, and reporting it was difficult and obviously incredibly sad, but at the same time, I saw the best of humanity and that was a really heartwarming thing to see. And the bond with the Chapins and the bond with the gonzalvaz Is that I formed, and the bond with Emily and Hunter and some of the four victims friends was very special. And so I really enjoy the positives that have come out of this as strangers that may sound. Hunter Johnson and Emily alone recently got married and that was a truly wonderful thing to see on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I sent them a note.
Speaker 3: I was very proud of them because to have come through everything they came through.
Speaker 2: I mean, this.
Speaker 3: Event completely derailed their lives as you would imagine. I mean, imagine being a senior in college and this going down.
Speaker 2: I mean, the last thing in.
Speaker 3: The world you're going to be able to do is focus on your studies. And on top of all of this, you know, one of the themes in the book is how difficult the world of social media now is for people around a crime like this, because all the true crime sluths have theories, and all the tribe true crime slus start point fingers at innocent people, and so Emily and Hunter, yeah, I got singled out and got trolled, and that their lives were utterly so and they were afraid. So they were dealing with the awful trauma of being in that house the morning after the murders. They were dealing with the fear that whoever did this might be coming for them, and then they were dealing with the trolling of all these people online who thought they were the murderer.
Speaker 2: And imagine what that would do to you.
Speaker 3: So the positive for this was that I got to see some remarkable people who went through what I hope is the only nightmare, real nightmare that they have to experience in their lives. And I got to see the best of humanity, the warmth and the kindness, and a lot of the people in the town of Moscow, Idaho were incredibly welcoming to me, and I'm an outsider. It's a really small town, and they really opened their hearts and their hospitality, and.
Speaker 2: I hope all that is really captured in the book.
Speaker 1: Actually, and I like ending here because I'd like to think that Coburger would hate that we're focusing on all of this and all the negatives and all of the love that's come from it. So let's leave it there and let's yeah, look with one eye open. Hopefully, hopefully we don't have to go through a whole nother court process. Thank you so much for joining us, Vicky, We really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Vicky for joining us on this update. Make sure you're following our show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify for updates on this story and all the stories we cover. Thanks so much for listening. I'll be back later this week with another true crime conversation