Speaker 1: Hi, it's kateline Brook here. Before we get into today's episode, I wanted to quickly tell you why we're revisiting this conversation. If you've been following entertainment news over the past few weeks, you'll know Rosie O'Donnell is everywhere. She's back in the spotlight with her deeply personal new one woman show Common Knowledge, which has critics raving and also punters like me. She's been opening up in a series of major interviews about grief, motherhood, her move to Ireland, her candid and transparent approach to discussing her recent cosmetic work, her decades long friendship with Madonna, and yes, the public feud with Donald Trump that's found its way back into the headlines. It's reminded me just how fascinating Rosy O'Donnell is. For decades. She's been one of those rare people who's constantly evolving, constantly surprising us. She's never afraid to tell the truth about her life, even when it's missy or uncomfortable. So it felt like the perfect time to bring back this conversation, whether you're hearing it for the first time or listening again. With everything that's happening now. I think you'll hear ROSI a little differently. This is Rosy o'donald.
Speaker 2: I would have apologized. I would have said, I'm really sorry I heard you that much, and I hope you can forgive me. That's what I would have done. But I think in her mind she thinks I keep rehashing it for pleasure. I don't rehash it for pleasure. I rehash it because our careers have taken sort of parallel, interwoven paths. Yes, and where gay talk show hosts, and we're around the same age, so people would always ask me about it, and I have a hard time not telling the truth.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to No Filter. I'm Kateline Rook, and today, what a magnificent day. We're talking to Rosie o'donnald, a woman whose name is synonymous with laughter, honesty, and a fearless speaking of her mind. From a childhood marred by tragedy to breaking records on her groundbreaking talk show, to acting alongside legends like Madonna and Tom Hanks in films like Sleepless in Seattle a league of their own, and now and then, Rosie has lived a life in the public eye that few could imagine. Along the way she's been celebrated, she's been ridiculed and sometimes made the punchline of her own story. She's had some famously public feuds, and yes, we talk about her recent appearance in and Just like That, Who can Forget It? In this episode, Rosie opens up about her childhood marked by loss and trauma, the lessons she's carried through decades in showbiz, her experiences as a mother of five, and the moments that have shaped her into the activist, performer and person she is today. Here is Rosie O'Donnell. And by the way, she took me by surprise by showing up early. Who does that? Nobody's ever early?
Speaker 2: I'm always early, are you? Yes? Always?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, I've got to ask permission, miss Miss? Can I go to the dunny? Miss?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 1: The dunny is Australian slang and it's the toilet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, go to the danny by all means.
Speaker 1: The dunny, the dunny. You need to learn this before you arrive in Australia.
Speaker 2: Not that you're not kidding people. There's so many things I have to learn.
Speaker 1: What else do you think.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, first of all, I'm terrified of customs because they watch nothing to declare. Oh yeah, and you know whatever somebody has, like a plumb or a border security from Yeah, that show is terrifies me. And I'm also afraid of the spaders.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And I also like how everyone says yes.
Speaker 1: No, yes, no, that's really probably our defining national trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Where does it come from? Yes?
Speaker 1: No, it just kind of it just kind of developed, I think. I mean, I think it's one of those things that you know, I'm giving up on the dunny by the way, because I'm so happy to have you here.
Speaker 2: Well, if you gotta go, you gotta go.
Speaker 1: I I was just it was a you know, I was it was a preparatory we It wasn't just in key. Yeah, it wasn't an essential one. It was just like, well, you and I are about to embark on a road trip together of discovery, and I didn't want.
Speaker 2: To be I didn't want to have to start.
Speaker 1: No, that's right, and I don't want to be disrespectful to you.
Speaker 2: Well, I would understand being a woman as sixty three years old. If you gotta go, you gotta go.
Speaker 1: You know, And I think that's true at any age, to be honest. You know, remember as were when you're older, you know, as a kid, that thing where you'd stand with your legs twisted together because you just didn't want to go? What is that? Why do you hate going to the toilet when you're little?
Speaker 2: Well, do you want to know this? I never pee in public?
Speaker 1: Oh well I would hope not.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, like in a bathroom in public. I never like, if I'm on this, oh, like that I'm going to take that's twenty two hours, I probably will not pee the whole time.
Speaker 1: What do you do? Is it a psychological thing that you.
Speaker 2: Just I think it is. It's not like I'm telling myself not to It's almost like when I leave the house, my body goes yeah no, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know exactly. I think that. I was a little kid and my mom used to get very nervous in public bathrooms and she would put the little toilet paper like you know, and then put the little seat thing, that little paper, yeah, and try to make us like hover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hovering when you're a kid not easy at any age. I can't hop it now. I don't have the I don't have the thyme muscles. Not a hover, No, nor do I get that right now, I'm more of a collapse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I am too. I'll just collapse right on it. But now it's like I never My friends call me the camel because I just never will go to the bathroom in public.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you think that this is a psychological thing?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And what do you think it's It stems from.
Speaker 2: It stems from my mother making me afraid to go to the bathroom in public. She had five kids, we were all on one year apart, not even ten months, Irish twins, and she would just get very overwhelmed when we would go to the bathroom and she would put down all this toilet paper and everything. And so I got it in my head that it's a very trying thing to do. And like even the whole time I was at school, I never went to the bathroom. I would go in the morning. I would when I do a movie. If I don't have my own bathroom in my trailer, I will wait the whole day. And it's not like I feel like I have to go. It's not like I'm holding it in it's almost like my body goes, Nope, don't do it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting because you lost your mom young, when you thread the pieces of her together, because I think always as a child, you're always trying to work out the tapestry of yourself, and often that comes from your parents. Do you yes, when you have reminiscences like that of her, how much of a complete picture do you have? Do you think in her absence?
Speaker 2: Really not a very good one. I was ten and I have a child's image of her still, like I don't know her as a woman. I never got to see her age. I never got to see her go through menopause, have children's your children have become a grandparent. I never got to do that. So I have like a very idealized childlike view of my mother, and I've spent a lot of time trying to get to know her as an adult. She was an only child, and when she died we never mentioned her again, Like her name was never spoken. Nobody said the word mommy in the house. Nobody, you know. We came over to Ireland after she died. My father took five kids who were grieving to the north of Iren, not quite northern Ireland, but like Dunney Gall and we never mentioned her again. And when we came home from Ireland after the summer, all of her stuff was taken out of the house, so it was like she disappeared. Now at that time, who.
Speaker 1: Had done that? Rosie? Was that like Auntie Neighbors? Yes, and your father's behaestore, yes, exactly. He was not someone to share with you kids, your mom.
Speaker 2: No, there was no Oprah Winfrey show to learn about grieving, you know, there was no nobody talking about the trauma that that puts kids through. Right, it happened. And then we went to church one one, you know, a month after she died. And you know how in church they say and the parishioners who have gone to their rest, and then they would say the name, and they said, my mother's name is my name Roseanne O'Donnell. And my brothers started crying, and my father got up and took us out of the church. And we never went back to church. And my mother was the head of the parish council. She was very into Catholicism, so we were sort of robbed of every memory and smell and photo and instance of her. I only have like that's one photo right there of her, but I only have about three photos of her, you know, And it's taken me a long time. This show that I'm doing when I come to Australia has a lot to do with my mom. It starts and ends with her, the whole show, and it's sort of, you know, me coming to terms with being a motherless child and then becoming the mother. And how do you learn to do that? What guideposts do you follow? What what lanterns are lit in the caverns of your soul, you know, to get you through when you haven't had that or seen that.
Speaker 1: So you were very young, Yeah, you were eleven, nearly eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was right before my eleventh birthday. So she died on Saint Patrick's Day and four days later I turned eleven.
Speaker 1: How was that birthday horrible?
Speaker 2: Because the funeral was on my birthday and everyone who came to that afterwards had gifts for me. So here I was grieving my mother and being given presents and it just felt so wrong, you know. And my little brother Timmy is one day before me, so he and I. His birthday was on the wake and my birthday was on the funeral, and we were besieged with gifts that year, and both of us never really have loved our birthdays since.
Speaker 1: You know, It's funny because of course people want to show and would have wanted to show you their love and to show you how they were feeling. And it's interesting, isn't it that we tend to want to do that with things, But things given in the face of like such a devastating emotional catastrophe actually become.
Speaker 2: Tainted, totally empty. There was no you know. I remember my brother Timmy got the gunfire at the OK Corral, which was a toy that we had both really wanted where you had like a gun like and you had to shoot it was in plastic shoot like at a carnival, like knock down the picture of right. And I remember he got it and we both looked at it and looked at each other, and we never really played with it, even though that was the toy that we wanted, you know. So it was very difficult to to grow up in a place where you suffer a loss and then you're not allowed to discuss it with anyone. You weren't even allowed to say the word mom. So when I would get on the phone and somebody would call and say, it's your mother home. I'd say, no, she's out. I couldn't tell anyone until I was in college that my mother had died.
Speaker 1: And what was the atmosphere with your dad in the house where your mother is gone.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he comes from a traditional Irish Catholic family where emotions are not encouraged or displayed, you know, where drinking is the way you get through things, where talking and emoting were not his forte. So he was very kind of overwhelmed and didn't know what to do with these five small children that I remember when he told us that she died. My little brother Timmy said, who was only five, said who's going to take care of us now? And I said daddy, And he said, who's that? Who's that at five years old? Because my mother was the one who took care of us and my father was at work. You know, back in the early seventies, you know, men put on a suit and went to work and didn't like their life and came home and often had a couple of drinks and didn't interact with their kids very much, and all of a sudden, it was just him, and it.
Speaker 1: Was tough who stepped up into the role.
Speaker 2: Did anybody, Yes, the neighbors. So there was my mother's best friend across the street, Leone, and she became the mother and our family. Although for me, I went across the street diagonal to Jackie, who was my best friend since I'm three. Yes, when I was three, knocked on her door and I said to the mother, do you have anyone here who's three? And she said yes, and we've been best friends ever since. And that woman who's still alive, she's ninety years old. She took me in and got me my first bra and sanitary napkins and all the things that a kid needed who didn't have a mother, and she filled in. And then there were teachers at school who did that. You know, I was a kid who was longing for motherly connection. So all my friends' mothers, my friends would get mad at me. We were teenagers, and I would always like suck up to the mom's and they were having that normal reaction of pushing away from your parent when you're a teenager. But I never never lived through that, nor did I want to do it, nor was I prepared when my own children went through that.
Speaker 1: Yes, because you'd not experienced it.
Speaker 2: No, And because I couldn't imagine not wanting your other around, because that was the biggest need that I had in my life, was wanting a mother. There do you.
Speaker 1: Think you're because running parallel with your life so many so many professional achievements, but with you there's been a very strong current of family. Do you think that's where that desire came from to forge your own family?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent? And you know, my friends always were concerned and curious and questioning about whether they wanted to be a parent. But I knew it right from the beginning. I knew that I would have a lot of kids. When I figured out that I was gay, I knew that I would adopt a lot of kids. It was never a barrier to me wanting to get my goal, which is to have a family and make the family the center of my life. Now you know, I'm the next show that I'm doing is going to be called bad parenting because I parented my children with the idea that a ten or eleven year old would have about what made a perfect mom. It wasn't an adult understanding of parenting. It was a child's need. And so I'm going to do a show that that's basically about what I learned at sixty three, what I have accumulated, the knowledge of what I did wrong, you know, and why I made those sort of errors that you know, every person, every parent feels that. I believe. But when you were missing a mother and wanted nothing but to be the perfect mother, you're pretty harsh on yourself for the ways that you didn't succeed.
Speaker 1: When you say a parenting, like an eleven year old would say, an ideal parent is that like lots of snacks, being overly like, not disciple planning, how does that benefit?
Speaker 2: Yet not disciplining, not forcing them to follow through. So if they signed up for gymnastics and they didn't want to go, I would say, you don't have to go, and my partner would say, well, that's ridiculous, they have to go. I'm like, why do they have to go? Like, I didn't want them to feel pain, and I tried to avoid it at all costs, and I smoothed the road in front of them too much so that the tiniest bump in adulthood became a big trauma for them. They weren't used to being a survivor because I made it too easy, And with my older two it's much more pronounced because I was at the height of my fame and uh easy they you know. Yeah. And when you're when you're famous and you take four little kids, you know, stair step to the mall and they're all under six, everyone'st you and says, oh my god, those kids are so gorgeous. But when you're famous and they ignore the kids, everyone comes to you, and that does something because kids need to be sort of the center of the world when they're that age, and when you have a famous parent, you're definitely not and it affects them, I think in later life. And my older too much more than the younger two. And then I have the little one, you know, who's twelve. Yes that's ten yeah, ten years younger, yes, exactly ten years younger than my former youngest.
Speaker 1: But you know, the parenting mistakes which I think often we recognize in retrospect. I have four children and I'm kind of in the sick of it still. It's one of those things where you think it's going to abate.
Speaker 2: It just it seems it doesn't.
Speaker 1: It just goes on and on.
Speaker 2: Well, I never knew that children would need their parents past teenage teenager. So when my like thirty year old son calls me and needs me as much as he did when he was seven, I'm stunned because I didn't have that. So I just sort of took care of myself and we were all, you know, very resilient and very able to tackle obstacles because there were so many. But when my kids now maybe have a little bit of a failure to launch or you know, the older two, especially when they have challenges in their life, I think this is all on me, you know, not so much with the two ones who are just a little bit younger, but weren't in the height of my fame.
Speaker 1: So you're talking about Parker and Chelsea, the two eldest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, they're like thirty and twenty eight, and the two of them have struggled, I think more than the two younger ones. And it's almost like I was a different parent. I had left my show when Blake was a baby. I had viv after I was on TV, and it was a different reality for them than it was for the older kids.
Speaker 1: Well, every child has a different experience of being their parents' child.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's some Naterighaisy you know that comic. He's very very you know, and he does a great funny bit. I'm not going to paraphrase it, but something like apparently my younger brothers were raised by their best friends. And I thought that is so funny because I understand that. I get that, you know how you're you're raised with different parents and their different levels of growth and maturity. And you know, when my first kid was born, I was afraid, I was nervous, I was worried, I was anxious. And by the fourth kid, you're not you know, it's not you or an old hand at it. And I think you can definitely tell that they had different parents.
Speaker 1: Well, we say, in our family, our youngest learned to eat by picking up the crumbs the others dropped. Yes, very resilient and they kind of have to be because you're outnumbered. You were very outnumbered. Yes, When you were talking about your upbringing and your quest to find someone to feel that your mother shaped hole in your life because you also were gay, At what point did you realize did you always know and who was the person that you could go to to share that with, if anyone?
Speaker 2: Well, I think my mother knew, you know, because I would never wear a dress, I would, you know. And I had a sister who's one year younger than me, had the same exact upbringing, and she's straight as can be, and she had a mother die when she was nine, you know, and I was almost eleven, so not that different. But my older brother, one year older than me, is also gay, and I think my mother knew that both of us were gay and different. And when I wanted to play the drums and she was in the hospital fifth grade, I needed a permission slip, and she didn't want me to because she didn't think girls should play drums, and that a lot of things that I liked to do were boy things like play sports and ride a skateboard and learn to juggle and balance things on my hand, like I did what were traditionally at the time more boyish things. And I think it worried her. I think it concerned her. But then she was gone, and I kind of always knew, like I was never in in any way in finding out anything about the boys in my class, but the girls, I totally wanted to know all their secrets, all their stories. I wanted to meet their parents. I wanted to, you know, and without even really knowing that that meant that I was gay. My focus and my interest was always female, and I knew that from a very young age. And when I got to be of the age where you had to start kissing boys, I knew I didn't want to do that. I knew that if I was going to kiss anyone, even though at the time it seemed like unfathomable because there was no one gay on TV in nineteen seventy three. There was no one, and the women who were gay, like Martina Navtalova and Billy Jean King, had press conferences announcing that they weren't because those were the top yes And I remember it vividly, vividly that they said no, they were or not, and that they know that there were rumors about them, but they made a big point of saying they were not gay. And I remember being a gay kid thinking, oh my god, there's no one out there, there's no one out there who's like and it was very lonely and isolating. But when I got my license, I was sixteen years old. You get your drivers permit and you can drive on your own, like within twenty miles of your house, and I would drive in the car and say out loud, I am gay. I am gay, because that was the only place I could do it was in the car where nobody else in the car with me and I was alone. And that's how I sort of got myself used to the fact that this was who I was. And then I had a teacher in seventh grade who was twenty seven and I was thirteen, and she mothered me. She's the first person to say I love you to me. She was the first person to give me a hug. I opened a school and named it after her. I still have it in New York City, the Maravell Arts Center. And she took me into her family, and she was the first person I told and she was absolutely fine with it. She was like, you know, you can't wish that you had blue eyes. If you have brown eyes, you can't wish it away. Row just be who you are, you know. And at that time, in nineteen seventy five, that was very keeling and very freeing. And she too died of breast cancer like my mother did.
Speaker 1: How much longer after you knew her.
Speaker 2: She died when right before Vivi was born, So that was twenty two years ago. So I was a grown adult in a relationship with children. But she died and she had two children that are my godkids, and I'm still very involved in their life. And you know, at the funeral, I sat in the front row with the family, and she was totally a mother figure. Her and Jackie's mother, Bernice really raised me in a maternal, loving, consistent way.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, Rosie recalls her first forays into romance, when shyness and uncertainty about expressing herself made things complicated, and when you started to feel romantic. So being a child and knowing that you're into drumming is one thing, but you know, when you hit the point, as you said, you weren't interested in kissing boys, when you realize that your interest in girls was romantic, or when you felt that first really strong romantic urge for a woman. When was that?
Speaker 2: I think it was with Mary Rose when I was in eleventh or tenth or eleventh grade, and we were very good friends. And she's not gay, she's married and has children. But I was in love with her, no doubt about it. But I did not ever take it to any kind of next level, nor did I think that I ever would it wasn't until I was in college, my freshman year of college, that I first fell in love love with a girl who was also not gay. And it was unrequited, and but I was as in love as I've ever been with anyone. And I would, you know, I would see her everywhere in the in the college. I would like see some She was the first person I ever saw who had a hooded sweatshirt with no zipper, and I remember thinking that was the coolest thing in the world, you know. And she has since moved to Norway, and we had a chance to discuss this when we were older, and she sort of apologized because she wasn't really understanding what it meant to me. And even though we were so close and we used to sleep in the same bed, but never do anything because I was so afraid. It's so you know, really Catholic, kind of prudish, you know. I had no uh, I had no game, I had no moxie, and I still don't. And people I've been with are like, you know, there's not a lot of rosy O'Donnell in you, because they have an image that I'm like this tough New Yorker that will, you know, be very kind of aggressive, and I'm I'm the opposite. I'm like totally the bush, you know, I'm I'm not someone I always like want to cuddle, I want to like It's it's pretty funny that that the women that I've been with have all said, uh, you know, people would be shocked to find out how you actually are versus your image, you know, And I never tried to have an image that was different than I was. It just you know, from New York, tough boyish. You know, people just assume strike told very not exactly, and it's very not how I actually am.
Speaker 1: So if I think about it, now, your most recent foraight that we've all enjoyed you in and just like that, yes, that's not a million miles removed from you. Then for you to play no, it's none who pops up in New York City, very.
Speaker 2: Innocent fan of the Broadway, fan of Broadway. Broadway had never been sexual. And you know, and I'm friends with Cynthia and have been for many years, and it wasn't acting to be in love with her. I you know, I've been in love with her for a long time, not in any again romantic or sexual way, but just in love with who she is as a person and her politics and the way she loves her family and her wife and carries herself in the world. So Michael Patrick King, who created and writes that show, wrote it for me because he knows me. We knew each other since we did stand up together when we were in our twenties. So he wrote that part for me knowing that it wouldn't be a lot of acting on my part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which you'll very capable of, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love you know, literally, my goal was always to be an actress, never to be a stand up comic. It always was to act. And you know, I loved I loved getting to do all the roles that I have, and I kind of knew in my forties that it would take till I was in my sixties to start getting those kinds of roles, the Geraldine Page roles, the Colleen Dehurst roles, the you know, serious actress, dramatic actress. And I've been very lucky that I've had the opportunity to do that since I've been over sixty.
Speaker 1: You know, It's it's funny because when that was so audacious, that scene in in just like that, that meeting the whole like it was properly shocking. And one of the questions as a viewer at the time, not even aware that I was going to have this conversation with you, was did Rosie like, did you workshop that with the writers? Did you workshop that with the creators? It came fully intact. And how was it when you first saw the script and you went, I'm my first sexual encounter as this nun is going to be with Miranda, Like, how were you when you read the script?
Speaker 2: I was fine. You know, I had done Niptock and Julian McMahon who passed away recently. We had a sex scene in that movie and that show, and so I had done a sex scene before and I wasn't like nervous. But I will tell you this. Michael Patrick King said when he was directing it, you guys are in bed, can you be a little more like you're in bed? And I was like, I can't, really.
Speaker 1: It was too mighty or too no that I.
Speaker 2: Was too shy. I was too you know. I wasn't like if you're like you see people in a sex scene and people who have no issues kind of with being a sexual, aale alive person are able to be physical in a way that I'm not comfortable with, you know, And it takes a lot. It takes a lot. I haven't had many lovers. I've had, you know, much less than all of my friends. And it usually is a very long commitment. It's not a casual thing. I've never had a one night stand. I've never you know, just sort of been a free person in that way. I've always been very vulnerable and very tender, you know. I need it to be nice and not not scary.
Speaker 1: And almost like you need to know, a lot of people feel very strong physical attractions to people. I personally don't feel that. Though. I can recognize that someone is physically attractive, but I need to have some sort of communion with them.
Speaker 2: That's exactly. Yes, I can't even go there. Like people have said, oh, so and so is so hot that you work with, and I'm like, no, I may look at someone and think, wow, they're physically beautiful, they're physically handsome or pretty, but I'd never think of sexual being with them sexually. Like I always made a joke that if you want to have a relationship, a physical sexual relationship with me, you need like a big sign that says I am flirting with them because I won't get it. You know, I think everyone's my friend, and I don't like kind of function on that level. And I remember going to gay bars when I was young and never feeling that that urge of oh that person's hot. I want to let them kiss me. I have to. And there's a word for it. I forget what it is now demisexual where you have to have an emotional connection in order to be sexual. And that's sort of where it is me.
Speaker 1: And yet you've been right. They explained that that concept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because we were just going over this and trying to, you know, find my way to be more comfortable in my own sexual truth. And they said to me, this is what I think is happening for you, that you you needed to be emotionally there before you can go physically there. And that's that's true for me.
Speaker 1: And then, so what what does it mean? So as you recently have done so you've changed really everything about your life. You've moved to Ireland with Clay, You're now a dog owner, a dog love.
Speaker 2: I am, Yes.
Speaker 1: It seems to me that you've really pivoted into a new expression of yourself.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I've matured into it. And somebody that I know, so, you know, with menopause comes tremendous wisdom, and I think it's true. I have stopped sort of caring about what other people think, and I've just been able to sort of do myself in a way that I never was before, even though my survival mechanism was to be tough and to be you know, forward and challenging. And you know, I would say what I thought, and this was because I had siblings that needed to be taken care of. And I remember when my mother died, my little brother looked up at me and said, you have to be the mommy now. And I took that very seriously. He was five years old, and I thought, okay, I do you know. So I've kind of come into myself as I've aged in a way that is freeing, and it's provided me with a kind of clarity and ease that I never really had in my life.
Speaker 1: And how will that manifest? Do you think in terms of a romantic.
Speaker 2: Life, Well, you know, I have a long term relationship that is kind of complicated and and but it provides me with tremendous solace and stability. And it's not kind of traditional, it's not you know it. There's complications, you know, but I find that, you know, every relationship I've had has been really long, really long, and I don't do casual. I don't do I do like an intense devotion. And so getting a divorce the first time with Kelly, you know, was very very painful because I never wanted to do that to my kids. I never wanted to do that to myself, but mostly my kids. I think that I made the mother part of my life the most prominent part, and not the relationship and not the wife, so correct, and that's not a healthy way to.
Speaker 1: Do, no, and that's very common in all models of relationships, in hatro relationships as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I you know, I remember like for my kids, I would think think of them first, and for my Wayfey did not, and it was painful for her, I believe, And you know, I had a tendency to dissociate and to focus all my energy on the kids and on my role as a mother, and that was my priority and it was known and that had to be very very painful.
Speaker 1: You know. I was watching the crews that you did that you organized, yes for gay families and their kids, an amazing piece of activism, which at the time didn't wasn't really presented like activism, which is why I think it was probably so powerful. So you charted a cruise ship, you opened it up to gay couples, their families, their kids, people, straight people came along with their gay kids or whatever. It was a really remarkable up liliae Docco. But in it you are and so you're with Kelly at the time, and you've I think you've got the four kids. Then yes, Kelly says this amazing thing. Actually, you quote her and you say, Kelly always sees in a relationship, someone is the flower and someone is and you were like, I'm the flower and she's the gardener.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that becomes very tired to both people in that role. In order to really have beautiful, nurturing, caring relationship, you have to take turns at being the gardener and the flower. Yes, And that's what I've learned. But I had no ability to do that. I just thought, well, I wasn't good at taking care of people because I had never been taken care of. I wasn't good at taking care of anyone except for my children, because my desire as a child to be taken care of was so huge and overwhelming that it dominated everything. You know, I don't want to say that, you know, necessarily Kelly was jealous of the relationship with my kids that I had, but I think she wanted some of that for herself and I was unable to do that.
Speaker 1: And at the time, of course, you had a very high profile, very famous, and even though you're not a person who's led to the fame, you're led to the work. It's impossible, I think, to not be affected by how the outside world treats you differently when you have that level of fame and in fact that totally yeah, and the time paucity that you have, So there's an inherent inequality in a relationship.
Speaker 2: Totally, and financially there was a huge inequality, and attention wise, there's huge inequality, not just with my partner but also with my children. Again, I talk about going to the mall and having everyone focus on me and no focus on the kid. You know that, you know, Kelly would everyone in show business knew that I was gay because I always sat next to her at the Emmy's you know, I never had a boy with me and was never pretending everyone knew, but she was sort of pushed aside. You know. My publicist was Lois Smith, legendary publicist of Marilyn Monroe, you know. And she was an older woman and ran and owned PMK. This very powerful. So when I started my show, I met Kelly. I had two children. Kelly, yes, my talk show, and Lois, my publicist, was like, when we would go out in public, she would get in between us. She would you know, yeah, she would like run interfere in a way. And I remember one time when I was doing Greece on Broadway before I had children, this reporter asked me if I was seeing anyone and I said no, and he said and I wasn't And he said, well, what are the qualifications. I said, all applicants are welcome. And he said would that be a woman or a man? And I said, yes, could be either one. Well, Lois called Helen Gurley Brown. It was in Cosmo magazine. The writer was Patrick Pachenko. I remember it vividly, a gay man, and she had it taken out, not at my request, at her own request, had it taken out of the interview. And I remember Patrick being sort of offended and felt like that I had done it, but I had not done it. There were forces that be at that time that just didn't want it known. It was before Ellen was out, It was before everybody was closeted. Except Katie Lang and Elton John. That was it. Everyone else was not out, and so the concept of being an entertainer who was gay and still working was foreign to me. When Will and Grace came out, they told me, oh, there's a new show coming. It's a gay man living with Lucille Ball like woman friend, and I thought, well, that'll last a week like I You know, I remembered Love Sidney. Do you remember that show with Tommy Randall. No, this was like in the early seventies. It was a show where he was playing a gay man, although they never said he was a gay man. He had a big photo of his dead partner over the fireplace, and sometimes the end he would go over and look at it. Now, nothing was said, but it was definitely implied, and the Catholic Church went crazy and everybody was protesting it and it got pulled off the air. So I never thought it would be possible in my lifetime to be an out gay person and have a career in show business.
Speaker 1: After the Break, Rosie shares the story behind one of the most painful public moments of her career, when Ellen DeGeneres told everyone that they weren't friends. And so then when you mentioned Ellen before when she came out in her sitcom, how was that? I mean, that was a sensation for viewers around the world. How did that feel for you?
Speaker 2: Very threatening? Very threatening, because you know, everyone then wanted to know, well, what are you getting now? She came on my show, and I felt strongly that I didn't want to leave her out there alone, that I could not gay person act as though I was not the same as her. So we talked before in the dressing room and she said she was going to say that her character was going to become Lebanese. And then I said, okay, well I'm going to talk about that with you. Let me in, and she said okay. So I said, oh my god, I like Casey Kasem, maybe I'm Lebanese, right, And everyone who was gay at home got it, everybody, you know, because I wouldn't leave her out there alone. I couldn't do it. And so we had this, you know, really sort of decoded, coded interaction that anyone who was gay new. But you know, the public didn't really pick up on it. The news media didn't really, you know, and nobody would ask back then. But I remember it felt very threatening. I was on this very famous, this very successful show. I was winning all the Emmy Awards, and it just felt like, oh, this could really threaten me. But still my internal clock wouldn't allow me to distance myself from her. I had to stand by her and hold her hand, and that's what I chose to do. And then, you know, it was funny because she never really I didn't think, appreciated that moment. And she was on Larry King and he asked her, when I left my show on my own volition after being offered a lot of money to stay because my mother died at forty and I was turning forty, and I had all these children and I wanted to be around for them and go to their softball games and their school plays. Larry King asked her, and Kelly and I were in bed watching it, and he asked her, whatever happened to Rosie o'donald her show went down the tubes, and Ellen said, I don't know Rosie, we're not friends. And that was like one of the most painful things that ever happened to me in show business in my life. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: Why did she say that.
Speaker 2: I don't know? Because I have photos of her holding my newborn babies. I knew her for thirty years, Like, I don't know, Rosie, we're not friends. It was so upsetting to me that I had t shirts made I don't know, Rosie, we're not friends, and I gave them out to my stack because it was very painful, and you know, we've never sort of gotten over it it.
Speaker 1: Did she Did she ever reach out to you to explain it or what her thinking was?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not the first person to say this, but she's a strange creature.
Speaker 2: Well, you know she's We're not similar. I can say that for sure. We're not emotionally. No. And I was never asked to go on her show. When I was, it was long after they had been on for many years, and she had the same staff as my show, the same producers, the same everything. And now I don't blame her for doing that. I didn't create the genre of a merv Griffin Mike Douglas Walk Show. You know, this was what I grew up watching. But I did think that she was all of a sudden in the position I was in, where she was starting a show and wanted it to be successful and get the money and the accolades that came with it. And instead of deciding to stand next to me and hold my hand, which is what I did to her, she did the opposite. And I couldn't believe it. You know, I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you say she had the same producers and the same staff, because your relationship with those producers and that staff was very different than what led to the demise of her own show, which was that the relationship with those the workers, the people that made the show was deeply unsatisfying to them. They felt excluded and they felt diminished.
Speaker 2: Yes, we had a family, for sure. I'm still friends with many of the people who were on my staff thirty years ago. I you know, I'm very proud of them who all went on and did daytime TV for the next twenty years. And we're still close. You know, every anniversary we all get together and have a party, and you know, I don't know it my desire to create family is the biggest force in my life. And I do it everywhere I go, and you know, I do it with my staff here in my life and in my house. You know, I create. And uh, I don't think that that she's similar to me in that way.
Speaker 1: Did you know when when they were that they were having troubles the people that you were still in contact with.
Speaker 2: Well, I knew the way she treated me must be the way she treats others. And I felt, you know, very betrayed. And so I didn't imagine that they had a similar kind of relationship that I had with that she had that with her staff. And you hear things, you know, you hear things from from different people. But you know, I'm I'm now sixty three and she's you know, a few years older than me. I don't wish her any ill will, but you know, I never could kind of get past it. And and a lot of times, you know, she has said or written me and said, why are you still talking about this, oh, you know all these years?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 2: And I didn't quite know how to answer that. I said, well, well, it was profound for me, It was a profound moment.
Speaker 1: And so she'll address it to that point, but not to the point of resolution or explanation or assuming more apology right now, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I would have apologized. I would have said, I'm really sorry I heard you that much, and I don't know why I did that, and it was a mistake, and I hope you can forgive me. That's what I would have done. But I think in her mind she thinks I keep rehashing it for pleasure. I don't rehash it for pleasure. I you know, I rehash it because our careers have taken sort of parallel into woven paths. Yes, and I'm often you know where gay talk show hosts, uh, And we're around the same age, so people would always ask me about it, and I have a hard time not telling the truth.
Speaker 1: There's one exception. She was never in Sleepless in Seattle.
Speaker 2: That's true. Such for the league of their own Yah. Yeah, yeah, I'm very lucky. I had amazing movie roles. And you know, again, it's because of you know, my need to emotionally connect. Like Penny Marshall and and Nora Ephron. They became family in my life and they're both gone. But you know, Nora got me a department in her building, the Apthorpe, and I lived there and her husband, Nick's office was on my floor, and I would go to the Hamptons with them, and Penny and I stayed close her whole life. And you know, even though she struggled in a lot of ways, you know, we we maintained our friendship. I'm still close to Madonna thirty years later. You know, I don't I don't let people go, you know. And and so I think that a lot of my success is the way that I love. And on my TV show, you could see that I loved Barbara streisand that I loved the guests that I had on whether it was Florence Henderson from The Brady Bunch or somebody like Tom Cruise, I loved them equally because they matter to me in my life and world. And I think my success is largely based on my capacity to love. And it made people feel warm and feel connected.
Speaker 1: What does it mean mean for those relationships? You're very good at relationships, and they're very alive, and so many people speak with such love and fondness in regard for you. But what does it mean for those relationships now that you have moved to the other side of the world.
Speaker 2: Very hard, Yeah, very hard. But I knew why I did. It was not a political statement as much as it was self preservation. I knew that the last time he was in office was very difficult for me. I was eating too much, I was drinking Trump I was drinking too much. You know. I talked about him in two thousand and seven and he hasn't stopped using me as a punchline ever since. And many, many, many male comedians did what I did and worse, but he didn't go after them in the way that he went after me, because he's misogynistic and sexist and cruel. He's innately a cruel human being. And I think that our tumult caused a tremendous amount of seris in my life. You know, it created a lot of problems. I would be with my little child who has autism and CVS, which is like a drugstore in America, and guy with a MAGA hat would come over and go, hey, screw you. Trump won, and I have a five year old with automn Why is that man cursing at us? You know, his his ability to denigrate people and dismiss them and humiliate them, encouraged other people to do the same, and it was difficult when he was in office the first time, even though there were guardrails up. So I read Project twenty twenty five and knew that I had to go to save myself and to be a fully aware, alive, and healthy parent for this child who was special needs. You knows I never had a child who was special needs before Clay, and that's where my focus is and my commitment. So I wanted to take her to a place where decency still lived and where I wouldn't have to witness what he was going to do to the country, which he outlined in the Heritage Foundation's Project twenty twenty five. And I read and was to find out most Americans did not read it. So some Americans thought I was overreacting, and now they're liking saying, you know, you were very prescient. I'm like, I wasn't so prescient. I just did my reading and research, and I knew what he was capable of.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you were not one of those people who said, if Trump gets elected, I'm leaving the country, and there have been quite a few of those, but you didn't leave them to do No, most of them didn't do it. You didn't say you were going to do it, but you did it. And how is that? How long have you been in Ireland now?
Speaker 2: Since January fifteenth. I wanted to leave before the inauguration, and I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want it to be a big public thing. I wanted to go quietly and keep my child's life calm. And also I thought many people wouldn't believe it because I'm not a traveler, like going to Australia has been a dream of mine always. But I think I would have the guts to do it, so I didn't tell anyone. I mean, I told my older brother and my sisters, you know, I told my immediate family, but even them they were saying, I don't think you're going to do it. Ro I think you'll go and then you'll come right back. But I knew I had to do it. I was sure that I had to do it, and so I came to Ireland, where I had had two cousins who I knew from when I was a child, who were here or won my age, and one about twelve years older than me, And I came knowing two people and surprised myself truthfully that I did it and that it's been quite a success. And then you know, people say to me, why do you still talk about him and the country if you left. Well, I never gave up my citizenship, nor would I, although I'm getting my dual citizenship to become an Irish citizen as well, because my grandparents are from Ireland and I care about my country. I love my country. I am very patriotic, and I knew that I would not be able to deal with what was about to happen, and it certainly has. And I think the United States is in serious trouble at this point with him arming the National Guard and calling the national Guard not on January sixth, but now to cities where there are no unrest, there are no insurrections, where there is not mass violence.
Speaker 1: Do you think if you because that has been a huge price to pay for you having been outspoken, do you think and not that I'm you know, you don't strike me as someone who lives with your great but you do live with reflection. Do you do you wish that you had spoken differently in two thousand and seven or not spoken?
Speaker 2: No, because what I spoke about was not just making fun of him. There were he owned beauty pageants, And if you grew up in New York, like I, you knew who he was from the get go. In New York, he's not respected and he never was. And I grew up watching his planes be repossessed off the runways at LaGuardia, watching him try to sell steaks and vodka. He's a con man, and he's a grifter, and he's a logo slapper. He's not a builder, and he's all illusion and if you are a New Yorker, you knew this. So he had a woman, Tara O'Connor, who was I believe eighteen or nineteen Miss teen USA or whatever his title was, and she kissed a girl in the village and he made her have a press conference and apologized to the country, and it was on right before the view came on the live press con conference, and she was crying and thanking him for a second chance. And all it looked to me was like a prostitute and a pimp controlling the prostitute, saying, you're going to say this to save face for me, And I said that, and then I said some facts about him that he never paid his vendors, that he was charged with sexual abuse by twenty six women. I said, all the facts about him that were very easy to find. It was not like I had to do tremendous amount of research. All you had to do was have an Internet connection. And the American media, the Fourth Estate, has really left the public down by not telling the truth about him. They were complicit.
Speaker 1: I have never thought of it in the context of that before. And I know there are people who say, Rosie, well, you started it when you had a crack at Trump and you poked the bear. But when you say male comedians, you're right, had been doing that for decad with no bloose back. And also other women he has picked off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think that he is afraid of smart, informed, strong women, and you know, he thinks women are to be abused, to be grabbed by the pussy, as he said. I thought when that happened that that would be it for him. You know, I remember when Gary Hart had a girl sit on his lap, a grown woman, not a child, and that was the end of his tandidacy. And here he is saying what he says and being who he is, And I think that strong women scare him and infuriate him, and I'm one of them.
Speaker 1: And yet yet he was married to two strong women.
Speaker 2: I don't know how strong they were. Oh really, I was at his wedding.
Speaker 1: I had heard that you were someone's plus one and you went to Donald Trump's wedding.
Speaker 2: I was friendly with Marlon Maples because her leading man in will Rogers Folly's was my leading man in Greece, and so he was invited to the wedding and we were doing Greece on Broadway, and he invited me, and so we didn't stay very long, and we went into the plaza or wherever it was that I don't even remember, and as he walked down the aisle, he shook people's hands who were famous in the audience. But he had stood her up a few times, so people weren't necessarily sure that he was going to marry her. And you know, so I was there and when he started going at me like that was a very big moment where I said, well, tell him, I have some photos of me at his wedding. You know, I've never had a conversation with him in my life. No, he wanted to be on my show. I would never have him on my show. And then we did a fundraiser for money where during sweeps, if you would come out and sweep the floor.
Speaker 1: Sweeps is your isn't it. Sweeps is when you do the writings. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So once he came out and swept the floor and I didn't talk to him. I just went like that and that was that. But you know, I knew that he and I were oil and water from the get go. And any woman that he is threatened by Taylor Swift, he attacks Taylor Swift, Meryl Street, he said was an overrated actress, AOC, you know, AOC. He thinks he is a low IQ person. You know, I think that everything he says indicts him, and strong women are his kryptonite. He falls apart.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the rest of your life is in Ireland or do you not think that? Futuristically and the country's been very beautiful and reason to meet you.
Speaker 2: Oh, unbelievably. I'm much more at peace here. I don't worry about violence, I don't worry about confrontation. I don't worry about my child walking to get an ice cream with her friends. You know, I met the lollipop lady, which is the crossing guard here in school. And she said to me, what's your name and I said Rosie, and your surname and I said o'donald. She said, oh, just like the famous actress was like that me, you know. And so she said to me, why do you walk your kid to school every day? Nobody else with the kid who's twelve, walks them to school every day. They walk with them with their friends. And I said, well, I'm from New York. Kids disappear on their way to school. There's a constant fear that you sort of live with in the city and in the cities sometimes. And she said, well, you're not in New York anymore, Rosie o'donnald. You're in Dublin, Ireland, and you're safe. And it made a huge difference in my life and my ability to calm down, my ability to enjoy the moments. And there is no celebrity worship in Ireland, and I think that's beautiful. Everyone treats you as a person. They say to you, well, welcome to Ireland. They don't say can I have an autograph? Can I have a picture? They say you're welcome here.
Speaker 1: If the move was instigated twofold. I gather for Clay, for Clay's wellbeing, and of course by extension your wellbeing. Have you noticed a difference in your mental health?
Speaker 2: Completely? Completely. I am not as worried as I was now ever since I was little. World tragedies affect me in a way that they don't most people. And my therapist has said to me, most people have windows in their house. They have a screen, they have a glass pane, they have a shade, they have curtains, and they sometimes have show. But all your windows are open, so it comes right into you and you're devastated by it. So as a kid, when I watched the Vietnam War on TV, my father would tell me I wasn't allowed to watch TV anymore because I would cry about the fall of Saigon and all of the pain that we had to witness over dinner every night. And every time there's a world crisis, I don't do very well. And now there's a very big world crisis, whether it's Gaza or the United States falling into fascism, and I'm able to stay above the water. I don't go sinking underneath. And I think a lot of that is because I'm not in the United States. And I have a son who's just newly married and wants to have a family, and I know when he has a child, I will want to be there and be an act of grandmother to that baby. And that's going to be a challenge for me. Is it safe for me to go back? Will I be all right and my child be all right if I go back, even for the summer to visit you know, how.
Speaker 1: Is it when you've gone back? Have you been back?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: You haven't, not even to Broadway.
Speaker 2: No. I gone to the West End. I saw Avida. It was fantastic. I saw a lot of shows on the West End. But no. And in fact, my daughter graduated college and I didn't go back because the security people said to me they didn't think it was wise, because I think Trump will use me to rile his base, to get them, you know, and I'm his nemesis in his mind, and you know, and to them to a lot of like a third of the country. And that's a very difficult place to be very difficult.
Speaker 1: But a place that will not be difficult for you to bay will be Australia.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've heard that. It's very much like Ireland. I've heard that the people are loving and kind like Ireland, that there's a warmth and and a pride in the nation like Ireland. And you know, America is so big. It's too big. It's too many people. And it's almost like four different countries. Yes, the East, the West, the South, you know, the north. It's very different. And I'm so excited to come and I have dreamed of it my whole life. The two places I wanted to go was Hawaii, which I did make it too, and Australia. And so when I got offered to do the Sydney Opera House, I really couldn't believe it. For a couple of days, I was like, are you icic? You know, and iconic beyond words? And you know, in twenty thirteen I was booked to come here, but I couldn't go because I didn't sell enough tickets so it had to be canceled. Oh yeah, So when they told when they asked me to do this, I said, just so you know, in twenty thirteen, I couldn't sell tickets. And you know, I think Donald Trump has made me think he really has. My brother said, if he only knew that he reignited your career. You know, he would be miserable.
Speaker 1: That and a sexual lassignation with Miranda in it and just exact yeah, just Colin, Colin Bay right right.
Speaker 2: So you know, I mean, I'm thrilled that their ticket sales are going well, and there's talk that we may do other cities if we sell out in Sydney, and that would be thrilling for me. I'm going to be there for three weeks, and uh, you know, I'm I'm over the moon about the whole thing. And and my kid does not want to come. They have a hard time on planes for that long and long my cousins, Yeah, my cousins are going to stay here with her and take care of her and get school, and so I'm happy about that. But it's the longest I've ever been away from her, So that will be interesting to see how I do, not how they do. I think they'll be fine, but it's me that I worry about more.
Speaker 1: You know. You know, you've had such a vigorous social life and social presence for so long, and you've navigated public love and public feuds and public scrutiny. How do you want people to remember or think of Rosie O'Donnell, like not the headlines, but you yourself.
Speaker 2: You know. The first thing I think of is that, you know, she cared too much, you know, mostly about children and women, and those are the people that I always wanted to protect and take care of. And so if I'm remembered for that, you know that that will be a life well lived to me. I don't really, you know, think that any awards that I've received, like, I don't even have them, you know, I have a lot of Emmy awards, and people are like, where are they? They're in storage somewhere. Because I never wanted to have this house that was full of my accolades. I wanted it to be a house for children, like you know, this is my house, right, It's little pigs and little stuffed animals, and it's bright, it's colorful, like so I wanted it to be a family house. And so I think if my legacy could be that she was all about you know, family and women and kids, that that would be fine with me. But I know I'm an incendiary soul in America that there are people who you know, use FA as people to tell their own story and who you like and who you love and who you loathe really define who you are, not who they are.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because your audience will have some of those will have been the people that voted for Trump, who once were Democrat voters. I think there's a tendency around the world now for people to get voted out as much as people get voted in.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I never worry about that.
Speaker 1: No, But you are of appeal to those people. There is a universality about you, as there has to be in performers that transcends.
Speaker 2: That, you know, and I'm very, very high on the concept of uniting the country. That these people who voted for him, you know, they were lied to by the media. They were lied to by The Apprentice, which was a fictional show, reality show, and they sold him for ten years as a successful business man and it was all a lie. And they were lied to for a long time by very powerful systems. And when they say I regret it, and I now see, we have to say, welcome back, come on in, you know, my sister, my brother, come on back. We understand and it's not your fault and we can do this together and save our nation. And that's what I hope that you know a lot of times people will write on TikTok or something that I voted for him and I regret it, and people will say, well, too bad, I hope everything bad happens. I'm like, that's not what I feel. I feel like everyone who says that is entitled to have the same respect and decency that we afford each other.
Speaker 1: Do you believe in God?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do. It's you know, a kidding, I really do. Yeah. And I found that as I've gotten older, it's it's grown My connection to God and to a spiritual truth. It's grown as I've gotten older, and and it provides me with tremendous amount of solace. I don't believe it's a man in a in a chair up in heaven. I believe that that's the universe. The creation of the universe and the creation of all of all things is God. And and I find it in musicals. I find it in a baby's laugh. I find it in you know, an old woman at tesco who is checking out the fruit. And I think that would be my mom if she had lived, you know. And I find that God in all these places in my life. And it's been tremendously healing.
Speaker 1: That little motherless girl has made quite a life for herself and quite a family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to believe sometimes, but I'm proud of it.
Speaker 1: You should be, and your mum would be. I think so too, Rosie O'Donnell. Yes, thank you for joining us on No Filter.
Speaker 2: I just want to tell you this is one of the best interviews I've ever had. It was you were really new your stuff, and you didn't ask questions that people typically ask me, and I'm very happy that I did it.
Speaker 1: Well. You are just so fascinating and you've been such a gift to the culture and continue to be, and you share of yourself so generously that it would be remiss of me to not extend the same to you.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: So it's an honor to have you on No Filter and to have you with our listeners, and it's very interesting to watch you now become the gardener as well as the flower exactly.
Speaker 2: I hope I get to meet you when I'm there. I hope so too, And thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: May the what is it the road rise to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. The Irish blessing totally true.
Speaker 2: I thank you for that, and I hope that's the same for you.
Speaker 1: Thanks o'donald. You're a beauty, a true beauty. I tell you what. When they talk about breaking the mold when they made certain people, they certainly break the mold when they made Rosie O'Donnell. This has been a conversation that only miss o'donald could give us. It's insightful and bold and entirely unforgettable and so honest. And she allows herself such rawness and to go to places where most people would kind of close up like a clamshell. Few people have lived as loudly, as honestly, or as unapologetically as Rosie O'Donnell. And from her fearless beginnings as a funny popular kid carrying private pain, to breaking barriers on television and in film, to navigating public feuds and life under intense scrutiny, Rosie has done it all on her own terms. But she also is capable, which some people are not, of self reflection. She shares the stories that made her laugh, the moments that broke her heart, the lessons that have guided her as a mother, an activist, and a woman unafraid to speak her mind. I can't wait to catch up face to face when she's here.