Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: I am pregnanty.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Hello Bump.
Speaker 2: We're making pregnancy less overwhelming and more hopefully manageable.
Speaker 1: I'm Grace Rouvey.
Speaker 2: I'm pregnant for the first time, and I'm wondering where all my empathy and patience has gone.
Speaker 3: And I'm out a pittman, former olympian. Don't have any patients because I have six children and training to be an obstetrician.
Speaker 2: Each week, Jana and I will be holding your hand, hopefully making you feel less alone, and we will talk you through the mysterious, perplexing and sometimes irritating miracle that is pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Week twenty four And what size are we at? A French press?
Speaker 3: I know, I don't really know where that came one week? Well let's go okay, what about a quacker A quaker?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Or like a large torch, A large torch?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, that's probably better.
Speaker 1: Corcker is good, yeah, Corcker.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to go with Aussie animals now, so I've tried to.
Speaker 1: Find an animal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every every week coming forward.
Speaker 1: Guys, and what is our quaker grown this week?
Speaker 3: So they're a full sized ruler thirty centimeters six hundred grams. The lungs are now starting to produce that sour fact and that we've already talked about, so they will increase quite considerably as they approach birth. It is why we give the steroids if we need it. But it's basically to reduce the surface tension in the alvola and allow that gas to exchange, and reducing is like respiratory distressing babies when they're born. The brain's growing rapidly, I think that's kind of a common theme now for the next few weeks, and they're laying down more and more and more fat, although their skin is still.
Speaker 1: Actually pretty thin, still quite red, quite thin and red.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they're still still quite a bit to go there.
Speaker 1: What's happening to me and what's happening to the mum?
Speaker 3: Your uterus is well above your belly button now, so you might be finding it harder and harder to breathe and just just being generally more uncomfortable, especially if you're having twins. You might actually start feeling Braxton Hicks contractions. So they are those practice contractions that women often talk about. This is around the time that the earliest ones we would think, oh, yeah, it's okay, it's just that prior to this week, get a bit worried that it might be labor starting.
Speaker 1: What does that feel like?
Speaker 2: Because we hear Braxton Hicks thrown around, thrown around all the time, and the only kind of visualization I have for this is period pain.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. Can you just break down what the well.
Speaker 3: Again, it's different for everyone, but it's a contraction itself, is determined by the uterus making a contraction. It's big muscle basically, and it contracts down and then you know, in doing so, you hope at some point will end up pushing and helping deliver your baby. But brax and Hicks can be back pain, it can be period cramps, it can be a contraction of the uterus that happens and then goes away quite quickly. The difference from real contractions is real contracts is continuous, they're regular, they last about forty five seconds, and they don't go away when you have a drink of water or lie down or get distracted. So if you're having Braxton's one of the tricks to it is ring a friend, have a really engaging conversation, or turn your favorite movie on if you've forgotten, because you've got really invested in the thing you're talking about. Likely those contractions of Braxton's and it's just practice. It's practice for when the real deal comes.
Speaker 1: Caveat here.
Speaker 3: Remember, infections can cause contractions. So if you are having a lot of braxton Hicks and they are taking your breath away a little bit, take a paracetamol. But it's probably also worth mentioning it your next medical or midwif free appointment, just in case there's something like a urine retract infection in the background.
Speaker 2: Is this normal?
Speaker 3: Is it normal?
Speaker 2: There's a couple of things I want to actually ask about in Is this normal? One is about getting a pregnancy pillow and laying and everyone says stop.
Speaker 1: Laying on your back.
Speaker 3: True, it should be about now actually that you start rotating off and off to your left side.
Speaker 1: Do you know why though?
Speaker 2: No, your blood something about your blood circulation and so you're big.
Speaker 3: You know, have your area water that carries blood to the pregnance into the rest of your body, and you have your VC. So your actual vessels that take all the blood away from the placenter get squashed by your pregnancy, so they lie on the back. They basically run up the back of your body, and when the pregnancy is lying on top of it, you actually stop venus return into the heart, and so kind of important to get off that.
Speaker 2: Is this one of those things of whatever's happening to you is also happening to the baby situations? Or is it worse for the baby than it is for you?
Speaker 3: Ah, A bit of both in that ultimately it's taking all the blood from your legs, so all the waste product that your body has used it. It's dropped off all the oxygen and it's trying to come back with deoxygenated blood. So you get problems with swelling, you get problems with pain, and then ultimately it's still all the blood volumes. So if it doesn't get across to the other side of the heart reoxygenate through the lungs and to the baby, you can, you know, theoretically, reduce the oxygen flow to baby. But please be reassured, ninety percent of women do the right thing and start on their left hand side and then wake up on their back freak out and say to me, have.
Speaker 1: I killed my baby because I've been sleeping on my back? I can't stop rolling. You do the best you can.
Speaker 3: So that's where the pregnancy pillows can help, because they can kind of help you propped up a little bit on that rotation. But please be reassured that you know people have been unfortunately sleeping on their backs, not on your tummies. Guys, I think it is time to try and get off your tummy. I did have that question a few weeks ago that the woman was still sleeping on her tummy.
Speaker 1: Cow yeah, would just be more uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: She propped pillows around her belly apparently, so I was like, Okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Sure, good for her, great, but yes, is this normal?
Speaker 3: Is it normal?
Speaker 2: The other thing that I want to know if there's and I really hope there's a scientific reason for this, Please tell me there is, Jana, Why I am a jerk?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I can probably speak to your husband about that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't actually don't don't speak to him.
Speaker 2: I think there's something about my empathy or when people talk it and I should be very careful because I'm speaking about a workplace that I work inside of is when people I don't know faff around with things that I feel it unnecessary, Like my whole body is just like everything you're doing is irrelevant against it?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so what is this?
Speaker 2: Nothing matters? Everyone is pointless. What is happening to my personality?
Speaker 3: I think it's multi factor all. I think, particularly for someone like yourself, because you and I have talked off air as well. You're still nauseous, Like, let's be honest, you're now almost approaching the third trimester and you're still more vomiting occasionally, and you're still naues. You're exhausted, you're not sleeping well enough. Like you've got a factor in that you're growing a whole human being and you're gonna have days where your emotions run wild because of the hormones. But you're also fatigued and tired. Baby's going to accelerate its growth, You're not going to catch up with the food you're taking in, and you just feel crappy. Back to that in with a husband who's not going through it and not understanding and who you think, come on, you could message my feet right now, but you're watching the football. It just doesn't quite go right, you know, So communication is key in that space, and again outsourcing if it's getting a bit overwhelming. It's just being aware of those triggers. We're all human, but having a fight with your partner's not going to help. So it's kind of one of those I don't know, go and be an asshole in a boxing bag rather than in your relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wouldn't drive me to work yesterday because it's not that right cool because it was raining.
Speaker 1: It was raining. He drove me to the station and I said, can you drive me to work? And he wouldn't.
Speaker 2: And then I like, like, such a good question. You are it, And I'm glad that this is recorded because I'll be playing it back to him. But I sat on the train and I just.
Speaker 1: Got really teary about it too, though, because I don't.
Speaker 2: Know if my brain has started to go in the end of thal s of like, well, now I'm in the cave and you need to protect me from the bears. And in the twenty first century, that is driving me to work, building me up hard. He still is just like, I don't think I need to drive you to work. I was like, well, you're not pregnant and.
Speaker 3: Look, you know there will be people who listen tos and go, oh, that's ridiculous. It's just you know, I dropped to work. But I think it's also we need to teach our men to be dads. And so there's a whole chapter that's coming in the head they're not ready for yet. And so we can choose cheeky ways like this podcast to sort of remind our women that this is the start of a big, long process ahead. And so it's a training process. And let's be honest, we have to train men in most things.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is such a good like leave it a pool. Now, what can we do on our to do list or the checklist this week?
Speaker 3: Well, we've kind of discussed it already, which is GDM, so diabetes in pregnancy. It affects about twelve to fourteen percent of pregnancies and twenty percent in Indigenous women. It's time to book it that horrible, yucky glucost test. But it's really important, so ideally somewhere between twenty four and twenty eight weeks. Again, a lot of pathology centers don't do it because quite a long test. You need two and a half hours and you need to be fasting when you go. So some centers, for example, only do them on a Friday, so un I need a book now in case they're booked out next week, rather than you find your midwife's having a go at you because you're thirty weeks pregnant, you're still have a done it.
Speaker 2: I have a tip on that actually is that if you are nauxious to call ahead and see if it's refrigerated the drink because it's yep, because it's easy to tolerate when it's cold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look at some people love it. I can tell you, as I said, it's the why really really hate that drink?
Speaker 1: I know how good for you is it? It's not nice.
Speaker 2: My tool kit is to stop following some pregnancy Instagram accounts.
Speaker 1: Oh I love you, just totally agree.
Speaker 2: Some people who have started to there's a lot of sleep advice that is being targeted to me at the moment already, like baby sleep advice or things like don't do this, don't do this.
Speaker 3: Or I'm doing push ups in pregnancy and I'm amazing and you're not.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, a lot of look how fit I stay in pregnancy?
Speaker 2: As someone who used to go to the gym five days a week and has gone down to well only just started going back to the gym, doing very soft pilarates and doing walks. I did get comparities disheartening, Yeah, and so it's unfollowing or just not looking at that content.
Speaker 3: Totally agree because we do enough comparing in life as it is, and I think every woman's journey is so different. And I mean, look, I am also an advocate though, to share your own warts and all kinds of pregnancies because there's not enough of us doing it, so you can if you want to go. And I'm not am I my pregnancy page because I talk about veins and everything that's come out of me is very authentic on Instagram. And I made that decision collectively a few years ago because I'd seen too many of the accounts you were talking about too many people and looked at me wrong. I'm a full advocate for women, you know. I am a powerhouse woman myself. I'm working as a doctor and I have so many children, so I'm all about propping women up and inspiring them. So sometimes you might be one of those persons who really enjoys looking at someone else doing amazing on Instagram, but there might be times you do to turn it.
Speaker 1: Off as well.
Speaker 3: So it's trying to find that happy medium, and that's the hard part is when is it enough.
Speaker 2: We hope you enjoyed this episode of Hello Bump. We have so many episodes of this series filled with tips and stories from women and experts who've been through it all before.
Speaker 3: You can go back and listen to everything else Hello Bump related in this podcast feed.
Speaker 2: And while you're there, we'd love if you could give us a five star rating and maybe leave us a review or even shared this episode with a friend.
Speaker 3: This episode was produced by Courtney Ammenhauser with audio production by Tom Lyon We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 2: This episode of Hello Bump was made in partnership with Huggies.
Speaker 1: Bye Bye.