Speaker 1: Five year old Haley and seven year old Laura Jane are happily playing with toys at Bluemoor Family Daycare in Bateman's Bay on the New South Wales south coast. It's a center that offers overnight services to parents and takes kids up to fourteen years old. It's pretty remote, run from the family property of the only carer there, David Tuck. He's a jovial man in his thirties, charismatic and approachable, and Haley and Lj's parents feel comfortable leaving their kids in his home, but within hours Tuck will start grooming them. They realize he has some pretty unusual rules, like an open door policy for the toilets and no underwear whilst sleeping. The girls also quickly realize that every night someone sleeps in the big bed with him. Soon it's there to and at first they think it's special to be chosen lucky. It takes just one night for them to realize the truth. I'm Jemma Bath and you're listening to True Crime Conversations, a podcast exploring the world's most notorious crimes by speaking to the people who know the most about them. A warning this episode does involve discussion about child sexual abuse and suicide. Please take care while listening. For years, parents trusted David Tuck to look after their children at his family day care service in Bateman's Bay. It's only now decades later that the extent of his horrific abuse is being revealed, earning him the title of one of Australia's worst pedophiles. He was aged between thirty two and thirty seven when he ran the center. Between nineteen ninety four and nineteen ninety nine, it's believed he had more than fifty five victims. He also had access to children across his career, running school holiday camps in youth detention, as a gymnastics instructor, as a school bus driver for intellectually disabled children, and as a career for intellectually disabled children. He lived and worked across not just New South Wales, but Victoria, Queensland, the Act and South Australia. The true extent of his victims is unknown, partly because he died in two thousand and one, just as police were starting to catch.
Speaker 2: Up to him.
Speaker 1: This isn't just a story about Tuck and his crimes. It's also about the failure of local authorities to take allegations seriously. Our guests today are currently in court with Urubadalla Local Council trying to hold them to account for allowing him to operate in the first place and for so long. The other big glaring failures is the fact David Tuck's name was suppressed and shrouded in silence for years. That was changed in twenty twenty five thanks to legal blocks overcome by journalists and victims advocate Nina Fanel and news dot com do Au. Laura Jane and Hailey were just two of TUX victims. This is their story. LJ. Hailey. Thank you for joining me on True Crime Conversations. You told your story publicly for the first time just last year. Can you tell us about why and how you made that decision and what it's been like since sharing your story.
Speaker 3: We made the decision to come forward in the media because we had not been able to say our abusa's name for over twenty years. He and I had many discussions about the fact that he'd never been named publicly in the media, and we decided that it was time we wanted to reclaim our story, and part of that was naming him, not just for us, but for all of his survivors, so that they'd never have to they'd never have to type his name into a Google search, and nothing came up.
Speaker 1: To even be able to say his name. He had to go to court, didn't you.
Speaker 3: We didn't that there was some historical suppression orders which were lost, I guess in decades of no one speaking out. But the journalist that we worked with, Nina Fannel, was able to navigate that and realize that, you know, they were no longer in place.
Speaker 1: What has it meant to be able to say the name David Tuck publicly? That made the difference that you were hoping being able to say his name?
Speaker 2: Definitely. I think since we did our first article around twelve months ago, we've connected with numerous other victim survivors. And this is not just from the childcare and the experience that we had, but previous victim survivors of his as well. And I think that's huge for LJ and I growing up. I mean, I know myself definitely tried to at least read about or understand my own story and understand if there were others involved, and it was not possible. So I think the closure that's hopefully given to others who maybe don't want to speak out themselves, but at least can understand that they're not alone and there are others that are supporting them and understand what happened with the childcare, what happened with him committing suicide. These are all things that unless you remained in this or with a connection in that small town, that information just was not available to the wider community or to the remainder of his victims.
Speaker 1: Why why was none of that online?
Speaker 3: As far as we can tell, and I guess from speaking to Chris Graham, who was the editor of the local newspaper at the time, is that essentially the council played a significant role in ensuring that his name wasn't mentioned in the paper and he wasn't publicly identified. As to why, I can't tell you exactly, but I can tell you that it caused a lot of harm, and it meant that many victim survivors, potentially up until last year, didn't even know that he was dead.
Speaker 1: There's not even photos, is there. There's not like a recognizable photo of him.
Speaker 3: That photo that you see in the newspaper is a photo that I happened to stumble across in my not even my mother, my grandmother's photo appens and it's just one random photo with him in the background. And we've not only us but our current affair and Nina Fanel searched high and low, and we have still not been able to locate a.
Speaker 4: Photo of him.
Speaker 1: To explain to listeners, it's a photo of LJ in the foreground and then in the background there's a boat and he's in it and it's not even his face. It's kind of the back of hitting and almost a side profile, but you can't see anything.
Speaker 3: He's literally in the background as far as you can go, Like, he's just a tiny little like blur on a boat.
Speaker 1: Really, and that's the only photo you can find.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and let's put it this way. We are aware of close family friends. We are aware of family members that we personally as well as others assisting us, have reached out to directly that will not share photos of him. The police department will not release any mugshots of him. Now he was charged with crime, so yeah, there must be mugshots that exist. There is a large group of people still protecting his identity for some reason to this day, the.
Speaker 1: Mind boggles as to why we are protecting this person.
Speaker 2: And I think it's just there's no understanding maybe from the families, as to why we need this picture now. But you know, I guess to make it clear, not every one of his victim survivors will have known his name or his full name. Now putting that image out there, and we know that he abused children as young as two years old. Now that putting his face out there and connecting it with his name once again gives every one of his victims that opportunity to go, oh, my goodness, that is the man. That is the man that harmed me, and they can then from their understand it, you know he is dead. We have named him and identified him. It's just I think for us that really big missing piece of the puzzle, calling everyone what this guy looks like.
Speaker 3: He had a victim survivor reach out and she told me that every year around the same time she would do a search. She didn't have like a name, she just had a few key identifiers, and every year she would try and find out details. And then because the first article came out, she was able to do her annual search and have a name.
Speaker 1: Wow, and a lot of this.
Speaker 2: Was for me.
Speaker 4: That's what it was like.
Speaker 3: When I was eighteen, I went back to Bateman's Bay to try and find an information to meet with other victim survivors.
Speaker 4: It was from there that I was.
Speaker 3: Able to get like newspaper clippings and start to understand the extent one of the abuse and the amount of victims, but two just how hidden this had all been.
Speaker 4: And like the.
Speaker 3: By him not being named and there being no photos and no discussions, this sort of just disappeared. He just disappeared from the face of the earth. And no, I've had survivors that have come forward that are as old as my parents. So he's been doing this a really long time. And that's why, you know, ultimately his name being the media is so important because even if those people don't come forward, they might have a tiny sense of closure. I know that there is indeed people out there fighting for justice for all of David Tuck's victim survivors.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the start and tell your story. When did you both start going to this daycare and how much care were you in. Were you there multiple days a week, multiple nights a week, what did the care kind of.
Speaker 3: Look like I was seven, so I was quite a lot. My mum was a shift worker, so I spent a lot of time there after school, before school, on the weekends and in the evenings.
Speaker 1: And do you remember what it looked like, what the property looked like, what the house looked like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I remember, like I was there yesterday, And also when I've made trips back to Bateman's Bay, I've driven out to the property just to make sure it was real. But yeah, I could remember exactly what it was like to walk up to the front stairs, where the rooms were, where the bathroom was, the backyard looked like. And I think the thing that stuck with me and Haley and I have had this conversation is just how small it was. Last year, Hailey was able to find some photos on real estate dot Com of the property.
Speaker 4: And it was just so small.
Speaker 3: And it's crazy to me that any type of regulatory body walked into that place and said this is a suitable place for twelve twelve or more children.
Speaker 1: Twelve or more kids, that's how many were there at a time.
Speaker 2: Well, this is I guess. Part of the information we've now have to find out is he wasn't meant to have that many children there at any one time. But any person who was attending the center, whether a parent or somebody that was doing checks or you know, the children themselves, knew that on quite a number of occasions, he was frequently over the allowable numbers of children he was meant to have in his care. And you know, even the property itself, the house was tiny, you know, one single bathroom, two very small rooms, not enough beds for the children that were staying overnight, but also a very large dam that was completely unfenced on the property that at least one child that I know of, fell into, thankfully was pulled out without any harm. But to Lj's point, the property itself was not something that should ever have been approved to allow children in a care facility to be attending. It wasn't a safe property, let alone the man running it being a safe person.
Speaker 1: Do you remember on the surface when you first went was it was their activities? What was the pool?
Speaker 4: For me?
Speaker 3: I had gone to a couple of different primary schools and Batemans based, so there were kids I went to school with, and you know, like there were familiar faces. There were so many kids. The yard was big, there were toys, there was TV. We could watch whatever movies we wanted.
Speaker 4: I remember we would.
Speaker 3: Watch like Titanic and ah, there was another movie can Greece, you know, And I didn't have a VCR at home, So being able to sit and watch those things that have access to things that I might not have had was a big pool, you know. And it's not like back then, you know, center daycare was really unaffordable, and family daycare was always a preferred option, particularly in small towns. So when you walked in and you've seen all of these other kids, people that you know, children that you recognized, there was no reason to think, even for a moment that it was unsafe.
Speaker 2: And it was a necessity, I guess. You know, for most all families there was low income families with multiple children typically and they were working, so you know, similar to LJ would be shift working or you know, hospitality workers that needed that extended hours care that was being offered rather than your standard after school care, you know, and your sort of daytime childcare that was that was the necessity for both most families that were attending the.
Speaker 1: Center, which even nowadays is hard to find to find kind of affordable childcare for evenings and weekends and those kinds of hours. You know, it is hard to find in Australia.
Speaker 4: Basically non existent.
Speaker 3: I mean my partner and I were looking at, you know, getting a baby setter for a night out, you know, to go to the movies or at shel or dinner and three hundred dollars, you.
Speaker 1: Know, three hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: You know, you're getting a private nanny or you're getting a private person who's charging him thirty forty dollars an hour. So if it's not affordable now, it absolutely was not affordable then. So anywhere that offered after hours care that you could use a childcare rebate for, you know, of course people are going to use that service. He was also well regarded in the community. He was registered with the council. When you look at some of the flyers and things like that, you know it was promoted as this really safe, family friendly, inclusive space for children.
Speaker 1: Did the grooming start pretty quickly For.
Speaker 3: Me, it was instantaneously from the first time I ever walked in that place.
Speaker 1: After the break, LJ and Hailey share what the overnight childcare center was like and how they felt when they first arrived there as children, What did it look like? What was the first time you walked into that place?
Speaker 3: Like there was lots of affection, lots of toys, lots of you're so special, I'm so glad you're here. You know, identifying I guess vulnerabilities and then being able to like weaponize that vulnerability against you. Particularly I say, there was any like issues at home or you know, if there was like poverty or anything like that, he was really able to fill those gaps and create that trust. And because there were so many kids, you know, when you see like another kid sitting on his lap, it wasn't like it was just a normalized behavior. And you know what I reflect on now is that he didn't just groom the kids. He groomed to the parents because it was like, oh, come in for that cup of tea or like, you know, it became very friendly, almost like a community within itself.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me about the odd rules that he had and he enforced.
Speaker 2: On the kids. Yeah, he had some rules, which I mean we've actually found in writing since our investigations started, some being for parents that they had to knock before entering, had to allow time. Now, if you compare that to a modern facility for childcare. I mean, you want to walk in and collect your child, you walk in and collect your child. But in terms of rules there was for the children, and these were of course kept from the parents, but you weren't meant to wear underwear to bed. There essentially was a child each night that would sleep in his bed. And you know what I mean, Yeah, they're probably the most significant ones.
Speaker 3: Normally too, Like for me, you know, I'd be getting dropped to school and he'd be like, oh, you look really sick.
Speaker 4: You have to stay home.
Speaker 3: And that was a common encourage as well for children, like there does always be one sick kid that had to stay home, particularly if they're of school age.
Speaker 2: We have access to some correspondence between organizations government organizations that was raising that as an issue between the organizations, and he was given warnings essentially that that wasn't appropriate behavior. Nothing further was addressed or done by counsel when they were made aware that the government funded childcare was having children sleep in his bed. I mean, you would think that's an immediate reason to shut down the center. Yeah, And that in the end was not even the reason that he was shut down for In the end, he was shut down for fraud, and that meant he was then allowed to move to a different state and continue essentially, you know, exposing himself to children. I at that point was harmed again because our parents were never notified that, hey, these allegations that have been raised. You know, he called my parents and said, well, you know, listen, I've stopped doing the child care for something to do with fraud. And then we went to go and have a visit, which it's like, had he had my family been notified, obviously at that point you cut ties, but no families were given that opportunity because you know, my opinion, it was swept under the rug.
Speaker 1: How soon after you both started going did the abuse start?
Speaker 4: Mine was in like the second or third time that I attended Hayley.
Speaker 1: Do you remember because you were so young?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was only five years old when I started at the center, and it was the first time that I was chosen to sleep in the bed essentially, which was again fairly immediate to starting at the center.
Speaker 1: And then the abuse in terms of frequency once he had started, was it every time you guys went for me?
Speaker 2: It was very often. As l J said, it's you know, it's almost like he picked a child he got to pick, you know, So it was definitely very frequent, particularly when most children were attending the center three or four times a week, it would be at least once a week.
Speaker 1: Do either of you or both of you remember how it made you feel.
Speaker 4: I don't think I knew what was happening, but I knew it was wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I.
Speaker 3: Also realized it was happening to other children, so that I was confused about whether or not it was normal. Obviously there are you know, physical responses such as like pain and comfortability, all of those things. But for me, I just don't think I knew what was happening other than I didn't want it to happen.
Speaker 4: And you know, he was.
Speaker 3: Good at the manipulation, I guess, or ensuring that you didn't tell, and he himself normalized the behavior, maybing like I love you so much, this is what love is. You're my favorite, all of that kind of typical sex offender behavior.
Speaker 1: Were are their threats involved? How did he kind of keep this up without.
Speaker 3: I'm part of a bigger sibling group, So he was like, you know, if you tell anyone, like your mom's going to get in trouble, and then you'll like get taken away from her and you won't see your siblings again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean for me it was small. You're going to get in trouble. You know this is because you do if you feel like it's your fault or like you know it's something wrong, you don't know how to express it, or you don't really understand what's going on. But when you're told this is your fault, you're bad. You're going to get in trouble if you tell anyone, you know at five years old. That obviously puts a lot of pressure on a child and causes a lot of confusion. So ultimately, yeah, you just stay quiet because you don't know. We don't have the ability to sort of weigh up the risks or understand that.
Speaker 4: The language Like I wouldn't have known what to say anyway.
Speaker 1: And even in the nineties, I mean I'm a nineties baby too, we weren't really taught consent as a kid and our bodies being ours or any of that kind of language that we use now.
Speaker 3: I think the best was like that life that you know, that giraffe. I think I learned some stuff from there.
Speaker 1: Healthy Herald Ye healthy, Harold.
Speaker 4: I think that was the best I got, really, not.
Speaker 2: One understanding what's going on and two not understanding where there's safe people. You can tell. That's something that has really improved over time. I mean, it's you know, we can still do better. But definitely, as a child, like you said, in the nineties, you were told to do what adults said you did, and if an adult said you can't tell anyone this, and you're going to be in big trouble, particularly when you come from a home that maybe isn't as loving and supportive, then you absolutely don't want to get in trouble, so you don't tell anyone.
Speaker 1: Did either of you try and tell anyone? Try and talk to your parents.
Speaker 4: I thought about it.
Speaker 2: I do remember sort of one occasion where, you know, I was so close to disclosing. It was on the tip of my tongue. And unfortunately at the time, you know, the person I was trying to disclose to was really busy, and you know, sort of by the time I got their attention, they were a bit snappy of like, you know, what is it, I'm in the middle of something, and then you know, I just withdrew and couldn't get it out of my mouth. But that was a very distinct memory that I have because it was at the point where I needed it to stop.
Speaker 4: My situation is pretty similar.
Speaker 3: I remember sitting at the kitchen table and I had gotten in trouble for something, maybe at school, and I remember my mom being like, you know, what is wrong with you? Kind of thing, and I was so close to saying something, but I remember just like hearing his voice in my head, you know, basically being like, you'll lose everything and it'll be your fault.
Speaker 4: So I just didn't say it.
Speaker 1: You think, because were there signs that, you know, in hindsight, your parents, if they had been looking, might have noticed socially kind of mentally behaviorally that you guys were doing that that kind of showed what was happening one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I look back now and think, you know, I was a very withdrawn chriald that was very emotionally underdeveloped. I would say, so even sort of in your later primary years would sulk, let's say, or you know, we called it sulking. I could never appropriately express express emotions. It would be you know, something's happened and I didn't like and I would just completely withdraw. Things like bed wedding was very consistent, you know, well beyond the years that it was age appropriate, and you know, sexualized behavior. I think, you know, these are all really really bit indicators that again with education and understanding what they look like, one hundred percent, they were there. But of course, you know, we were not in situations where our parents were familiar with those signs.
Speaker 3: I spent a lot of time struggling at school, to fights at school, not being able to maintain friendships. I also left school in year nine as a result of the abuse that I experienced. But you know, I think even up until he committed suicide, I think there are lots of behaviors that.
Speaker 4: If we were to look at it now, would have raised concerns or should have raised concerns.
Speaker 1: How long did the abuse go for? How long were you attending this daycare?
Speaker 4: The last was abuse bake around was eleven I think eleven or twelve. I think eleven, probably four years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a long time to be enduring.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Hailey that you know, he got eventually shut down from fraud, but there were also a number of assault allegations while you were there that didn't get him shut down. Weren't there exactly right? And I think a lot more education needs to happen with the public in terms of what the process is when a child makes an allegation and the huge gap required to actually criminally charge and convict that person. I think there's a really big misconception that if someone is charged but not convicted, that they're innocent. And David Tuck had allegations against him and charges against him before he ever even opened the childcare center, and he was not convicted of those. And we can tell you right now well as we know who the original accuser was, that that one hundred percent happened, and had that child been believed and had he been criminally charged, you're talking dozens of children would have been protected from this man. So I think a really key point is we need to believe children, and we need to understand that not getting a conviction does not mean that they didn't commit the crime when we're talking about child predators, you know, because unfortunately, expecting a you know, five, six, seven, eight year old child to sit on a stand and give the amount of testimony needed for criminal conviction is just, you know, it's too much really to burden any child with and.
Speaker 3: We really need to reevaluate how the system marx now. And I think that you know, a lot of people read our story and go, well, that was then, but some of these things, particularly what Hayley you say, are not much different now. It's still harder than people think to have someone convicted of child sexual abuse, and the the victim.
Speaker 4: The harder it is.
Speaker 3: They're relying on things like medical evidence and other forms of evidence that isn't always possible to collect. And you know, I think it stands like children don't lie about being abused. This irrelevance is so unrelevant that it's not even worth mentioning. They might be confused or misidentify who, but their children don't lie about being abused.
Speaker 1: He went to trial for the charges you're talking about in nineteen ninety one, so it was ten counts of child abuse against an eleven year old girl, found not guilty. And then by nineteen ninety four he had a daycare, so that means he passed police checks working with children checks. When you found that out that this man had these charges and then went on to abuse you in this setting, how did that feel?
Speaker 2: I mean, it makes you angry, of course, and I think that's a huge part of why LJ and I started speaking publicly about this and why we genuinely want to make changes in how people think about pedophile. So who they think a pedophile is, because someone this significant can slip through the cracks and just reoffend and reoffend. You know, you've got to say, Okay, there must have been signs, and we're telling you, yeah, there was plenty of signs, but no individual took responsibility for putting up those flags. You know, it's very much turn a blind eye, and a lot of people think, oh, well that was the nineties and this is now. As LJ said, well, we've had three major childcare sexual abuse cases in the last handful of years. This is exactly the same and they use the exact same tactics. Move states so they're not traceable. You know, as soon as there's a complaint, move shift, and you know, it's a lot easier for childcare services to move someone along then raise the red flags. And really, in the end, it's everyone's trying to protect their own business or themselves and it's not the right way to go about it. I mean, protecting the children should be the number one priority.
Speaker 3: And whilst there wasn't working with children check cards that look the way they look today, back then there were still required checks, there were still police checks, there were still reviews that needed to be done in order to have someone be allowed to work with children. And we need to ask, you know, for our case, what happened?
Speaker 4: How has this missed?
Speaker 3: But also acknowledged that in current day when we look at those three particular cases within the childcare sector, all of those people have working with children's checks.
Speaker 4: So where is the gap there?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm of the opinion all of working with children's check only works if you've been caught for something, Right, If you've never been caught, how are the people that you work with looking at behavior, looking at concerns, looking at gut feelings, and what are they doing about that? You know? One of the things that we've been advocating for is required training so that when people get a work and with children's check they have to do training. And some people say, oh, well, what's training going to do. It's not about stopping the perpetrator. It's about the people working in these spaces having the ability to know the language, know what to look out for, know how to report and have the confidence so that they can report. Because it's not like it's not just about like catching the predator one on one. It's about child child prevention and the prevention of child sexual abuse being an everyone problem and then everyone issue, and we all have a role to play.
Speaker 1: In that, because it's almost like that working with children Check would lull parents into this false sense of security, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: It's like LJ said, before even looking for a private nanny or a private babysitter first, seeing most parents are asking for as a working with Children's Check. My opinion, it's not worth the paper it's written on. You can go online and you can apply for working with Children's Check and provided haven't been criminally charged, you can have one. Now, to get your driver's license, you need to do a test. To get your responsible service of alcohol, you have to do a test. Why is it we are putting children in the care of somebody who has no form of qualification. Essentially the only requirement is they haven't been caught doing something wrong. I think that's the biggest issue is understanding that working with Children Check does not make them a safe person. And there are multiple other things you need to be looking out for.
Speaker 1: I'm confused how Tuck got a working with children check if he did have charges. Is it because he was found not guilty?
Speaker 3: So it's ugly to be honest to actually unclear. There was some change in legislation in the early nineties that sort of looked similar to like the modern day spent conviction schemes. I don't know enough to speak on it, but I understand that there was some legislation change which may have allowed him somehow to slip through the gap. But at the end of the day, it's not good enough. I mean, like they weren't. It wasn't like he did a break an enter of something. No accused of abusing children. He should never ever been put in a position where he was working with children. And unfortunately the daycare isn't the only role that he had after those charges occurred.
Speaker 1: Because he worked with children across his whole career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I used detention, worked with children with disabilities, worked at a hospital, he was a bus driver, he was a Scouts leader, So his entire adult life he worked with children.
Speaker 1: The last figure I saw was that there were potentially fifty five victims. Do you think that there could be more than that.
Speaker 4: Well, that's just of the child that's the that's just the childcare number that's assumed. But I would say there were would be hundreds of victims.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. If you think the fifty five is over a four or five year time frame, and he was in his forties when he committed suicide. We know the earliest that we've been able to track that he offended was at seventeen years old. It's hundreds, It's hundreds and hundreds of victims. And this brings us back to this is why we want to get his photo out there, not just his name. This is why we are putting this photo out there is so that every one of those victims who did try and speak up and weren't believed, and we know of numerous of them that they know, they're believed now and they are supported and really that you know, like this guy was a really, really horrible person.
Speaker 1: Up next, LJ and Haley discuss how they discovered their abuser had died and whether it changed how they felt about getting justice. As you've mentioned, he died by suicide in two thousand and one, and he died while on bail four child abuse charges, so he was actually finally facing around you know, a dozen charges and then he died. Did you guys know about that? When did you find out about that?
Speaker 3: I found out my mom got a que I didn't live in Batemans Bay anymore. I lived in Camera and my mom got a call from someone in community who knew that we'd attended that daycare, and then she asked, and eventually I disclosed what had happened. But she didn't get any call from the police or the council or anyone. And when I went back to Bateman's Bay at eighteen or nineteen, I was clearly named as a victim, and you know, it was it was a lot to sit there and see my name as an identified victim and know that no wholehearted that no one called her. And like I said, I've got a big sibling group. So at any point in time, like she deserved a phone call, you know, she deserved the police to knock on her door and say, hey, this is what's happened, and your child's been named. But you know that the responsibility was put on her and to get like a random phone call, I can't imagine what that would have been like for her, for any parent, and from what I gather, like this is a lot of how parents found out was through community, not through formal contact with agencies.
Speaker 1: I'm confused as to why the police wouldn't have continued to investigate, because even if he died, there are victims here.
Speaker 2: Oh exactly. And that is something that has really enraged us since I found out, which I think was around six or seven years ago that I realized, and this was through contact with LJ, that he was never publicly named. And we found that out through newspaper articles which essentially said we've been told we can't name this man. And you know, ironically, within the same article it says any victims that come forward can have counseling, and you know, we're offering all of these services. Okay, well that's fantastic. At that time, I was around eight or nine years old. How was I knowing who I was contacting or you know, I don't read the newspaper. My family was not in Batement's Bay anymore, which meant they were not reading the newspaper where it was published. So at what point were they genuinely actually offering services and support to the families? It seems like a very empty offer when you say, we're not going to tell you the perpetrator's name, we're not going to tell you any information about him, but if you were his victim, please come and tell us and we'll support you. I mean, excuse my French, but what a load of shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And again like it looks at that like the illness and responsibility on children to get help for abuse when it was something that was done to them by adults, and there are adults are responsibility, had a responsibility to protect them.
Speaker 2: And it's not a situation of well, we don't know who the perpetrator was or we don't know who had contact with him. This was a registered childcare center where parents were receiving the childcare subsidy for their children attending, which means the council and the other state organizations had a very clear list of children that had had contact with the known predator. So at that point, whether or not they knew that all of these children had been exposed to abuse, they knew that they were at a very high risk of it, and they still chose to not contact the families directly and offer that support.
Speaker 1: Is that illegal as far as you know, it should be it's not.
Speaker 3: It's just it should be illegal and it's unethical. You know, we could talk about like ethics and morals because they certainly were not considered at that time. Yeah, and we can't even say, like, I think it's really important to be here. This is nothing about the time because there was legislation in place, there were rules in place. Organizations both state and nationally knew about institutional child sexual abuse. It wasn't like they'd never heard of this thing before it was documented.
Speaker 4: They knew.
Speaker 3: There were processes that could have been followed. There were things that could have been done, and they weren't done for whatever is it.
Speaker 1: Well, Nina Fanell, who you mentioned earlier you wrote your original article with, she mentioned that the decision, you know, it goes further than that. They decided not to reach out to schools, to local councilors, to places where other children were to try and spread the word, you know, help victims, support the community. Like that's a very Yeah, it goes further than just not ringing the list of names on the childcare.
Speaker 2: And the question, I guess so that is who benefited from that? Because victims didn't benefit the family's impacted didn't benefit. There was only one person at that point, I mean, the perpetrators dead, so it didn't you know, there was no risks there of naming the wrong person at this point. There is only one group of people that benefited. And you know, really it was completely the wrong thing to do, and what it meant was so many victims have had not had the opportunity to access support and heal from this experience when they could have, you know, in early childhood, when really that offer of support would have been so much more significant than now as adults, where we're here trying to fight for our own justice, spending six seven years in a court case, trying to fight for accountability. I mean, we shouldn't have to.
Speaker 4: As a victim survivors.
Speaker 3: Something that I've really struggled with throughout my whole life is wondering who I could have been had not only had this had not happened, but had I got the support needed. You know, my life would have been infinitely easier and I would have been able to have opportunities, My trajectory, my ability to function the world would have been so much different. Because I know now from my own professional experiencing that recovery and healing starts with safe places to have conversations and to talk about it and have you know, even if it's not justice, but some sort of accountability and acknowledgment that it happened.
Speaker 4: And without having him named, most of us never.
Speaker 3: Got that, and then we had to move through the world alone, in our great ef and in our pain without even being able to google this man to find out if it was really I can't tell you the amount of times and I thought did I just make this up?
Speaker 4: Like is this not a real thing?
Speaker 3: And it wasn't until I found other victims, survivors that I was like, no, actually this really happened.
Speaker 4: Because you can google.
Speaker 3: Sex offenders from like the sixties and their names come up, but David's didn't come up, not even so much as like a anythink anyway?
Speaker 1: Can you expand on what you mean for both of you, on how this abuse and this the trauma that followed affected you into your teenage years and adulthood and how it kind of shaped your experiences for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean I left school in year nine.
Speaker 3: I have struggled with I struggled with substance you use well into my twenties I've struggled with suicidality and self harm. I've chronic social anxiety. All of my study I've done now like I'm lucky. I've turned my life around. I'm an academic now, but I had to go. I went back to union in my thirties. I now A you know, I've struggled with relationships with my family. I've experienced intimate intimate partner violence and these all of these things can be like deeply linked into the experiences of child sexual abuse and not being able to access support. It's really hard to move on with your life if you have nowhere to go and you don't know how to ask for help. You don't even know how to name what's happened to you. And you know, when we think about, like we started the conversation thinking about words like consent, a really good way to not understand concern is if you've never had it, and so then there's risks of being like revictimized, experiencing further abuse in multiple different settings. And that has been my experience really up and up until I was in my twenties and met my husband. And that's a long time to suffer, I.
Speaker 2: You know, and A lot of the similar experiences to LJ. But another massive impact for me, and it's I think one that we're slowly learning more about but it's still not talked about often, is I've developed an autoimmune disease which when you go back and you look at the statistics, is heavily linked to early childhood trauma, to significant stress. Now it has progressed a point now in my life at thirty four years old where it's attacking my bones and you know, I need constant, monthly treatment that is very hard to access, that is not continual and is not always effective. And essentially, at some point where this disease progresses, the patient can end up in a wheelchair and lose mobility. And that's a very serious issue. And that is worst case state scenario. Yes, but there are Like I said, I'm young. I'm very much on the younger end of people that should be suffering to the severity that I have this autoimmune and it is not something that I will ever recover from. And of course that within itself, you know, with the anxiety depression I already have from the abuse, on top of dealing with you know, the physical manifestation of that. It's really significant.
Speaker 4: People, So don't talk about how this impacts parenting. No, I'm super hyper vigilant. You know, my children aren't really allowed out of my sight.
Speaker 3: You know, like I'm super protective of them, and they're really good things to have. But being hyper vigilant all the time is not good for your immune system, it's not good for your mental health, it's not good for your sleep. It has lasting impacts. And no one wants to walk around the world being like, are you one of them?
Speaker 1: I know that you're both moms, you also have kids, highly how did you both kind of approach the idea of childcare for your kids? Because I can imagine that would have been a very triggering idea to conceptualize.
Speaker 2: Oh and it still is. It's still the constant balance of trying to be a career mum but also not leave your children in the care of anybody is a constant daily struggle. And you know, my older child is at the age where they want sleepovers and it's something that I'm sorry but we just don't allow. And you know, they want to be able to go on school camp. I have allowed that, but the anxiety that I felt and had to I was pretty much incapacitated for the three days and probably even a few days after, because yeah, it's just this constant fear that you can't protect your children, and also you can't spot a pedophile, and it only takes a short amount of time for someone to take advantage of your child.
Speaker 4: I've spent twelve years working.
Speaker 3: In the sort of social work sector research now, but I worked in worked with families in child protection, so I really this is like encompassed to my whole identity in life, because I am fearful for my children, but fearful for other people's children. I remember when I first enrolled my older daughter into childcare, I was like, I don't want to see working with children checks. I want to know when people got there, police checks done, you know, like I was a really heavy handed, I guess you would say. On the on the daycas that she went to, I really struggled if there was any male.
Speaker 4: Childcare workers enough.
Speaker 3: Not that there's anything wrong with male childcare workers, but due to lived experience, you're always a little bit more worried. And like Hayley, when my daughter went on camp, I gave her my Apple Watch, which is you're not allowed to do but I was like, I need to know that if she is not okay, she can call us, and then I just call the school all the time, which you know for her is not ideal, but you know, we're also not allowed to know not allowing sleepovers. I heavily monitor technology and these are really good protective things, and I would encourage parents to make sure they do their education and have knowledge and have understanding. But it takes a toll on you as a parent because it's this is no way to be And even though we should all be aware of these things, when you're a victims survivor of abuse and you have children, it's something that you're thinking about all the time, especially as they hit the ages you were when you first started being abused, or any slight changes in behavior, you know, you're just that little bit more.
Speaker 4: Aware of risk.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got two children currently in daycare. I am not a victim survivor, and it's been something that's been on my mind multiple times, and I was hyper vigilant while trying to pick a childcare because, as you said, the amount of pedophiles that have been found in childcare settings today, last year, the year before, like in modern society is unbelievable, really, Oh.
Speaker 2: And that's why a massive part of what LJ and I are trying to do is an overhaul of all of these safeguards which were meant to be in place in the nineties and were in place but were not upheld, and that were in place when all of these more recent cases have come out. We have these case studies now they should be looked at and we should identify what these cracks are. And there's been promises made that things will change, but nothing's changed. There's no national Working with Children's Check. Huge step in the right direction doesn't solve things, but it stops a lot of those perpetrators when you look moved from state to state, and that is your first step in making that avoidable.
Speaker 1: So you're you're saying that the Working with Children Check is different in every state and territory, which allows kind of abuses to manipulate the system.
Speaker 3: If you have an allegation or a concerned raised against you in Queensland and the investigation only just starts, you can relocate to Melbourne, get a Working with Children's Check and it won't be automatically sent. And you know, the important thing to note here is I gave evidence in the Royal Commission into Institutionalized Sexual Abuse. One of the first and most important recommendations from that Royal Commission was a National Working with Children's Check and reform around working with Children's Check. The Royal Commission happened ten years ago. That still has not been implemented. And there are many recommendations over half from the Royal Commission that have not been implemented. And the Royal Commission looked at institutionalized sexual abuse over decades and the fact that these cases are still happening shows how important that reform was and it should have happened and it hasn't. And you know here in Victoria actually even West Melbourn where Joshuah Brown is located, and he was he's the most recent case around abuse in childcare.
Speaker 4: My daughter went to one of the daycarees he attended.
Speaker 3: Thank god nothing happened to her, but it hit our community really hard out here. And the Victorian government has moved towards creating a reform and a register, but.
Speaker 4: In my opinion it's too little, too late.
Speaker 3: Like these things have been known, they were clearly outlined in the Royal Commission and there's really no excuse good enough as to why this reform hasn't already happened. We know risk, it's clearly identified risk, and there's still no national working.
Speaker 4: With Children's check.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like that hard a thing that recommendation in particular to put in place. I'm confused as to why it hasn't been put in place.
Speaker 4: Are we need to ask the Prime Minister to that question?
Speaker 3: Because real there is really no excuse good enough. And I know that there are many organizations that are advocating for reforms, such as the National Center Fractional Child Sexual Abuse, Strange Childhood Foundation, Snake Like. There are many national organizations that have been advocating for reform for a really long time. And we're still here, still having to have this discussion, and all you have to google is child abuse in daycare. We've spoken about three cases here. There are many, many more spending over the last ten years alone. They just don't all make it to the TV.
Speaker 1: What does your advocacy for overhauling the system look like? I know that there's a petition that was started by Nina Fanel that's both of your faces. Is that helping or how are you guys trying to overhaul the system.
Speaker 3: We need twenty thousand signatures to be able to take this to the government. Nino is really driving us on the more logistical aspect of it. But if we do get twenty thousand signatures, we can start to open the doors to a discussion around what's needed in terms of reform around the working children's check and training. These are being advocated by multiple different victim survivors who are let down in various different settings due to this gap within working with children's check. So it's important to note like we are one of many people affocating for this, but it must start with government reform and ideally an inquiry, a national inquiry into the childcare sector. You know, we are seeing individual states do versions of inquiries, but we actually need a national response to this and remove the requirement of it being state by state, because that's half the reason we're here in the first place. You know, there are many nash Nor standards. This needs to be something that is prioritized. You know, on average, a working family spend twenty five thousand dollars to send their child to daycare, which is a requirement if you would like to work. We need to make sure that a child walks into a daycare and they are safe and no more like knee jerk reactions like in Victoria. Here we're talking about like no phones in daycares, no iPads, cameras. That's all great, a lot of centers have had those in place for a really long time. It's still not protecting kids. So there needs to be more done, and whatever is done, it needs to be the same everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's amazing what you're both doing fighting for the children of today. But in terms of justice in your own story, obviously your abuser is dead. What does justice there look like? Are you able to get it by doing this fight elsewhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think for myself at least, justice is a about accountability, and in this situation, we're looking to hold the party that licensed and oversaw David Tuck and failed to undertake the appropriate checks. And that's not just prior to him being licensed, but that is for all of the years that he was licensed that allegations were made. In the end, if we can at least hold the council accountable, it paves, I guess a way for other operators to see that they can be held accountable, because what we want to stop is the sweeping of under the rug. It is at the moment easier for a childcare service to move somebody on. They've faced the repercussions of identifi identifying a predator. So and a big part of what we're asking for is looking at and whether that's a financial punishment fine for not reporting. There needs to be very clear reporting guidelines that individual centers and operators need to follow, and if they don't follow, then they are then held accountable.
Speaker 3: And for me, I mean justice is a funny word because will we get justice, I don't know, but I would like accountability and I'd like there to be reform and I want all childcare workers and teachers and anyone who works with children not feel like they risk. There's a risk in reporting in terms of like will I lose my job? Will I get in trouble? You know what if I report and I'm wrong? Like there needs to be conversations to conversations that I had to make sure people feel empowered enough to report because this is what we need to happen, and then have those reports be acted upon. When you looked at the Joshua Brown case, which is the case in Western Melbourne.
Speaker 4: There are people who.
Speaker 3: Are like, I need something or I thought something was wrong, but I didn't say anything. Even when I've worked within this sector, I've spoken to child protection to child care work because we were like, oh, I had an inkling, but I didn't say anything, and then it turned out, you know, the child was being abused. We need to change that mentality. If you see something, say something. The bystander effect is hurting so many people, from women in domestic violence.
Speaker 4: To children who are being abused.
Speaker 3: We need to let go of that and if you see, if you even have a slight gut feeling, tell someone about it. Because children don't have the language or the ability to tell someone. That's our jobs as the adults. And then the other side of that is for parents and cares and teachers to have clear conversations with children about safety. I was recently in Zimbabwe. I'm working with a program that looks at the prevention of child sexual abuse. They spoke so clearly to children about the right terminology for body parts, about what is consent, what is abuse, in a really matter of fact way, and what they've seen is that those children had a much higher rate of disclosure to adults because they had the damn language, you know. In it's hard and parents are scared, But if your child is being sexually abused and they know what a penis is and a vagina is, they're way.
Speaker 4: More likely to disclose.
Speaker 3: And when they know that those aren't dirty words, that they're going to get in trouble for we as adults have to reconcile why why we're scared of saying those words, why we're scared of hearing them? Because that is, we can't stop child sexual abuses. I wish we could, but no one's sort of figured out that yet. But we can protect children having frank and honest conversations. And for me, maybe that's what justice is is a change in the way we communicate about abuse in general.
Speaker 1: Even just I can't help but think, Kaylee, when you're telling us about bed wedding. I've heard that numerous times now that child abuse survivors often show that sign. So it's like picking up on signs like that and using that as a conversation started with your child to then have those conversations and knowing these kinds of you know, like behavioral changes or things to pick up on to then start conversations with your kids.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of really good resources for parents to read and communicate to children's there's a lot of children's books that I use with my own children. But then there's also the education pieces for parents to understand and lookout for the signs. I think the missing piece is more around if you do suspect parents don't know where to go, and it's not so simple. And you know, the first time I was sat down and asked by my parent after this all came out, I said no, I was still too afraid and too confused to be able to disclose. So I think it's important to understand that not every child wants to tell a parent. Maybe they need professional or a more private setting. You can't rely on parents to be able to get this information out of children in the appropriate way either. But there's also not a very straightforward way to access the information or the steps to parents if they do suspect abuse. So that is really I think a missing piece.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see investment too into services for children and parents who have experienced child sexual abuse, so that when a child does come forward, parents known what to do, not just in terms of like reporting it to the police or child protection or the authorities, but also how to get help, how to help children recover and move through it, and how to help parents do the same, because it's not easy for anyone in that instance when abuse has been.
Speaker 4: Experienced, but you know.
Speaker 3: Without support services, the child ultimately continues to suffer lifelong pain.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that there could be hundreds of victims out there of David Tucks. You're both in your thirties. You know these are people in their thirties, potentially forties even older that might have never told anyone what happened to them. Do you have a message for them, Having only recently shared your own stories.
Speaker 4: We believe you. We believe you.
Speaker 1: Thank you to LJ and Hailey for joining us on this episode. You can sign their petition keep Kids Safe at the link in our show notes. They're calling for an overhaul of working with children chech schemes in Australia. Make sure you're following our show on Apple Podcasts and Spotify for updates on this story and all the stories we cover. Thanks so much for listening. I'll be back next week with another true crime Conversation.