Speaker 1: From Mum and Mia. Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodnick.
Speaker 2: And I'm Tina provis and coming up on.
Speaker 1: The show today. Lots to discuss. First of all, there has been a dramatic development in the Suddenly thirty reboot movie and I've got to say, like I don't often do this, but when I saw those photos very early this morning.
Speaker 2: I literally gasped, Yeah, a poserving.
Speaker 1: A plot twist has occurred. We're going to get into that. Plus married at first sight, there was one golden couple that came out of the show this year and they have had a very dramatic and apparently blind siding breakup, So we're going to get into that. So behind the scenes stuff. Also what goes into breaking out with someone that you've very publicly fallen in love with on TV because there's mechanics to it. Yes, But first, another outrage this morning, so I'm really highly strung this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot going on. There's a lot to unpack.
Speaker 3: So justice has been served for specifically Ryan Gosling. After years of being haunted in his words, by the La La Land movie poster, Lionsgate has now unveiled in celebration of the tenure anniversary, a new refreshed poster which has one small, tiny change to his hand placement. So the original poster so iconic as you would remember. It features Emma Stone in her role as Mia and Ryan Gosling as Sebastian, and the pair dancing.
Speaker 2: Their arms are like.
Speaker 3: Outstretched, and we see that Ryan has a bit of pizzaz in his hand. It's slightly faced downwards. But for years he's been like ruminating over that decision. Back in twenty twenty four, Ryan was asked by Wall Street Journal what is the one role that he would like to do over, to which he said, La La Land, which is a big call for a beloved movie like that, and the reason being that he is haunted by one moment, in particular with his decision to point his hand downwards, which is of course what's captured in the poster, because they were like dancing, having their moment, and they didn't actually know that that was what was going to be the image that was plastered all over the posters.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it went on to be not just the poster, but the kind of iconic imagery and photo that was used with that movie, which became like this huge sensation, nominated for all these Oscars and a stone one Best Actress, which ten years looking back, I don't think this is a controversial take, and I think she would probably agree she didn't deserve the Oscar for that. She deserved the Oscar the last two times she woned. I really believe that. But that one it was just like, here's a pretty girl singing a nice song. And I say that as someone who loves musicals and I really liked Lala Lan. I still listen to the songs quite a bit. Yeah, they're my favorite, like house cleaning, walking rotations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think They've got this visual in my mind now.
Speaker 1: Me picking up the mop and then having to like stop because I'm TVZ trying to recreate the dance on the Girl where she takes her heels off and puts her flats onto iconic. But yes, Ryan Gosling always tells this story with like a very haunted, haunted look comes into his eye. His voice gets lower, and he talks at the fact they were filming on that iconic hilltop moment overlooking La they were losing the light huge in filmmaking, like they had this one moment to get the perfect light, and he thought it would be kind of funny or interesting to like put his hand up and like then and like do a very dramatic wrist drop, like to make her.
Speaker 2: The only way to describe yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean we're both doing it on the camera. I don't even know how to possibly describe it to the audio is like, yeah, like a hand up and then a sudden wrist drop. And that went on to be the poster and he's always hated it. And so as you say they've changed it, what do you think about that?
Speaker 3: You know, I just feel like, as one of the world's most beautiful men, I don't really think he understands having a bad photo, Like if that is his qualm, then you've never had a bad photo.
Speaker 2: Like does Ryan Gosling have a bad angle?
Speaker 1: I don't even think it's bad from what he's saying. It's just that it's not the creative choice he would have made to be the main image from the movie, because he was like, why you tell something. I was like, you just try something new for a moment and afterwards you're like, why did I do that?
Speaker 3: And they would have done it, Like I wonder if he kept doing that in the dance, because I'm sure they shot that.
Speaker 1: No, he did it. He did it in that moment. He says he did it in that moment and he was just like, oh, kind of try this. I don't know why I did it, And then that became the main age and he didn't do it in all the other takes. It's kind of like if you decide to like, oh, we're taking this big photo, like I'm going to decide to like not smile with my teeth this time, and after like why did I do that? I never get it?
Speaker 3: And that's always the one that like the groups like let's yeah.
Speaker 1: All that becomes the photo, or you try something with your hair on photo day and afterwards you're like why did I? I never do a side part like that? Why would I do it? So I can't I understand. But also I must say I am outraged by this. Oh I am outraged by the poster for Lala Lamb being changed to accommodate Ryan Gosling's feelings, because you can't change iconic cinema imagery like that, like it so baby, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: I tried to see if this has happened before, and I couldn't see too many other examples, and just like.
Speaker 1: That, so better or for worse, that is the Lala Lamb poster. That is it. You can't go in and erase history like that, just because he's having a little bitch fit on the side about not liking the placement of his hand, bitch fit for ten years crazy to get it. Also, no one else would have picked up on how weird the hand does look a bit weird because he doesn't do it anywhere else.
Speaker 2: I'd never noticed it until.
Speaker 1: Exactly it's the Barbara streisand effect. Do you know how like she tried to petition to get her house not like publicly listed, and because she did that, no one knew it was like being photographed and shared publicly, and then everyone went to look at it. That's what he did, yea Barbara Stris and his hand by saying, Hey, my hand looks really weird and I'm really so conscious about it, and everyone's like, we literally never noticed that. We just thought you were hot and dancing in that movie. And I just think that this is setting a dangerous precedent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't be recut.
Speaker 1: Everything is already fake everyone's got a fake face. Everyone's got fake teeth, fake hair, fake eyes. Everything's like now we're even going and erasing something like sometimes a mistake makes the best totally. Like it's like when Marilyn Munroe accidentally walked over that hot event and her dress blow amazing. Can you imagine if she'd gone back and said, see, I hate like the dresses scrunching into my hand there, can you redo it? And like you lose that iconic photo. So Ryan Gosling, you're on notice for you grow up. Yeah, get over it. You can't change history like that. Okay, before we get into our next like that, Tina, have you done our monthly spill quiz? Anyone doesn't know we have a spill quiz now. It's all questions based around topics from the podcast, and then once a month it grows up and you can go through and like prove how smart you are to be.
Speaker 2: Meaning to do it. So I'm being like publicly shamed right now.
Speaker 1: And you've got the Hey, you've got you had some time to date. It's either you do it and you get some questions wrong and then you kind of learn about pop culture, or you do it and you get every question right and you get to feel like the smartest person in the room.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: True, And then once I get everything wrong, I'll then know the answers that I can do it again and feel smartest.
Speaker 1: So you know, I mean that is cheating, but there's no hate. You can do that quiz as many times as you there's no rule. Actually, wait, we've got a test question our producer. Our producer has picked out a question from the quick So give you a little tast okay question. What is Romeo Beckham's new tennis romance film called Wait? I give you options. I give you options because we did options on the quiz. Yeah we did, okay, we did this care Oh great, well, ultra embarrassing. Then if you don't know, okay, the options are love deuce. Is that you say it douce?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It is caught a fair forty love love all. There's four love yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, if I didn't get that. Also, the other ones were just all slightly wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're all just little something a little bit weird about them. So we will link the quiz in the show notes. If anyone hasn't done it yet. It's a bit of a fun time, okay, onto something that outraged me this morning, and I must say it like I get outright, Yeah, yeah, I know. Ryan Gosling's on my list, and now the cast of Suddenly thirty is also on my list. I must say, I get outraged pretty quickly, so it's nothing to write home. So we already that a reboot of the classic early two thousand's rom com Suddenly thirty or thirteen going on thirty if you're in the United States, and if you're trees, Yeah, it's so weird because every outlet, obviously who's reporting on this is Americans. They say thirteen going on thirty and you have to be like, no, it's cattue, right, But let's never do that again, give movies different names in different countries, because it's upsetting for everyone. So we already knew that the iconic movie was getting a reboot, and it was starring Emily Beta and Logan Lehrman. Great. I love both those actors. I wish Emily Beta was not available because she was filming My Lady Jane's Season two, but that show got canceled. If anyone had to watch it, it's amazing. So every time I see her in something else is like a little knife to my heartache outrage. Okay, but anyway, that's neither here nor that. So previously, when this was announced by Netflix with a Netflix movie, which also gives me pause. Yeah, I just feel like, well, the thing is, I can't do a big theatrical release for a remake of a movie, so actually does need to be on Netflix.
Speaker 2: I mean they did Devil Was.
Speaker 1: No No, but that was a sequel to the origin. This is just a retread of the story with younger HoTT people. That does give Netflix not hot I mean hotter, now you know what I mean. Anyway, So Jennifer Gannah was also on board as an executive producer, and I was like, you know what, let it, let it, let it happen. If it needs to happen, everyone will watch it when it comes on Netflix. Those actors are nice, Jennifer Garner is involved, That'll be fine. And then about a week or so ago, she was doing an interview with Variety because she's also in that new show Five Star Weekends. She's doing a lot of press at the moment, and she was talking about the production of thirteen going and she was, oh, she was talking about the articles that I had to do research. Like I know, she was talking about production on I was about to come it and you kept going She's like, now, I'm not letting that one fly, but that's going to air for the people to hear. She was doing it talking about going to the set of Suddenly thirty, and she said she was like being all choy with the reporter and being like, Oh, I'm going to the set. I'm seeing how things are going. Maybe I'll sneak into a background shot. Maybe I'll sort of be able to walk through a scene, like I'll see if they'll like let me be in the background. Everyone's like, haha, classic Jennifer Garner being all Cutesye anyway, liar, because she's not in the background of a shot. She has been filmed and the folk they were papped. Obviously they're filming on a street corner, so they've been papped. Photos came out this morning showing Jennifer Gana in the new Suddenly thirty movie Oh My Rest as her character Jenna rink.
Speaker 2: I will pass away.
Speaker 1: She is reprising her character in that movie, but I guess she can't completely reprise it because Emily Bate is playing that character. But she's playing something to do. She's playing like something to do with that character. And Judy Grier amazing played her best friend in the original Suddenly thirty movie, best friend Fredimie and then enemy Actually journey is how that goes. Judy Greer, who's also in her new show five Star Weekend, because since they started Suddenly thirty together, they are still best friends. Love that is on the set dressed as her character Tom Tom, and they're walking out of shops and they're talking and they're both in full character.
Speaker 2: Their outfits are great as well.
Speaker 1: The outfits are soft.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: What does it mean?
Speaker 3: I need to know what it means because I would love to just have some reassurance that we're going to get a little bit of an insight into like what happened with their lives after the first film.
Speaker 1: Well but potentially yes, but I don't think that can happen because she can't be they can't be playing those characters because the shot again, we don't know. They haven't released the full plot. So if anyone hasn't seen Suddenly thirty, I mean, first of all, what the hell are you doing with your life? But Jennifer Gana so like a younger actress Christa Allen actually, who played Jennifer Ganah a few different times as a younger version of herself because they look identical. She's in high school, she's turned thirteen, and she's at this party with the Cairls and they kind of make fun of her and she wants to be thirty. Classic this is the first time as a teen. Everyone's like, oh my god, it's thirty not old. Is thirty fun?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And let me tell you, thirties are great. Okay, They're exactly what the movie promise.
Speaker 2: I'm just in my thirties now, so yeah, but don't.
Speaker 1: You think it's what the movie promise. You have a fun apartment, you live in the city, you go out, you have great clothes.
Speaker 3: I would love to be thirteen though, really yeah, way, yeah, no way.
Speaker 1: Thirties are way better than thirteen, can I just isn't everything you wanted as a thirteen year old you have as a thirty year old now? So that's how I feel.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, I don't have funny.
Speaker 1: I wish I had my own apartment and I could go out whenever I wanted and do whatever I want, And I wish I had heaps of beautiful clothes and like cool friends, and guess what you have all those things.
Speaker 3: I just forgot it comes with, like expenses and responsibility.
Speaker 1: There is that you gotta.
Speaker 2: Forget about that.
Speaker 1: I think about my thirteen self a lot when I'm like getting dressed to go to events or something, because that's the thing you have that Oh I'm so tired, and you're like, you know, I've got to do it For thirteen year old me, she would be so thrilled about, like, yeah, waking up in her pretty apartment, going to do a podcast, wearing her pretty clothes, going with her friends, like it's all we want. It's all we wanted as a kid.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: So you got to remember that when you felt tired. Okay, yes, so the point of the movie. Yes, so she wants to be thirty, and then, through some fairy dust magic, don't question it, she wakes up in Jennifer Ganna's body, and she is thirty, and she is an editor at her favorite magazine, Poise, and she has a gorgeous apartment. She has heaps of clothes, she has a hot boyfriend. But as you were saying, it's also not what she pitched it to be because below the surface, her adult life is a bit of a mess. It's also why so many girls went into media, because.
Speaker 3: We watched just thinking that, like all these shows, Really I thought I was going to be having a pent house apartment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's the thing I think. Rom Coms they didn't lie to us about love. They lied to us about real estate. Yeah, because yes, we have pretty apartments now, but they're pretty small and they're pretty expensive, and we don't own them because we'll never own them. But apart from that, no, no, yeah, rom coms always made us feel like we'd be living in these huge, like loft apartment totally. So that's a lie. But that's okay, we skim past that. We know now that was fantasy. And so she know she falls in love with her childhood friend Mark Ruffalo, slightly problematic because he's an adult man. They like kind of kiss and then she's thirteen, but they don't have sex.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 1: Maybe the new movie will go there. So no worrying, You look really worried.
Speaker 2: That's concerned.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, so yeah, so Judy Greer and Jennifer Ganna in the new Suddenly thirty movie. True, it's probably just a little background. I think people were very excited because that, like, like you thought, and like I thought for a second, like, oh my god, she's reprising her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I forgot that they were doing it.
Speaker 1: Unless the new character is Emily Beata's character is not like that Jenna Rink.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe not if it's like her daughter, that would annoy me because that just feels like a free Friday kind of thing.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, surely not that would. Netflix is not confirmed this at all. I checked their sight before we came on their official site for the Suddenly thirty slash thirteen going on thirty movie, and they don't list Jennifer Gannah or Judy Greer as cast, so like, obviously this wasn't supposed to get out now big spoiler. I wonder if Emily Beata's character is going to be freaking out on like a shop and she's like, I'm really thirteen and no one believes her, and the camera spins around and it's Jennifer Ghana as Gennerine and she's like I.
Speaker 3: Understand, Oh my god, She's like FLI is listening.
Speaker 1: It happened to me too. You just need to go sit in a the closet and like rock back and forth and like some magical dust will transform you back to a child, and then they both get taken to a sail asylum.
Speaker 2: Oh that is a twist.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what you would take someone who was saying, but cute. So we don't know when the movie's coming out. Actually on the Netflix side, it's like release date much like Poise, like this is going to take a little while, so we can't give you a release day yet, but like stay tuned. So yeah, big day, big emotional day for everyone who loves suddenly thirty. So yesterday were given some not very nice news. No matter what you think of reality TV or the people who were on it, when anyone has a breakup, especially in the public eye and there's like a lot of controversy around it, it's a bad day for them. So in Maths twenty twenty six Married at First Sight Australia, we had one golden couple in the absolute shit show that was this year. I mean Maths is bad every year, but I thought this year, didn't you think? Because you and I talked about.
Speaker 2: It literally every length.
Speaker 1: We had to watch every episode and talk about it for work a lot I've never being so traumatized going on.
Speaker 3: I feel like they were the only strong couple. But it's not the fact that they were the strong they were essentially the only couple too moments.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about Stella and Phillips. So again with a lot of breakups, a lot of very upsetting men that were in the mix, a lot of mean girl behavior but also mean boy behavior. We had this one love story in marrit at First Sight this year, and it was between Stella and Philip, and they loved each other from the moment they met at the first time up at the altar. Out of all all the couples, they had like one of the most romantic sweet honeymoons. Remember all the videos of them in that little bathtub together. Oh God, like they had they had swimmer on bird.
Speaker 3: It was in sight for me. Yet left that one to the imagination.
Speaker 1: Yes, And they went all the way through the experiment very lovey dovey. And then in the final of married at First Sight, when all the couples have their like recommitment ceremony and they get all dressed up in this beautiful location, they walk towards each other and they say if they want to stay together or not. It's like for most people, it's like a bit of a public humiliation ritual. Yeah, yeah, especially for like a beck who's like wearing a full bridal dress stuff and creepy man's just like, Oh, I don't think I like you anymore.
Speaker 2: Get rid of that geezer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, normally going to say his name. I don't want to think about him anymore.
Speaker 2: Because we can't really.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what was his name? Can I We had so much trouble with those I think I actually think trauma was blocking it out for me because all those men on married at first site, they all looked the same me. They all behaved badly and let's not think of them. They deserve to be formoved on anyway. So at the end of the season, Philip and Stella came together at the Sydney Opera House just outside over the Harbor. Beautiful location. They definitely got one of the best locations.
Speaker 2: That's how you know, That's how you know.
Speaker 1: As soon as I saw it, as like production knew this was going to be their big epic moment with like a sweeping camera on a crane, and they it was no surprise when they decided to stay together. But what was a bit of a surprise is that at the end of their recommitment ceremony, Philip dramatically dropped down onto one knee and asked Stella to marry him for real, not even a fake TV wedding, a real wedding.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 1: She said yes, And so they ended the show engaged. And they've been you know, spotted at events and saying, because obviously that was filmed nearly a year ago, think.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So for the last year or so they've been together, they've been to events publicly, they get papped walking out and about, and by all accounts, they were still living in like different cities where they were like planning to she was planning to move to him in Melbourne, and they were all happy and loved up.
Speaker 3: There was even a post on the sixth of July, like there was an Instagram reel which you posted and it had a few like happy clips with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not that long ago.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I don't think it was that long ago, which is we'll get into in the statement. And then this week, I think it was Monday, I started seeing like posts and murmurs and then full on news articles that Stella and Philip had broken up and they had unfollowed each other on Instagram.
Speaker 3: I think she also had this cryptic selfie on the beach and like a big poem underneath it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that look. Everyone's like, is she teasing a breakup kind of thing? Which I don't launching launching a breakup? I think when you're a public eye, you have to meet me sometimes just so it's not such a show. So the last few days we've been kind of watching it and I was like, oh, I don't want to talk about it, and until they actually say they're broken up, because a lot of things could be happening. Maybe they had a little tiff and they unfollowed each other, who would know. But yesterday Stella put out a state confirming not only had they broken up, but she was completely blindsided by it. So she wrote, I never imagined I'd be writing something like this, but I feel it's important to share my truth. Philip ended our relationship. While he has clearly been processing that decision for some time, I genuinely believe we're working towards the same future. I was completely blindsided. And then she went on too because I think maybe this has been a source of contention in the news reports, like she refused to move to him, which is something that does break up a lot of couple's post reality TV. She then said, one thing I do want to clarify is that despite what was showing on the show, I made the decision to move to Melbourne. I own a business that I've spent years building, so it wasn't as simple as packing a suitcase. I needed a few months to wrap things up and leases and put everything in place before relocating. Then she wanted to say, as our relationship grew, I believed moving to Melbourne made the most sense for us. And then she wanted to say, like, it offers family support, and she thought that was the most affordable place them to live their life together. And then she said, I've always been realistic about my biological clock, and starting a family has been something I'd hoped for so long. I genuinely thought we were making these decisions together. This is kind of the crazy part, right She then said, So she's in her head, she's like, I'm moving and we're having kids together soon. Then she said, instead, I received a phone call ending our relationship. I am heartbroken. Deeply sad and if I'm honest, incredibly embarrassed that something I believed in so wholeheartedly didn't work out the way I'd hoped. While I respect that everyone has the right to choose what's best for them, I also think it's important to make sure the facts are clear. And then she just went on to thank people for their kindness and support.
Speaker 2: A phone call, Yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Guess they are in different places, but like ending a relationship where you're about to move in together and have like one of you is like we're having kids together, which is the most permanent thing you could do to anyone on the planet. Getting a phone call is I mean, obviously the thing is, at the time of recording, Philip hasn't posted anything comment and said anything, so we don't know here's side of the story, but Stella's been really clear about her side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think it's also something to note that they haven't posted it at the same time, because there's definitely a bit of a formula when it comes to like posting a breakup for like people who have been on reality TV. As someone who's been on reality TV myself and I like cringe, but I've posted something like this on my stories, but I think.
Speaker 1: No, no, you can't cringe because, like you, when you're in the public eye like that, you have to just anyone who doesn't know tell say what shows you're on and say what happened.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I was on Love Island Australia and I won with my boyfriend.
Speaker 2: At the time, that feels so weird to say.
Speaker 1: Hey, you still won. Yeah, and winning is important.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: My mom's like, why don't you ask him back for the money. I'm like, can't do that, mum, it's gone now. Could you split the prize money? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Anyway, And then I know she is.
Speaker 3: We dated for a couple of months afterwards, and obviously there's such an investment in your relationship off the back of a dating show.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the parasocial relationship.
Speaker 3: That people build because they're kind of on that journey from the start of that like love story, and they come along with you, and your platform at that point is kind of built on that. And I think that's why it's such a shock as well, because up until the point where people post about their breakup, you pretty much look all like rainbows and sunshines up until then, so it's always like a shock when suddenly someone's posted like a black Instagram story frame with like five paragraphs of what on it you.
Speaker 1: Whenever I say something like that, I'm just like, wow, this is you said it because like this is a breakup post. Yeah, And I kind of like a stand why fans get so invested, because like they're watching you on Love Island just as an example, and they're watching you fall in love, and like they're watching other couples like not get there, and they become very invested, Like you become a part of their day. It's justly Love Island because it's so many episodes, like say We're married at first Sight, It's so many episodes. It becomes part of like the fabric of your day. It's what you talk to your friends about. And for a lot of people, like they get emotional about it. Like I know friends who have been like I cried at Love Island. It made me want to get back on a dating app, or it made me want to like break up with my partner because he wasn't treating me right and I'm seeing this other relationship. So like it does like it's a TV show for entertainment, but these shows get under people's skin totally in a very intense way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's funny just with these breakup posts, like I feel like usually they are coordinated with the other person, like unless something awful has happened, and even when something awful does happen, like I think all breakups are awful, and it's never really equal. And I know from my experience, we still had enough of a friendship that we kind of conferred beforehand, Like I knew what he was going to say, and he knew what I was going to say, so we weren't blithsided, and we both posted them at the same time, because I think by doing so, you're like giving respect to the other person to both share your story at the same time. Otherwise, obviously who have a post first usually is on the front foot of like the narrative and.
Speaker 1: Right, So when you posted your like public breakup statement from Love Island, you sat down and wrote what you wanted to say, he wrote what he wanted to say, and then you confer. I think I even edited his great important and then you both post it at the same time. Yes, and that was done because you wanted to control the story but also make sure that people didn't think you were having I.
Speaker 3: Think for me personally, like at that time, I was trying to like preserve what I thought was like a friendship. I don't know if it's the case for everyone, but I assume it is, like you have care for that person, you want to preserve it, and some way I look back now and I'm like, should just go on live with the post?
Speaker 1: Actually go one on live and be like, here's some things to say.
Speaker 3: Because it's not necessarily like genuine. I think it is a bit of like pr And even for people who don't even know that they're like Pring themselves, Like all of the statements are always the same. They always talk about how much they like the relationship usually and how they have respect for the other person, and thank you so much for following our journey. It feels less genuine these days. But what's interesting about Stella's because she's kind of just done this like standalone post, it does feel like it's a little bit more raw and like an insight into what happened, because usually it's very like we've decided to go out other ways and we know.
Speaker 1: It's best for each other, love each other. Yeah, always have this experience it's almost like a temple. I feel like I've never had to post a public breakup statement because I've never been in like a big public relationship. But I haven't found now that I could write one to the exact kind of specifications of a PR breakup because I've consumed so many of them over the years.
Speaker 2: That's why it makes me cringe just because of that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, But I don't think you should cringe over it, because there's certain things to follow to not only preserve what you're saying behind the scenes, and for everyone who says it's just PR, like, you're still human beings at the end of the day, and human beings have emotions, and also you don't want to be going through a breakup and dealing with huge public backlash if the statement release goes wrong.
Speaker 3: Also, I think another reason why people do it, and why people off the back of reality TV shows may need to announce it is because otherwise you're going to be sent photos.
Speaker 2: From people of your ex with other.
Speaker 3: Girls out on the street, like yeah, you're going to get because I started to get things sent to me but we weren't together, like yeah when we actually announced it, because we broke up like a couple weeks prior.
Speaker 2: Then when we were already we like posted the post.
Speaker 1: I've heard on the reality star say that that's why again everything I say comes back to some House my one reality show, because it's interesting when Kyle and Amanda, so they were the big couple that broke up this last season that were part of the scandal. On the last episode of their spin off show In the City, they were talking about the moment they released their breakup statement, and they were talking to each other with their big films, so obviously saying it for the camera, and they were saying, like, we sat together, we wrote the post together at Amanda's like I uploaded it to both of our accounts because she was still looked into his account at the same time, and I pressed send and we held hands and like they were like trying to really be like we sent it together. And then when Paige Desorbo announced her breakup with Craig Conover, because they were both in the Summer House Universe, I remember her saying on her podcast, She's like, he asked me to keep it a secret, and I wanted to keep it a secret, but he's now out there acting like a single man so with other women, which is again fair enough, but she's like, so people are setting me photos of him, and I want to be able to say it's fine, he's single. So I kind of get that there's like a public kind of conversation that you want to control, like any other celebrity wants to control. And I think with Stella this week, like she probably saw the rumors they were breaking up, She saw the fact that they had unfollowed each other, having picked up by media outlets podcast was starting to report on it, and the narrative, as she kind of alludes to in her post, She's like, just to set the record clear, like I was going to move to him to start a family, and maybe she saw the story bubbling up to be oh, but she wouldn't move for him after the show and all those sorts of things, so she wanted to kind of get in and and really kind of control the story. And I guess, like, if you put out a memorable statement, people remember it. Do you remember what you put in yours statement?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I have it here?
Speaker 1: No you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So I actually haven't seen this because you and I didn't know each other. Back then, when was this? What year was this?
Speaker 2: This is twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: So wait, this is your statement from your Love Island brain. Yes, in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: I won't read the whole thing that is longer. It's literally I knew.
Speaker 3: Exactly that I did it on the fifty February, which is the day after Valentine's Day, because I think I had one last brannd deal to post of us together on the Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry, iconic behavior. No, no, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I read one line. I put everything I had into our relationship.
Speaker 3: I wore my heart on my sleeve, and while I'm absolutely shattered, I live with no regrets.
Speaker 2: Regrets regrets.
Speaker 1: What are you spell checking?
Speaker 3: Now? What an incredible and unforgettable journey to share with such a special person.
Speaker 2: I don't know if i'd say that now. Anyway, we live and we learn.
Speaker 1: You should now put out a like I'm going to edit this. I'm going to redact it. I'm going to make some edit, much like Ryan Gosling redoing the poster.
Speaker 3: We could redo your breakup statement. I would love to redo it. That just feels too respectful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that should be something that women alone get to do is that they get to redo their breakup statement a few years afterwards to tell us what really helped.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do that. Everyone's like, get over it.
Speaker 1: What was the thought going through your mind when you post? Were you just like I? Were you alone? Were you with friends? I feel like you'd have to sort of set the scene of how you wanted to be in that moment.
Speaker 3: I think we would have been like in comms, like I would have been on the phone with him, but I drafted mine first, and then he kind of drafted one that was like very similar, and I just remember, like I was so embarrassed at the time because obviously everyone was like rooting for us, like I really liked.
Speaker 1: Because I need to be embarrassed. But I understand, Yeah, sometimes breakups in general or embarrassing. Can I say, especially as you get older, because now people just look at you like, are you sure you're not getting any younger? You're like, oh my god, I know. It's never embarrassing to bring no no, and like way more embarrassing to state in a bad relationship exactly.
Speaker 3: I feel strongly about that now. But I think just like coming off the back of the show and like wanting it to work so bad and like having that pressure. I can understand where Stella in her statement, you know, she said like she feels like a little bit embarrassed by it, but you know that like you shouldn't and there's no reason to.
Speaker 2: But I think that's like where it came from.
Speaker 3: And like I think it was like clear I didn't want to show like how I felt to I don't know how to phrase this. I think in Stella's it's interesting because she makes so clearly that he broke up with her, yes, But in ours it was kind of vague as to who broke up with who I got broken up with to be clear, Oh.
Speaker 1: Did I say that afterwards or is that?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think people like guessed it from the way they were written, like people compared them. But I just like didn't want that to be like too exposed because they felt embarrassing to me.
Speaker 1: Again, I totally get that. Again, there is nothing embarrassing about it, but I understand, Like again for normal people, it's embarrassing not having to tell your friends, especially now because everyone has like if you have social media in any context, you have a reputation to kind of like manage in some respect even if you only have like a thousand followers five hundred followers, because you're still posting this cause.
Speaker 3: Normalized that people just everyday people should post breakup announcements because I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what's happening. I'm like, why do yeah posts anymore?
Speaker 1: That's the thing sometimes if you're a normy and you all of a sudden start posting, this is why I allogally post nothing. It's like I never want to post a retraction yeah, or a breakup post yeah. Even like all of a sudden, like there's someone that you're like, oh that girl I went to UNI with like twenty years ago, she's always posting this guy, and all of a sudden he's gone, and I'm like, did he die? What's happened? Put her and you know, to tell me everything had happened, but like a little information would be great. Put out a breakup statement. Normalized normy is putting out breakup stations.
Speaker 2: We're all entitled to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what you get for having a social media account exactly.
Speaker 1: And all of a sudden they pop up with a new guy and I'm like, who is that guy? I'm still I thought you were with your guy, so it's yeah, so I think post a statement. But yeah, it's interesting, isn't it. But I think also for Stella, like her situation is as you're saying, like she had to jump in kind of do damage control because from the sounds of it, he broke up with her. It was not an amicable kind of a relationship. It doesn't even something like they've had a follow up conversation from the first breakup phone call. And I understand how feeling embarrassed. Again, I don't think she should be feeling embarrassed. But if you were held up as the main love story from this season, if your whole story was blown out to be this big epic romance, and maybe they fought or had like conversations on the show, but like married at First Sight, never really showed them except for a few little, you know, conflicts where they would just like chat it out and resolve it. It never showed them having any kind of like they've removed out.
Speaker 3: I reckon they had to edit their storyline to be this grand romantic love story because there were no other couples exactly, we probably didn't see a lot of like what it really was like in the day to day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and like those dinner parties were so intense and almost like verging on Like all of them them were verbally violent but like aggressive to watch, and I think they were just like people don't really come to this show for the romance, but we need a little bit sprinkled in there, a little bit to make it work. So yeah, it's a lot. I'm always so fascinated when like these reality shows end and you're in this heightened environment where your whole life is about each other and you're in these extremes and you go through all these relationship milestones so quickly, and then all of a sudden, like you're thrust out of that world. You're just in the normal world. Like I'm always just like I'm so invested in like what happens in that moment. Yeah, that's crazy to me, And I feel like we don't follow them if like you hear stories of like Bachelor contestants, like it's like you've met this guy like five times and then he says he loves you, I want to be with you together forever at the being filmed and then you have to fly back to Australia when they used to those big overseas things fly separately, so no one saw you. And then you get to like be put in a house or a hotel together for a couple of days before you go back into hiding. What is that moment like when you step into the room, the door closes and you're alone for the very first time. I would be like, oh my god, I'm freaking out. Don't touch me.
Speaker 3: Well, at the final lovel in Australia, we actually didn't know who won or anything, because they do three endings. But as soon as the production ended, it was so eerie. They just like cut the lights off the villa. Suddenly we were just around the table, like everyone started packing up and leaving, and we actually had to sign like some forms that we wouldn't like be spotted with each other, and we were told that we weren't allowed to stay in the rooms with each other after leaving because of a safety productle because obviously you don't know this person, and now like for your own safety, they just like put you in differ and rooms for that night, which everyone like protested against. And then from that we had a couple of days with each other where we're in a hotel together. But there was a moment I remember we sat in a car ride home to the hotel from the villa, and I was thinking, what of these guys completely not who I think he is and he's like a complete.
Speaker 1: Ran like pictures up, No, that could happen again, like to have this you only know this person on camera. They're being like you know, produced, and like you're in all these situations you' never be in. I know I'm always dying for that moment because I've been on so many reality TV sets where I've like seen it, I've seen a contestants, and I'm always like I want to know what happens in that moment where all the cameras go, because that's crazy. So like you were just sitting at a table and did you like just so like hold hands and kiss and be like I love you.
Speaker 3: It was so like business like it was so strange, but like we were fine after that and like everything like stayed the same like in that moment. But I think it is hard on a show like Love Island to be fake unless you're like a psychopath or be like a really great actor who should be on a better show than.
Speaker 1: Not a better show I know a scripted shop, no not. But I don't even think in this situation like people are being fake. It's just like it's such a crazy environment and everything's different and you have so many people around you. It's like, what do you do in that moment where you're alone for the first time, and like those days afterwards. I just find that so crazy, and I think that's why a lot of couples do break up in those months after where they look so happy in the moment, but you act to real life and.
Speaker 3: It's all I also just think like men getting a lot of attention suddenly.
Speaker 2: It's not good for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I got good for them. Hate that happened on Summer House too, yep, yep. I mean it's like West was all over Sierra and when he became famous, they were like he had girls throwing himself at him.
Speaker 3: And it's different because it's like a lot of girls and their boyfriends watching like Love Island.
Speaker 2: It's not like available men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, single guys, Yeah, like I'm gonna go get Also, I think that, yeah, it's so different because women watching the show and some men. But I think everyone's like Tina's so in love, we're rooting for her to stay in love. But then for the guy. You have a bunch of girls who being like not all girls obviously feminism and all that, but you know, all of a sudden there's a guy who's been on TV and that's very sexy for some people, not for some people. Gives me the ick. Wow. Well, hope Stella is doing okay. As we've said, girl, you're not alone, not me personally, but is with you going through you public breakup is hard, but yeah, I mean at least I mean, I hope she has some sort of I guess see a little comfort of knowing scene that like it's out there in the world. Now like that part's done, you know, can start to move on from it.
Speaker 2: Let's move on, let's go Sellah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks so much for listening to the Spill today. And if you want entertainment headlines, first thing morning, Tea is back in your feed tomorrow at seven am with Ash London as she had a very wholesome moment this morning that brought our Golden Girl and hath the way to tears which got me very in my fields, So definitely check it out.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,