Speaker 1: And obviously I know who Anthony is and everyone does when you see him. And I said, you know, if you need a training partner, I'm peteing, so let me know you're up the road. I know you love a bit of fitness, and that kind of opened up the conversation between us through social media, and yeah, one conversation led to an invitation to Wiggle's HQ to work on a project. I think everything happens for a reason. Then sometimes you find a roadblock in life. I think that's all supposed to happen, and you only kind of realize when you look back. That's why I did that, That's why that happened, and this is why this happened.
Speaker 2: These are the yays of our lives. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives. They adore the good, bad and ugly. The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your yay. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned entrepreneur who's wap the suit and heels to co found matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bark CZA is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Whether you are a child, have a child, or have ever met a single child, you will undoubtedly know of the Wiggles, and not just at home here in Australia. They've also captured the hearts of families around the world since they're beginning back in nineteen ninety one. Speaking of capturing hearts, though in their latest evolution with eight wonderful members, one particular Wiggle has shot to global fame as the Sexy Wiggle or officially as Big Strong John, and we are so lucky to have him here with us today. Like many of our guests, you'll probably have seen John Pierce many times either with The Wiggles or on his own very busy socials before hearing him today without knowing much of what came before his chapter in the Purple Suit. My favorite part of this show is getting to know the person behind the scenes and you may not have known that John was a member of the Justice Crew beforehand, creating a very different kind of music to that which he creates today. That he was a member of said Justice Crew alongside his twin one of seven siblings, That his original career ambitions were in sport and nutrition, with a previous appearance on Australian Ninja Warrior and a career in personal training, or that at any moment now in fact, could be Right now as I record this, he is about to become a father for the first time with his beautiful wife Jesse expecting. I had read so much about John, but knew nothing about his upbringing either, and the amazing journey from commission Housing to global superstar while keeping such a level, humble head on his shoulders. I hope you guys enjoy finding a little bit more about the purple Wiggle as I did. John Pierce, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks for having me. This is great. I feel like we're color coordinating to the microphone jacket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but big missed opportunity by us. For those listening, we are matching, but not in the color purple, Like, how did that happen?
Speaker 1: I know it's one of my favorite colors. Well, you know, it's a different day today. I've got to save that for tomorrow's show.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to have I've got a little eight month old son and he was going to be waiting for you when he came on to record in this little MIDI purple wiggle outfit.
Speaker 1: That I wow, how cool.
Speaker 2: But he ended up having a nap and you'll soon learn becoming a dad in a couple of weeks how important nap times are. But maybe he can put it on at the end.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's his name?
Speaker 2: Teddy?
Speaker 1: Oh? Teddy? Oh, how cute? Awesome? Love the meeting one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's such a little sweetheart. I'm sure in no time he will be absolutely obsessed with all things Wiggles. He hasn't quite discovered TV. He loves music. Still young, right, He's still a bit young. But I know the time will come where this will be in his eyes my biggest achievement ever, chatting to a real life wiggle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like my little niece before she turned one. I did the same thing. I was I was watching The Wiggles with it, and I was sitting with and I think I'm made a video online I was like, she has no idea that she's watching her uncle and I'm sitting with her. But you'll realize, and they used to come. She looks back if she really cares, but you know.
Speaker 2: Oh she will. I mean, you guys are celebrities. This is a serious celebrity we have on the show this week. Listeners. I'm so honored and I feel like this the Wiggles generally, I mean, for many reasons, and we'll get to this, but there's justice crew. First, there's you know, an ARIA nominated chart topping career before we even get to the Wiggles chapter. And then on top of that, you know, you're not just a Wiggle, You're the thirsty Wiggle, which just brings us this extra level of virality.
Speaker 1: It's unique, it's unique.
Speaker 2: It's definitely you've occupied a very unique section of the Internet, which we will get to because I'm sure. I mean, one of the things I love to talk about on this show is that the places that people end up or the places that people are introduce to you now will kind of get to know you as the Purple Wiggle. It's really easy to assume that you had a really smooth path there, that you always knew that you'd end up where you are, and I feel like so often when you go back to the very beginning, you started as a kid who had big dreams and often they aren't ever sort of what you thought that you'd end up in. So I like to start back in childhood. You know, I was reading that you were much more into athletics and one hundred meters before hip hop became a thing for you and six brothers one sister. You know, there's a lot of kids running around and lots of hopes and dreams, So figuring out sort of your path and as a twin as well, like, there's a lot there, So tell us about your childhood. Who you thought you'd be when you were little.
Speaker 1: You know, I thought I was going to be a parrange when I was little, me and my brother. Obviously, I'm an identical twin, and I had a great childhood when I look back, I always had a best friend that was always there. We weren't competitive, but we love to, you know, be sporty and run around. We used to go out on the street and race each other to you know, past the time, and that was that was what entertained us as as young as six, and you know, we wouldn't be on the street at that age, but you know, we'd be playing and compete, and that's when we kind of started our journey and athletics. But we grew up in our house. A small house is a two bedroom place. It's called housing commissioner government housing. So I actually grew up in a place like that where it was me, my brother, younger sister, my younger brother, and my older brother, which we grew up together. We shared a room, my parents obviously in the other room, so it's very small and we didn't have a lot, but we had to use our imagination to entertain ourselves. And we weren't very watuate in the sense of, you know, material things, but we were gifted in the art of sport and energy, so I guess we had to turn that into something. So sport was our outlet, and then it ended up becoming dance through the journey. So yeah, in a nutshell.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love starting back at this earlier part of people's lives because I think, you know, when you google you it's not this kind of stuff that comes up, but it's hearing about people's beginnings, which are often much more humble than you might expect when you look at the chapter there and now, which is often when we meet you, I bet you never expected that you'd end up being, you know, the global sensation that you've become.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, and I guess, you know, growing up in those circumstances, you only kind of get exposed to what you see on TV and being surrounded by kind of similar people, and you do get kind of put in in a bubble. They say, you know, you've got to kind of work, or you've got to study, and you've got to do all these things, which is kind of a general consensus where if you know, study get opportunities. But you know, I went to a public school. We didn't have those kind of opportunities. And also you know, the financial backing to kind of take risks and all that stuff. So I guess we had each other. But I'm very grateful for that now, and I kind of look back when I look at my childhood, it was great. I had a lot of fun, but you know the standard of what I thought was fun was was very low, so that anything that I'm doing now it's I'm succeeding, and I feel like I'm truly happy for what I do today, and I'm very grateful to be in the Wiggles and to be able to perform and do music. But I think I'm not saying that's the definition of true happiness. But you know, my blueprint of what a perfect life was was that, and I think there's nothing wrong with that. And it was a great at a great time. But you know, there's a lot more out there, and there's a lot of opportunities to be had, and I'm very grateful to be where I am today, and I'm for my childhood and the way I was raised.
Speaker 2: I think there's an art to parenting in a way that your children believe that what your means are able to create for them is the best. Like I love that you had no consciousness that it was more or less than anyone else. You just had a great time. And I think that's really special that you had a childhood like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I hope everyone does have a good childhood, but everyone's story is unique and different, and I think that's part of my story. And I was never really I was kind of always embarrassed to talk about, you know, growing up in housing commission and not having much and getting my mom to write a letter to school to see if one of us can get exempt from school fees, which is only two hundred and fifty dollars or something whatever that was. But they were always supportive in that sense. But now that I look back and I feel like, you know, it's okay to talk about that, and it's you should be proud of your story no matter what it is.
Speaker 2: It's also amazing to talk about it because there would be other kids now who are listening and trying to form their pathway and what as you said, like pople can't believe they can do something unless they see it, unless it's visible, and so seeing you having made that leave in your career makes other kids believe that they could also kind of outgrow their circumstances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's always hope and if you if you want something in your dream enough, you got a dream big and with justice screw we always stood for. That was our quote was to dream big and no matter what dream it is, it's if you believe it, you can achieve it. So you just got to work hard and get around the right people and just you know, have hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, Okay, So there was a whole career before the chapter that you're in right now, and then I was also reading you went down an academic pathway there for a while, doing a Bachelor of Science and a diploma in nutrition, and then that led you to working as a pt and there was a stint on Australia Need You Worry You? So? Where did that sit alongside Justice Crew? And how did I mean, how did you go from that back to music and entertainment? How did it all happen?
Speaker 1: Where did that fall into the story. Yes, so me and my brother. I always bring my brother because you know, we're twins and we did everything together. But if I just assumed that he's part of my story. We did sports. That was our way of kind of finding our place. We were fast runners. We felt like we were naturally quick, and you know, we played sports and I felt like, yeah, we're good at that, and that was kind of People would love to see us race each other and you know, win races, which was really cool. And you know, through school we did a bit of training. Outside of school. We were very successful in the athletics scene. I would say, you know, making a state at a national level through high school was an achievement for us and we weren't bringing no money, but we were bringing the gold medalsil metals that that was good enough. And you know, through training, when we used to train, we used to do you know, sports like long jarm, triple jump, high jump, and you know with high jump, there were these mats that you could learn to do backflips and front flips on too, So we used to do that at training, and we used to try to just flip our bodies around and that's something we did because we had a lot of energy, and that kind of opened us up to the idea of you know, breakdancing and dancing. And our older brother who is full Filipino by the way, it's on my mom's had a son before she had me and my brother, so we had an older brother that was full Filipino that was always dancing and would always pull us in the room and get us to learn these dance routines that we didn't really we weren't really interested in at the time. You know, this is early high school, and I think we didn't realize that that was kind of opening us up, like introducing us to the idea of dance and break dance and performance. So that was kind of the way we kind of got into Justice Crew. At high school, we formed a group we were called the Athletes.
Speaker 2: I was going to say the athletes.
Speaker 1: We all loved sports, but we were a group of friends and we all kind of did different sports like rugby, athletics, soccer, you know, and we also love dance. So we started learning dance through lunch breaks. We weren't out, you know, we're having lunch, but we went into the theaterret at school and we taught each other and we started putting together dance routines just for the fun of it, and we used to you know, film it and make the mixes ourselves. And we actually ended a competition outside of school that we were like, you know, I think we're good enough to go into a dance competition we called Groove, which is that Blacktown and you can kind of enter and put there's battlegrounds and things like that where you compete, and that was kind of the first introduction to dancing for us. And we did it for fun, for a bit of a laugh and yeah, so that was the first performance that we kind of did from school. So about year nine year tenant school.
Speaker 2: I had no idea that you guys just self taught in your lunch breaks and then went on to become.
Speaker 1: That's what we did. That's how it started. And I think from that because we didn't take we took it seriously, but not that serious that it was consuming our whole life. But we did it because we loved it. And we met another group at this competition. They were called Psalms and they were break dancers. So me and my brother and this group called Psalms we formed Justice Crew and that's where we kind of connected and we started a new group from that because we kind of you know, we built a relationship and friendship from this, and that's where Justice Screw was born.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's such an incredible story because I'm sure there are a lot of kids who kind of get together with their friends and like anyone who's creative, we all, you know, I was a dancer as well, and I've done but jillion concerts for half my neighborhood, and you know, that's part of it, is like teaching yourself routines and kind of performing. But not many people go on from that structure and just playing around and enjoying themselves to like aria chart topping songs, Top ten singles, ARIA Award nominations, and to like a full time career. So what do you think was the difference for you? And what happened to your nutrition Sports Science PT career alongside that?
Speaker 1: Like that came in a bit later.
Speaker 2: Okay, so another whole chapter's.
Speaker 1: Yea, So I'm trying to narrow it down. Like as much as I don't like to talk, I've always got a lot. There's a lot of story in there, but I kind of skip past and I kind of jump through just to kind of make it as relative as possibly you can kind of keep interested. But so basically after we formed Justice Group, this was kind of leading up to after school, so we formed this new group called Justice Crew, which we ended up going to Las Vegas to compete the World Hip Hop Chaps because we wanted to kind of you know, put ourselves on a big platform. So like being self taught and going into that, I think we didn't have that pressure to feel like we needed to do something because we kind of did it because we loved it, and there was no standard I think on our end to say, you know, we've got to complete the Olympics. So if we don't achieve this, our life's over. We just kind of enjoyed it. And I think our group of friends were like minded and we're all self taught, so I felt like there was no expectation on our side of things. But we were just opened to every opportunity that came our way, and we just kind of seized it and just went full blasts with it. And I think one story went to another. So we start off as a high school group, which formed into us a group outside of school, which we ended up going to Australia's Got Talent. Thank you to my mom because she saw an advertisement saying you can win two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and we were just, you know, busking at the time and she said, you guys should go on this TV show. You could win some money. You bring home, bring some money. So, you know, we did Australia's Got and.
Speaker 2: You Want It just quietly for everyone.
Speaker 1: We didn't think we were going to win it. We just wanted to go on TV and do something. But you know, I think the more we did the show, more we started to believe that we could be a contender to win, and which we did win, and then you know, from that Sony Music, you know, approached us and said, do you guys do music? And we said, no, we just dance or we busk. And then we kind of spoke to a few of the guys there and they said, what if you guys dance to your own music in your own music videos? How can will that be? And we said, you know, let's do it. You know, we didn't have the experience behind us. Well, we love to do things and take an opportunity. So we ended up getting signed to Sony Music to film a documentary to lead us to get into studio to work with the best writers and best songwriters and producers to start writing our own music, and we started making our own hit songs, and a few hit songs later, we've got nominations and you know, number one songs with Bum and case Rah and touring America with Pitbull and Kesher and Chris Brown and all these big artists.
Speaker 2: Wild journey, Yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 1: A long journey. But you know, I think that the moral of the story is, you know, the opportunities are, They're all around, and I think just being open minded and just seizing each moment and not thinking too much of it and just kind of taking it and just you know, as long as you enjoy it, there's always something that comes of it. And it's not really obvious sometimes, but what the end goal is.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, I love that so much because I think there's a lot of we just put so much pressure on ourselves to find our passion and be the best and attain success and fulfillment in life. And it's really interesting. You are probably one of the first people I've heard who's had the level of success that you have in such a competitive industry, Like, not many people actually can make careers of the arts, and a lot of people's families kind of dissuade them from doing music and dance because you can't make a career of it. It's too hard, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's rare that someone does get to where you've gotten without waking up when they're five and going I want to be that person. I love that it was almost by accident, like you didn't put pressure on yourself.
Speaker 1: It definitely was. Yeah, I think there's nothing wrong with dreaming big at a young age. I think I actually wanted to be a construction I've actually got an audio tape of me in kindergarten saying I want to build houses when I'm older, and that's totally the opposite of what I'm doing now. And if I think, if I could tell my younger self, you know, you're going to be in the Wiggles. You're watching the Wiggles now, you're going to be Yeah, but I think you're following your journey because as you grow and develop and you see things, you meet people, your idea of success changes, and what your goal was can also change and evolve. And you know, even through Justice Crew, I started getting into fitness and personal training and nutrition. I think being exposed to all that and meeting people and then social media and then all the rubbish that's out there, you kind of want to learn what's true and what's false. So I think that's where I started doing fitness and then learning nutrition and then learning from the experts, and then you know, studying clinical nutrition.
Speaker 2: Oh so that came totally after Justice Crew, like completely.
Speaker 1: After that was a little bit later. Yeah, So after performing and touring, it kind of like I wanted to have something that I can sort of control too that I love to do something for myself. Because we were performing, writing music with a group of guys. You know, everyone has their own little outlets after that to have their own things. So fitness was something that I was always passionate about and I want to kind of learn nutrition, and I started personal training on the side for a little bit to kind of take my mind off touring and music because I want to kind of do this for a little bit. And that was kind of cool to be able to find the time after touring started slow down a little bit towards you know, later twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, and that that's where I started doing personal training and the nutrition coaching as well, before I met Anthony.
Speaker 2: Is that how that happened? Okay, oh my gosh. So again, obviously wasn't a lifelong dream to become a wiggle And then you've gone from a very sort of media, you know, entertainment industry, kind of away from that and then back into it. So how did that all happen?
Speaker 1: I think, like, I believe in the power of the universe, so I think the things are supposed to happen for you. It's supposed to be like that. So I kind of pulled back from the media and touring because we've been doing that since high school. It's all I've kind of known. I've never been in the workforce working nine to five and you know, just just working it and just getting a salary or whatever. I always wanted to do that because I didn't get to do that. So I think there was a part of me that wanted to just be regular. I just want to work and just.
Speaker 2: Just like wear a suit and just sit at.
Speaker 1: A dance exactly. So I thought, you know, peting and something that I could just kind of go, you know, just be a real person. And even like the way I got my clients and stuff like that, I didn't advertise from my social media platforms. It was kind of a bit anonymous, and no one really knew that I was in Justice Schreum until I started training with me and recognized me when they met me in person. So I think that was kind of an organic way to just work a bit. So I actually reached out to Anthony for the first time after I got married. We moved into Gladesville and Anthony lives down the road, which I didn't know until we bumped into him and we got to chatting. And obviously I know who Anthony is and everyone does when you see him. And you know, we got to chatting just before COVID. You know, I reached out and I said, you know, if you need a training partner, I'm peeting, so let me know you're up the road. I know you love a bit of fitness, and that kind of opened up the conversation between us through social media. And yeah, one conversation led to an invitation to wiggles HQ to work on a project.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely wild.
Speaker 1: It is wild and it is so cool. By the way, he's the coolest guy. You're mate, if you get the chab you met Anthony before?
Speaker 2: I haven't, No, I mean obviously have watched in my entire life, but I've never had the chance to meet him. But he seems like just an absolute legend.
Speaker 1: Is of course? Yeah, is there a legend? Is the course? Go You're meet and yeah, it gives everyone opportunities. I'm super grateful that is, you know, give me the chance to get back on stage and perform and travel and to the world and now make a lot of children happy. Yeah, my parents too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I just love that you mentioned that you trust the universe, because I think sometimes when people go through the chronological order of sort of their life. There's a lot of goal set for this, and then I worked really hard and then I positioned myself here and I studied for this, and then there's sort of conversations about luck and timing and stuff. But I just love that sometimes it is just about trusting that you'll move into the house that's three doors down from the person you needed to meet, Like you just know, you never know what's around the corner, and that's the beauty of it. Sometimes we overplan everything exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think everything happens for a reason, and sometimes you find a roadblock in life, like if you tried to move somewhere, or you tried to get that job but you didn't and something failed. I think that's all supposed to happen, and you only kind of realize when you look back. You realize that's why I did that, That's why that happened, and this is why this happened, and that's why I'm here today. So I think everything is supposed to happen the way. So thank you universe looking out for me, my spiritual guide.
Speaker 2: So before we get into what life as a wiggle, you know, looks like and everyone watches you guys from like the finished product, but I'd love to hear a little bit more about what it looks like behind their scenes. And as you're preparing to become a parent, it's such an exciting time in your life. But just going back to the idea that you know, now it's a lot better, and I'm sure the landscape has improved a lot, but sort of you Justice Krue was on Australia It's Got Talent around twenty ten and that was a very different time in the landscape. There were you know, not as many diverse faces on our TVs competing in competitions, not just reality TV but all media. I feel like representation for not just Asian Australians, but all cultures was a lot less of a priority in the media. What has your experience been from that perspective as an Asian Australian in the media and in this industry, and you know that spanned decades as well, You've kind of been there over a time where it's changed. But even back in childhood, have you ever experienced any racism? Were you ever bullied in that sense? Because I think it's just as important to talk about the barriers and the challenges we face on our journeys as it is the good times when things go well.
Speaker 1: I think going back to, you know, my childhood, having those real low expectations and kind of growing up with brothers and sisters, and I had a twin brother there all the time, so I always had someone that looked like me. Yeah, almost too much like me. But you know, you're going through school, like I think, because twins were, I felt like they weren't as common or especially where I grew up, so going to school, even in KINDI one, you two, we were like everyone wants to play with the twins.
Speaker 2: And we were kind of like you're a novelty.
Speaker 1: We were a bit like a novelty. So I felt like we were almost different in a sense because we were twins already that we almost were that novelty. But as I said, like I had a great time growing up, Like I didn't get experience bullying. I don't really look like a typical, you know, like a minority in any sense, because like people will look at me today and think, I don't know where you're from, or they didn't realize that I'm Filipino. Me and my brother were so proud to be Filipino. Like growing up, we had such a good relationship with our aunties and our family, and we just we wanted to almost be more of the minority side of it because it just felt like it was a bit different. Like it was like my first tatoe was like the Filipino son. So I drew that myself and I got that tattooed on there. Oh you know, a tatto on my chest that says money while I which means believe. And I think this. I don't know if it's something maybe my mom did or my older brother who was out something was like our idol growing up, and to see him, he's pretty dark, so he's he'd be considered a black Philippine. He caught himself Blazian. I don't know if that's a real turn, but he's, you know, growing up like and that was our idol, and I felt like someone like that was, you know, I would say, he's kind of a dark Asian with someone that we want to be. And I think for me and my brother, we always we want to dance like him, we wanted to rap like him, we want to go to the gym. It'd be big like him and his friends that that was something that we looked up to, and I feel like we felt a sense of belonging in that and because we had sports, I think sports really also helped us fit in in a way that kind of made us, you know, not like we're good at sports, so you can't bully us. So I don't know, it just felt like we had that, you know, I don't know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, sport is such a great leveler and can transcend other differences that might otherwise kind of act as more of a division between people. It's such a uniting thing.
Speaker 1: Just want to look back at it. I think, you know, I think it was probably more of the sense of like how circumstance was, you know, because we were considered poor. I think that was probably more of the part that we kind of hit from a lot of people that we didn't really kind of advertise that, you know, we had to eat you know, meat pires that were like you buy a pack for two dollars, then we just had to heat that up and we just brought that for lunch. And I think like that was kind of something that we weren't too proud of. But now that I'll look back, you know, be proud of it. Little Johnny. Yeah, it's just who cares like, you know, but it's just at that time you think of it, you didn't bring people over to your house or you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so interesting and I'm so it's so great to hear that you didn't experience any racism in your school years or or sort of along the way. Would you say, has your cultural heritage ever been an obstacle in terms of your career? Has it ever been something that stopped you getting an opportunity?
Speaker 1: Do you think if I was to just be honest, I think because we didn't look like typical like you know, people didn't know where we were from that would just see us, you know, like me and my brother, like even Laven today, I don't really get that people would say you're Filipino.
Speaker 2: Yeah already I would.
Speaker 1: Have to say it, like because you know, like sharing my mom through my social platforms kind of allowed I didn't want to say everyone, look I'm yeah. I thought like if you just say, if you saw my mom and how we grew up and this was what was looking after us and raising us, like we grew up like you know, in the Filippino household, which is how there, So I think having that, yeah, that was our experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really interesting. My husband is half Singaporean and he's very similar to you. He looks sort off, you can't tell in Italy, he looks Italian in like the Middle East, he looks Middle Eastern like, he's quiet. It's only like Singaporean women who go, I know you're half Singaporean, but most people can't tell. And so yeah, he's found that he hasn't experienced any sort of racial discrimination in his older age, but when he was younger, he looked a lot more Asian and he grew up in country Tazzy, so's a lot less multicultural back then. So he found more in childhood, but now not so much, which is yeah, which is fascinating. So the Wiggles chapter, So since twenty twenty one, you have been a purple Wiggle. What is it like? What is it like knowing that you were gracing the households of an entire nation and overseas and bringing joy to like a younger generation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really cool job. Like I'm actually like so proud and so privileged and grateful, to be able to call myself a Wiggle And I think growing up with the Wiggles, you just you see them as you know, they're international stars. This is this is like the Beatles for children or you know, this is like everybody knows the Wiggles.
Speaker 2: You are literally the Beatles for children. That is literally what you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's still bizarre to me, but it feels like the coolest job in the world. And you know, I would walk around and almost feel like Clark Kent, like when you see little kids and stuff walking with their parents you think like, oh, I have no idea like that. I'm like, I'm like Superman like undercover, like because I'm kind of in disguise when I'm not wearing like purple outfits. But it's the coolest job in the world. And to be able to bring joy to families and write music and be able to perform and you know, it's bizarre and totally grateful for it. Love it. It's indescribable.
Speaker 2: It's really cool that you mentioned you wanted to be a power Ranger when you were younger, which was like a superhero based on a color, which is kind of what the Wiggles are. You're a superhero based on a color. I know you kind of did end up getting there, and I think that's what goes through my head.
Speaker 1: You know, we get to play ourselves as the Wiggles and that's the cool part about you know, like Anthony and the guys there, and they kind of bring out your personality through your character and I'm not playing like big strong John. It's like, I love my fitness, I love nutrition, I love to be athletic. So that's my personality showing through my character. And I think it's almost an essense of a power ranger or a superhero, and I think that's what I'm kind of trying to portray through a Wiggles character. Even though the Wiggles were the you know, Greg Murray, Jeff Anthony, directly, Donalds or that's what I grew up with, it's a different area and now as a diverse wigl so it's a bit different. The next generation are growing up watching the current Wiggles as their original Wigel. So if you look at it like that doesn't feel as imposter syndrome as what I felt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what would your day look like? Like? Do you guys, how much do you rehearse together. How much you do you Yeah, you mentioned you're writing music when you're writing songs together? And is always all of the Wiggles together or do you go off and do some solo things like I often see you with Sahai and like you're doing things kind of in groups. How does it all work? And do you ever get days off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we definitely get days off. I think that's important in any role. But you know, this job, you'd call it a job, you call it a do you just become a wiggless But you know, a day in the life, it's always different. There's no two days the same. If we're not touring and traveling, we're in the studio and we're writing music, we're recording music, or we're filming TV series, or we're filming social media TikTok or Instagram videos. But there's always something going on. And for example, today I'm not in Wiggle down today, I'm heading off to Canberra for some shows tomorrow, risking there. Hopefully my wife doesn't for you know, give it doesn't break over a night. But you know, like in no two days are the same. So if we're not traveling, we're in the studio or you know, we're doing different projects. We're always working on a different project every day. Yeah, So before I joined the Whigs in I'd always wonder what they'd be doing on a daily basis, Like you'd watch them on YouTube on ABC and you'd see the shows and you'd see them touring, but you wonder what the day in the life of was like. And now I kind of get to see firsthand what goes on. And there's always something happening and it's it was like chaos, but it's like a controlled chaos, and there's always something. There's like someone coming in asking for this, and someone can you come and do this quickly? And then we've got to quickly write this. And now we've got a new album that's seen this, and now we've got to get this done. But we'll stop that, but we'll go into the studio and we'll film this on green screen and we've got to put you know, film this TV show. And now we've got this guest coming in and we're going to film with this person. Now we're off to Melbourne tomorrow to do you know, it's just always something like that and it's not crazy, but it's crazy good love. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's was kind of why it was such a big question for me, because I think there are so many people listening who feel like they know you, Like you're in our houses and we spend so much time watching you perform. We know your body language and we know like, yeah, parts of your persona. But it is kind of like, well, what are you guys doing in between? Yeah, you're rocking around in your purple outfit, Like do you have other clothes?
Speaker 1: You know, I know, there's a lot going on, and it takes a while, you know, to put all these things together. And this year we put I think we had nearly forty hours of content. We had to write, record, and film them all, and that's like a lot of planning. In some days we'd get through, Like when I was in Just Screw, we'd take a day or two to film a video clip for a song. We're at the Wiggles, who might film eight video clips recorded and filmed, and we'd choreograph on the spot. So when the cameras all set up, we're in the where we're going to film it, and we're going, this is what we're going to do, and we'll do this. It's almost like filming a TikTok. You're kind of work it out there in that ten minutes you've got and then okay, we'll go and then we'll go for a take, and then we're going for a close up and that song's done, and like half an hour, oh, prefare the next one, and just we just keep going through songs like that just so quick you learn to learn something and forget it and just keep going.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't kind of sit on it for oh my gosh, everything you watch on TV, it's like done there and then then planned on the day, So whatever you're thinking on the day, it's very freshly creative.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I didn't know that you guys like choreograph on the spot and that it wasn't all completely planned out for you already.
Speaker 1: Like there is a bit of planning and you know the shots are got to do and how going to do it. But they're definitely the dancing and the in the structure and everything that you see, even what we're wearing is kind of on the floor.
Speaker 2: What's amazing. Oh wow, I love that. I love that you get so much like creativity in the role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely because creativity. It can be creative, but a lot of creativity just comes to you. When it comes to you. Ideas just appear. You can't overthink something too much. I think it's just has to be a natural, especially with creativity.
Speaker 2: I don't know what do you make of I think it was like around twenty twenty three, what are you and Jesse, your beautiful wife and soon to be baby mama? What do you guys make of you becoming the sexy wiggle that now? Like I was watching an American TikTok the other day, just out of the blue, like didn't even hadn't googled or anything, and it was this whole bit about how this guy comes downstairs and the Wiggles are on and he's like, yeah, it's on like seven different platforms, and I was like, oh my god, that's John. It was like totally unrelated to anything Australian, and it just it was like, yeah, he comes downstairs and his wife is suddenly watching the Wiggles a lot. Does it blow your mind? How do you guys feel about it? It must be such a weird feeling.
Speaker 1: It's definitely wild. Like I don't know how to feel about it. I guess the Internet can turn anything into something totally and you just got to kind of embrace it. And it is kind of cool. And I think these people, a lot of the Americans, especially those videos that come out of America, they grew up watching The Wiggles, and they know the Wiggles as the original guys right back in the nineties early two thousand and then when they see and think Wiggle and they see my face and they see my tattoos out and they're thinking, well, what's going on here? And I think it's intriguing for a lot of people. And that's kind of what I make of it. It's definitely very interesting, and I guess it just reminds everybody and the Wiggles are still here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're evolving, We're modern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're evolving, you exactly. And I think it's kind of cool. And it's reaching a different demographic a lot of them that definitely they've got families and kids of their own, or most of them do, or they will want. So I think it's a positive thing and it's going to spread more good quality entertainment and education out there because, you know, the Wiggles, that's what we love. The Wiggles for been around for thirty two years, providing good quality entertainment, and I think that's what we love. And I'm going to be, you know, putting my child in front of the Whigls.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I know, I can't even imagine what it must feel like having grown up with the Wiggles. Knowing that you're going to have a child who will grow up with watching you as a wiggle That's so cool. But that kind of makes me think of Obviously, I think we in the old school days, we think of the Wiggles as just like you know, hot potato like songs for children to keep them entertained. But I think social media has allowed you all to become characters that lend your voices to lots of different things that you want to teach the leaders of tomorrow, Like you can all be passionate about things other than just music and song and dance. And yeah, I think it's beautiful that social media allows you to have your personas outside of just the Wiggles content. And one of the things that I've been reading about is that you've got an amazing partnership with Hello Fresh. So Nick and I've been Hello Fresh customers for many years. It's not only been really convenient, very time saving, particularly since having a child, like it's you'll appreciate it a million times more. But one of the things you've been working on is this crazy problem that we have in Australia with waste that we've been producing. I think it's like seven point six million tons of food waste. You know, that's just one of the messages that you've been lending your voice to teaching kids earlier about better waste habits. So can you tell us a bit about the partnership that you have and all the you know, the online resources that you've been making aren't just Wiggles but also climate.
Speaker 1: Superstars, still helping children. But you know, like me and Jess have been using heather Fresh for a while and it's like it's something. When we got married, we moved in and like most young people go, you know, we were going to cook every single night, and we're gonna we're going to host dinner parties and do everything. And we soon, like not that long after that, we realized we started cooking the same things, and we started getting lazy, and we started buying lots of ingredients and doing all this stuff and stocking our pantry and a lot of it did go to waste. And you know, we did find HelloFresh not that long after that, and we thought, you know, this is exactly what we wanted. We wanted something that was easy to follow, It was healthy, We felt like we were cooking it, we were also learning, and everything was like pre portion. Everything we opened up was just like you just use that whole thing. You put that whole thing, and you just cut that whole banana up, or you cut that whole sweet potato. And we thought there was like you know, managing all the waste and we weren't throwing away a lot and it was just everything went out one bag and we threw it out and it was easy and it felt like We love HelloFresh And I think as soon as Hellafresh reached out recently and said, you know, we're going to put together this Climate Superstars camp with Cool Bean's Academy and we want to help you know ed you gate parents and children about you know, food sustainability, like would you be on board? And I was just like, of course, I'm working with children, you know, I love Hello Fresh? Why not? So it just felt natural. It was a fun, little, fun little day of filming creating you know, resources that parents can use that teach you about how you can use leftovers and make art out of different you can use tumeric to paint pictures and things like that, and freezing your food. So there was a fun day and you know, there's a whole bunch of resource booklet that you can download on on the hell of Fresh website. So it was something fun to do and something that I felt, you know, why waste food? My mum's from the Philippines when we went over there, and if they found out that nearly every Australian was throwing away five hundred dollars worth of food every year just because it was the leftover or it was just overused, oh my gosh, like you wouldn't understand. We went over there and we shared like biscuits and stuff and then save like at one point two five litter coke for special guests and we're just you know, pouring it on the floor, just no electricity, just sharing that. So I think when you put into context in that sense, it's so important in a country like Australia, especially where we're we've got abundance of food and options and things like that. You just it's good to think twice and educate the next generation too, hopefully, you know, don't waste food. It's people really value it in some countries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy that that's statistic about the five hundred dollars. I was quite surprised, and it's amazing to see that you've been able to use your platform for the messages that now you know will also be for the future of your little one. How are you feeling about being a dad? Do you have everything set up?
Speaker 1: I can't wait. We've got the nursery set up. Even though we're not using the nursery for you'd probably know, like you don't use that much a year, it'd be sleeping, very sleeping. But you know, we're excited. We're so pumped and just as healthy. That's the main thing. And you know, it's looking to be a big baby.
Speaker 2: Out of that.
Speaker 1: The measurements are getting the seventy percent of you know, it's and just as like since she's quite little, but you know, she's confident. She can't wait, she almost she tells me she can't wait to feel labor. She just like wants to just feel it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wow, what a weapon.
Speaker 1: No, she says that now she's a strong girl, and I think she'll probably manage it. She's got a good pain threshold. But you know, you'd probably know. I don't know if you did, what your process was and how you manage it all. But everybody says it's a day to remember, and you know, we're definitely excited and grateful to be here and expecting our first little boy.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a little boy.
Speaker 1: Oh congratcha, Yeah, we can't wait.
Speaker 2: Oh, little boys are the best. They're just it will absolutely rock your world in the best way possible. It's like the hardest and best thing you'll ever do. And it's funny. I think you will go back and listen to conversations. You'll listen and watch TV and watch snippets of you and the person you are before your child, and you won't recognize that person once he arrives. It's just like you can't imagine a world without them. It's so interesting. I can't wait. I'm so excited for you. It's really special time.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited. Yeah. I was saying to Jess this morning, we're walking and I was saying, you know, like inn lesson to weeks, like we're going to have another person here. We've been thinking about it for a long time, you know, going to the old pregnancy. We feel like it's in the future, but it's actually so close that our life is about to change for the better. And just yeah, we're so ready. We couldn't be more pumped. But you know, I'm ready for the sleepless nights and the dad bring it on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, you can't get it. You're the thirsty wiggle like you can't get a dad bond mate. That's not good for your image.
Speaker 1: I think I think the big Strong John title is a blessing in disguise. I'm meant to stick to, you know, keeps you accountable. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Are you taking any time off? Are you taking any leave?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like all the necessary time required, and that it's such a good team at the Whigs. They're just you know, they're super supportive. And whatever time I need to take, it's it's quiet a time this time of the year. You know, we've got a few shows the Cows and Domain and there's I think our last show is just before Christmas time. So whatever time I need to take, I wanted to take it like at least two weeks off minimum to be there for just and you know, support and be a dad and just be there in the first few moments. So I'll definitely take that time to you know, really embrace fatherhood parenthood.
Speaker 2: Oh well, congratulations. I'm so excited. I was about to say, what's next for you, but I mean, obviously parenthood is the next chapter and that kind of takes up a lot of a lot of energy, mental energy, physical energy. And how exciting to have a little one for Christmas.
Speaker 1: I know, we can't wait. We've got little stockings already with his name embroidered on there, which we won't announce yet, but we've ordered them.
Speaker 2: You've chosen. Oh my gosh, ah, that's so special. Well, it'll be a magical time ahead for you guys, and my love to Jesse as well. And thank you so much for the chat and for the joy that I know you will bring. I mean, Teddy, as I said, isn't quite wiggles obsessed just yet. But the minute it happens, I'm going to text you and just be like any thank you for the public service that you guys do for parents and families everywhere.
Speaker 1: Sarah when Teddy's old enough, you know it can be having played theres with our little son together.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, obviously he can get lots of use out of this purple jumper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got a good year and a half left to grow into that for growth out of it stretch.
Speaker 2: Oh, John, thank you so much, and I'm congratulations.
Speaker 1: No worries, Thank you, Thanks for having me. This is fun.
Speaker 2: Well, Teddy hasn't quite entered his Wiggles era just yet, but I'm sure there will be so much Wiggles action going on in our household before we even know it. He looked so cute in his little purple suit. I don't know if you guys saw it on Socials, but we sent John a little photo and oh my goodness, it was so cute. It's been such a wild but wonderful year, and John has so much to look forward to when he becomes a parent imminently at any moment. Now, what an amazing way to finish off a fabulous year. It's been such a rollercoaster. We slowed down when Teddie was born. We've now built up to some wonderful momentum. It's so nice to be back, and I hope you guys have enjoyed some of the fabulous guests we've had over the past couple of weeks. If you do want to follow along more of what John's doing, if you don't already, I'm sure many of you already do. His Wiggles page is at John Underscore Wiggle. His personal page is at John Pierce, or of course you can follow the Wiggles. There's also the Wiggle Talk podcast. And we did also cover the incredible service that is HelloFresh that is just so game changing when you're time for and tired but still want to eat really well and you know, really reduce your wastage when you're preparing food at home. So I'll include the link to that as well in the show notes. In the meantime, Oh my gosh, I can't believe the next time that we're back it will be twenty twenty five. That sounds so crazy and foreign and exciting and amazing. At some point we will do a year rap or a news Resolutions episode with the big news that came from and I'm not sure when that will be, but we will get it in your ears eventually. We're taking a two week break just to give your ears a little rest and recoup, spend some time with the family, enjoy the festive season. I hope you guys have a wonderful festive season and New Year, no matter how you choose to spend it or what you choose to celebrate. And I hope that over the next couple of weeks you are seizing your yay we will be back next year.
Speaker 1: St.