Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mother Me podcast, Muma Me your acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters. This podcast is recorded on Patterns are what keepers grounded, the familiar rhythms that shape our routines and relationships. When they're good, they bring comfort, joy in a sense of home, and honestly, you just can't get enough of them.
Speaker 2: We were going on dates and eating out every couple of nights. We were hanging out with all of my friends. He was continuously buying me flowers, sending me flowers to my work. He would take me to gigs and to the movies, and we were absolutely just obsessed with each other.
Speaker 1: But the thing about patterns is not all of them are good. Some sneak up on you, starting small, barely noticeable at first, Then before you realize it, they've taken hold, and suddenly your whole life can feel like it's been turned upside down.
Speaker 2: I remember the moment he got home. We were fighting. He was instantly getting aggressive. He'd moved all his belongings out of our bedroom into the room downstairs, the spare room, and it was like there were two separate people living in the house.
Speaker 1: When I got home, I'm Georgia Love and this is everyone has an ex Come with me as we dive into a collection of unconventional stories about relationships past through the eyes and the hearts of the very people who lived them. Meet Kate, self proclaimed perpetually single and perfectly fine with it at the ohso wise age of twenty two, she wasn't exactly out there searching for the one. But dear listener, we both know what happens next. A casual scroll one night, and boom, a guy slides into a DMS.
Speaker 2: His name was Ben. I was very happy on my own, very happy at living with my cat. I was definitely in my just single girl era and really comfortable and independent. I had a really great, stable job and really really supportive large friendship circles. So for me, I was always the one that would be the person that's third wheeling or fifth Wheeling or organizing the Taco Tuesdays, and wasn't really searching for a relationship at that point in my life. I think I'd been on dating apps a couple of times and not really had much success. I don't think I'd ever even been on a real first date at that point. So when Ben slid into my DMS. I was really nicely surprised. I didn't know who he was. I actually thought he could be a catfish because he didn't have his first name in his profile at all. It wasn't in his bio, it wasn't in his username. I just had a couple of mutual followers with him. He actually DM me asking who my secret Sanna was and how many I had. I think I'd posted that it was Christmas time at work and I was doing Secret Sander with my team, and he replied to my story, I believe. And I remember just striking up the conversation with him, asking my friend, Hey, who is this guy? Is he a catfish? Is he even real? And she said, oh, I know him from work. He's cute, he's very nice. You should speak to him. And I remember, as that day progressed, we had some banter. He was at his work Christmas party that evening and he asked me what I was doing. I said, I'm watching Gilmore Girls, and I remember he made a joke about loving Lorelei or something like that, and then he said he wanted to come and watch Gilmore Girls with me, and me being in my single era, I thought, you know what, my friend has cleared the fact that he's real. I'll just let him come over. He did come over, and he had had a little bit to drink, but not too much, and I remember we just sat on my couch and talked for hours. One thing led to another, and I remember he stayed over the next morning. He was really really sweet. We were intimate again, and he was very complimentary. He made me breakfast in my own kitchen, and he realized that I was vegetarian and he was vegan, and we were really excited about that, as not many people we knew were at the time, and it all just kind of started from there. He messaged me, I think maybe an hour or two after he left my house to go. He had a second job on the weekends in retail, and he messaged me an hour or two after he left, saying how adorable he thought I was, and how I had a cute cat, and he wanted to see me again. Anyway. I was buzzing. I had a little crush immediately. He was really tall and tattooed, very fit as well, and so funny. I could just tell the moment I met him that he was really charismatic, really funny, and really easy to talk to, so I instantly also wanted to see him again. I remember I went to lunch with my friends that day and I was telling them all about him, and they said, this is so cute. We've never seen me like this about a man. So I was very, very excited when that night I was going out clubbing and he said, I'll come meet up with you, and the rest is kind of history. We were inseparable from there. He came home with me again that night. I remember he was buying my friend's drinks and then McDonald's on the way home. The next day, he stayed over. I think we spent the day together and then we just could not stop talking. It all happened really, really quickly. He was twenty five at the time when I met him, about to turn twenty six in a few weeks, and I think he basically stayed over at my house every day, and he took me on my first proper date. We went and had vegan food, he bought us margaritas, and we were playing Truth or Dare, and one thing led to another and he asked me to be his girlfriend, and I said yes. I was so excited, and things had moved really quickly. I think it had been four weeks at that point, and he said to me, I think I love you, and I remember just sitting there and being in complete shock that it was happening so quickly, and I said to him, I can't say it back yet. This is a really big deal for me. I've never said I love you.
Speaker 1: At this point, these stirred up memories of a ghost of a situation ship past. His name was Jake.
Speaker 2: My previous dating experience had been limited to a bit of a situation ship that was on and off from when I was seventeen for three years. And with that situationship, we would go from friends to friends with benefits to him blocking me and being quite abusive. So I'd never actually said I love you to any man before, and he had left me with a fair bit of PTSD and trauma off the back of that three year period where it was so up and down and so heightened. I mean I was, yeah, seventeen, he was eighteen, and it was so messy and so dramatic, and I remember it was just the darkest period of my life on and off at a really really young age. I learnt how cruel men could be, and he had left me feeling really untrusting towards men. And even though I wasn't in an official relationship with my ex situationship, he had really left this kind of mark on me where I just didn't feel lovable. I felt really confident in myself as a person and as a friend, but romantically I didn't feel worthy of love. And so when I met Ben and he was everything that my ex situationship wasn't, that was a real turning point for me and the way I approached love, I guess and romance. Our relationship was very physical from the start, and we were definitely really compatible in the bedroom. I remember teaching him some new things, and he was a little bit shy. I think because he'd been in relationship since he was in high school. He hadn't really found his feet in that area, so I guess it was really nice to teach him things. He would absolutely spoil me as well from the moment we started kind of seeing each other, and in those early days, he would bring me flowers all the time, little sweet treats. He would show up after work at my work with, yeah, a bouquet of flowers or a little gift that he'd thought of me, and would be there whenever I finished work. He was just always there, ready to hang out. So yeah, pretty much inseparable from day one. I think he was just so charismatic. He knew how to just lie up a room. He made everyone feel so welcome. He was so inclusive, so funny. You could just tell when he was thinking of jokes as well, and then he'd pull them off really well. The whole room would be in fits of laughter. We integrated really quickly, as in he would absolutely come along to all my friendship events. I met his friends as well. However, he had a much much smaller friendship group. He was a strange from his family and his mother had passed away. He had two younger brothers and a couple of older siblings as well on both his mum and his dad's side that he was completely estranged from, and he didn't have a large friendship circle. So he really integrated quickly into mine, and everyone made him feel really welcome, and I think he fit in really well. We all had very similar interests when it came to know movies, music. We were very much into the kind of alternative music scene, and it was really easy for us all to get along. I think I felt this intense need to make him feel included and part of my family, whether it be my friendship family or my family family. I feel like he was a very strong, strong person. He was so intelligent and in tune with his emotions when we spoke, and he had actually also told me that he'd lost eighty kilograms and used to weigh one hundred and sixty and was around eighty when we met, and I thought, this person is so strong mentally. That is such a sign of someone who is really really strong in terms of their character, their perseverance, and their ability to see an obsticle and overcome it. And he did that for himself and was motivated himself to do that. He was quite self conscious of that, and I was always just in awe of that, and I thought that that was one of the best things about him, was knowing that fact as well. So he definitely was just someone I wanted to embrace and bring into my circle really quickly. So she did things progressed really quickly. I think said I love you when he asked me to be his girlfriend, and I definitely felt a lot of pressure from him to say it back, but held off for I think it was only a week or two, but it felt like a really long time. And I was really clear with him that it was a really big deal for me, as I'd never said I love you to anyone else before. When I said it, it was his birthday and I wrote it in a card, and I remember he was just so shocked and surprised, and we instantly just embraced and it was very cute, see, and I was just so in love with him so quickly. I felt so so hard, and I never had before, so it was all very very new to me. And that first couple of months we were thrown into living together quite quickly, as his lease at his rental had come up and he didn't want to sign on for a year when he'd just kind of gotten into a really serious relationship. So I said, well, I mean, I have a one bedroom apartment, but we can make it work. Move in here. There's no point in you signing a whole year long lease at your current place. Let's make it work together. And so he basically never left. Essentially, it was a one night stand turn relationship very very very quickly.
Speaker 1: Despite only being together a couple of months, Cad and Ben were totally and blissfully in love, but even in their perfect little world, there were hints that things were moving a little too fast.
Speaker 2: We went through the usual kind of initial relationship hiccups of he was quite jealous of some of my male friends, especially ones I had passed intimate experiences with, and although there was nothing there, he felt quite strongly about my friendships with them, and I really started to distance myself and isolate myself quite quickly from them. And he was quite attached and he would constantly text me, and if I didn't reply for a couple of hours because I was at work, he'd you know, double text, and I thought that was completely normal, and that really felt like he was just making a big effort and just wanted to spend time with me and hear from me, and absolutely was just as obsessed with me as I was with him. I think I had just had that security even though I'd never been in a relationship. I just didn't feel that need to text twenty four to seven, And so that was something that I noticed quite early on. About a month after I told Ben that I loved him, he went out for drinks with some friends. He didn't come home that night, which wasn't abnormal as we had just started dating, and he told me he was staying over at his friend's house. I remember the next day at work it was Valentine's Day and he came and visited me before work while I was getting coffee and brought me a bunch of flowers, which was really sweet. But then another bouquet of flowers showed up at my workplace that day that had been pre ordered for Valentine's Day. So I didn't think too much into that until about a week later and I get a message from my friend who said, hey, I didn't know Ben and this coworker of my friend was such good friends. It was basically like a hate girly text, but from my friend who worked with this girl at the time, and he didn't outright say it, but I knew something had happened. So I questioned my friend and he has actually said she was bragging about sleeping with him the week before. I had a feeling in my gut. I knew something definitely had happened because I thought back and I thought it was strange that he didn't message me and come home that night, and I think my gut just knew, yeah, he had done something and had a secret. I felt really really confused, but I wasn't going to jump to conclusions and just believe this other person. I was going to give Ben the chance to explain. I confronted Ben about it, and he instantly got defensive and went outside to make a phone call. And I remember just sitting there on the phone to my best friend, saying, Hey, this has happened. He's gone outside to make a phone call. He's denying that it even happened, and I was in complete shock and a complete state of confusion. At this point, I just knew that he was lying about it, and I messaged the other girl. She backflipped a couple of times in that conversation and essentially ended up denying that it happened. And then Ben admitted to it all. He said that they got very drunk and that it was just an accident. There was no real excuse for it. He was crying, he was really upset. I remember I was in a bit of shock, so I was just sitting on the couch, just still and frozen, not able to cry, not able to get upset. And I told him we needed space so I could think about it. I took the next day off work, and I know that Ben went and stayed with his friend and spoke to his friend. And when Ben came back, he was so full of remorse and he was saying, he just doesn't know why it happened. He loves me, he sees a future with me. He absolutely wanted to make it work with me if I could forgive him. I remember I asked him did he use protection? He said no, and so I instantly made us go to the doctor and get a test together. And I remember just being in the uber on the way to the GP and thinking, I can't believe this has happened. I can't believe this happened. This is only a month in to my first proper relationship. I love this man, and he's cheated on me already. When we got home, we had a big discussion about it, and I said, if I choose to give you another chance, and I choose to forgive you, I'm going to do that with a promise that I won't resent you. I've seen how that ruins other relationships, even years down the track, where the partner will then be so full of resentment. If I'm going to forgive you, I'm going to let go and I will give you another chance wholeheartedly. But you need to promise to never do this again. And he said, yep, I promise I won't do this again. After that, I chose to, yeah, forgive and forget and move forward with absolute grace and love for him. We just continued on as if it had never happened, and it was just a tiny little blip. Very very early on, we were still separable. We were going on dates and eating out every couple of nights. We were hanging out with all of my friends. He was continuously buying me flowers, sending me flowers to my work. He would take me to gigs and to the movies, and we were absolutely just obsessed with each other.
Speaker 1: Every couple hits a few bumps along the way, and as far as Kay was concerned, that was all behind them. In her mind, that bleep will only make them stronger, and as it turns out, she was right.
Speaker 2: We were going to a engagement party on a Saturday evening and we were shopping for an outfit for him to wear during the day, and while we were walking through them all, we saw a doory store how to sale, and at that point we had been making so many jokes about having kids, and I was saying to him, I'm really traditional. I don't want to have kids until I'm married, and we were joking that we were going to get married. He was telling me I was his dream girl, I was the love of his life. He was going to make me his wife. And so when we saw this jewelry store sale, we walked in and he said, let's just for fun, have you try some on? And I tried some on. I tried on my dream ring, which was a kind of square cut silver diamond ring. It didn't look good on my finger at all. And then there was one that was this beautiful round diamond and we put it on my finger and it looked completely different and it just fit. And I remember being so shocked that this ring that I had liked. I'd never really thought about rings before, but this ring that I had liked on other people, the style just looked horrible on my finger. But then when we put this one on, it was the one. He instantly walked outside and I could see him. He just left me there, and I could see him pacing back and forth on the phone, and I had no idea who he was talking to. When he came back into the jewelry store, he looked at me and the salesman and he said, that was your mum. She gave us her blessing, and he knew that he didn't need my dad's approval. My dad was very chill and would just be completely happy for me. It was my mom's approval who he needed. So he'd called my mum and asked if it was okay to ask me to marry him. She had said it's Kate's choice, but I approved. They'd only met once at this point, and he'd come into state with me to meet my family a few weeks earlier, so they had loved him and completely just fallen head over heels with him the way I had. He made a huge effort with my family when we were there interstate together. He got along with my sister in a way that I didn't even get along with her. He got along with my cousins, my nieces, my whole family just absolutely fell in love with him. So once we bought the ring, we were giddy, and we got the tram home and he was saying I'm going to surprise you and propose when you least expect it. And I was absolutely completely okay with that, but just knowing that the ring was there, I can't even describe the feeling. I was so in love. I just wanted it to happen then and there. And then we were walking down my street, right outside our apartment, and he just couldn't take it anymore and got down on one knee. I don't even remember what he said. I was in activewear and looked shocking. And a lady was turning the corner as he got down on one knee, and she said, oh my God, give me your phone and took my phone and took a photo of it for us. I was crying. I was beside myself with joy, and I of course said yes instantly, and we went upstairs and we called my dad and told my dad. I think my mom drove over with the phone to my dad. She was somewhere else at that point. I think she was at a friend's house. Well, my dad was at home, and my dad drove over to my mom at a friend's house, and we told them together on the phone, and then we called my grandma and we did the rounds, and then we had to go to this engagement party where we obviously didn't say anything, didn't tell anyone, and let my friend have her moment. But the whole time we were just giddy because we had this secret. We posted about it on Facebook afterwards, and I remember my phone was just blowing up and everyone was saying, I'm so excited you but I'm so surprised, and I would just say, when you know, you know, and I know he's my person, he's the one, He's the love of my life. It was a really exciting time anyway, just being in that engagement bubble. There was no rush to get married, but there was a need for us to look at our finances and really get real about saving so we could be ready for a wedding.
Speaker 1: Just five months after that first fateful dm, Kate had a ring on her finger and a future unfolding before her. And around that time another big decision presented itself.
Speaker 2: My family had said they'd help us by our first place together, given we were engaged. We found the apartment, and this was in the space of a couple of weeks of looking. It was the perfect corner apartment, beautiful view, really easy to give a little facelift and make our own really quickly and not for too much money. So we decided we'd go for it, and we bought this place. It all happened very very quickly. We instantly made an appointment at the bank to merge our finances. I work in finance, so this is something that was really important to me, so we could move together as a couple and move forward. And we decided to consolidate our debts. We both had a credit card debt at the time, and we thought, let's put that into a personal loan that we can easily pay off and open a joint account so we can start saving for the wedding. So at the meeting with the bank, he ends up being the one to take out the personal loan and we use that money to pay off my credit card, his credit card, and then an extra four thousand dollars was added to that personal loan to pay for his mum's burial fees. He said, we're still outstanding and left on him to pay because his stepdad was refusing to pay for those fees. She'd only died about a year before, he said, so. Essentially, he told me that she was being buried in the cemetery, and he needed to pay off those fees from when she'd passed. So everything was going so well. I was on cloud nine, still in my engagement bubble. We just bought our first apartment and were waiting to settle and move in. My family loved Ben, my friends loved Ben. We were freshly engaged and just ready to start that next, more adult chapter of our lives together. When we joined our finances, we decided to set some savings goals. I owned a little bit more than Ben at this point and made it really clear to him that what's mine is what's his is mine. I would be happy to help pay off those burial fees on the person alone. A couple of weeks later, we go out with my friends and the friend that had told me about the cheating in February was out with us and Ben and this friend ended up reconciling that night and we were having the best time. We were at a Korean bar and dancing on the tables, making friends with everyone, drinking copious amounts of sojo. During that night. While Ben was reconciling with my friend, he'd given me his phone, which was really rare for him, as he never let me touch his phone, but after the cheating incident, he'd actually changed his passcode to the same one as mine to give me peace of mind, and I said, I'll never need to use it. I'll never go through your phone. And while he was at the bar reconciling with my friend, I decided to go on to his phone and unblock that particular friend, given they were making up. I don't know why. I think I was drunk too, It was just a drunk decision. And when I saw his blocked list, I noticed a couple of names that stood out that were names of his family members. So later on that night, Ben was extremely drunk and he left his phone next to me when he passed out in bed, and I went back on and had a look. It's something I'm not proud of and had never done before and had never even thought of before. But something told me go back and look at those names, and it was the names of his dad and multiple names of his mum, And I thought, this is really strange. His mom's dead and why would there be multiple accounts with her name blocked? And I went into his message requests and there was a message from another account with his mum's name, and she was essentially saying I'm so sorry, I'm clean now, or something along those lines. And I've left a man's name I'm assuming maybe his stepdad, please message me. I believe the message was sent quite recently, not too much earlier, and we had actually acknowledged the date of his mom's death quite early on. I think it was in March. From memory, he was really upset one day and we acknowledged the fact that his mum had died. He posted a photo of her on social media and said miss you. And I remember lying in bed with him and he was really upset talking about her death. So to see her in his DMS in his message requests was a big shock. And then I put two and two together that she wasn't dead. I instantly went on that cemetery website and I searched her name. It was nowhere to be found. I searched her name on Google, couldn't find any information at all about her or her death. And I just knew in my gut she was alive and not dead, and that he had lied about it. I felt really confused. I felt betrayed, but something in me said don't jump to conclusions. Just again, bring it up with him and see what he has to say. I believe he's a really good person, and if he told me that she was dead, it was for good reason. And he obviously didn't want to tell me the truth for one reason or another. So the next morning, when he woke up, I confronted him. I was open with him and told him I'd been through his phone while he was asleep and I saw this message. He told me that it was his younger half brothers on his mom's side, and that they were pretending to be his mom to get money from him, because he'd previously been sending them money to support them. I knew in my guard that this wasn't true, and I just gave up the fight at some point and accepted, he's not going to tell me the truth here, but I knew his mom was alive. I remember I went out for dinner with a friend a couple of weeks later, and I told her about what i'd seen and what I knew and what he had told me, and she said, look, he seems like a really good person, and you're right, he probably wouldn't say that his mom's dead if it wasn't just the easiest option. What other reason could that be? And so I actually felt really sorry for him in the message because it had mentioned from his mum that I'm clean now and I've left my partner. I just knew, okay, this relationship wasn't great, and he had been honest about the fact that there were substance abuse issues there and it was clearly a broken relationship. So I just decided, I'm going to let this go and I'm not going to push this and cause a huge fight. I mean, what is the big deal? But then there was a question of the personal loan and where that money had gone. So I again just decided to let it go and not cause a fight from it, and just accept that he's telling me this because it's the easiest way and he doesn't want to admit to the truth.
Speaker 1: While part of Kate rationalized and trying to understand the situation, there was a niggling feeling that wouldn't go away.
Speaker 2: What I felt really uncomfortable about was the fact that my whole family and whole friendship group knew that his mum was dead, and when they'd ask me about him, I'd say, well, he doesn't talk to his family. They're estranged, and his mother passed away. His dad had left when he was really young and started a new family, and he had a lot of trauma that he hadn't worked through, but he was happy on his own and had always made it work with his previous partners. My mind then turned to, well, what's this four thousand dollar burial feed that I'm paying off and other fees that were paying off together. And at that point I'd paid off maybe half of that amount plus my own or I was in the process of paying off half of that amount plus my own debt with our person alone. There was so many instances where he was taking me out for extravagant dinners and buying me flowers and other gifts. Especially on my birthday. He'd absolutely spoiled me. I had so many gifts waiting for me when I woke up, and I just was so confused. Where did that money go? And I think I just put two and two together in my head. Okay, he spent that, I think on me. I knew at this point that I was ignoring some really big red flags, but the good just outweighed the bad, and you know, these were just a couple of little hiccups in my mind, and we were engaged. He was still the best person I knew, the person I trusted and spent twenty four to seven with other than work. When things were good, he was incredible. I would come home and he would have written I love you and tea light candles across my floor, and he'd write me love notes, and there would be texts that he'd send me in the middle of the day that were so romantic. And I wasn't a romantic like him, and it didn't come naturally to me. So I was slowly just warming to this love that I was receiving it all times of the day. And you know, I'd come home and he would cook me dinner every night or take me out for dinner, and everything just seemed perfect, other than he'd cheated on me and he'd lied to me. And I kept thinking, this is all completely opposite to how my ex partner Jake treated me, and I'd rather this than have him scream at me, block me, yell at me. And I just thought this is the only alternative for myself. I didn't actually ever entertain the idea of breaking up with him. I never entertained the idea of being alone. I just thought, this is our life together, now, this was it, and I was blissfully happy. I just seemed to compartmentalize these two big red flags.
Speaker 1: And there were exciting times ahead, none more so than finally moving into their very own apartment.
Speaker 2: It feels like this fresh start. We are happy beyond, and we make this apartment our home. We host my family from interstate all the time, we have our friends over all the time. It's just us and our cat, and we're just in this little love bubble. Saving to get ready for our marriage. We went into state and visited some family. We had some great experiences together. I took him to the UFC for his birthday. It was his absolute passion. We absolutely just move forward together and was stronger than ever, and I just felt like I trusted him completely and holy, and there were no red flags that he was looking any other way or telling me any other lies. We just had the best, most perfect year, just us in our pre marriage bubble, just absolutely enjoying each other's company and everything was great. We rarely fought. If we did, it was about silly things like him wanting to earn more money, so he could kind of catch up to me, or we would fight about who would clean the kitchen and little silly things like that. There was nothing major.
Speaker 1: With the wedding approaching. Things were in such a good place. It prompted a pretty important conversation.
Speaker 2: It was a couple of nights before and my mom had said to me while we were alone, how's Ben feeling with none of his family attending the wedding? And I said, well, my family is his family, and my mom had kind of realized something was off with the story about his mom being dead, and I think I was trying so hard to cover for him, but I didn't want to continue lying to my mom, so I said, well, he thinks his mother's dead. We don't know if she's actually dead. He was told by his brothers that she was dead, and my mom knew that we'd taken out this personal loan, so she kept saying, but what about the burial fees then? And I said, oh, I think there are other fees that were to do with her mum's death. I don't know, And I just remember being really cagy to my mom and feeling so awful for lying to her, but also trying to get my and get Ben out of the fact that my mom thought that his mum was absolutely dead, and that really shocked me and rocked me a couple of days before the wedding having that conversation. So I brought it up with him a couple of nights beforehand and I said, I know your mom's alive, and he didn't deny it and finally admitted to it. And I remember we had this really mature, healthy discussion. He didn't try and make any excuses. He just said it was what I thought. And he said it was easier to tell people that she's dead. And I said, okay, well, I'm still going to marry you. And that was that. Our wedding day was the best day of my life. It was the easiest, easiest wedding preparation that year. Everything had gone to plan. We had the best bridal party. We had so much fun. We stayed in an airbnb together the night before and we spent the whole day just surrounded by friends and family getting ready and getting to our wedding venue. At the wedding, we had the best time ever. Everyone was in fits of laughter the whole evening. We could not stop laughing. My dad cried. My mom and my dad walked me down the aisle, and the whole time we were just cracking jokes and it was just the most joyous, joyous day of my life, surrounded by everyone that loved us, all of my friends, all of Ben's friends, all of my family had traveled down from interstate to be there, and it was the most memorable day. We danced to this beautiful song Sunflower by Rex Orange County, and it was the most special song to us. Sunflowers are my favorite flower, and he bought me sunflower bunches all the time. It was the most beautiful, beautiful evening with my favorite song, the best music. My dad was so happy, my whole family was so happy, and it was just yeah. We were surrounded by lad and joy and it was the best day.
Speaker 1: It was only fitting their best day ever led straight into the trip of a lifetime, the perfect beginning to their next chapter.
Speaker 2: It was our first kind of proper holiday overseas together. It was perfect, and we went to Paris, we went to Rome, we went to Amsterdam and other places. It was just the dream Europe trip for us, and it was so beautiful. Could not have gone better. When we got back. We had always said we'd tried for kids, and so we were starting to think about trying and getting our finances back in order. We hadn't really left the wedding with much debt or anything. We had some help from my family and had saved really hard together to pay off our original credit card debts and then be able to fund this wedding ourselves. And we'd done a really, really great job at that. So we thought, let's regroup, take a couple of months to save and also buy some things for ourselves that we hadn't been able to while planning and honeymoon saving, and we decided that we'd try for kids later that year. Then COVID hit, and the first week into COVID, my dad passed away unexpectedly. I'll never forget getting that phone call and finding out that my dad had died. It was so surreal, and I was beside myself. I remember just being almost catatonic in bed, and Ben was just beside himself as well. My dad was like his dad, and I remember he held me all night until we got up to catch a plane at six am. The next morning. We flew into State to be with my family and I said, I want to go to the spot where my dad had passed. He had passed really suddenly while riding a bike, and I all night had had these visions of where my dad was, and luckily we knew he'd passed really quickly from a heart attack and he was most likely dead before he hit the ground, so he didn't suffer. And we knew he'd left a cafe twenty minutes before that, so it wasn't long before he was found. And I said, I want to go to the spot and I want to see Dad. I want to see his body. And my older brother and sister decided to come to We drove a couple of hours to where my dad had been staying at my sister's house house sitting for them, and Ben was by my side the whole time. He was holding my hand. He never let me out of his sight. He was there comforting my family. He kissed my dad on the cheek or the forehead when we saw his body. He came with us to the location where my dad had passed, and he was just the perfect husband. In that moment. I knew he was just as devastated as I was. The last messages from my dad that i'd received the day before to me and not to our group chat were my dad asking how Ben was. And I'll never forget that that's the last thing my dad had heard from me. After that, everything kind of changed in terms of our mindset around kids. I really wanted to start trying sooner rather than later, and I kept thinking, well, COVID's just hit. What if my grandma passes, or what if my mom something happened to my mom? And so I really wanted to start trying, and all of a sudden Ben wanted the opposite, and he said, I'm not ready. I think this is really changed the way I feel about it, and just want to do some things for myself first. And I said what are those things? And he said, I want to get my blue belt in jiu jitsu, I want to fix up the shitty tattoos that I have that I'm not proud of. And I want to earn X amount of money. And there were these things that he wanted, and I said, well, they're just, you know, things you can do anyway, They're not things you need to do before we have kids. But eventually I came round and I respected his decision and I didn't want to force anything, so we put a halt on trying for kids and just decided to navigate COVID. We both got promotions during that time, and I was working really, really hard while we were in lockdown, so was he. And Ben was really determined to catch up to me in his career, and that was something he was really really self conscious about and would be a constant state of discussion for us. I kept saying to him, well, I have seven plus years on you at my job. You've only just started at your job. You need to be patient with yourself where it doesn't matter what's mine is yours. I'm not thinking that I earn more than you and holding it against you. And it wasn't by much at all, but somehow he kept putting value on that, and so there was a lot of pressure he was putting on himself to work really hard, and I knew that that was also impacting him and his mental health. I really enjoyed COVID because it brought me closer to my family. I didn't have to go and talk about the death of my father whenever I spoke to someone. Because we were all communicating through screens. I was able to kind of process my grief alone and be in my own kind of little bubble where I was just speaking to the friends I wanted to speak to, and I wasn't feeling like I needed to go out and all of a sudden social So it was a really really great time for me, and I was just taking every positive out of it that I could.
Speaker 1: One year of navigating lockdowns later, Kaid had been working through her grief and things were going pretty well, so for like the right time to start trying for a family.
Speaker 2: I was taking the pregnancy vitamins, I was doing all the research. I was peeing on the ovulation sticks, taking my temperature every single day. We were doing everything we could to try for kids properly and feeling really ready to do that as well. Not long after this, we decided to start looking at houses. I think COVID had really solidified for us that we were stuck in this two bedroom apartment and needed a bit more space, especially if we were trying for kids, and so we started the search for our dream home. I had inherited some money after my dad's death and really wanted to either use that money to travel overseas and take a long holiday together post covid or. I wanted to use it for property, then was adamant he didn't want to use it to go overseas, and we had a few lengthy discussions where he said, well, you can just go without me, and I was really upset by this. It would normally end with myself in tears and I'd say, well, I don't want to go overseas without you, and this is my money and I want to use it on both of us, and I really want to travel and see the world, especially before we have kids. But he said no, let's use it on property, and I said, okay, well that's the other thing I would use it on, so yes, let's do that. Then the house hunting was really exciting for us. We really had a goal that we were both working towards, and we were spending every weekend going to inspections. We bid in two different auctions and unfortunately weren't successful, and then went on a day where we saw seven or eight different properties in the one morning. We fell in love with two of them. After the second property, which was closer to so many amenities, then walked outside and he said, let's put an offer on this one. I love this house. It's beautiful, and I said, I love it too. I think we should. However, the other property was still stuck in both of our minds. We got home and had a really lengthy discussion about it and Ben said he changed his mind and he wanted to go for the other property. So we had lengthy discussions that would last well into the night about both these properties and whether we should bid on one or the other. They were pretty similar in price and there were selling points for both, but I was more sold on the second property that Ben had originally said he really wanted to bid on, and he was really sold on the first one that we did both love but didn't have that same reaction at first. The first property as well, wasn't as close to really important amenities like public transport, as I didn't drive, so that was a big deciding factor for me. And there was definitely some tension during these discussions, and I remember one day Ben said, no, it's your money, let's go for the one you like, and I said, well, I don't want this to be a point of resentment in our relationship moving forward. If we're going to buy this, we both need to be all in. This is a huge huge decision to take out a mortgage this big, and it's an absolute thing that we need to be aligned on. I continue to have discussions like this with him, and he ends up saying, no, I love this property too, It's beautiful. We absolutely should go for it. We'd be silly not too, and so we put an offer on the property. We're really excited when within a day our offer gets accepted and it's our first home together, our first real house. The house itself had so much character and would need a bit of work, but we were both ready to take that on. It's a Victorian terrast, so was absolutely an investment in terms of it would increase in value given the heritage aspect, and the location was only just getting more and more popular in the market. Once we settle on the house in December twenty twenty one, Ben starts acting really distant and I felt him really visibly pull away. We celebrated with our friends and we took photos outside the for sale sign, putting the salt sticker on the house, We went for drinks. We had a few days of real joy together and excitement about moving into the property. But the moment we settle I felt him pull away.
Speaker 1: It was only weeks since they'd achieved this huge milestone together. Kate could sense something was wrong. She just couldn't quite put her finger on it, and the lead up to Ben's thirtieth it got a whole lot worse.
Speaker 2: The day before Ben's birthday, Ben says, I want to take you to dinner. And this was a couple of days after we'd moved into the new house, and he said, let's go to the pub down the road. And I'd been saying, I really want to try it out. It's basically our neighbor. Let's go, and so I was really excited that he'd asked me to dinner. I got a bit dressed up, so did he, and we went to the pub together and while we were talking, he brought up, out of the blue, what if I don't want to be married anymore? My heart sunk, and I remember I instantly started crying in the pub. And we talked and talked and talked about it, and I was so confused, and I said, what is this, what's going on? Why don't you want to be married anymore? And he essentially said that he doesn't see a life with me anymore and wanted some time to himself for his thirtieth I had put aside part of my bonus that year and taken out ten thousand dollars in cash for a trip for us to Japan. And we got home and he said, let's do gifts early. And this is after a discussion where he said he didn't want to be married anymore. And I said, okay, that I feel like this is the wrong gift to give you right now. And I don't know how you're going to feel about this, because I don't know how you'll react and if there'll be an imbalance with us. And I gave him his gift and he was so excited and so happy, and I said, this is for our future Japan trip. We just wanted to go to Japan together, and he said he was so grateful. He was so thankful, and everything kind of went back to normal for the rest of the evening, but I felt sick in my stomach. The next day. I remember getting home and he said to me, what if I don't want to go to Japan with you and I want to go alone? And I remember again my heart just broke and I just didn't know what to say, and I said, well, how could you now, I feel like it's like me trying to bribe your love and me trying it. This is, you know, something I really wanted to do for you and for us, and I worked really hard for this money, and it's something I want us to have, is a trip to look forward to. We keep talking about wanting to go to Japan, and now it's we've bought our house, it's post COVID. We can go overseas together when the border is open. Let's book in this Japan trip. And he said, I just I want to go alone. And I just I didn't even know what to say. And I knew something was very broken with us at that point. So I spoke to my mom. I think i'd been speaking to her and the lead up to this and saying how detached I felt. And I said to her, I think I need to come visit you into state, and I need to give Ben some space, because clearly he's confused, he's lost, he doesn't know what he wants. I think turning thirty had really shocked him. I think opening our bank account and seeing a million dollars in debt really shocked him. I think having to work really hard for our money had really shocked him. To be able to pay the mortgage, and knowing that things were going to be a little bit tighter really shocked him. And he'd said he was ready for all these things, and we were still trying for kids at this point, and I was making assumptions, but I think all of these really adult decisions sent him into a complete phase where he was just absolutely lost and didn't know how to proceed with life. He did put a lot of pressure on himself turning thirty, and he said he wasn't where he'd imagined himself. And I said, well, you're married, we're trying for kids, We've just bought our dream house, and you know, people would die to have what we have, like we are so privileged, and you know, we are so lucky to be where we are in life and to have each other and to be a team, and to have our health and our stability in our workplaces and the friends that we have and the family that I have. So what's missing I don't understand. And he just couldn't tell me. So I said, all right, I'm going to give you some space and I'm going to go to Queensland. And I asked him if he'd get counseling with me, and he said yes.
Speaker 1: Kate needed space, a safe space, so she packed her banks and went into state to stay with their mum. What was meant to be a few days turned into three weeks. Is Ben's behavior remained cruel and cold. That was until Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: He admitted that he missed me. On Valentine's Day, we had a phone call that lasted hours and it was like we were back to our old selves. We were laughing, we were crying, we were talking about us in our relationship, and it was really beautiful. We then go on to have our joint counseling session a couple of days later. It was our first one with the joint counselor. The first thing I remember saying when we got into the joint counseling session and it was my time to speak, was did you cheat on me? And he said yes, I did, and he wanted to wait till the counselor was there to admit it to me, and he couldn't admit it. The week before, he says he was out drinking. He doesn't even remember the girl's name. He says he didn't take his wedding ring off when it happened, and I was absolutely disgusted and I couldn't believe that he's done this to me again. And the counselor said, well, you know, now you need to make a decision. Are you going to move forward or not? And Ben said, I want to be with Kate. I want to be together. I absolutely think that the marriage is worth fighting for and that we can work through this, and I'm committed to doing it. Then I said I need to think about this, and I remember leaving the session and going and hugging my mum and just crying and saying, he cheated on me. He cheated on me. She had no idea about the first time when we first started dating. I just knew that she would know that this was a really big deal for me. And I cried day and I remember he texted me and he said, I'm so sorry, and I booked a flight for the next morning back home. When I got home the next day, he was at work all day at his weekend job in the warehouse, and he got home really late. I remember the moment he got home, we were fighting. He was instantly getting aggressive. He'd moved all his belongings out of our bedroom into the room downstairs, the spare room, and it was like there were two separate people living in the house when I got home. Things were really rocky after that. The next night after he invited me to the warehouse party where he worked now on the weekends, and that night we had a fight because I said I wanted to go home, and he was threatening to drunk drive. He was screaming at me, he was punching the steering wheel, threatening to kill himself, using a voice that I'd never heard before, and finally I just decided to back down and please him and say, okay, I will continue to party on tonight. Let's go to Karayoke if that's where we're going, And he said great and snapped right out of it. We ordered an uber to carryoke to catch up with his friends, and I remember sitting in the back of the uber. He was in the front. I was just crying and crying and crying silently, and he turned around and he said, you'd better put a smile on your face, and I will never forget the tone. I'd never heard anything like that before, and I just couldn't say anything. And I think I pretended to smile and he said good or something like that, and I just kept thinking, this uber driver is going to know that he is controlling me right now. And I remember thinking, these are red flags, these are red flags, these are red flags. This is not his normal behavior. It is not okay.
Speaker 1: This rollercoaster of emotions and Ben's behavior were unpredictable and erratic. Sometimes it was bad, and sometimes it felt like things truly were going back to normal.
Speaker 2: Things after that night seemed to look up. We continue to get counseling really regularly. We're working on our communication, We're having regular check ins, and a couple of months after this period, he says in counseling, I want to start trying for babies again, and I say, no, I want to make sure we're okay. First, let's focus on us. Our intimacy had gotten so much better since I got back from that month away, and since we'd been working through counseling and everything seemed really, really good. We were making a huge effort to go on dates. He took me to the sunflower fields, he took me to Dal'sford for the weekend. We had day trips and made a much bigger effort to just be present with each other, communicate through anything we were thinking and feeling, and be better to each other and better at each other's company. So as the year progresses, he says to me, Japan's not opening their borders yet. Why don't we use the money you gave me for my thirtieth to book a Europe trip. Let's basically relive our home honeymoon together. And I had fallen in love with Europe on our honeymoon and I was all too happy to say, absolutely, let's do this. So we planned this Europe trip together from months long trip. During the trip, we saw our favorite band together. We got matching tatoos in Amsterdam, and everything was perfect. We end up being intimate in every country we visit it and every time we'd make little jokes and say, oh, imagine if our baby's conceived here, and we weren't being careful. We weren't not trying at this point, so we were absolutely, you know, still talking about having children. When we get back from Europe, we have a week off together. We go to the movies twice, we go shopping, we eat out, We're just having a great week and we're back at work and I felt like everything was distant all over again. I called Ben on my lunch break and I say, what's going on. It's your Christmas party tonight. I really feel like everything's distant. I just want to talk before you go to the party, and he says, I feel like I did at the start of the year. I don't want to be married to you anymore. I instantly start hysterically crying on the phone and I say, well, this is just such a shock. We got matching tattoos a week and a half ago. I'm completely blindsided. I'm hysterically crying, and I just don't know what to say.
Speaker 1: Every day, the same patterns emerged. Kate never knew which version of Ben she would get. The hardest part was that she still loved him, and that love was what kept her trying doing everything she could to make at work until one day he did the unforgivable.
Speaker 2: In March twenty twenty three, I was house sitting for a friend and it was a great opportunity for me to give him more space, and I noticed that he wasn't feeding our cat, and that was it for me. He was saying he was there and he was feeding our cat. But I just knew in my gut that he wasn't. So I was going back to our house every day and checking to see if she'd been fed, and she hadn't. And that happened a couple of times, and that was when I knew, and I said, you need to move out. Now. I put my foot down. I'm going to go to Sydney and I'm going to get as far away from you as possible on my birthday weekend. You can move out in peace. I won't be there to watch that happen. While I'm celebrating my bat day that weekend I'm in Sydney. He is blowing up my phone. He texts me happy birthday, he sends me photos from the span of our relationship. He's complimenting me, He's telling me he misses me. He's then saying fuck all my friends. I don't care about them. I just want you, and being really aggressive towards the people that love and care about him. But I'm just taking this as a win, and I'm saying, Okay, well you need to prove it. Let's maybe go on a date or something. Let's and I'm trying to talk to him and be, you know, open to the fact that he wants He's kind of changed his mind, and I thought, okay, him moving out is a turning point, and he's realized this is not sustainable and he wants back into this relationship. So I'm giving him some grace, but I'm not giving in fully. I've still got my guard up completely. And he's texting me in the middle of the night saying that he misses me. Two days after that, I'm at work and my friend pulls me into a room and says, hey, I've just received a message from my friend who's seen Ben on a dating app. I look at the photos and I'm completely just numb. It's him, and he's using photos from our wedding. I'm instantly just shocked and disgusted, and I knew we're done. We are done. That evening, I call him and I say, hey, today, I was shown photos of you on a dating app. He says, oh, I made the profile two nights ago. So the first night when he was begging for me back, his first night moved out of the house. I say, well why, and he says, I just needed the validation, And I said, are you not getting that from me? That's what I'm here for I'm your wife, and he screamed at me and he said this is all your fault and turned it on me, and I remember he hung up on me, and he texted me and he said, just let me enjoy a night with my friends, please. I wasn't even going to message him. He then sends me a video when I don't reply to that of him deleting Tinder, and I reply and I say, well, the screenshot I was shown was of Hinge. A few weeks pass I'm at the lowest point I've ever been out in my life, I think. And when my dad passed away, I ended up in hospital one night. I just couldn't see a way out, and I thought I was having a heart attack. I think I was having a panic attack, and I was like, I'm having a heart attack, just like my dad. Like it's actually there's no way out of this for me, Like I've lost the love of my life, he's moved out, he's gone and begged for me back, and the same night has made a dating profile like we're done, this is done. And that was a real turning point for me. I ended up booking in with the GP the next day and going on antidepressants that day, and it was so clear when I went on those antidepressants that what I'd been going through up until that point in April was not sustainable. I was coming home every day and crying for five hours every night. Every day I'd go to work and I'd be a shell of myself and work would be my safe place, and it was just it was the darkest point I can ever even remember going through every in my life. When I went on the antidepressants, I became really, really numb to everything was happening and kind of reached a state of acceptance. I was getting regular counseling and therapy.
Speaker 1: At this point, all contact with Ben was limited to financial and legal conversations as they navigated their split.
Speaker 2: Until Ben tells me that Rex Orange County is coming to Australia. I know he's really special to us. The tickets are on sale, you might want to go. And then he says, let's have a session with our counselor, which I think is really odd and really strange. I ended up contacting our counselor who says, let's book in a session, but just with you. And when I speak to the counselor, the counselor says, I won't see him anymore, and essentially he says that Ben had tried to manipulate him into springing a session on me to tell me that he's got a new partner. I booked tickets to this concept and was planning on going with a friend. And then a couple weeks later, I reactivate Instagram and I can see that he has someone's initials in his bio. So I instantly had this feeling that it was another person who had followed me, as she had instantly unfollowed me when I reactivated my Instagram, I went on to her Instagram account and she had his initials in her bio. So they'd been dating for a few months at this point, and they could have been overlap. Rex Orange County comes along on in September twenty twenty three. I'm with my friend and we're in the mosh pit and I turn around and I see him and his new girlfriend walk in, and I just couldn't help myself. I walked straight up to them. I don't know what came over me. I'm usually quite shy and non confrontational, and I said, Hi, I'm Kate. Has Ben told you that Rex Orange County sung our wedding song. She looks at me and shock and he says she knows. And I said, you have some nerve bringing her here. And he said we're leaving, and I said, good go. He leaves. They walk up the stairs and they I can see them at a different entrance up here. My friend and I just stay where we are in the mosh pit down the bottom, and he starts gesturing at my friends and waving at her, doing weird gestures, and it's so strange until the first band comes on and the lights go out. I then just try and forget about him. Our wedding song comes on. I cried the whole time, but I just thought, I'm not going to let him control where I go and ruin these special things for me. He used to serenade me all of Rex's songs, and so the fact that he took her to Rex's concert just felt really sick. We end up going through a binding financial agreement and seeing each other to sign forms at the police station. In November twenty twenty three, Ben comes to the appointment at the police station to see the Justice of the peace and during this time we're making small talk and he admits and apologizes for taking his partner to the concert. He admits it was disrespectful and takes full ownership. At the end, he gives me a huge hug, and I gave him some of the old cards and love letters and things that we'd written each other or that I'd specifically written to him, and he said, I have a kate box at home. I'll never forget you. He gives me a big hug, and I think, Okay, this is great. We've ended on really good terms. I may never see him again.
Speaker 1: Around the time all this was going on, another X reappeared.
Speaker 2: Remember Jake, I go on Instagram and see that amongst some of my friendship group and wider circles, my ex situationship is being called out online by multiple women for instances of sexual assault and abuse. I instantly am distraught and all my old trauma gets brought to the surface. From twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, I knew that this day was going to come. I knew that he wouldn't get away with it. I knew, due to the amount of women he was involved with and the nature of his personality, that I wasn't the only one he had impacted, and that one day things may come out about him. Two of my exes exes started sharing the stories of other women online and I got in touch with them. Due to the three years on and off that I'd spent with him, I instantly deactivated my Instagram as I needed to protect my mental health, and a day after the story started coming out, I was sent an old video of Jake where he was threatening me, saying unspeakable things that I didn't know existed. The video had been filmed maybe eight years ago, and it sent me into a depression like I'd never experienced before. I was at work at the time, and I just remember having the panic attack of all panic attacks. I was on the ground. I couldn't breathe. I saw this video and heard the things that he'd said about me, and he'd said horrible things to my face, but these things were unspeakable and just discussing vile, threatening things. A week passed, and that happened to be during the same week that my divorce was going through court, so I needed to contact Ben to find out if the divorce was granted. He'd been the one to file and pay for it. I was clear on that with him, that I wasn't going to do that when he was the one that chose to leave me, and I email Ben to find out if a divorce had been granted. He said yes. A few days pass and the situation with my ex situationship being called out online is escalating, and I'm feeling like I need to share the video so others can hear and see what Jake is like firsthand from his own voice. I allow his ex to post the video with my permission, even though I still don't have Instagram myself, and I think that it will help. Even if just one other woman sees this video and remembers his face and doesn't want to go on a date with him, I think that that would be worth it in the end, So she posts a video. A week after the video is posted, I receive a phone call from the police to head down to the station as an IVO was waiting for me. I'm beside myself. I'm so anxious, I'm shaking. I don't know what to do. I was already in a complete state of shock and had been reliving my past with Jake that whole week, so I'm very on edge when I head to the police station. When I get to the police station, I'm handed the papers thinking it's from Jake, and the papers were from Ben. The IVO essentially is written incoherrently basically stating that I'm benz Ex's wife, that I am going to be posting on social media about him, that my friend has followed his partner on Instagram. I have no idea who this is, who's followed her. We have many mutuals, so I truly couldn't tell you who could have followed her. That he'd broken out in hives, that he couldn't function, that I have absolutely no reason to post about him, That I stalked him and his partner at the festival and followed them for hundreds of meters, That I'd blocked the entrance to the mosh pit when I saw them at the concert, which again wasn't true. I'd never moved from the center of the mosh pit and stopped them from walking back in. There was everything in the IVO I could refute and had witnesses for, and had evidence for. Essentially, I'm again beside myself, completely in shock. I don't know how to react to this, and I called my friend who's a lawyer to get some help. My lawyer ended up sending a letter asking for an undertaking or a withdrawal of the IVO, as it was spurious and wasting resources, money and time. The IVO was completely hearsay and it couldn't be reasonably associated with me. We also really made it clear that this is a system that's for vulnerable members of the community, and this was a way that he was controlling me.
Speaker 1: Kate realized Ben's actions were driven by fear and a design to control the narrative after that damaging video surface, determined not to let him dictate the outcome. She fought through months of legal negotiations before reluctantly accepting a one year court undertaking to avoid being dragged through further turmoil.
Speaker 2: While this was happening and he was sign up the undertaking, I was taken into the support office at the court and the support worker that normally supports the person who lodges the undertaking came in and said, Hey, Kate, I've just read your case. We have all been watching him and his girlfriend all day. They're in the safe room of the court right now. They have been giggling away all day. She's like, I can see right through this instantly, and the strong feminist in me wants you to fight this undertaking and fight this IVO. And I just said, I appreciate you so much. Thank you for saying that. Thank you for believing me when you haven't even heard it from my mouth. Thank you. I was crying. My mum was next to me, and she was crying. And they said, I had no idea he was even in the court I thought he'd be zooming in for it. I had no idea he was even in the same building as me. And turns out he'd been sitting there with his girlfriend laughing the whole morning and making a mockery of the system. And she was like, we have all been watching them and thinking, what are they even doing back there? It is not okay. And so she instantly said, I think you should fight this, and I just said I can't. I have no fight left in me. Let me sign this one year document and be out of here. So when I went into the courtroom, I was shaking head to toe. I could hear him and his girlfriend on the other side of the barrier. They were hid him from me, so I couldn't see them. They talked the whole time as the judge was starting. I guess the hearing, the judge basically said I'm not to do the things on the undertaking. I can't go within one hundred meters of his work. I think we edited that to one hundred from two hundred because he works three hundred meters from me, and essentially I'm not allowed to contact him do all those things, which I had no intention of doing anyway. It was honestly just heartbreaking because I've never ever had a situation like that where I've had to deal with the courts, deal with police anything at all, and he was just using it as a way to control me and control the narrative. I leave the court with my mum and decide, Okay, I'm going to move on with my life. I'm going to take my long service leave and I'm going to book the trip of a lifetime and I'll go to Europe for nine weeks. It was truly the most life changing, freeing experience, and everything about that trip was perfect. Visited some of the places we went on our honeymoon, and rewrote those memories. I reclaimed those memories. I went back to the same tatoo artists in Amsterdam and got my tatoo changed so it no longer matches his. I just did things for me and for me alone, and it was the best experience of my life. I was able to be alone with my thoughts. I was able to think through a lot of the trauma that I'd been through with him. I was able to create so many new memories. I was able to really reflect on some of those red flags, and when I got back, I was like a whole new person. I'd found my spark again, my happiness again. I'd even been open to the idea of dating again and met a couple of guys while over there. While nothing romantic happened, it was just great to put myself out there again. And everyone had said to me in those last couple of years, I think you should start dating. It'll help you get over him, because I was just holding on to him and I was always thinking about him and loving him. But I really on that trip accepted I loved a version of him that no longer existed, and I really needed to come to terms with that, and I think I did on that trip, and it was just this turning point in my life. When I got back, not long enough, I found out that he'd gotten engaged and had been in Europe at the same time as me. Thank goodness, I didn't know while I was there on my trip. Recently I heard he said to my friend that he's been doing so well since his big reset two years ago. And it's true. He reset his life, he pressed reset. He has only a couple of the same friends that he did when him and I were together. I never asked anyone to two sides. He did it for them. He blocked everyone. Everyone is blocked. My best friend's dog is blocked on Instagram. It is so crazy to think that this person has taken such lengths to restart their whole life. My whole family was devastated. My mom was devastated, my sister, my niece, everyone was just completely heartbroken and never got a chance to have a goodbye, never got closure. It was just one day. He blocked everyone and never spoke to anyone again. And so now I'm thirty and I'm a divorce a and I'm really leaning into that stereotype. It's very chic, I think. After Europe, I've just started dating again, and I've actually had some of the funnest dates of my life and have met some really great, awesome people through the dating I thought going into it, I was so anxious. It took me two and a half years to be able to start dating again after him, and he'd already gotten engaged in that time, and I hadn't even kissed another man or held another man's hand, and he'd already gotten engaged. And I just thought I was the most boring, unlovable, unattractive person. And now I just I feel like I've learned how to flirt. I'm actually enjoying the dating experience. I feel like I've found my confidence and sexuality again. All the men I've been on dates with have told me you are so much fun, Kate, you are so much fun organically, And it's actually been so uplifting and so enlightening to hear that about myself when he really made me feel like I was so boring and so worthless. I don't know if I'll ever trust anyone again. I definitely have trust issues, and I think about how my dad will never get to walk me down the aisle again. But I've learned so much from the experience, and I'm just having so much fun now restarting my own life with the same friends, the same house, the same cat, and yeah, it's just been such a joy finding myself again and finding my spark again. I truly feel like I'm the happiest I've ever been right now, and just I feel like I'm succeeding in every aspect of my life except for romance. But that's okay. It's just casual and no pressure up right now. I'm just having so much fun. So I do think everything happens for a reason.
Speaker 1: Everyone has an ex is a Minti Media production, proudly part of the Mum and mea network. This episode is written and produced by Linda Scott. Interview conducted and the episode narrated by me Georgia Love. If you have a story you'd like to share, email podcast at momamea dot com dot au. You can support us by following the show and your favorite podcast up and leaving a five star review. We'll see you for the next episode.
Speaker 2: Thinks