Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gatagul people of the Eor nation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Rate islander cultures.
Speaker 3: Hi, friend, it's Miya. As a former listener of the tell Me It's going to Be Okay podcast, I have some good news for you. In the lead up to the US election, Amelia Lester is joining me on Mamma Mia out Loud each week to unpack all the batshit crazy stuff Trump's been doing. Just like old times, starting today, we'll be putting all those episodes through this feed full disclosure. Some are behind a paywall, but if you do want to subscribe and listen, it's equivalent to about a cup of coffee each month, and it helps us, as an independent media company, pay our staff and make podcasts for you. Here's a taste of yesterday's episode, so you can try before you buy.
Speaker 1: Okay. The first thing you need to know is that I got a text from a friend yesterday and I'm going to read it in its entirety. This is a friend in the US. Imagine it's twenty twelve, Barack Obama was just reelected, and you receive this article from the future. This is an article from the Washington Post. There's nothing in this world that could convince you it's real. I still don't believe it's a reported story from a real event. Would you like to know how I would? I should stop and say, no, it's not an assassination attempt, though that did happen. That's that's even we'll get to that. This is a surprising thing. This is the headline. Trump sways and bops to music for thirty nine minutes in bizarre episode. So, all right, what happened here? Because I've seen tweets about it, and sometimes.
Speaker 2: You just look at it and you go, oh, I'm sure everyone's exaggerating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, I have never read an article in the New York Times where the reporter was so clearly confused yet still had to write an article and describe what happened. So what happened was Trump was doing a rally in you guessed at Pennsylvania because basically that's the one state where everyone's going to the next couple of weeks it is deciding the election. He was at a town hall in Pennsylvania and then two people needed medical attention, which is also not surprising because the median age at his rallies tends to be somewhere around seventy five. They needed the medical attention, and he was sort of waiting to see what happened there, and then he decided he wasn't going to talk about small business or the economy or inflation anymore. He just wanted to listen to some music. So he was said that song that he does whe where he does his little fist. Yes, that extremely well. Yes, y m c h.
Speaker 4: To dance to that on the stage show and we are not dances and we did a better job than Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Anyway, there was a lot of fist dancing. So for thirty nine minutes, Yeah, he played his greatest hits. He played Walliam Ca, He played Ave Maria twice. That's a down ut, which which I think is a diagram between Donald Trump and Muriel Heslop is that they both love the song are Vey Maria. What's interesting is he can't play a lot of the songs he wants to play these days because artists keep sending him seasoned desists. So he used to love the Rolling Stones song you Can't Always Get what you want. They sent him a season desist, James Brown, it's a man's man's man's well.
Speaker 4: That would be a big.
Speaker 1: Snead O'Connor performing. Nothing compares to you, Now I know. If there's one politician Shinetdo kinda loves, it's absolutely Donald.
Speaker 4: Trump spinning in her grave speak.
Speaker 1: Yes, sorry, past tense. Yes. So anyway, it was a really odd episode. No one really knows what to make of it. But he had another odd episode this week because he was at a rally in Arizona and he said that he wanted to we think he was saying Assyrians for Trump, but he said in such a way that it sounded like Ascerasians, and no one really know what he meant, and so there were various theories. People said, could he have met Arizonans? Could he have meant Azerbaijan's. But then eventually the case was cracked. There was a group of people in red t shirts that read Assyrians for Trump. Assyrians are, of course, and ancient people who trace their roots to northern Iraq, Syria, Turkey and Iran. The Facebook group Assyrians for Trump only has one hundred and thirty six members, so it's not a hugely important swing group in this election. He's clashing it through us.
Speaker 4: So I've seen a lot of people say that this is further evidence of his cognitive decline. Other People were saying he didn't like the questions that were being asked. Others are saying he's avoiding making gaffes like my.
Speaker 2: Numbers with the black and especially black men.
Speaker 1: I love black men, I love them, I love them. I have gone through the roof with black men.