Speaker 1: The information in this podcast is provided for education and research information only. It is not a substitute for professional health advice.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Kick your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnant, pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 1: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to be born and.
Speaker 2: Our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 1: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone. I'm Bridgid Maloney.
Speaker 1: And I'm obstetrician doctor Patrick Maloney.
Speaker 2: And today we've got a topic that I think is common.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people know about herpes, but do they really know about herpes in pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's really relevant because you know, herpies infections can be recurrent and the same person who's struggle with a few recurrences of the virus over there teens and twenties, one of they might want to be pregnant. It does have important manifestations in pregnancy that we need to discuss.
Speaker 2: I want to start by asking what is the difference between a cold saw and genital herpes.
Speaker 1: We normally use the word cold saw to describe the lesions on your lips, right on your face, and they are typically caused by subset one of the virus, Herpy's simplex virus one, but not always. And then there's the genital sorts, which are usually herpy simplest virus two, but there's some there's some interactions. Sometimes the facial ones are two and the gentle ones are.
Speaker 2: One, and you wouldn't really know the difference unless you've got it tested. There's no difference in the legions, No, not really no.
Speaker 1: So anyone who's had the herbies cold saw virus on their lips knows that it can be recurrent, that they're irritating and painful, that they can pop out when you run down or overexposed to sun or to me late nights or when I was a hospital doctor treating a patient in the emergency department who had a really bad case of Col's horse and she was telling me about how she'd been not looking after herself, to me late night's drinking too much, And I said, oh, well, you know, should stop that.
Speaker 2: How old were you when you said.
Speaker 1: There, yeah, and I was like an intern and one of my mates was listening from the next cubicle in Wench went so, you know, they're kind of part of life for young people. But for today's purposes, we're really talking about the genital lesions and there and their importance in pregnancy.
Speaker 2: I want to just tell people about my UNI days. And I was just probably like an eighteen year old, straight out of home and going to the doctor by myself for the first time. Abo's something totally unrelated to the cold salt on my lip, and all of a sudden, I had this GP talking to me about you do realize that you can't be giving oral sex because of the colds are on my lip, and I just was so embarrassed. I think I just picked up all my pieces of paper or whatever and just left.
Speaker 1: If I know that that was going to be mentioned, I would not have known. Look, the relevance of the facial lesions to pregnancy is really just that if you've got one of those when you're at full term and the baby coming, the baby's susceptible to the to the virus within the first month and can become seriously unwell. So the problem with having a facial lesion when the baby comes is really shouldn't be kissing the baby, and that is you know, sad, yeah, and and upsets people, And it can be worth discussion of suppressive therapy laid in pregnancy for someone who's had multiple out outbreaks of facial herpes to prevent it happening at turn, you know, avoiding kissing the baby even though it's even though it's sad, it's something we we could also do. The genital allegions are more serious because if the baby comes out through the gentle tract and picks up herpose from a lesion on the volver, it can be very very serious.
Speaker 2: All right, And I do want to get into that just to highlight how common this is. The who says that about sixty four percent under the age of fifty have the HSV virus HSV one virus, and about thirteen percent age between fifteen and forty nine have the HSV two. So that's that's really common, isn't it yea super common and people, as you said, it can have both. So tell us why are we nervous about herpes in pregnancy?
Speaker 1: Well, often the legions we're talking about are are recurrent. So just as you could be if you've been exposed to purpose in the past and had a couple of little blisters on the labia and then they went away, they tend to come back at times when you are run down, overworked, too tired, poor sleep and so forth, And a lot of those conditions apply to late pregnancy, so a recurrence in advanced pregnancy is a real possibility. The thing with herpoes is the diagnosis is often not that difficult because they hurt and painful. Genentitle lesions are unlike most of the other genitle elections. If it really hurts, that needs.
Speaker 2: To be checked for herbs, and it would make someone go to the doctor there take.
Speaker 1: A swab and get diagnosis. But you know, if you're prone to recurrences and you might get one at term, then the danger is that you could have a subtle lesion. Baby could get pick up the herbies on the way out during the birth process and become seriously unwell.
Speaker 2: And what does seriously unwell mean?
Speaker 1: You know, in a high risk situation, the pedatricians would look at things like, you know, babies that were had any sign of any serious illness like listless or abnormal observations of fevers or an actual rash with blisters.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And you know, the pedatricians do amazing job, because sometimes that the sign of a baby becoming significantly unwell as something as subtle as poor feeding.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, and gosh, it could be so many different things.
Speaker 1: And you can't ask them. So so this mostly comes down to history. This is us saying to the pedatricians, this person is at risk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and is it like CMV the episode that we did a few months or weeks ago where the act if it's your first time, it's.
Speaker 1: Worse, it's worse. Yeah, definitely. Yeah. Yeah, so you got a much higher viral load and much more likely to have virenemia the first time around. So that means that it's actually virus circulating your whole body in bloodstream. So the woman in a primary episode is much more likely to have sevige and allegions and be systemically unwell with fevers and dehydrated and sick, whereas recurrences are painful and irritating but typically confined to the area where the where the recurrence is located. Yeah, yep, so, and I think the viral load is much higher in a primary episode. So the pediatricians are much more concerned with someone with the first episode of herpees happening during at the end of the pregnancy than they are typically with a recurrence.
Speaker 2: And does that go for like the HSB one, the cold soil type.
Speaker 1: I guess so, although that you know, that's much easier to manage because you can cover the lesion on the on the face and you can avoid kissing the baby, and that I think those changes to baby, those interventions are typical, whether it's first or whether it's first or subsequent YEP infection.
Speaker 2: And also those type conversations that you have with people that kiss your baby.
Speaker 1: Yes, well this is one of the reasons why we don't why we shouldn't do that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just can't think of kissing somebody else's baby, Like, you know, I've got to that point that I just I find it boring, Like I don't want to do it as much as my whole body's going, oh my god, what a goodout baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just think COVID's done a fear of it to recalibrate our tolerance for connection with other people. Yeah, I honestly think that I think it's done a bit to calibrate it back the other way, you know, away from that super close contact with people. Whether it's not strictly.
Speaker 2: Necessary, Yeah no, it's just a boundary that my body just recoils from.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So paid, let's go on to when when the baby's do and someone has an active lesion. What are the discussions that they're having with a care team at that time about delivery.
Speaker 1: I want to take you back a little bit further than that, because the name of the game is to prevent the active leasion term. So if we go back, if someone's had multiple recurrences across their early life or multiple recurrences within that pregnancy, then I would be talking to that passion about being on suppressive therapy to dramatically reduce the chances of them getting that leasion at term. And you can take a drug called a cyclovia and antiviral drug that's that's very safe for use in pregnancy. It has no known risks in pregnancy, and you have to take the pills a lot. There's like wife doses a day or something, but it's very effective at reducing the activity. And that's that's our best defense against getting an episode at term. But if you get an episode at term nonetheless, then the baby's better to come by since aaron section.
Speaker 2: So is there any way of treating So that's taking it just to prophilectically, But is there anything if you've actually got an active lesion? Are there other medications that you can take?
Speaker 1: Well, you can take pain relief and you can take a cycle of it to shorten the hon us. But if we're talking at term, yeah, it needs to be totally resolved if you're going to be back on track for a vaginal.
Speaker 2: Birth, And totally resolved means that there is no lesion presence, isn't Yes.
Speaker 1: And even then I'd be getting expert advice if it was close to the delivery, because viral shedding from things can go on longer than your pew do to have recovered. Yeah, And the problem is that an infection in a newborn from some of these viruses that they're serious.
Speaker 2: Is it only through delivery that a baby can get purpies or can the baby get herpies in utero?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there isn't a utero form. It's not very common, but in particular for one's got a primary episode during pregnancy and is particularly unwell that there is a possibility of baby catching it well during the pregnancy, and like some of those other viruses that we can get during pregnancy, like rubeller and CMV, they can cause all sorts of problems with the developing baby. So there's a thing called a torch screen, which is a blood test done during a pregnancy if there appears to be a chance that a baby might have picked up something during the pregnancy. So it looks for antibodies for toxoplasmosis, Rubellas, c MV, and herpes. So we would do that test if we were investigating a baby that had died in euter or was way too small, or had ultrasound evidence for example, of abnormal organ development or calcification within in internal organs. The things that would show up on an ultrasound and the torch screen would be used to see if infection was behind that, and occasionally some of those would be would be in neutro herpes.
Speaker 2: If someone that you suspect their baby's been affected by herpes and in utero, would you send them to, say a maternal fetal medicine specialists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So go to our episode where we discussed maternal fiedal medicine services with Professor Joan's fantastic, that's one. That's so these are services that give expert advice on these rare things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so absolutely.
Speaker 1: If I if I saw one of my patients and baby looked too small and we did an ultrasound and that looked like they could have been in utro infection, what does this mean? You know? It is my baby going to be affected by this? Die? Is my boby going to be going to be physical or mentally affected by this infection? Where do I get this information? Rare thing like that? Be on the phone to Joanne, say, here's the situation I need. I need your expert at guidance and to be able to appropriately counsel my patient.
Speaker 2: What advice would you give to people that, perhaps in a couple, the partner has purpose, Yes, what can they be doing to prevent any sort of infection to their baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that it's different for the partner. Let's say we've got a couple with it. There's a male partner who's had some my current jentle herpes. The medications to be used by a non pregnant person to suppress outbreaks are easy to take this one stately dacing and so these are very very effective medications that you can just take one dose to day forever and have very few or no outbreaks. And that's definitely something that somebody should be considering if they've had more than about an outbreak a year, because they're painful and awkward. So some people are just on suppression they never get an attack in they fine. If they're not on suppression and they get an attack, then obviously I want to avoid intercourse until that episode has resolved, because if the partner's never been exposed, then they want to be exposed now. So that advice would be standard in or out of pregnancy to respect the safety of your partner and try and avoid the transmission.
Speaker 2: So, Patty, if the baby has unfortunately been diagnosed with having purpies at birth, what would the parents expect in terms of treatment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a serious situation and the pediatricians are going to be managing this very diligently, and there's a list of things that they would look at to work out how significant the risk to the baby really was. So they need to know whether the whether the mother was having a primary or a secondary episode. The primaries are obviously worse. Whether the mother had developed mature antibodies to the herpes virus herself, whether the baby was born snuck out vaginally, or born by a cesarean section, How long the membranes were ruptured in labor is highly relevant, and also the integrity of the skin. So if the baby came out with no damage at all to the skin on the head, that's batter because the skin provides a barrier to infection. Whereas if we've breached that membranes by that integrity, by the use of a fiddle scalpe electrode or a vacuum cup with tear on the skin, then that's worse. And whether the genital vision on the mother was type one or type two, all of those things irrelevant in the mind of the neo natologist as to how risky the situation is. And then obviously they work through protocols and treat the babies with antiviral drugs in a low risk situation for a matter of days and in a higher situation for months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so when you say they have to work out whether it's HSB one or two, if they've had an active lesion before the actual delivery. Would you be taking Would it be routine to take a swab to find it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We ideally we would know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to have as much information as possible for that woman as she goes in. Okay. Would it be useful if I made a little summary of what I've heard and can you tell me if I've got it right?
Speaker 1: Sounds good?
Speaker 2: Okay. So, firstly, if you've never had herpes, watch and it's your first infection, watch out for like systemic problems like body aches and fevers. Yep, to see if it's an active because the active one is more of an issue.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep. Good.
Speaker 2: If you have I've had recurrent recurrent herpes, then you might talk to your doctor about an anti viral during your pregnancy, yes, yep.
Speaker 1: To decrease the chances of you having a lesionate term.
Speaker 2: Yep. Good. If you've got an active general lesion, you might be advised to have while you will be advised to have a cesarean section. Absolutely good, And prevention is key in the first place. So I don't know how impregnancy you stop the stress and the diadness and the fatigue, but.
Speaker 1: In my experience, most of people affected by this problem I have had a primary episode when they were nineteen or something, and they've had a couple of occurrences since then. Yeah, and they know what they feel like. They're familiar with a little tingling and the pain, and they'll bring it to your attention. So take Our message is if you think you are getting a recurrence of a gentle herpe solusion in advanced pregnancy, bring that to the immediate attention of your caregivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't hide herpes. No, that might be the slogan don't hide herpes are super important also, and this is difficult if you've got a cold, saw, don't kiss the baby. Yeah, yeah, be careful when you're like breastfeeding, it's sort of easy just to brush your face up against your baby.
Speaker 1: It seems. With newborns, you know, they've just come out of sterile environment inside their mother, and they have an immune system that works okay for lots of things. They're immediately exposed to dirt and god knows what, and you know, they cope very well with all of those pathogens that they're exposed to in the early days of life. But there are a couple of problems. There are things that can be that a vaccine preventable, but they don't get the vaccines untill later on. I'm thinking hooping cough, for example. And then there are things that they're just really bad at fighting off GBS in which we've discussed in the past, and this family of viruses that can cause overwhelming infections and so on.
Speaker 2: The kissing of the baby. You know, sometimes you have to have those difficult conversations with your near and dear to say, please, don't kiss my baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that device we give family members to come visit the baby if you've got a cold one hundred percent. That also includes if you've got an rol abial herpi is lesion on your face.
Speaker 2: And if you like me, I can predict within a day if I've got a little bit of sunburn on my face, I will get a lesion on my lip.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It seemed to be particularly promoted by sunburn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's another way you can prevent it. All right, how did my summary go?
Speaker 1: That's pretty good?
Speaker 2: Ah? Good, okay, all right? Everyone. Well, I hope that gives you enough information about herpes. It's such a common virus. You know, two thirds of the population has HSV one. So I hope they give you enough information that you can be the full bottle when it comes to herpes in pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 2: That's it for this week.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Everybody, have a fabulous week. By for nour