Speaker 1: Some days I think they're paying me to do this stuff. I've had days like that when I think, really, don't tell them. The thing about Antarctica is probably what keeps me coming down. Here is the pure wilderness. It's pure air, it's pure water, pure sound. Every day is precious. Live your best life as much as you possibly get. Don't put things off. If you want to go and see Antartica, save up, do it, you do it now.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Seas. The Yay Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play, and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives they adore, the good, bad and ugly. The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your yay. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned entrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found for Maiden and matcha Milk Bar. Cca is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Beautiful people, I'm finally back from the Great White and I'm genuinely speechless, which doesn't happen very often. The Ya of Antarctica was absolutely indescribable, although as per usual, when I say there are no words, I then follow with a million words, so you'll be getting bombarded with reflections and feelings in due course. I'm sitting down with and this week to unload with a little Yez of allis Reunion, which will be coming to you much more regularly, I promise, and that will be in your ears very soon. Thank you so much for your patients, by the way, during the repeated breaks we've had this year to allow for travel and chaos and a general roller coaster now turned polar coaster of a year to keep you going. In the meantime, I was so lucky to interview many of the incredible career and passengers on the Ocean Endeavor during our travels to Antarctica, and I will compile it all eventually. There's so much audio and footage to go through. There were just so many fascinating pathways that expanded my mind in all directions over and over I literally, I'm not going to stop talking about this trip for years, but I recorded one very special full episode with someone whose story made me tear up many times, and whose passion project I'm desperate to share as far and wide as possible, and I hope you guys will be too. I gravitated towards Martin Cohen immediately because if anyone on board qualified as the team penguinologist, it's him. Although his expertise is much broader as an overall wildlife biologist, and yes, he has had drinks with one Sir David Attenborough in his time, but as time went on on the ship, I also heard the most heartwarming and heart wrenching story behind the scenes, and I hope you're as moved by Martin as I was. I won't give you any hints, as it's so much more beautiful told by Martin himself, but I will include links at the end so you can support the beautiful project he's embarked on that you'll hear all about. I'm sure many of you will be as passionate as I have become about helping him spread the word, and hope the yighborhood can get behind him. Excuse the background noise the ship was pretty loud. I think we've got rid of most of it. There's a bit of buzzing in the background, but it does give you an authentic taste of the adventure. Ladies and gentlemen, Martin Cohen, Martin, welcome to Ceza.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: I am so excited to have you here. We have had the loveliest couple of days together. It's been a pleasure getting to know you, but now to be able to sit down and find out more about how you started is an absolute joy.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, I'm happy to tell my story. It's very nice and calm conditions as well. I have to go back a few years. Sarah, So, I'm sixty one now. So I was born in nineteen sixty one in Melbourne, in Ringwood and Malvin and my parents were battlers, I suppose, for want of a different word. The dad was a women's fashion shoe salesman, so I used to go all over the out and country Storia selling the new samples for the new season's shoes, and mum was a part time bookkeeper, housekeeper. Really, so in suburban Melbourne.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that fascinates me the most about doing this show is tracing back all the steps of like now the chapter of your life that I walk in. Now it's this crazy adventure, but you definitely don't always start knowing that that's where you're going to be. And one of the things I got asked to most about before we left f Antarctica was, oh, my god, you get to meet a penguinologist, and you are the one who falls in the definition of a penguinologist. So from those beginnings in Melbourne to penguinology to hear tell us the story.
Speaker 1: Well, as soon as I could remember, I was fascinated by wildlife, and I listened to and watch TV Vincent seventi and there was Harry Butler and people like that. And it was also an American program called Mutual Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and they had Marlon Perkins presented, and they had Big Gym who used to go out and catch all the wildlife. And I wanted to be big Gym. Everything I wanted to do, you know. I used to go to fields out the back of Melvin they're all residential developments now, Keys were a region and used to go and look for frogs, bring back frogs and all sorts of things back home and hey, Mom, lookd I've got today Mum and go, oh, yeah great. And I brought back a snake one day. It was a copperhead snake and said Mum, And she says, is that poisonous? Man? And I said yeah, And she says, we might want to go and let that go, I think, And I think I dropped it in the house. I was having an escape anyway. My parents were very good at putting up with my crazy desires. I didn't know what that meant. So I knew I wanted to work with wildlife. I was passionate about bidlife. I don't know where that came from, but it did. And so finished school, went to university, did a biological science degree and did honors in zoology and that got me out in the field actually catching wildlife, and I thought, I really like this. And then I got off at a scholarship to go to Townsville. So a little Melbourne boy going up to the dim dark North Queensland, up to Townsvill to James Cook University. And it was there that really my eyes were open to what I could be in this field and then begrudgingly finished a PhD and did all sorts of other things, And I've worked in tourism, worked as a consultant, launched programs like Land for Wildlife, and then I fell into the BBC Natural History in it for four years, so working on a six part series called Wild Austroasia as a senior researcher and working with Dione Gilmour in the ABC in Melbourne, and it was fantastic and the BBC best Cameraman, best producers in the world and got to travel around the country filming wildlife.
Speaker 2: Gosh, it's so cool. I think one of the things that we get drummed into us, maybe a little bit too hard when we're younger, is that you are supposed to know what you want to do and then you're supposed to get there in this really linear fashion, and that you meant to have it all sorted out. But I feel like no one's career starts or ends, that very few people land where they thought they would, and that there are so many different steps along the way, Like who could have known that you would end up with the BBC, which is like the dream that you didn't even know you had it was.
Speaker 1: I knew when I was doing that two year contract, it's never going to get better than this. I mean, this mob paying me to travel around Australia with the world's best cameraman filming wildlife and relying on my expertise to help them do that. And I thought, that's never going to get any better. And in some ways it hasn't. It hasn't. I mean, that was a dream job and I loved it. And then I met this lovely English girl and working helping me work on the series. And after that contract, we went to the UK and sort of did contracts with the BBC and that's we're my favoite story of it. I did get drunk with David Attenborough at a wild screen conference once so and I was living the dream. But her name is Julia. Julia and I decided that if our careers took off here in the UK, we were never going to see each other. And we were soulmates, you know, absolutely soul mates. So we decided to come back Australia and start in Far North Queen's landing Cans and start our own business. And so that was the next phase. Start from scratch, literally, start from scratch and that was great, and we started a publishing company and we did a whole range of different jobs, and Julia's career was taking off, and I was sitting back thinking, yeah, well, I might just sit back and be stay home and write a few books and you know, articles and things like that. But well turned a bit upside down when she contracted a rare autoimmune disease and passed away in twenty eleven, so and I had to change track again and what do I do now? And where do I go? And that was pretty tough.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I can't even imagine. I think one of the things that any theory of joy and fulfillment and happiness in life also has to consider the challenges to that joy that happened along the way, and that there are times where you don't feel any joy for big, long, protracted periods of time and don't think necessarily that you'll have another drawer that you could rebuild yourself. But yet now I feel like you're one of the most positive, humanity embracing people that I've ever met. So how did you find your way out of that?
Speaker 1: It's funny because Julia. When I met Julia in two thousand and two. It pretty well re sparked my childhood passion for wildlife because she had it and reflected back to me then, and I'm still going she lit the fire, and although she's not here anymore, that fire still goes because of it, and it's sort of this is what I love, and this is what I want to do. I love telling people how wonderful nature is. And I have this, hopefully a good belief that if people get to know how wonderful nature is and they're confronted with opportunities to either save it or not, they'll choose to save it. I'm going to believe that to the day I die, so my passion. If that inspires you to want to protect it or appreciate it more, then that's my job and that's why I'm here.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you absolutely sparked that for everyone on this boat. From the first talk to the last, I feel like we've had so many opportunities to share in your passion for what started as thinking you were the ornithologist, and then thinking with a pengleinologist, and then realizing you were just the everything biologist. How did you make your way then to this incredibly remote and pristine part of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a really good question, Sarah, because I'm not sure sure how either. I mean, technically, I'm a tropical wildlife biologist and I introduced myself as that, and then people are thinking, but we're going to Antarctica. So I started getting into the expedition company a few years after Julia passed away, and I doing more and more, and I work with a company called Limblade Expeditions, and I really like them, and they liked me, and they kept giving me more work in tropical regions and that's fun. And I had a guy, a lovely guy, I'm Sean Powell, who believed in me. He said, Martin, I want you to learn our Antarctica. Who wants you to be part of our Antarctic expedition team. So, and you'll probably appreciate this transition from wildlife biologists to storyteller. And you find things that interest you, mostly wildlife, and you think, well, I can write a story from that and to engage people. And so you know a lot of ways I call myself a storyteller or a performer. Now, you know, I do the research and I prepare talks. I try and make them entertaining and have this little bit of a performance. I've come off stage, you know, big stage for talking to a lot of people, and I've gone back to my cabin sometimes like who the hell was that? It's like, who was that person out there? I was like, what happened to that scientist? And so it has been a bit of an epiphany for me that I'm a bit of a performer or you know, and telling stories and trying to engage people. And I thought back, my mother and father, I never thought about this much met at amateur theater. So and I had a very famous and successful brother who was a three times Diri Award winning producer and engineer. So he went down that industry. He's no longer with us, sadly, he took a toll, I think, all the drugs and the alcohol and the smoking, and he didn't live past sixty. But he was hugely successful. And I suppose I was a scientist. And I thought, well, now that's where I've got my sort of artistic site. And I love it. And saying that the compliment you paid me about what I've presented here, it is really important because I work hard to make them accessible to people. From all works a lot. I don't want to be a lecture. I hate the word lecture. They all call them lectures here. I like presentation and much rather presentation.
Speaker 2: I also think what's really interesting is how much we silo ourselves in thinking I'm not good at public speaking, therefore I won't do the presentations. I'll leave it up to someone else. Or I'm a scientist, so I fit in, you know, the stereotype of sit in my room and just do the science. But once you decide you're a storyteller, then you just can be that. And I also think the coolest thing is looking back, like you said, with your parents and seeing how all the dots connect. Eventually you'll work it out. You don't necessarily know in the forwards motion, but looking back.
Speaker 1: No, definitely, I had no idea, as I said, I thought, oh, maybe my photography is my artistic side. But in the last few years I realized that, you know, I'm actually entertaining people with positive information about nature. And that's where I classify myself now, is that I want to pass on my passion about nature and people really dig it, which is great, and I seem to be good at it. So I'm in a very comfortable part of my professional life. Especially, I'm very comfortable with who I am and what I do, and I just want to get better and no big people like yourself and others, And I hear how they do storytelling, and I think, how can I approve I work with these amazingly talented exhibition stuff, you know, and watch them and I think, oh, wow, you know they take little bits of what they do. So yeah, I'm enjoying life a lot at the moment.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so beautiful. I love it that you're truly seizing your yay right now. While from a lind Lad to here, I mean it's a very different kind of expedition. But obviously, once you've got to taste for Antarctica, you've kept coming back. So you know, coming from a tropical background, what then drew you to stay here and be on this Intrepid boat with the I mean, the team is extraordinary, Well I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, once a entar gets in your skin, I mean, you want to go back every year, so it's only a small proportion of the year I come down and do one or two contracts. The way I got to Intrepid is interesting because I knew about Intrepid, you know, and I sort of had this idea that was a good Australian company and it's got really good environmental values. And there's a Facebook group called Expedition Boat People and Sam, who I was with, Heavn trapperd and put an ad out there looking for Antarctic guides for their inaugural Antarctic trips. So I sent Sam an email and said hi Sam, you know, and gave them a list of what I've been doing. I've already had at the time three seasons in Antarctica and you know, a fair wealth of experience. And he jumped and said yeah great, you know, and we had zoom calls and said look, I've got to get you on board, and you know, he offered me the starter and this first section. It was exciting to start, you know, a new area with a new company. And that's why I'm here. And yeah, so I've probably a bitten off a bit more than I can chew this year. But because I'm crossing over to the Limblad for Christmas New Year, so I'm away for eleven weeks. I've never been away for eleven weeks before. It's usually you know, four or five, so but I get six trips for Antarctica, and that's twelve drake crossings too.
Speaker 2: We have just come off the back of a particularly rough one, so I think you're heading back into a second rough return, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah apparently, so I don't enjoy those so much. I love the quieter one. We're go and be out looking at seabirds. But so, yeah, it gets on diskin There'll be a few more seasons. I'm sure it's a bit of a young man's game in some way, or young person so you ah, yeah, flattery will get you everywhere. So yeah, it's a hard physically and mentally, and you know, I go back pretty exhausted and people say, how is your holiday? And I think, yeah, right, I wish it was a holiday.
Speaker 2: And of course one of the things that you know, I don't think I appreciate it until I came is that you guys are on all the time. You're living with your customers, and then you know, presenting and dealing with trying to even stand up straight all the days, and you don't get a day in between expeditions. So we will dock and they'll clean the ship, and then these guys get back on pretty much and go straight back out.
Speaker 1: I might get a few hours in ishwe where you all go to the internet cafes and get back onto the real world for a few hours. But but no, it's there's roles and you you know, it's the moment you walk out of your cabin in the morning. It doesn't matter how you feel, if you feel sad or you feel happy, or you know you're struggling or mentally tired, physically tired. They're not paying to come to listen to me complain. They're paid to come to listen to me give my pearls a wisdom, and you've got to be on it. And the good thing is that I really like the clients. I love the guests. I mean the majority of them, ninety nine percent of guests that come on these expeditions fantastic people, really passionate, you know, and I feed off that. The problem in this industry, and you probably understand and recognize this, is that you remember the one percent. Yeah, you think they're always stand out, but yeah, people are lovely and I love talking to people from all walks of life.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the really really cool things that has come out of our chats over the past couple of days is that you have obviously been through and we call these natya like the barriers to your joy along the way, and have obviously had like an incredible traumatic experience in your journey, but have managed to turn it into something that is the most beautiful legacy that you could possibly give Julia, So tell us about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is probably one of the proudest things that I've ever done from a personal point of view. And my late partner, Julia was incredibly talented, great communicator, didn't want children, but she was magnificent with children as well. We used to go everywhere together, so especially in the tropical rainfast and we have a little creature up in the tropical rainforst called a Paddy mellon. And I used to make the joke, Oh, Julia, look there's Patti o'mellon the Irish kangaroo.
Speaker 2: And she laughed.
Speaker 1: She thought I was funny. I mean, and no wonder I was so in love with a girl. One of the few people's probably ever thought I was really funny. And anyways, one day she came to me. I think it's about two thousand and nine, she came to me and she showed me a draft of a kid's book and I read it and it's like, Julia, this is unbelievable. This is amazing. And a business partner, Tim who's the partner in the publishing company, and a dear friend, he did some sketches and everything, and of course it did. Twenty eleven was when she got sick and so, aged thirty three, she passed away Christmas twenty eleven. So you're right, you know, I was shattered and broken and the grief is horrendous, and anyone listening to this it's had a tragedy in there. I will get it. And you know, everyone recovers or deals with it differently. Grief never goes away. You know. People say it's going to get better. It doesn't. He just gets easier to manage, that's all anyway. So I wanted to do this straight after she died, but I didn't have the strength. But a few years later, I think, twenty seventeen that I'm going to get this done. So I sent it to friends, got people to edit it, went to my dear friend Daryl Dixon, and she lives down in Cardboard a couple hours away. It loves wildlife, beautiful wildlife artists. She did the illustrations. I got some people to edit it, and I printed two hundred copies of this children's book called patiomellon the Irish Kangaroo anyway, so that cost me a lot of money. By the way. I sent it to all family and friends and thinking well, at least they can have Julia's legacy. And I send it to a few publishing companies the Senate to one called e K Books in just out of Sydney, and they came back and said, we love it, we want to buy it. Well, we want it. So they did, and they reform out of a tiny bit but actually improved it. And now they own it, and so Darryl and I both buy wholesale from them. And basically I just most of them. I just give them away, I think. So I don't think I make any money on it. But it's three auditions now so and it's everyone loves it. They've got great reviews. I'm friends with Steve Backshel, you know Steve's Deadly sixty and he wrote a nice review about it, and a few other people, yeah, which has been great. It's just probably, as I said, the best thing I've ever done. But the sad part about it is I wish Julia she would have been so toughed, she would have been so pleased with herself to see it. But anyway, it's out there, and I've given you a copy now, Sara, to tell the world how wonderful it is.
Speaker 2: I feel so incredibly lucky. We're just flicking through the first time I've seen it in the flesh, and it is absolutely glorious. I am tearing up just reading it. It's so so beautiful, Martin, and I feel like it's something that the neighborhood needs to know about, like everyone is looking for, like especially my generation at the moment, we're all having kids. We're all in the first and second baby phases, and you know, beautiful Wildlife Books is the perfect thing to buy for people. So guys, I will be including the link absolutely, And there's a beautiful, beautiful dedication and photo of Julia in the back written by Martin. How was it to write that?
Speaker 1: Pretty easy? Really? In between the tears, I mean yeah, I mean it comes from my heart and it wasn't that difficult. And she was an exceptional It's exceptional and everything I mean, and I make a comment in the dedication that she had a beautiful smile and she was never happier than when she was talking about no wildlife or photographing wildlife or just being in nurse. You just had this passion for wildlife that, as I said, you know, reignited my passion for wildlife, which you know we'll never die now. So you know ten years we had together, and you know, the ten best years of my life. But you know, people say that's wonderful that you found your solve much and I just followed it with the ten worst years of my life. And people that get grateful, no, especially with Julia, I like in it too. You know, someone gives you the best drug in the world and gives you that for ten years, and then all of a sudden someone stops and says you can't have anymore. But I'm happy with career, and you know that I'm not afraid to love again. I'm sure it will happen again. Monday.
Speaker 2: Well, I really hope that everyone in the eborhood gets around this beautiful book because it is just so so gorgeous. And I'll make sure to get all the links so that we can buy copies, and I think I'll actually buy a whole heap of copies just for the yeborhood, maybe as a giveaway or something, because I want to spread the joy of this so much. And I think you're right. It's really interesting that there are experience in your life that do give you the ultimate ultimate joy and then maybe take them away, And there has to be a way for you to find the small joys back in between all those moments. So now, how do you find little moments that make you yay in the stomach, you know that little adrenaline kind of like excitement.
Speaker 1: Well, there's two main things that come to mind, and the first one is my dog.
Speaker 2: How did we not talk about this earlier? Every presentation finishes with a picture of Malaika.
Speaker 1: So, after Julia passed away on twenty eleven, I was fortunate enough to get a superannuation payout and I was able to buy a small house in cans And so I got a house in twenty twelve, and I got eleven week old labrador puppy and she's called Malaika, which is spaheely for angel. And Julia spent a lot of time with her parents in Kenya, I knew a bit of Swyhely, so it's a little And that Paddy Mellen in the back of the book of the children's book is also the original Malaika, so I like the name. So so there's a few connections there. So when I am sitting at home in my couch watching TV or something, and Malca's in her bed next to me and she's got completely upside down and all these very strange poses, there's joy, the pure joy, the fact that she just you know that, you know what dogs are like. It's unconditional love, and I love that. The second part is things. I can go back to an example from a couple of days ago, when I'm out doing this job and something incredible happens. We had a minky whale. You know, I've only seen minky's in Antarctica a few times, and usually just a fin and a bit of a blow and the scout around the ice shelf, and you don't see a lot of them. This time, this one came up and basically he came up against the little iceberg and had a good look at it. So look at us, and then thought, that's unusual, and I've seen that before. Wow, that's incredible. And then they started swimming under. There was four zaoda X all sort of just together and we were watching and Minky just started swimming under our zadios and you could see it because the water is so clear, and then came right up next to us and did this for about half an hour. And I'm thinking, some days, I think they're paying me to do this job. I've had days like that where I think, really, don't tell them, And that was one of those days. And I'm so glad because you know, we had a bit of a rough trip with weather or on this, but people got one of the best Antarctic experiences I've ever had. So it's those moments that keep driving me saying, oh, yeah, I came back to Antarctica, Drake passage and all that sort of stuff. I think, yeah, but I might get another one of those days. There's like a bit of a drag, I suppose.
Speaker 2: I will absolutely admit that there was a moment and we didn't even have a rough crossing on the way over, there was still a moment where I was like, oh my god, this like the time it takes you to get there, and looking at all these leaders who have done forty eight crossings and thinking how and then you get there and you're like, this is why it is so indescribable. And if you and I thought it would be hard to find wildlife, like I thought you'd be kind of we've done Safari and you really like it's a struggle to see certain animals anyway, and out here it's like in day one, I'd seen everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely the penguins. Of course, obviously funny that you call me a penguinologist, but the penguins are really we know where the colonies are and we know what they do. And I mean I can just pretty well put two hundred guests in front of penguins and just leave them there for an hour. I don't think anyone would be disavoided because and then you know we have got some good seal sightings. You never know what you're going to get, you know, the life is like a box of chocolates. I never know what wildlife's going to come out of the look. I've had killer whiles. We've watched them at a distance with a kill, probably a poul minky were and then they've come back to the ship and they've sort of stud performing in front of us at vocalizing just to come back and say, hey, we've had a good feed. We want to say hello and then go again. These things are just mind blowing and it's what makes Antarctica truly wonderful. But the thing about Antarctica is the thing I like the most and probably what keeps me coming down here is the pure wilderness. It's pure air, it's pure water, pure sound, it's pure wilderness. There's nowhere else you can go. I don't think in this planet where you are so far away from civilization. I mean, humans are constantly trying to completely stuff up this planet, and you go to the place where you don't see humans, you're just immersed in wildlife and wilderness. And that's what I love a lot.
Speaker 2: I think that is what makes it impossible to come here and not have some major revelation about human impact and the way that we It's very easy to dissociate from that, I think in your day to day life because you're separated from it. But here seeing how pristine it is and knowing like we've done a lot of That's why I love the presentations on this trip as well, because there's so much education that happens at the same time as seeing this Pristina. I heard yesterday there are already microplastics in the water here, and yet there is nothing. The quickest way to get here is still a two to three day drake passage on a boat. You can't fly here, and yet still plastics have made their way into the waters. So it's so huge. There's a lot of brain activity going on right now for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you know, you can watch the wonderful documentaries of the BBC Make and David Attenborough and you can to a certain extent relate to it, but when you're actually living it, like you've just done this last trip, I think it comes home. And some wonderful educators Susie gave a great talk about plastics and talk about whales and you know, all the things that people say, we don't want to lose this, and that's that's really important. And most of the people coming down here are already on board. You know, we are in some ways preaching to the converted, but it's the converted the ambassadorship that they can go back and say, hey, Antarctica is fantastic, but you know, we need to start doing some things and anything you can do, you know, start just locally, anything you can do, please do it. I mean, you know, we tell people don't buy Crewe oil stuff, you know, because we know that that's directly affecting penguin and seal populations. So even at home, and I'm sure you talk about this a lot in your field, that there's little changes can make big differences. And if we don't do it, who's going to do it?
Speaker 2: And I think those little changes, it's the same in any area any way that you want to change your life. It all happens in little changes, not necessarily the big drastic let's all. You know, I don't know, go and live off greed forever. You know, you can do smaller things along the way. Martin, this was absolutely wonderful to finish off. This is something I ask everyone because I love quotes so much. Is there a quote that you have that's your favorite?
Speaker 1: That's a good question. Look, I suppose since I know the tragedy hit by life and then I've had to bounce back, And don't get me wrong, you know that was a long, hard, difficult battle, I suppose it's now that what goes on in my head is that every day is precious. Live your best life as much as you possibly get. Don't put things off. If you want to go and see Antarctica, save up, do it, you do it now. If you want to go to the Amazon, or you want to go to Africa, or you want to go to Europe, whatever, just live your life. Don't ever put things off and say I'm going to do it. So that's not quite a quote, but it's philosophy.
Speaker 2: I suppose it's pretty much exactly the philosophy of this entire show. So that was the perfect way to end. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: For joining my pleasure. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Can you see why I fell in love with this man? The way he talks about love and legacy and wildlife just blows me away. I'm sure many of you listening will have a child in your life who could be spoiled with the magic of Patio o'melon the Irish Kangaroo, So please get behind him and grab a copy if you can. It is linked in the show notes for you directly. And Martin is just one of the many incredible expedition leaders whose brains I got to pick over our time on board, and I honestly wish we'd had longer just to sit and talk to them about what led them to their jobs in the most remote part of the world. You'll get a Reflections episode next up with and and eventually I will then piece together some more stories from the audio that we captured. I feel like this will probably be a polar podcast for a little while now, so buckle in if you have any questions too. I've been answering in as much detail as I can on Instagram, and there's a Saved Antarctica highlight that has the answers. As usual, I have written quite a few essays on some of the topics to make sure you have as much detail as I can give you, so head over there for more information. And in the meantime, I hope you're all having a wonderful week slash month slash end of the year and are seizing your yay