Speaker 1: I got to a hospital and I was sat in the kitchen with no information, and I continued to ask, and they brought up Paul's name and Stephanie's name, but Crystal's name was never brought up. And I continued to ask about Crystal, and they continued to say, there's no such person. Hello.
Speaker 2: I'm Kate Langbrook, host of No Filter, and my guests today are Stephanie and Marie Browitt. In December twenty nineteen, the Melbourne mother and daughter boarded a cruise through New Zealand with their family. During the trip, Stephanie, her father Paul, and her younger sister Cristal joined a tour to Wakari, also known as White Island, an active volcano off the coast of New Zealand. At two eleven PM, the volcano erupted. Crystal was killed on the island. Stephanie and her father Paul, survived, but suffered catastrophic burns. Weeks later, Paul died from his injuries. Also, Stephanie spent months in hospital undergoing surgeries, skin grafts, and rehab, while Marie faced the unimaginable reality of caring for her surviving daughter while grieving both her husband and youngest child. But this conversation is not simply about the eruption itself. It's about what happens after survival. It's about grief, visible scars, motherhood, survivor's guilt, humor, resilience, and the extraordinary bond between a mother and daughter forced to rebuild their lives side by side after unimaginable loss. This is Stephanie and Marie Browitt. Stephanie Browitt, Marie Browitt, Welcome.
Speaker 1: To No Filter.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you having us.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: My girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Jane Kennedy, who I know you know, wrote the forward to your book and speaks very beautifully of you, and she says in the forward this book you may need to put down and take a few breaths while you're reading it, because both of you have endured unimaginable anguish. But you have also both of you fought for your lives. And it's an expression that people use, you know, casually sometimes, but both of you literally have, and the story of your survival both of you strikes me very much as a tale of love, a mother's love, a daughter's love, a sister love, a father's love, and the love of strangers who rose to meet you along the way. Why did you decide that now was the time to share your story with your book out of the ashes?
Speaker 3: I know for me personally, I needed to be in the right headspace emotionally, and I feel like I was going through so much still for many years after the eruption had taken place, because the recovery and the surgeries and operations that I was going through was taking a long time, much longer than I anticipated or thought it would take. And then we had so much going on in our lives in terms of the court case that we had, yes, and once that was behind us in a sense and we were able to go back to New Zealand and Fuckatani and meet some of the locals there and my heroes. I feel like that felt like, even though you can never know the perfect time, the perfect right time, but that felt like it had led us to the moment that was right to finally share our story.
Speaker 2: How did the conversation come about with your mum?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 2: I imagine Steph that it was you that you lead the charge on Is that right, Marie?
Speaker 1: It was always Stephanie's idea. I never planned to be a part of it. I'm glad I did, because I remained silent throughout the years and was somehow invisible and out of the picture. You were busy. I was very busy, but I never spoke, so my voice was quite silent. Stephanie did. She she took over and spoke out and so forth, and she really did want me to partake. And a few people said, look, you know, it is great that Stephanie has this power and this tool where and she has the ability and determination to write this book, which she actually started writing in hospital. Ah. She started writing it in rehab when I bought her a phone, yes, because her fingers, and I thought, I, if I buy her this phone or this iPad, we can commence rehabilitation and she can reconnect with the world. And because I saw a darkness in her eyes at that point, and I thought I was going to lose her, and I thought, she's completely disconnected. If I can somehow give us something back and reconnect her with the world or something or friends or anything, maybe she can gain some you know, perspective and get a fight back, her spirit back. And it did it work. So she started drotting things down. Whether it was to maintain memory, I'm not sure, so I always knew she wanted it out there. And it took a while because, as she said, we did have the case, the court case, and we had so much happening in Stephanie's operations of just being countless, and there's been so much healing, and when I was asked to join, I thought, no, this is Stephanie's project. I couldn't possibly And then I was convinced that, you know, there's so much in a hospital bed, but then nobody knows about the flip side of what was happening around her and what was happening in the background, and the failures that I noticed that took place, well, may failed me or the system and the people that came to support us, and nobody heard that story, and and you know, it was an insurmountable, you know, a tragedy, and it was you know, the odds were all against us, and Stephanie's fight was incredible, and I'm glad that she put that to paper, and that's why I joined you. And I thought, okay, I'll tell it as I remember it the word, and from what we experienced, I hope it represents us well on it. As you said, our family and the love that we share in the bond that we have. We've always had that bond.
Speaker 2: How was your family, So we're going back to twenty nineteen, and it was before the what's known as the White Island incident, the volcano, the volcanic eruption, that you were visiting as a family, not you, Marie, but on part of a cruise that you'd take in a celebratory cruise with your beautiful daughter and sister Crystal with Kay that's right, and your husband Paul had gone with the two girls. What did your family look like, because the sense is that they were a very that you're a very beautiful, bonded family.
Speaker 3: Well, we were always very, very close, and I mean close enough that we could pick on each other and fight with each other and then love each other all in one day. It didn't matter. But I valued our time together so so much, and when it came to things like birthdays or celebrations, I didn't care so much to catch up with people outside of the family. The thing I looked forward to most was our time getting out of the house and spending time together because we always had so much fun with each other. You know, Dad would joke around and act silly all the time and do silly things, and then we'd pick on. Mum always took everything with great you know, you took it really greatly. But we just you could see everyone on the outside, I don't know, could see how much we loved each other because we were loud, we were happy, we were joyous. We always had people at our place when we would celebrate or have Christmas East or anything like that. Mum would host the gatherings. Mum would cook up storm and my friends would always want to come around to have some of Mum's food, but also just to be around our family because it was infectious. And I felt very lucky and fortunate to have a family, to have the family that I did, and to see how much other people wanted to join and be a part, because I knew that not everyone gets that, not everyone gets happy family or you know, so I knew how valuable and lucky I was to have that as well.
Speaker 2: So at that stage, you were twenty three and Crystal had just turned twenty one, you'd had her twenty first and to celebrate that, you had gone on a family cruise, which you had done before and which was also a source of much joy and fun for you. And when you're on board the boat, which is a Royal Caribbean cruise, you hadn't been on that line before.
Speaker 1: We had. We had taken a Royal Caribbean cruise only eleven months before with a different evasion of disease was one. The other one was I can't remember the friendship, I continued, But you loved cruising. You were a cruising family. Were we holidayed. We made sure we took a holiday with the killers once a year. We wanted them to have a rest. Because of their studies. They worked quite hard and very long hours. Crystal especially would work the hours of a full time employee, supervising at our local woollies and also studying. Ven studied full time. She studied full time at university, and she also volunteered with r SBCAS And at the time she had just completed her her two days placement at Lord Smith Animal Hospital, which is where she was supposedly going to work because that's what she wanted to do, and I asked her to work locally. She said, no, I don't want to be part of a veterinary clinic which spends most of its time doing small things on euthanasia, which is something like I can't tolerate. I would rather be in a hospital saving saving souls rather than you know, I want to be part of the healing process. And yeah, so and Stephanie too, the poor thing. She was coming home so late at night. She was she had completed her art's degree and then did another hey, I'd find course and that was just coming to one end. So literally every year when you know, we were all so exhausted because I was also mum's care or seven days a week as well as working, and I thought it was a good good time to have a break with the girls. And we had taken this cruise before, but not this particular ship. We were constantly looking at upgrading to give the family something more interesting, something different, And we'd never been to New Zealand before and this was the first time we were going, and we were going to be celebrating or continue the celebration of my daughter's twenty first birthday.
Speaker 2: And also that was a lovely way for you to enjoy the family as well, because the against the backdrop of the family is that you also have a mess that you had had for a couple of decades. That's right, so, and that brings its own attendant issues. So a cruise is a perfect environment that you can all kind of relax together. And how beautiful that your girls wanted to come with you. Oh, they didn't have much choice.
Speaker 1: Always got a choice, Marie, No, they do. We were very lucky that we had two beautiful daughters. Very proud of both our girls. Very good kids. Actually they never posed an issue. They were you know, they were very loving, and they were dedicated to their education and to be inn a valuable member of society. They were, you know, they had very good morals and principles and we were very proud of that. As to you know, we did our all to install that in them and make sure that we were also blinded and connected as a family. And to do that, we wanted to make sure that we spent a lot of time together and we had dinners together rather than one in front of the TV. And now they're in the Yeah, so I you know, I always said we need to sit down at the table and connect. Food in our family was more about connecting mother than eating. But I made sure that that time was our time. It was a valuable time, it was productive. If we had something to speak about or something to that needed discussing or sorting out. This is the time to do it. Any concerns. And we laughed around the table, and we threw food at each other, so I had to clean up, of course. And yes, I was the source of their banter, and I did take it very well. And how we loved a joke, and we really value and valued and cherish the laughter in our home. We laughed and screamed a lot. We were so loud, I think the next suburb could hear us because my front door was always open and it was open to anyone that entered.
Speaker 2: And they were valued like family. So yeah, and also the girls you love nature, Stephanie and your sister, Yes, that's right. So then when you're on the on the bouche and one of the tours that's offered is an extraordinary opportunity really to go see to go to this place called White Island. What did you know of that at the time.
Speaker 3: Well, we were already on the ship at that moment when we came across the tour in one of the pamphlets that was on the cruise that was given to us, so nothing, we literally knew nothing except what we had just come across on that day. Right, We were a few days in and we thought we'd have a look at the pamphlet just to get an idea of things to do in New Zealand, not necessarily to book it to our from the ship itself, but just to get an idea of things that we could do it some of us stops, and that was one we came across, and I remember thinking, oh, this just sounds like something you can't really does elsewhere, and we may not come across this sort of thing again, maybe we can look into this one. So that's where my mind went when I first saw it. It didn't really say much except that we'd be taking a cruise out to White Island and enjoy as a beautiful lunch on board, and that it would be very scenic, yes, and it had the duration, and that we would need to be wearing clothes shoes because of the walking that would take place.
Speaker 2: And because of the walking. Your mom didn't end up going on that trip, and because of your limitations, you were like, this is I won't be able to do this. But Paul and the girls said, off, that's right, yes, Paul. When they noticed it. It's not like a colored illustration or anything like that. It's just a photocopy insert that they put in in every day.
Speaker 1: It's like a daily And it was just like a paragraph and there was a few to choose from, and it just caught Stephanie's eye. It sounded, you know, it sounded great. Really. I remember Kristal not being so. She was a little apprehensive because christ said, what a ripoff, right, because the boat excursions are always expensive. She said, this is a ripoff. Why should I pay this money?
Speaker 3: And we did.
Speaker 1: We never did partake in these excursions because we were very independent. We liked doing our own thing. But it's good to go through them because you had ideas of what you can do, and this one wasn't one we can It was something that you were forced to do with them, or you went with that. And the girl, Stephanie was very determined that she this sounded exciting, and it said sounded colorfull and life. She actually said, this is one since you actually said that. They were your actual words at the time. And I remember saying please, no, no, you know, and do a different one, and and and Paul said, and I'd say, okay, but I'll stay with you and I said, you're not staying with me. If the girls leave, you leave with them. And I remember him saying, I'm not leaving you here on your own, and I laughed, thinking, in a ship thousands of people, I'm not the one that's going to be alone. The girls will be you need. If they go, you go. And I said those words, and they did go. And I stayed behind on the ship because, as you said, because of my mess, my my ability was restricted. And in that brochure, in that in that paragraph, there was a picture of stairs because they have like yees and the only warning, and the only only warning was wear comfortable shoes, right. And immediately I said to poor I can't go, and he knew, and so off they went. And I didn't think that it would be dangerous.
Speaker 2: And in the meantime, Crystal had entrusted you with a with a with a mission, which was to get her key ring, which she collected from everywhere.
Speaker 1: I gathered that you went everywhere we went in it didn't matter where it went we went, which she collected a coin, and she collected a carring and souvenirs and also the what do you call them? The globes. Yeah, she always collected those, and on this particular one, it was like, well, if we're going out there, how am I going to get a caring? And I remember as I was getting pleased, I mean, I said, well, I don't really know where the ship stocked from where we were facing, you couldn't really see. And I said, I don't know it all all depend And she said please, and I said, and I know I can't heat and I can't do walking, and at the time I couldn't walk far. I was with a walking stick at the time, and I was using the aid and I said, look, I can't promise you. And it wasn't until stephany timing much later that she was asking total strangers to get this caring for her. But I felt terrible halfway through the day and I thought, no, I've got to do this for my baby, and I wanted to surprise the girl. So I did get off and surprisingly the buses were right there. It was all organized and was quite easy, yes, and they circled the town and it was either a public holiday or a Sunday. I think it was a public holiday, and ninety percent of the shops were shut, probably ninety five. And I did manage to go in one, and I actually found her name with the K, very unusual. First on the day. I can't believe it. On the day. What are the chances of that? Her entire life, she looked for anything carrying anything with a K. Her name was always it was always c which was after when the Fairies had come out. I remember thirty years ago now the products and the show, and it became a very popular name. But she's like she named after my grandmother, the great grandmother. That's my great grandmother's it's a very old Greek name, and it's Costalo. What does it mean. It means purity and clarity, and that's what she was. She was very crystal clear, just like her name.
Speaker 2: So you're on your mission to get the key ring and you're miles away Stephanie doing undertaking what has proven to be a really arduous trip, which also was not flagged.
Speaker 3: Yes, how hard.
Speaker 2: It was going to be to get there, that a boat ride in which everyone was violently ill.
Speaker 3: That's right, it, yeah, it. We saw the duration of the tour. We didn't realize that majority of that duration would be just getting to and from. Yes, I had no idea that the port we were stopping at was so far from where we needed to go for this particular tour. So we stopped at Taranga and there was a bus ride involved, which we had already become a big motion sick from that, and then that led us onto this little cruise boat, like a little jetboat. I'd say it wasn't very big, which was the one that was apparently advertisers being a scenic boat where you could enjoy your lunch on it, And it very much wasn't that. It left us seasick almost immediately.
Speaker 2: How many people on the boat forty.
Speaker 3: There were forty two of us, Yeah, yeah, forty two of us, including some of the guides that were going to be running the tours when we arrived. But a lot of those people, I'd say at least half were very much seasick. It was noticeable pretty much straightaway, with vomit bags being handed out, people being moved around the boat towards the back because that was apparently a better position to be in for the seasickness. But you felt it the whole way. It was just awful? Did it feel?
Speaker 2: And I know that to have these conversations in retrospect is different, but did it when you arrived at this you describe it as like almost a moonscape. Yes, this barren, rocky thrust of an island. Did it did anything about it other than the illness feel ominous to you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Not when we had just landed there, because I think we were so focused on just okay, we're finally on land. Yes, that wasn't my first thought, because I had already begun to feel bad for dubting Crystal for bringing for tuesdays just from the sea sickness. I was already feeling like crap. Yeah, and then once we were there, I was like, Okay, maybe it's going to be a bit better now, which is hard to say now back, but yeah, that's what we thought. So our main focus was Okay, let's just we're going to feel better now the sea sickness is gone. And then we're just taking in our surroundings and looking around at what's around and you know, it's very unusual. It's not something you see every day, let alone probably ever think you're going to see again. So it's cool in the moment. Yep, it looks very cool, very different and unique, very photographic, something fun to share. So in that moment, we're just taking in and you can't really I couldn't really see much from the crater itself from where we were beginning the tour.
Speaker 2: Right, So then you walked up a path to the crater.
Speaker 3: Yes, So then once the tour began, after the we were placed into two separate groups with two tour guides each. My family we were in the second group to be walking around the island that day. So we were following the tour GUIDs with one at the front and one at the back in a single file line so that we wouldn't separate and get lost. Yeah, so they were taking us around a pathway that they said we had to follow, which wasn't It wasn't a very clear pathway, to be honest, but we made sure to try and stick to where their feet were whilst they were sharing some information about you know, what some of the rocks were, and you know, there's a little stream running along and you know, have a feel, have a touch, you can do this and that takes some photo opportunities. Before we had arrived at the crater, which probably took about twenty five minutes to get there. You know, we weren't walking fast or anything. We were slowly but surely following along, and you know, as you were getting closer to the crater, you could tell because of the smell that was coming from very sulfurous, eggy, very strong and irony in a sense like if you were bleeding in your mouth. That sort of smell and taste you could feel inside your body. And that's when you start to realize, oh wow, this is huge. As you start to see the crater alive, it felt, yes, yes, it was in that moment, it.
Speaker 1: Felt a living lagon under the earth.
Speaker 3: That right, but very different from anything I had pictured because it's it wasn't explained to us exactly what we would be seeing, and in my mind, I'm picturing something like what other people go and see.
Speaker 2: Like a lava volcano, volcano from Hawaii, yes, which this wasn't it.
Speaker 3: And they were telling us, you know, to stay behind a certain line so that you don't get too close because it's like a huge ledge that was extremely far from one side to the other, and you're very much inland at this point because there are huge walls now that are surrounding you and if you look straight down, there was meant to be. It's meant to be a lake, crater lake, but that wasn't visible. It was covered in steam, right, and was it that day because of how boiling hot the crater lake itself was. Which way, which, yeah, very different. It's not what I expected, you know. I expected to see maybe some gray clouds rising out, or even just nothing, maybe just some bubbling down.
Speaker 2: So it's a gas volcano.
Speaker 3: It's a gas yes. So it's a freeotic eruption, which is a I think less common than the regular eruptions that people know of, so it produces it's a steam eruption, a gas eruption.
Speaker 2: I'll be back with Marie and Stephanie after this short break. And then at what point did it become apparent that you shouldn't be on the island?
Speaker 3: Well, I was a bit iffy from the get go once we were on the island itself, when the tour guide at first mentioned that it was a level two and we didn't need to be doing this a bit quicker than usual.
Speaker 1: Right, And how many levels are there at that time?
Speaker 3: I had no idea, but I believe now there's five, right, But the problem is three is an eruption, so twos one before an eruption right, But that wasn't explained to us, and we didn't really get a chance to ask questions before they moved on to the next thing that they were discussing. So in my mind it wasn't the two necessarily, It was that we need to move a bit quicker.
Speaker 2: Right some stage there, so they're hurrying you along, yeah, with a sense of urgency, or it didn't.
Speaker 3: Show a sense of urgency, but it was very much you know this, and then onto the next thing, this, and then onto the next thing. And we could see the other group up ahead and we were trailing a little bit of a distance behind them. But that was the first sense of okay, this does feel a little bit more dangerous. And then when they were mentioning that rocks could fall down and the possibility of rocks falling down from the side of the walls and to keep your heart hat on and everything, because none of this was mentioned until we were on the island itself. Yes, so that's the first time where the sense of okay, this is a little bit more dangerous than I expected began. But then as we were near the crater edge, yeah, I was a little bit scared just being close to it, not even because of an eruption itself, but just you know, I felt like this could crumble at any moment. You know, I don't want to get too close to that. Even as close as they were saying, I was like, yeah, maybe we can stay a little bit further back than what they're it did. So it was little things along the way that sort of set off a bit of you know, apprehensiveness. But then it was like, okay, but then they've brought us here. We wouldn't be here if they felt it wasn't a good day to be here, or if it wasn't.
Speaker 1: That if it was as an excursion.
Speaker 3: So that's where my mind's going. But then, you know, there was nothing to give away that an eruption was going to take place, not that I know of, Not that a noise sound or a look per se, or any concern on the guides up to a guide's eyes or anything like that. You know, it didn't feel like that was going to take place, And the chance of an eruption was never brought up either, So it's not on my mind. So we had taken our photos there, one of the last and final photo opportunity, and then we were told it's time to turn back around.
Speaker 2: And we're Crystal and your dad at this point in relation to you.
Speaker 3: So we're all traveling towards the back end of this singlephile line, and me and my dad are a few feet ahead of my sister because she's a bit further towards the back with the last tour guide practically taking a few more photos, and every so often Dad and I would turn back around just to make sure we were getting too far apart and to let her catch up. And I could see her chatting away as well, with the tour guide back there and looking like she was enjoying a nice conversation with him as well. So we were a few feet away, but still not far.
Speaker 2: And then, sorry, Marie, how is this for you to hear about this on the day?
Speaker 1: Not what I know now and listening to to Stephanie speak of it. I look at her and I know she's a miracle. She truly is a miracle. As you hear, they were at the back of the line, Yeah, that were the very last.
Speaker 2: Few And that means because you're at the back of the line, Stiff, does that mean that you were the closest to the eruption when it happened. What happened?
Speaker 3: Then, Yeah, that's right. So one of the last moments we turned back around to check on Crystal again, and it was only then that we had saw some dark row clouds coming out from the crater, coming out from where we just were a few minutes ago. And we didn't know that that was the beginning of an eruption, because there were clouds rising anyway, they were just a different color, yes, But so my dad's first thought was, you know, take a picture, you know, look at this, what's happening, not realizing that it's coming towards us. It doesn't look like that. It looks like it's just rising up and down. And then we heard someone from a distance as we were taking a photo quickly, and other people were stopping because they started to notice as well, the word run. And then that's when it's so someone yelled, someone yelled run from the very very beginning of the front of the line, which I presume was the tour guide.
Speaker 1: Who knew what was happening.
Speaker 3: Because even we had a tour guide at the back with us as well, and they were just staring at it with us as well in awe. So then the seriousness kicked in and Dad. You know, it's just seconds. Dad's repeatedly repeating the same words, run, run, run, and I just remember turning around and sprinting. You know, I'm thinking to myself, we're going to get hit with lava. That's my thought, because I didn't know what this volcano was, like, I just knew what I knew from movies or past things I had seen. And we're not going to make it if that's the case. So that's my line of thinking. So I was just very much focused on my feet and not tripping and falling.
Speaker 1: Over on the uneven that's right.
Speaker 3: It's a very rocky uneven surface. Yeah, And I was worried if I'd fallen, I wouldn't be able to get up again. And I could hear my dad and my sister not far behind me, so I knew they were right behind me, but I also scared to turn around also running. Everyone was running, but I had lost sight of everyone because I was so focused on the ground and not tripping, whilst also trying to put on this gas mask that we were provided right that no one was wearing at the time, because we weren't told that we had to wear this thing. At any point. It was as you needed right, so no one had their on so that was my main focus. And it feels like there's a lot of time making these decisions.
Speaker 2: But within split second, twenty.
Speaker 3: Seconds or so of running, we were hit.
Speaker 2: And when you say hit, is it a blast is it a it's.
Speaker 3: A huge knock you down for just a force, something hitting you from behind like it could have been a vehicle, a train, just something that you could not stop. It pushed me down and it held me down, you know, it was rolling. I couldn't fight it. And then at the same time, while this thing is shoving me around and pushing me down with such force, you know, I'm being burnt alive, really.
Speaker 1: Ash, You're you're falling into.
Speaker 3: Ash yep, vision gone, sight, sound gone. You know it's so loud at this point because you're in it, in the middle of it, in the midst of it. You're getting pummeled with just this huge, overbearing heat, but also little stones, rocks, things hitting you at the same time. That's also stinging on top of the burns itself. Whilst being shoved around on rocks and trying to you know, of course, my thinking is you've got to keep your eyes closed. You've got to not breathe, hold on to your keep your mouth closed. But it's very hard to do when you're fighting for your life and you know, you just want to scream because of the pain that you're in.
Speaker 1: And then you can hear your dad.
Speaker 3: I couldn't really hear anyone at that point. I think once I was hit, just the sound of the eruption itself, like a collapsed building or something like that.
Speaker 1: And how long did that last?
Speaker 3: I'm it felt like ages, but I think it was. It lasted maybe for like a minute or so for us. I think because we were at the back and our group was the most inland and closest to the crater, we were in that pyroclassic flow longer than other people.
Speaker 2: So I didn't understand this either until I was reading what You Shard in the book. So what was hitting was acid, heat and acid and rocks.
Speaker 1: You could have got a massive rock ten times the size of your head, or you could have got small rocks, right, and there were thousand degrees in heat, and so then you're lying in the midst of the burning earth and ash and debris.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I didn't think i'd survive just being in that paraclassic fly as it was happening. So once it finally stopped, I thought that was a miracle in itself. Yes, because I didn't think that would happen. I didn't think it would end, So it suddenly stopped, and it's just like, okay, now what And my first train of thought is I've got to get out of here. I cannot believe this has happened. It's so unbelievable. I cannot believe this has just happened. What are the chances and why?
Speaker 4: Why? Else?
Speaker 3: But I can't stay here if I'm alive now, I need to stay alive. And I instantly Mum's coming to my mind because she had always done her best in all to protect us from everything in life. She was strict, not for bad reasons, for good reasons, because she cared and loved us and didn't want us to ever get hurt. So Mum's coming to my mind because I know this is like the worst thing. Could it happen. It's our fear come true, her fear come true.
Speaker 2: And is a part of you thinking, oh my god, when I get back to the boat, I have to like Mum will be furious about this or were you thinking at this point.
Speaker 3: Partially it was just I need to stay alive to get to Mum right because she won't I don't know if she would make it is happening to us. But also, yeah, there's a little bit of you know, she'd warn us the whole lives to be careful and everything like that, and then this has happened, and a bit of both. But then so my thought is I have to get up, you know, I can't stay here. Staying here is a death is going to lead to death. So that's what I did. I attempted to get up so that I could get away and make it to the shore to where the jet boat had dropped us off to be seen. And I couldn't see anyone around me. I was alone at that point in time. And after a few goes, I did manage to get up and drag myself because I couldn't. I didn't have the energy to walk or take steps. I had to drag my feet through the burning hot ground, through the ash that was now you know, at ankle at reaching my ankles, and then what felt like forever, I then ended up landing. I fell down a little Mound Hill, and I remember landing among a group of people, and it was the first time I'd seen anyone since since the eruption had taken place, and I was just taking in who was around, trying to receive if Dad and Crystal were there, and they weren't, and I just remember thinking, I hope they're okay. I hope they're somewhere nearby, and I'm not far. But then I realized at that point that I couldn't get back up. Once I had fallen back down, I couldn't get back up.
Speaker 1: I was stuck there.
Speaker 3: And then my main focus was to just stay conscious, to stay awake, right, yes, because rescue would come.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the other part of this tragedy of errors, is it's a natural presumption that help will come. Such a catastrophic happening, help will come. But help wasn't coming unbeknownst to you obviously, you know you find this out later. But the actual rescue helicopter had been had decided not to come because it was too dangerous. So you're there with the other injured.
Speaker 3: For an hour, yeah, over an hour.
Speaker 2: Over an hour, that's and three guys. And I say guys, because that I want to say normal, but they're the most extraordinary people.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: They had heard what had happened, and they decided just to chop her out themselves and start helping m.
Speaker 3: Yep. I didn't know it at the time, but once they were once I heard voices on the island telling us that help is here, I just remember thinking, Okay, thank god, someone's here now, so that I can stop, so that this pain can finally ease, so that I can get out of here. I thought this hard so far. Now I've got the help to get me, help me do the rest, and just not to lapse into exactly consciousness. That would have been like a blessing. But you had to resist it. Yeah, I knew. I knew. I felt it in me that if I had closed my eyes, I wouldn't they wouldn't open again. I knew that, so I couldn't let that happen. And then these people are here, and I can hear voices finally telling us that help is here. Help is here, and then they're trying to I can hear them assessing people, and one of them comes up to me and he's rolling me over in a recovery position and trying to get the gas mask back on my face properly so that I'm not breathing in because it's ash and the airs filled with all this gases as well that we're still breathing in. So they were doing that, and then after a while, finally it was like, Okay, we're going to help you get onto the helicopter. We're going to get you off. And I just remember being so thankful, feeling some relief to be off the burning ground and to know that I was coming close to being in a hospital finally, and they placed me in a helicopter, and I think one of my first thoughts was, where's machinery, equipment, something for our injuries? But there wasn't any of that.
Speaker 2: That's when you became aware that it wasn't a medical rescue.
Speaker 3: I think subconsciously I became aware that it wasn't, But at the same time, I'm just thinking, Okay, maybe they're just in a rush, you know, I'm trying to find a reason for this, and then it's just okay, stay awake. We're nearly there. Once they had taken off. But then to find out that yeah, they were civilian, just random civilians who have to own a helicopter company themselves that had seen what it happened and heard about it and came out there to do what they did. That there are no words, because it means so much more to me than anyone could ever know, to know that they risk their lives for people that they don't know. They just did what they thought was the right thing to do. They did what they could for a fellow human being.
Speaker 2: Along the way, you, Marie and Stephanie, have encountered people like that who do who go above and beyond. The next part of this, obviously, is Marie, you finding out what's happened, which I gather was also a very complicated and chaotic chain of communication on board the boat.
Speaker 1: Barely any communication at all. I was very excited to hear my name get announced, thinking I'm getting called to reception, so they because Paul and the girls are back, and it's just an easier way for us to get together. I need to find that. There were a few people standing there and we still hadn't entered into a room where we could be spoken to for an announcement. I could hear people speaking amongst themselves in groups, and I was all by myself with a walking stick and everyone had company, and you know, and I heard I heard the word and I thought, no, this can't be true. What word eruption of volcano? I heard the word eruption? Of course not. You know, they look too happy, they're not, they don't look concerned. They're just talking amongst themselves about it. That this can't be real. So I continue to stand there. I thought, they're going to speak to us. Why are we just standing here for so long? Just standing there? And so then I called on someone and her English was very poor, and I said to her, look, I'm sorry, but I'm hearing whispers. Is this true? And justest that we believe? So something along those lines, and then we got taken into a very large room, look like a massive conference room, and people continued to talk in there, where I asked the questions and I said, no, this where are they now? This is they're back, right? And she said no, and I said where are all the passengers and she said, well, knife there alive. She went along the lines of more than what kind of erupted? And there's been no rescuers. They're all still there, so we don't believe any survivors. And that was how I explode. Yep, that's our casually, just from a junior person behind a reception desk that was speaking to me in broken English that could barely answer any questions of mine. As my insides exploded, I was left alone and she's talking to me about my entire family. That was my entire world, that's the whole fat, my entire existence, my purpose in life. And she's just like, oh, well, just like that. So as a mother, you could probably understand. And at that moment I died. And I remember a teenage girl walking from across the other side of the hallway and swore straight into my face with the foulst of language and time to shut the earth up. And then not even five minutes later, her elderly grandparent. I'm assuming, but they were all together. A family came up and said, excuse me, you know there are children present, can be quiet. This was my entire family, and I was told to be great. Right, So at what point did you find out that I went in for rule and Stephanie had made it to hospital. I was taken eventually back to the cabin and I was told to pack all our belongings. There was a I don't know how many people in that tiny cabin just watching me pack, and I'm just packing crystals and packing Pauls packing mine and Stephanie's and their carry bags. And I remember grabbing because we collected all the paperwork to all the excursions and all the places we visit. We always had the girls use them and cut them out in their albums, and I collected even the compass for that day. I had every single compass for every single day, including that excursion. They were zipped up into our bags, which later disappeared, so I never got them back. None of that was returned to me. I don't know why, but when we got our belongings back, that paperwork was missing, and people were watching, and I'm on the bed waiting because they kept sending it and now taking to the hospital because they believed some survivors have made it there. And I kept asking about my family, and they said they were talking in a different language. They were talking in two or three different languages, barely any English at all unless I spoke out and asked questions. And I think at this stage I was shaking, and I was trembling, and my heart rate was about one hundred and sixty and I was crying, and I kept begging and begging, please, please, anything, just any shred of information. And eventually they said, we believe a man identified himself as Paul Brower at the hospital. Now I remember, I don't know where I am. I just know that I'm in a town for Katani. That's all I know. And I saw somewhere in New Zealand, and I have no idea where I am, and I'm lost, and I'm confused and petrified. And then they I kept asking about I said, we have two daughters. What about my two daughters? I know. Half an hour later, we believe a girl also identified herself as Stephanie. Is that your daughter? I said yes? And Crystal, No, no one's identified them I said, no, I have another daughter, Crystal, And they said no, no one's identified themselves as Crystal. But you know, we're just waiting for confirmation. We're waiting for a car to come and get you. I don't know where everyone else went, or I don't know anything about anyone else in that other room because I was taking a little medical room where I kept begging for help and begging for sedation, and they took me hours and hours later they sent her a young girl. I think she said she was part of hospitality or kitchen with me in a car with an elderly gentleman that drove down this windy road for three and a half hours. And I got to a hospital and I was sat in the kitchen with no information, and I continued to ask, and they continued. They did say paula. They brought up Pauls name and Stephanie's name, but Crystal's name was never brought up. And I continue to ask about Crystal and they continue to say there's no such person. You end up in hospital in New Zealand and Paul's in hospital in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: You then get transferred to back to Australia. Daniel, Crystal's boyfriend, has volunteered to stay. I think with you, Stephanie, while you're with Paul Marie.
Speaker 1: When I was taken to the hospital, I assume my whole family were at a hospital.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember I don't know what hospital I was. I don't know. I wasn't in any state too. There's so much that I've just lost. I can't remember. But at that time I was in shock, as you would imagine. And they then said we've got I can't remember who I was even saw first now and I said, well, can I see them? I'm not yet they were in surgery or not yet or not yet. Eventually I saw one of them and I said, well, where are the other two? We don't know where Crystal is, but your other I can't remember. It was Paul or step was flying to a different hospital. I thought, oh my god. So I only saw one at the three and then I was flown I think the next other day after to see the other one. But by this stage I was missing. The Australian Embassy hadn't found me yet. Despite all my efforts to, you know, to identify myself and say this is my family. Paul is my husband, Stephanie is my daughter, Crystal Brow, the embassy had yet to find me. I was just somewhere. I was left in a kitchen, and then I was placed in a child's bedroom at a different hospital when I was transferred, and then I was told that oh, they flew Paul out in the middle of the night and that they were about to fly stephan yet and I needed to leave. And I remember saying I'm not going anywhere without Crystal, and I have another daughter and they kept saying, no, we have not recovered a Crystal. She's not in any hospital. But she was. She was at Fakatani, which is their first place. It was the first little hospital they were taken to before they were sent out to bigg A Hospital.
Speaker 2: And you didn't find this out till much later.
Speaker 1: Didn't find out until I was at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne. They forced me to leave. They said you have to go because Sephanie and paul a critical, so you may miss the opportunity. You need to go there critical and.
Speaker 2: Crystal had, as it turned out, made it onto the helicopter. You found this out from the three the three angels who flew the helicopter.
Speaker 1: She was alive, That's what they told me. And you're right. They are angels. They saw smoke from the mainland and decided to contact each other and say, look, can we just fly over, what if there are people there? And they did the unthinkable, and they risked their lives, the total strangers, and they saved lives. They did what you know, rescue was supposed to do, what they were being paid to do. It's like having a fireman say sorry, I'm not going into that burning building. It's just too risky. It's good enough for a towelp apparently it's not good enough to rescue anyone from that tour. But despite all they you know, they did. They're all these heroes and when I met them, it took five long years to build the courage to go there, and they had been and I asked Crystal. They told me that Paul refused to get on the helicopter. He was dying, but he refused to get on without with that, he said, I'm not getting on unless the girls and everyone else going first. And then he went on last. And they said she was unconscious but alive, and they promised me. They sat beside Paul and that Stephanie was seated right up front, and every so often they had to push her back because she kept leaning forward, almost falling into unconsciousness. They and I asked them how long and they said the trip was about seventeen minutes to the hospital, but they don't know what happened after that. But then I was told that the hospital pronounced her unrespensive, so in that seventeen minutes, I don't know much more than that, But what you do know is that your husband Paul and Stephanie are also perilously close today. Yep. So I was forced to leave New Zealand and come back with them, and the beautiful Daniel stayed behind, my beautiful sister in or FI owner which said I'll stay behind and and see, and Daniel came back with her on the aeroplane Talomarine Airport. No, it was it Tolomraene air I can't even remember or was it? Essence? I can't. If it doesn't matter, I can't. I just can't. My head. It's just too traumatic for me to recall and revisit a lot of things. Some memories are quite vivid, others are quite vague because it's just too traumatic.
Speaker 2: But then you have to encounter another trauma a word that's overused. This is genuine trauma of watching Stephanie in hospital who's got burns to seventy percent of her body, and your husband, Paul. You're trying to navigate being with both of them, You're trying to will them both alive. And Stephanie, where are you at this point? Are you aware? Are you conscious of what's happened to you? Your bandage like a mummy?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: Where are you mentally or spiritually or.
Speaker 3: I was comatose for a few weeks, and then it took a few days slowly waking up before I came to fully. And the moment I was awake, I knew what had happened, but I wasn't sure where I was. Was I back home? Was I still there?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: So that's on my mind. And then of course it's Dad and Crystal. Are they okay? You know where am I? Are they okay? Mum's the first face I see, as well as a nurse because they have an nurse sitting in the ICU room twenty four seven. Because you're so critical and I couldn't really get a sentence out. It's just words and if you need But Mum's telling me, yep, that's okay. He's here. Crystal's okay, she's at another hospital. So in my mind, that's the best case in Harrio that we all made it back and that we were alive, because I'm thinking, come away, come here. I'm conscious, surely this is going to be okay. Now we're going to recover and be fine, not really understanding and grasping just how long this recovery is going to be and how strenuous and horrific it is, but also not realizing that we're not really out of the woods yet. So that's my first train of thought. And of course, I see you is very my memories here and there, because I'm having operations every second day.
Speaker 2: I'm predated, dated, dated, drugged.
Speaker 3: Sleeping all the time, so I know some things but not everything. So it wasn't until I was moved around Year's Eve to the Burns Unit that I was sort of more aware of my surroundings and what's going on.
Speaker 2: And so that's been like twenty something days at that point.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, nearly a month.
Speaker 2: A month later, stay with us. My conversation with Marie and Stephanie continues after this break and so your Dad's still alive at this point, Paul's still alive, but your mum, Marie, You've made the agonizing decision to let Stephanie and Paul believe that Crystal is alive because he knew.
Speaker 1: I couldn't I could possibly I couldn't possibly hurt them many more than they were hurting. They were physically broken into pieces. Then mine was shattered. The trauma that was suffering I'm taking, trying to take the weight from them as much as possible, and all I could do really was lie, and I just felt horrible doing that. And the entire time I was reminded by the staff that if I didn't do it, they would, and I remember thinking that.
Speaker 2: Was very cruel. Tell them tell the truth about that.
Speaker 1: They continued to warn me that if I didn't tell them that they would, because when they were asked questions, they weren't comfortable with not telling them. And I remember saying, that was my family and it was my place, and I will do it when I knew the time be right, that I didn't want to hurt them anymore than they were hurting. So I told Stephanie that Crystal was in a better condition than her, but just at the raw maltbour, I think, I said. And then when Paul's in and out, in and out, he really was in and out, mostly him. He asked if Stephanie was alive, and I'd say, yes, she's in the room beside you. She's doing really well. We're just waiting for you to come home to get well. And then it says Crystal alive, and I'd say, of course she is. You know, we're all just waiting for you. To get better, and Stephanie would say the same thing. I'd say, Dad's right beside you, and he really was. They were side by side in ic you you know, they couldn't see each other. Of course, there was a wall, and then the glass was too high up which was frosted, and I had posters up and photos up, so I'd like to eat one of them to keep them fighting. I was too scared. I didn't. I knew that my husband would not have wanted to go on if he thought he and I both lived for our children. He would have done because he was with her. He would have borne the brunt of that. I don't know what he knew, but I believe he knew the severity of her because they gave me mybile phone and they told me it was paulse But I knew Paul didn't have a chance of charging his mobile phone between the three of us the girls, you know, the powerpoints charge their phone, so he left his phone behind, and I had his mobile phone, so he knew it wasn't here. Son, it wasn't his, So I thought, could this be crystals? Because I knew the police had Stephanie's. So I was very eager, and it was crystals. It was shattered. It was the glass was shattered. The phone was off, and I mean the battery had gone anyway, but it was broken. So for him to have her phone with one of her ID cards in the back of the means that she dropped it. He knew, and he took put on his person. She was unconscious, but she filmed her. She filmed the whole thing. She filmed it, the whole thing, right up to her death. It was just black. All you do is all you can do is hear the cries and the screams in just title blackness, which I then Stephanie took off me because I don't think I could hear the end of that. I knew that and I have never tried too, because I heard a nervous giggle as she was running for a life. That's my babe born girl. She was a premie baby. She was one of the girls you thought you'd never be able to have. She was my premie baby, and she thrived. She was so hard working AND's so smart, so kind and generous, the most honest thing on this planet. She couldn't tell her life. She tried, So what you have now endured would reduce most people to a helpless mess. But you can't be a helpless mess because you have Stephanie Paul. When you found out that your dad was dying, which was like a month after you'd been in hospital, on the anniversary, one month for the latter, on the ninth of January, I noticed she was slipping away and I was doing like all and yelling and asking for them to take him back into you. I don't know why that took him out of ICU, and they took equipment off him when he was struggling to stay alive, and he wasn't raped properly, and he had exposed skin and I could see it and smell it and the oxygen, and he had no fluids and no bloods. They were just nothing nothing. There was nothing being replenished. And I didn't understand why he was there. And when I was talking to him and asked him about his pain threshold, he said fifteen.
Speaker 2: And he gave him what he said, one to teen and he said fifteen.
Speaker 1: And then yeah. I asked him to fight, and I said please, and he said he yelled at hell, and he tried to lift his arms, but he was weighed down and I could see his arms were but and I kept begging, and they kept saying, we've let the doctors know. The entire day was we've let the doctors know. And there wasn't anybody that dared to come into that room. People that were going in to say Stephanie would not. They were too petrified to enter his room because he was only two doors from her, and so you had to pass him, and they looked the other way. It wasn't It was pretty yeah, And so I kept begging and begging, and then at night, idiot night, not a burns doctor or anyone from there, just an emergency doctor was came up because his alarms kept going off because there's blood pressure and his heart rate were extremely dangerous levels. It wasn't looking good. And his eye one of his he was staring through me rather than at me. He was tearing through me and through the photos I was trying to show him to encourage got them to skin graft. I asked them too when he was in ICU, because it was they never switched off those lights. The lights were just when his eyelids were gone. His eyelids were slightly burst. I asked the heather Cleland, the wonderful Heather Cleland that saved Stephanie's life, if she could please grab some skin on his eyes because it was cruel. He hates the lights. He hated when I slept with the TV on, he would put a blindfold on because he hated the lights. And she did, she did. But he was quite grave at this stage, and they promised me that they would look after him, and they told me to please go home. They continued, you need to go home. And that was on the ninth of January, and on the tenth I found him in I found him back in ICU. And you knew when you saw him he was incubated again, I think, because but this time just other than from the night before. The night before, he was lucky to look like he was forty five kilos and he was a six foot man. He was a tall, tall man. And then the next day he was enormous. He was swollen and enormous, and I couldn't understand it. And I walked in and I was just so happy that they put him back into a coma because I thought, now he won't he won't feel any pain they've induced him, and he won't be in any pain, and I'll give him time to heal. And then I went up to see Stephanie, and I went back to see him. Then I went back up to Stephany. He was unconscious. I could just hear the heartbeat. All I could. He was the oxygen, the machine, the oxygen, his lungs going in and out in the heart. And then the next morning, as I was waiting for as the driver, the taxi driver that came fair became, here's my stay in my stadion and they rang and said what time are you coming in? I said, now, I'm just waiting for my left and they said, oh, his brain activity doesn't look the best. You might want to come in as soon as possible. And when I got in, instead of letting me see him, they took me straight into a meeting room and there were two mile doctors there telling me that there was no brain activity in and they couldn't give me a straight answer as to why.
Speaker 2: And then Stephanie got wheeled in to say goodbye to your dad. Yep, And you were only barely out of yeah, out of your coma and yourself.
Speaker 3: That's right, yep.
Speaker 1: I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I had been awake not long at that point, but long enough to have been told about my sister's passing, and then that's the worst news I could hear. But I'm thinking, Okay, a month later and I'm hearing things about Dad every now and then, possibility of him passing away, of anything else happening at this point doesn't cross my mind. It doesn't feel like it could bear thing. I'm thinking, if we're in hospital this long, we've made it so to have Mum and staff be present and tell me that he's on life supporting, we're going to have to let him go.
Speaker 1: Hmm it.
Speaker 3: Yep. It was shocking in every way imaginable because it didn't feel like it could be real, didn't feel like it could be a possibility. And then to hear the impossible happened in my mind. This my dad, who you know, he had always been. He's always been a soft a softy at heart, but he'd always pretend and put on a facide, you know, of being a strong person, Marcho man, a protector, a protector.
Speaker 4: And then to see him when I was taken into the room the way that he was, and after hearing him and the pain in his voice on the island that day, as well.
Speaker 3: It didn't feel right. I didn't want to see him in that way you hear him in that way. I didn't want to lose him after everything that we had already gone through losing Crystal. Yeah, it was you had to let him go, yep. And I had to see him like when that opportunity when they said to do that, I could not do that. I had to to say my goodbyes and to let him know how grateful I was for what he had done. You know, he broke he kept me alive that day when he was shouting my name, and you know, not realizing until later, but he had also made sure we got on the helicopter first. Put his kids first. And I always knew that's the type of parents we had. They always put us first in life. So that was the least I could do, was to see him and thank him and share my love with him. As emotionally traumatizing as it was to to see him that way, and to witness Mum and the way she was when she was saying her yep as well.
Speaker 2: And this is at this point, you're still in a perilous situation, yourself.
Speaker 3: Physically heavily bandaged and can't even I can't even kiss him or touch him properly because of the way I was. And when I found out about him as well, I was angry at myself for not seeing him before, even though I don't know how that would have worked because of the way I was and the way he was. But I felt angry at myself like I had let him down because I didn't get to see him when he was conscious.
Speaker 1: Sometimes or that was my fault. That was my fault. Yeah, but I couldn't. That was my fault. I don't know how it would have been possible because I've been connected to all the wires and the screens. But that is my fault. That's not your fault. That was me. That's just how it is. That was me, but more wanting you to see him in that statele for him to see you in that state.
Speaker 2: But also it may not have been possible. It doesn't seem like it was physically possible, and also like the hospital would have been able to facilitate that, because then your focus has to change to literally keeping Stephanie alive.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And even when Stephanie was awake, she did us, she didn't to see him. How could I if Paul had seen Stephanie in that state, yes, that would have been the end of him, in that very moment. He would have had a heart take. Yes. And remember I'm lying at this stage still Stephanie and telling her that a dad is recovering. Well, yes, I'm saying to one of her, yes, going they weren't. Neither one was doing well. And even when Stephanie went into the Burns unit upstairs, I was constantly reminded that she was still in a very very precarious situation, that there was no promise of her life.
Speaker 2: You know, I said earlier that it's a tale about mother's love. Well, that's the hard part of it that you took on. That's the hardest thing.
Speaker 1: That you could do. But you did it because you knew that it was the right thing to do to help Stephanie. I didn't have any choice. I had to fight for them and advocate kareher, and I had to take the brunt of all of it to pretend. I hope I was protecting I was trying my best to protect them their entire life. I did might want to protect them. Maybe I was a little over protective. I don't know, but I was proud of the fact that they were doing well in life and no healthy and then this happens. I don't understand. I can't fathom it. I just I just I still haven't accepted a lot of.
Speaker 2: Day in the book, we ran out of luck.
Speaker 1: Because I felt so lucky to have had my own family and a beautiful husband and children, a dedicated a father and family man that preferred the company of his own family then going to the footy or the cricket or the golf and I would have to force him out of the house and go, go away, go play some cricket.
Speaker 2: But all of this was through no fault of your own and Stephanie, Stephanie's suffering, which was that in itself is an extraordinary story of your spirit and your will prevailing, but that your mum also took on when you had to have eight of your fingers amputated.
Speaker 1: That your mom once.
Speaker 2: Again was like, she has to hear this from me, That you never took the path of letting you know, doctors break these terrible news. That you were always like, I will tell her.
Speaker 1: I didn't want her to break because I remember, this is my child that has very naive and innocent, and she was thrown into a situation where this is your worst nightmare, this is what nightmares are made of. And I thought, she's not going to You can't have a stranger to say this. She's psychologically she will not take well to this. I'm going to lose her, and I almost did after fingers were amputato and that was needed to come from me.
Speaker 2: Yes, when when you first saw your unwrapped body, which was six months maybe was it?
Speaker 3: No, No, it was I'd say about two months months towards the end of February. They felt that I was. They thought I'd be able to get through the dressing changes, which were done previously under sedation.
Speaker 2: This whole time, I was so agonized.
Speaker 3: They're one of the worst parts of the recovery. They thought I'd be able to tolerate it whilst awake, but with strong medic pain medication, and I just thought, if they're telling me that I should give it a go, I guess I can give it a go. But that meant also seeing my body unwrapped for the first the first time, because under sedation they'd unwrap me and wrapped me back up. By the time I'm awake again, So that was the first first time when they took me in to do that, that I saw my body, and it was very conflicting and confusing, and a lot of emotions were We're going on inside my brain, you know, I'm seeing my skin and it's black in some areas, and I'm thinking to myself, is this necrotic? And my legs can't falling off of they dead? And then they're having to explain to me, no, no, no, that it's this silver material that we're using and it's stained your skin gray. And then I'm looking at my fingers that have been amputated, and I'm seeing all these stitches and it just looks in my eyes, it looks horrible, looks horrendous. It's ugly to look at, and I'm thinking, how these fingers are gonna heal? They look disgusting. There's like a skin patch here, a skin patch there, And they're telling me it's still early days, you.
Speaker 4: Know, you.
Speaker 3: Had point my body was the first part that i'd seen.
Speaker 1: It was not wanting you to see your face or her face, So your face in New Zealand, I walked into a room and she was just laying on a silver metal table like they have a cadabra. She's laying there, unconscious, flat, and I looked at her face and I that as part of your ear was chopped, and she had dark skin here and a patch there, and it looks like she was somebody had sewn and put together in a quilt, and blood here and blood there, and wall sticking out, and your eyes looked like they were glued together. They I don't know what they had. And I thought, my man here on my own and I remember screaming, you know that, because nobody was sort of holding me up. And then I walked out and I I just couldn't believe it. I thought, no, this is just not goot to make it. This is not my child. And she was swollen, that was so swollen, and I thought, there's no way known Stephanie would want to live like this. I didn't realize that. Progress look look at it today and I think the grit this girl hats, the determination, her determination. I don't know if it's stemmed from the love she has for life or me. I don't know if she says incredible. In fact, you said something I love in this book and it's really simple, but it's just so perfect, it says where you're talking about what you can endure, and you say, I learned something new about myself almost every day in hospital, not just how amazing my body was and how it functioned in ways I never imagined, but also the power of the mind. Body strength is one thing, but the strength that comes from your soul is a superpower waiting to be tapped.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's true.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: You don't realize it until you have to through it, until you're forced to find it. But when you need it, it's there in your mind, in your body. And you know, looking back when I see photos of myself at the beginning in my comra and just hearing about my injuries and what the surgeons thought when they saw me, and then seeing where I am today and what I've had to go through, I know it's remarkable.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's something I look at myself and I think to myself, it's stuff that I shouldn't have survived, or it's very odd to see how far the skin has come from what it looked like on day one. It's just I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen these photos or heard what I and knew what I knew about my injuries and understood so to know that the body can actually endure that and come out the other side. But you know that's through all of the help of the pilots who rescued me, the surgeons, the physiotherapists, every single the nurses, everyone. But then I have to remind myself because people are always telling me how strong I am, how stronger I am, and it's like, I don't know. I just dive it. I had to. But then I sometimes I do sit back and I think to myself, No, Stephanie, you need to give yourself some more credit, because there were so many moments where you wanted to give up. There were so many days where I was just screaming, and I was needing top ups of medication just to be touched, and I had Mum in tears because I'm in tears screaming and yelling at everyone not to touch me. You know, there were so many horrible days like that. But I made the choice to keep fighting. There were choices made, whether I realized it or not at the time. I could have given up and just stayed in that state, but I chose to continue on. I chose to do the recovery. I chose to get through the therapy sessions, so I have to remind myself sometimes yes, of that as well.
Speaker 1: It is a choice despite if it wasn't for the staff, the incredible surgeons and the nursing and the specialists and the heroes and everyone in between. You know, the body is an amazing thing. The human body is an amazing thing, and how it heals and now.
Speaker 2: In tandem with the spirit. But that's what I say.
Speaker 1: But if we don't have that connection and the mind is not at play, there is no way known she would have survived. She had bad days, Don't get me wrong. She had days where she did want to give up, and she questioned, of course, she questioned her her future, and she questioned her life and asked why she also has this? She lived with guilt, Why me? Why did I survive? Why aren't they here? I don't want to go on anymore? And what sort of a life am I going to have? What's the point. These were the days that she was reminded of her value of a spirit. And every day I told of the one thing morning and night, and that giving up. And there were even posters at home. It was all over the fridge, all over the walls. Giving up is not a choice. Giving up it was never I made sure she knew it was never a choice.
Speaker 2: But also it was not a choice for you, because Marie. If Stephanie had given up, where would you be? I almost did because I saw my child. When you see a child returned to you in the way she was returned, you die. I don't see colors anyway, and you see gray now. And it doesn't matter what people say. You don't hear from losing a child. Some people are braver than I am. Perhaps I don't know, but time has not helped me in that respect. And then to watch your husband suffered a death and the screaming, it's just it's just too traumatic for the mind. Sometimes it breaks you.
Speaker 1: But when I've got when I thought about Stephanie and thought, what if she does survive, I'm not leaving my child here on her own. The love I have for family is far greater than any pain that I felt. And that was the Thing's The love I have for family is far greater than any pain I could have felt. So I had to put myself last. I always put myself last. I was never considered I never considered myself. I never fed myself, I never took care of myself because I was no longer important. My priority was to make sure for each of one of them was taken care of till the very end. And I you know, somebody said to me, you're you're so brave. We don't know where you get your strength, and you know you're where you know. I was like, well, I'm not. I didn't. I don't have strength. Strength found me. I didn't find strength. Strength found me. It found me when I needed it to survive. And I had to survive to help Stepney subvibe because I knew she wouldn't want to be here without me.
Speaker 3: I don't know where I would be today if I didn't have my mum by my side throughout all of it. I needed her, you know, I would. She'd be with me practically all the time. But it didn't matter. The moment she left, just to go to bed at night, just to go home, just for the night, I would cry and begar not to leave, and it'd be like, please come back, please come back. That's how much I relied on her support and just her presence, and she was there every single day, no matter what.
Speaker 1: And when she came home things changed too. I didn't want her to know the truth of the shock of what the help home was, that the home had gone. There was no longer home. It was just a It was just a dark house, got the blinds down, and there was nothing your dog about her. He had the dog six months is only six months old. When he was a surprise, because I've been we'd lost a collie not long before, and the girls that his suffering was quite tremendous, and it wasn't. It was something that was fixed in crystals and stuff and his memories. And I thought, what do I do? And somebody said, we'll get him another colleague as soon as you can. It will help heal their hearts and so forth. So we had already organized this holiday and paid for it, and then came the collie, and I thought, oh goodness, because the last thing I wanted to do was put a six month old popular kennel. But I had no choice. As I said, he was a surprise, and I did fight for him. Is the best thing that's ever happened to us. He certainly saved my life. But he knew there was a difference in him. I thought, I saw his spirit fade away. He used to talk to us, didn't he He'd talk and how like a like a husky and tell usoft and he was so playful. And then each day when I got home, he became very depressed, so much so that he ended up in hospital three times himself. Oh, he was very depressed. He got very, very sick because he slept in Crystal's room. And I think Crystal and Dad were more his person than we were. And they soiled him. Yeah, they spoiled him rotten. Crystal bought him a toy every three or four days. He was the most spoiled and still is the most spoiled baby. But he saved my life because one day I went home when Paul had passed, and then I was told that Stephanie probably wasn't likely to make it either. And I lived in lines were down, the doors were closed. I was too scared to go into my bedroom or into my cupboard, scared to enter Crystal's room that would just flowers, candles and cards everywhere. And I had no one at the house. There was nothing. All I had this coffee and a jar of jam that I took my medication, and I said goodbye to God, my God. I remember looking up thinking, how could you be so cruel? We begged he went there, and then I got a phone. After the Arlo barked me and looked up at me, and I just looked at me and wrapped himself around my legs and he jumped up, and I thought, but then, what will happened to you? And I cried. I remember falling to the tires in the middle of a hallway while people were knocking on the door, and it was the media. The media were just knocking on the draw and the phone was ringing, and that too was the media. And I just kept crying and screaming and holding my ears because I thought, how do I escape? Because I just wanted to get to hospital. But then I lost sight there for a moment and almost took my life. And if it wasn't for Lah, it wouldn't be here today. It reminded me that he too needed me.
Speaker 2: The strength of both of you is quite remarkable, and the people that you have attracted to yourselves because of your strength and the beauty of your spirit. And I'm very happy that your court case, the prolonged and protracted and brutal court case with Royal Caribbean was settled in your favor obviously. Do you feel like I know that you have come to love yourself against stef.
Speaker 1: What do you.
Speaker 2: Dream of, think of wish for for the future.
Speaker 3: I want a family of my own. That's incredibly important to me because of how much I valued us and the memories we made and shared. I want to be able to pass that on and crept my own family. But I I just want to live a very fulfilled life. I want to make the most of it because I know how close I was to losing it, and my dad and sister did lose their lives. They deserve to be here still, and I don't want to let them down. So I just I just want to live a life where I can help other people and make a difference and just pass on stuff that I've learned myself after what I've had to endure.
Speaker 1: I think this is already making a difference.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 1: Sorry, don't you think as a mother watching her evolve and grow and find herself again and accept her self for who she is, and the beauty of watching that is just extraordinary. And we were an ordinary family. It's thrown into you know, an extraordinary predicament, and she just wants to be ordinary again. She wants to have an ordinary family, but on the same token make a difference to body positivity. Through her experience, she can honestly say, you know, when she says burn survivor, she doesn't mean burn survivor. She's a survivor of a volcano, not just a burn. I know that she is quite freely at the moment, which almost diminishes. You know, that's not without you know, I'm not trying, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Because I learned from the book the nature of the burns are very different, very much, and normal burons that the acid.
Speaker 1: Continues to burn continus.
Speaker 2: Doctors had to keep taking tissue and tissue so.
Speaker 1: An unbandage and there'd be you know, so I had it that it went really well. Bart and then two because she was having surgery. Both of them were having surgery. You know, they say twenty in the book, it's not twenty. She was having surgeries every second day. Both of them were having surgeries every second day. And on the day they weren't, they were in a hyperbartic chamber for hours and it was just and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you're talking about people who have boons.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And that's when I was told. Because we had meetings every Tuesday, which I tried to avoid because I found the truth too hard to bear. I just wanted to run in. I just couldn't get that fast enough. I couldn't breathe just about like the oxygen mistaken. I needed to physically see them. And remember, I can't even touch them. I can't kiss them, I can't hold their hands, can't do anything, just talk and all you want to do is hold them, and you can't, not even a touch, and I was reminded of their fragility, so I couldn't but I just wanted. I was so eager to get to them rather than be in a meeting. And I knew the meeting was never good news. It was never good news. And I remember one Tuesday, I was told that even though that grafted, the grafts came off, the graphs did take and I never understood why. And they said, well, every time we take the bandages of, we have to keep cutting again because it's still it's still it's still the acid is still going, it's still eating the flesh away, and it's still and I kept saying, well, don't touch her hands. You know they will grow back, skin grows. Give it a chance. No, no, no, Marina said, no, no, no, you are not touching her hands. You promised me you would wait, because I didn't. I didn't know, I've never I didn't see the photos at that stage. Yeah, and I kept saying, but skin grows, give this chance, give us fingers a chance to heal, because I didn't think that she would cope. If you know, but not only is she coping, she's thriving because she's got this positive attitude. She doesn't ever complain. When she came home.
Speaker 2: She did because she hated herself. She hated what when she.
Speaker 1: Looked in the mirror, which I did my all to hide from her in hospital. The first thing I did when I entered the room was looked for a mirror, and the last thing I did when I left was make sure there was no mirror because I thought, I don't want her yes to confront what she said was to confront you. I didn't want to see anything. I thought, give it some more time, it will get better. But so, yeah, so you know, to see her go from that to where she is today, she's beautiful, credible, And she did complain then, but she doesn't. She's never complained since. She just because she that was the that was the fight, that was the fight she had to overcome. She overcame it, and she did it and now she's as she looks at her cars differently. They tell a story of her survival. They tell a story of her journey. They tell a story of her grit. And you know, she says, I've got you to thank for that, because you, you know, you inspired me, you inspired my fight. But no, I think she did it all by herself. But she doesn't think that she extraordinary.
Speaker 2: You are extraordinary. That's not even kind reminded of to repeat, who I meant a lot to you?
Speaker 3: That's right, yep.
Speaker 2: And her partner said, people talk about going through hell, but Teria went to hell and hell spat her out.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's exactly right, and hell spat you out. She inspired me in so many ways. The same with her her friend Kate, who was a part of the same bushfire. And you know, to have someone like her out there online for me to see, you know how fast she has come from her own injuries, which I know were just as awful that really gave me an extra layer of fight to get to where I am today, and so I felt it was just as important for me to do what she did, which was to share her story, speak up and help other people by bringing awareness, but also you know, by giving people insight into who she is, just who she is today, an everyday person, her life's real, her family. She's showing people that it's possible to live an ordinary life after going through something so extraordinary, and that's what motivated me, I think also to speak out and share myself, my story and my recovery online. And you know, at the time, I was a bit iffy about doing so, because you know, I'm opening up and sharing things that I wasn't feeling great about myself. I wasn't even sure I was in the right headspace. But I pushed myself to do it, and I'm glad I have because it helped me as well mentally recover. I didn't realize it at the time, but by sharing and with my dark sense of humor sometimes which I get from my dad, I don't think I would be where I am today, but to hear how it's helped other people to inspire some fight to get through hardships for other people, but also to see other people and read messages about people getting through and overcoming their own body issues with their own body, their skin, their looks, disabilities, and how it's had a positive impact on them. Just being who I am, just sharing stupid things, sometimes funny things, you know. I look back at some of the videos and nar a bit I feel a bit cringe and I'm like, no.
Speaker 2: But that's always the way.
Speaker 3: I'm grateful, and I'm grateful to all the people who have supported me along the way. Whether they've realized it as well, the community means so much to me, and they've helped me as much as they say I've helped them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh brow, it's Stephanie, Marie. I cannot thank you enough for sharing yourselves with us. I wish you every happiness. I hope, I hope that comes in a form. Think what stayed with me after my meeting with his mother and daughter wasn't only the scale of what this family has lost, but the extraordinary tenderness between them, the way they carried each other through something almost impossible to comprehend, and also somehow the humor they've managed to hold on to alongside all of that grief. Stephanie often speaks about wanting peace, and I think that's what moved me most listening to her, not just her survival, but the life she's slowly rebuilt afterwards. In a body and a world changed forever Today, Stephanie has become a powerful advocate for burn survivors and body acceptance, sharing her journey publicly with hundreds of thousands of people around the world. Stephanie and Marie's memoir is called Out of the Ashes, and it's out now. If you like to hear more conversations like this one, follow no Filter wherever you get your podcasts. I'm Kate Lanebrook and I'll be back next Monday with another unforgettable interview.