Speaker 1: So, Patty, we haven't done this for ages, but I wanted to start by talking about a DM that we got from a listener. Nice YEP, I'm going to read it out. I would just like to reach out and thank you so much for your podcast. I started listening to you guys throughout my entire pregnancy to educate and prepare myself as a first time mum. I'm so glad I did, because I ended up having a traumatic birth, including an induction, an incredibly fast labor less than one point five hours, the baby's heart rate dropping to sixty beats per minute, and a pisiotomy, forceps, shouldered destotia three B tier, and hemorrhaging not only during labor, but also two weeks postpartum.
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 1: The knowledge I learned from your podcast allowed me to understand what was happening during such a fast paced, scary moment of my life where decisions had to be made quickly. It allowed me to focus on the situation and remain as calm as I could in a time where I easily could have spiraled out of control. Bubs and I are now three mons postpartum and can happily report neither of us have had any long term problems as a result of the birth, and I'm now enjoying this new phase of my life. Thank you and a big heart. That is just incredible, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Thanks for getting in touch.
Speaker 1: I know, and like, I'm sorry that that was just a traumatic birth that had pretty much everything. It was one with the lot. I just wanted to unpack one thing and that is three B tier. Yeah, yep, and hemorrhaging not only during labor but also two weeks postpartum. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it just went on and on, isn't it, These complications, and it's hard to know exactly you know, what the details are behind those things, but there's certainly things that we discuss in our podcast and in our program with the idea being that these are hopefully not going to happen to you, but if they do, knowledge about those things and some awareness of those things is surely going to be beneficial.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I really wanted to bring this to everybody's attention because you know this, these are some things that can happen in birth. So the more knowledge you have, I think it has an impact on how calm it can be if you actually know what's going to be coming and how you can deal with it and what decisions to make. Absolutely, so thanks so much for giving us this DM. Welcome to the kick Your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 3: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to be.
Speaker 1: Born and our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 3: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information. Hi.
Speaker 1: Everyone, Well, before we start this episode, we've got a little update, a twenty twenty five update, and actually we were prompted to do this by somebody who left a comment on Spotify. So this is a really great new feature that Spotify has. And if you've got any comments on any of our episodes, I read them all and then we bring them back and we have made edits to different podcast episodes. We've added bits, we've suggested to do different topics. So it's a really great way to have some feedback loop happening. So this came from anonymous but she said, Hey, team, wondering if you could provide an edit to this episode advising the public that the screening is now covered under Medicare. I think the cost would be a huge barrier for many people, and I would hate for people to listen to this outdated information and think they can't afford it. Thanks well, we would do so here we go, but before we go on to Pat, I did want to say about how this all began. And it began in twenty seventeen, Mackenzie Cassella was born to parents Rachel and Jonathan. At ten weeks old, she was diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy. With no family history of genetic disease, the parents were not aware that they were carriers. Mackenzie died at seven months and eleven days, and Rachel and Jonathan launched a campaign calling for reproductive genetic carrier screening to be publicly funded. In twenty eighteen, the Australian government announced five hundred million towards genomics research and a twenty million dollar study of reproductive genetic carrier screening, calling it Mackenzie's mission. Amazing work by Rachel and Jonathan which has actually ended up. In November twenty twenty three that the three panel carrier screen was made one hundred percent bulk wheeled for anyone with Medicare in Australia. And the other thing I want to make people aware of is a Quick Kick that we released and it's episode one six y two and it's talking about the expanded panel screening which is available now. So have listened to what Tucktapat talks about knowing that the three gene carrier screening is now one hundred percent bog build and have her listen to the Quick Kick episode one sixteen. If you're trying to get pregnant or you are pregnant and you feel a little bit overwhelmed by all you need to know, then this is the right podcast for you. Welcome to the show. I'm Bridget Maloney.
Speaker 3: And I'm obstetrician Dr Patrick Maloney and this is the Kick, your expert led podcast that delivers the essentials of growing a baby. Welcome to episode three. This is Doctor Pat and I'm flying solo today. Today's discussion is what I wish every woman knew before becoming pregnant. Most women in the pre pregnancy phase know to take fol eight supplements easy tick. They know that quitting smoking is best easy tick. They're even stopping that glass of wine at the end of the day is on the radar tick that one off. But what a lot of people don't know is that we now have the ability to look very closely at our genes. And these are genes that are incredibly common in our population, and three genes in particular, four conditions known as cystic fibrosis or CF, spinal muscular atrophy SMA, and fragile x syndrome FXS. And we'll get into what those are in just a moment. So these are recessive genetic disorders that we can be carriers of without having the disease ourselves. And a carrier is somebody who has some genes for that disease but does not have that disease, but can pass it on to children. So what are your chances that you're a carrier of these genes? Well, it's actually pretty high. One in twenty five people carry the gene facystic fibrosis, and up to one in twenty in Tasmania, And that's a lot more than a lot of people think. I mean, fifty people are carriers for spinal muscular atrophy, but the number of people who carry that the fragileic syndrome gene is not really known. These are pretty important genetic diseases which many people are completely unaware that they carry in their genes. In fact, a study in Genetics in Medicine Medical Journal founder a massive eighty eight percent of couples are unaware that their carriers for these conditions, and when two carriers have a baby together, their baby can get the full disease. I've seen firsthand that turmoil newly pregnant couples can go through if they find out that their much hoped for child has one of these diseases. It's hard, there are really tough decisions to make. It has long lasting impacts on relationships, and it can be heartbreaking. So let's get on with a few facts. Cystic five brosis or CF is a severe condition affecting mainly breathing and digestion. People with cystic fibrosis need constant medical attention. They have a decreased life span to about their thirties, and about one in two thousand, five hundred babies born in Australia each year has cystic fibrosis. Fragile X syndrome is the most common form of inherited intellectual disability, and it affects about one in three thousand, six hundred males and about one in six thousand females. And the children with fragile x syndrome have varying degrees of behavioral and physical disabilities. And spinal muscular atrophy is, you know, is really a terrible condition. It's a severe disease in affecting muscles and it's rare, only about one in six to ten thousand berths, and it gives something that is sometimes called floppy baby syndrome. There are a few different types of spinal muscular atrophy, but basically babies with that diagnosis usually have a severe type and die before they're two years old. So you know, all just got a bit heavy. This is serious stuff. So let's get back to making a baby. If your ducks are in a row and you've worked out when you're ovulating, and you've prepared your lifestyle change, has given up the smokes, and you're ready to go, and you're in the baby making mood, I want you to think about stopping what you're doing for a moment and having a bit of a think about being tested for these conditions. Now I've got absolutely no affiliation with any company, like most doctors for that matter, but I want you to consider something called a prepair test, and that's a carrier test that can be done on the woman and if necessary, the male partner to find out in advance whether we're carriers for these conditions. As specialist obstetrician, I normally see women at about ten weeks when they're already pregnant, and I can tell you that since carrier testing became available, I've seen a grand total of one couple that have had pre pregnancy testing to see if they're carriers for this condition that you heard that right, There's one couple. On other occasions, i've seen couples in heartbreak where they find out after they're pregnant that they were both carriers for this condition and the baby is affected. It's not common, but it does happen, and I don't want it to happen to you. Carrier testing is existing technology, it's available to you right now, and I think that you deserve the opportunity to at least consider it before you conceive. So this is something that we want to get done before we start drying. And I recommend that everyone at least consider a prepare a test, and it's pretty much a must for couples with a family history of the diseases that we've talked about, even if it's in distant relatives. So what do we do. We go to the GP and we talk about pre testing for these conditions, and the commercially available test that I use is called pre pair p E P A I R, and it's available through the VCGS, which is the Victorian Clinical Genetics Service. So I'm really keen on people going to their doctor anyway before they get pregnant, so that the doctor has a chance to talk to you about readiness for pregnancy, and we can do a cervical screening test, you know the new papsmere check your immunity to rebell, get you on some fole late, talk about possible chicken pox vaccination, assess any regular cycle. The list goes on, and there's lots of good reasons to go to the doctor before you get pregnant, but prepare testing is one that I think doesn't always come up, and I'd like to see it come up more often. So we're going to cover in a future podcast all the good reasons to go to the doctor in advance and we'll give you a link to a checklist that you can print out before you go to the doctor to make sure that those key things get discussed. So a prepair test is done on blood or saliva, and you go to the GP and you talk about it and he'll give you a slip, just an ordinary pathology slip, and then you get online at VCGS dot org dot AU forward Slash Tests Forward Slash pre pair pr e p ai R and you buy the test online and then send in the saliva or go to pathology have blood drawn and they send in the blood. Now the bummery is it cost three hundred and eighty five bucks, which is a spicy meatball, I know, but I just think that's incomparable compared to the peace of mind that this can give you. So far, it's a user pays system. Unfortunately, you can shop around a bit. There are other providers of this test through some of the other big pathology providers, and I hope that it can humor market. It'll drive the costs down, and you know, consider this a call out to the government to start consider subsidizing testing like this. It would be great if there was enough government funding to keep up with technology, and we knew that most couples planning an upcoming pregnancy were aware in advance of their carrier status for these important conditions. So it's the woman who should be tested first because one of the conditions, fragile acts, can only be passed on by the mother, so it's much more sense to check the woman first, and then the male partner would be tested if the woman was found to be a carrier for any of the conditions, because to pass the disease onto a child, both parents need to be carriers. And if you're both carriers, then in discussion with your doctor and some clever people who are called genetic counselors, we can work out the exact chance of you guys, as a couple having a baby with one of them these significant diseases. So what do we do if you both found out to be carriers? Well, Couples in this situation are advised to consider a process called preimplantation genetic diagnosis, and this involves a couple having an IVF cycle, which tends to go very well because IVF goes very well if the couple aren't actually infertile and the embryos that are created are tested for the diseases in question, and only embryos that don't have the disease are used to be put back into the woman and grow into a baby. That process largely eliminates the risk of having a child with the disease for which the parents are carriers. It's important that this is not NIPS testing, this is not harmony testing. This has got nothing to do with down syndrome screening. I'll write a blog about that next time. This is about pre pregnancy screening for carrier status for those diseases. And you know, if the testing is normal, fantast carry on, make that baby. So that's it for today, short and sweet. All of this will be in our show notes. If you haven't subscribed yet, do that now so that you know when our next episode hits. And if you've liked what you've heard, please tell a friend. We're on a mission to bring this essential pregnancy information to every woman. See next time.
Speaker 1: Hey, even though doctor Pat is well a doctor, and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, I just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice. When you grow your baby