Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mumma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging, and feel privileged to continue the sharing of birth stories and knowledge that has been a fundamental part of Indigenous culture. This episode of Diary of a Birth contains graphic descriptions, including blood loss and traumatic injury. Please proceed with caution. Additional resources can be found in the show notes. Hi, I'm Cassenya Lukitch and this is Diary of a Birth.
Speaker 2: Here in Australia.
Speaker 1: We're fortunate enough to have access to excellent healthcare, but pregnancy and birth can still be incredibly dangerous and complications can and do happen. Today's episode is not here to scare you, but to arm you with information, to tell a story of a mum who faced an incredibly rare complication known as a placental abruption.
Speaker 3: So I was laying in bed and I felt a pot in my uterus. I could hear and feel it as I pulled my underwear down. The blood ran down my legs and spilled out over onto the floor.
Speaker 2: As I'm not a doctor.
Speaker 1: I'll leave the medical explanations to doctor Brolin Devine later on in the episode. But it can be fatal to both mother and baby. Today's mom exhibited incredible bravery and with luck, good timing, and a fast acting medical team, both her and her Bob are healthy and thriving.
Speaker 2: So let's meet today's mom.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Sabrina and this is a diary of my birth with Sienna.
Speaker 1: Sabrina, your story came through and you wrote this beautiful, beautiful email and it really sort of struck a chord because it was a really traumatic and challenging birth for you. Yes, you already had one baby, Kingston. That's right, so this was your second birth. So I feel like sometimes we get to our second birth and we go, yep, I know what I'm doing. But how did you feel when you fell pregnant with Siena.
Speaker 4: I was really excited.
Speaker 3: It was a lot shorter process than the first time round because I feel like I had a bit more understanding of my body and how to go about falling pregnant, and so I thought, I know what I'm doing with the pregnancy. I know what to expect and from what you hear from everybody. Labor ideally is same, same bit shorter.
Speaker 4: That was the hope.
Speaker 1: Anyway, How old was Kingston when you fell pregnant with Sienna?
Speaker 3: I think it was about two years old, give or take either side a little bit.
Speaker 1: Emmanuel, who is your partner? You're excited, You've got your first trimester, everything's going well. How are you feeling during this time?
Speaker 4: I was feeling really great.
Speaker 3: Obviously noticing a big difference between my first and my second pregnancy. I had a toddler to keep up with. I was a lot more tired. So with my first pregnancy I was extremely active, and my second pregnancy I was really struggling to fit in conventional exercise, but I probably was running around a lot, so that was probably the biggest difference. But otherwise, very lucky to have very regular, unexciting pregnancies.
Speaker 1: So with your first baby, you went into spontaneous labor. As I understand it, you were seven hours, you had gas. It was pretty straightforward. So in your head you're.
Speaker 3: Imagining that same sort of situation again exactly. My fear was when do I leave home to get to the hospital, Knowing that the active part of labor would likely be shorter, and because I had, you know, a relatively short labor the first time for a first time mum, I didn't push for very long.
Speaker 4: My question was more, you.
Speaker 3: Know, how can I have that at home birth experience but still make it to the hospital in time for the grand finale?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What kind of system were you in? Were you in the public system? Private system? How was your birth supported?
Speaker 4: So I was in the public system.
Speaker 3: I was seeing obstetricians a whole way through though, because I have problems with my thyroids, so they were keeping an eye on that the whole way. That, however, didn't put me into any sort of high risk territory. It was just more keeping a second set of eyes on my pregnancy.
Speaker 1: So you get through your second trimester, the trimester, can you talk us through a little bit about the last few weeks before you going into labor? How are you feeling?
Speaker 4: I feel like big question.
Speaker 3: I was not feeling amazing. I felt like my body was getting bigger rapidly this time around, and due to my muscles being a little bit.
Speaker 4: More lax, I worked a lot.
Speaker 3: Later in my second pregnancy, so I worked all the way up until thirty eight weeks, thinking that I would try to extend my maternity leave a little bit longer and work from home a bit more, And I was honestly feeling quite stressed with the idea of finishing up work, handing over things that were happening. I was on a contract at work that was finishing up in the next two months, and I didn't have a clear outcome of whether my job would be extended at that point. So I think in my pregnancy I felt really good, but just life and its entirety was a lot at that point, so I hadn't put a lot of focus onto.
Speaker 4: Birthing like I had in my first pregnancy.
Speaker 1: In terms of your support system with you know, your husband, emmanual, family, how was that around you?
Speaker 4: Fantastic.
Speaker 3: I'm really lucky to have my husband, and then I have a sister who who also has children the same age as me, and my mother is also very involved in my family life. So I've got a great little network around me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's get up to the day of a guess, going into labor. If that's what can you call it? What was your day like in the morning?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: So I had had those period like cramps the night before and that night, and I'd woken up and it was still the same, so that lower kind of backache that you have just before you get your period, and I thought, oh, I remember this feeling. I remember that sensation. Is something coming. And I said to my husband, it's fine, go to work. We don't live far away from the hospital. He doesn't work far away from me. And I was quite confident in the way that I had birthed previously, that if I was to go into labor, that he would have time to come home, and that I was comfortable resting and being active and just being around the house in those early hours. So I was very comfortable in saying, a man, head off to work, and I'll give you a call if I need you. But I feel confident that if I'm going to go into labor, it will probably be tonight, you know, when I'm comfortable and I'm sleepy, I'll wake up.
Speaker 1: And things will progress. And where was Kingston at this point.
Speaker 4: He was in childcare, which was fantastic.
Speaker 3: So that was actually my first day of maternity leave too, so I just thought, I'll go for a walk. I vividly remember cooking spinach and ricotta rolls and thinking I can put some in the fridge, I can pop some in the freezer. We've got some you know, storage there. And then I thought to myself, well, who knows how long the night could potentially be and if there will be any sleep, So I will try my best to lay in bed and watch a movie at the minimum.
Speaker 1: Which is very well deserved. We don't need to explain that firstday of maternity leave husbands at work above number one, Kixton is at daycare. You've got some time to kind of recuperate. So you're trying to recuperate, prepare yourself for what's to come. So you're having a rest in bed and tell us what happens next.
Speaker 3: So I was laying in bed and I felt a pop in my uterus and I cannot tell you to this day whether it was an audible pop, but to me, it felt very audible.
Speaker 4: I could hear and feel it, and.
Speaker 3: I thought, oh, that's that was really funny. It was almost like when you click a muscle or something. Something's quite obviously happened. And I had enough time to pull out my phone and google pregnant uterus pop. And whilst I was googling, I felt a gush between my thighs, and with my first pregnancy, my waters did not break spontaneously.
Speaker 4: That was done in the hospital all and so I.
Speaker 3: Thought, oh, this must be my waters, this must be what it feels like.
Speaker 4: And I was very well prepared.
Speaker 3: I had dark charcoal sheets on the bed in case, you know, anything was to happen over the next couple of days, and avoiding stains.
Speaker 4: So I had to flip my legs.
Speaker 3: Over to the side of the bed and I pulled down my underwear to how to look at the waters and see if there was anything in them.
Speaker 4: And as I pulled my.
Speaker 3: Underwear down, blood ran down my legs and spilled out over onto the floor.
Speaker 1: You get up and you see all of this blood, which I imagine would be quite terrifying for you.
Speaker 2: What was your first thought.
Speaker 3: That it's not normal. It was bright red, so it wasn't old blood. It was fresh, and it was continuous. So the first thing I did was I picked up my phone and I called the ambulance straight away. I was in the exact same spot that I had when I flicked my legs over the bed. I hadn't stood up. I just grabbed my phone and straight away called Triple.
Speaker 5: Zero emergency services. Tell me exactly what happened. I'm thirty eight and a half weeks pregnant.
Speaker 3: I started popping in my uterrifs and I did add a huge gush of blood and it's not stopping.
Speaker 5: All right, let's get you that help right away. Do you have anybody there with you at the moment? No, I'm home alone. Okay. Now can you see I feel all touch any part of the baby now, No, my vagina feels closed still. Okay? Are you having contractions? I have had very dull period, pain.
Speaker 4: White, contraction last nam last night.
Speaker 5: More black and yeah, okay there's more blood. Yeah, understood. I'm keeping them updated. Okay, now you just try and rest. Okay, So do not sit on the toilet and Justine faces is the baby coming? Do not try to prevent the burse all right. I assume the most comfortable position here and take deep breaths between contractions. And it's going to put a exposable underwear on. Good idea. But there's a blood still coming out there. Yeah, okay, how are you feeling now? Any changes?
Speaker 3: No, no change here, it's more I'm you're just trying to manage how I feel okay, there's no pain.
Speaker 4: There's took lots of blood.
Speaker 5: Feel lots of blood. All right, don't over exert yourself, right, how are you doing that? Yeah, I'm okay, I'm dushing. I'm dushing blood. It's still grushing, okay.
Speaker 1: One of the first things that really struck me was how calm you were. Do you think that was kind of part of your sort of response in terms of just not a trauma response, but you were in fight mode.
Speaker 3: Yes, and everything in that moment. I think it took six or seven minutes perhaps for the ambulance to arrive, and a lot was done in those six or seven minutes.
Speaker 4: So I culturable zero.
Speaker 3: I popped them on clouds and straightaway new group message to my mum, to my husband, to my sister, and it was husband, you need to get to the hospital and meet me an emergency a SAP drop what you're doing, I'm bleeding, And then it was to my sister and my mum, letting them know what had happened, and also letting my mum know that she's going.
Speaker 4: To have to be a childcare pickup today, but.
Speaker 3: Before she does the childcare pickup, she'll probably have to come to my house and clean my bed and all the floors.
Speaker 4: I also, in that time, managed to find an old.
Speaker 3: T shirt to chuck on, thinking that I'm going to have to walk out of the house.
Speaker 4: I can't do that in my underwear.
Speaker 3: I found a towel so that I could hobble around the house to get what I needed without dripping all over the house. And I kind of wiggled my way standing on the tower to the bathroom and found one of my disposable adult nappies that I had ready for my postpartum experience, and I popped those on. And once I had my bags at the front door, it was unlocking the front doors because I thought to myself, what happens if I pass out from blood loss and they can't get in the front door. What happens then? So I opened all the doors and had them swung open, so worst case scenario, they could walk straight in and I would be there at the door waiting for them.
Speaker 1: And while you're doing this, I just think, this is such a classic moment of mother's strength. Your gushing blood this entire time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was, And I kept saying that to the person on the phone call, and they're trying to be really relaxed, and they're trying to reassure you, and she was saying things like, don't prevent the baby from coming, and make yourself comfortable, and I'm They're going, how do I make myself comfortable?
Speaker 4: Do I just sit on the floor on this towel bleeding?
Speaker 3: I found myself standing up, just holding on too like a buffer, a kind of side table, just waiting for the ambulance to arrive, with eyesight on the driveway the whole time.
Speaker 1: What was your brain doing? Were you just basically really in the moment at that point or were you thinking the worst?
Speaker 3: I was trying very hard to be absolutely in the moment. In the group message that I had started, my sister did ask me if I had felt the baby, and I had had those thoughts kind of enter my brain at different moments, and I was trying.
Speaker 4: To push them away.
Speaker 3: I did hypno birthing with my son when I had my spontaneous vaginal birth, and it was the exact same in this situation where I just went back to you know, it just becomes all about breathing, and it becomes all about just controlling the thoughts that are entering your mind and getting rid of the ones that are unhelpful and clinging desperately onto the ones that are helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that sushi train analogy, right, you know, you let that thought pass, you take the one off that's helpful, keep the sushi try and going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, coming up, we're taking you into surgery.
Speaker 4: We'll try to stop the bleeding.
Speaker 3: If we can't stop the bleeding, we will perform a hysterectomy.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the paramedics arriving.
Speaker 3: So the paramedics reversed up the driveway and they came in, and they were fabulous. They grabbed my things. They even went to my kitchen and grabbed a garbage bag and we changed over the disposable nappy that I was wearing, and they took the used one with them in a garbage bag. So they obviously had the foresight to know that that would be required. And I walked to the ambulance, got on the trolley and was strapped in and I just remember hanging on for dear life online this little pole next to me.
Speaker 1: So you're in the ambulance. Now, what are the para medics saying to you at this point?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think it was just very everyday shitter chatter type thing. They had no way of monitoring the baby at that point. All they could do was watch my heartbeat. They were reassuring me that my heartbeat was good, and I think that was because I was spending half the time doing these you know, ridiculous deep breaths at hold and release.
Speaker 4: But they were asking.
Speaker 3: About my son and my day and talking about how, you know, the traffic was really good, and it's lights and sirens and the cars are all moving out the way, and I was holding onto the pole next to me, laying down strapped in and there's a little window in the ambulance and I can see all of the prominent Melbourne buildings that were passing as we go through the city. And I was aware that we were moving quite quickly and that felt really good. But I was also aware that nothing was happening in the way. That they had put a canula into my arm in case that would be needed once we arrived. They were monitoring my heart rate, but really it was more just I think, staying in the moment and just conversing until we arrived at a point where something could be done.
Speaker 1: What happens after you get to the emergency room.
Speaker 3: Well, just before we got to the emergency room, I did get reassurance in the way that my baby's back had moved from one side of my body to the other, so that was a big there's movement within there. Once we arrived at the hospital, I was trolleyed into emergency and my husband was there, and that is when I had that absolute, just flood of emotions and I started balling my eyes out, and I remember holding onto him and saying like I'm completely I'm ok I'm okay. I'm just so happy that you're here, like you're my person and we're together.
Speaker 1: I have tears in my eyes too, because I can imagine that, and that's almost like a safety point. It's like I'm holding it together. I'm holding it together. I'm holding it together. I can let go now because I have some support.
Speaker 3: And someone else can hold it together for me. Now you can do that and I can process when I need to. So it moves really quickly from there. Once we were together, the paramedics.
Speaker 4: Took us up to the birth and suite.
Speaker 3: And the head midwife of the floor was there to greet us. I was moved on to the bed and they started hooking me up to monitoring the baby's heart rate and to monitoring my heart rate, and I was told that an obstetrician would be coming to assess me and make a decision about how.
Speaker 2: We were going to proceed.
Speaker 3: The obstetrician arrived, they did an internal examination at that point, and I was told that I was not in labor, even though things in the ambulance had ramped up to the point where I was breathing through what I thought were really progressed contractions. So I arrived at the hospital thinking that I was in quite established labor at that point, because every couple of minutes I'm holding on to something, I'm breathing, I'm getting through it, and then it would subside. But I was told that I was not in labor, and that I was dilated one or two centimeters that I would typically be at that point in prior.
Speaker 4: To active labor beginning.
Speaker 3: Anyway, whilst the obstetrician was conducting my internal the midwives had removed my adult nappy and had taken the second adult nappy of the paramedics, and they weighed those and when they communicated the weight of those to the odd costatrician.
Speaker 1: Everything changed, so it flicks therein Okay, this is emergency mode.
Speaker 3: Yes, so they flip switch quite quickly. The obstetrician looks at me and is very direct, very straight with me, and says, you're losing too much blood. We need to get this baby out immediately. We are taking you into surgery. We will get the baby out. We will try to stop the bleeding. If we can't stop the bleeding, then we will try to inflate your uterus. I believe they said with a balloon. I'm not familiar with that process. And then they said, if not, we will perform a hysterectomy, to which my husband said, what's a hysterectomy? And all the women in the room looked at him and had a little giggle, and I had to say, Babe, I'll take my uterus.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's not funny, but it is funny.
Speaker 4: It's a comedic moment, a light in the mood. In our dark moments.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we need a little giggle, and usually we can rely on men to provide those.
Speaker 4: They do. They provide absolute gold in those, don't.
Speaker 1: They In your head, you're like, okay, so they might be having a hysterectomy. When do they tell you that you're going under because they're not doing a spinal tap, they're putting it under general athetic.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 3: The head midwife of the floor at that point, she was amazing this whole time. I had women holding my arms, rubbing up and down my arms, squeezing my hands. I'm a very physical person, and I remember everyone being really physical with me and like helping reassure me. And she said to me, hold my hand. There's going to be a lot of lights, there's going to be a lot of people. Squeeze my hand. Close your eyes. You don't have to see this. And so I had my eyes closed from when we left the birthing suite to arrive in theater, and then I do remember looking up at the ceiling and seeing people everywhere and hearing so many voices and I'm hard of hearing. I we're hearing aids twenty four to seven. I did not have them in because I was at home watching a movie, and so that in itself was quite overwhelming. But as soon as the anaesthesiologist said Sabrina and spoke directly to me, I knew this is the voice to hang on to and then it was a matter of talking me through the moment. So they said, we're putting another canula in your other arm. You can feel us. Now we're washing your stomach. We're drawing a line where we will cut. Don't worry, nothing will happen until you're under the sheet goes up. I had no idea at this point where my husband was. From the moment I closed my eyes, I just succumbed to the process and just again to breathing, and then I remember, I guess I fell asleep.
Speaker 1: That is very, very harrowing. What we know now is that you had a placental abruption.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: So they took Sienna out and fortunately she is beautiful and healthy, perfect, and they were able to stop the bleeding. Now you did mention something about them saying that she came out all in one with the placenta detached already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they opened me up and I was full of blood.
Speaker 4: They lifted her out, and.
Speaker 3: The umbilical cord obviously came and the placenta came with it. So from what I understand, in those last moments, the plus center had almost completely detached from my uterus. That was the cause of the bleeding. So usually the bleeding that.
Speaker 4: You have post birth is from that big.
Speaker 3: Placental wound in the uterus that was happening to me prior to giving birth. And the issue with that is obviously the placenta provides all of the nutrients and most importantly the oxygen to the baby. So we were extremely lucky in the way that Sienna wasn't deprived of oxygen, and the timing must have just been perfect that she came out and was breathing usually just as at placenta as I said before, came out with her.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, they were able to stop the blood loss and you wake up? What was that like waking up?
Speaker 3: I woke up in recovery I believe about two two and a half hours after her birth, and I was in a recovery ward and there was a nurse with me.
Speaker 4: My husband and Sienna weren't in the room.
Speaker 3: I was never fearful of her not being okay, so I didn't wake up with the scare of where's my baby and did my baby make it? I had this reassurance and just in my soul that everything was okay, And within minutes they had gone and found my husband and Sienna, and they were there extremely quickly, so it wasn't as if I was lacking time.
Speaker 4: With them, and it was beautiful.
Speaker 3: It was a lot, I remember shaking a lot they did the transfusion, but once I had Sienna, I was able to have that beautiful, golden post birth moment. She did a wonderful feed. We did all of our skin to skin. They hadn't given her anything in the time that I had been asleep, and she just did skin to skin with my husband for those two hours. So they had this beautiful moment. And from there it was just becoming more alert to my surroundings and just really taking in that amazement of I have this new baby, and this baby is mine and I didn't birth it through my vagina, So where did it come from?
Speaker 1: Did your husband tell you his thoughts during the process of when you were asleep and Sienna had come out?
Speaker 3: So Emmanuel wasn't allowed in the theater because I was going under the general esthetic, so.
Speaker 4: He was in a room outside of the theater. And my sister, actually, from the.
Speaker 3: Moment that I had texted her telling this had happened, had stormed out of work and jumped in a car and come to the hospital, and so I believe she was in the car when I went under and had called Emmanuel and said she's had multiple cesareans and she was walking him through what they would be doing. So she was walking him through how they prepare for the cesarean and reassuring him that once they make the cuts that the baby comes straight, like, very very quickly, almost instantaneous. So from what I understanded, that was a a really beautiful bonding moment between my husband and my sister, and that he had a person, even though it wasn't physically there, he had someone to rely on.
Speaker 4: But obviously he was ridiculously.
Speaker 3: Scared for myself and obviously having this big, long term relationship with me and the connection he has with me, and then he's scared for this little baby that he's never met before that he doesn't yet have this relationship with. But it's, you know, the person he will live his life with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people, he loves people, he loves Yeah. So they take Sianna out and did she need to spend any time in a nicu?
Speaker 4: She was perfect.
Speaker 3: She came out screaming and because of the nature of the birth, the room was filled with pediatricians and everyone has told me there was just a huge, like a relief from everybody in the room. I have a lot of photos of her coming out. She was obviously covered in blood, but they cleaned her up and she's crying, And I've got all these photos of my husband and her immediately after she was taken out, so he had all of those first moments with her. And I can even click on the live photos and listen to him talking to her whilst I was in surgery.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: What was he saying?
Speaker 3: He was saying things like Mummy's going to be okay. They're working on mummy, Like she's going to be okay, like I'm here, things of that nature. If I ever have a fight with my husband, and I doubt the way he feels about me, I can go back to those photos and brush the short he loves me.
Speaker 1: I think the reason your story is so pertinent at the moment is because of the story that's come out recently, the baby that passed away due to a placental abruption. Yeah, recently, and I think that's affected a lot of people. And I am so happy that you and bub are okay because a placental abruption is incredibly serious. I spoke to an Obstrican before speaking with you today, and it is really one of the most dangerous things that can happen during a pregnancy. And I had no idea, and you had no idea, and I did ask, and I'm sure you've asked as well. They don't really know why it happens. There's a couple of risk factors. But did they give you any indication as to why this happened or.
Speaker 4: I have had care post birth?
Speaker 3: They have tested my plus center and there's nothing unusual. They said it was odd that it happened with my second pregnancy, because if this was something that I was predisposed to, that it would likely show up in my first pregnancy. I meet none of the risk factors and it's not as if I had a fall or anything like that, which has happened since to one of my friends. They've told me at the hospital, and I was at the Royal Women's Hospital Melbourne, which is our biggest hospital, which is where you get sent if there is an emergency like this. They said they see I think they said one in one hundred in a year is a placental abruption. And to my case would be one in like two thousand. So they said placental abruption not particularly rare, but to the extreme level that I had at at quite rare and as you said, very serious.
Speaker 1: And I think the lesson in all of this is, obviously there was a lot of luck involved, but you picking up that phone and calling Triple Zeros straight away is the absolute best thing that you could have done.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And that was told to me continuously by everyone I spoke to in the days after, because I had woken up from this experience and I guess I didn't really understand and it took me days to work out just how serious it had been, because you're not aware, as a typical person how much blood you have in your body, or what normal blood loss is, or when it does get to a point where it becomes critical. So in speaking to the obstetrician that did the surgery in you know how tight Some of the hugs I got from the midwives were like those things are telling that people would come in, nurses and midwives would come in and they would know who I was on the floor. They had heard of what had happened. So there was quite a few things like that that made me think, oh, this is more than I thought it was initially.
Speaker 1: It's probably a good thing in retrospect for you personally, you know, like being just that kind of speed of it. But I am so so happy that Sienna came out beautifully. I'm so happy that you recovered well. And how long were you in hospital after Sienna's birth?
Speaker 3: They were actually pretty discharged me on day two, but she had just dropped a little bit more of her birthway than they were happy with, and so really I stayed in hospital for I believe five days to monitor her growth.
Speaker 1: So you did have a transfusion, not an iron infusion.
Speaker 3: I had a blood transfusion when I was in recovery, straight after I'd woken up. Then they ran my blood work that day, and every day that I was in the.
Speaker 4: Hospital they ran my blood work, and I was completely fine.
Speaker 3: The bloods showed no sign at all of me losing the amount that a blood that I did, to the point when I went to my six week check up with my GP, he seriously questioned what had happened, because he goes it.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 3: And I asked all of those questions to the hospital when I went back and had post care with them, and they really attributed the amount of iron that I was during pregnancy was significant, and my stores were apparently just so good that I was able to bounce the way that I did.
Speaker 1: Do you know from the reports how much blood you lost in total?
Speaker 3: In total the hospital from what they could gather in their ambulance and at the hospital and obviously in theater they had edit two and a half leters, so that would be not including the amount that I had lost initially at home. Wow, to which when I first was told that, again, I had no real understanding of what that meant. How much blood does the body even hold? I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Do you know now?
Speaker 3: I think my GP told me for someone of my size, I'm one hundred and sixty three centimeters, I'm not a tall woman.
Speaker 4: I would probably have about five and a half.
Speaker 1: You lost a lot of blood. You lost a lot of blood. Yes, I guess. The way that I would love to finish this is is there a message that you would like to share regarding your placental abruption.
Speaker 3: I would just love people to know that it exists.
Speaker 4: I am in no.
Speaker 3: Way wanting to scare pregnant women, especially first time mothers. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with learning about the different things that can happen in birth and the different pathways that it can take. Absolutely trusting your instinct that if something is wrong, act. There is no shame in acting where it is not needed. And if you have to backtrack, that's completely fine. But if you act immediately and it's needed, then you can save your life.
Speaker 4: You can save your baby's life.
Speaker 3: And I did all of this training for hypnobirth in for my first birth, and never did I think that it would have such an impact on my second emergency birth, where it kept me grounded and kept me calm, was just as useful.
Speaker 2: Talk a lot about that.
Speaker 1: There's the fight flight or phrase, yes you're calm, you're in fight mode, and you were this is what I need to do, and you can hear that in the call. I was blown away by your calm and ability to get through that. I'm so happy that everything is okay, and how all this Ciena.
Speaker 3: Now, Sienna is just over one and she's striving, she's walking, and she's talking and eating and interacting and socializing and cheers and absolute delight of a baby.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Sabrina for sharing your story. I'm going to need a few tissues after this, but thank you very much, and yeah, very happy that everyone is okay.
Speaker 4: Thank you for allowing me to share.
Speaker 1: Given today's episode has been pretty traumatic, I wanted to get some information from our resident obstitution and pocologist, doctor Bronwendevine, about what exactly a placental abruption is.
Speaker 6: So, a placental abruption is a really very serious complication of the second half of pregnancy, and it occurs when the placenta, either in part or in full, shears off the wall of the uterus, so it comes away from the wall of the uterus. And the placenta is connected to the uterus to provide oxygen and nutrients for the baby. So if it comes away, the baby can't get oxygen and nutrients, and oxygens the really important one. I mean, they can go for a little bit of time without getting nutrients coming across, but oxygen's imperative. Fetuses don't breathe via their lungs, so they need to get oxygen via the placenta. And if the placenta comes off the utrine wall and it comes off a huge chunk of it comes off, then that will leave the baby without an oxygen supply and that can be extremely dangerous. Now, sometimes there's an abruption where the placenta comes away a little bit and there can be a lot of bleeding because the percentae comes away. Then there's bleeding from behind that, and that can trickle down and be obvious bleeding and then the baby can be okay. But if we diagnose a placental abruption, that's in almost all instances and indication to get the baby born quickly. It's not just the bub who's at risk from a placental abruption. Mums can be at really serious risk as well. In response to a placental abruption, they can develop what we call a coagulopathy, so their blood can stop clotting and they can then bleed and bleed very very heavily.
Speaker 2: And what about the risk factors?
Speaker 6: So it can happen without any known risk factors, but we do know of several risk factors for the condition. So if you've had a placental abruption before, you are at increased risk in a subsequent pregnancy. Having high blood pressure in pregnancy is an increased risk, and there are certain autoimmune conditions that are more likely to be associated with the blsas central abruption, and usually we're aware of those beforehand because there are other things that can happen as well, so we've usually got an idea one of those conditions might be present. There are steps we can take, for example, watching the baby's growth very carefully and having people on blood thinners and things like that that can help with reducing the risk. Controlling blood pressure, keeping an eye on a fetus's growth, keeping an eye with ultrasounds and things like that can help us predict some of the features that can be present before an abruption occurs. But sometimes it just occurs out of the blue without any warning signs and it can be very very serious for Mum and bub.
Speaker 1: Dari of a Birth was hosted by me Kasanulo Kitch with expert input from doctor Bronwyn Devine. And while we have you here, we're on the hunt to share powerful underrepresented stories from people of all cultures, backgrounds and abilities.
Speaker 2: If you've been affected by today's episode, we've attached additional resources in the show notes.
Speaker 1: This episode was produced by Tina Matalov and myself Cassenya Lukich with audio production by Leah Porgies