Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to MoMA Mia out Loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Wednesday, the eleventh February. I'm Holly Wainwright, I'm Amelia Leicester, and I'm Jesse Stevens and we're going to get to the return of Amelia Lester in a second. Everybody, because the out loudest they are quick to panic.
Speaker 3: They are they.
Speaker 2: Someone in the out louders And they just wrote, Okay, where's Amelia? And the vibe of that particular comment to me was have you locked her?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Is she just too clever and you've decided that she's not allowed?
Speaker 1: Amelia was away. We'll get Twitter. But here's what else is on our agenda for today.
Speaker 2: I have got a very important scoreless gossip update that takes in everything from a cheating skier to Jen and Ben point twenty five and.
Speaker 1: To a post Super Bowl super breakup.
Speaker 4: Plus there is a true crime story which we can't look away from.
Speaker 3: And peniscape, plus Lindsay Vaughn, the woman who has divided sports spectators all over the world.
Speaker 2: But first, Amelia's been in America and we would like a quick vibe check from that nation.
Speaker 5: Yes, like Hailey Bieber.
Speaker 4: I just returned to Australia from America today. I was in ceat eighty one A on a Quantus flight from Dallas to Sydney, and I think she was in C eighty two B.
Speaker 3: Just behind you, just behind Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could have been in first class or she.
Speaker 1: Would have been flying.
Speaker 3: Do you think I think maybe? Isn't she a billionaire?
Speaker 2: She literally just landed one of her fancy glazing milks if she was going to go on her anyway, what's America like at the moment?
Speaker 4: It was interesting there was kind of two Americas that I saw because at first I was in Washington, DC, which is where I used to live, which is where I used to live, and Mia texted me while I was there, and she said, give me three words to describe it. And I thought about it and I wrote back, snow, despair, grit, A lot of snow, like a lot of snow, Like we're talking like walls of snow, which people in DC are not very used to. So for a start, everyone's feeling a little bit cold and a little bit miserable. And then a lot of people in DC are feeling despair because a lot of people in the nation's capital have lost their jobs thanks to Elon Musk and Donald Trump. And people are quite worried about the demolition of the White House East Wing and the upcoming demolition of potential demolition of the Kennedy Center, which is this beautiful building which is in recognition of John F.
Speaker 5: Kennedy.
Speaker 3: But are they running out to see milaniy other film?
Speaker 4: Oh look, the snow was the only thing stopping. But then I added grit because I felt like a lot of the Americans that I was talking to in Washington who are kind of like either in government or adjacent to government.
Speaker 5: A lot of them are journalists.
Speaker 4: There's a sense that, yeah, we're going through this very tumul to us time right now, but also life has to go on, and people are trying to think about the future and what sort of lessons might be learned from this period of American history. And there is this sense of resolve amongst a lot of the Americans that I spoke to there. And then the second part of my trip was a girl's trip. I went to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee, and they are famous for being the birthplace of Dolly Parton.
Speaker 3: Did you stay in a cabin in the woods?
Speaker 5: I did. I did see a cabin in the woods and I went horse riding.
Speaker 3: Did you see a bear?
Speaker 5: The bears a hibernating jesse.
Speaker 4: I learned this myself, I asked, and they just looked at me like I was very silly and foolish, because it is of course winter there, so I didn't see a bear, but it was really beautiful and nice, and also a reminder that in a lot of America, you know, you see these headlines about violence and protests and drama, but then in a lot of America, people are just kind of like proceeding with their lives and eating delicious food and not necessarily thinking about what's happening in Washington, DC.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you for that update.
Speaker 4: One thing that everyone was talking about and which I feel like I really need to talk about as a result, is that Savannah Guthrie's mother is missing. Now. I don't know if you've heard much about this case, but she is this American TV personality. She is a co host on the Today Show, so she's a morning TV host, and her beloved mother, who was eighty four years old.
Speaker 5: Has been missing since last Sunday.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I've seen headlines about this, and I've been confused. I've not been following it super closely. At first, I didn't understand if perhaps it was a case of a disappearance or maybe she had left willingly and they just couldn't find her. And then it looked like it was something more sinister. But then the FBI has kind of been going against what the family said.
Speaker 1: I'm so confused today.
Speaker 2: There's this awful video which everybody is talking about. But can I just go one step back, because I'd never to be honest, I'd never heard the name Savannah Gusrie before in my life, and I've seen Tori say.
Speaker 4: Who would she be like? She's like, everyone loves her, she's not political, she's got a lot of kind of credibility as a morning TV host.
Speaker 1: I think she'd be like a Natalie Barr.
Speaker 2: Like in Australia, Natalie Barr has been on Sunrise for decades. She's trusted, she's generally well liked. She's not controversial in any way, but people sort of feel like they know her. But she's not like an oversharer, but they'd feel like they had a parasocial relationship with her.
Speaker 4: One thing that's come out in this is that people have been saying that the thing about morning TV hosts is that you do feel like you know them, because look, she Savannah Guthrie. She's a former lawyer. She's a very serious journalist. She interviewed Donald Trump in twenty twenty. She was about to go to the Winter Olympics for NBC when all of this happened.
Speaker 1: She born in Australia.
Speaker 5: She was born in.
Speaker 4: Melbourne to American parents who are working here. But they're serious journalists who people nonetheless feel very warm and close to because they invite them into their living room's first thing in the morning.
Speaker 2: I think that's only traditionally how we felt about Australian breakfast TV people too. We've talked a lot lately about how that influence is waning a bit and so on, But yeah, you do, genuinely how the chemistry of how you feel about in this very there's an intimacy and a familiarity, but then I guess there's also like a contract that you know. I'm sure they show up amid you know, lots of life's up up and downs, but generally they're always smiling, like they're always there's a consistency to them being there and to just being chirpy in your morning.
Speaker 3: And it's quite in that way. It's almost like quite one note.
Speaker 4: And in this very polarized America which I just ascribed to you, a Savannah Guthrie is a figure who just about every American likes. I mean, you can name the Americans that every American likes now on practically one hand, Dolly part and Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 5: I think that's about it.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, bad bunny, but I love heard there are people him, some inexplicable people who don't like him anyway, Please continue.
Speaker 4: But the thing about this is even separate from Savannah Guthrie's fame, This is a uniquely horrible story. It is just the kind of true crime story that we thought that we had left way back in the nineteen eighties. People just are not getting kidnapped for arounsom anymore. So let me explain what happened. Savannah Guthrie is one of three kids. Their father died when they were quite young. Her mother, Nancy Guthrie, She is eighty four. Last Sunday, she was meant to be attending a streamed church service. The whole family is very religious with some friends, and she did not show up to the church service in the morning, so her friends called the police. They went around to her house, which is in Tucson, Arizona.
Speaker 5: It's kind of in the desert.
Speaker 4: It's just a matter of a few kilometers from Mexico. It's very far south in the US, and there was blood on the doorstep and she was not home. Now, the first reports, the ones that you probably saw Jesse, were kind of speculating, well, look, this woman is eighty four, is it possible that she wandered off? But then her family, including Savanna, were very quick to say no, this woman was exceptionally sound of mind. She did have some mobility issues, but there was no dementia involved here. This was someone who did not want to leave her house, and that the blood on the doorstep would seem to confirm that. There's basically been no leads since, which is a really long amount of time in a world where we think we're being tracked at all times, but no one knows.
Speaker 5: The FBI said that there's.
Speaker 4: No particular suspect or even person of interest they're looking at, but.
Speaker 2: Aren't they aren't there ransom demands or of some of those fake news.
Speaker 4: So the family has released two videos seemingly addressed to the kidnapper. There have been reports that ransom notes were sent to media outlets, including TMZ, but the ransom notes were not published by the media outlets.
Speaker 1: In these would be the way to handle that right here exactly. So that's like I was actually sort of impressing.
Speaker 4: For not publishing it. It has been reported that the ransom demand was six million US dollars to be paid in bitcoin.
Speaker 5: So in these two.
Speaker 4: Videos, which are really hard to watch, these three children sit on a sofa and they address this kidnapper from the ransom notes directly and they say to him or to her, to the kidnappers, we will pay.
Speaker 5: We really want our mother back.
Speaker 4: We will pay the ransom, but first we have to know you actually have our mother, because there's no way of knowing if these ransom notes are real. The latest development is the ransom notes were maybe not real, because Savannah Guthrie has released a video just speaking on her own and there's been a very distinct shift in tone. The ransom deadline has passed. Reporting as indicated that they did not pay the ransom, and she's no longer talking to the kidnapper. In fact, she's basically saying, we don't know anything. Please help us identify who this kidnapper is. Let's take a lesson.
Speaker 5: Hi there, everybody.
Speaker 6: I wanted to come on and just share a few thoughts as we enter into another week of the nightmare. I just want to say, first of all, thank you so much for all of the prayers and the love that we have felt, my sister and brother and I, and that our mom has felt.
Speaker 5: Because we believe that.
Speaker 6: Somehow, some way she is feeling these prayers and that God is lifting her even in this moment and in this darkest place. We believe our mom is still out there.
Speaker 5: We need your help.
Speaker 4: So a very distinct tone there of we don't know who kidnapped our mother. We're not talking about round some notes anymore. We just need some leads from the public.
Speaker 2: But then today this video from the doorbell camera that appears to be genuine, Yes, because Savannah Guthrie has shared it on her Instagram, and it is terrifying.
Speaker 3: And what does it show.
Speaker 4: It shows a man in a ski mask with what appears to be a gun in a holster walking up to Nancy Guthrie's home at around one thirty in the morning on the night that she went missing, and he he disarms the camera, and he also covers over perhaps another camera with some shrubbery because again she's sort of in the middle of the desert there. And then you really don't see anything of his face that the FBI has said maybe he has a mustache, but you can't really.
Speaker 5: See anything of him. And it's just.
Speaker 4: The most horrifying imagery. And clearly they've released this because this is my interpretation, but I don't think that the ransom notes were real because the deadline has passed, they didn't pay the ransom. We're not talking Savannah Guthrie's not talking about aroundsom anymore. And clearly the FBI and law enforcement has no idea who this person is, because that's why they've released this video so.
Speaker 5: Late in the piece.
Speaker 2: Other theories, I mean, I know, we don't know. Speculating is irresponsible, but I guess one of the reasons why it was always risky to go so public with this is the cranks like Asad though all those ransom notes, all the people who are going to jump this.
Speaker 4: Someone was in fact arrested for making hoax Ransomay, yeah, I can only imagine how devastating that would be.
Speaker 2: But are there any sort of credible theories about that this is related to celebrity and money, that it isn't that it's political, that it's like anything at all.
Speaker 4: There's no theories she was not a political figure. If the ransom notes aren't real, then why did someone do this? Jesse, I know that you used to host true crime conversations. Correct me if I'm wrong, But the idea of kidnapping someone for ransom really does feel like a relic, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, even kidnapping as a sort of criminal act. And then you go, is it just a coincidence that she happened to have an incredibly famous daughter or is that part of the strategy. And with any sort of missing person's case, the family will tell you that the public is your only asset, that's all you have, like having a platform. There are so many missing people. It's always shocking when you look at the statistics and most don't get the spotlight and you know, can't tell you the story of the person that they can't find for you know, years or decades. And so you understand why this family is using everything at their disposal to beg for someone to come forward, because that's often how these crimes are resolved, is that someone says, oh, I did see a strange car at one thirty am, going like whatever.
Speaker 1: It is, so to.
Speaker 5: Not even have a car, you're a lead of a car, you would just think. Well.
Speaker 4: Another thing that's really confounded detectives on this is that that part of Arizona is very dark at night because it's it's again the desert. There are actually rules about not having street lights because of the nature of the ecosystem around there. So I guess there's just no lighting, but I mean to not have security cameras from neighbors lots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 3: It's just it's completely bizarre.
Speaker 4: Obviously, this is a developing story, and in fact, as we were recording this, we just heard that law enforcement has detained someone for questioning.
Speaker 5: We very much.
Speaker 4: Hope that Nancy Guthrie will be found soon and will be keeping you updated on it.
Speaker 3: In a moment, Lindsey vonn the US athlete who has divided sports fans all over the world.
Speaker 7: Out louders this is me and I missed you, which is why I've decided this year to come back into your ears twice a week, every Tuesday and Thursday, exclusively for Muma Mea subscribers. And yesterday we had such a good talk about generational parenting and how Generation X parents are in fact the supreme generation.
Speaker 1: I actually don't know if that's true.
Speaker 5: But is it Boomers? Is it Gen X?
Speaker 1: Or is it millennials?
Speaker 7: Holly Jesse and I really really dug a bit deep into or in fact, this is going to make you feel old, Jens ed. They also have children now, who's at the top of the leaderboard? So many thoughts on this one. Many of them are even verging on coherent. So if you're not already a subscriber, follow the link in the show notes to get us in your ears five days a week.
Speaker 3: There is some confusion about penis injections at the Winter Olympics, and it's important we look very long, very hard.
Speaker 2: I saw these headlines everywhere on the weekend and I was very confused.
Speaker 1: I was like, what do penises have to do with skiing?
Speaker 2: I know that the I know the outfits are very tight. Are we all just a little bit outside?
Speaker 5: I was on a horse. I wasn't watching.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Well, so the Winter Olympics began last Friday, like it was.
Speaker 2: Starting with the basis, yes, yes, it's in Italy, you're wondering, Yes, northern Italy where it is.
Speaker 3: Snowing cold, and I, for one have no idea what's going on.
Speaker 5: I've tried to our sports correspondent. If you don't know, who, don't know?
Speaker 3: Amerely. I tried to turn it on and I was like, I don't know what the rules are. I don't know what we're trying to achieve. I assume landing on our feet and they're all I really.
Speaker 2: Like the figure skathing me too. It's my favorite because it's music. Yeah, good time, that's a bit of fun, right.
Speaker 3: But there's a lot of jumping, there's a lot of sledding. They look cold, and most things look very dangerous.
Speaker 1: Does look really dangerous?
Speaker 3: Winter Olympics more dangerous, which we'll get to. But the outline of a penis I understand.
Speaker 6: So the.
Speaker 2: Bad Bunny video take your Way after the Sea exactly. I promise to stop trying to inject him into every conversation, very.
Speaker 1: Please, that's your fault.
Speaker 3: There are allegations that have been made and the World Doping Organization is looking into it, and those allegations are that male athletes are enlarging their penises with hyaluronic aspects.
Speaker 4: So is this But I thought hyaluronic acid was a great moisturizing skin ingreedy.
Speaker 1: Some mons it's a plumper.
Speaker 5: It's so you.
Speaker 3: Can get it in a syringe and you can plump.
Speaker 2: Thad rumors that like not just scares, but quite a lot of chaps do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's about is it anchorism to balance?
Speaker 5: It hunts their balance?
Speaker 3: I know, would I would think, or keep it warm because it's cold.
Speaker 5: Perhaps, I don't know if that works.
Speaker 3: Six Wise, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubta.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It does increase girth, not necessarily length as far as like, but.
Speaker 5: I don't think athletes want to be girthy.
Speaker 1: Do Well, Well, there's science here. Science.
Speaker 3: Why is this an advantage? Is the question we're all asking. That is, because it affords you a larger ski suit, which can apparently generate a small amount of extra lift. I refuse to go into the maths because I don't understand. But apparently a suit that has three centimeters more fabric could see an athlete traveling five meters.
Speaker 5: This does not make any sense. You're making it up.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Apparently they have like to get fitted with their special suits for the ski jump. They get three D body scan. Every like millimeter of their body is taken into consideration to make sure that suit fits them perfectly and gives them no particular like flapping advantage. So if I think the theory is and there is some contention about whether or not this is true, you are right. I mean, in theory, if you have a larger package, your suit will be that little bit larger.
Speaker 4: Okay, but here's my issue. Birds don't have famously larger penises, do they, And they seem to have.
Speaker 3: A great flat flying they fly, I have wings, yeah right, yeah, maybe the penis is like a wing.
Speaker 1: I don't understand.
Speaker 3: I never did physix. But anyway, the doping agency has said that they yet to find hard proof and is taken the pis. They're having some fun to Holly, what has your intense research uncovered about whether or not you think they're enhanced penis?
Speaker 2: My vibe on this is like, sure, that's why you're getting the.
Speaker 1: Penis situations that's my vibe on this.
Speaker 2: It's definitely definitely about jumping a little bit further.
Speaker 5: To their elbows.
Speaker 1: We have all.
Speaker 2: Had about what goes on in the Olympic villages. A lot of good time, a lot of super hot, super fit, super healthy young people all rubbing up against each other. You can say it's for the flight advantage, and I will nod and smile and go okay.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, how offended would you be if you weren't accused? So what you want? Because they're going to go around and go, Holly, you're under investigation exactly, and then I'll go Amelia, you're actually fine, and you'll go, hang on. I would like to also be investigated, and so I think there's going to be some people who are very, very offended. Look, I think.
Speaker 4: Sometimes, do you remember when John Hamm came out so the mad charactor was accused of having a large penis accused and he said it was hurtful because it was all anyone wanted to talk about.
Speaker 5: So just show a little respect.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the Winter Olympics, the biggest story to come out of the game so far surrounds a forty one year old woman named Lindsay Vaughn. Did you guys know much about Lindsay von.
Speaker 1: No, But this story is great. Yeah, I mean it's not for her, it's not it's not terrible. It's really interesting.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting. So she's competing for the USA. She's forty one years old, and depending on where you sit, she's either a fearless hero embodying the Olympic spirit, or she is selfish and stupid and she robbed another athlete of an opportunity.
Speaker 2: I think that there is somewhere in the middle there, but that's not.
Speaker 4: Generally what that's opinion.
Speaker 3: You're allowed to have a right, Okay. Bit of background. Vonn has been competing for twenty four years. She is one of the most decorated alpine skiers in his street. And she actually retired for about six years and then decided to come back. This would be marking her is marking her fifth Olympics and always looking quite good for her. That was until one week ago, one week before the Olympics, she sustains a torn ACL.
Speaker 4: Now, just I obviously know what an acl is for the listeners, what is any and acl is sinornee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's to do with like turning left and right, like, it's to do with that.
Speaker 5: So we all have it.
Speaker 3: We all have one.
Speaker 2: A lot of football players get it. A lot of female soccer players get it a lot. They say women are more likely to get the men. It's agonizing. You need surgery and yeah, if your inhabilitation, that's one of those.
Speaker 1: You're usually out of action for months.
Speaker 3: You can see it on the face of an athlete when they know they've done their ACL because they're looking down the barrel at a really significant recovery. She also had a bone bruise, and for most athletes are going into our to downhill skiing, this would mean bowing out.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, well, I was gonna do it, youcause can't do it now.
Speaker 4: Because knees in addition to penis has seem important for skiing.
Speaker 3: They do is important exactly, but not Von. She was like, I'm not bowing out. I am competing. In two thousand and eight, Actually, Tiger Woods competed in the US Open with a torn ACL and stress fractures in his left leg.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, j it's golf.
Speaker 3: But I had to bring up Tiger Woods because he's her ex and I just thought that that was just I wanted to put it in, but I didn't want it to sound like that's the most interesting thing about her. But I know you wanted to know too. Okay, anyway, skiing is not golf, as established, but she had won twelve times in this exact spot in Cortina, and she was attempting to become the oldest alpine skier man or woman to win an Olympic medal. That dream was not realized, so thirteen seconds into her run, she experienced a devastating crash which ended in a broken leg, the same leg with the ruptured ACL, and you could hear her screams of pain on the broadcast.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is what I don't understand. Why is she at pains to tell us that that had nothing to do with the ACL.
Speaker 2: Because she doesn't want it to seem like she was really irris, like, so I'm going to compete no matter what. I've got a torn ACL and a bone bruise. But and all the doctors are like ah. In fact, she I saw some social media from her where she repeated it a doctor had said this isn't possible, you can't do it, and her vibe is like, thanks doc, just because you said it's impossible.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make it impossible. I will do it.
Speaker 3: So the people who go, you shouldn't have taken a spot because you were never match fit. She's trying to say what happened on that field could have happened to anyone, and experts tend to agree with her. They say that actually, it wasn't to do with her leg. It was to do with she clipped something as she went past, and it was to do with balance and blah blah blah. It could have happened to anyone. That's one theory. But she was ultimately airlifted from the course. Another American, Breezy Johnson, won the gold medal, but many say that that was eclipsed by Vonn's disastrous run. The question, therefore, is like whether she should have competed at all? Should she have competed riddled with injury? Is it hubris? Or is this what the Olympics is kind of all about? What do you think college?
Speaker 2: I think athletes are a very very different breed to the rest of us. I might be like, oh, I've got a saw leg, Damn, I have to sit around and watch Bridgeton and e chocolates like that might be my position. But I've interviewed several athletes, including this amazing woman, Australian woman called Lydia Lassila. Right, she was an aerial skier, so they're the skiers who do all the tricks in the air, and she was amazing. She became an aerial skier because she was a gymnast and then she had like a career ending injury in gymnastics and was told you compete again, so again, instead of sitting down and watching Telly with her chocolates, she went and retrained as like as an aerial skier to compete in the Olympics in that way. She had a baby and everyone said, well, no one ever comes back after having a baby to the same level of fitness and wins. She proved them all wrong. Now she's a commentator on Channel nine for this Winter Olympics. But I remember when I talked to her, I just remember thinking, this is a different species of person in a way. Yeah that this just since they were tiny. I think for a lot of professional athletes, this is the drive that has been embedded in them and they don't necessarily know how to divert from that, and that can be an enormous strength, but it can also be it could also really put blinkers on you. I mean, look at she was forty one, right, Lindsay Vaughn. And the other thing that's cruel about sport is it's a place where.
Speaker 1: Ageism is kind of justified.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily because your body slows down if you're super fit and depending on your sport and all those things, but because of the accumulated injuries. So you know, it's not necessarily that Lindsay Vonn at forty one wasn't as fit or anything, but she's had years and years of her legs being smashed up, She's had knee reconstruction.
Speaker 3: Her good knee is made of titan.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then you think about like a Tom Brady, you know who he retired, who's an American football player of much fame and adoration, and he retired, came back, retired, came back. He's like, I'm forty five, I'm still going to win the Super Bowl. I don't care, you know. I think there's just this drive and is it to be admired? I think is a question because sometimes I watch footballers say, oh, I played that whole ground final with a broken cheekbone, and I think, oh, I don't know if that's a good message. I don't know if I want kids to all think that, you know, so what, I've got a broken arm I play on or not. That's the dichotomy here. Is that a great thing for resilience, strengths, determination or is it kind of a super huge like not admitting that we are human and that we are weak and that we can sometimes have to change our plans.
Speaker 3: Well, it is broadly celebrated. The footballer who plays the Grand Final with the injuries. They look like they were sustained in a car accident. That is something that at the end you get the you know, player of the match thing and everyone applauds you and goes, wow, you're a gladiator and you were applaud that I suppose, but also it's like.
Speaker 1: Is it stupid?
Speaker 3: But then I was thinking about Simone Biles at the Olympics and when she got the twisties and that was when she you know, couldn't sense her body in space and she knew that competing would be dangerous and she went, I'm going to bow out because what I do is dangerous. Probably like not dissimilar to what vond does, and she got a.
Speaker 1: Lot of shit.
Speaker 3: A lot of people kind of went, you're a Twitter, You're a snowflake. What have we trained you for? What have we invested in if you can't just get up and do it.
Speaker 4: Although Naomi Orsaka said out of the Australian Open just recently, citing a particular issue with her body, which she didn't specify, and I don't think she got that kind of pushback.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 4: I read a quote from Lindsay where she said she tried to sort of universalize what she had done. She said, similar to ski racing, we take risks in life. We dream, we love, we jump, and sometimes we fall. Sometimes our hearts are broken. Sometimes we don't achieve the dreams we know we could have. But that is also the beauty of life. We can try. And I see what she's trying to do there, because I'm sure she's sensitive to the criticism that she's taking up a place that she's maybe even being physically reckless, and she's trying to say, but I'm doing this to show that you can always try, even if you fail.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't see a lot of myself or my life in this particular situation. I'm not necessarily buying this sort of analogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when you distill that down, it's like because I want to do you know what I mean? It's like, why are you competing with a broken knee and you know, a bone bruise and this and that and an acy like because I want to? And it's like in a way that level of individual ambition celebrated or not.
Speaker 3: That's the that isn't that it's certainly not that relatable relatable Who the hell is watching the Winter Olympics because it's relatable. I can't do anything. I look at snow when I break my nature like I am horrified, but I would never take any of us.
Speaker 1: I start crying, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: You get cold fingers, it's very painful. But looking at these athletes, you just go there is something about them. They're superhuman. And Lindsay Vaughn has been doing this for twenty years. She knows her body, her team knows her body, and I think I completely understand why she competed because she probably won't ever get that opportuity like that was probably her last I would say her last.
Speaker 5: Gee won't get.
Speaker 3: All those years like and there is something about showing up in the face of adversity, like I.
Speaker 4: Do you sedged by that idea that she's really just doing this thing to show all of us that you can achieve what you want to achieve, and even if you don't, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also that there's a stunning there's a bravery to it, and also that that people like Lindsay vonn feel pain and have a different relationship with their bodies to what any of us have, which is why we will never ski in the Olympics, Like she's.
Speaker 2: A But your excuse for not skinning the Olympics is because you've got a plate in your leg and you're pregnant with twins. I say soft, I say soft.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to bring this up. But so Lindsay von broke a leg. Yes, who got exactly the same injury as Lindsay you did. Yeah, so she fractured her tiber.
Speaker 1: And look at you out there on the scheme Bye.
Speaker 3: Tripped over a rock. Lindsay was doing something a little bit different. She now needs to get all her surgery. She's going to get the pull through her leg. Give me a call, Lindsey, I can I can counsel you through it. It's going to be a long recovery.
Speaker 1: So much in common.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm bringing the least important segment of to day.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought I brought penises.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, that was that wasn't very important, but maybe even less important than whether or not penises are essential ballast for ski jumping is some relationship gossip. Who doesn't like that? Okay, I've got some things to share with you. Are you ready for a start? Immediately after the Super Bowl, we all remember the Super Bowl except for Melia. An American didn't wrong Holly.
Speaker 4: Listeners should know that Holly has been grabbing me by the shoulders all morning, begging me to watch the.
Speaker 5: Bad Bunny halftime Show. I of course watched the Alternative halftime show.
Speaker 1: I came she came.
Speaker 2: Into that, and I was like, what's it feel like to be from the nation of Bad Bunny?
Speaker 1: She me like that, what's crazy? Anyway?
Speaker 2: There have been some brutal sport adjacent actually relationship stories. So Cardi b who is a very famous artist, she was dancing at the casino at Brand Bunny.
Speaker 1: She goes out with.
Speaker 2: One of the footballers who was playing on the day and he lost and she immediately unfollowed.
Speaker 1: Him, and I think that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have questions. Do we think something dramatic happened or do you think he's a loser and she couldn't wait.
Speaker 2: I think what had happened is Stephan Diggs, who was playing for the Patriots. They had probably already broken up, but she chose to wait till his lowest moment.
Speaker 4: She would have attempted to get back together if they won, so she was.
Speaker 2: Like loser on follow Everyone goes, oh my god, they've broken up. Kendall Jenner was dancing with our friend Haley b but she has just arrived in Australia, as discussed. But they were in the special box with your friends Kim Kardash Lewis Hamilton who went public at Super Bowl, and they were dancing holding hands, and I like to think that Haley was saying, it's right, Kendall, I know you used.
Speaker 1: To go out with bad buddy.
Speaker 2: Your mom will forgive you for having broken up with him, just as he becomes the most famous man in.
Speaker 1: The entire unit.
Speaker 3: So Kendall broke up with him.
Speaker 2: We don't know, Okay, they have been separated for a while, but it's the mixed feelings in that box would have been interesting, interesting, but particularly excellent. Right, it's a story that is coming out of the Winter Olympics, strangely enough.
Speaker 1: About a Norwegian by athlete. Now again, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: There must be lots of sports minded out louders who listen to us and just go what, I don't know what to No, Yeah.
Speaker 5: What is a bar?
Speaker 4: I thought it's.
Speaker 1: Two sports at the Winter Olympics.
Speaker 2: But so when I got seeing this by athlete, I'm like, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this is about this particular Norwegian skiing event where you ski cross country and you shoot.
Speaker 1: So this is what this chat, That's what I.
Speaker 5: Was doing in was.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to do my best with I'm not necessarily amazing on the Norwegian names. He's called Stuler home leg led right, and he won a bronze medal and the men's twenty kilometers event. And when he won, he made the after event press conference all about apologizing to his girlfriend who he had cheated on. Okay, so he said in front of all the cameras six months ago, I met the love of my life, the most beautiful and kindest person in the world. Three months ago. I made my biggest mistake and cheated on her. I told her about it a week ago. It's been the worst week of my life. I had a gold medal in my life and there are probably many who look at me with different eyes, but I only have eyes for her. Sport has come second these last few days. Yes, I wish I could share this with her. I do not want to say who it is. She's had enough to deal with after last week. But I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for us both and that she will continue to go.
Speaker 5: Stiller, I got words for you, Stiller.
Speaker 4: So you met the most beautiful, perfect woman of your whole life.
Speaker 5: And then three months took you. Three months you cheated on her.
Speaker 3: When you were meant to be busy training.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe Bruna go if he wasn't so busy cheating.
Speaker 2: Do you if you're the ex girlfriend? If this was a rom com right, and she would have watched that, she would be crying on the couch with her girlfriends watching that, and then she they'd be like.
Speaker 1: What are you going to do?
Speaker 5: And she'd be like, I think I have to give him another chance.
Speaker 3: I'd be mortified. I'd be so mortified. The press is going to be on your in a hot minute.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: He was like, I don't know if she's going to be watching, but she was clearly watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's clearly going to someone's going to send it to her and go have you seen this?
Speaker 1: What would you if?
Speaker 2: This is how we.
Speaker 1: How are we reacting?
Speaker 2: Like one week ago he told her that he cheated and they broke up, and now he's at the Olympics and he's not doing what would you change?
Speaker 4: He didn't even win God noted expert on what would you do?
Speaker 3: Nah, I wouldn't be taking him back. I'd be I'd be mortified by the whole thing. I think there are particular moments in your life where you've completely lost your mind and that man is in it, which is a shame because this was his one moment.
Speaker 1: I can do that to you. And though you.
Speaker 3: Needed to not make that about you cheating because that's irrelevant to your side.
Speaker 1: All your friends and everyone didn't know about the cheating part.
Speaker 5: It's so I just think the three months thing, mate.
Speaker 3: And then why did it take you another three months to tell her.
Speaker 2: He said that he hoped that that committing social suicide, which I think was him spilling all his guts in front of the camera, would help win her back.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I'd think so, Stella.
Speaker 2: But we're all going to be watching and I have one more yes, excellent bit of relationship gossip to bring and drop on the table before you for us to pick over our friends.
Speaker 1: And Ben.
Speaker 5: Holy, you need to move on.
Speaker 2: They have been seen together many times lately. They were photographed holding hands together walking into Jimmy Kimmel a few weeks ago. There are been lots of signings on page six. They've been going around New York holding hands, kissing.
Speaker 1: They may be back together. How do we feel.
Speaker 3: Has Matt Damon not been through enough? That poor man is sitting there going, Ben's calling him. In fact, Ben's on the phone to him speaking and Ben's going, when's he gonna bring it up? And Matt's like, I'm not, I'm actually not. I can't take that on anymore. And his wife is going, we are done. We are done with Jennifer.
Speaker 2: I know. One of the best comments on the gossip post about it was just someone saying, imagine how pissed off their friends.
Speaker 1: Because we all know that couple, right, We're just like, no, should we get back together? No, we should not get back together.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, I would like to get a letter from Emmanuel mccrono. This is a thing that is happening, right, I know, But I am too old, literally too old to do that, because the French government is planning on sending a letter to all twenty nine year olds in France. They say letter. Do they mean letter? Do they mean email? Do they mean a drop?
Speaker 1: A leaflet drop in them?
Speaker 5: It's a very chic letter on French government.
Speaker 2: Letter send a letter to all twenty nine year olds in the country encouraging them to have babies before it is too late. Now we have touched on this topic a lot lately about fertility and da da da da da. Hundreds of thousands of young people are going to receive this letter which aims to sort of negate Franci's declining fertility, which is an issue that very many countries are facing. And the letter aims to provide targeted, balanced and scientifically based information on sexual and reproductive health to avoid the If only I had known mentality that the health ministry are worried young people have. Crucially, France is backing this up. Women from the age of twenty nine to thirty seven get their egg freezing costs covered in France under a health policy.
Speaker 3: So that's all good, right em Vernon would much prefer that letter than her taxes. She would be stoked to get this letter and just go who it's not a fine this is.
Speaker 2: An admin night that she would be really embracing. We've talked a lot, as I said, about this lately, so it's interesting. But what I want to know from my two smart friends is if you could letter drop every twenty nine year old in Australia, what would you put in the letter?
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like I'm constantly letter dropping my husband who is this age. Oh he is too, and I'm always just imbuing my wisdom on him because i do feel as though there's something that happens in your thirties where you just become a lot wiser than anyone pre thirty, and so I'm always I'm telling him that after twenty nine, I feel like your life speeds up. It feels like something's on fast forward and everything starts going really fast and there's this re prioritizing and also going like, oh, maybe you have more of a sense of time, maybe you know your parents are getting a little bit old or whatever. You have more of a sense of spending it intentionally. But I would also say it's not long before you're going to start hearing things like bone density, ah, and how important it is to do your weight training. Holy, you'll tell you. And if you're lost my thing. I spoke at my old high school this morning, and this is one of the things I said. If you are feeling lost at twenty nine and you're just kind of going, what do I do next?
Speaker 1: I don't know what my journey is whatever.
Speaker 2: The kids in your high school, by the way, would have been like twenty nine.
Speaker 1: But I need to walk in.
Speaker 3: Then think back to who you were at five, because I think there's always a hint there about who you are, like the truest sense of yourself, and you try and get away from the person that you were, even at school. I feel like your twenties are about trying to get away from who you were as a kid or as an adolescent, And like, I couldn't even look at pictures of me with all my dental work, and you know, like the awkwardness and the insecurity of that period, and then you go, oh, she actually knew what was up, Like I actually want to get back to that fourteen year old who was really weird and quirky and people gave her a hard time, Like, I think she's got more integrity than all the different identities you try on through your twenties.
Speaker 4: I do think twenty nine it is a bit of a turning point. Yeah, not least because particularly for women. I loved that the French government, by the way, sentence to men and women, Yes.
Speaker 2: Not just women, or did that It's going to everybody and maybe not Emmanuel himself, but they've said we want all French people to be aware of the biological clocks. We know male and female biological clocks different, but men have them too.
Speaker 5: I bet biological clock sounds great in friends, much better. Wish I knew what that was anyway.
Speaker 4: I think at twenty nine people start telling women in particular, don't panic, which of course made me panic because you're just going about your life and then all of a sudden people start saying you have time. But that makes me panic because I wasn't even thinking about time until I turned twenty nine and started thinking about it. Apparently Kendall Jenner, who we just spoke about, some wisdom from Kendall I am. She's all of thirty now. She designated twenty nine as the year she chose herself. And that's exactly what I said at twenty nine when I was broken up with Well, I.
Speaker 3: Wonder what Kendall Jenna was doing at twenty eight.
Speaker 5: She was choosing bad bunny. That was the issue.
Speaker 4: And so I thought long and hard about actually useful advice to tell twenty nine year olds all across Australia.
Speaker 5: And here it is.
Speaker 4: You are about to start being deep confused about what jeans to wear. Welcome, Welcome to the age of Jean's confusion. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's only going to get worse from here.
Speaker 3: Yeah not okay, more than jeans those songs parts that Maya is wearing that are like what would you call them, like cutoffs like.
Speaker 1: She's wearing so obviously this isn't a.
Speaker 2: But she Maya has been getting around the office all week in these really big baggy they're jawts, really, but they're not jawts. They're like big baggy Bermuda shorts, visible socks, and sand shoes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm confused.
Speaker 1: But she is dressing like my thirteen year old son exactly.
Speaker 4: Anyway, what would you tell twenty nine year olds.
Speaker 2: I think you're right about that, but you see, you wouldn't like me.
Speaker 5: Because I you say, don't panic.
Speaker 2: I say, thirty isn't a deadline, and forty isn't a deadline. Everybody, all the young women that I know and have worked with like that.
Speaker 1: That's my genuine advice.
Speaker 5: Is there's this.
Speaker 2: I think that the panic is deeply unhelpful. It might have worked out well if you go, I've got to get married and I've got to change my job, and I've got to do it, and you picked all the right things, but panic can put you in very You can make some very bad choices if you're like thinking. I said, before I was thirty, I was going to X Y Z, and I haven't, and so I have to Lots of interesting things will continue to happen to you after you turn thirty.
Speaker 1: So I would say that from a serious point of.
Speaker 2: View, But I would say, also eat more protein so you don't have to mainline it in your forties, which we have discussed a lot lately to take lots and lots of.
Speaker 1: Pictures of yourself.
Speaker 2: This used to be good advice, but now everyone does take lots and lots of pictures of themselves. But because there is nothing true. It's such a cliche. But every time I see a photo of myself, even from a year ago, five years ago, ten years ago, I can picture exactly what I thought of myself and my body and my face in that moment. And when I look at it from here, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just like you.
Speaker 3: That was the young week.
Speaker 2: But also but I feel compassionate. I was like you, sweet darling, you have no idea, like you look fucking great. Yeah, all those twenty nine year olds, That's what I'd say in the message, you look fucking great.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Oh, every twenty nine year old looks so hot.
Speaker 1: Every twenty nine year old looks so hot.
Speaker 3: Just don't wear a bra like I just think it's like if Nora.
Speaker 4: Everyone said, basically, if you're in your twenties, you should be wearing a bikini every day.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so true.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I think, kind of fuck it is that I still think. I don't think you have to be like I'm tipping into thirty, so now I have to get serious, like no, be be that five year old person.
Speaker 1: That's what I say, be that five years.
Speaker 2: I just can't imagine the existential crisis this letter appearing in your in your mailbox, though.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine, you know, like you used to?
Speaker 2: Maybe you still do if you turn one hundred, get a telegram from the Queen slash king now and it's something to aspire to. And I can just imagine all these young people like going, oh no, I'm nearly at the time when I get the letter from the problem Minister.
Speaker 4: They're French, They're used to existential crises every day.
Speaker 3: It's I just I can't think of anything less sexy than the been a manual.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I think that's fairly sexy.
Speaker 3: We'll just send a photo with you shut off macarn like that might be sexier for people.
Speaker 1: Make more little French men like me.
Speaker 3: Here's here's me. Here's a few pigs from the winters. He's quite little, and here's a link to the Bad Bunny performance. Get it on. That's gonna do more for the birth rate than a weird letter with your letter head, Oh.
Speaker 1: Dear, maybe thankfully that's all we've got today. That was a show that went all over the place. Thank you out Louders for being here with us through all that.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Meyvie less of a coming back and straight off a plane, straight off your.
Speaker 5: Talk about pushing the limits of the possible.
Speaker 2: Vonn right now, straight off your Hailey Baldwin flight with Baba Oh. That was a throwback beab flight to be with us, and thanks for brilliant team for helping us put it together. As always, we'll be back in your ears tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye. Marmyer acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.