Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm im a mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Unleashed, the podcast for gen X women who need a laugh. If you remember how your strawberry shortcake doll smelt, can't remember why you walked into.
Speaker 3: The room, always me.
Speaker 1: You've found your people.
Speaker 2: Okay, who is on the sofa today?
Speaker 1: Hella people.
Speaker 4: It's Grace Ben Ben Lam and I'm a fashion stylist.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm Sally Hitworth and I'm an author.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: I'm Kat Mahoney. I'm a comedian and I'm Ginny Meersberg. I am a gpay you.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, welcome.
Speaker 2: Okay, wherever you're listening and clench your jaw, clench your pelvic floor.
Speaker 1: And get ready to unleash.
Speaker 4: Go.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I would like to kick off with something that I have been faking for many, many years. So if you're a football and or soccer fan, depending on what you call it, you know that we've just had the massive World Cup, big sporting spectacle that it was. What I would like to admit to is I've actually never ever, ever ever.
Speaker 1: Been into sport.
Speaker 2: Wait, and I have only ever faked any interest in sport due to a tour boy.
Speaker 3: Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong. You were married to a sports player of some description, a soccer player, rugby player, rugby league. Did you fake it with him?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did fake it with him on my car.
Speaker 2: All those fake it with him, I've had to fake understanding the game. This started for me with Anthony Jones when I was ten. He played basketball, so I just became obsessed with basketball, so much so that I made it onto the under elevens South Wales basketball team only because I was tall.
Speaker 1: I had nothing else.
Speaker 2: And then I went to university and my boyfriend was heavily into Manchester United, so I became a Manchester United fan. As you do, as you do, and as Sally said, I then met my lovely husband, who was a sports star, played rugby leg Andrew Johns. I then faked knowing the rules and being interested for eight or nine years. During that time, I got a job at Channel nine as a publicist, predominantly to look after their sports programs, so I had to pretend to understand cricket. We did a bit of tennis, swimming, rugby league. I just never knew the rules or enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: Did you have to come clean? In an actual moment with your husband to tell him that you actually didn't like rugby league or was it something that just became obvious overtime.
Speaker 2: Now I've just never admitted it, and I feel like it's calmer now that my son has played rugby league since he was five and is continuing potentially in dad's footsteps as a rugby league player. So I am the person that has to spend my entire weekend watching sport because it's rugby union on a Saturday, rugby league on a Sunday.
Speaker 4: I would have thought faith two perfect people to learn from.
Speaker 5: Oh what, But if you ask a man to explain a sport, absolutely strap yourself in. This is just going to be the most horrific hour of your life. So I think it's much better to pretend that you know what you're talking about and just not along zone out, because otherwise you're going to get the full thrighted description, horror story, great strongling.
Speaker 1: Look, I've just got to.
Speaker 2: Say, I feel like I've spent forty years trying to give a shit about stuff we really don't care about. You can screw your tries, your points, your conversions. Yeah, I don't even know what crickets side rule exactly.
Speaker 1: So that is me. I feel like I have fessed up.
Speaker 2: Let it go goirlfriend, I've let it go, and I would like to say to Channel nine, I'm sorry that during that interview for forty five minutes, I.
Speaker 1: Lied my love and passion the sport. I don't understand and I don't care anymore.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I have faked on multiple occasions. I think maybe we have got a theme. You know, you went for the sport. One thing that I have had is the theme with my ex's is live music, and I don't like. I don't like more particularly any music. I like to listen to smooth their fem and listen to the same music that I've listened to since the nineties in the car on the way to school with my dad.
Speaker 4: We're going to go karaoke together. Now, yeah, it's not going.
Speaker 3: To go I love Whitney Houston, you know. But look, I once pretended that I wanted guitar lessons in order to get together with this guy who did become my boyfriend, and then I immediately dropped the guitar lessons. And I also had a very lovely boyfriend when I lived in London and the two things I hate probably the most a camping and live music, and I went to Glastonbury. That's how committed I was to live music. And I don't even know if I fully understood that I didn't like it until one day sort of in my late thirties where I was at a concert and I was very loud and I wanted to go home and I was sick of standing up there, and I it just distilled to me all this time, I don't like this, and it feels good to say it.
Speaker 4: What about you, Grace, What have your fate really fakes? Of course you know the smile very directly. But when I was a teenager started dating, I was in hanging out with this guy that I fancy and we will fans each other. And you know, English is my second language. I speak three language people, by the way, Yes, So he was saying something like, you know, play it by ear, and I've never heard that phrase before. So I started playing with this ear.
Speaker 1: And he was like, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: I said, you just told me to play with your ear, and I was like, no, pay it by ear, I'm not what does that mean? He goes and he explained I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, what you say, though I have heard that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's all. Okay.
Speaker 5: So when Daniel, my husband, and I were first getting to know each other, we were sending each other text you know, like we're just like exchanging. It was like a volley match. So I asked him what his favorite Sunday would be and guess.
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 5: He said, a barbecue and then watch the cricket. I thought I was going to die.
Speaker 1: That was my worst thing.
Speaker 6: And then I said what would be your best holiday?
Speaker 5: And I understand that some people would like this, but he said, I'd like to go for a week to.
Speaker 6: The mal Dives.
Speaker 5: And I am just I can't sit still and that is just like kill me now.
Speaker 6: I just would hate that. I need to be on the go the whole time.
Speaker 3: I'll go with him to the mal Dives.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I'll give you his number. He's definitely came to go with somebody again.
Speaker 2: I feel like every road leads to the opposite sex.
Speaker 1: Are all the things that we faked?
Speaker 2: Well, he's to that ending, ladies, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: No, thank you.
Speaker 4: Speaking of ship that we're done with, Kathma, honey, I want to give a message to the advertising industry. Do you know what I saw on Instagram the other day that a midlife woman was saying how she is a consultant to a beauty company that wants to sell products to a midlife women gene next woman, And then she said she was in a meeting with these people and this late. These group of people were saying, we need to hire twenty to thirty year old to sell this product. I'm like, squeeze me to sell products to our age. I don't want to look at a young, young chick selling product for me. I mean, what the fuck? Honestly, what's wrong with us advertising for our own people?
Speaker 3: What women our age does want to look at a twenty to thirty year old woman advertising our products?
Speaker 4: But also, our skin is so different. So what are you saying about people like us right?
Speaker 6: Our age?
Speaker 4: Oh, we don't matter, We shouldn't look good at our age.
Speaker 5: I mean, come on, doctor GINI yeah, that doesn't make sense to me at all. I do think that a lot of us think that we're ten years younger than we actually are. So if you're on your fifties, you sort of think of yourself as being in the forties, and then all of a sudden, You're like, but I'm not the age that my mother was when blah blah blah had a memory and she was really old. So we kind of subtract ten, subtract ten. So if you're in your seventies, you kind of want to look at a sixty year old. If you're in your sixties, you want to look at a fifty year old. I sure, sit don't want to look at a twenty year old.
Speaker 4: Like that is.
Speaker 5: I'm phasing out at this point, So I think that consultant like, nah, she's not going to have any work.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on your algorithm, because I only realize when I'm with other friends and I look at what their phones are doing and what their social media is showing them. Mine is full of old ladies. I mean it is. I'm following the people who are graying out their hair. You know, they're very satisfying to watch online. I'm following Julia Louis Dreyfus's podcast Wiser than Me, which is where she interviews older women. I think they call themselves old women and people aging gracefully, which, by the way, I am not. But there's nothing that brings me more joy than an unadulterated older woman in her bathers with wet hair, laughing with her friends. That kind of imagery is what sells me stuff. You know, my whole life is about older women. I write books about older women. You know, my friends are largely like you, guys older than me.
Speaker 6: Thanks for reminding me, and thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm ten years younger than I thought I was, thanks to doctor Jinny's yeah you're welfare.
Speaker 1: Thanks that.
Speaker 3: I don't know why we want to be I agree. I don't think that any women I know want to be looking at younger women's faces advertising stuff for us.
Speaker 5: Sally Hepworth, best selling author, and I'm just going to say mad Mabel all over the Empire State Building in New York, if you please.
Speaker 1: Who is she?
Speaker 6: Do you have someone in mine when you wrote her?
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: Actually, there was a real life old lady who I met at a book event annually. I was looking for a new book idea, and she waited to have her book signed right until the end. And she came up to me and she said, I'm thinking of murdering my next door neighbor shuts up no, And I said, fantastic. How are you going to do it, you know, because I was looking for inspo. And she said, I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I know that I'm going to get away with it. And I said, how the dickens do you know that? And she said, because there are two groups of people who were never suspected of murder, and those are old ladies and little girls.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And that was the beginning of the book. But when I was touring Mad Mabel this year, I returned to the same event where I had met Rosalie. It was the woman's name, and I was about to tell the story, because that was the story I was telling that this was the inspiration, and I remembered that this was the place where i'd met her, and I suddenly panicked and thought, what if she did murder her neighbor? And I just stand up and I give the whole story away. And so I spoke to the organizer and I said, is there a Rosalie here? And she's sent out a couple of Lackey's. And the best thing about it was that only the only thing anyone cared about was making sure that Rosalie got away with the murder. No one was concerned about the neighbor. But we found that there was one Rosalie there, she was too young. And then they reported that there was an elderly Rosalie, but that she had passed away. So we believe that the real mad Mabel has now gone to God. We are not sure about the neighbor. Okay. I have got a question for the group, and that is when does your ex stop becoming your responsibility? So I have a scenario here. I've been divorced for three years and everything is finalized, the financial, the divorce. We're officially divorced. We are now have co parenting our three children. Last week, however, he was overseas back in the UK with his family. I was at home with my three kids and I was driving my youngest daughter, Clementine to school, and she had my phone. She was probably buying squishes or you know, putting filters on her face or putting on Kat's eye or something. And as we're driving along, I saw on the screen of my car this message flipped up from her dad and it was in I just quickly saw that it was in the year eleven parents group for our son, and I thought that's a bit weird. Didn't know he was in that group. Certainly, I've never seen him comment in that group. But okay, minute later, Clementine is holding my phone says mom.
Speaker 6: Mom, pull over.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I thought, okay, let's distress test this because sometimes it's just you know, the jumbo butter squishy has come into stock or something. So I said, what is it?
Speaker 6: And she said, Dad's sending weird messages?
Speaker 3: And I was like pulled over, and I took the phone and there was into the Whole Year eleven parents chat. It was like an emoji GIF situation of a little cat and it had its little poor going and it said I love you. I mean, it didn't say it, but that sounded like and I thought it or into the group chat of parents of parents and he's in the UK, and I'm thinking it's about midnight, and all of this is that I'm looking at the phone thinking what's my responsibility here? And so then all before my very eyes, it starts pinging, ping, ping, ping. Message after message after message is coming to the whole Year eleven group chat of kittens saying weird things. Clementine's screaming like she's freaking out. And then before I could do anything. Other parents in the chat who were friends of mine were pinging me saying.
Speaker 1: Do something, make it stop?
Speaker 6: Would be drunk.
Speaker 1: It's a UK, right, yes, sometime midnight in the UK. He's awake, fair chance, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I called him. Clementine said call him and I said, you.
Speaker 1: Call him dad, you're the child.
Speaker 3: If she called him didn't answer, the think ping ping ping, Then I said, we can't do anything. We've got to go started driving, ping, ping pink. She said we've got to try again, mum, and so we rang again. This time he answered half cut at the pop no idea any of this was happening, and was horrified, of course, and he immediately deleted the messages and sent an apology and whatnot. But it really got me thinking, was that my obligation to intervene?
Speaker 1: Then? Is it?
Speaker 3: We'll always be connected with children, and so perhaps there is the saving my children from the social suicide of having a dad sending cat emojis to the whole school. Kath Mahoney, Ginny Mansburg, you've both had experience with ex husbands we have. Would you have stepped in to save them from emoji gate?
Speaker 6: Helena? Yeah, no, I wouldn't. I mean, I do that.
Speaker 5: I read this really good book called Mum's House, Dad's House, and it's a very American book.
Speaker 1: Have you read it?
Speaker 5: Yes, it's so good and so basically what the author of this book said was that you now need to think about your ex partner as a business partner.
Speaker 1: So forever, for the rest of your lives.
Speaker 5: You guys are going to be in this business relationship together, whether you're in the business of raising your kids. But in the same way as somebody at work, you would never comment on the size of their bum or the fact that they're saying really stupid things in a group chat, or that they're making a fool of themselves at a party. It's just not appropriate for a person that you know at work. You need to apply business rules. And what a relief like.
Speaker 1: That shit in my life anymore?
Speaker 6: How good?
Speaker 5: Like you know what, everyone's just going to go And I wonder she'd divorced him, so like, that's just so good.
Speaker 6: I actually think you were afraid up there wanted children?
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it different when the children are of a minor age.
Speaker 2: I think it has something to do with also where you're at in the separation, because early days when my husband and I had separated, and he, you know, he is a famous rugby league player commentator now would often be in the press with good and bad things, and the way that some journals do. It would always be like I'd get added to the story and his ex wife, even if it was nothing to do with me and his other first ex wife. Like you'd always get added, and people would have a comment to you about whether it was a good scenario who was involved in or bad that you had to bite your tongue. But I think you know now years later, it's very different.
Speaker 3: We went harder, isn't it if you're actually being pulled in by someone else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now you know, many eleven years later, we recently had Lewis's formal and we had the pres together. And Andrew has met a million gazillion people, and he's not very good at remembering people's names or if he's met them before.
Speaker 1: And I went.
Speaker 2: We both went together, and I immediately went into former publicist mode. It's like you sort of like you joined the president that Susan to the right. Susan's got a son called Blah Blah blah, and these two girls were like oh, a bit sort of excited to meet him, but you know, anyway, and I was like, well, just move it along.
Speaker 4: That's just I was like, so.
Speaker 3: I'm reading that kath would help Andrew out if he was sending cat emojis to the school group. Now GINI perhaps not.
Speaker 5: No, I think you know cat emogs you go for your life, go for your life, and elephant in there.
Speaker 4: It's definitely come of, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 1: Are you drunk?
Speaker 4: Honestly, you're making me lose face.
Speaker 1: I'm Chinese.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you do that if you liked him, or if you didn't like him exactly, still got one straight.
Speaker 4: But you know what talk about. I don't have an ex husband, but I do have many ex boyfriends, and I'll I'm on a trip recently to a city that we were both in the same city and my ex I dated him very briefly.
Speaker 3: In my way, you and an ex boyfriend were both in the same same city, which we didn't know. So I was with my husband and my son and we're having a great time. And then I got a message saying, hey, you're in my hood, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, what I thought you lived in Brooklyn, New York. So anyway, he said, didn't you see my LinkedIn post I moved to this country. I said, no, I didn't. And I said, do you want to meet up? You know, I haven't seen him for fifteen years?
Speaker 3: You said, do you want to meet up? And you haven't sit him for fifteen years and you're there with your husband and son.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you ask Jason food?
Speaker 4: Of course, I said, oh, by the way, this guy's here, Sure we have a coffee with him. I told him everything. I mean, I'm very honest with Jason. And of course I told my son, I so, by the way, Mama might meet one of my exes and they're both there. Yeah, yeah, sure, let's go. But this guy, because he's English, is very polite, very polite, very lovely gentleman. So we met up. He bought us dinner. It was a lovely conversation, you do you and Jason, and yes.
Speaker 1: It is that lovely.
Speaker 6: Sounds like a nice guy, really nice.
Speaker 4: And he's married and he's doing really well. I mean sometimes with certain people you can be friends. And then after the dinner, Jason said, there's no way he could have handled you.
Speaker 1: I know, And then my son went.
Speaker 4: Mama, he's so not your type. I'm like, I know, that's why I marry your dad. Yeah, so sometimes it could happen that you can be friends with your ex.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think that Jason and Theo's little ego was coming out there going that he's not good enough for you, mum, only we can handle you exactly. Real men, real men love that.
Speaker 1: Okay. You know I love a bit of woo will.
Speaker 4: Yes, I love a bit of wood.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go. What I saw that little cheeky side.
Speaker 2: I will have you know, doctor Ginny, there are Unlicia's love the woo woot. They do so much so I'm being sent in spells. Okay, so do you want to hear about my spell? Because I want to convince you you know I'm unlucky in love, and you know that that some people are invested in me finding love me.
Speaker 1: Thank you well.
Speaker 2: This is a feng shwee spell about love and abundance and romance. Remember my date disaster? Yes, my love luck was down the toilet. A lovely lady called Pip Drysdale.
Speaker 1: Here was an author. I thought you might know Pip. She reached out and.
Speaker 2: She was like, have you tried the peach blossom luck spell, and I was like, I do beg your pardon, and.
Speaker 1: It's well grace, it's a feng swe thing.
Speaker 2: I can't say the name in peach blossom luck and it's for romance and attraction and abundance.
Speaker 4: This person white, yes she is.
Speaker 2: But I did a big deep dive on the internet and so basically all it costs is a couple of bunches of flowers that you can get from the supermarket or petrol station.
Speaker 1: Doesn't need to be a lot of money.
Speaker 2: What you need to do first is find your Chinese zodiac animal. Okay, so I me I am a tiger. So you find that out, because with that comes what direction in your room you're going to put the flowers. So for me, my direction is east. Then you need to look at the flower color and the vase color depending on what Chinese animal you are, and then you put the flowers in that vase. You get your iPhone out because you need to have a compass to work out. It's tricky, but it's actually not that tricky once you start. So then I could work out where east was, and then I put my blue or my green flowers into my vas.
Speaker 6: Where do you get green flowers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you just go. You have to.
Speaker 6: You can forage for how.
Speaker 3: Much time and money did you put into this?
Speaker 1: Can not that much.
Speaker 2: Actually I had to buy a new vas. My vase is blue and you have to change the water. So unless you keep your flowers and water clean and fresh, it has the adverse effect and there is no abundance coming in and your love life is fucked. So I'm now on my fourth lot of flowers? Is it working well abundance wise? I just had a massive new gig from work come in, so love life bow abundance changing.
Speaker 3: I think that the person who sells blue vases is now doing well in the abundance area, because who has a blue bars?
Speaker 1: I've got a lovely one.
Speaker 2: It was, I've got it on sale, sal you'd love it. So is anyone else filling the urge to do my woo woo?
Speaker 4: I mean as a Chinese person?
Speaker 1: Yeah, with one of the show stuff. Yeah, I believe it.
Speaker 4: However, it on the person and where you live and wish direction all of that. So sometimes with these kind of tricks is very generalized.
Speaker 3: You know, we need it to be really basic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't expect too much if it happens. Great. If it doesn't, you know, you've just got flowers in your house.
Speaker 3: Is there a conclusion to this spell, like if, for example, the dream boat is to fall into your bed, is that assigned to take your blue pas and green and blue flowers and toss them out the window or something?
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I think it's you know, I mean, you can do it for as long as short as you want, but you have to keep changing the water. And when the flowers look like they're starting to die, you have to get rid of them, because then it's sort of it has the adverse effect. Anyway, Look, I'm only three lots of flowers in and my financial abundance is up, and my love life is is you know, is not up?
Speaker 6: It's not, but it's not down.
Speaker 1: It's not it's of non existence.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're using the compass wrong and you've got it in the financial abundance corner because there's every chance you're using the compass wrong. Let's face it, Kath, I.
Speaker 6: Know you love your woo, but I've got one even better.
Speaker 5: I just got back from the United States and there was the batshit craziest event there. You will not believe. What is that guys, you know that I spend a lot of time in Las Vegas, and we need to talk about the Enhanced Games because this is so exciting.
Speaker 1: So for anyone, what are they?
Speaker 5: So you know the Olympic Games, and you know how you're not allowed to take any doping at all, Like you get your medals removed.
Speaker 6: Okay, So if you are into.
Speaker 5: Your whole stack of your peptides, all your illegal stuff at the Olympics, you are invited to the Enhanced Games where there is nothing off limits, absolutely nothing.
Speaker 6: You can have as many supplements, as many you can biohack your way into anything that gives you an advantage.
Speaker 5: So much so that the organizers invested twenty two million US dollars, offering a million dollars each for any world record that could be broken by someone who is enhanced.
Speaker 6: Wow, so basically spoiler alert.
Speaker 5: Literally only one record was broken and was for a thirty meter sprint that doesn't even exist in the Olympic Game.
Speaker 6: Like only the unenhanced people were winning.
Speaker 4: That is shocking to me.
Speaker 5: I know that it'll be shocking to you, Sally Hepworth, because I know that you have a stack.
Speaker 6: I know the value of a.
Speaker 4: Hang on Jinny, what's a stack?
Speaker 5: So this is what these enhanced people and podcast bros obviously not us and like tech billionaires call their livers not yet tomorrow, call their supplement list, like their list of like pep tides that they take their biohacking kind of hacks, their tools, and also.
Speaker 6: All of the pet tides that they're objecting themselves with.
Speaker 3: I always think of it like a stack of bracelet sounds like a lot of work.
Speaker 5: So I really wanted to talk about our stack because we have had this conversation before in this room, and we have talked about what we're all taking, and I have just rolled my eyes at the lot of you. But now that you know that the whole thing is a complete bust, I still want to know, what are you going to Dineahill for?
Speaker 3: Well, I stand by my stack, and I've actually added a few since, of course that we were chatted.
Speaker 6: She's got the list out, guys, she's reading.
Speaker 3: I wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out. I am currently on HRT. I don't know does that count as it.
Speaker 6: Does it does? Or testosterone is for sale on your SAST website.
Speaker 3: I've thrown in the testosterone as well, so I've got the triple. I like my vitamin B for energy because I don't like to eat vegetables, Magnesium to get to sleep, that's always nice. I also like some melotonin of an evening, creatine because everyone says you need your creatine, Vitamin D because I don't really like to go outside, iron because I live on two minute noodles and don't really eat any meat. Omega three because that's supposed to be good for hair. Not that I've got any, but.
Speaker 1: You have added since we last talked. Yeah, wow, I.
Speaker 3: Took some away as well, just because I ran out of the bottle, so I just started taking other ones.
Speaker 4: That's a lot, man, I'm so lazy. And because I've spoken to doctor Junie about this, I actually been my magnesium and my protein powder recently because I can't deal with anymore. So now I just take vitamin D and then I take creatine sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then a.
Speaker 4: Charity of course. Oh I've got a few or Mega three left. But I'm not gonna buy anyone after this, because I've read somewhere that is actually not that the studies are not that great. I mean, there's so many things that it's a lot of misinformation out there. So I'm just like, you know, I'm not gonna spend any more money on any of these. I'm just going to go natural whole food again. When you say you take creatine or one of them, sometimes is that you like me. And that sometimes is when you notice it under the sink and you haven't taken it for a while, so you're like, oh, I might throw in some creatine today. No, I mean, because I was Chinese, I always want to if I pay for something, I'll use it, that's for sure. But I mean it's just a wild worst otrogen. Please tell me to ben everything.
Speaker 6: Ben everything.
Speaker 5: But I'm just interested. Is anyone injecting themselves with peptides?
Speaker 1: Because this is so.
Speaker 3: What's the story on the peptides then? Because they are everywhere?
Speaker 5: They are everywhere, So you know, we've got to be real about what a peptide is.
Speaker 1: So what is it?
Speaker 6: So a peptide, like a protein.
Speaker 5: Is made up of a number of amino acids, which is like the base unit. They're the things that your body can absorb from your garts, right, and then when you combine them together, a tripeptide is like three amino acids, and then they like collagen is nineteen amino acids. They're different lengths of amino acids. Weight loss injections, GLP ones, they are peptides. They have been studied hundreds of thousands of people over many, many, many years. The peptides that are made in a lab in China that are labeled for research purposes have not been studied at all, not for safety, and not for efficacy.
Speaker 6: I can't believe people.
Speaker 5: Who just go, I'm not going to take any medication that will lower my cholesterol, but I will inject myself with these things that have research.
Speaker 3: Read it and the person on Reddit said it was really good. So you say that it's a bit like weight loss injections. So people, when you say they're injecting peptids, yeah, are they injecting it as if to be a GLP one or are they injecting it for a luminous skin.
Speaker 5: Luminous skin, a tan weight, loss of building muscle.
Speaker 6: There's so many of these things.
Speaker 5: And how it turns out that the enhanced games was just one big marketing gambit to actually sucker all of us midlife women to go onto their website and purchase their uber expensive medications, and it's targeting us, telling us that our brains will be better and our bodies will be better, and it's all based on like a lot of wou wu.
Speaker 1: It's pretty scary. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, guys, massive disclaimer we on Unleashed. We do not give medical advice. He'll be amazed to know. And you should go to your doctor, particularly because while I am a doctor, I'm definitely not your doctor, and so you definitely need to go and see your own JP.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've got a big gearshift. Now it's time for other people's problems. This is a part of the show where you send us your dilemmas, your questions, and your moral gray areas, and we attempt to offer good advice. Mostly they're silly or juicy, but today we have a really big one that stopped us in our tracks. This week's problem comes from Lisa, whose mum died very recently. She arranged a small farewell, but now a family member who has not shown up for years wants to organize something separate.
Speaker 1: Let's have a listen to Lisa.
Speaker 7: My mother died ten days ago. She was living in a residential care facility for nearly twelve years. Nobody even bothered to see her or even call me over the past five years to see how she was. So I decided that I wouldn't give her a formal funeral or service. I decided to do something at the nursing home with her friends there. Anyway, my cousin then sent me a message saying that she wanted to do something with her and her family outside of what I had arranged, which devastated me, made me angry, made me upset. I'm just trying to get through it, so this added stress and pressure is not helpful. And I didn't know how to reply to the message, so I just deleted it. I just thought, you know what, I can't I just can't respond to it. But now I've got sleepless nights, wake up in the middle of the night feeling genuinely sick and upset. I just want to get through this. Why do people make it so hard? Wow?
Speaker 2: Thanks Lisa for sharing. Yes, Lisa, Wow, that's a what do you think grace.
Speaker 4: Sometimes in such I mean, I've had so many deaths in my life that sometimes when people don't keep in touch or they don't bother asking about your family, there's always one or two that suddenly pops out and want to take control. I say no, because you weren't there all the way through. And I think those people do things for themselves rather than for you know, the passed away mum or her family, and I think it's for selfish reasons. Like to be honest, I'm the kind of person I will do exactly the same. I would delete it, and would I feel bad. Probably not. But at the same time, I do think this is such a tough moment, Lisa. You have to do what you want to do because those people were not there for you, period. That's what I would do.
Speaker 3: So look at something up. First of all, I'm so sorry, Lisa to about your mother. And it's something that I have thought about a lot. I have two so lucky to have two live parents, and you know, they're getting older, and also buried my great aunt a few years ago, and I've thought a lot about funerals and what they are and who they're for. And the thing that I've thought about a lot is that the funerals are actually for the people left behind more than they are for the one that has gone, even though of course we want to take their wishes into account, and of course make sure that the people that they would have wanted there are there. I have thought about the fact that there potentially will be people at my mother's funeral one day that maybe I wouldn't have invited, and I've kind of made my peace with the fact that that is the way it's going to be, not to say, and I really feel for you because I can understand and hear the pain in your voice and it's so raw and it's so new. I think you did the right thing by deleting the message. You don't have to be involved in that. But equally, I think it's you can't necessarily control what people decide to do to remember your mother, and maybe you've done what you wanted to do with her friends and the people who were in her life towards the end of her life and the nursing home, and they potentially can do something else. And that doesn't mean that they were there for her or you in the ways that they perhaps should have been, but that's their experience to do with, and you've already done your bit for your mother. I think that's that's probably my feeling in a little bit of mel Robbins let.
Speaker 1: Them, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, first of all, you know, Lisa, I'm so sorry I lost your mum, and for something to come in on ten days, you know, ten days in like this is really.
Speaker 1: Hard to have to deal with.
Speaker 2: I would have deleted it, but I'm also a massive overthinker, so Lisa, I would probably be awake, you know, possibly like you are, in the middle of the night thinking about it.
Speaker 1: You could always just reach.
Speaker 2: Out and just, you know, give them your blessing to remember your mum however they want to, you know, but obviously not to commit to anything past that.
Speaker 1: It's tricky, Jenny, what would you do.
Speaker 5: Putting aside the issues of the funeral? Lisa, I just want to put my arms around you. You sound like you're in a really bad place and I feel like you need a hug, and I want to know who's there for you, Lisa, Like, can you reach out to people to help you get through this period of intense grace, this real sadness that I hear from you. And I'm not gonna lie. I think you should probably check in with your GP. I want to make sure that there's nothing else going on, like depression something like that, because something as awful as losing a parent, if you are on the edge of depression, can just throw you to that next level. And so whatever you decide to do with the message, with the funeral, with the memory service, whatever you decide to do, that's.
Speaker 6: Not my main concern right now.
Speaker 5: My main concern is you, and I just I think you need a hug, and I think you need to take some time out for yourself right now to just heal and just don't worry about this.
Speaker 6: This is a a real side show. The cousin is a side show.
Speaker 1: But this is a really.
Speaker 5: Tough time and I just want you to know that in this room, we are hearing your pain and we just are putting a big hug around you and saying go and get the self care that you need to deal with this incredibly difficult situation and put yourself first right now. Your mum is gone, but you need to be okay. And that's all I care about right now.
Speaker 1: That's great advice. Yeah, Oh wow.
Speaker 4: Life's tougher, Yeah it is. But even within my own family. So I have four sisters. My older sister's eight years older than me, and my second sister is five years older, and I have a twin sister, and she's five minutes older than me. When my sister died at a young age of thirty nine, it went from she was fine.
Speaker 1: She came.
Speaker 4: I was living in London with my twin sister. She came with my niece who was eight. We went to Paris for a week, and then she came back to London, and then she went back to Hong Kong. And then two weeks later, we're going to go back to Hong Kong fororifaication. Suddenly, my mother called me one day in tears and she said, your sister has cancer. And I said what stage and she said, it's the last stage.
Speaker 1: She's going to die.
Speaker 4: So basically we only had three mats with her, and what's so sad with her? Kids were so young. My family is Buddhist, you know, we be living Buddhism. Towards the end of my sister's journey, she became a Christian. So for the past her two months left, she became a Christian. All her friends were Christians. My mother is a very strong mom, and she said, we're going to give your sister a Buddhist funeral. Naturally, some of her friends were so against it. They were trying to talk to us about how at the end she's a Christian, therefore it should be a Christian funeral, And to be honest, I was so shocked because I thought, she's not your family, she's your good friend. Let's leave it as that. And then my grief. Everyone has a different type of grief when it comes to death, right, My grief was angry grief. I just could not understand why they took her away so young. And my two siblings, who are a bit more chill than me, they were quietly grieving. My mom was broken, my dad was so broken because there's the eldest daughter. What I'm trying to say is, Lisa, is that sometimes you are the only one that know how you feel right, and it doesn't matter what other people trying to tell you what to do. You have to do something that you are so comfortable worth that you have no regret. And you know that's what your mom wants and your cousin they might want to do this because of their own guilt or whatever reason, let them do it. What I realize that sometimes the only things that were heal is time, nothing else, nothing else. I mean, my sister passed away like almost twenty years ago now and I'm still like this, you know, so you don't forget, You just grief in a much subtle way. And now at fifty three, young, I understand sometimes you just have to take what the universe has lying up for you, and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually a beautiful thing that the Unlitias feel that we can hold space for them and they want to share the good and the bad and the absolute heart wrenching as this story is from Lisa.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and thank you for trusting us and for trusting the other unleashas to hear this, for sharing it with them as well.
Speaker 1: Thanks to real privilege.
Speaker 3: And we're sending you so much love, Lisa from all of us in this really difficult time. Guys. A few weeks ago, Kath told us that she had never been to a school form and so I had the idea that we should throw Kath a formal.
Speaker 4: Yes, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Is that not the best idea, So we didn't just discuss it among us. We also threw it out to the listeners because we thought that they would have some opinions, and by god, did they have some opinions. They did not just respond, they flooded us. We were smashed with responses. So I've got a few examples of the dms that we got. We've got Yes, you have to throw Kath a formal underlie.
Speaker 1: Yes we do.
Speaker 3: She is the most deserving promo queen of them all and would look divine in taffata. Oh and I think we all agree with that. Another comment, Oh my god, I can picture this so clearly, please please please underlined and in bold. Have this formal. And then another one we had was this has literally made my week. Capital Yes to this idea. I want to come to dance, so sign me up. So I think it's fair to say that the people want this, Yes they do.
Speaker 1: We need to deliver it.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking time to book a venue.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh wait, wait, wait, I need to budget.
Speaker 5: We're going to We're going to need to get the powers that bear across the line. So we need to come up with a plan to make Mia love this and say.
Speaker 4: Yes, you need to make a PowerPoint of why and how we're going to do this, and what's the budget.
Speaker 3: Look, I've got ADHD, which means I'm not the best of organized, but I'm going to put my hyper focus onto this yes, and I'm going to work out what'll happen, how to make it happen. So you're saying I need to pitch, yes, yes, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: Business like you know, think about all the times you've been officing offices PowerPoint you know, Oh you're a writer, haven't done that?
Speaker 4: You have to dress up, go into the ballroom, take charge, stand tore, and just go this is what we want and you're going to delivers.
Speaker 5: Okay, Grace, you're on the clothing we go eighties eighties VI yes, yeah, it.
Speaker 6: Is into the into the pitching meeting.
Speaker 4: We all behind you, will be be behind you, supporting.
Speaker 2: More is more, I think, no, go in, go in, dress like you're going to be at the foremal okays nineties vibe so.
Speaker 4: They can feel the vibe.
Speaker 3: What's it going to be like.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 6: It's going to the power of the people.
Speaker 5: We've got all the unleashes with all of these comments and d ms. We need to bring that to the powers that be at Point to do those.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think.
Speaker 3: That it's less from what I can tell about what's in the power point and more about the delivery.
Speaker 1: Okay, visuals.
Speaker 4: That's loads of visuals, pictures, pictures of Cat, Yes, because.
Speaker 1: It's her ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty in pink, pretty in pink, any kind of prom kind of moods.
Speaker 3: Definitely got that part.
Speaker 4: You go in dresses, Madonna, ages, material, going, loads of pearls, fun, white jail, white gel in the hair.
Speaker 6: Yes, just lots of teasing and your hair gel.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we've got the pitch nailed with sorted.
Speaker 6: I mean, who could say no?
Speaker 3: I think I'm feeling good about that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The other thing we need to think about is what are we going to call it? Because I was thinking Cat's formal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this is where I need to interject and say, I want to formal, but I don't want it to be all about me.
Speaker 1: Like my wedding day.
Speaker 2: I hated being the focus and like it just it freaks me out. So can we just make it more inclusive? Like every I don't know, I mean, when are we gonna do it? I don't want to do it this summer. I get super sweaty pets. We're all spring Okay, well what spring fling?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: I love that's so good, the spring fling.
Speaker 2: And it's for everyone. It's everyone's opportunity. We all get a cause queen.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's do it. Okay.
Speaker 3: I love that. And so then we've got the organization of where it's going to be. Now this I feel like we need brunafore Yes, what the hell is Bruna? Where we need it?
Speaker 5: A flight in l a Yeah, and we're going to get all the unleashures right like they want this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we want them all.
Speaker 5: There because we actually want to finally meet the people who have been sending us the best messages ever, Like, there are so many that I want to meet already.
Speaker 3: And everyone in their best prom dress. I actually probably still have my formal dress from the nineties. I mean it's not an attractive dress, ladies, we're feeling good about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: I'm going to get O my best pitching outfeed and I'm going to do my pal point sprinkling.
Speaker 1: We're on. You got this out? Yeah, it's out right. Well, that is all we have time for today.
Speaker 2: So if you've enjoyed the episode, share it with one of your girlfriends, and if you can follow us, go to Spotify or Apple and hit the plus button, and that means that we appear in your.
Speaker 1: Feed every Tuesday. How good.
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 2: And if you want to reach out to us, we do read all your dms at Unleashed dot show on Instagram. And if we ask you to record your message as a voice note, please do.
Speaker 1: When you might appear in the show, well we'll be back next Tuesday, or like we like to say, ladies, see Tuesday. Until next time.
Speaker 2: Stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, Stay unleashed.
Speaker 1: Bye. Mamma.
Speaker 2: Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on