Speaker 1: So much. You're listening to a Mamma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: Just letting you know that this episode discusses sex scene. So if you have little years around, maybe save this for when they're not from MoMA Maa. Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fix.
Speaker 1: I'm in Vernon and I'm Laura Brodnick coming on on the show today. It is Friday, so we're very sexy show for you. We do have popped off a very sexy scene that was released in britgetwn on Netflix last night. We're going to be talking about the sex scenes that changed TV in movies. It's gonna get raunchy, it's gonna get sad, and then we have Weekend Watch.
Speaker 2: But first we have insight into the upcoming Gladiator film. And by inside I mean photos of Paul Mescal looking very good with a cigarette in his mouth.
Speaker 1: That boy ever picture without a cigarette recently because there was a nowly Portman cigarette photo. There's the photos of him walking through London with a cigarette just like hanging out of his mouth. I know smoking is really bad for you, which is why you're not allowed to glimse it.
Speaker 2: Profess Marlborough, haven't jumped on there.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why it's smoking has been taken out of movies and TV shows, like there's rules around what you can show because it was overly glamorizing it and everyone wanted to have a sexy cigarette. And this is having the same effect on you because this morning you were look at his photos and m's like, I think I want to take up some moking.
Speaker 2: Do you think I want to take up smoking for the first time in my life as a twenty eight year old woman, which I won't because I have really bad ass.
Speaker 1: Mum. You know what's not sexy taking a puff of a cigarette and then like convulsing on the floor and coughs, because every time I've tried it, that's exactly what happens until someone takes it off. Well, there you go. Don't smoke kids. It's only sexy when Paul does it, not for the rest of us.
Speaker 2: So coming back to Gladiators, the film is a sequel to the original Gladiator that came out in the year two thousand, starring Russell Crowe. In Gladiator to Paul will be playing the grown up version of Lucis and The film also stars Denzel Washington and Pedro Pascal, who I feel like I didn't know about. I think they've been washed over by the Paul Mascal ness of it all.
Speaker 1: Oh I think we say you didn't know who Pedro Pascal was, and I was like, yeah, imagine i'd be That would be a fireable offense not knowing. So you're a big, poor fan? Is this because which of his work to you? I'm leading into something. I'm gonna yell at you about which of his past works do you most admire?
Speaker 2: Then? Because I haven't seen any.
Speaker 1: See, this is the thing, Like we've talked about Paul so many times.
Speaker 2: How can I tell me about to give me a lesson? You start off with, well, this is the thing.
Speaker 1: I'm trying not to be condescending to you. It's not about that. I'm just saying you're a massive fan of this man, but only from pictures of him, and like he's an okay looking guy, but his true sexyess comes from his role in normal people. That's why people are obsessed with him. If it wasn't for his on screen and off screen chemistry with Daisy ed Good Jones and normal people and how sexy he was.
Speaker 2: There was a whole.
Speaker 1: Instagram and social media accounts dedicated to the necklace he wore in that movie because people found it so sexy. And you skipped over all of that stuff, and your only liking him from photos and in photos, he's just another white, nondescript man walking around with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He's only sexy because of normal people.
Speaker 2: Will agree to disagree.
Speaker 1: A couple of even see normal people.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have the beard and normal people which are not on board with Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, I just feel like all about conversations about Paul, we've had so many.
Speaker 2: So many Well anyway, over the years. The Gladiator Too is apparently coming out later this year, and I think hopefully, since seeing these photos, a trailer is on the way. Stay tuned, I'll give you an update.
Speaker 1: So the second part of British In Season three came out last night.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched, no spoilers except for this one spoiler your back.
Speaker 1: Well, there's going to be a very mild spoiler here, but I think most people know that Part one ended with Colin and Penelope having a bit of sexy time in the carriage and getting engaged. So it should go without saying that this next part of their story has some sexy scenes in it, and there's one particular sex scene, not getting in any spoilery details, but the way it was shot I found really refreshing and just as realistic as a TV sex scene can be in a way, especially when it's in a show that's known for like this regency fantasy series, and like a lot of the time, the sex scenes are very much like a beautiful kiss and they fall into the bed and everyone's orgasming just by touching and you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Erl panned to a vase on the table, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's all very whimsical, which I think whimsicalness has a place. You can't be watching a realistic sex scene in.
Speaker 2: Every movie, watching it with your parents. Yeah, I'm grateful for the whimsical.
Speaker 1: But this I thought was done in a very sweet way because it's Penelope's first time having sex, and obviously the character of Colin is a lot more experienced and very very experience, and they talk about that in the sex scene, which I thought was interesting. Obviously is set hundreds of years ago, but it felt like a conversation you'd almost be having now in modern times about like there's a lot of consent in it, of him saying like I'm about to do this. Is this okay? Is this okay? They both ask each other like is it okay if I touchy there? Is it okay if I touchy here? And it doesn't take away from any of the sexiness of the scene, which I feel like is a big criticism A lot of the time when there's sex scenes without that sort of consent taught people like, oh, but that's so boring and it'll take away from the romance. But in this case, I thought it really added to it. You can kind of explained to her what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: I cannot help that I promised me should only be this first time.
Speaker 1: Just felt like exactly like two people having their first time together and her having like a bit of pain and discomfort when they first start having sex. And you know, it's still very kind of wrapped up in a bit of lush romance.
Speaker 2: But it's realistic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, as I was watching it, it got me thinking about how much sex scenes have changed on TV and in movies over the last couple of years. I feel, particularly in the last like five years or so, there's been a big change, But really it's been the last decade where the way they're filmed, what they're allowed to show, the conversations around them have changed. So we wanted to talk through a few of our little favorite pop culture altering sex scene moments.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I have one that is probably the first sex scene I've watched as a teenage girl that I was like, oh my god, this is exactly how I felt when I had sex for the first time. It was in the film The Spectacular Now I've seen it, Yes, yes, it stars Miles Teller and Shalne Woodley, and it's kind of like a coming of age, first relationship, teenage drama, I want to say so. Shalleene plays Amy, who has her first boyfriend, which is Mars Teller, great boyfriend to have, and their sex scene was just so real and raw, like there wasn't any music. It was in I think her parents' house, in her bedroom in the middle of the day, which is I feel like how most teenagers have sex for the first time and they're just like giggling and then they're like clumsily like taking their clothes off, and he's like asking if like she's okay, and you can tell like she's a bit of pain or like discomfort at first, and then she gets really into it, and I'm so glad they didn't show her like climaxing, which I feel like they've always showed when I was younger in those kind of movies. And then they just have it once and then they like wake up in the middle of the nine and they just like start talking, and I'm like, this is what it's all about. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I do like sometimes when you see these very over dramatized, very fancy like sex scenes, because that's kind of what we look for movies too. We look to them for these very elevated moments. But I think if that's all you're seeing, it can make it a bit difficult. Like for some reason, so many movies I watched, I guess it was like the early two thousands and nineties when I was a kid, and so they were like no Wars and no one was watching Bluey or watching like pretty Women, dirty Dancing, all that sort of stuff. So many sex scenes there, and you know, even all like rom comsad sex scenes and stuff, and you would always just see this like very passionate kissing and they'd fall into bed and they'd be under the covers, and like I didn't know what they were doing under there, but I thought you just kind of rolled around, and that's that was kind of sex. And like you also see women like orgasman really intently, just from like the moment a man touches them on the bed. You know, That's why people had so much criticism around like the idea of you. The criticism came from you in particular about women orgasming like so quickly and making that seem like a thing. But at least in the idea of you, it was through like not just penetration. But still I know that kind of fantasy element.
Speaker 2: And I also feel like with these like films like The Spectacular now it is for a younger audience, so they have that responsibility to be realistic because I do remember either when I was young, I'd either watch like the films that you were describing, like really whimsical, but also the complete opposite where it felt really scary. Like I remember Degrassy the Next Generation, and it made me so scared of sex. There's always these like horror scenes of girls suddenly getting pregnant or like girls in really like unfortunate positions, and it was just like I never got the in between.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Oh, the in between is such a hard thing to find exactly what you're saying is so important of and maybe it's almost why maybe now you're saying that it's putting words around why. I kind of liked Bridgington because it was that in between a little bit. This is gonna be uncomfortable and weird and it's gonna hurt, but also it's a little bit sexy and nice like that in between Exactly it is so nice. Well, I mean we're just getting started here, coming up next scene talk more sex. So really to think about my first example, because there's so many sex scenes that you know, in TV and movies and TV shows that I think have really changed the bar. But one I kept coming back to because it was the first time I was aware of this kind of conversation is Blue Valentine, which came out way back in two thousand and scene Valentine, Oh you should watch. I mean, it'll destroy your soul, but it's a beautiful movie, that old chestnut. So it's ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams together and it's about their relationship from like there's moments where they're really in love the moments where theyre having this this terrible breakup. But why that movie made headlines so much at the time despite the fact it was a bit of a sexy drama between Ryan Gosling Michelle Williams who everyone loves, is that there's a scene where Ryan Goslin's character Dean is performing oral sex on Michelle Williams's character Cindy. I never now that they're performing oral sex. That's like the way they say.
Speaker 2: In the movies.
Speaker 1: I never not the word I way to say it. You know what I'm talking. He's going down on her, He's going down on her. I'm saying that's the movie term they use performing oral sex. And because they shot this scene of his character, like there's a whole thing of him moving her underwear and like between her legs, and you can see the whole thing happening taking place, like they'd never moved the camera away. But it's also very centered on like her emotion and her pleasure and her reaction all that sort of stuff. And because of that one oral sex scene. Because it was on a woman and not on a man, it was deemed to be more inappropriate, more scandalous, like something that people couldn't see. And so the movie initially got an NC seventeen rating, which is just crazy because it just cuts out who can watch it, which cinema is it can be a distribution. It really threatened to like overturn this movie, and the production team and the actors all fought back against this rating because it was going to have such a negative effect on the movie. But also it was setting this that oral sex from a woman's perspective would always get you a higher rating than on a man, which is just crazy. So longs and not to make this about Ryan Gosling, because I think sometimes men just get so much praise for doing so little, but in his case, he did come in well. I think they pushed back again, said they eventually got given an R rating, and they were saying, like all these other movies had come out with all these sex scenes of like either women on women like Black Swan would get you a lower rating, or if it's oral sex being performed on a man, the rating would be lower. Ryan Gosling came out and was like giving all these interviews about it because he was trying to get it overturned, and he was saying, like, it's so crazy. He's like, I've been in so many movies, or I've seen so many movies where the oral sex scene is on a man, and I can't believe that because ours is reversed, it's been classified as pawn basically, whereas if it was a man would be art house cinema. So I remember watching that movie and having such a kind of a moment watching it, and now I look back and I'm like, oh, it's because I've never seen that on screen before, and I feel like it just was such a game changer.
Speaker 2: I have a bit of a funny one.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, we love funny sex. Thing should be funny as well. It should be funny, It should be all things.
Speaker 2: It is a TV show called Chewing Gum Love. It stars Mikayla Cole who plays Tracy, who's a twenty four year old and the entire TV show you've seen it right. TV show is about Tracy like wanting to lose her virginity, Like she wants to have sex so badly, and she wants to enter womanhood as she calls it, and like the build up of sex throughout the whole series is you think it's gonna be like this massive thing that's about to happen, and then she just kind of does it. Yeah, and it's really quick, and she like sings a song. I prepared a song, lassing it and during my dom, what will he find? It's the world of Adventure. It's the world of adventure. We are I smart, and then she cries. I think obviously the actual act of having sex is not that realistic for most people who have sex for the first time, Like I'm sure not a lot of people break out into song I but I think what is realistic is like when you're a young woman, you build it up so much and then it kind of just happens. And in the movies, I think they build it up and then it becomes this big thing, but chewing gum, they just made it happen like real and I was like, this is kind of cool, this is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Oh. My next example is kind of similar because it was the whole thing of just like it's a simple moment, but it becomes grain breaking because of how simple it is. And so I know, saying sex education. This conversation is a bit like, of course, like the whole point of that TV show was to change how we see sex scenes on TV, and they did, and they did. I just think that there's so many moments to call out. But as I was kind of going through and being like, which moment from the show really changed the game for sex scenes on TV? And I think it was the scene where you have George Robinson who played the character Isaac, and Emma McKay who played Maye, where he's in a wheelchair and he's a quadriplegic in real life, and they have that scene where it's interesting because it's wrapped up in like talks around like consent and like where we can touch each other and where we can sit, and also her asking him like, well, what can you actually do because of this disability? And then you have this really sexy scene that plays outs so hot in the way they did it with like cursing in his lap on the wheelchair and how it was mapped out. And I thought why that was so interesting is that usually any character with a disability, well, first of all, they don't really exist in TV and film, and like there's all these starts around like only three percent of fictional characters and scripted TV shows over the years have a disability, but they're usually in the background. They're like the tragic character, they're the side character. Al they're there to like give a bit of a moral compass the character like they never have, Yeah, they never have their own kind of love stories and sex scene. So kind of just seeing this sex scene play out and having it be like so hot and so.
Speaker 2: You know, the two main characters.
Speaker 1: But yeah, exactly, I just thought that was groundbreaking. He wasn't this moral compass where he was there like teach may of a lesson and make her better, Like he's jealous and he deletes, yeah, and all that sort of stuff. But every time I just was rewatching that clip before and I was like, God, this is hot, and this is exactly the kind of thing we need to see on TV.
Speaker 2: More So, I definitely know what I'm doing tonight, and it's not what you're thinking. It's watching bridgeton.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't want to get into your personal life.
Speaker 2: It's a weekend watch, a.
Speaker 1: Turn away from the sexiness. But you know, we need light and shade on this podcast. What I'm recommending for weekend Watch this week is a new eight episode drama limited series called Under the Bridge, based on a true crime story. I found it very difficult to watch, and I'm not usually a big fan of crime TV shows. I don't listen to any podcasts like that. But I love Lily Gladstone so much it kills the flower Moon was like wanting her to win an Oscar. So I was like, I'll just watch anything Lily's in. And it's Lily playing opposite Riley Keo who after Daisy Jones and the six I'm super on board with her as leading lady. So I did it for the I did it for my two girls, so I sat through it. So Under the Bridge is an adaptation of a book that came out in two thousand and five the same name. It's a non fiction and it was about the murder of a teenage girl in Canada in nineteen ninety seven called Reena Vik and it was a huge news story at the time. She was a fourteen year old Canadian girl who was killed by a group of teenagers in Canada and her hometown. These six teenage involved were all tried and convicted for their participation her death started this huge conversation about bullying in high schools and where it can lead and like teenagers being isolated. There were so many things around. It's just a horrific story. So this is a drama based on that. So Riley Keo plays Rebecca and she returns to her small childhood home in Canada where something horrific happened to her that's going to come out later. She's there to write a novel, and then Rena's disappearance happens, and Lily Gladstone plays Cam So she's a local police officer, so she's investigating what happened to this girl, and then Rebecca, who's there to write a book, starts infiltrating this group of teenagers who you know are trying to like hide what happened under the bridge, but also start telling her, and so it's kind of like a murder mystery. It's a little bit clunky in subparts, and it's super hard to watch. Like I would say, there's eight episodes out now if you're like me and you kind of need to just take a break, just watch one episode at a time. But they're very aware as they're telling it about how much it can be difficult to take someone's story and make it your own, and take someone's murder and how you retell that and how much dignity should people have us to death and all that sort of stuff, And then it's also just a bit of a dark murder mystery drama. So Under the Bridge on Disney Plus. The cast is amazing, the story is devastating, but I think it's worth watching.
Speaker 2: I also have a Disney Plus recommendation. It's called Queenie and it's also a limited series episode episode show. So it's a book adaptation of a Carti Williams novel. It stars Deon Brown who plays Jamaican British twenty six year old Queenie. She has just broken up with a boyfriend and she also You're gonna diet this. She's a social media assistant at a news publisher. Oh what, which is my first job? Among me? Like literally the exact same title, And I'd just gone through a breakup when I first started.
Speaker 1: This job should be called epily this show.
Speaker 2: So she's just broken up with a boyfriend and she's kind of navigating dating and casual sex for the first time, Like if you've ever done casual dating for the first time after being in a relationship. It kind of like becomes your entire life and you always prioritize it, and it kind of shows in real time, like the repercussions of her prioritizing dating over her job, over her family. Also entering this new life after being in a relationship and living with your boyfriend, she's forced to confront some unfavorable childhood memories that come to the surface as a result of all of that. It is so good and so wholesome, and she is so funny, like her family's hilarious, her friends are hilarious. It's like one of those shows where you're like, I don't know where this is going, and then at the end you're like, that was such a feel good show. So good.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't wait to watch your autobiography this weekend. I think of me the whole.
Speaker 2: Time we're shows. We'll take the same time. Thank you so much for listening to The Spill today. If you love listening to us, we would love it if you could please give us a five star rating review five stars only, please, five stars only. You can catch us back here in your feed at three pm on Monday. See here.
Speaker 1: Bye