Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA mea podcast if you love extraordinary stories. M plus subscribers get early access to new episodes and seasons of the show. To listen to unreleased episodes right now, head to mamama dot com dot a U forward slash M plus that's mp l us, or follow the link in the episode description. As a black Mercedes pulls up outside Grovesnor House, a luxury hotel in London's Mayfair, Amy Winehouse readies herself. She's chewing gum and wearing a strapless corset zebra print mini dress by American fashion designer Betsy Johnson. It's the same dress she will during a talk show interview on British TV the week earlier. But surely no one will notice that her eyeliner is thick her hair is out. Tonight, She's a ten the British music industry's most highly regarded songwriting awards, the Ebor Novello's. She's up for Best Contemporary Song for Stronger than Me, her lead single from her debut album, Frank you should.
Speaker 2: Be stronger than You've been here seven longer than me.
Speaker 1: You should be strong good. The car comes to a halt and an usher opens the door. This is it the night that could cement her future as a bona fide songwriter. She steps onto the pavement, adjusts her dress once twice, puts her candy pink clutch underneath her armpit, and makes her way over to a crowd that's lined up outside. She signs, autographs, poses for photos, and chats with dozens of waiting fans.
Speaker 2: How are you okay?
Speaker 1: It's two thousand and four, which, in the world of music means lots of Coldplay, Diadoh, the Sugar Babes, and The Darkness Tonight. Amy's competition includes Kylie Minogue and Dizzy Rascal. At just twenty years old, she's tipped as the underdog, but in front of a room full of songwriting legends, her contemporaries, and so called industry bigwigs, Amy Winehouse wins.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I don't believe this.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Soddam.
Speaker 4: There's my picture of them.
Speaker 5: Slam is the most desporational producer I can work with.
Speaker 1: Many is surprised, but none are as shocked as she is.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: You seem genuinely surprised, are you yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, no, you know.
Speaker 6: I ain't got no words.
Speaker 1: No, Amy's winternight is just the beginning. She sets her sights on the Grammys and international acclaim, But as she heads off to celebrate her victory, is this one of the last times Amy Whitehouse would be in control of her own life?
Speaker 5: My greatest fear is probably dying with no one knowing of any contribution I'd ever made to creative music. But that's cool because I made it now. I'm already that. I'm so proud of that. You know, if I died tomorrow touch words, you know, I would still feel fulfilled it in a way.
Speaker 1: You can recognize it in an instant. That iconic voice and a candid style of songwriting beyond her years. The sound of Amy Winehouse was a sound unheard of since the days of Billie Holiday and Nina Simone. You know, the old familiar place. The name Amy Winehouse today seems to be as synonymous with talent as it is tragedy, with lyrics that tore at the heart strings and songs that story booked her life. The world watched a young woman climb to the heights of fame, only to have the darkness of her success consume her. On the mountaintop depression, eating disorders, self palm, alcohol, substance abuse, and a toxic codependent relationship. Amy Winehouse was plagued by her demons from childhood until she met her untimely end at just twenty seven years old. On this season of Extraordinary Stories, will dive deep into the life of Amy Winehouse, her rise to fame, her ar try, her pain, her loves, and her losses. What really killed Amy? Could she have been saved? And what does her death tell us of the pervasive grip of addiction and fame. I'm Emma Gillespie and this is the Amy Winehouse story. Ah too. That's the voice of fourteen year old Amy singing to her friend on a home video. She's been singing her entire life ever since she could teenage. Amie didn't yet know it, but she's not just a singer. She's a talented and prolific songwriter too. The poems she furiously scribbles in her journal, they're actually lyrics, and they're accompanying melodies already within her.
Speaker 5: And I write lyrics, I write songs, and I sing.
Speaker 7: Music played a very important role into her life from the very beginning. She was very talented as a young person and she had really big dreams of herself.
Speaker 1: That's Eleni Papa Vasiliu. She's the senior curator and collection manager at the Jewish Museum of Australia, where an exhibition all about Amy's life, put together by her brother Alex, was hosted back in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 7: It was a really beautiful and expansive show that aimed to portray Amy in a different light, I suppose, and just remind audiences of the you know, the young, ambitious and very talented young person that she was.
Speaker 1: Amy Jade Winehouse was born on the fourteenth of September nineteen eighty three at Chase Farm Hospital in Enfield in North London. Her mother Janie and her father Mitch had already become parents a few years earlier, when Amy's brother Alex was born. A Lenni says music played an important role in Amy's life right from the very start.
Speaker 7: Through her father's, mother's and grandmother's influence. Actually, her father was a taxi driver and her mother was a pharmacist, so you know, her upbringing was humble but incredibly ambitious.
Speaker 1: The white Houses had lived in London since the eighteen nineties, when Amy's great great grandfather arrived from Belarus thinking it was New York.
Speaker 7: Her grandparents, who had roots from Belarus, Russia and Poland, emigrated to the UK in the nineteen hundreds. Specifically, Amy's great grandfather, Harris, emigrated from Minsk in eighteen ninety one, and he was one of millions of Jews that had to flee Eastern Europe to destinations like Britain, South Africa, the US, even Australia and the late nineteenth century early twentieth century.
Speaker 1: Like many Jewish immigrant families of the day, they came through London's poor East End before settling in the fairly Jewish area of Southgate in London's northern suburbs. Amy's dad, Mitch, told the BBC in two thousand and eight that the first few years of Amy's life were happy.
Speaker 8: You know, my kids, you know, they grew up in you know, in a large extended family as I did as a child, you know, and they were surrounded by music and love and laughter, and we just all had a good time, as we continue to do now. Smashing kid.
Speaker 1: Young Amy attended Hebrew school every weekend and every Sunday she would beg her father not to make her go.
Speaker 7: It's not a typical of children that grow up in diverse cultural backgrounds. To show a degree of resistance, you know, to weekend activities and have to do with engaging with a cultural heritage is not uncommon. But Amy's family was not actually religious. They observed some of the traditions and customs, but their experience and the way that they expressed their Jewish identity sits within the great diverse of how people define themselves and express those customs and how they observe those traditions.
Speaker 1: While as a Lenny describes, the Winehouse family wasn't particularly religious, they held weeklish about dinners at Amy's grandmother's home. They were a close knit and fairly spirited lot. In a handwritten application to the Sylvia Young Theater School teenage, Amie wrote, all my life, I have been loud to the point of being told to shut up. The only reason I have had to be this loud is because you have to scream to be heard. In my family.
Speaker 7: There was a lot of accounts about how several guests musicians are the friends of Amy's would also sit through some of those dinners. So I think that those traditions and her jewishness. The way that they were observed connected to her heritage and her ancestors, something that she was really very fond of, as she was very interested in her own family history.
Speaker 1: By the time she was primary school aged, Amy was described by friends and family as boisterous and defiant, notoriously good at getting her way.
Speaker 4: Teachers complained when she was ten years old, you know, she couldn't be quiet in class and she was always wanting to sing.
Speaker 1: That's doctor Peter Hughes. He's a UK based psychologist, philosopher and writer. Peter says it was clear from a very early age that Amy was a rebel. Her parents didn't know how to say no to her, but there was always one person who could. Amy's paternal grandmother, Cynthia, who became a steady stalwart of Amy's life. A flamboyant character who taught Amy to read tarot cards and even allowed her and her older brother Alex to smoke around her.
Speaker 7: She was particularly close to Cynthia. Cynthia's described as very glamorous and dependent, stylish woman. That was even a mention in the exhibition that she dated musician Ronnie Scott in the nineteen forties. And that she loved jazz herself. So it's really interesting to see how how you know, that spirit, that dynamic energy that Amy had herself finds its roots back to this woman as her love for music. There were some old photographs of Cynthia and the exhibition, so you know there was a connection there. There was actually quite a close resemblance, but also a connection to Amy's distinctive style and her sense of fashion.
Speaker 1: Cynthia's love for all things jazz and mid century music rubbed off on Amy quickly. Her grandmother introduced her to the sounds of Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, voices that inspired Amy's lifelong love affair with music.
Speaker 5: Like singing on stage, it's like breathing, like I'm probably most of peace when I'm singing on stage.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just a love for old world music that Amy shared with her grandmother, Cynthia. Amy became enamored with gangster films, the Godfather franchise. She'd tell her friends as a kid how she fantasized about life as a gangster's wife. But beyond their bond over music, Cynthia came a dependable shoulder for Amy, to lean on during her parents' divorce when she was just nine years old. Amy's dad, Mitch Weinehouse, had been having an affair with a colleague for most of young Amy's life before he and her mother, Janis, eventually split. It was a turning point for Amy, and the years to come saw a strained relationship with her father. The collapse of her family unit, and the toilet took on her would become clearer over time, but almost immediately she began acting out in school. It's a pain that Amy would eventually write about through song.
Speaker 4: This is a preview pessant girl. She's growing up, she's finding her identity, you know, at the age of ten, you know, she teachers couldn't control her at school, and she was always singing, and she formed her first band, a first rap band called Sweet and Sour, And she was on this kind of path. And who knows how traumatic she felt that For all we know, it might have been deeply and profoundly traumatic, and meant much of her behavior may have been synonymous with or exhibiting symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. Because for a nine year old girl to watch her parents split, we don't know how her affections were distributed between them. We don't know whether the extent to which our world fell apart, but I think it's fair to assume that warring parents and a messy divorce at the age of nine is not psychologically healthy for anybody, male or female, and it wasn't psychologically healthy for Amy.
Speaker 1: Doctor Peter Hughes says it's fair to assume the divorce of Amy's parents would have been corrosive on a nine year old girl. A clue to the impacts of that pain were found years later by Amy's older brother.
Speaker 4: He said that she kept tucked away in a drawer all her life, preserved perfectly a school jumper from her primary school. And that's actually quite fascinating because amidst all the chaos, all the madness, all the trauma, all the violence, some of it inflicted on or some of itself inflicted, that she hung onto this and maybe it was talismanic for her. Maybe it was an anchor for her, something to keep her grounded to something that was essential, and perhaps hoping one day that they might be stronger than an addiction.
Speaker 1: Those who knew Amy, people like Russell Brand, recognized quickly how talented she was the unlikeliness of that huge voice from that tiny frame, an element of surprise that sparked intrigue everywhere she went and every place she sang.
Speaker 6: Because she was a jazz singer, right, I was like, who gives a shit about Jack? Like, you know, she was sort of around there, and I thought she was sort of sweet and lovely and unusual and strange, but I didn't pay that much attention. Then I went into the roundhouse and she like did some sort of drop in thing, and like just hearing her sing before seeing, you know, when going up trying to get into a venue her the voice was so unbelievable and powerful and then like, yeah, I saw it for what it was. I saw it for what it was. She was a channel man, Like that's what you get from certain people. They're channeling. You see it in sport, and you see it in art, like no one can do that. You can't do that.
Speaker 7: She was a young person and that was really ambitious, had really big dreams about herself and chased those dreams and really made something out of herself through her beautiful talent and her big voice.
Speaker 1: And as Eleni Papa Vasiliu from the Australian Jewish Museum. Discovered as a teenager, Amy found inspiration from all music genres.
Speaker 7: We had a playlist on loop, a soundtrack and the exhibition from a tape that she called Songs from a Chill Out tape that included Frank Sinatra to Pearl Jam and the Offspring, so some of her favorite songs.
Speaker 1: When Amy struggled to conform in the environment of a mainstream school, she took matters into her own hands. But helping Amy to realize her potential via the conventional means of vocal training, it was no easy feat.
Speaker 4: She managed to arrange her own audition to get into a Sylvia Young Theater school in London.
Speaker 1: I think when she was fourteen, aspiring young performers all over the UK treamped of getting into Sylvia Young. It was the school for hope, future starts. Could this be it Amy's big break? Her lift off moment from the launchpad of a prestigious performing arts academy, Well not quite. Amy was eventually asked to leave. She flouted uniform rules by wearing a nose ring, and despite a powerfully intellectual mind, she didn't care a bit for academia.
Speaker 4: She got expelled from there. So there's always been a kind of a rebellious, rebellious streak to em your own house.
Speaker 1: But it didn't slow Amy down, and before long she was accepted into the prestigious Brits School. Sure enough, though the ever defiant, willful Amy dropped out. By sixteen, she was working part time and performing with jazz groups.
Speaker 5: When I was about eighteen, I've started playing gigs. I just played pub gigs.
Speaker 2: I've had some songs.
Speaker 4: I just to pup gigs.
Speaker 5: I'm going with my with my strata or something. You just played pub gig.
Speaker 1: But beneath the facade of bravado and ambition, teenage Amy was in the throes of more than one silent battle as patterns of self destructive behavior began to emerge. When Amy told her mother she'd discovered a great new diet, it would eventually manifest into an eating disorder, and at fourteen, Amy was diagnosed with depression and prescribed antidepressants as her behavior grew ever erratic.
Speaker 4: Amy's vulnerabilities tell us a lot about her state of mind, really, because these were multiple vulnerabilities, you know, anxiety, self harm, eating disorders, depression. This is an enormous amount for anybody to cope with psychologically and her history of eating disorders. Her brother Alex said in an interview that that all the girls on her her estate were all filling themselves up and vomiting it out, but Amy never stopped the other girls. Most the other girls stopped, they moved on. Amy never did.
Speaker 1: It was through her music, her songwriting that Amy sought to self soothe, and eventually it would captivate fans. Fans like writer Polly Taylor, Muma MIA's commissioning editor.
Speaker 9: She was so real, so raw, like every lyric, every song was a story that she was telling you about her life.
Speaker 5: Could you know I've been three times where I've been so fucked up about a situations that I've had to just be like write everything down, you know, even feelings that I don't want to acknowledge, especially feelings I don't want to acknowledge, and things that I wish were not true and they are. And you know, it's just good because someone else might hear that and be like, I'm not an idiot for feeding any things.
Speaker 1: By the time she'd reached adolescentce, Amy was feeling lost and directionless. She knew her life's purpose was to sing, but she didn't know how or if she could make a career of it until a chance meeting with a man called Nick Schiminsky that would change everything, a guy who'd become a rare force for good in Amy's ever complex life.
Speaker 6: Nick Joy is Amy your favorite during girl.
Speaker 10: At from your Mum, I don't know what you're playing at you.
Speaker 2: There was very much I love you.
Speaker 1: She was sixteen and he was nineteen. Both of them were sort of as clueless as each other. Sure, Nick was working in the industry, but even he since admitted he didn't really know what he was doing. Nick was managing an artist called Tyler James at the time. It was Tyler who convinced Nick he had to hear Amy sing. In an interview with The Guardian in twenty fifteen, Nick recounted his first phone call with Amy, one where he pretended to be a hot shot manager that could make things happen. But Amy didn't.
Speaker 7: Go for it.
Speaker 10: Obviously she thought I was a wanker. She made it very clear. I realized humor was the backup plan, and that's how we connected.
Speaker 2: Time.
Speaker 10: She was saying she had absolutely no interest in making music. I got this package through the post with a demo tape with two songs on, and the Jiffy bag was covered in stickers of hearts and kisses and had Amy scribbled all over it about one hundred times. It didn't fit with the girl who didn't want to be noticed. I put it on in my car and it blew my mind. As soon as producers heard her, they were in from the off. She was very funny, very blunt. She was different.
Speaker 1: She was a personality, and so a friendship and partnership blossomed. By age twenty, Amy was on the cusp of achieving her dreams. After years of scribbling lyrics of her innermost thoughts onto notepads in her bedroom, she recorded a studio album. It would be called Frank.
Speaker 2: Help You, If You help yourself.
Speaker 9: I would absolutely describe myself as a huge Amy House fan. I was thinking about this, and I feel like there aren't many artists where you can remember where you were the first time you heard their voice. But I remember it so clearly. I think I was about seventeen or eighteen. I had a friend who was studying or working in music. She was super into her music. Got in her car and she was like, you have to hear this new artist. Put a CD in because obviously that's how long ago this was. It was a CD and it must have been the Frank album. I can't remember what song it was, but the second I heard her voice, I was like, Oh my god, who is this? This is something special? And yeah, from that moment I was just obsessed.
Speaker 5: Literally. They said, we'll give you all the studio time you want. I said, why would you do that and they were like, because you're going to make an album for us and we'll make a return off that. And I was like, yeah, okay, right, I see that.
Speaker 1: And on the twentieth of October two thousand and three, Frank was released. In the days after Amy's dad, Mitch, was on a shift behind the wheel of a cab before he stuck, brought upon a billboard of his daughter. Here's what he told the BBC about it. Back in two thousand and.
Speaker 8: Eight, Amy's album came out, the first album, Frank. It was October two thousand and three and we were driving through London and there was this massive poster up on the wall with Amy with Frank, and I said to the bloke behind, I said, I said, here mate. I said, shaid that picture over there. He said yeah, I said, that's my daughter. He said, do me a favor, will you? He said, I'm on the phone. He said, do you mind. He said, I'm trying to. I'm trying to. He said I'm not interested. He said, just drive and I thought, well it is.
Speaker 1: It was rude. Frank climbed the UK charts immediately. Amy set off on to work captivating audiences around Europe with her other worldly sound Here's Polly again.
Speaker 9: The first time I saw her was not that long after the first time i'd heard her the Frank album, and it was completely by chance. I was in Harrogate, which is a northern town in the UK. I was there for a writer's festival and I was in this tiny little hotel and I walked up to the reception and there was a sign on the reception desk that said Amy Wynehouse Tickets for tonight sixteen pounds that's about thirty dollars. I was like, oh my god, I'm going. So I just bought a ticket and went that night. And it was a tiny little venue. I was probably in like the second or the third row, and it was just absolutely incredible. Like, hearing that voice in person is even more of an experience than hearing it on a record. Her band were amazing. She was just like chatting like you were her best mate in between songs. It was just one of the most memorable gigs I've ever been to, Absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: Amy wasn't anything like the pop star songstresses of the day, as Mark Ronson described in a twenty fourteen ted X talk. Her voice, her look, the be high, the eyeliner, it entranced us.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt that Amy had this love for this gospel soul and blues and jazz that was evident listening to the musical arrangement. So it was she brought the ingredients that made it urgent and of the time.
Speaker 1: If Amy Weinhouse could make magic in a recording studio, what she brought to those early live performances, it was nothing short of enchantment.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I had a friend of mine who saw Amy perform at a university in the.
Speaker 11: UK when Amy might have been eighteen and she herself was a musician, and she said she came out of that thinking, I've just seen something unbelievable. I have never seen a performance liner from such a slight, tiny woman, this enormous power, this incredibly soulful voice.
Speaker 1: The critical acclaim rolled in hard and fast too. The New York Times described Frank as a glossy admixture of breezy funk, dub and jazz infected soul. The Guardian described her sound as somewhere between Nina's Amone Rikabadu. The Times called the album a staggeringly assured, sit up and listen debut, both commercial and eclectic, accessible and uncompromising. It was a hit, and despite the comparisons to the booming voices of motown legends, Amy became an unlikely soul star. She may have written and sung with the maturity and heartache of a seasoned blues matriarch, but Amy had written much of that album as a teenager. Now she was a petite young woman who the music world couldn't look away from. But the very best and the very worst was still yet to come for Amy Whitehouse.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying you can be hounded by the press, but you're gonna have certain responsibilities.
Speaker 7: They are going to come onto your doorstep that you may not.
Speaker 2: Particularly oay, And that's cool.
Speaker 5: But I think the more people see of me, the more they realize that all I'm good for is making tunes.
Speaker 7: So leave me alone and I'll do it.
Speaker 1: While it would go on to inspire her most renowned body of work and skyrocket hurty international fame, a toxic love affair was awaiting Amy, the grip of which would hold her so tightly it would crush her completely.
Speaker 4: So you have this extraordinary talent and at the same time, you've got this immense capacity for self destruction. So when she got it together with Blake, I mean, the scenes in the tableaus that were double Paige spread front page news inside front page news, and everybody knew where it was going to end.
Speaker 9: She wasn't with us very long, but she was entirely authentic in every single wayment that she was.
Speaker 1: Next time on Extraordinary Stories, Amy Winehouse has every success she's ever dreamt of at her fingertips, and in two thousand and five she meets the man of her dreams. His name is Blake feel.
Speaker 4: The civil Blake's mother said, you know that they're both as bad as each other, and to some degree that was true. But for Amy, she said, you know, he was my soulmate. He was a male version of me.
Speaker 1: Through throws of pain and joy. Amy will find inspiration from her deepest sorrows to produce her most poignant art, and nothing would ever be the same.
Speaker 8: Will you accept what I say when I say that she's doing great. She's working on a new album and she can't wait to get back into it again.
Speaker 1: Between her love for Blake and her adoration for her father, we'll investigate how the men in Amy's life both inspired and tormented her.
Speaker 12: I don't think her father's intentions were ever bad, but you know there's clearly along the way lots of people made bad judgment calls that maybe weren't the right calls for Amy.
Speaker 8: He said that he introduced Amy to Class A drugs. She took to it like a duck to water.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to this episode of Extraordinary Stories. It was written and produced by me Emma Gillespie with Callieborg and Tea Usage. Audio production is by Madelin Joannu. The next episode of Extraordinary Stories will be released next week. If you don't want to wait, you can listen right now by following the link in the episode description or by heading to mammamea dot com dot a U forward slash M plus Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gatagul people of the Eor Nation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander cultures.