Speaker 1: From momamm Out. Welcome to this spill your daily pop culture fix.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Bretneck and I'm Vernum and.
Speaker 1: Coming up on the show today. A shared interest of ours the Marvel Cinematic universe. Well, I shared interest of ours and a couple of a million people across the world a few others. So we had the first trailer release for Avengers Doomsday, the new Marvel movie, one of the big new team up movies that is coming out, and we have some thoughts on that. The world has some thoughts on it because it could seek I mean, what I'm about to say is outrageous. No one could this. It could signal the end of the world's biggest movie franchise dot dot dot. Maybe we've got some We haven't even discussed the trailer. I know you've got so many. Every time we mentioned the trailer, your eyes just light up with things that you need to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. I want to talk about it so badly.
Speaker 1: Guys, strap in for MS if you like a classic Emily Vernon critique.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about it so badly, but I couldn't talk about it, so I've just watched it trailer.
Speaker 1: YEA to save it for today, so you're getting exclusive on her thoughts. Plus, Megan Mirkale is going to her episode of Master's Cheff Australia is going to air this weekend that she filmed all she was in Australia and apparently she's gotten into a big beef with one of the other judges on the show. But we have some thoughts on that too because it's a classic women getting pitted against each other and we won't stand for it. But first, a few little scares in our team this week.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we were gifted of brand new trailer yesterday for a new horror movie that's coming out. It's starring Jessica Chassain and just from the trailer alone, she looks amazing in it. It's called The Other Mammy because it's American.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were just saying that week because we just say the Other Mummy, but like it's obviously it's spelt with an oath.
Speaker 2: When I saw the poster for this, I immediately clicked into the trailer because on the poster it says that it's also produced by James Wan, who is an Australian filmmaker. He's absolutely amazing in her horrors. He's on all the insidious movies, the conjuring movies. Anna he saw he is absolutely brilliant. What can't that man?
Speaker 1: Has he tried? I bet he could? Well, I bet he could.
Speaker 2: A lot of film directors say that they're quite similar, like comedy and horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got to hit those big meats exactly.
Speaker 2: So I reckon he do amazing in the comedy rom com space. I mean, he's also produced on back room, so he's having a really big moment right now. This trailer for this horror movie is so like short and simple, and it's one of the scariest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: The trailer itself, Like this is why trailers are in art form, because the trailer itself an art form when they get it right. Because this trailer plays out almost like a short film. Do you have like this incredible setup and then like almost like a beginning, middle, and end, But also it leaves you wanting to see the movie and has one of the best jump scare moments that I've seen in years.
Speaker 2: The most creative jump.
Speaker 1: Scare, the most creative jump scare moments. So do you want to some Before we get into that, we're wishing it had watching it her. Do you want to tell me what the plot is?
Speaker 2: So the plot is Jessica Chastain. She's a mother of a young girl, she has a husband. They live in this beautiful, big house. Everything's fine and dandy. But then the young girl says there's another mummy, and she's like, don't worry, she's very nice, and the family soon learned that there's like a clone, I don't know, like a woo woo clone of Jessica Chastain in the house that looks like that's pretending.
Speaker 1: To be her.
Speaker 2: And the whole movie goes through both of these women kind of trying to convince their daughter who the real mum is. So I think it's gonna be a lot of scenes of going it's me, No, it's me, No, it's me and us is the audience is gonna be like no, You're like.
Speaker 1: Jessica Chastain is creepy in every seat. I know.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of the Jordan Peel movie Oh Us Yeah, well Lupta Nyongo, who was absolutely brilliant, But it's giving. It's like evoking that same sense of fear of like not knowing who and what a trust.
Speaker 1: Well, the scariest thing when you're a kid, and this is why the only thing I get scared of is things that scared me, movies that scared me when I was a kid. The scariest thing is thinking that there's something that your parents can't protect you from, which is why movies like The Witches, I hate that movie, it's so scary. Movies like that scared you so much, or something like this where like your mother, who's meant to be the safest person for you as a child, turns evil, Like as a kid, we've all had that nightmare.
Speaker 2: I know, And like the voice and like he plays this character from the just the trailer alone, it looks so well done because she's obviously playing two different characters but pretending to be the same person. James One is also a really great like producer and director in the space, like all the conjuring and insidious movies are kind of similar, where most horror movies is like you have the good guys and the bad guys, and James One always plays in the space where the good guys could also be the bad guys, but you don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. So the big jump scared that everyone's talking about. So we put this trailer up on our Instagram account, the Spill podcast on Instagram. So if you just stop quickly now and watch it, do that. But the biggest jump scare is so inventive, is when the dad's looking around and the evil mummy other mummy. The camera flashes to her and she's upside down under the table like she's a spider. Yeah, and all her limbs, all her limbs are twisted and contorted. And can I just say, the biggest joy of my life in the last twenty four hours has been showing the trailer to people and watching their reaction. Because Chelsea, who's on our team on My Entertainment.
Speaker 2: She said she watched it with here.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know, because I knew she hadn't watched it. I'm like, it's not that bad, it's so fun. It's actually really fun. Let's just watch it. Let's watch it, And then she put it on the whole time, I'm just like tapping my fingers together in anticipation, And when that moment came on, she screamed so loud and she threw herself back from the desk with her I actually thought the chair was going to split into she was so scared and I was so happy.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the video of our producer Mania watching it? She fell to the ground screaming, we're going to put that, we actually filmed it, We're going to put it on our channels.
Speaker 1: But who else can we scare?
Speaker 2: Who else can we scare? And then there's like the people that we know. I won't get scared, like our video producer Michael, like he loves horror movies, he won't get scared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did jump.
Speaker 2: I wash it on my phone and I jumped when I saw that scene that I watched the scene while I was reading a comment on the YouTube page saying I knew the jump scared was going to happen, and I still jumped.
Speaker 1: And as I was reading that, it happened and I jumped. Oh my god, that's absolutely crazy because you know again, you know it's coming. Yeah, me, and you still have reaction to it. So this movie is based on a book which I haven't read, but I kind of almost think, like, do I read it before the movie comes out, because it's based on the New York Times bestselling novel Incidents Around the House.
Speaker 2: And I hate that I love that name, but I hate it. At the same time.
Speaker 1: Its Around the House by Josh Mallaman and the long Line for the book, and I think the movie is very much the book, so for both of them. The description is to eight year old Bella. Her family is her world. There's Mummy, Daddy and Grandma Ruth, but there's also Other Mummy, a malevolent entity who asks her every day, can I go inside your heart? And his face? Right now? You look so scared, And even though you've seen the tailor, when horrifying incidents around the house signal that other Mummy is growing tired of asking Bella the question over and over again, Bella understands it. Unless she says yes, her family will soon pay.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I love horror books. Sometimes i'm reading horror books, I'm like jumping while I'm reading it, because your imagination goes crazy.
Speaker 1: A scary book will really get you. I often think of that scene from Friends where Joey gets so scared that he puts the book in the freezer, and I was like, not no, because if I'm reading a really scary book, I don't like it in my bedroom with me at night, like I'll go put it in like my front hall. Or something.
Speaker 2: Imaginations can go wild. I am so I cannot wait to watch this. I'm equally terrified to watch this.
Speaker 1: Can I just say, can I just address the elephant in the room on this though the author or that I've seen all the filmmakers. Maybe I've missed something. Maybe something will come out. No one is saying that this is inspired by Coraline. Have you read Coraline or seen the movie?
Speaker 2: No, because I've watched half of the movie when I was young, and I'm not even that young. I think I was hateen and I was too scared to finish it. It's really scary.
Speaker 1: I went to the movies and saw Coraline when I was I was in my early twenties, and I was I just moved into my first share house and moved out of town, and I had to sleep with all the lights on the doors locked. I've never been so scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a scary movie.
Speaker 1: It's an animated movie. I'm terrifying. But they have an other mummy in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's got like buttons for eyes and.
Speaker 1: She and she does the same thing in the in this movie Evil Mummy, whatever it's called, it's mummy. Well, the thing is they've kind of taken the because they call it Other Mother and Coraline, and the two, the Jessica Chustin character and the Coraline character do similar things of like at first they're like really nice and calm and like they're maybe they seem nicer than real mom because they like let you do stuff. And then they both try and like tempt the young girls with like food and comfort, and then they turn evil and then they have this whole thing of like which one's my mom? So I was like, are we not pretending that this is not a Coraline like fan fiction?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not gonna say that.
Speaker 1: I know it's a whole different book and story, and I know there's a whole other mythology from what I was reading around they like the other Mummy character that's not Caraline. But I'm just saying it's a similar vibes.
Speaker 2: Similar vibes. I mean, Caroline did very, very well, so I can see the appeal.
Speaker 1: So this movie's coming out to October. Yeah, oh my god, we're gonna have the best time of that screening.
Speaker 2: I know from Evil this, you're gonna be on ther It's so no, because that's where she is, I'm gonna like reach over it, like, don't even.
Speaker 1: Cinema next day work and they're like am particularly the emergency room. Iks. I do think about that as.
Speaker 2: A hard set Jesus.
Speaker 1: So it's been a big week for trailers, such a big week for trailers, but this is bigger than a trailer. This is even bigger than us, Like we don't want to have this conversation. Yeah, I want the Marvel cinemac universe to do well, those underdogs that they are. And can I also just say if everyone out there who's always just like, oh well, it's only men who watch Marvel movies, who do you think is buying all those movie tickets? If if you take out half the population, women love Marvel just as much as men. It's one of those things that.
Speaker 2: We love seeing those old men on screens play a superhero.
Speaker 1: Until the end.
Speaker 2: But we are we're the ones watching it. So if you're a producer listening to this, give us the interviewing.
Speaker 1: Maybe not after this. No, I'm backing the underdog that is the Marvel Cinematic universe all the way. But also it's like things like this is why I love sci fi and fantasy and things like that, because they do. It's a story that caters those heroes against villains epic adventures is something that caters to all ages. So when you go to a Marvel screening, you see thirteen and twelve year old ten year olds there, and you see people in their fifties, sixties and seventies, men and women. It's our common interest to watch a buff man with a weapon fight comically intense evil lord. Great explanation of every Marvel movie. So yes, this week, the highly anticipated first trailer for Avengers Doomsday was released. Because this has been so anticipated because much like the original Avengers, which they took over a decade, if anyone's on a cross to set up the original Avengers movie, because you had to introduce all of the different Avengers separately, you know, iron Man, Captain America, all these different superheroes, give them their own movies and slowly build and build and build, and each movie leading with like easter eggs and clues into the next movie before all of your favorite heroes come together on the big screen with like Avengers, Avengers, Ultron, and then they also all came together in Captain America's Civil War. Those were the days that movie literally just like threw myself to the screen.
Speaker 2: I was so happy and it was a huge, big catalyst for the rest of the movie.
Speaker 1: The storytelling stakes two unlikely allies, Captain America and Iron Man, unlikely best friends because they thought they have very different ways of thinking, coming together and then their friendship ripped apart. Avengers is really a tale of male friendship and.
Speaker 2: It's so true. And like, my favorite genre is action movie, but like team action movie, me too. I love the friendship. That's why my favorite movies are the expendable movies, because it's all about these like groups of like hardy men coming together with the power of friendship.
Speaker 1: I love. The power of friendship. Is also why I like the Avengures in Marvel. It's often because you just love all these different characters, all these backstories and all their own They all these epic heroes, but the breaking stereotypes because men don't really have friends. I know, they can only have This is why like when men's sports teams win and they like smash against each other, it's because they just want to hug and.
Speaker 2: They want to hang out with their bros.
Speaker 1: But they don't know how they can only do it around sporting events, and.
Speaker 2: I think, oh, have they become a superhero?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All at superhero movies. It's the one time men are allowed to like show motion and like be like, I just want to watch my friends on screen talk out their feelings, because what about that epic moment when, like when Steve Rogers is like, he's my friend and then Tony starts like so was I? Honestly I can't the world the world, the world changed killed you know. It's all about male friendship and the importance of having a broke So that'll happen Age of Ultron and then and then the climactic end of the first kind of big Stage one of Marvel Stage two with some people call it, which was Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame. Yeah, Avengers Endgame. I can't even tell you. Well it broke me and hard in the title end Game, I know, and that's almost where it should have been. But endgame is so I've only as an adult, I've only cried in the cinema three times at movies. I've only cried at movies cinema or home three times, both Wicked movies, both Wickeds one and two, and Avengers Endgame. Yeah, oh my god, IPEd an Avengers Endgame. I sobb so hard to have a scar running down my face was a lot. Anyway, I'm just trying to tell people about their emotional stage. So the Avengers Doomsday trailer came out, and it is action packed and also star packed because Chris Hemsworth doing the most. We have Chris Hemsworth coming back as Thor, we have Pedro Pascal, we have Florence Pugh, Tom Hillston the original X Men coming back. Yeah, James Marsden reprising his role as Scott Summers aka Cyclops. Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Professor Xavier from the Original X Men. Never in my lifetime did I think I would see that. I can't even get into all the other people. Literally, it's like the Fantastic Forecast, and then you've got the Thunderbolts. Then you've got just everyone who's been tied to the Marble sort of mac universe.
Speaker 2: Is the Wakanda tribe.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much everyone who's like still recently has had a movie and who are like in this next phase. And I think they're using Thor as one of the original Avengers to tie them all in together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's the last of the or so we thought, last of the original kind of trio left standing. Because even though I always see the original Avengers as like a group, I like put Natasha and Clint and everyone in that same circle. I guess Marvel always positioned it that it was Captain America, iron Man, and Thaw as like the three biggies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Thor is the only one still that we're still there because they're also the ones that had like the biggest standalone movies as well that iron Man and Thor started before the Avengers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they all they've all had multiple stint Yeah, so yeah, I get it in that case. So okay, So now that I've set it up and just I've just rainbowed about how excited I am. So the trailer came out, take us through what was in the trailer, Emily and your thoughts. Okay, So spare no feelings. This is going to be really hard for me to explain. The trailer was so much is happening?
Speaker 2: A lot of handshakes, Yeah, a lot of introductions, didn't really undertand what's happening. So it starts with I guess thor new haircut is his iback. I couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got a he's got a mystical eye, don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's got a mystical eye, even though he lost it allegedly, so he's back. He is telling the New Avengers. Firstly, he's like, where are the guys?
Speaker 1: Where are the boys at?
Speaker 2: And everyone's like, it's us and the Thunderbolts have their like knives and stuff, and he's like, oh no, oh no, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Also Thunderbolts if anyone's on a cross. That was the movie where it was like Florence Pugh and David Harbor, yeah, and why why Russell? A bunch of people in there and I you and I saw it maybe together and we really liked him. And then the reviews were quite mixed and the box office wol think it was okay, but it didn't like blow anything away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was like all new, like kind of newish superheroes. And if you hadn't watched the TV the mini series that Marvel have been releasing throughout the big franchise movies, you wouldn't really understand. And the only person really holding it together was Sebastian Stan as Bucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, making that return. So that's just being like, I can't believe I went from working with like Iron Man and Captain America to this rag test.
Speaker 2: So if you've only been watching just the big cinematic movies, which I think a lot of people do. Most people do, if you don't have a Disney Plus subscription, actually, then you'll only really recognize Sebastian stand in that whole movie.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. And also, I guess Florence Peugh as Yelena if you watch The Black Widow, yeah, or Avengers Infinity War and that sort of stuff, I think she's like bit butit is. Yeah. I think that is where one of the reasons Marvel has fallen down and they've addressed this. They went too hard on all these weird side TV shows, and they're like, to understand this big movie, you have to watch all these different side TV shows, and people like, we're not doing that, which is also unfair.
Speaker 2: A lot to ask from people, And it's the exact reason why I stopped watching Chicago Fire because then I also had to watch Chicago MD because none of the storylines were lining up. I didn't deal there was this one time where there was like where there was like this collapse in the hospital and the next day it was all fine, and I was like, why the ending the hospital didn't happen? And I was like, oh, I have to watch three episodes of Chicago MD because that's where that storyline continues. I couldn't do it. It's too much for you to ask me as a viewer, so I stopped it.
Speaker 1: You would have died in the prime DC days because you had to like this, like the story would start an Arrow, then it would go to Flash, then it would go to Supergirl, then it would go to Legends that I stopped to Batgirl, and so you had to watch every But the thing about this is why the DC universe works so well because they kept that all contain to a perfectly constructed TV universe. Whereas Marvel was popping back and forth between cinema and TV shows, they had main characters die on the TV show Maria Hill died and it died on a side TV show situation, and I was just like, that's is that is disrespectful.
Speaker 2: And I think the writing just got so chaotic with Marvel because each TV show were doing like exactly what you said like these major like plot points, and then I think to like make another big franchise movie, they would cover up like Sideline shows by just saying it was a different universe, and they just got very confusing and very message.
Speaker 1: Like one of my favorite TV shows, Agents of Shield is no, it's so good, how dare you? But they this is an example of the TV universe and the movie universe not talking to each other because they built this whole huge TV franchise around Shield and then in one of the Marvel movies that like Shield is Evil, It's gone forever, and the TV like and then they had to pivot.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, it's so it's very very confusing if you're not like fully embedded in it. It's still confusing even if you are fully embedded in there.
Speaker 1: So keep going with the trailer. Sorry, we've got You're one second into the trailer, so.
Speaker 2: Thor comes, he's like, where are the new Avengers? And then it's like these guys and it's like Falcon and Bucky going, sorry, we tried. We try to put something together.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Sorry that is actually funny.
Speaker 2: It's literally just the two of them. We're trying really hard, but this is.
Speaker 1: Who we have. They're like good, They're like, look, budgets across the world are being co We can't.
Speaker 2: We couldn't do Spider Man, we couldn't do Hulk.
Speaker 1: It's like just us.
Speaker 2: And then they was like, well, we have the worst end boss.
Speaker 1: You know, all those other bad guys that we fought over the years that kill people that were stronger than you guys, killed my friends way better than you guys. This guy who's coming Doomsday even.
Speaker 2: Worse, even worse.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, that's the worst pep talk ever.
Speaker 2: And then we find out that Doomsday is played by Robert Downey Jr. We knew this for a while because it was announced that Comic Con years ago when we took off the mask, and.
Speaker 1: It's the end credits scene in the Last Fantastic Four movie too.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. That's so true. And we also got a hint of it in the end credits scene in the Marvels movie. It was the first glance where we see the X Men combining with the Avengers. I mean, but the Marvels I don't even think are in it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, they'll be in it. They'll because they just weren't in that the thing is not everyone who's in it is in the trailer O, goofty people in this movie.
Speaker 2: Because I love that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did too. So that's kind of where things are on shaky ground with Marvel because Avengers End Game, everyone like mostly critically acclaimed a wrong, like we loved this massive, massive, box office huge, and then after that they ran into trouble. So like the Marvels underperformed at the box office, and the critics weren't very nice about it, the fans weren't nice about it. A lot of that is rotten in sexism, I will say. Also Captain America Brave You Well, which saw Anthony Mackie take over as Captain America from Chris Evans, and that's got to be said, that's also steeped in some racism.
Speaker 2: It is, and that movie was brilliant with Harrison Ford. I thought it was a really good movie.
Speaker 1: Well that's that's the thing. You and I different. You thought it was an incredible movie. I thought it was like pretty good, but I didn't think it deserved any of the hate that it lad. And I thought it was very telling that people like, we're not watching this and then Thunderbolts. I really I thought Thunderbolts was great, and I don't even think people gave it a chance. So that's the thing. It's been like a bit of a downward turn for Marvel, and everyone thought Avengers Doomsday was really going to bring it back, which it will, like it's going to make so much money, but will it keep the spirit alive?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very hard to say, and it is interesting because it does feel like the Marvel really tried to nail it. So it is a kind just from the trailer alone, so we can't judge the movie right now, but from the trailer. I was a bit disappointed because there were so many announcements before this one where we got news of them like redoing shoots and pulling pushing the date back, the release date back further and further, which I didn't mind because I'm like, it feels like they're really trying.
Speaker 1: To mailize, please get this right. The thing is like the thing about Infinity War in particular, is that there's so many people in that movie and yet it works so well, Like that movie is a masterclass in like storytelling and pacing. Because everyone's people don't get a lot of screen time, but when they do, it hits so well and the story moves so incredibly fast. Every it's all killed, no filler, And I think that they need Doomsday to be a too, and it doesn't sound like it will. And also one thing is, like I've got to say it out loud. I love these men to death. I know they're a little problematic. I don't know. I'm a little disappointed in Robert Downey Jr. And Chris Evans because they both made such a big deal about their characters having this big heroes ending and ending that chapter of the Marvel Universe, and they both said it would be crazy for us to just come back, and yet they're both coming back, and Robert Downing June is coming back as a villain, which I kind of hate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what I was saying before about them coming back through the loophole of it being a different universe, and it's like universe is combining, and I honestly think it's just lazy, right.
Speaker 1: It feels disrespectful to Tony Stark, and I know that's the whole point. Is like Doomsay's wearing his face upset them. I get I get it. No one at me about this, because I understand the mechanics of the storytelling, but I just feel like it was also felt really gimmicky for Robert Downey Junior to come back in this way. I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. He's an incredible actor, and I love that character of Tony Stark. I think he did amazing things with it. But I just also feel this feels a bit of a cheap. And then also Chris Evans, like we obviously don't know the mechanics of him there.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling it's just mystiq. Yeah, And I'm like, okay, so you've paid like this huge cameo role for Chris Evans. We don't know like why he's in the film or what his purpose is in the film. But the film, like just from the trailer alone, it's all just cameos, like to show everyone's face and all just different groups meeting people, like the tribes in Wakanda meeting the Fantastic Four. And I'm like, I don't know this, Like I don't know what the actual storyline is going to be if a lot of this time is taken up with us seeing everyone get introduced to each other.
Speaker 1: But they did that in Infinity Warrant at Work, so maybe it's the same people. It's the same the rest of the Ruso brothers. Do we who doing this movie, so like they'll be I feel like they can do it. They just have fallen down.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to go into it watching it like it's not really part of the Marvel Cinematic universe. Absolutely don't do that, and that it's just a standalone movie, because I also don't like going to the movies and then being disappointed, So I don't want to set myself up no disappointed, to.
Speaker 1: Just be like I just like to see some of my face on screen. The last thing we'll say on this is that the trailer itself coming in the week when The Odyssey is still blowing up. There has been some questions raised because some people like, obviously they had always planned to release it now, but did they release it with the thought of everyone's like the Odyssey, Yeah, movies cinema and they saw this and they're like, ooh, practical effects need to be here, yeah, which yeah, I just because like you thought, did you think that when you saw the trailer that it looked a little.
Speaker 2: When I saw the trailer. I was literally like, sh now, not now, maybe.
Speaker 1: Avengers Doomsday home.
Speaker 2: I'm not now and you can even tell like even Thorn the trailer's like yeah, not now. It's like, thank god we have Florence peer with her knife.
Speaker 1: Ye Doomsday, say, Florence Pea is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. She's probably out there being like, oh, I had to make Don't Worry Darling by myself. Now I have to make Adventures Doomsday by myself. So Avengers Doomsday and also just Marvel. Obviously we just gave you some tough love, but we we love you. We're rooting for you. As I said, I love an underdog. So I want the Marble Cinematic Universe to do well. And I'm gonna be seated. I mean, obviously see this movie at least twice in cinemas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's going to be like around Christmas time right, coming out out.
Speaker 1: December seventeenth in cinema, cancel you Christ's clansby Family, so you can just watch us over and over again.
Speaker 2: You're gonna want to do this. So it's only been a few months since we were graced with the presence of Meghan and Harry here down Under. I think they were here around April, and we knew when they were down here they were doing a lot of talks. Meghan famously went to a mini women's retreat in Coulji to do a talk there and have a dinner there. And then while they were here, we also found out that she appeared on our Master Chef show as a celebrity guest for one of the episodes, and that episode is going to be airing this Sunday. Now, even though the episode hasn't come out, we're already starting to hear some of the things that happened behind the scenes. According to page six, we found out that Meghan was allegedly not really impressed with her kind of stint on Master Chef, and she was specifically not impressed with master Chef's favorite judge polling yow. I feel like we can say it's our favorite judge, right. Yeah, she's like a bottle of sunshine.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that woman is just so charismatic on TV, like she's just in real life too. I had matter a few times, like humblebreag. But also that's why she's such a good TV host, is that she radiates warmth and energy across the screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she Poe has also been doing the promotional part of like showcasing that Meghan's going to be on the show, and in one of the promotional clips, Poe said, We've had Master Chef Royalty in the kitchen before, but no one like this all the way from Sunny California. Please welcome to Master Chef Australia the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markel. And it's been alleged that Meghan Markle did not like that introduction at all. Now it's gone into a whole thing and this has all been reported by Sky News and Page six, so nothing like no Camp has officially spoken or made a statement, but it's been alleged that Poe wanted to apologized to Megan Markel for it. She didn't want to be wrapped up in this whole like Royalty tobaccle with the names and things like that, but she was told that let the producers handle it with her people. When I read this, I was a bit like, firstly, like everyone was actually getting really excited for this episode of to see Megan Markele on TV because it feels like everything they did when they were in Australia was very like in person event. We could only see them if you could buy a three hundred dollars ticket or if you were invited to any of these events. So it's like we're getting a glimpse of Megan Markele. The rest of Australia is getting a glimpse of her just on us screens, which I thought was quite nice. And now when I'm reading like all of this stuff that's happening behind the scenes, including all of this stuff that's just happened when she took her kids over to England to meet their grandfather, it's not really working out.
Speaker 1: In her favor, no, And this is why I mean, this whole situation is disappointing yet predictable because when it was announced that Mega Markel was going to be on Master's Chef Australia, it was the statement that came from her was like cooking and food is my love language and I'm so excited about this, And like, if there's one thing we know about that woman, cooking and food is her love language, lifestyle. She loves cooking something, she loves she loves dressing up a plate, she loves plating, it up, as they say on Masterschef, and she's been doing that since she was an actress, back with her blog The Tig pre feuding with the Royal Family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she loves a little flower sprinkle exactly. She alleged loves jam.
Speaker 1: Jam preserves. Oh yeah, not dead that again. So it felt very fitting that she would be on this show, and I'm sure that's why she agreed to. I'm sure every TV show was trying to get her onto something, but this really fits with her brand, and you think like her and Poe would get along so well because they both had that like fun hostess energy and they both love food. I'm sure they could talk for hours about that. And so I just have to say, in defense of Megan, Markele and Poe, is that this whole thing feels like a beat up. This whole thing feels like we've seen two prominent women and also two women of color, which is always more of a lightning rod for criticism that because they're appearing on a show together, this whole pitting women against each other, they're having a few. Megan was awful, pose upset. This feels like it's been fabricated for extra headlines, right, and.
Speaker 2: Even if it was like a big problem, which I actually don't think it was, I reckon just from like the industry in general, it would have literally been something so like small and minuscule, like a staff member in Meghan's cam but telling a producer on Mastership going just FYI can we just change the promo around a little.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the thing is, we like I looked into this everyway and I couldn't find any source connected to either of them that had alluded to this. So we've only got page six in Sky News reporting and it's all like this person said, a source said. This person said, like, there's no there's no proof that this happened. And yes, we know that sometimes Megan does like correct her title, but she has used Meghan Michael Dutchess of Sussex official. Like I think there was a front cover of children's book it was like a book by Megan Duchess of Sussex. I know that was a while ago. But then obviously there was that whole thing on Her with Love Megan Netflix show where she corrects Mindy Kaling and says Megan Sussex. Yeah, So I think that they're obviously like kind of like cherry picking little moments and then they put them together to sort of create this very predictable drama, and then at the same time, then we know nothing about how Pose reacted. Yeah, the story I saw was like she heard that Meghan Markle was upset, and then she was upset and she asked production if she could reach out apologize and they said, no, no, production will reach out. Like this is whole this is this reads like a little page turner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's literally like a gossip column. And then there's also a part where page six in their article have said Another source also said that they had to cut so many scenes and the mastershare filming because there was such a stark difference between Poe and Megan, And I'm like, that seems very unnecessary. And the thing about just talking.
Speaker 1: About food exactly the thing to say like, oh, we couldn't air scenes with poem Meghan because yeah, they were. They were bristling up against each other and it was so tense. It's just so kind of interesting and disheartening with the way that like media and news cycles and celebrity news and gossip works at the moment, is that these headlines have now gone out everywhere in the if you read through the actual articles, it does say like we heard from a source allegedly, but none of the headlines or the tiktoks or the video is about it have said that. So now this has been reported as fact and now people believe it. And once people believe the first story, they hear like that's it, Like it's out there now that people believe that poem Meghan are like sworn enemies.
Speaker 2: Over I know, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: And also there's all these other conspiracy theories linked to Harry's visit to the UK. So there's multiple conspiracy theories because the trailer for Meghan Markle being on Master Chef Australia was released the same day as Prince George turned thirteen and those portraits of him were released, So there is there is a group of people out there who do believe that Markle has somehow orchestrated her Master Chef promo to steal the thunder of Prince George's thirteenth birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So not only is she feuding with Poe a Strange a Strange, she's feuding with her thirteen year old strange nephew. If things are to be believed. George's at home fuming watching the Master Chef promos. I hate Master Chef.
Speaker 2: Put the flower sprinkles away.
Speaker 1: George is in the comments under his burner accounts, being like I heard she fall with both. It was George who did all. He's the page six sauce as of his thirteenth birthday, he was gifted minions. Normally, those royal minions who go in feed like that. They call them their press secretaries who go to feed store. The whispery is right, the men in suits who go and whisper things to her. And he's like, for my first use of my whispering, I shall take down Megan Markle on MasterChef Australia. No, but again we're laughing because this is funny, but people believe this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's also come at the same time with Prince Harry's visit to the UK. There were so many headlines around that about like Meghan being like banned from going places, and then the story that's come out is that Prince Harry was only allowed to see his father, King Charles under the caveat They had multiple witnesses present because they're like, he lies, he spins stories. We can't see him and look, this might be true, but I'm just saying we don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also that they had to sneak Meghan and the kids in and the one saw them come in because they had like a front which was like a big Chanelle show in the estate. Because it does like, look if photos at that official meeting they had with the kids and Meghan and Harry and King Charles, if photos do get leaked of that, it makes Harry and Meghan look really good and it shows that they can still have this big life outside of the royal family and still be Royals, and it doesn't make the other camp, which is the William camp, look good at all. So it's going to be really interesting to see if we ever ever do see those photos, because we know exact factly what they would say published absolutely.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I guess it's kind of fun that Australias, I mean, not fun, but it's kind of interesting that Australia like us too.
Speaker 2: We're still part of the Commonwealth.
Speaker 1: It's like we're involved in the royal drama too. And to be involved, you know, like you want to be in with the cool kids, you got to set like you know, you've got to bring some dirt to the table. And our dirt is like, look at this master chef gossip that we invented. So but also like the thing is like you have to kind of eye roll it. You have to kind of think of the runny when you but but the thing is like watching it, I was really disheartened because I know it's a tailor as old as time. It's like a beautiful women in the public eye doing bad things will always generate coverage and clicks, and this like generated international coverage, international coverage, and then to up it even more, two women fighting even in both in the public eye. That is, that's just like printing traffic and downloads to your podcast or views on your TikTok or people reading your articles, like and that's obviously why it's happening, but it is kind of indicative of how much like all we want to see women pitted against each other. All we want to see is the downfall of women, but particularly women in the public eye who like are of color, or who's speaking out about different things, or who don't kind of toe this line of like I'm the funny, cool girl who will keep quiet kind of thing like and so that's really just happening too, because I I just saw that and I was like, oh, so if you.
Speaker 2: See this news out there, just know, like, remember it was George specifically, it was all alleged. It's all sources. So when you see a little TikTok bites, it's not exactly.
Speaker 1: And get excited for Megan on Mastershire someday. I'm sure she and had a lovely time. And you know what, even if they didn't, sometimes you just don't get along.
Speaker 2: If I was a contestant on that shirt, I'd freak out because I would not have flower sprinkles or like a little honey sawbet on the show.
Speaker 1: Like climbing a tree outside.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I need some flower arrangement. I need to start rapping things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to make your calligraphy. Go your calligraphy. The steaks could not be high, my god.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for listening to this bill today. If you enjoyed this episode, the best way you can support us is to give us a five star rating or review wherever you listen. It goes a long way in helping us continue to give you the best content possible and do not forget we have our weekend watch episode dropping bright and early tomorrow. We will see you then, Bye bye,