Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mother and mea podcast out Loud as welcome to a special episode of Mum and Me Are out Loud, and it's one that we really wish that we didn't have to make because it is about a murder trial that's currently happening in the US where a woman called Lindsey Clancy has admitted to killing her three young children in twenty twenty three before trying to take her own life. You may know a lot about this story, you may know a little bit about this story, or you may know nothing about this story. It is incredibly distressing, and that's why we wanted to separate it from your regular episode of out Loud to give you the choice about whether to listen to us talk about it without having to miss out on your regular Wednesday episode that dropped yesterday as usual, so you can just scroll back in your feed and listen to that. But we wanted to give this story some room to breathe because out Loud is a daily show that covers what women are talking about, and this case has captured women's attention in the most extraordinary way, and we want to try and understand why. My name is Mia Friedman, I'm one of the hosts of Muma Mea out Loud, and I'm joined today by two members of our Quickie team. The Quickie is Muma Maya's daily news podcast twice daily in fact, and with me at the Muma Mea out Loud table today is tams and Rose, who is an accomplished journalist and one of the two new hosts of the Quickie, and also Georgie Page, who is a group executive producer at Mumma Mea and is working across the Quickie as well. Welcome to both of you. I really wish that we weren't here, and the reason that I wanted you both to be sitting at the table. I am one of those people who doesn't know much about this case at all. I've deliberately tried not to focus on it, but I couldn't help but be made aware of it when just this week, interestingly, about three or four of my group chats with very different people all started popping off and talking about it. And then when someone mentioned it in the office, ten people jumped up and started talking about it as well, women of all different generations, and Tams and You were saying to me earlier before we came into the studio that there are like two different conversations going. One is about the actual story of what's happening in the trial at the moment, which is being televised in the US. It's been going for about three weeks. And the other, Georgie, which you know a lot about, is the parallel story that's happening on the internet, which is about this case, but it's going in a very very different direction. So Tams and let's start at the beginning. Who is Lindsay Clancy.
Speaker 2: So Lindsay Clancy is a thirty six year old woman who lives in Massachusetts in the States. She was married to her husband Patrick, and they had three kids. They had a five year old, a three year old, and an eight month old, and she was working as a labor and delivery nurse up until this killing occurred.
Speaker 1: So my understanding is that this crime happened in twenty twenty three, after she I believe strangled the children, she tried to take her own life. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So that's what's going through court at the moment. The reason that we're hearing about this so much now is because it's come to trial. So she's been charged with the murder of her three children after they were found dead in her home, and that was after she was also found with very significant injuries. And so the allegation is that she killed her three children, she murdered them, and then she tried to take her own life.
Speaker 1: Is she denying that.
Speaker 2: No, So she's not denying that she killed the children. What this case hinges on is whether she can be held legally responsible for that killing given the mental state she was in.
Speaker 3: And that's really the crux of the case in court at the moment.
Speaker 1: Some of the footage of the trial that I've seen, I mean, it's obviously incredibly distressing to watch, even apart from the horrific nature of the crime. From what I understand, she took some pills, self harmed and then threw herself out of the window of their house. She's paralyzed and is in a wheelchair in court sobbing hysterically. What's the court case about? Then? If she said I pled guilty, is she saying by reasons of insanity?
Speaker 2: So she has pled not guilty. And the thing here is, so she's not denying that she killed them, that she's denying that she murdered them. So it's the intent here, and it's whether she can be held accountable for her actions given her mental state at the time. So the prosecution is arguing that it was premeditated. She had decided she would kill her children, She sent her husband Patrick to the shops to pick up food and prescriptions, and then in that time gave herself enough time to kill her children and then attempt to kill herself. What this case really hinges on is whether she can prove and whether her lawyers can prove that she was in such a severe.
Speaker 1: State of due to postpartum depression.
Speaker 2: Postpartum psychosis is what they're actually saying in this and so that's different. It's more rare than postpartum depression. It's a very specific condition.
Speaker 1: I interviewed a woman once, an Australian woman who had postpartum psychosis, and she described it as she was pushing her baby down in a pram down the street and she looked at him and he looked like a dragon, and she couldn't believe that other people couldn't see that he was a dragon.
Speaker 3: So it's scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not just postpartum depression can be incredibly debilitating for women. But this is a different thing, psychosis. Yeah. So did her husband or anyone around her see any evidence of this postpartum psychosis? Did she see a doctor or did she tell anyone?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: So she was talking a lot to her husband, to her mother, to her friends, and to doctors about how she was feeling. She had expressed to them that she was feeling suicidal, that she was seeing things, that she was unwell, she was begging for help. She had seen psychologists, psychiatrists, she was on a cocktail of drugs at the time of this. And Patrick, her husband, has given evidence that he feels like she was misdiagnosed and that she was.
Speaker 3: Getting the incorrect treatment. That's playing a critical role in this.
Speaker 2: How a woman who was begging for help alongside looking after three children. She was saying, I desperately need help, I'm not well.
Speaker 3: How does she.
Speaker 2: Still end up in the position where her three children are dead and she's on trial for their murder.
Speaker 1: So this sounds like just a completely tragic case. But why has this story started popping up in everybody's group chats? Georgie? This is why I wanted to ask you, because by all accounts, it's a tragedy, it's a trial that's ongoing, it's been televised, so I understand that that's captured the imagination. But horrific crimes like this happen all the time. Children are murdered tragically by their parents every day around the world. Why has this captured everyone's attention.
Speaker 4: It's really interesting because I am following this case in two ways. I'm following the news reports, which are telling me what's happening in the court case, but I'm also really interested in true crime, and I follow a lot of the cases. The internet discourse is about Patrick and Lindsey. There's not as much discussion about the kids, and that's almost sort of taken out of it because it is such a tragic part and it is more like two things. Did Patrick do it? Or did Patrick not do enough? So it happened?
Speaker 1: So wait a second, I'm going to stop you right there. Did Patrick do it? Well? She said that she did it and he was at the shops. My understanding is that hasn't come up in court. The idea of him doing it has.
Speaker 2: It no, So that hasn't come up in court at all. And I think this is where it's really important to make the two distinctions. There are two cases running. One is the court of public opinion that's playing out all over social media. That's exactly what George's talking about. And then we have the case that's being run in court, and that is purely about her role in these killings. So he's there in court, he's giving evidence, but none of it is questioning whether he had an involvement in the killings.
Speaker 1: Okay, so is he sort of supportive of her in court? Are they still married?
Speaker 4: They are not still married. He has remarried, or so he has married a woman that looks very like Lindsay, which is allowing online commentators on TikTok and Reddit and things to really go to town on what they think of him. He is absolutely the bad guy online. There are a lot of people on social media who are presenting themselves as true crime experts and presenting these as facts.
Speaker 1: So can you just take us through broadly the conspiracy theory that is captured attention? What do people say they think happened?
Speaker 4: I would actually say conspiracy theoryes. Let's just say though, that none of these are including the fact that we now know that she suffered from psychosis. So these are very often generated by Internet sleuths who may not have factored that in.
Speaker 1: So what is the internet's justification for the fact that she has given evidence, actual evidence to say I did it and is distraught about the fact that she did it?
Speaker 4: And you know what, that's such an interesting point because we really have to be crystal clear yet again here Patrick Clancy is not on trial. He is not accused of anything. The theories that we're referring to are all purely about what's being repeated on the internet, right, and these theories we can't go into too much detail about because of legalities. So one of the internet theories is that she believes she did it because her ex husband made her believe so. And a lot of the discussion that I've read about on mainly things like Reddit like this is going deep into this, is that her lawyer is using this case to prove to her that she didn't do it.
Speaker 1: But what do you mean using this court case. She's been charged.
Speaker 4: She's been charged, But some of the crazy conspiracies on the Internet believe that he is trying to show inconsistencies in the case that will make her say, maybe I didn't do it, but she fully believes that she did it, and everyone knows that. But there is so much sympathy for this woman in a way that you do not often see for women who allege that they killed their children.
Speaker 2: I also think an important distinction to make. She has not said that she didn't kill them, and it's understood that she believes she killed them, But she's never given evidence in court, and we're not actually expecting her to give any evidence, as is her right as a defendant. She is sitting there, but she doesn't have to give evidence. Effectively, her legal argument is just that she was not in her right mind when this happened. But that is all being made on her behalf.
Speaker 1: So why is the internet? And by the Internet we sort of mean reddit and TikTok and just also the general discourse. You know, when we say the internet, we just meet people, right And in a lot of group chats I've seen there are influences and people I know personally who are making reels and tiktoks asserting very specific facts about the lawyer and the this and the hymn and the why, like why is everyone so invested?
Speaker 4: There's something different about this case and It's really actually hard to put my finger on what because personally, I feel so much sympathy for this woman, and I watch her in court. I almost can't make it join in my mind that she's done these horrible things, even though I do believe that she has, because I feel she was so failed by the system, either inconsistencies, all rumors that have now been sold as facts, and so the Internet is jumping on this. It's amazing lickbait. Obviously the internet is jumping on this.
Speaker 1: And maybe this is why I haven't been captivated by this story so much, because I'm not someone who follows true crime, so it sounds like what's happening, correct me if I'm wrong. It's so difficult to look at this woman and think about that crime, and so confronting and distressing to think of a mother doing that to her children, and the details of that we won't go into, but my god, that we want to find ways to not blame her by either saying someone else did it or putting the blame on the system.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also think one of the reasons that it's captured so many people's attention, whether they are a mother or they're not yet is so many women have experienced being shut down by the medical system in some way or another. They've gone and they've asked for help for something, They've asked for a test and the doctor's told them you, actually, you don't need it, or you.
Speaker 3: Know what, come back, maybe it's a period.
Speaker 2: And this is the most extreme version of that. And I think it's quite scary if you think about if I'm continuously ignored, if people don't take me seriously, I don't get the right treatment I need when I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to do to get help. That's what happens. It feels like it could be anyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the health system in America, we know is a binfire. She had expressed that she was struggling, so she was in that twelvemonth mark, which is the high risk time after the birth of her third child. Because my experience of the health system, it's been a while since I had a baby. They're very attentive to you. I was talking to some of the new mothers in the office, and you have compulsory health checks at certain points, like at the six week mark and one week mark, and they ask you a lot of very specific questions, and that's the case in Australia. In the US, it's possibly not like that. But we do know that she was seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist and they've given evidence, I presume that she was diagnosed with postpartum psychosis.
Speaker 2: So she hadn't been diagnosed, and that's part of the crux of this is that she was asking for help. She was clearly going through something. Everything she was saying and doing was showing that, but she hadn't received that diagnosis.
Speaker 3: So that's what they're attempting.
Speaker 2: To now prove, and really over the next two to three weeks, which is now when we're going to hear from the defense. That's when we're going to really see that come to the front, because that's going to be the key defense from her team. So we're going to be hearing from a lot of those aspects now.
Speaker 4: So, like you said, she is in that danger zone of one year, and I feel it's like when you first have a baby and everyone visits and everyone helps at the start, and you get asked those questions that you mentioned over and over again every few.
Speaker 1: Weeks, also very much with your first baby. I think by the time we have your third. And this is what's interesting. I haven't had postpartum depression, but I assumed that it was something that happened the first time, or it didn't happen. But it's different with every child.
Speaker 4: It's different, absolutely, And so her youngest was at the eight month mark, and that's the time when people have sort of floated away. But you may not be getting all the support. So maybe she wasn't being asked those questions until she sought out help. Anyway, I know that I probably wasn't asked as many questions when I had my kids around that time. But was I sleeping?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Was I really struggling?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Has her mother given evidence?
Speaker 3: Her mother's given evidence this week.
Speaker 1: And what did her mother say.
Speaker 2: She gave evidence effectively saying that her daughter was asking for help. She showed text messages where her daughter told her that she was feeling suicidal. She was asking if her mum could come and sleep in her bed. She was clearly not in a good way, and her mother's given that evidence.
Speaker 1: And there's no one, including her mother, her friends, who's actually made any accusations about the husband. It's literally just online speculation.
Speaker 3: There's been nothing in court there's been nothing.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, there's a lot of people shouting from the rooftop saying, if your wife tells you that she is struggling, do not go out to the chemist and get take away by yourself. Take at least one child, or take all the children. Was he being negligent by leaving a woman who was struggling and has spoken about that at length at home with three children. That's a question.
Speaker 1: When I interviewed that woman, she said she would try to hide it because she said she was scared that someone would take her baby away from her. Not saying that that's what happened with Lindsay, but I thought that was interesting, like it's not always visible from the outside. That's what she That's what she said. You know, you were talking to me, Georgie about women with T shirts saying Lindsay's army.
Speaker 3: What's that about?
Speaker 4: So there is m available unofficial obviously from this trial. You can get Team Lindsey T shirts. You can get T shirts saying I'm the thirteenth dura in the Lindsay Clancy case. People are making reels saying taking three weeks off work because I'm studying the Lindsay Clancy case.
Speaker 1: So it's turned it's been turned into a content for.
Speaker 4: Us, into an absolute circus. So I feel with cases like this, we need a baddie, and no one wants the baddie to be her.
Speaker 1: I also think it's often easier to be angry than gutted, you know. I see that time and time again when something devastating happens, it's easier to be angry. And it's too confronting for us to think of a mother killing her own children, so someone else must be responsible. So her ex husband actually appeared on the stands on day five. What did he say?
Speaker 2: He testified to the general state of well being of his wife at the time. He said, on the day of the killing, she's seemed well. That was his quote. But he also said it had been an incredibly turbulent period of time and that she had been struggling, that she had been expressing those struggles to him. He had also taken her to hospital a few days prior because of her insomnia and her anxiety, so she was clearly expressing enough to him that meant that he was doing things like taking her to hospital. He also said, which is to what Georgie said before he got on the stand and said he's forgiven his ex wife for the deaths of their children.
Speaker 1: You know, it makes me think I've been watching some of those having said I don't like true crime. I've been watching a few true crime documentaries on Netflix, etc. And it's always that thing of it's not what it looks like yep. And so it's almost like the plot's not good enough of this story. Their needs what's the twist. And the twist is because it's never who you think it is, and it's always someone very close to the crime. So everyone is just treating this like a cross between the Super Bowl and a true crime story.
Speaker 4: Right, there's absolutely a need to glorify and add a layer of excitement on the internet, which isn't there in the courtroom.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say the word excitement, because that's the impression that I've got, which has been so surprising given what a tragic story this is. People are excited about it. And the last time I remember this kind of vibe was around maybe Black Lively and Justin Baldoni or the Amber heard Johnny Depp trial, But no one died in those stories.
Speaker 3: You know, they're not children.
Speaker 2: I am finding it quite uncomfortable at times engaging with this discourse where what we're discussing what was done was brutally.
Speaker 3: Killing three children.
Speaker 2: It's so horrific the details of this case, and as we're going on this back and forth all the theories, obviously everyone wants to get to the heart of it, but some of the tone has been hard to engage with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you mean about that sort of excitement?
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, Even just.
Speaker 1: When you use scrolling and you see, you know, someone in full makeup doing a piece to camera and going, you know, and I'm just like, oh, what's this about, And I'm like, whoa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I mean it's three kids who've died, a woman who's become paralyzed, and everyone's life has been destroyed in the process.
Speaker 3: It's really, really horrible.
Speaker 1: It's not exciting entertainment.
Speaker 2: The other thing on that is you would hope that something like this, regardless of where this case lands up, it's a clear case of someone having fallen through the cracks of a lot of systems that were supposed to support her, and so hopefully it can be something of a wake up call for anyone in this situation, but.
Speaker 3: You never know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hope you're right. Mental illness is very very tricky, isn't it, because it is often invisible from the outside. And I wanted to ask you about that because people might be confused if she said she did it, how can she plead not guilty? But that is by reasons of insanity and basically that you're not culpable for your actions because you're not of sound mind. So then what happens. Does she go to jail? Like, if she's found guilty, does she go to jail?
Speaker 3: She does?
Speaker 1: And if she's found not guilty, does she just walk free?
Speaker 2: No, so she will go to jail, but I'm certain there would be some form of mental health treatment while she was in jail if she's found guilty, and that's going to be the decision for jurors at the end of this trial, or if she's not found guilty, she will be released into a state mental health facility where she'll get treatment.
Speaker 1: Georgie, are men interested in this case or is this purely something that women are interested in.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen any men speak about it, but I haven't seen interest from men. There is something about this case that has really got under the skin of women.
Speaker 1: I think it's just too confronting to be faced with this idea, and you know it is easier to believe that it was someone else's fault.
Speaker 3: Out louders.
Speaker 1: We are going to leave numbers for support for you in the show notes. If anyone you know is affected by post natal depression by psychosis, the first thing you should do is call Lifeline. Please call Triple zero if there is an emergency situation, but we are sending our love and thoughts to anyone who is struggling. Please reach out. Please don't think that because some women reached out and didn't get the help they needed, that that will happen to you. And if you don't get the help you need, keep reaching out, go and turn up at a hospital if you must. Nobody wants to see this happen again. Thank you Georgie, Thank you tams In. This story isn't finished. It's still going. The trial is only about halfway through, so we will be covering it on Going, on the Quickie, on True Crome Conversations, and on site. We will leave links in the show notes if you want to keep following this story, and also of course for those support services,