Speaker 1: I think young people are having to navigate a more racially charged environment than potentially my generation had to. I think we've made real progress, and all of a sudden we've come to things like the referendum and we seem to have stepped backwards as a nation, particularly in terms of what we're exposed to through media.
Speaker 2: So while I don't.
Speaker 1: Actually believe that we have more people who are racist in Australia than we've ever had before, what I do feel we have is more exposure to events of racism.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm a shiny Dante and this is but are you happy? In this episode, we're joined by Associate Professor Clinton Shules, director of First Nation Strategy at the Black Dog Institute. Clinton is a Gamill roy Man, a registered psychologist and a leading voice in Indigenous mental health. This week is natof Week, Australia's national celebration of Aboriginal and tourist Strait Islander peoples, their history, cultures and achievements. It felt important for us to take this moment to have a deeper conversation about First Nations mental health and to better understand how everyday racism and systemic bias can impact wellbeing for Aboriginal and tourist Straight Islander people. In this conversation, we explore the importance of culturally safe, community led approaches to care and what it means to support well being in ways that are respectful and grounded in lived experience. We also talk about how listeners, both First Nation and non Indigenous, can play a role in reducing harm in their own communities. Before we begin, we want to thank Clinton for sharing his knowledge and experiences with us. We acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we recorded this podcast, and pay our respects to elders past and present. Here's our conversation. Thank you so much, Clinton for joining us on today's episode. I also want to say something that I don't usually say at the beginning when I have a guess that comes on. And I also just want to say thank you for the work that you do as well. I feel like it's really really needed. I don't know why I'm getting emotional at the beginning of this, but here we are. Yeah, just like it means, it's amazing just what you do, and it actually gets me thinking a lot about Wow, it takes a certain person to do the work that you do, and what I'm actually curious about is to hear more about your story, you know, like, what is it that what was your upbringing?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, Yamagabiyada and gabnindos Hi and yeah, thank you. You know, it means a lot to know that there's people out there that to recognize the importance of, you know, the work that so many of us are trying to do in the social motion wellbeing space at present, particularly given the tough times that we seem to be continually trying to navigate. So I really do appreciate that. Yeah, my story is pretty interesting, particularly how I ended up in this field of psychology and the broader sociomotion of wellbeing space.
Speaker 2: You know, I.
Speaker 1: Guess I'll start all the way back in my childhood because it really stems from there, and you know, I kind of I experienced a lot of abuse from when I was about the ages of five to fifteen, and I probably didn't cope with that abuse in the most positive ways, and I guess I was recognized as as a delinquent, you know, by the time I was a teenager, and then by the time I was sort of fifteen, and definitely by sixteen, you know, I was CouchSurfing and had left home and had basically turned to drugs and alcohol as a way of trying to navigate the experiences of trying that I'd had, And it took me a really long time to figure out that all that was doing was creating further trauma, both for myself and those that actually did care about me and did love me. So it was a long learning journey, but in that space of time, I guess both fortunate and unfortunate at the same time.
Speaker 2: It was a bit of a double edged sword.
Speaker 1: I was extremely high functioning throughout that whole period, so I still managed to do high school by correspondence, to complete a chef's apprenticeship, to work in some of the best restaurants both here in Australia and then to move overseas and to work in some really well known restaurants in the UK and other parts of Europe as well. And it was in that period while I was overseas that I really started to reflect on what I wanted to do when I came home. I made a decision that I definitely didn't want to continue in the hospitality issue, in the hospitality sort of space, and that a lot of the issues that I was continuing with were being driven by hospitality and the pressures of that space and the habits of that space. So I knew I wanted to disconnect myself from that lifestyle and do something different, but I really didn't know what or how. But I'd started to write up, I guess a bunch of programs that I thought would be beneficial to other young people that may have gone through similar things to me, similar life experiences and maybe turned to similar negative coping strategies in that period, and thought, there must be a way that we can help young people to just stay passionate and connected to the things that they really love. And as a young Aboriginal person, unless you were good at sport, there wasn't many opportunities for you when I was a young fella. So you know, if you played football or you could run fast, then yeah, you probably had a few avenues in front of you to at least help you through high school and maybe into a professional sort of sport career post that.
Speaker 2: But if you were into the.
Speaker 1: Arts, or if you're into academia or anything else really outside of sport, your options were limited. So I really wanted to be able to come back and help young people to stay connected to and maintain that passion they had with whatever it was that they were.
Speaker 2: Good at and that they cared about.
Speaker 1: And I came back to Australia and I started hitting up some large organizations with these programs that I'd written up, and I got really positive feedback.
Speaker 2: It was like, these programs are great.
Speaker 1: But what's your qualification?
Speaker 2: And every time I'd say, well, mate, I'm a chef.
Speaker 1: And they basically just go, well, what the hell has that got to do with these programs that you've brought us and presented. And I'd say, well, nothing, but I've got a lot of lived experience, you know, I've been one of these kids and I've managed to make a go of it for myself in the chefing space, and I think I've got something to offer. And they all just said, yeah, that's great, but come back when you've got a qualification saying that you are capable of doing this. Okay then, And I took myself off to Griffith University and went into the Aberage on to on a student support center there, and I went and met with a couple of arnies there and I just was like this is kind of what I want to do, what do I need to study? And they just started writing out all these different programs on a piece of paper, and it just started to confuse me, to be honest, so I kind of just looked at the piece of paper, started swirling my finger and I just threw it down on something and here I am. I ended up in psychology and saw that through and yeah, the rest is gone to continued history From there, I did my honors with Griffith University, completed my PhD. At Griffith University. I worked in the space of aberage on to show on a social most well being as an academic and as a practitioner for the last two decades.
Speaker 3: Now, Wow, that's incredible, and it's really amazing because like what I'm hearing in it as well is that I feel like some of the greatest people is their ability to be able to turn pain into their purpose. And that's what I'm kind of hearing in your story as well, which is really beautiful, and also just recognizing the hardships that you went through as well, so really honoring you on your journey as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Know. I was fortunate enough to have the right people at the right times to help me get through that. And so that's something I'm really passionate about today is being able to hopefully be that person for others help them to see a different path. And you know, that's required me to make some big changes in my life. So you know, I had to. I had to reflect on that period and go, well, the drug and alcohol abuse that may have been helping me to run from the trauma wasn't actually helping with it, and so I didn't want my children to sort of learn those same habits. And we live on the Gold Coast that most people recognize as party central, and so I had to make an active decision that if they were going to have the opportunity to learn something different, the only way to sort of bring that about was for me to create it in our own chaos and sort of start from there. So, yeah, the last thirteen years been sort of straight and sober and trying to do my best to deal with my traumas in more positive ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, congratulations. It's amazing as well, because I think you spoke to you mentioned the right people at the right time. And what I'm curious about as well is like, how has culture and community helped to reclaim and strengthen your identity since then, because it sounds as you said, it was this long journey for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, culture has been the main thing to keep me on track and to get me back on track in you know, anything that I've tried to achieve, and particularly the last fifteen.
Speaker 2: Years of my life.
Speaker 1: It's you know, we've had such strong fundamentals as Aboriginal peoples for we'd say since a double of Bitu. We so the beginning of time on how to be in a good relationship with ourself other in place across time, and we've tended to sort of sway away from those a little bit, and we you know, colonization has done a good job of trying to push us away from those at times. But I think we're in a time now where we've got this wonderful opportunity to be able to reconnect, relearn, reconnect and to look at how do we use those old principles that kept us well for so long, and how do we use those in today's systems and societies to keep us strong and deadly moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And it's actually really interesting like hearing more about the things that you're doing in the present day moment or what you believe is missing. You know, you're the director of the first Nations Strategy Black Dog Institute, which is incredible. Love to hear more about the work that you do there as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm really fortunate to have the job that I do and to be able to work with such a wonderful organization like the Black Dog Institute. The people and the passion there is just palpable. You know, people are there because they care about what they do. We're not the highest paying workplace on the planet, but you know, we're driven by passion and I think that's one of the magical ingredients that we've actually got. And we've got some wonderful mind we've got some wonderful skills, we've got some wonderful lived experience knowledges as well that I think, when all brought together, allow us to really look at how do we use research to make change. So we're really passionate about ensuring that we're not just doing research for research purposes in this mental health and broader social motion wellbeing space, that we're doing research for a purpose, that our translation work is just as important as our research work. So nothing is just piece of paper sitting on a shelf and gathering dust that in some shape or form, everything that we're doing from our research is translatable and implementable back into communities and trying to bring around change. So yeah, my little space within there is obviously is the director of First Nation Strategy. And so we've got kind of two arms that we do. We've got our research arm and then we've got how do we turn that into something useful our translation arm. I've got a great team around me. They make me look really intelligent, really capable, far more than i'dea claim to be myself, which is awesome. And I've got full trust in them to do the work that they need to do. So we work really well, and I hope that that's a really good guide for others within our organization about how you can use those elements of trust and empowerment to really have strong and purposeful and productive teams.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, there was something you were saying before around fundamentals, and I actually have heard you speak on a previous interview around how Aboriginal psychology is actually very different to Western psychology. Would love to hear more about that because I find that really fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's massive differences between I guess, Western reflections of psychology and in this case, Abriiginal people's I guess, understandings of a broader notion of social and emotional wellbeing. Why I say in this case is because I actually think this is a human perspective. I don't actually see it as a pure aboriginal terro show one. I think it's just a perspective that more fits for human beings who are being, whereas psychology at times doesn't necessarily look at all the other facets that make us what we are as beings. So you know, everything for us is aboriginal. Torrestraint of people's is based around relationships, and that's those relationships that we first and foremost have with ourselves that allows us to then have relationship with other and other can be people that can be placed, it can be the cosmos, it can actually be the words that we speak. So there is a relationship built into everything, which then helps us to understand what is my role and responsibility, what are the obligations reciprocal that exist within those relationships. So there's a higher call I guess, to being mindful about the impacts of what you choose to create through those processes. And I think that's a really beautiful way to start reflecting on how we can get along better with both ourselves but then with others and everything else around us. So some of the elements that are really important to us and are well documented are things like connection to culture, connection to country, connection to environment nature as well for those that may not necessarily know country because the things that have happened, and connection to our ancestors. To be honest, you know, we again some of the things that hold us well in who we are and in our overall well being, and things that psychology would suggest are unreal or not present. You know, I'm well documented for telling people that I spend a lot of my time talking to dead people in trees. If I walked into most psychology practices and said I spent a lot of my spare time talking to dead people and trees, they'd probably want to send me off to a psychiatrist and have me medicate it, rather than seeing that as a fundamental piece of my well being.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is so true. And if I mean I love that you do that, I love talking to trees. I mean I love connecting to nature. And it's so funny because I find it so refreshing, yet it is so important, like we've lost touch of the things that are so important. So I think it's really great that you're really paving the way in a way which is sad because it should be a way that you need to pave in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent agree. And you know, some of the best lessons I'd've had in my life have just come from things in nature that most people spend their days just walking past or would never bother to spend the time to and allow themselves to learn from. I think you know, at times, as human beings, and particularly within Western societies, we've allowed ego to get in the way of us actually seeing ourselves as part of We see ourselves as more than and that's led to this disconnect and our inability to really allow ourselves to learn from from the everyday lessons that exist around us in nature.
Speaker 3: So true. And I actually have heard you talk about this previously around how psyche what actually? What does psyche actually mean? And I found that so interesting and I really want you to tell our listeners because I thought that was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if we really take it back to Latin. You know, when we're talking about psyche, we're actually talking about the spirit, where we're not actually talking about the mind. So the field of psychology and its essence should be about maintaining the spirit rather than fixing mental ill health or maintaining mental health. So that's I guess the reflection that I use and the work we do. And it's a common sort of understanding or theme amongst average on torres straight on to people, you'll more commonly hear us talking about having a broken spirit than you will us talking about feeling mentally unwelled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so true. So what do you think mainstream mental health systems still misunderstand most?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: I think the biggest divide that we actually have, and it's not just in the mental health space, it's in I guess, the societal different space, and that's that we live in one of the most individualized nations in the world, being Australia. We're ranked as the second most individualius nation in the world. People can look that up on the Hofsteed website. We have been there for several decades. We're about third, and then we bumped up to second more recently and then, so we've got a whole bunch of people living in Australia who function through a very individualistic lens of how to be, and we have a whole bunch of systems that have been created through that lens. So that has inherently led to a whole bunch of epistemic discrimination existing in our systems that impact on people who come from collective as based societies. And we're in a situation in Australia where we have all these Aboriginal to Shade Islanders societies here groups within Australia who we all come from some of the most collective based societies known globally. So there's an inherent conflict just in that that I think as an Australian nation we're still struggling to sort of overcome. And I think we're another space that we're getting better at. But I think we've got a history of working in the space of ill health rather than allowing ourselves to work in the space of health and well being, and there's a corporatization that's kind of happened around that. But I think we are improving in that and it's great to see.
Speaker 3: And when you mean by there's a corporatization around that. Can you share more about that? What do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, if I really reflect on situations within developed countries and you look at the things that are really driving our ill health and despair, they're things that we generally accept as being normal parts of our life. So we create these situations where people have better access to unhealthy food than they do healthy food. We create situations where people put in positions where both parents have to work full time from when their children are really young, which creates situations of disconnect between children and older people and other generations. We have at the other end of that scale, we have an aged care system leads to disconnect between young people and old people so that generational learning's not occurring. There are things that actually, you know, have been monetized and in their own shape or form, you know, they add to the distress that is being experienced by people within society today. And if we flip that all around, then if we really cared about health and well being, then we'd be looking at how do we increase the the opportunities people have to remain connected to the things that we know keep them well. How do we make sure that people have the opportunities to maintain connections to their family. How do we help increase the opportunities that people have the opportunity to form a strong sense of positive identity as connected to a place and the others within that place. Yeah, and I just don't think we've got there yet.
Speaker 3: More of my conversation with Clinton after this short break. You were talking a bit before around discrimination and essentially when two ways of being can come into conflict when we talk about racism, what kinds of harms are most often missed in public conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think when we're having these discussions around racism and discrimination, we need to be prepared to really take it back to that form of racism that lies within epistemic. So epistemic discrimination is the discrimination that simply exists within thought. So whose thought led to the systems? Whose thought led to what we create as such? And so in an Australian society, you know, we've had one over overarching influence that has led to a whole bunch of policies, procedures, systems, et cetera, et cetera that haven't necessarily been inclusive. And so that's meant that there's a whole bunch of people that they don't necessarily work for. So I think that's where we need to start. We need to really step it back and go, you know, what we see out on the football field, or what we see in the school yard, or what we see in the workplace is in itself inherently a product of what was created back here. So we need to be prepared to look at, well, how do we allow new thought in that can help to then shift systems. And for me, that's about us embracing first nations knowledges.
Speaker 2: You know, we're the oldest.
Speaker 1: Practitioners, environmentalists, business people, artists, whatever you want to reflect on on the planet, and we've got a whole bunch of knowledge there that can be really beneficial to humanity. And I'd suggest that far more of us are wanting to share that than are not. But we want to share when we know it's going to be one respected and two used in the way that it was intended. So that's where I think we need to be doing the work is in terms of how do we bring people forward to ensure that the knowledges that we hold that we think can be beneficial for everybody are going to be respected, are not going to be stolen and used one or potentially against us, or two for individual financial gain in some shape or form, being collective based knowledges. So I think if we allow more First Nations peoples the opportunities to share First Nations knowledges in influential platforms such as this, such as some of the conferences that some people listening to this may have heard me presenting at, I think that's wonderful opportunity to let people dip their toes into thinking about another way of thought.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, I guess my next question is around how does everyday racism accumulate over time and affects the well being for Aboriginal and tour Straight Islander people.
Speaker 1: That's the key word is accumulate, and that really is what is the damaging effect. You know, we all experience discrimination at some shape of form and time in our lives. The difference for many people as compared to others is that the exposure and the experiences are so frequent that you don't have time to process or heal from each one. So for us, as Aboriginal torro Straate Island to people's, our lived experience is one of experiencing individual, systemic, institutional discriminations and racism so constantly that we don't get to heal. So two things come from that. A snowballing effect, whereas it just accumulates and builds up, and we see the damages in terms of people's social emotion wellbeing from that. But the other thing that happens is we build a sensitivity to it. But then we get called out on our sensitivity. People go, are You're just too sensitive? And what we fail to recognize in that moment is sensitivity is a protective factor, Like people build a sensitivity to certain things as a way of being able to recognize it, identify it before it has opportunity to harm. So, yes, we are far more sensitive to racism than some other people in Australia, but that's unfortunately because we're exposed to it more often and we've had to learn how do I identify it before it does more harm than potentially it may. Yeah, and then to get called out on that just drives the circle even further.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and are you able to give some examples of what does that actually look like? Like you mentioned some of these different types of racism just because I'm sure there's people listening in that, you know, really want to be allies in this space for Indigenous people.
Speaker 1: Individual racism is that racism that is projected at individuals or small groups of individuals as such. So as I've mentioned earlier, it could be the stuff that we see in the workplace, or that we hear on the school grounds or on sports fields, whatever it is, where people are being heckled for who they are. Institutional racism is then the racism that is built within institutions. So you know, we know that institutions were created through that certain form of epistemic that has led them to work really well for some people and to not work at all for other people. So institutional racism is the racism that we're exposed to within institutions because of the existence of that. So that might be in the form of certain policies or procedures within the workplace not working for everybody in the workplace. So you might have something like a bereavement process, a bereavement policy in a workplace that suggests you can have two days off or three days off in the event of a immediate family member passing away. You then might have somebody who has had multiple members of their family pass away in a short period of time one because of the heightened risk that is experienced by many group people within that group. So for us, as Aboriginal and torres straded island of people's because of colonization and because of ongoing oppression, we are at heightened risk of experiencing a whole bunch of chronic diseases, a whole bunch of mental health concerns and others that may lead to a greater likelihood of unfortunately, something happening. So then you've got that, so you might you might have then taken multiple times or multiple periods of work because you've had to attend to multiple forms of sorry business, and then you might get questioned about that by your manager. So you might have a manager go, you know, how many aunties can you really have? You've said you've been off for an Artis's funeral three times over in the last three months. I actually had this at a university that I was working at where I had you know, I had someone in a senior position, and that university questioned me about how many grandparents I had because I'd been off for multiple funerals in a short period of time. For people that I recognized as grandparents to me, either through family or culturally, and so that's a form of institutional discrimination. Systemic discrimination then takes that even broader, and it's the discrimination that exists within the systems that then our institutions exist in that we as individuals then exist through as well. So larger systems. Things could be things like the way that certain measures within child safety assessments are constructed in a way that inherently puts or classes Aboriginal children at higher risk than others for no rather reason than they happen to be Aboriginal. That then puts you at an immediate greater risk of removal than non Indigenous people. So that's a systemic racism.
Speaker 3: After the break, we discussed what Nonindigenous Australians should understand about their role in helping create safer, healthier and more supportive well being environments for First Nations peoples. How are young First Nations people coping with the world today, especially post the Voice referendum.
Speaker 1: I think young people are having to navigate a more racially charged environment than potentially my generation had to. I think we've made real progress, and all of a sudden we've come to things like the referendum, and we seem to have stepped backwards as a nation, particularly in terms of what we're exposed to through media. So while I don't actually believe that we have more people who are racist in Australia than we've ever had before, what I do feel we have is more exposure to events of racism, so be that through how it's cast in media, or then how it may be how people are viewing that through social media platforms or being exposed to it through social media platforms, And I think that social media space has led to a constant exposure.
Speaker 2: So for a young person.
Speaker 1: Who may experience racism within school, traditionally they could have tapped out from that when they came home and at least had a little bit of freedom from it, spent time with their family, slept overnight, being able to go back to school. Even if it happened at school the next day, They've still had a slight respite period in many instances. That's not present now because social media is there twenty four to seven, and I think if people are experiencing racism and discrimination and hate speech through those platforms, then they are going to experience it far more frequently than others may around them. And I think there's a damaging.
Speaker 3: Impact to that, absolutely, absolutely, And I guess you know, for any First Nations people listening to this episode who may be struggling with their self worth, identity, and mental health, what would you want to say to them right now?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 1: Look for me, Like, what I really want young people to recognize is you know, your indigenity, your abriginality, whoever your mob is, that part of you is the strongest part of you. It is the most positive, most powerful, most protective thing that you can actually have. And it's something we should hold on to real dearly, because to be honest, it's something that we have that others may never ever experience. You know, others will never experience the connection to country that I have when I go home if they're not from there, and I won't experience that where I live here on corn America Country. It's something we recognize because we have that strong connection to particular place. And I think, you know, at times I feel sorry for people who may never get to have that experience in their life because they're so disconnected from their own histories. You know, a lot of young people today don't even know where their grandparents are from, or their great grandparents, or what the history is that led them their families to be here in Australia. So they don't even have that opportunity a lot of the time to start unpacking and learning about where do I come from? What does that mean in terms of who I am, how I act, what I am or am not comfortable with in my life. So yeah, I and it's the same again when I go out to remote communities. Know, like I think sometimes out there young people out in those remote communities get so fixated on what they think they're missing out on, and I'm always just trying to drag them back to recognizing what they have that city folk just never going to have. They've got freedoms that you can't imagine. You know, I go out to some of these communities, they're riding a horse down the main street, or they're riding them They're riding their motorbikes past the police station, their dirt bikes past the police station. You know, I live out here and tell a Budge Valley, and if me and my kids ride out dirt bikes in the in the big empty forest at the back here, police get called, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's a polar opposite.
Speaker 1: And so I think sometimes we really need to get back to appreciating what is it that I have and how can I turn to that to keep me strong and deadly, rather than allowing myself to get so fixed to what I think I'm missing out on.
Speaker 2: And it's all a perception.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, And I know you've just mentioned about connection to country, but for listeners who may not fully understand what connection to country actually is, how would you explain its role in social and emotional wellbeing.
Speaker 1: So connection to country has been shown through all the research for a long time now to be one of the strongest protective factors to social and emotional wellbeing. You know, you will constantly hear original peoples talking about how when they need to heal, they go home, they go back to country. And I think that's because we've held onto the knowledge that we are what we've come from. I am the dust that makes up my country. You know, it's the made up of the exact same minerals as everything that's on that country. And so when you allow yourself to let go again of the ego and everything that we've been led to believe, it is to be human and just get back to I'm a part of nature and I'm actually a part of that ecosystem right there. There's a real there's a real power in that that allows you to just find a space of silence, silence from all the noise that fills our minds and our spirits in our general life.
Speaker 3: Totally, And it's interesting as well because as you talk about it, I'm like, yeah, it just you know, we have been in this individualistic culture absolutely like what you were talking about before, and if anything, it's way less stressful if we lean into collective ways of being because you're like, oh, I don't need to do this alone. Oh I can actually get support in these really beautiful ways that have obviously have been working for thousands and thousands of years. So yeah, it's just it can constantly confuses me as well.
Speaker 2: Just seen it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so much protective factors in being a member of a collective. Like you just said, You've got other people that you can turn to in tough times. You've got other people that are going to be there to look out for you, to share with you. That comes role in responsibility with that. I've got to be prepared that if I'm in a position where I've had the opportunity to gather more wealth, gather more resources, gather more skills, knowledge, whatever it might be, that I actually have a responsibility to share that around a bit in whatever way I actually can. And I think that's a wonderful thing. There is risk factors that come with it, though, you know, and I mentioned one of those before in terms of unfortunately, when you're connected to more people and more things, you're more likely to experience loss. You know, if I see more people as family, I'm more likely to lose family because there's more people identified in that group. If I see myself as connected to certain animals and all of a sudden those animals habitats themselves are becoming endangered or even extinct, then that's a part of me that goes with that. So there is some risks within it, but overwhelmingly extremely protective.
Speaker 3: So I know, I've heard previously in interviews where you've actually described yourself as someone who has thick skin, and you know you're in a role where you're definitely up against systems and you know in policy changes, how did you develop thick skin?
Speaker 2: For me?
Speaker 1: Developing that thick skin required me to go back and really reflect on the principles of my own law and therefore, what responsibilities do I actually hold given the position I'm in. And you know, as I mentioned at the beginning of this year, and I'm really fortunate to be in the position that I've in. I've had a whole bunch of people that have helped me to get where I am, both here present and those that have come before me. And so if that requires me to just put on another layer and get out there and to have some tough conversations, then for me, it was a choice I had to make. And once I'd made the choice, that allowed me to therefore not take everything as personal, because for me, it's not when I'm out there and I'm having difficult conversations, I'm not out there, and even when people may be saying some and at times very racist things back in terms of you know, some of the topics that I talk about, I don't take it on personally because I see it as a cultural obligation. So that's allowed me to continue doing it. And yeah, and then I think over time that it's like a muscle, right, like the skin at the end of the day's in organ and so if I need to toughen it up, then I've had to be prepared to put myself out there and get in those situations where I have those difficult conversations where I allow myself to go and reflect and to heal from anything that's come from that, to be able to get back in there and do it again. I think that's probably something that we forget, particularly in the field that I work in a lot, is we've been led to believe that self care is selfish rather than you know, we've been led to believe we just need to be there twenty four to seven for everybody, all the time, no matter what.
Speaker 2: Rather than for me.
Speaker 1: Self care is the most important part of being the most effective member of the collective that I can actually be, because if I allow myself to burn out, or if I allow myself to get filled up with negativity and become really despondent with you know, the work I do or the world I live in, then I'm actually not the best version of me for the collective. So yeah, I've just tried to flip everything in terms of how our old peoples have reflected on this, because they went through some morrable things that I'm never going to have to face, and how might they reflect on this and how can I use that to get through whatever the situation might be.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and in those moments where people have said really racist things to you, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Like do you call that out?
Speaker 3: Or do you have to check your safety and your nervous system before you can figure out what to do next.
Speaker 1: I generally have to check my mouth first and foremost, so I have this bad habit for swearing.
Speaker 2: Enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a bit a lot of times when I'm like, are you fing serious?
Speaker 2: Type stuff?
Speaker 1: And I have to like catch myself. Given the forums that I'm in, I have to reword it before it I allow it to escape my mouth.
Speaker 3: You have a different dialogue going on your head. Yeah, yeah, we could say that.
Speaker 1: Look, depending on the situation, there's different ways that I deal with it. Sometimes I actually find it comical. Sometimes I actually feel pity for those that haven't had the opportunity to learn, Like it really depends, like if I'm in a situation where somebody's been and had the opportunity to learn a lot, and they haven't bothered to take that on board and they just remain ignorant. Then I experienced frustration like anybody else in those moments. But if I'm working with people who I can tell a curious but I've never had the opportunity to learn certain stuff, and they've asked me a question that's in their mind, just a question that they want unpacked, I'm not going to allow myself to be triggered by their curiosity. I'm actually going to do what I can to help build their knowledge base and hopefully that then helps.
Speaker 2: Them on their journey moving forward. I think at times again, we.
Speaker 1: Allow our own triggers to potentially get in the way of us helping people on their educational journeys. They're healing journeys, whatever it actually may may be. And I understand why that happens, because, as I said earlier, sensitivity is built through exposure. But I've had the opportunity to learn how do I catch that? How do I reflect on it before I'm so I'm responding, I'm not just being reactional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's really powerful. There was something I actually wanted to talk about because I know we spoke briefly about out where racism shows up in different areas, like across systems. But I think something I'm really aware of is like we do continue to see instances of racism occurring in public spaces, including the heckling and beooing of Indigenous leaders and veterans at separate Anzac Day ceremonies. How do experiences like these affect the mental health of First Nations people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't hide from the fact that these events impact negatively on social emotion wellbeing for Aboriginal entire shown on peoples. There is direct correlation between the experiences of racism that people are exposed to and their overall social emotional wellbeing. And I think the more that these events occur in large public gatherings or in very highly covered through media events, the more exposure actually occurs through that. So more people are actually experiencing these things, which I don't think is necessarily something that we've always had to consider in the past. I think that the only way that you know, as a nation, that we can continue to move forward through this is to really look at how do we build some cohesion, how do we build social cohesion? And for me, that really needs to get back to how can we get back to reflecting on what we have in common rather than having this constant dialogue about how different we are. Yes, my ethnicity, my cultural background is different to other peoples, but I'm a human being and I generally will have the same emotions, the same desires and needs as all the other human beings around me. So I think if we get if we start getting back to a real strong, human rights based framework for moving forward. You know, I was watching the National Press Club today and you know, it was a speech by the Human Rights Commissioner and actually speaking about how Australia has been discussing introducing a Human Rights Act for a period of time now, and I actually see a lot of value in something like that because it would give us a guiding frame in terms of how do we actually need to treat each other as human beings? And that doesn't actually take away from anybody's ethnicity or cultural background or religiosity. It just, if anything, it embraces all the difference and goes, well, how do we take all the difference and make us all stronger together while respecting each other. And so, yeah, I really hope that we can move in that direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm really loving that you're talking about. You know, what's the path forward, How can we be stronger together social cohesion and kind of leads me to my next question of what should non Indigenous Australians understand about their role in creating better wellbeing environments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first and foremost thing that I think Australians need to not just acknowledge, but accept is that colonization is an ongoing process. We don't live in this rainbow's very floss coated society that governments at times like to portray that Australia is a post colonial nation and we've moved on from that and everything's great for everybody now, colonization is ongoing. We know that, Like the referendum was a prime example. You know, if we're still in a situation where we're going to give ninety seven percent of the population the opportunity to vote on what's in the best interest of three percent of the population, that is a colonial process. So we can't escape that we are still doing things that we've done from the past and that continues to have an impact on the social motion well being of us as first nations. People's not just through the systemic and institutional discriminations and the racism, et cetera. But through the ongoing experience of oppression, because we don't have self determination as First Nations peoples. So what we really need is strong allies. We need people to be able to face that. You know, that cold hard fact that everything that is gained in Australia comes at a loss to Aboriginal and terrestraight onland peoples. And if I'm actively a part of that, I have to acknowledge and accept my position within that so that I can reflect on how can I do less damage and look at how do I do some more good? So I try and live my life and I try and encourage others to live through that lens of do less harm, do more good. We can never live doing no harm. The fact that we hear and we're breathing, we're having this conversation. I'm using electricity that's come from coal while I sit here and talk to you right now. There's no point here being here just bagging out the mining industry unless I'm prepared to turn off all my electricity. But I can be far more mindful in terms of how I use it. And they're the type of reflections I think we need to have in more and more instances. So when it comes to racism, it's like, well, I might be able to stop everybody being racist, but I can be far more mindful about how I choose to engage or what I choose to stand up for. Yeah, and I think the more people do that, we'll have this collective swell that'll bring around a positive change.
Speaker 3: I love that language of collective swell. That's essentially what we want to create and having these conversations. So yeah, thank you so much. That's really really powerful. And there was actually something that you mentioned before, and I know you referenced about you connect to law, but it's not law, it's l ore. Are you abo to explain more about what that actually means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for me, I actually would use law, but talking about my traditional law because unfortunately, what I think we've done in Australia again is we've positioned aboriginal law alongside folk law through the use of lore. Like when you consider lore, people automatically think about folk law it's just some stories of the past. They don't actually see the influential purpose and the governance systems and structures that are built into our ways of knowing me in doing through law. So for me, I purposely. Usually, you know, I all purposely position it as law and either call it relational law or traditional law or whatever else, customary law, whatever. But I tend to not use lore because yeah, unfortunately, I think what that automatically does is it positions it as lower in terms of importance, integrity, value than Westminster law, which for me, it doesn't like living my life through my law, which in my language Geria Gamil protects me from Westminster law because it's all based around positive principles of being in good relationship with self other than place across time. Yeah, so you know, how do I understand notions of respect, responsibility, reciprocity, acceptance, connectedness, these things, positions of truth. You know, they're the fundamentals of Dei Gamil. So for me, they're far more of value in terms of guiding the way that I choose to live my life, the way I choose to do my work. And that could be when I'm on my country, when I'm here on Kumba, Maria country, or when I'm in Tokyo. It's still going to protect me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Thank you for sharing sharing that, and also just like thank you so much for this conversation and sharing your experiences, the wisdom and just the stuff that you continue to create, you and your team, the change that you're creating for First Nations people, and also, you know, I really hope this conversation inspires listeners to be stronger allies and really empower the people in their lives to create social cohesion for the good of Australia and the future.
Speaker 2: So thank you, No, I really appreciate.
Speaker 1: Look, all I can ever hope for in engagements like this is that everybody just takes one thing away, you know, And if everybody just finds that one thing that you know has been a bit of an insight, bit of a light bulb for them and takes that way and reflects on what does that mean in terms of the way that I choose to live my life and I choose to engage with others, particularly Aboriginal peoples. Again, I think that's going to make a momentous positive movement. Thank you, Governanda.
Speaker 3: This was such an informative and important conversation. I'm truly so grateful for people like Clinton doing the work that he does. Thank you to Clinton for joining me on this episode. Today. You can find links to his work at the Black Dog Institute. In our show notes, Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters on which this podcast was recorded