Speaker 1: People always ask me, like, if you could go back and change it, would you?
Speaker 2: No way?
Speaker 1: Because everything in my life, everything's happened, the good, the bad, ugly has brought me to this moment today and I love my life.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 4: I'm Kate Lanebrook, host of No Filter. Today's guest is Sophie Delizio. Most Australians met Sophie when she was two years old after a car crashed into her childcare center and left her fighting for her life. She survived, and then extraordinarily survived a second catastrophic accident just a few years later. She grew up in hospitals, in the headlines and in the hearts of a country that has been quietly following her ever since. But the woman sitting across from me today isn't the little girl from those front pages. She's twenty five. She's married to her childhood sweetheart, and a new mom working out like every new mum, hold on to herself in the middle of it all. We talk about what it's actually like to build an identity beyond the story people think they already know about you, about motherhood, and the particular fear a cesarean brought up for someone who's spent a lifetime in operating theaters about why she stepped away from social media completely and what brought her back, and about her new podcast and why she's finally ready to talk about.
Speaker 3: Her own accidents on her own terms.
Speaker 4: This is the extraordinary, Sophie Dealizio.
Speaker 3: Sophie Dealisio, welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I honored to be here.
Speaker 4: Well, you had a bit of an ordeal finding us, which we were just discussing. It involved you having to navigate your way from another part of the building.
Speaker 3: Everything looks sort of foreign.
Speaker 4: But I was surprised because when I look at the achievements of your life life, I imagine that you're an extremely well organized person.
Speaker 2: I try to be.
Speaker 1: My husband would say otherwise, but he knows the other side of me, and usually he's the one picking up the pieces.
Speaker 2: But no, I try to be organized. A love a list.
Speaker 4: I make a list of lists and it's very s Oh really, and do you cross them off?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll do the most mundane task just to take it off, like I'll right like wake.
Speaker 2: Up, and I'll take that off, wake up. That's all the.
Speaker 4: Small things that's really going lowest common denominator, wake up. Oh yeah, but actually that's a good ticks for people who feel like they're really in a hole in life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a win.
Speaker 2: You've at least done that, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's interesting talking about waking up because you, as a little girl came probably as close to death as it's possible to come, and as a consequence.
Speaker 3: Of which you were really held in the heart of the nation from that point.
Speaker 4: In two thousand and three, you were two years old and I had just had my first baby, Lewis, And you know, you're a mother now, so you know that there are certain that the children of the world sort of feel like your children when you've just had a baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And so it feels like I've spent a lot of my life with you.
Speaker 3: But you're very young. You're twenty five.
Speaker 4: I am, but I and a lot of people have known you for a lot of your life.
Speaker 2: I get that a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's your mass.
Speaker 2: Really lovely to hear. I wish I knew everyone as well as they know me.
Speaker 3: Well, that would take a huge capacity.
Speaker 4: But is an interesting thing because as a result of the injuries that you sustained when you were little, you're quite distinctive as well, aside from the fact that we've seen your face on magazines and you know, but so people recognize you when they see you, and do they then put the pieces together of who you are? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think my husband's very perceptive to this, and he'll see people noticing me from a distance and then thinking to themselves, so do I go up?
Speaker 2: Do I not?
Speaker 1: Most of the time people come up, and it's always lovely to hear the impact my story has had on them and what, you know, the views that has shown them for the world, and you know the reality of what can happen, and you know, that's the reason why parents put my story out there was to spread awareness of disability and burns and amputees and amputations and wheelchairs and prosthetics and all that jazz that comes with my life and to hear that it does have that impact and it still carries that impact, as you know, was the original goal and continues to be, which is great.
Speaker 4: Because there may be some people who don't know. Can you tell us so who you were in two thousand and three you were two years old, yes, that was two and a half, and what was your family like at that point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a pretty ish normal family.
Speaker 1: My had my two parents, Ron and Carolyn, and I have an older brother, Mitchell, and I have an older brother John from my dad's previous marriage, and we Other than that, it was a pretty normal life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My mum's family all lived overseas and my dad's family didn't live nearby but was still in Sydney, and it was pretty normal. I mean, it was leading up to Christmas, so we'd put up the Christmas tree it happened.
Speaker 4: Which is two year old. That do you remember that? Because the first Christmas tree that you remember teends to be around that age, maybe three.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is like, I can't I don't know if I remember it, or I'm remembering it because I saw a photo and I made it up in my mind, or I'm made it up because my parents told me the story.
Speaker 2: I can't say for sure.
Speaker 1: I like my memory is a bit foggy from back then, So it's a mix of stories and you know, maybe fignant or my imagination.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you are someone whose story has been told, yes by other people many times as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it almost feels like someone else's story and it's not a bad thing. I'm you know, very happy in a lot of ways that I don't remember what happened to me, but there does leave pieces unsolved, and I guess I'll never know.
Speaker 2: My true version of it because I don't remember.
Speaker 1: And that could be a combination of things, the medication I was on, the brain, injury from my second accident, or just my body making me forget, which you know, all are very probable.
Speaker 3: With reasons, or the fact that you were two years old.
Speaker 1: Old exactly, so I don't really remember having feet or you know, jumping and running.
Speaker 2: But it's weird.
Speaker 1: I can feel I can still remember the feeling of sand between my toes, so like if I'm at the beach, and obviously I can put my hands through the sand and all that, yeh, but I know what it would feel like to have sand between.
Speaker 3: My toes, that sensory feeling. Yeah, And that could be.
Speaker 1: Just because I could, you know, figure it out on my own and like, oh, I guess that's what it feels like.
Speaker 2: But I'm pretty certain of that and I just remember that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was, I mean two and a half years old. The night before my first accident, my parents went out for their wedding anniversary, which was two days prior, so we had a babysitter and yeah, the day it happened, we were waiting for Santa Claus to come on a fire truck, right, and it was I don't know why he was coming on a fire truck, but for some reason he.
Speaker 4: Often counts on a fire truck. I think in Australia we have trouble finding binder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Race.
Speaker 1: I's not at that stage yet, so that does make sense. Yeah, And I always say in my keynote speeches, which gets laugh I have a very dark sense of humor, and it's you know, the fire truck came, but Santa didn't bush wow, bit bad but oh well. But yeah, the basically the sum of it is, and this is a very short version because I've been got pretty good at cutting it down. We were asleep waiting for Santa Claus to arride, So.
Speaker 2: You were at kinda Yeah, so I was in pre school.
Speaker 1: We were all asleep in our room and I had I was in the middle of I don't know, I can't remember how we slept, but there were two people on either side of me, and man driving a car had a seizure. His foot was on the accelerator. The car keptin going hit the curb, flew over a classroom of eighteen month old babies, which I just want to point out, like the car literally skipped over entire classroom, that's how high it flew and landed on top of me. The wheels well on top of the book like there was a bookshelf, so it kind of like lifted the car off the ground a little bit, so I wasn't squished, but I was still underneath and the wheels kept on turning, and you know, as science has it created friction and fiction cause fire. So yeah, the car caught a light and myself and one of the people next to me were trapped under the car. The person on the other side escaped without a scratch, which is amazing. And yeah, we were eventually pulled out and taken to local hospital, which wasn't able to treat our extensive burns in a pediatric case, so we were then helicoptered over to Sydney Children's Hospital.
Speaker 3: When you say extensive burns, Sophie, it was to eighty percent of your body, was it?
Speaker 1: Yes, So I can't remember the statistics from the other person's burns, but mine were eighty five to ninety percent of my body third degree and some fourth degree burns. So essentially, like fourth degree is basically on my back. I have a very small layer of skin, no fat, no flesh even, it's just literally skin and bone.
Speaker 3: But you were sleeping on your tummy, is that right?
Speaker 4: And that that saved you?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's why only a part of my face is burnt. It's like, you know, it cuts off the end of my right eyebrow barely, and then I don't have an ear on my right hand side, and the back of my head is all burnt, but my face is relatively unburnt. And yeah, my all my vital organs were protected because of that, which is crazy if you look.
Speaker 4: At it back at it now now that you also have Frankie, your baby, who's similar in age now to what you is, almost two. The I can't even imagine how that was for your parents at the time.
Speaker 2: It was crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how what what happened from in them putting together the mosaic of your life through their version of events or did they not talk about it much when you were growing up?
Speaker 1: Or so when I had my legs amputated. I don't actually know how far into my hospital stay or post accident I had my legs amputated because I was in an induced coma for I'm going to say two months. I can't remember exactly, but around that period. I was in ICU for around two and a half months, and I was obviously not in a great state. I was on life support, so I wasn't conscious during that period. And one of the things they consulted a psychiatrist on how to deal with, you know, this whole psychologist on how to deal with all this, you know, with my understanding of it, and they said, don't tell her anything, let her figure it out for herself. So I woke up after losing my legs and I don't know again, I don't know how far after this was, and I just looked at my parents said I don't have legs on it more, just as simple as that. And there was no you know, tears, is nothing, because I was two and a half to and half actually understands the like what that actually means. It was just a matter of fact, Okay, this is my reality now moving on. I guess that's the beauty of childhood ignorance.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 3: Yes, and yeah, to a certain extent. You only know what you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the you that you find yourself in is.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah, exactly. I was still whoever I was at two and a half, you know. Obviously it was a bit different from my brother Mitchell, who was four at the time. That was a different, you know, like story for him, you know, obviously remembering what my life was before and then and when my parents told him that I was losing my legs, he said, don't worry, Mummy and Daddy.
Speaker 2: Her legs were back like a lizard's tail. And he was obsessed with this.
Speaker 1: Is at the time obviously, but just that you know, again child on ignorance, thinking, you know, it's all going to be okay, and that was his way of accompanying mom and dad. But you know, they obviously handled it pretty well because I'm here. They were asked countless times to turn my life support machine off, and that's obviously a decision. They decided not to go down. Well, sorry, path, they decided not to go down.
Speaker 3: Do you know why they decided not to do? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Was it because they had faith in the fact that you were able to recover.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, at the time, there were very few pediatric burns that were of that extent in the media, especially at Australian standards.
Speaker 2: There wasn't you know.
Speaker 1: Obviously there's some amazing burn survivors out there who had immediate presence before, but not in my of my age group.
Speaker 3: Yes, not many three year olds.
Speaker 2: No, no, So they had nothing really to compare it to. Yes, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And they consulted my surgeon a lot, and he's was my surgeon from day one and it's still my surgeon to the day. And he they said, you know, how do we know how much she can bear? And his response, he was always very is, very wise with his you know, analogies, and he said, well, how much kind of koala bear? And it's a bit nonsensical, it's you know, very metaphorical and philosophical when you think about it and whatever. But that was the saying that made my parents hold on really. And it was really crazy because the night before my wedding, I was in an airbnb with my maids and was steaming my wedding dress and Mum came in and the painting above the bed of the room we were in was a Koala bear and that's the room that I got dressed, and like I got my wedding dress on the day after and everything.
Speaker 2: So that was very you know, full circle. So I did.
Speaker 1: I There were so many different reasons why they held on, and you know, there was a clean accumulation of things from the support they had, their you know, faith in one another and the love and I don't know what it is, but they just did.
Speaker 4: And at the time, I think, and you're in hospital for like a year, and I think, as I said before, the nation was very invested in you. And then you would think that that is enough for one small creature.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: You would think, yep, that is the lightning strike that has happened.
Speaker 2: Let's do it again.
Speaker 3: And yet when you were five, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was crossing the road with my Cara and my assistant dog and I was in a pram at the time, and a driver got blinded by the sun and didn't see me crossing the road, hit my stroller and I flew eighteen meters in the air, learning headfirst on the pavement.
Speaker 3: It's quite extraordinary.
Speaker 4: And that so the complication, so you were already dealing with the surgeries that you were having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still have been ongoing things. Absolutely, I don't think that well. I mean it still hasn't stopped, so it certainly didn't stop that right that accident, I ended up in Sydney Children's Hospital and Randwick and I suffered all internal injuries. I had a brain injury, broken ribs, something happened to my lung. I honestly can't remember the list of things because there was just so many little breaks and bruises, but the two Maine injuries that I still lived to this days.
Speaker 2: I have a brain injury and I lost my sense of smell.
Speaker 1: Ah, really, which I want to point out, I did not tell my parents that I couldn't smell until I was like fourteen, and I just went up to my mum one day. I was like, do you know I can't smell? And She's like no, I was like, I just it's not something I like ever communicated.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is interesting because it once again requires seeing things through the prism of a child. But did you notice that you couldn't smell or did it just become your new normal that you couldn't smell?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 1: Like if anyone ever puts even to the date, put a flower to my I'd.
Speaker 2: Be like, hmm, smells great, and this is one.
Speaker 1: Of my close friends or family. But even my mom forgets or my husband forgets. I can't actually know my husband probably not so much, but everyone else in my life forgets, and they'll be like, oh, that smells good, and.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think I either just thought they knew because I'm like, well, they knew all my diagnosis, but then I kind of forgot that, Oh yeah, there's no actually way they would know.
Speaker 4: Maybe presumably in the scale of what you had endured and you were enduring, maybe sense of smell just never even came up in yeah as being significant.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But the way to actually test if you can't smell, it's the silliest.
Speaker 2: Test on this planet.
Speaker 1: Because you've got hundreds of thousands of nerves between your eyebrows.
Speaker 3: Let's just say, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Connecting your nose to your brain, and their microscopic they're so tiny because it's such a small space. Only way to test it, or at least the way I got tested, was you have to smell a liquid and say if it's sweet, sour, or savory.
Speaker 3: From the scenes of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can't answer I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, getting it right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I got I think it was like sixty percent correct.
Speaker 2: And I can promise.
Speaker 1: You I had zero sense of smell and I just lucked out by guessing sixty That's why we love.
Speaker 3: Multiple choice exams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. If only I did so well at multiple choice at school. Yeah, it was the weirdest test.
Speaker 4: But what did your mum say, by the way, when you were fourteen and you told her.
Speaker 2: I think she was like, oh, we should probably get that looked down or something along that it was.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so insignificant because it obviously hasn't changed anything about my life. Yes, there are some risks in terms of if there's you know, a fire, I can't smell it, or your baby. Yeah, yeah exactly. My husband says it's a superpowers Yeah, like it's it's not the end of the world.
Speaker 2: It just complicates some things.
Speaker 4: But your parents gave you an extraordinary gift, it seems, in their attitude towards you and how you would negotiate life with the complications that's presented. And what was that, I mean, knowing what you know of them now. Was that an ideology that they came up with together or was that just kind of on the fly that they both had this, Well, we're going to focus on what Sophie can do, not what she can't do.
Speaker 1: I think that would have been a decision they made together. Kind of speaks to both of them. They come from, you know, very resilient family. Both their parents, you know, lived through the war, and you know, my dad's both my dad's parents grew up in Malta during the war, where they paid chicken with the bombs, like who could stay outside the longest, Well, we'll be bombed. And Malta was the most bombed country in the war, and which is crazy. And then my mom's mom grew up in South Africa and my mom's dad's brother.
Speaker 2: Was a prisoner of war. He was a pilot who got shut down.
Speaker 1: So they come from families that are, you know, pretty incredible. They've lived through a lot, and you know, they both are as well. And I think that they just knew Well, my brother is obviously older, so I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to be learning a lot a lot from him.
Speaker 1: Let's just give them the same opportunities just because I have a disability doesn't define who I am.
Speaker 2: You know, if my brother can do it, then so can I.
Speaker 4: So you went to school, everything was as it would have been if nothing untoward it ever happened to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's the way they at least tried to raise me. Obviously, there were things that you know, were different from most childhoods. I had, you know, yearly surgeries, multiple a year. I was in a wheelchair for most well for all of my primary school years and most of my high school years. I have to deal with, you know, wound care and certain pains and you know, all the stuff that you know, most children don't have to deal with. But in other areas, you know, I lived in a normal life. I did school sport, I you know, went to school camp. And I think when I went into high school and the principals started having opinions on what I should be doing instead and trying to challenge that view of my parents, that's when it becomes.
Speaker 3: Like in terms of limiting what you should be doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were certain instances where I moved to three different high schools just because I couldn't find the right fit. And one of the schools I went to the principal believed that instead of for example, during Pe when they were playing netball, I wouldn't obviously do it because I was in my wheelchair and you know, I didn't get much benefit out of you know, tossing a ball like you know, it wasn't the sort of same thing for me. But for example, if we were doing swimming, I do swimming with them, so I'd go to learning support to do a few extra hours of studying, and the principle believed that that was not beneficial to me and I needed to watch people play sport instead.
Speaker 2: Spec Yeah, they said I could be a.
Speaker 1: Referee, which is like, you know, for twelve year old, I was like, what am I going to do?
Speaker 2: A blow whistle?
Speaker 4: I know we're all about respecting referees, but even at twelve, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And then there were a few things with you know, school camps when there was a bit of rain and there was a risk that you know, the buses couldn't come collect us, so I had to be sent home early, whereas.
Speaker 2: My friends all stayed at camp.
Speaker 1: And I remember leaving camp crying because I.
Speaker 2: Didn't want to leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, no, I want to stay with my friends, and the school made the decision to pull me out.
Speaker 2: There were a few things that, you know, there's a list of things.
Speaker 4: But so at that point, so you were at high school, then had you learned to advocate for yourself.
Speaker 2: A little bit? I think I learned more through experiencing that.
Speaker 1: It's hard at the time when you're looking too you know, the head of the school and they're making those decisions for you. I remember having a meeting with my parents and the principal and some teachers about it, and at that point I already wasn't enjoying certain aspects of the school socially, so I had made the decision to leave anyway and to go to another school. So that was in the back of my mind, but that certainly encouraged my parents to.
Speaker 2: Put me out.
Speaker 1: My parents were more than happy to find the right fit instead of making me be the example, because at the end of the day, not every person with disability or people in a minority group should have to be the ones to educate.
Speaker 2: Someone, you know, if they don't want to be that example. You know.
Speaker 3: But once again, extraordinary thinking, because sometimes it's like, well, rather than making Sophie start in a new school again where she arrives and she's in the wheelchair and she's different or whatever. We'll just try and accept and make it work with where we are. But the thinking was when it was clear that it wasn't working for you to step into the new Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And the school I moved to, I already had a group of friends at. One of my best friends already went there, so they weren't necessarily worried about me socially.
Speaker 2: It was more just like, you know, this person's.
Speaker 1: Going to behave and think and make decisions because that's their view on life.
Speaker 2: We don't have to be the ones.
Speaker 1: You know, We're going to give our reasonings, but we're not there to change every aspect of their view on life. So we're just gonna give our reasonings and leave. Because at that point I didn't want to make it a bigger thing.
Speaker 2: Than it had to be.
Speaker 1: And I was already, as I mentioned, I was already looking to leave for social reasons. And you know, it's great that I did, because I ended up meeting my husband at the next school.
Speaker 3: Out very well. Oh so that's where you met Joseph.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's where I met Joseph.
Speaker 1: Halfway through year nine, and yeah, I'm already my childhood best friend. She knew him right, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like, oh, you guys will get along cause they were good friends.
Speaker 3: And what class was it in or was it outside of class?
Speaker 2: It was outside.
Speaker 1: He was away for the first few weeks when I first joined, and that's.
Speaker 3: Because she kept talking about Joseph and Joseph, yes.
Speaker 1: And then we met outside in the locker room, and then we had drama together that day. And yeah, we didn't start dating in high school. We started dating afterwards, but we became very quick friends.
Speaker 4: I'll be back with Sophie after this short break. When you look back now at the man who's your husband, do you think that you always knew?
Speaker 2: No, you know, we both remember meeting each other.
Speaker 1: And I have for someone who has a terrible memory, the people who've made the biggest impacts on my life, I remember meeting and I always think that's a sign, like all my best and closest and dearest friends, I have the sharpest memory of meeting. And then yeah, I just others. I you know, no offense, don't I just have a bad memory. But I feel like that's like a sign my self conscious is telling me, but no, I just knew that we were going to be very good friends, and we were for many years.
Speaker 3: When you were at school. What did you want to do at that point, Oh.
Speaker 1: I had no idea. I view a lot of life as I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone in five years. And that's from the viewpoint of, you know, I don't know how my medical needs are going to change. I certainly didn't know at the time, so I just you know, I loved drama, I knew I didn't like science, so I was just taking it as it came. I yeah, never really looked too far ahead, and in case the version of reality wasn't exactly what I wanted it.
Speaker 3: To be, so I just yes.
Speaker 4: And you had learnt twice that yeah, the unexpected can happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it does happen no matter how hard you try to make it not. One viewpoint that my mum always instilled in me was you know, have goals in life, absolutely, and I always did. But my goals were more you know, do this or do that, like a bit more specific, right, and you know, like I want to skydive, or I want to move to London, and some yes, theos are both very dramatic things.
Speaker 2: But did you want to sky dive?
Speaker 3: I did skydar Did you skydive?
Speaker 1: My again, Joseph, my now husband, skydived when he went skydiving when he.
Speaker 2: Was fourteen I think he was and or fifteen.
Speaker 1: And he showed me the video and I was like, well, I have to skyd it.
Speaker 2: That looks insane.
Speaker 1: And every skydiving company in Australia said no to me because of the risks and the are the risks because of the hut landing, Yeah, because of the landing aspect, which I understand.
Speaker 2: You know, they have rules for a reason. Yeah. But Muman's still with the message and me of if plan A.
Speaker 1: Doesn't work, you just work your way through the alphabet. And you know, the goal was to go skydiving, and I was like, well, I'm going to go skydiving, I know, so I you know, just kept on working the way down the alphabet and then oh, I can't even say how many years later, I think.
Speaker 2: Five years later. Four years later, I was in New.
Speaker 1: Zealand on a family union with my cousins and they went skydiving and because of the way the mountains like are in Queenstown. It protects the area in which you land, so you're almost guaranteed no wind than like a bum.
Speaker 3: Land, so it's slightly more insulated landing than it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, whereas in Australia you're doing it along the coast, so it's unless you're you know in you know, middle of Australia, which I don't think there are any skydiving companies there would be cool.
Speaker 3: But you didn't get that alphabet no exactly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it worked out then virtu was great, But it was that notion of you know, just because it's not working now, it doesn't mean it's not going to work in the future.
Speaker 4: You know, because you've faced and face a lot of physical challenges that most people would never encounter. When you're about to jump out of a plane, did you feel fear?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, not just before when you're you've just jumped, you're like, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Die, right, so I cannot do this and leave?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was more just like you're free falling like literally towards the ground, so like there is that I think it's like a millisecond in your.
Speaker 2: Mind where you're like, oh, I'm like this is it.
Speaker 1: But then the you know, then your mind comprehends, Oh no, I'm skydiving.
Speaker 2: It's okay, right?
Speaker 3: And were you with someone that you were doing your town?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was tand for sure, and my brother was Mitch did. Mitch did it as well. I think he got pressured into it because of me, but he did it.
Speaker 2: Made thing. You loved it in the end. Wow.
Speaker 4: And so you mentioned England as well, which was another So where was that idea born from? Which was after school you went to study in London?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I moved to London when I just turned eighteen.
Speaker 1: I was young for my years, so I graduated at seventeen, right, and obviously knew I couldn't move until I was a legal adult. I went on a trip there with my mum when I was fifteen, and I remember saying, what like we just drove out of the airport and I was like, I need to move here.
Speaker 2: This is my dream.
Speaker 1: I always knew I wanted to live somewhere else out and go to unie outside of Australia. I think growing up it was New York just because that you know gossip girl ideology.
Speaker 2: Of New York's great and beautiful city.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, and then yeah, I went to London and I was like, no, this is the place for me. And yeah, I just held on to it and went onto that dream and then didn't really give anyone a chance.
Speaker 2: To say no. And then I hopped on a plane just a eighteen.
Speaker 3: What was involved in that?
Speaker 4: Because, yeah, you have, like you said, you have your medical needs. Yeah, and appointments and surgeries and prosthetics.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think as I had a few years to prepare, my parents tried to set my medical will, kind of ease off the surgeries and set myself up for you know, the least amount of medical intervention as possible. Obviously, you know, things can still happen, and things do still happen. But the craziest thing is I had this doctor who I was He.
Speaker 2: Was probably my first crush.
Speaker 1: I was obsessed with this doctor when I had my first accident.
Speaker 2: And he was.
Speaker 1: I think it was at a registrant whatever, like the junior doctor. He was a junior doctor training under my surgeon and his At the time, you were kind of assigned a case in the ICU, and your responsibility was that person. So if anything happened, even if you went on shift, you had to go to.
Speaker 2: The hospital to tend to that case.
Speaker 1: And his name was doctor Johnny and I loved him anyway. Before I moved to London, I met with my surgeon, doctor Peter, just to talk through.
Speaker 3: This is your lifelong surgeon.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, and yeah, my lifelong surgeon since day one. And I was like, you know, I'm moving to London, is there anything I need to know? And he's like, oh, doctor Johnny works at the lead Burns Hospital in London.
Speaker 2: So I met up with him.
Speaker 1: Who he hadn't seen me since I was three, but he knew everything about my first accident at least, which is the one that requires.
Speaker 2: Me to still have surgeries. So that was very surreal.
Speaker 4: That also could have been were it not probably for the yawning chasm of age difference a rom com.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was weird meeting up with him again.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so he was my point of contact that just lucked out that he was, you know, not that far away from And.
Speaker 4: Does that mean that when you if you had needed anything while you were there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there were a few medical episodes that I needed, you know, extra attention, so I went to him.
Speaker 2: I fell out of my wheelchair at one point. It's very funny.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I have like safety wheels on the back of my wheelchair so that if I tip back, they'll catch me. I for some reason, one of the safety wheels had broken. I tipped back and kept him forth and I like splashed my head. I was fine, but I had this bad word, so I just had to go see him and he tended to it.
Speaker 3: Where were you when you tipped?
Speaker 1: I think I was in Paris, actually with my brother. Let's blame my brother on that.
Speaker 2: One, right, But I was.
Speaker 3: Jumping out of a plane exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there were little things like that, but we made it work in other ways. I had I've a regimented wound care routine. Is this for your league? Yes, because using prosthetics create pressure saws, and I know I could not wear my prosthetics and I wouldn't get them, but I just like, where's.
Speaker 2: My the way I live life, so.
Speaker 1: I would get my Mum would chip over the bandages to me. So other than that, there wasn't really any care that I needed over there. I think my parents knew that I needed to figure out for myself as well. So there were some challenges with say, my prosthetics. And I'm lucky enough to be a UK citizen, so I was able to access NHS right and they have great prosthetics services within the hospitals.
Speaker 3: So what were you studying, by the way, and where were you?
Speaker 1: I lived around King's Cross, Bloomsbury to be exact, but no one knows where that is. And I studied at Soas University, love London, and what it was my course Social Anthropology and Developmental Studies. I never graduated because I came back during COVID and I just couldn't do the eleven hour time difference. But I did study it, so don't have the deployment to show for it.
Speaker 4: But I and what was the idea behind studying that?
Speaker 1: No clue according to UNI, being like I want to leave with a degree that could lead me anywhere. And as soon as I started, I was like, damn it, why am I doing this? Like why didn't I pick a degree that gave me a specific job in a specific line of work.
Speaker 3: But how was the overall experience of that? So, oh, my god, to be in a country where you.
Speaker 4: Know, I said to you, you know at the start of the conversation that a lot of Australia have got a context for you? Was that one of the things that you loved about being over there that there wasn't that context for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I deep down wanted to start my own life and start with a blank page. But it's so funny because it did follow me. Obviously, my disability is still there, but there were weird instances where I was at the gym and an American lady who had an Australian grandma told her about me. I was walking down the street and there was another Australian who'd moved to London who recognized me. Just random things. So you know, it did follow me around. But I still got to create a life of my own and.
Speaker 2: That was really powerful.
Speaker 3: And what did you learn about yourself on your own?
Speaker 1: I think I learned what true independence is. And I made the wonderful of friendships, and I learnt a lot on how to get out of grown university.
Speaker 2: I learned on a lot of good things.
Speaker 1: But I just learned, yeah, how to be me and not have my story to find me and not have my disability to find me. And you know, I took a lot of I had to take a lot of accountability for my health because before I had.
Speaker 2: Cares and I had nur so it would help with my wounds.
Speaker 1: I had physios, I had all this stuff, and suddenly it was all gone, and I had to choose, well, do I need that sort of care or do I need to see this personal Oh my legs are having a bad day, I need to take time off them. Where you know, I went over with only my manual wheelchair, whereas before I left, I had an electric wheelchair. So I was making those decisions in real time, and that was, you know, the most valuable lesson of all.
Speaker 4: In all of this while you're away, it almost seems like it was preparation for the next phase of your life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I wouldn't be who I am today without going to London.
Speaker 3: Stay with us.
Speaker 4: My conversation with Sophie continues after this break. Where was the love of your life when you were in London?
Speaker 3: Where was Joseph?
Speaker 2: He was in Sydney.
Speaker 1: We'd our friendship had taken like a little natural hiatus. We just graduated from high school, so he was on his own journey becoming a chef, so he was doing studies for that, and I was off in London. We'd seen each other briefly just before I left, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: I even think we messaged that much when I was over and then just as you know, friendships to our high school and then I came back during COVID and the beauty of COVID.
Speaker 2: And the additial days was that five kilometer radius.
Speaker 3: Oh of course at least and within the time he was.
Speaker 1: Within the five and being a chef and going from chef hours to you know, COVID hours was very freedom for a schedule because he was only working you know, four hour, five hour chefs. So yeah, he and I met up and you know, the rest is history. But it was, you know, funny way of you know, I had no plans to come to reracticity ever, like you know, odd visits, but I was like, my life's in London, that's the COVID.
Speaker 3: And now and now we're staying put.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot of support and a lot of love for Frankie around us, So you know, I'm happy.
Speaker 3: You had Frankie before you got married.
Speaker 2: Yes, And was that.
Speaker 4: Your intention to try and have a baby, even though I know you've spoken before about I mean, most women do not know how their body is going to.
Speaker 1: Exact respond that's you know, disability or not.
Speaker 2: No one knows how it is going to be.
Speaker 1: You know, conceiving and pregnancy and birth, it is all unwritten, all unknown.
Speaker 2: You can you know, even having a baby.
Speaker 1: You can read as many parenting books as you want, but it's all up to the baby and how they're going to be.
Speaker 3: And the fertility gods can be cruel.
Speaker 1: Yes, and my mum had her own fertility journey, and my you know, I had that in the back of my mind. My grandparents on what my grandmother's on either side had their own journey too, So coming into this, you know, I was raised with awareness that, you know, your body can be perfectly healthy, you can have absolutely nothing wrong with you, and you can still struggle to conceive or have a healthy pregnancy whatever.
Speaker 4: Well, your conversation with Joseph about obviously would have encompassed that or who was leading the charge John on wanting a baby or did it happen?
Speaker 1: We both always wanted kids, and I think it was just a we don't know. You know, there's even studies to prove that high amounts of anesthetic at a young age can impact fertility. I have you know, this is very small study. There's a lot of complications. I do not believe that it is the case because I was able to have a healthy pregnancy, and trust me, I had a lot of anesthetic.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know, we both went.
Speaker 1: Into this journey being like, well, we don't know what's going to happen. We don't know how easy or how hard it's going to be. I also have pomos, so going into previously known as pcos, and you know, every doctor will tell you if you have pmos, you know you've got to struggle to conceive. And I know plenty of people who have moas who you know, conceived very quickly, if not, you know, before there, before they even realized, you know, what was happening. But I think that's just the joys of being a woman, is that you're aways, you know, told it's going to be difficult, and it can be.
Speaker 2: And I think we just lucked out.
Speaker 3: And then you welcome baby Frankie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then we had wonderful pregnancy.
Speaker 1: The birth was you know, again, I didn't go into pregnancy or that journey thinking I'm absolutely going to have this birth and it's going to go this way.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to do this. I'm going to do this because it is not up to you. It is one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Up to the baby and how they want to come out and when they want to come out. You have, as the mother, have very little control on what's happening, even though it is your body. And I think that for a lot of people is really hard to understand. But for me going through my life, that is an idea that I've always lived by. I don't have control over what my body's going to do. You know, if it was up to me, I wouldn't have pressure.
Speaker 2: Wounds and all this stuff. But that is how she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's how I viewed pregnancy. And when my son's growth at thirty six weeks mark had dropped a little well, yeah, thirty six weeks pregnant had dropped a little bit.
Speaker 2: So my Obi, who was specialized.
Speaker 1: In high risk pregnancies, just in case anything was to happen, because again we didn't know how my body would I handle the pregnancy.
Speaker 2: Turns out handled it really well.
Speaker 1: They's growth dropped a little bit, and Mybi, you know, after a week and we reached the thirty seven mark, she said, you know, today's the day because we don't want to risk anything happening going forward, and the longer we wait, the more risk of emergencies. And yeah, yeah, And that was, you know, a definitely decision that my husband and I were happy with. That's why we consulted her. And we had the choice between an induction or a C section. But going into this, I was like, I do not want a see section because I don't want to operating theater.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I want to have vaginal and birth and all that. And then she said, you know the risk of giving his size and turns out the umbilical cord and my persenta wasn't doing what exactly like it kind of had its life. It stopped, you know, given as much nutrients stars in news, which happens in a lot of pregnancies. She said, just given that, you know the risk of emergency section if I go through a.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what's the word, Oh my god, my mental blank?
Speaker 1: Sorry if I get injuiced, sorry, So, if I get injuice, the risk of an emergency is really high. And then I was like, well, I don't want to go through an emergency C section. If I can avoid it, let's go through you know, an elective. I say elective with quote marks around it, because it's it was a you have to decide right now, yes, but like way out the risks, but it has to be done today. So I did choose to but in an ideal world I probably wouldn't have.
Speaker 3: But but like you said, the babies made the choice.
Speaker 1: Exactly and we had the most wonderful birth. And honestly, c sections are amazing. I know a lot of people struggle, but a lot of people struggle with vaginal births as well.
Speaker 4: So I think I've had a c sections, by the way, one emergency and then three such.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people who have, you know, had obviously c sections after emergency ones, and I think they are it's you know, it's very fun because you don't realize how quick it happens, and unlike you know, vaginal that can last, you know, twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: It's true, they're outed like, yeah, four minutes, So.
Speaker 4: Joseph would have been Frankie when they were stitching, you un't yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then how was your moment when you met Frankie?
Speaker 2: It was very surreal.
Speaker 1: I think we'd had four hours to prepare ourselves that we're having Frankie that day, and Joseph's aunt was getting married the next day, and so it was like we were like canceling, like we were pulling out of the wedding. We were like, we can't come anymore, like all this stuff was happening. And then when I saw Frankie, it was it was beautiful. I mean it was you know, because you know, having had a c section, you're you know, you're kind of tied up a little bit, and yeah, it's still a bit numb, so I think that was a bit awkward. But it also was a first time mum, so I didn't know how to hold him and all of that. But it was beautiful. And as soon as I was out of the operating theater and you know, all stitched up, it was, you know, just pure joy. I remember I did not sleep at all that night. He was born in the late afternoon, and I just was staring at him the entire night because I was just like, how.
Speaker 2: Are you real? Like how are you an actual person? Now?
Speaker 1: It was beautiful and he was and is still such a great baby. So we really lucked out.
Speaker 4: When you so during your pregnancy was when you'd started really with your social media that had kind of taken off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's happened all very quickly, all very unexpectedly. I just thought, you know, going into my career, I always knew I had this connection to that greater media, and I knew there was a lot of good that could be done through you know, speaking my truth. When I went into social media at that point, I didn't realize how fast it would take off.
Speaker 2: And I also didn't really have a plan. I kind of just went with it, rolled with it.
Speaker 1: And it worked out really well. I loved it. And then Frankie came and I didn't get a Matt leave. I worked, you know, I was working. You know, that was contact contact due the week he was born. I did an interview the day before he was born.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: And you know, something to note in Australia's we don't have a creator's fund or anything in Instagram or TikTok, So you're not generating and come through doing all of this stuff unless you're doing paid gigs and that. So you know, you're continuously having to work in order to get those paid gigs and.
Speaker 4: Have do brand alignments and whatever. Yes, yeah, because even if you're getting five million reviews that's not monetized.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, And so that's really you know, I am very fortunate to be in the content creator industry and the world, but you know that is a challenge obviously when you have a very little time on your hands, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, you are put in a lot of work into it.
Speaker 1: So that was you know, I just kind of ran with it when he was born, and you know, loved a lot of the opportunities that came my way, and I did some brand deals that I really got value from and I loved and had for the what I was promoting, what I was doing. And then a friend who I hadn't heard from in a while message maybeing like, oh, I'm so sorry about all these comments on that video you posted, and I have my notifications turned off. I don't look at comments. I'm like, you know, people are going to say what they want to say. And the comments were just so judgmental, and I couldn't even believe that people would think or feel that way.
Speaker 3: And in relation to you being a mother, or in relation to.
Speaker 1: It's controversial topic, but feeding my newborn child, so being expressbanding versus formula.
Speaker 2: At the time, I was talking about pumping.
Speaker 1: And they're mout of backlash I got and I was like, okay, I don't do not in any way agree with this, but I knew there would be some backlash with formula, but with.
Speaker 2: Pumping, I was just like, whoa. It was just crazy. And that really.
Speaker 1: Affected me because I was like, if people people are reading this and like, what if that changes someone's person like a new mother's perspective on pumping, or what if someone gets into that, well, I can't pump. That's a terrible thing to do, and which is not It is an incredible thing. And the fact that we have the technology in order to assist with, you know, motherhood in that way, if that's something you decided to, like you decide to.
Speaker 2: Go down, it is wonderful. And then I was just getting all these comments and I just was like, why am I doing this? Like what you know? What am I getting out?
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people who came to mine and.
Speaker 4: Mother's defense, but nonetheless fought back. You've been exposed to this, yes, yeah, okay, energy that he is not one that you would invite into your.
Speaker 1: Life, yes, exactly. Yeah, And then that kind of set me down. A spiral where I got burnt out.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't I lost the love for social media and content creating. I don't expose my son's face on social media, and I wanted to keep you know, aspects of his life private. And at that period of my life, my life was motherhood and was franky, and you know, I found it hard to differentiate between that and my content.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I just got burned out.
Speaker 1: I didn't like what the comments were saying, and I just thought, you know, what is this, what's the point?
Speaker 2: So I just delete. I didn't even say goodbye post. I just lead at the app for a year, taken a year of yeah, exactly a.
Speaker 4: Year actually, which was crazy, and what happened in that year that's a very yeah, that's a very interesting experiment.
Speaker 3: In times, it was so relaxing.
Speaker 1: And in the first three months I completely did not have social media, and then I would bring it back for one day and then delete the app again.
Speaker 2: And you know, I took it really easy.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, unfortunately, in the world of social media, I did feel like I was missing out on certain aspects of life and news.
Speaker 2: So I, you know, slowly.
Speaker 1: Brought it back and then I haven't gone back to TikTok, I haven't downloaded TikTok. I've left that world. I found TikTok is great, but it is there's not as much from a content creator's perspective, not as much loyalty.
Speaker 2: As there is on Instagram, just from my own and so I never really.
Speaker 1: Loved TikTok as much as I liked working on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Just just said to my husband one day, like, I think I'm going to go back, And he said, I knew this was going to come.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yes, yes, because I.
Speaker 3: What did he noticed?
Speaker 4: Had he noticed a difference in you? Without social media?
Speaker 2: I had more time, That's for sure. I was definitely less stressed. I would.
Speaker 1: You know, it got to the point where I was so stressed to make content that when it came to making it, I couldn't actually make it because I was so stressed.
Speaker 3: Right that any creativity has gone yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was such a perfection So I was like, well, anything I create, it's not going to be good enough. And that's you know, that fear paralyzed me. Uh And I know so many people feel that in any industry, So in that time, I did actually take a returnity the leave of sorts, and it was very fun, very free, and then some really exciting opportunities and work came up outside of social media, and that's how I got started on hosting a podcast with the Sydney Childn's Hospital.
Speaker 3: Network, right the Kid's Health Kid's Health Explained.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is a really cool project and I was honored to be invited to host. And there's some you know, I did some keynotes and got some other projects under the way that will be announced hopefully later in the year or early next year. But it just gave me time to work on projects that I probably couldn't have considered with my actual statement at the time.
Speaker 4: But did you notice you said that you had a lot more time and it was relaxing, and I know you've spoken before about anxiety issues. Did you notice a difference in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: I mean I was living every moment prior thinking well I need to make this content.
Speaker 4: And the production of the content or was it also the that loop that feed.
Speaker 2: I think it was the loop, and.
Speaker 1: It was just the fact that I couldn't differentiate what was my life and what was my job, and you know, obviously being a content creator, those two mixed together and you are sharing your life on social media. But I couldn't feel like I didn't know where the line was, and I just wanted to live life for once without having to share it with the world. And I was able to do that, and it was just I just got to be present and do things. And I remember just one day making a banana bread and thinking, Wow, if I had done this before, I would be stressed that I didn't make it into content, something as simple as that. So going now, going back into content, I'm a lot kinder on myself. I am, you know, if I don't make something into contact, that is okay. I have a very clear divide now now that my son is in daycare two days a week, I'm able to, you know, say, all my work I'm going to do on those days. I don't worry unless it's you know, the odd job here and there that I can integrate into my life with Frankie.
Speaker 2: I really have that clear divide now.
Speaker 3: Which is nice when you.
Speaker 4: Are doing your podcast, when you're talking to parents who have ill kids on your podcast, Yeah, how is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we haven't done parents just yet. Where the first season one is just focused on talking to clinicians. We want it to be very clear with the first season that it's you know, health advice coming from the professionals themselves, you know, with scientific evidence backing up there alims.
Speaker 2: And everything they had to say.
Speaker 1: It was interesting though, going into the hospital to film because they are you know, both rand With Children's Hospital Westby Children's Hospital have new buildings and they both have these recording studios. When I say recording studios, it's a small room with a two couches and we bring our own microphone, so it's nothing crazy, but they have these little spaces in them. So I walk into the hospital and I see all these parents with their kids, and I know to an extent what they're going through. And it's so interesting because I never wanting to feel pity, but I do.
Speaker 2: I won't say I feel pity.
Speaker 1: For them, but I do feel this sadness for them. But then I have to remind myself, you know, there is hope within sadness. There is good times within that, and there is you know, in a children's hospital there can be so much beauty. And something I often talk about my keynote speeches is people often expect me to always like talk about pain and my suffering and all that when it comes to my hospital experiences.
Speaker 2: But what I remember is the.
Speaker 1: People, the clown doctors, the starlight room, the music therapists. They had these volunteer dogs that would come, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, there's so much doctor Johnny, Yeah, doctor Johnny.
Speaker 1: There's so much positive energy and laughter and love in a children's hospital.
Speaker 2: Can't say the same for an adult hospital as much.
Speaker 1: It is definitely a little bit more clinical, but it's there is so much love in a Chlom's hospital.
Speaker 2: And I try and remember that when I walk in those rooms.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of loving.
Speaker 4: You thanks, You've you've packed a lot in, You've jumped out of planets, you've moved to London.
Speaker 3: You know, you've toppled out, if you will, chair got.
Speaker 1: Back up again multiple times, multiple times.
Speaker 4: But when you're working through your alphabet list of you know what you want to do in life, and like you said, this one life, is there anything that you're working towards now or that is that's kind of there even in an abstract sense, that you want to action?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean there are so many I'm you know, only twenty five is a lot more to do. I think my biggest goal in life, and I think the reason I do what I do and hope to achieve in a greater sense someday is I want to educate people who don't have a disability about what life is like living with a disability. There's a stigma that when you have a disability, you're not able to do a bunch of things, or you know, people look down on you, both physically and.
Speaker 2: Both mentally and literally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I really hope that by sharing my truth and my version of reality, it shows that we're not people to be pitied or ashamed to ask questions about. You know, I see parents, you know, these little kids are say what happened to her? Their parents show them away, and it just to be curious. Yeah, exactly, It's normal for kids to ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask questions, because that's not teaching them that this is a part of normal life. Anyone, at any point of time, no matter where you come from, what you do, or who you are, you can fall into the disability minority group at any point, and most of the time is out of your control. So I want to try and educate people that if they or someone they love falls into this category, they are both mentally and physically prepared to deal with life situations and hopefully make the best decisions because of it.
Speaker 4: You know, you say you talk about how disability is regarded. Was it an issue when you were falling in love? Did Joseph have people that were concerned about his going in with you?
Speaker 1: His family actually has a very long line of disability support workers, so yeah, really both his mum, his aunt, and his grandma were all disability support workers, so in very high need facilities, so.
Speaker 2: They had He grew up with this, you know, being familiar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a really wonderful understanding of you know, disability doesn't define you, and you know, there is so much good out there if you have a disability. So that was never an issue. I think even a lot of my friends, that was never something that concerned them. I think one of the greatest things my friends have told me, and I resolously asked the question, like, what's one of the most inclusive things you've seen recently that has you know, brought happiness to you and that's been a good thing. And one of them was my friends just saying something as simple as if I hadn't known you, I probably wouldn't have noticed that. But now I see the world through the eyes of someone who could have a disability. So they might see two steps leading up to the place and think, you know, I might not be with them, but they think.
Speaker 2: That's not disabled.
Speaker 1: So, you know, I indirectly have you know, changed the way in which my friends see the world through an accessible man. So I think that's really powerful because the end of the day, a lot of the world's inaccessible. If the people who make the decisions on how things are made accessible or not actually view the view it through a person of a disability lens, can I be more accessible?
Speaker 4: Do you sometimes feel fatigued at being the person that has to answer the questions how do you preserve your you know, life force?
Speaker 1: I think, Look, there's lots of different types of advocacy out in the world. I am not one of those people to lead a march. I completely admire and support the people who do, so my kind of advocacy is more I try and as I mentioned, try and change people's perspectives little by little. I guess what fatigues me is, you know, there's just the little things. It's the tiny minuscule things that could be so easily fixed that you know, even if you ask to be fixed, is so miniscule that it won't be fixed. That's what tires me is that when there's it almost feels like there's no point in asking.
Speaker 2: Because it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Like what little things, Just something even as simple as like cracks in the pavement where a wheelchair and can confirm has happened, like someone can tip out of their wheelchair, or when you're crossing the road and there's a little lip or you know. I went to the opera house the other night, and thankfully I was wearing my prosthetics as well.
Speaker 2: I was in my wheelchair. There are steps to the car park lift, and.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there was another lift that was more accessible, but the lift I went to had stairs to it. Something as it was like the post office near where I live has I think, four steps to get up. Instead of putting a ramp, they've got an electric lift that a takes forever and is always broken. Yeah yeah, but you know I can call up and say this lift is broken.
Speaker 2: Put a rampant. They're not going to do that. They're going to be like, no, we've got.
Speaker 3: A lift and also you've got other stuff to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. So it's this I'm sick and tired of accessibility and people with disability has been that tick box, you know, tick, we've done it, tick, we've made it accessible. Tick We've included a person with a disability or something to that extent, and that been it. It's just you know, a mark on a box to say we're inclusive, and it doesn't go beyond that.
Speaker 4: Well, this sort of advocacy, as you seed, everyone does it differently.
Speaker 3: I think this is very valuable.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you. I hope so.
Speaker 1: And I know you know there's a long way to go. We've come a long way in the world, but you know there's always.
Speaker 2: More to do.
Speaker 4: You've come a long way. Sure, it's quite remarkable how you share yourself with just such grace and happiness. That's really beautiful. Do you consider yourself Sophie Delezio? And I think I know the answer to this. Do you consider yourself a lucky person or an unlucky person?
Speaker 2: Oh? Lucky.
Speaker 1: People always ask me like, if you could go back and change it, would you No way? Because everything in my life. Everything that's happened, the good, the bad, ugly, has brought me to this moment today, and I love my life. You know, bad things are always going to happen. That is go like, there's no denying that. No one could live life without a single bad thing happening to them.
Speaker 2: That's just not real.
Speaker 1: But what you can control is what you do after the bad thing happens, how you view the world that you live in, how you treat people, what you do with your kindness and the love that you have to give. That's what you can control. Current control the bad stuff. So that's how I try and view life. Bad things are going to happen. It might be someone doing it, it might be just life doing it to you.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we do it to ourselves exactly.
Speaker 1: Sometimes a lot of the time, unfortunately we do it to ourselves. But we can choose to live life with kindness, and that's how I try and live life.
Speaker 3: You're a beautiful girl.
Speaker 4: That's very great, very happy to see you and very happy for you to have joined us on No Filter.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me, and I wish you.
Speaker 3: Every good fortune.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That was Sophie de Lezio. What stayed with me since we spoke. Is how deliberately Sophie has built her own definition of herself, not the girl from the headlines, but a wife, a mother, and now someone using everything she's been true to help other families navigate their own hard moments. Sophie's new podcast, Kid's Health Explained, made with the Sydney Children's Hospital Network, is out now wherever.
Speaker 3: You get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you follow No Filter wherever you're listening, and Mamma Mia subscribers get to hear it first. Every episode of No Filter drops two full days before regular listening, exclusive for subscribers. Plus, you get access to subscriber exclusive episodes across the Mumma Mea Network. Tap the link in the show notes and become a Mumma Mea subscriber. Today, I'm your host, Kate Langbrook. Thanks for listening to No Filter