Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting Out Loud. This is the podcast for parents who don't always listen to parenting type podcasts. Instead, we like to take a look at the news and culture and trends and kind of put our little microscope on it and go, mmm, what does this all mean? And why does parenting feel so hard?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: It's not your fault, that's the top line. It's not your fault. I'm Monique Bolli, I'm Amelia Lesta, and I am not Stacy Hickause.
Speaker 2: I am grac Ery Bray back again. Gross yay, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I hope you guys are surviving ushy season, happy ushi season that we laugh. We've had the Comm Games recently, we've had the World Cup, we've had the Tour de France. But in my house, the great competition is for the ushi.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's wild.
Speaker 3: Now is the ushi an erasa?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Is that true? Because my children are telling me things about them and I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know either, but I was thinking reflecting.
Speaker 3: On this, I actually don't know what they are.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 5: I might have a one year old, but so obviously she's not interested in them. But they're in my house still because my husband is.
Speaker 2: Interested in them.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's like, oh, we can get one of those ushes and husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's working. It's cross generational. Amelia, you are the flocked bulls eye of my life. I need you to know that.
Speaker 2: Do you know what that means?
Speaker 1: No, blocked bull's.
Speaker 2: Eye is the rarest or. She it's you.
Speaker 3: You're a rare stick on the top of a pencil.
Speaker 2: And have me rush something out.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, what are we talking about today?
Speaker 5: Well, from enjoy this newborn bubble to you only have eighteen summers with your children? When does the pressure of nostalgia become too much?
Speaker 3: And should book week be canceled? I want to have a debate.
Speaker 1: I'm ready. I'm cracking my knuckles.
Speaker 3: I was on that debating team in high school.
Speaker 1: I'm just feeling shit. Yeah, I'm gonna lease all right? And are you a dishwasher? Dad? Theory that we cannot stop thinking about. But first, in case you missed it, we like to just take a scroll through the algorithm and see what's kind of popping up and around in the news. And I want to start out with a little Ossie Hollywood parenting story. So This is from the House of Kidman. Nicole Kidman, her daughter, Sunday Rose is evidently a really famous model. I don't know if you knew this, but she's like Catwalk Coture, she models for Deal. She's very high up right. But the story this week was that Nicole was talking to Entertainment tonight and she told this story about how before Sunday Rose started modeling, Nicole went to her mum and said, Mum, Sunday Rose wants to, you know, be a model. Do you think I should let her? And Nicole Kidman's mother said, yeah, you have to because I let you, And so Nicole Kidman's mum. At fourteen, Nicole really wanted to become an actress. Her mum said, look, if you want to follow your passion, then absolutely, let's make.
Speaker 2: It happen for you. You should do it.
Speaker 1: So that's why Nicole Kidmen started acting. Her mum kind of gave her the green light, and Nicole Kidman described it as her mother Janelle's parting gift. I also read that Sunday Roses big catwalk debut, her big sort of Courtua catwalk debut came just one week after Janelle died, so poetic.
Speaker 3: I love Nicole Kidman's the way she talks about her relationship with both of her parents. She was obviously very close to both of them, and she's also written beautifully about about grief and how difficult it's been in the wake of her parents passing in the Nine Newspapers fairly recently. That said, can I admit I feel a tiny bit conflicted about the idea of yes, pursue your passions no matter what at age fourteen, because you know, setting aside the fact that obviously Nicole Kidmen's mother did an amazing job raising her, and I'm sure is also doing an amazing job raising her children. Just speaking for myself here, I'd be worried about the idea that modeling is such an exploited of industry. It's predicated on values that might put a lot of pressure on young people at an impressionable age. I don't know. I just it got me thinking, is what I'll say. It got me thinking about whether I would I would follow that advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that might be true.
Speaker 1: But she's also an Aussie, right, and Aussie models do it differently. Amelia like el McPherson, blaze the trail like we're good. We're good, and she's got all those really good family structures around her. Yeah, that's true, but keep the faith.
Speaker 5: What do you think about if they want if your child wanted to get into like rugby and like the because that's one of the things that we think about of contact sports and CTE, like, if they go, well, that's my dream, but I would be hesitant about that. Do you feel similar, Like is it just the modeling toxicity that gives you anxiety around that, or would you feel similarly if it was a contact sport.
Speaker 3: Now it's a really good question because my son has been playing rugby this season and I hate it so much and I won't go to the games now they happen to also be very early on a Saturday morning. That it has nothing to do with it, it does make me really uncomfortable. So I guess I've answered your question with Ultimately, it's really hard to say no to your children when they want to do something, And maybe that's what Nicole's mum was kind of getting at, like, if you stand in the way of your child's dream, they can find a way around you. You may as well offer them your blessing and your cooperation. In case you missed it, the AI bros are determined to find ways for your children to get more dependent on AI. Sam Altman, who was the head of Open AI, who became a father last year, he wrote something on social media a few days ago that the Internet got kind of angry at him for he wrote, cool use of chat GPT, I heard last night. Connect your family calendars and explain your kids interests every morning for the drive to school. Have it make a podcast that talks about one kid's soccer game that afternoon, one kid's upcoming birthday, some news, etc. The top tweet in response reads, what if you just talk to your children? Now? Obviously I agree with this, and I find AI creepy and scary, But to be completely real with you for a second, my kids would love this so much more than me talking to them.
Speaker 2: They just would.
Speaker 5: I find that disappointing because I don't believe that you're a very interesting person, Amelia, But I take issue with Sam Altonman as a human being.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: That's cool, though, Grace, because he's a bit of a friend of the pod. We talked on this podcast a while back about how he said that he didn't know how anyone raised children before Ai.
Speaker 2: Oh so how is Ai really raising children?
Speaker 3: He's making podcast?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, well, also that's what I do as a job. That's that's ironic.
Speaker 5: So he did say in his ex profile he says Ai is cool, I guess, and he's non capitalized the I in I guess which people have said that Sam Bltman just likes to be cool and it's cool to not capitalize things. So he's really trying to connect with the people, which makes me feel like cool, but it makes me feel like he's more of a robot than an actual human being. He might be this whole companion podcast for parents and kids. These actually already exist without chat GPT having to make them. We have them here at Muma Mea. It's called That's Incredible Stories to Share with Kids, and about four people made it.
Speaker 2: So I just wanted to plug that. I don't like this.
Speaker 5: Technology can create something for you to share, or you can outsource it technology to yeah to create a connection. I just but I'm one of these people, to quote Kleare Stevens from Muma Mer out Loud podcast, because I don't trust people who have a heart on for Ai and I am one of those people.
Speaker 1: I think this is inspirational. I think I might get AI to make me a podcast. Here's an idea. It's Father Christmas every day on the drivers school being like, I'm watching you, I saw what you did yesterday out.
Speaker 2: So you're using it as an emotional weapon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what the big tech guys are doing. Maybe on Ard.
Speaker 3: Sam wasn't the only tech billionaire who offered some parenting tips this week, so a San Francisco based tech ceo they all called Nicholas Charaier offered his own idea. He writes this was also an ex of course, Toddler spent her first night ever sleeping with someone else in the same room, her Toddler cousin. They of course spoke for over an hour in a very nonsensical Toddler dialect, going over important questions about themselves, life in the universe, recorded everything in high quality by sneaking a mic in there. Gave the very long recording to Claude, which is an AI agent. No built a private web page for the whole family with the audio split into clips, all named and trimmed Your joy from everyone. AI is pretty great.
Speaker 5: Isn't this illegal to record? Illegal without their knowledge. I mean, you can't get Todd let Ustart a consent form, but still there is some type of Big brother creepiness happening there.
Speaker 3: I've got an idea for everyone in San Francisco who's running a multi billion dollar AI company, Play your kids parenting out Loud, a wholesome mix of reportage and commentary on issues that are important to them.
Speaker 2: That's a good sales pitch.
Speaker 3: So we make a big deal on this show about how we are not like other parenting podcasts. So it's for that reason. I'm not gonna belabor the fact that book Week is coming up. I'm not gonna win sure about it. I'm not gonna bitch. I'm not gonna moan about how my kids refuse to come up with a costume that is not in fact from a book, but is rather a movie character or a soccer player. No, I'm not gonna do any of those things. Instead, what we like to do on this show is go thinky and deep. And I read an eye about Bookweek that went thinky and deep. It was called Book Week's Quiet Equity Problem, and it was in The Educator Australia. But before we get to that, thinky deep peace, Grace. I see you looking a little bit confused. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, I do have a one year old, so I'm not quite at the stage of book Week, and I guess the way I approach this is with whimsy, because everything is new, everything is a first, everything is delightful, like she's, you know, pointing at things and making me go over to them.
Speaker 2: And at the moment, that's delightful.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure within even a month that's going to start to wait and be a little bit annoying. So when I think about book Week, I think of that sounds wonderful. That sounds wonderful, And I guess I don't know the politics of it, and I do want to take this opportunity to get some forecasting from you both.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, one of my first questions is is it actually a whole week? Are we talking five costumes or are we talking one?
Speaker 3: Good question? Just one right. I don't know how you do things in South Australia. You might have like five costumes there.
Speaker 1: Oh god, no, no, I think it runs for an entire week. I guess your school or your early education center or your KINDI would choose a day, select a day, and then there is a parade and a celebration. And also I think the school runs other kind of things that aren't front facing, like within the week they might run Little Vincent, the library or things like that. The super Bowl, the super Bowl moment, the AFL Grand Final is the parade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's generally term three ish, okay, term three ish, So it's coming up for it certainly in New South Wales and I don't know about other states, but it's coming up in New South Wales. So it is on the radar of parents, and they are starting to freak out.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, because when you say freak out, is there a personality divide in a who purchases a costume versus who makes me?
Speaker 3: Yes, you're looking at the personality divide.
Speaker 2: This is literally the divide.
Speaker 5: I'm inter se of the Venn diagram meets correct.
Speaker 3: I mean, Mon's how long have you had your Bookweek costumes planned for at this point? Is there a Facebook group called Bookweek Costumes Galore that you're a member of.
Speaker 1: There's not, but I've been thinking about since January.
Speaker 2: She's going to start for Facebook.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about since January because my vision, here's my vision.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 1: So in previous years I did The Enormous Crocodile, which is a classic book in this house, Rolldaal the original version, and I handmade a giant crocodile costume, including a helmet that had like a large Quentin Blake esque cardboard crocodile head on it. And it was it was a beautiful thing. It was a beautiful piece of art. I had a sewing gin, I had the hot glue gun. I spread myself out in a lounge room. I was loving myself sick. And this is my dilemma, is because I'm that mother that runs like off, for God's sake, did you have to?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I love it. I love it, Grace, I enjoy it. It's a craft outlet for me. Oh God, I know how this sounds.
Speaker 3: I think this nicely segs into the problem with bookwek Like, I think that's wonderful Mond's but I think that it brings up the issue of how different the book week experience can be for different parents. And so this article in The Educator, the author is coming from an unusual angle because she says she runs a business that helps families come up with costumes. Oh and she writes, I don't think bookwek Costume Day is really a costume problem. It is a communication and equity problem. She says. A family with time, money and a craft cupboard can turn short notice into a fun project, but a parent working late shifts, a family watching every dollar, A child new to Australia who does not yet know the classic characters will experience it very differently.
Speaker 5: And do you feel like the kids like when you're kids have participated, do they talk about other people's costumes? Or is the dialogue between parents going like.
Speaker 2: You notice question what other kids are doing and you kind of make a judgment of.
Speaker 3: The pression ones. I don't know what do you think? Do you think the kids feel competitive?
Speaker 1: Not at all? And I don't even know that the parents do either. My experience of it has just been one joyful, whimsical laugh fest. But you're not aware of the gym's out there, but you're aware that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that you have friends for whom bookweek is not a joyfest, right, who find it to be a source of pressure and stress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I think that's very true. And I think that this is what I loved about this article is that it's very real that families who are watching every dollar. The line that really got me was, as you said, Amelia, a child new to Australia who doesn't know the classic characters, who doesn't know the language, ye, who doesn't have easy access to online shopping or shops you know, is going to They're going to experience it really really differently.
Speaker 3: The comparison for me is Halloween, because that's another opportunity for kids to dress up in costumes. And we've litigated Halloween on the show before. Mons and I famously almost came to blows on the subject, but then she came round to my point of view because I was on the debating team and now likes Halloween. The thing that is the difference between Halloween and Book Week is that Halloween is optional. It's celebrated outside of school, and it's an opt in activity that isn't highlighting difference in a place where everyone's meant to be on a level playing field.
Speaker 1: I'm going to protect Book Week at all costs because I think there are ways to make the playing field more equal, and we will get to that. But I do think reading has bad pr around it. It needs Book Week more than ever it is competing against screens, it's competing against dwindling attention spans. We've talked about the decline of reading on this show before, and the thing I love about Bookweek, I think is that it is one of the last kind of commercial free spaces that children have in a world where it does feel like brands are pushed on kids all the time. They're increasingly being sold products where their attention is just being relentlessly pursued by screens and technology. It's this kind of one space, this one beautiful little space that just asks nothing of them except like, what book do you love? And that is so wholesome, it's so pure, it must be protected.
Speaker 3: When you put it that way, it is really beautiful. But at least in my experience, very few kids are actually dressing up as books.
Speaker 2: What do they dress up as?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: Can you does it just become a fancy dress thing of Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like I said, it's like a soccer star or a TV character or a movie character. A lot of star wars, a lot of a lot of I think we'll see a lot of sports this year, particularly with the World Cup. I totally get that on as just do you really think that this point it's about books, even yes it is.
Speaker 1: And to that point, there's this great article on the conversation I read a couple of weeks ago from an early childhood literacy expert who says, actually, that's great. We want children to read and dress up. If their book, if the book they're carrying on the day is a book about line or messy or a book about star Wars, then that's great too, because you just have to provide reading for kids whatever facet they're interested in. I want to talk about how sport always gets to day, Amelia, because if you take the argument against what we should cancel book week because it's this, it's not equal, it's not entirely equal. No one ever says let's cancel sports day because some parents can't you know, some kids have better shoes. I can't cope with finding a red scrunchy or red hairsprays for the red.
Speaker 3: Rum faster than other kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So instead, what we do with the sports day because we know that there are kids who can't run like Kathy Freeman, and who can't throw a ball, and so what they do is they make it more inclusive. You have novelty events you have events where you just have to throw a beanbag into a bucket, or you get points for cheering really loudly or showing good sportsmanship. So I think that's the argument for kind of like changing the rules around bookwek that and this article that you brought today does talk about several different ways in which you can make the playing field of Bookweek a little more equal. And one of them is like giving parents plenty of notice. The other one is to stop giving the grand prize to the best costume, make it sort of the best homemade costumes, does homemade props?
Speaker 3: Does your school do prizes for bookweek ones? Because mine doesn't. I was surprised that that was even the thing.
Speaker 5: See, I quite like there no prizes, it's just about participation in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the other thing that I really liked in this article is that the school should just keep a little spare box of kind of costume pieces for any kids that forget or kids that have access to a costume, so that they feel included on the day as well.
Speaker 3: I love that. Did you dodge my question on what's happening this year? Or do you not want to unveil it yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's My dulama is that my vision was grug, a giant grug, and the way I was going to do it was like varying sizes of hoops so that the grugs When you put the grug on, it expands into a giant grug with paper like sort of a giant with streamers flowing off it. My children don't want to be grug. They don't want to be Grug.
Speaker 5: Okay, I think this is the most beautiful idea ones because again over one year old, she's obsessed with the book Grug, like I don't know what it is like like it might be the shape of it or the like the colors on it, but she always brings that book.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of storyline to it.
Speaker 1: He's the king of Australian literature. Hey, Grace, do you think side note that Grug and the snake have some frije on?
Speaker 2: Well going on?
Speaker 5: I think I've only got the New South Wales free free book of Grug that I was given in like my little pack, and it's just the one about how grug becomes grug.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't do for a son in New South Wales.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Australia, Yeah, I don't know if I'm not imagining he's only found just found his hut.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: With the grug dream dashed and my workload ever increasing in my life and I'm dropping every ball all over the place, It's probably going to be a kmart costume for us this ye, And I'm okay with that. That's fine, that's great.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: If you've been on TikTok or reels this week, you might have seen this clip about how to spot a dishwasher dad. It's this comedian Mary Beth Barone, and she has a special on Netflix. She does this bit about white dads, and she says, there's two types. You've either got the dad who cares deeply about how the dishwasher is loaded, or you've got the dad who cheats on your mum.
Speaker 4: Have a listen to this, and most specially I talk about how there's two tapes of weight dads. You either have a weight dad who cares how you load the dishwasher, or you have a white dad that cheats on your mom. I grew up with a dishwasher dad. I'm very privileged. So if you're dating someone and you want to look out for some indications that they might one day grow into a dishwasher, Dad, I would honestly say, if they collect things to a reasonable extent, maybe not like leaning into the hoarding, or honestly if they like build stuff with legos, also reasonable. It shouldn't take up like half of the living room. But if they have like little things that they care about and they take good care of, it means that they understand that certain things are delicate, they need to be cared for, they need to be dusted. That that person I could see there's like a linear path to dishwasher, Dad.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, how do you spot a dishwasher?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 5: I think they've got they're putting cups in a dishwasher at like a degree angle for like optimum cleaning, but also to make sure it doesn't pull the water.
Speaker 2: You know, they they're making sure each You.
Speaker 3: Got told that phrase doesn't pull the water by a dishwasher, Dad, You cannot tell me you came up with that yourself.
Speaker 2: I think it's because my husband is absolutely a disad to go.
Speaker 3: He has said this to you.
Speaker 5: He has demanded it off me to how to stack the dishwasher. Because in my work life I am type A. In my personal life, I am type B type B minus potentially. And to the point with the stacking the dishwasher, he just says, please don't touch it, just leave your dishes on the side, because I would like to do it. And sometimes when I do stack it, he'll look at it and be like, I can see your ideas that you've had there, but they haven't quite worked out for you, have they? And I'm like, it's fine, but I have a dishwasher, dad, And.
Speaker 1: Were there signs when you were dating early on that would lead to him being a dishwashed at.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 5: He So, he's a cybersecurity software engineer and he has flip cards to help him study for job interviews. And I was bantering with it. Well, I thought it was banter. It wasn't when I was trying to quiz him and I said something wasn't right and he's like, no, that's right, that's and he couldn't banter about it. And I was like, oh, you are, You're very He's a type A human in work and in life.
Speaker 3: Okay, now I have to know how you met because that's a very different field to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we dating application software.
Speaker 5: Application software excellent, hinge most more specifically, but I don't. Maybe I wonder if I'm not a dishwasher dad because I can't, but I'm not. I'm hoping I'm not a cheating person either. But yeah, but I can't think of anything worse than like rules around.
Speaker 3: Dish Yeah, I think this is just a rule for dads. Okay, neither dishwashers or cheats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I do feel bad for the dad's listening going. Well, I'm neither. I'm sort of in that beij Maybe we need a category of just like average beige dad, just like neither he nor there. I don't know their couch dad. They are just sitting there. They're reliable, their comfy, they might have crumb on them. Yeah, they're just they're just always there. They're great. They're neither offensive nor offense or.
Speaker 5: An antique lamp dad. Nice to be there, doesn't do much. Or what about coaster dad.
Speaker 3: That's definitely a type a coast coast dad, or maybe coast dad's are also dishwashing dads. Dads or like I respect wood, you must put a coaster down.
Speaker 2: That means like they respect objects.
Speaker 3: I think that's you dad. It's another spin on dishwasher dad. If you meet a guy who loves coasters, you've probably got dishwash your dad.
Speaker 2: That's a good way. But look, lots of love for the dishwasher.
Speaker 3: Dad's are married to one. They're the best? Are you? And you think I have been married to someone who isn't a dishwasher dad? Do I look like I know how to stack a dishwasher?
Speaker 1: I'm the same. I stuck a dishwasher like a take a mess. God, No, you think I'm type I'm not.
Speaker 3: No, you're maybe soaking some things in like a like trademark by car Vinegar Solutions yourself.
Speaker 1: That's true. I do washing the laundry. The law is my domain. Okay.
Speaker 3: Also, I'm pretty sure you once recommended dishwasher powder on the show as opposed to a dish washer tablet because you said it was cheaper. Yeah, so you clearly are thinking about dishwashers. Sometimes I'm not going.
Speaker 5: To putting it in there, but yeah, I think I've stacked a dishwasher like it's a it's a like how much can you fit in there?
Speaker 2: To task and then like.
Speaker 1: You have to test it. It's a challenge for the dish washers.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, that's a nicer read on it. Yeah, let's say that. But my them half my stuff comes out like not clean because it doesn't fit getting the graces.
Speaker 3: My stuff also comes out not clean, but you know what it is done. And I always say to my dishwasher dad, husband, would you rather that the dishes don't get half cleaned? Would you rather that they just sit there for days? Yeah? At least I'm getting it done. Yeah, tell us your best dishwasher stacking tips. We want to learn from the masters, and we don't want to hear from the cheetahs with their best tips they can rack off.
Speaker 5: I want you both to picture this or maybe remember this, because I'm sure you will.
Speaker 2: You haven't slept in days. Who nipples are bleeding?
Speaker 5: The only communication you've had with your partner is arguing about why the baby is awake?
Speaker 2: Are they too cold, they're too hot.
Speaker 5: They're over tired, They're not tired enough. And then you receive a text or it's a well meaning stranger looking at your child, approaching them too close on the street and they say, soak it up, they're only this little Once. There's a recent substack from a writer for Tessa Latifi and she's campaigning to cancel that phrase. And it's this quote that had me almost weeping in agreement. She said, as a mum of a five weeks old, I'm here to say, stop saying this shit. It is basically impossible to soak in the newborn bubble when you're in it, and the pressure to do so makes me feel like I'm already failing my daughter. That resonated me with me so much because I feel like I've only just come out of the newborn bubble in a way that I can look back at that time and enjoy it from the outside and from months away from those kind of five weeks and the amount of times that people said, enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's magical.
Speaker 5: It's wonderful that I did feel like this woman and I did feel like I was failing her my daughter.
Speaker 2: Did you guys experience this?
Speaker 1: So I don't know if I'm going to agree. Okay, I'm just going to put a different, just slightly different lens on this because I think you're right. It's a bubble of terror, right, is a bubble of fear and sleep deprivation and adrenaline and bleeding nipples. And if Fanny's holing out of your pants, and it's just there's so much crying as well. But I do think the bubble has got the wrong It's the wrong word to use. But I'm going to argue in defense of the bubble in one minute, Amelia, what do you have to say?
Speaker 3: It just brought back a memory. I think people say this about kids in general, not just babies. I remember when I was in primary school and I was walking home from school with my grandmother who would pick me up, and we passed another elderly person on the street. He had a walking stick and as he walking past us, he kind of had a Gandolf vibe about him, and he turns to me He's like, enjoy it. These are the best days of your life, referring to school. And even at the time, even as a primary school student, I'm thinking, well, what am I meant to do with that? What am I meant to do with that advice? Like I can't enjoy it in an uncomplicated way, like today was stressful, Like primary school can be stressful. We forget that. But I guess what's interesting about this substack piece is that the person who wrote it has a five week old She's sitting down to write when she probably hasn't slept in days, and there's something there's something in that advice that says you won't always feel this way. And I guess maybe that that's useful to some degree.
Speaker 5: All right, Mon's I'm ready for you to defend it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I think what people say when they mean the bubble, and this is what I understand it now. Looking back. Let's say you have an uncomplicated birth, you have a baby that first four to air hours is a bubble. And here's why I think it means. It's how it's that feeling of how the world stops. And I understand not every mother gets this experience, but it is that feeling of time suspends and everyone's really gentle on you, and you don't know if it's day or if it's night. And you have one job, one job only, and that is just to sniff and feed and care for and touch and be with this thing that you have made right, and I think it's this kind of beautiful. Not beautiful, it's terrifying, but it's that liminal space. And I think when we talk about a bubble, it's what's around it. It's like you are the rawst and the most vulnerable that you have ever been in those first two days after giving birth.
Speaker 2: The bubble is what.
Speaker 1: Is created around you so that you can just fully focus on the enormous thing that you have just done. And I was lucky enough to experience that twice, and I do know that not every woman does. But I think what this article is talking about, like, I think that that bubble lasts a very short time and then it's back to the reality. And I think what's interesting about this article is it kind of puts a name to this pressure that you feel as a parent now, which is ever increasing, and it's probably social media. We have to feel nostalgic while things are happening. It's this always, oh, you've only got they're only little for this amount of time, and you only get eighteen summers with them, and you have to soak up every minute right now. And that is not how nostalgia works, and it's not helpful.
Speaker 3: And the fetishizing of lasts as well, like last time, you'll never know, the last time you pick up your child and things like that. Yeah, that tyranny of enjoy every moment it does extend to all of childhood because that you've only got eighteen summers. Thing is essentially saying the exact same thing over eighteen years. And yeah, there was an article in Mother Jones this week that kind of tried to defend it. And I'm curious to know if this works for you, Grace, because you're closer to the newborn bubble as it were either of us. It said that, yeah, Okay, it can be annoying, it can put pressure on you, but it also captures the most cosmic thing about child rearing, a corny, if useful reminder to drop that bad habit of constantly counting down to the next activity, whatever thing gets me closer to an imaginary finish line.
Speaker 5: I still think, yes, probably I am too close to find any sense of whimsy about it. Even listening to you to describe Mond's those kind of first forty eight hours, I was like for me, it was like the first seven weeks were like what the hell is happening? Like I really struggled to find.
Speaker 2: A connection.
Speaker 5: Like I had a tough feeding journey as well, which I don't think helps. Like we got there in the end, but like we had to do additional weigh ins, and because she wasn't putting on she was like the sixth percentile when she was born. Now she's like eighty something because she loves food. But I kind of attached that time to like feeling like my body was failing her, especially that like I labored for two days but then ended up in a C section, so I felt like I'd failed.
Speaker 2: And then I was failing again.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I understand the you have no other job, and I can agree with that bubble of it, because it's true you're in this this whirlwind. And like I was talking about it with my husband the other day, of like what did we do every day? And I have absolutely no idea how we passed those days until we, as you just said, Amelia, counted down to the next activity of like all right, we're going into a wake window. All right, we're going into a sleep cycle. And that is kind of your life. But how finding.
Speaker 2: Joy within early motherhood.
Speaker 5: I think I felt my first bit of joy around seven or eight weeks, but actually enjoying being a mother was like five to six months. Another mom and me, and Mum said to me when I was talking about this, because I'm similar to Stacy, I'm at one and done mom and happy with that decision. The only thing that makes me want to have a second child is that I want to be able to do the newborn bubble and do it better and I want to enjoy it.
Speaker 3: You'll never do it.
Speaker 5: I'll never And this is what they said, is like, you want to be able to do it better, but you want to be able to do it better for your first child, and you're never going to get that again.
Speaker 2: So and this was her beautiful advice.
Speaker 5: She goes, So, now your job is to become the village for the next mom. And I love that idea that there's you know, you've had that moment of your sitting on the couch at three am in the in the dark, being like, I feel so lonely and this is terrible. But you know what, there's going to be another mom that goes, is going to be sitting alone, cradling a baby, alone in the dark, and I'll text her and you know, make her realize that she's not alone. And I went through that to make somebody else feel not as alone. So yeah, yeah, it's maybe in a year's time I will have that joy in the nostalgia of it, But at this present moment, I feel like I'm still too close.
Speaker 1: You're so, it's so, you're so right, Grace. And I think when people say enjoy the love bubble, it just discounts every experience that mothers have, Like, I think the love bubble is really probably just it's not helpful. And you know, often in culture we come across phrases that we feel are outdated or don't capture or how something's really like anymore. Maybe love Maybe this the newborn bubble is one of them, like maybe it's become kind of it kind of feels on the nose to say it to people knowing what you know now right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The one thing a friend wrote to me in a card, which was the best thing that I heard within this time, because a lot of people were like, you must be loving it, you must be loving it and saying all of this stuff like welcome to the best club in the world. And my friend just wrote in a card, enjoy getting to know each other. And that kind of released me from something. And that's what I write to people who knows.
Speaker 3: I think, Look, whether or not it's helpful or not, I think it's tapping into a human nature idea that the most difficult moments are often the ones that you end up savoring the most and with a little bit of distance on early childhood. I have to say it's turning out to be true for me.
Speaker 1: All Right, It's time for recommendations where we like to bring you all the things I trying, watching doing, and that we recommend to you are very good friends and other parents. Amelia, what have you got this week?
Speaker 3: Look, I've got to sleep spray and that's because I've heard the fixes on how to get a better night's sleep from the experts and I'm not doing them instead because I will scrawl my phone before bed. I'm sorry. I have to know what Reddit says before I hit the hay. So instead I'm just going to spray the room with this spray. It's from the good Night Company. It's an Australian company founded by two best friends who are mums. What's not to like? It's forty five dollars. It's called the Deep Sleep Mist. It's that kind of combo of like little treat and also self help. Smells delightful.
Speaker 2: On the pillow on your face.
Speaker 3: No, it's ambient, like you said, spray around the room. It's got Frankinson's sweet orange, lavender and rose it's just become a nice little ritual. Mom's I see you've got ted Lasso. Can you explain why you're excited about this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well because season four dropped this week, and okay, I haven't watched it yet. Am I still allowed to recommend it. I've watched all the other three seasons, and when I saw it was coming back, I was like, oh, yepie do because it's such a smooth brain watch. You know it's all gonna work out fine. You know that nothing like majorly upsettings ever gonna really happen. Like, it's just really nice co viewing when you want something kind of inoffensive and just easy to watch. So yeah, ted laso Sill and Hannah Waddingham is mesmerizing. I would watch her for a million hours. She's the reason I watch. I don't give a shit about ted Lasso, it's her that I want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a nice What have you got?
Speaker 5: I have a recommendation of to book yourself a staycation. Now I know that you do what is it hotel hotel? What do you do mons the.
Speaker 1: Hotel at home?
Speaker 5: Like a hotel at home? Well, I'm suggesting a hotel hotel. Okay, so I'm in the stage of like daycare, daycare illnesses and sleep progressions, and it was like a five week block, Imo, I.
Speaker 2: Enjoy it well at last.
Speaker 5: So we had like five weeks of back to back sicknesses and then I or just she was not sleeping because she was sick. I don't know either way, I wasn't sleeping, and I was like, Wow, this is what hell is like. I think I think I found hell. And then my husband was like, go stay in a hotel for the night.
Speaker 3: Go have the name a dish washer.
Speaker 2: He's a dishwasher. And I booked.
Speaker 5: I've got a quite nice hotel. It's near the office. It was two hundred and twenty dollars. And I tell you what a therapy appointment before the rebate, it's two hundred and fifty dollars. Well, my particular therapist, and it was the best sixteen hours of my life.
Speaker 3: It's such a good. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It was just the like.
Speaker 5: It's not like I slept any better, Like I still kind of woke up at one, four and six, but it just turned my quarters all down.
Speaker 1: But I wasn't repaintive. Can you please paint I'm salivating at this time. My mouth's wading paint the picture. Were you in the bed watching like the block or something on the teeth?
Speaker 2: I was watching the pit for the second time, okay, and I cut it.
Speaker 1: Tea for dinner.
Speaker 5: I got room service wine because there was an organic wine shop downstairs, so they stuck their wine, and I got uber eats delivered. I had a long, hot shower, I put a face mask on. I sat there, but I was so like enjoying what I didn't even finish my glass of wine, which is wild for me. And then I read a book. And then in the morning, I drank three cups of tea in bed and read a book. And then when I walked to the train station to get home, I noticed I was even walking slower, like my whole pace my body had just completely slowed down. So I know that it might sound boogie or we might be like, no, it's too decinent to do that, but it was two hundred and twenty dollars, and we want to now make it quarterly so we each have some decompression times.
Speaker 1: All right, That is all we have time for this week. I'm parenting out loud. Thank you for spending your time with us on your very busy weekend. We'd love spending it with you. We hope we've made you think about a few things. Have a great week, and we'll be back in this speed again next Saturday morning. Mom and Me acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.