Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mother and Me podcast. Muma Me acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters.
Speaker 2: This podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 1: This episode deals with discussions and depictions of mental ill health. Listener discretion is advised. What makes a perfect partner? Does the person you meet, catch feelings for and see life with have to be perfect from the start, or do you look at potential imperfections and think I can fix them, especially when said imperfections are ones you've dealt with yourself.
Speaker 3: There's someone who has some shared experiences. I've been able to create mar own tools to move past a lot of those feelings. So maybe I have to role model some of that to him first and meet him halfway, So get him to a point where he's comfortable and confident enough in me to be able to support him through some of those challenges that he's facing. So I think I really related to some of what he was saying and thought, my goodness, this could really be something if I can help him through this.
Speaker 2: That's Jen. She's what we call a fixer.
Speaker 1: The connection she had with Steve was strong enough that what others might perceive as red flags, she saw as things they could overcome together, no matter what it took. But the problem with fixes is that they often failed to see what they're losing in themselves in trying to help the other person.
Speaker 3: If he was mad at me, then I would just feel really crappy for the rest of the day, and I would then do everything I could to try to make it up to him, because I could see that he was spending a lot of time on me, and I could see that it might stop him from doing those things. And that's the challenge that you're just like, but it could get better.
Speaker 1: I'm Georgia Love and this is everyone has an X. Come with me as we dive into a collection of unconventional stories about relationships past through the eyes and the hearts of the very people who lived them. Jen was twenty five when this story begins. She'd always been a good student, kept her head down and worked hard, and a good daughter. She'd lived at home with her parents and never went off the rails or brought any boys home. But now she was finished her studies and was all grown up. It was time to spread her wings.
Speaker 3: I had just moved out with my two best friends. We'd moved into a townhouse together. I just started my first job out of UNI, so it all kind of felt like my life was starting to head into that adult state and I was like, awesome, well, I'm.
Speaker 2: Living out of home now.
Speaker 3: Now it's probably time to date because if I have to, can have people come back. I was probably more focused on studies, but I'd always see all of my friends around me in relationships and I'll be like, yes, sir, I want that, but I also want to have.
Speaker 2: That with the right person.
Speaker 3: So it'd always kind of just be like they like me, but I didn't like them, and vice versa. But I think moving out of home, I was like, I feel like I'm ready to explore a different part of my life now and see what happened. So it was an exciting time. Both of my two best friends they had just broken up out of their long term relationships as well, so we were all almost doing this online dating stuff.
Speaker 1: It was unchouted territory for Jen, not just the online dating part of it, the dating part altogether.
Speaker 3: There was definitely crushes that I had had throughout high school and things and even sort of throughout my UNI days, and there might have been like a pash here and there, but it was never anyone that I was able to sort of say, yeah, I want to I want to date you. There was a couple of guys I think leading up to sort of moving out and things that I was like, let's get to know each other, but I always just got the friend vibe from them, and I just couldn't kind of see myself progressing. And I was always really honest with everyone as well, sort of where I was at.
Speaker 2: But yeah, besides pashing, that was it.
Speaker 1: But moving out of home and in with two single girlfriends, Jen was entering into a whole new era. So she chose her favorite picks, wrote a standout bio, and got herself on the apps.
Speaker 3: Was absolutely crapping myself. There is the excitement, but there's also the fear of what is this person going to think of me? And then, because I hadn't given my body to anyone before, it was kind of how do you navigate this? And how do you feel comfortable enough in your own skin to allow someone to see so vulnerable in a naked state and trust them enough and develop trust in a really organic way, even when you're doing it on the apps, because obviously that doesn't necessarily feel organic to begin with. And you know a little bit about each other, but really going to meet someone that you don't really know anything about and you've sent a few messages back and forth, it was very daunting. It was horrifying to think that I would have to share with someone that I was twenty five and still a virgin. It would take me a really long time to sort of lead up to a date. There was one that I think I was talking to for a three month period before I met, and I think we saw each other four times, and I really obviously wasn't giving him what he was expecting.
Speaker 2: Out of things. But it was just because I was ready to take things slow. He was pushing, I think.
Speaker 3: So it was just like, look, this is where I'm at, and this is why things aren't gressing because I just it was like I felt ready, but I didn't feel ready with that person, and I wanted it. I didn't necessarily have this fantasy about how special it would be.
Speaker 2: Or anything like that.
Speaker 3: It was just I don't want to be naked in front of you, and I don't really want to be that intimate with you in particular. You're just not the right person for me to do that with. But yeah, it wasn't like I had, so I know for everyone it's a little bit different with their virginity and sometimes as well, I want to wait till a marriage and I want that person to be right for me, and others are like, you know, what's not that special. I'm just going to, you know, enjoy those processes and get into it. But for me yet, it was more kind of I want to trust you enough that I could enjoy it and I don't want to get the ick.
Speaker 1: Just when she was questioning whether the apps were ever going to be the place she'd find this person, along came a guy named Steve.
Speaker 3: And I wasn't necessarily physically attracted to the photos that I was seeing, And it was one of those apps where they can just reach out to you and if you want to respond, you can, but you wasn't didn't have.
Speaker 2: To be a mutual.
Speaker 3: I like you, you like me. He was eleven years older than me. I actually remember the photo that he had used as well, and I was like, hmm, that just feels a bit a bit out there. I think he was shirtless sort of from the chest up, and he had quite like shoulder length hair as well, So I think based on the age, I was kind of like, oh, you're probably be a little bit older. But I also noticed that the distance he lived into state, and so for me, again, it wasn't something that I was wanting to entertain. I wanted a connection and I wanted to be able to be physical, but if I wanted a relationship, having someone live in a different state was not going to be on top.
Speaker 2: Of my list of priorities.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: I don't really remember exactly what he said, but it was a lot of you're really pretty, and then almost went off on this really strange fantasy. It was really odd, and again so this was something I was like, who is this random sending me these strange messages. I actually wasn't even responding at the time, because I had gone out with some friends and we had gone out dancing, and when I had come back, I had this novel of different messages just following through the strange fantasy, and he hadn't gone necessarily sexual with the fantasy. It was just kind of this really long narration and it wasn't the sort of opening that I had received from any of the other guys before on the apps or anyway. I always really felt bad about hitting a block button, or I would prefer for me, I don't want to ever be ghosted. I would rather someone be really upfront with me about their sort of thoughts or feelings, and it's like, you know, if you're not for me, I'll let you know that, and that should be okay. It should be enough for someone to respectfully say, it's just not what I'm looking for, but thanks for the interest. I had hoped that he would respond well to that, and at that point he had changed gears and he really had gone into Okay, look, that's actually worked for me with my last conversation, so I thought I would try it again. But here we are, let me find out a little bit about you. It was really weird as well, because it was almost like he came across as he didn't have a lot of experience, because it wasn't a usual way for a man to sort of approach a woman. So I think part of that peaked my interest enough, but I was probably in a bit of a low point after ending things with the other one.
Speaker 2: There was like a bit of attention. Sometimes we need the attention, the validation.
Speaker 3: Let's just give it a little bit while it's a weekend and I've got nothing else going on, And somehow we ended up just continuing to talk throughout the night and the next day continued to message me and there was no more fantasy talk or sexualization of anything, and it was very much just to getting to know your process. But with me also keeping in the back of my mind lived into state. So I continue to do the messaging and he would say all the right things, like if I fell in love, then I would absolutely move. You know, I don't want to continue living where I am. I really love Melbourn and sort of seeing what Melbourne has to offer. I've been there a few times and we sort of got to know each other more and more from there, and it was like every minute of the day it felt like we were talking.
Speaker 2: You get the butterflies.
Speaker 3: Every time the name pops up on your screen, and it is this excitement of what are they saying next? And allre they giving me, all of this attention and validation. So it started to feel like there was more of a buzz between the two of us, But it felt like his entire focus was on me. You're obviously not talking to anyone else. That's kind of nice to know. So early on he didn't have any qualifications, but he had gone to university for a period of time, and he did say that he did have to leave you need to look after his family who were back home, So that was really difficult for him to have to leave that behind and something that he was wanting to sort of see a future for himself and come back to take care of family.
Speaker 2: So in a way, that kind of was a bit of an.
Speaker 3: Appeal for me, knowing that he was really family oriented and it would be a priority for him to make sure that he could stop everything just to take care of them. I did find him really intelligent, and he would sort of just rip out these random comments and I was like, where did you learn that? Or it just kind of felt so really and then it kept me on my toes a bit with the conversation that it would also make me think, And I think I like to consider myself as someone who reflects a lot on their own thoughts and behaviors, and I always want to learn from people. So I found him really interesting that he would challenge me, I think on some of those. But he was also very in touch with his emotions, just a lot of articulation and I think expression of those feelings, and that was absolutely something that I'd wanted in a partner and something I always expect from someone who was that much older than me as well. So from there, I think I put in almost some boundaries and it was, well, what I'm wanting out of this. If we're continuing to talk and we're clearly building a strong connection here.
Speaker 2: The next step is to meet. So for me, I think we had.
Speaker 3: Started talking in September and I had said for New Years, I'd really like for us to have met already, and if that means that you have to come to Mailwy, which I sort of at that point, was like, well, you were the one that has sort of chased me, So have you come to Melvin if you're as keen as you say you are, and come and meet me. He initially agreed to that and then backed out. He said to me, Look, I struggle with anxiety and it's quite significant and I'm no longer working because of it, and so financially that has become a real struggle. But also the anxiety is at the point where I think it would stop me from getting on a plane to come and see you. No, I was like, okay, well I still feel something. I feel like there could be something here. Do I need to be a little bit more flexible, particularly because I'd been so rigid up until now with sort of my thinking about dating that I was like, look, I will come to you, but this will be a one off and this will be just an opportunity for us to meet. I think it's worth us, you know, seeing if there is a spark there, if not, no harm done. He was super excited. There was a lot of sort of counting down the days until we got to meet, and we ended up meeting on Valentine's Days and we were both.
Speaker 2: Just really excited.
Speaker 3: It was Okay, where are we going to stay for that weekend? And what are we going to do once we're together? And oh my gosh, gosh, I hope you like me, and I hope that I like you, and I hope we do connect and then all of the things that we've been sort of talking about or planning come together really well. So there was a lot of excitement I think from the two of us, which really felt mutual, which was also something that I wasn't quite used to with the other guys I had dated.
Speaker 1: So in a complete departure, from the gen of the past. She booked a flight and a hotel and jetted off for their first proper date.
Speaker 3: I remember being in the hotel room and doing my hair and doing my makeup, and having some music playing, and painting my nails and doing all of these things, and just counting down the minutes until he got there. And then I almost started to get again anxious from that excitement. I guess I've only just sort of started dating the last six months, and every time I meet someone, I feel really anxious, especially because he had sort of mentioned to me that he also wasn't someone who dated. He had never had a relationship before. He was also a virgin, and that was something that I think we had.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess we'd.
Speaker 3: Connected on a little bit. For him, I think there was a bit more embarrassment about being a virgin because he was thirty seven. I remember it being really awkward to raise it, But I think I was having a Halloween party with my two best friends at that townhouse that we had moved into, and he was feeling quite worried that I might meet someone at that party, and I had sort of made some comments that about it's not going to happen. It hasn't happened before, so it's not going to happen. And I didn't want to use the words I'm a virgin, so I would just say things like, oh, I wouldn't know, and his response was not necessarily shocked. But then over time started using the same sort of terminology as me when I started questioning him about his past sexual experiences and he had then just come out and said, I'm the same as you. We would both sort of about people that we'd had crushes on before, experiences that we'd had that sort of stopped before it got to that point of becoming sexual, and so it almost felt like, in a way, we feel like everyone's got some baggage or everyone's got an x and for the two of us, we didn't at that point, and all of those situations that we were in with connections with us never resulted in anything that got to that point. So it did feel really new to the both of us. Finding that out I think probably added to both of our anxieties for the day of.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we I have booked a hotel.
Speaker 3: Room of Valentine's Day, and you know we're both you for someone the same reason there is a potential here that we will sleep together, and what is that going to be like? Because I can't rely on you to kind of lead the way and vice versa, and so we're both just going to be really awkward about this.
Speaker 2: But maybe let's just laugh.
Speaker 3: Let's just consider it that it will be an experience that where we're sharing in for the first time, and that we can just laugh about.
Speaker 1: With all of that in mind, and with Jen's mind, heart and nerves racing, the time had finally come. Steve was there at the hotel to meet the girl he'd been pursuing for six months.
Speaker 3: I remember him buzzing in and I had to take the elevator and go down to collect him. And I remember the doors opening and I was shaking. My hands were shaking. I couldn't even press the button to get back up to the floor. And we kind of didn't know what to do with one another. It was just this, Okay, you're in the elevator, let's just be dead quiet until we get up to the room. It was this, I've been talking to you for so long, but I have never seen you, and now we're in the space together, and crap, there probably are some expectations, So how do we take this slow enough that I don't know what you're thinking, you don't know what I'm thinking. Once we got into the room, though, he I think he gave me a single rose, and I thought, oh, that's that's actually really sweet and this is me a happy Valentine Day. And we sat down on the couch and I think I was avoiding looking at him. Think I was very awkward, but I was realizing that he was way more nervous than I was, so it wasn't only my hands that were shaking, it was his as well, and he's continued to shake for far longer than mine did. I think I kind of got to that place where I could then relax, and I almost felt sorry for him because I could see how anxious he was that I felt this sense of responsibility to.
Speaker 2: Help calm him.
Speaker 3: During all the time that we're talking, you sort of speak about those things like I can't I can't wait to hold you or to hug you, or to kiss you, and all of those things, and it was almost like a but how do we know when that person wants to do that? So I think with me, I've had a few more experiences around that it was like, I'm just going to go for it then, because I think he's too anxious to try to kiss me. So I remember doing that and he afterwards had said to me, I've never kissed anyone before. And I had to sort of sit with that just for a second, just to process because it wasn't something that had actually crossed my mind that he hadn't even hissed a girl. I was, I think, feeling mixed emotions, so it was still looking at him being like, oh, I still actually don't know if I'm attracted to you.
Speaker 2: So he was this six foot.
Speaker 3: Three guy with shoulder length brown hair and facial hair, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, typically, that's that sounds pretty hot.
Speaker 3: But there was something that I think was stopping me from fully leaning in in a way. And I don't know if it was more this focus emotionally on this is someone I want to help, but there was there was obviously enough sexual tension. I guess that we sort of continue trying to figure out one another.
Speaker 2: On that weekend, we did end up.
Speaker 3: In bed together, and what I remember is it being you don't get a manual on it, and you know how logistically, but I think when you're.
Speaker 2: Both that nervous and very much sober. It's kind of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he was struggling a little bit, and I had made a comment that it shouldn't be that hard, and he obviously didn't take that well and it wasn't said in the way that it came out, and I tried to obviously can't take it back, but I tried to smooth that over a little bit and try to explain what I meant. But he had absolutely taken that heart. He kept saying how attracted he was to me and everything. But I did know that he was still incredibly anxious, and I did sort of try to give him some space.
Speaker 2: But we were in a one bedroom room.
Speaker 3: So he's sitting there at the table, and it was awful because his head's in his hands, and I was like, oh God, again, how do I make this better for him or make him feel more comfortable with what's just happened, And how do I say it's okay, let's just give.
Speaker 2: It another go.
Speaker 3: And we did, and then that happened, and yeah continued, I guess, just to explore one another a little bit during that night. The next day, I remember waking up and it was just like, oh, oh, yeah, we did this yesterday. We finally ended up meeting and we have connected, and yes, super awkward, but this is going to be hilarious for us to go back and tell our friends about anyway. But I feel like there's still enough here that we have met and I'd like to see you again, so.
Speaker 2: We kind of yeah. Continued that same.
Speaker 3: Thing for the next two days, where it very much felt like spending a lot of time in bed. I do actually remember looking at the ceiling a lot. I'd made a few comments because I start to get Cavin fever, and again, when I'm in a different state, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what's there to see? What's there to do?
Speaker 3: Take me out and show me around, show me where you went to school or you know, where you worked, or where you've lived before, and things like that. So I really wanted to be more part of his journey and see more of his life and his upbringing, and he would just shut it down and it would be a no, no, we're comfortable here. I'm not really comfortable going out, and I'm feeling really anxious, and I don't drive, so we would have to get onto the train or the bus and do those things, and I just want to spend the quality time with you.
Speaker 1: Once the initial awkwardness was out of the way, the connection they had was even clearer. They'd had a great time, so started talking about if or.
Speaker 3: When it could happen again, and it was a this has been really lovely and I actually do want to see you again, so can we can we talk about seeing each other again, and for him it was the same conversation of all, I want to see you again, absolutely, but I don't have the money to be able to book that right now. I can't come and see you. And I had said, that's fine, how bad. I just booked the plane for you. I'd love for you to come to Melvin to see me and see where I grew up and all those same things that I wanted to experience with him, and he agreed to that at that point in time. So yeah, I think we left feeling quite giddy still about one another and that there was still a connection there, and it was all kind of cute and awkward in a way that you almost expect as a teenager, that real sort of excitement and butterflies and cringe, Like there's plenty of cringe. But I remember getting back on that plane and I had the rose, and everyone that would walk past would comment how nice it was that I'd been given a rose for Valentine's Day, and that sort of became his thing, I think, to give me flowers.
Speaker 2: True, that was.
Speaker 3: Never something I'd received from man before. Flowers was never a thing. So it was nice that he had that romantic.
Speaker 2: Touch and it had worked.
Speaker 1: The feelings were well and truly there even before this initial meeting.
Speaker 2: Before we had even met. I think we'd only been.
Speaker 3: Texting for about three weeks when he used the LT word, and a big part of me was like, oh, this is love bone. You've never even met me, how can you use that word? But even saying that was almost like I knew that he meant it, and I knew that for him it was very real. So it did take me back for a bit also because I don't I'd never said that to anyone else before either, and it definitely took me a bit longer to say it back. But it wasn't something that he would then shy away from after he'd said it.
Speaker 2: I would say after.
Speaker 3: We left that first time of meeting that we were in a relationship, that we had both agreed yep, boyfriend and girlfriend, and probably from his side of things, he probably would have said that happened much earlier, and I guess technically I wasn't seeing anyone else, I wasn't talking to anyone else, so without the label, we'd both I guess, committed to one another in that space without using the terminology. But I can see that it was an important thing for him to feel anyway, because he could be quite jealous, so if I went out with friends, he would blow my phone up and be sending me lots of text messages just to not necessarily a way of accusing me of anything, but just more I'm here. Let me know that you know I'm still important to you as well. If you respond, then I know that I'm on your mind as much as you're online. So I guess for me, it took me at least two to three months longer to use that our word. I wanted to ensure that I was ready enough then I really did genuinely feel it, rather than just saying it to appease him or to reassure him, So that in itself was quite a special moment.
Speaker 2: I think of the two of us.
Speaker 3: It was a genuine connection between the two of us. There was a lot of really sweet moments, and again I think he was very thoughtful. He was very much as I think his love language was gift getting. For my birthday, he had gone for a walk down to the park and just picked a whole lot of flowers and sent me photos and said, I'm not with you for your birthday, but just so you know, these are few and I'm thinking of you, and if you were here, i'd be able to give them to you. There was a time where he sent me Beats headphones to my work that I had sort of said, I'd prefer time with you over gifts like and that is something that I quality. Time for me much more important than receiving these headphones.
Speaker 2: But thank you. That was really thoughtful.
Speaker 3: But continued to do those things, so in a way it was this hard thing for me. Well, he's thinking of me, and he wants to spend what he has on me to let me know because we can't physically be together all the time, so he's trying to let me know in his own way that he's thinking of me.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what every girl wants? You know?
Speaker 3: You know, a man to send her nice things and to be thinking of her and try to make her life easy with the things that he's sending, because that was something for him too. That he would often send me things that I would in a passing comment say that I needed, and in a day or two it would show up on my doorstep or at the work office. And he would often be sending me flowers to the office as well, so my desk was always filled in different bouquets of flowers. And obviously that there was a fair bit of jealousy I think in the office because of that, but it was very romantic, so there was that side of him letting He was trying to let me know that he would take care of me, even if he wasn't able to do that there physically.
Speaker 1: But when were they seeing each other physically.
Speaker 3: We were probably seeing each other every three months, and if I had to take off a couple of extra days from work, then I would do that to have a longer period of time with him. But it was for the first three years it was me traveling to see him getting a plane there, and when I would suggest to him that he comes to me, he would say, I'm just not ready to do that, and I don't think a plane. So there were a couple of times I did actually just gone by him a flight and he would say, I'm not ready to get on that plane. And I'm also someone that struggles a fair bit with anxiety too, so I think I really related to some of what he was saying and just thought, my goodness, this could still really be something if I can help him through this. But as someone who has some shared experiences, I've been able to create my own tools to move past a lot of those feelings, and maybe it takes the baby steps, So maybe I have to role model some of that to him first and meet him halfway. So get him to a point where he's comfortable and confident enough in me to be able to support him through some of those challenges that he's facing. I think I in my head thought, just give him a little bit more grace, a little bit more time, and he'll be able to push through this.
Speaker 1: The best way she could help for now was not forcing him to get on a plane, so she kept on flying up to him, but after a few times, not even that would always go to plant.
Speaker 3: There were times where I would walk down to go and collect him and he would walk straight past me and go straight into the elevator. I'd be like, oh, well, that's not the way that I was hoping to be greeted after not seeing you for a couple of months, and he's like, we just need to get up to.
Speaker 2: The room, and his anxiety would be so bad. I did make his fortieth birthday very special.
Speaker 3: I had booked hotel room that was overseeing the Sydney Harbor Bridge.
Speaker 2: It was stunning.
Speaker 3: I had ordered a whole lot of balloons as well, with helium balloons that covered the room, so that when he would walk in, there'd be all of these balloons and he's got this beautiful sort of sight of the bridge. And he, yeah, just stopped messaging me, and so I was waiting for him, just sitting there. He showed up the next day, and you know when that happens, I think the endorphins all kicking and you're all excited again. And we were able to spend a little bit of time together. But I'd spent a lot of money and it had hoped that he'd be more respectful of me to at least give me a heads up, but he almost turned it around that it was my fault because I knew that he was anxious and that he has a lot of challenges being able to work up the courage to be able to get on public transport to come and see me. There was definitely more times where he was late or had me feeling really disappointed and just sad, really really sad. I think there were the times that I would get because I would get dressed up. I would spend hours in the morning shower and the hair and the makeup and picking the perfect outfit, even though I knew we were just going to sit in that room, we weren't going to go anywhere, but it was just a I want to look good for you, and I want you to be impressed when you see me. It was also a time where I assumed he was coming. It was actually my thirtieth birthday. I purchased a flight for him to come and see me, and I just didn't hear from him. It was absolutely just went mia And obviously my response to that was really pissed off with you. You know, this was my thirtieth birthday. You had an opportunity to make that really special. But not only are you not showing up, you just disappear. I think I messaged him that morning because I knew that he was supposed to be on the flight, and I messaged a few times and it was like, I'm hoping that you're at the airport, or I hope you have a safe flight, and there was just nothing, and so at that point that he should have been on the flight, I just texted and said I assume you're not coming, and didn't get anything for several hours afterwards. But when he did reply, it was a you know that I wasn't going to come anyway, and I was like, well, no, I didn't. You would agreed to I knew that there was a chance that you wouldn't, because obviously, you know your anxiety has been so significant up until this point. However, you told me that you want to be there, and I did think for my thirtieth birthday that you would do everything in your power to push through in a way that I would for you. I tried giving him the tools because I was like, I understand anxiety enough that you need a little bit more help than just what I'm offering. So I said to him, I understand that you're probably gonna have to go and see your doctor and ask for a mental health care treatment plan. I think therapy would be fantastic, and I think therapy would be fantastic for everyone, but also you're likely to need medication because of how significant your anxiety is. And there was always these excuses for him as to why he couldn't do that. So for the first three years, every two to three months, I would go and be in that same situation where I would just sit and cry, and I was absolutely devastated every single time. Because I always thought that it would be different. It became incredibly financially challenging for me. He would where he could, he would absolutely contribute, you know, on occasion. There were times where he absolutely would pay for a flight. But I started realizing quite early on it as well that the way that he would get his money he was uncent to link. But that wasn't enough for him to live, let alone be able to provide anything. So horse racing was something that he had a keen interest in and it became significantly gambling generally on the Fridays and Saturdays with the big days for him. When he first started talking about the gambling it, he wasn't using those terms of gamble you know, it was very much like I struggle financially because I cannot work because of my anxiety being so significant that I need to find other ways to make money, and the way that.
Speaker 2: Works best for me is horses.
Speaker 3: He'd said in the past he had come to Melbourne and he'd gone to the races and made this much money, and he's like, it's just something I like doing because it's a little bit of extra cash. Then I know my rent's paid, but I might be able to get myself some shoes as well without extra cash. But it's something that I'm really good at, that I've always been good at, and that's how I'll make my extra cash until I'm able to get myself a job. So for me, it was kind of like, I can understand it's just a means to an end. But as time went on, and it was every Friday and Saturday, and then his mood would shift depending on whether or not he would win or lose.
Speaker 2: If he lost a lot.
Speaker 3: Of money, he'd go silent on me, and then it would be things he would say, things like, you take up all my time, so I can't study the form. So if I didn't have this time with you, and it wasn't focusing on you. Then maybe I would have money, and maybe I would have all these things in my life that I want and I need, and I would allow the way that he reacted to me or responded to me affect my overall wellbeing. I think so if he was mad at me, then I would just feel really crappy for the rest of the day, and I would then do everything I could to try to make it up to him, because I could see that he was spending a lot of time on me, and I could see that it might stop him from doing those things.
Speaker 1: This brought in another even bigger issue between them, one that could have and maybe should have broken them, and well did kind of.
Speaker 2: We would break up every three days pretty much without fail.
Speaker 3: There would be an argument between the two of us, where it would either be it would be either of us initiating that. It might be just me saying this isn't working for me, this is not I want what I want, or it would be him saying, actually, I need to focus in on myself and get myself sorted. I can't be with someone right now. And the fights were bad, they were really bad, and it kind of almost just started to feel like a bit normal, and I knew it wasn't like you know in your head it isn't, but you also when you want something so badly, and I think for me, I didn't have anything to compare it to, and I don't think he did either, So it kind of felt like, well, the fighting is because we love each other so much.
Speaker 2: It's passion.
Speaker 3: And he would use those words. If I had asked him to describe our relationship all love, he would say it's all consuming and intoxicating, and he would use that sort of language to describe our relationship, which I'd just be like, oh, wow, someone feels that way.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's such beautiful.
Speaker 3: Works and then really not, they're really not be in those moments, you're you're absolutely yeah. Like I was besotted with him still, but it was his.
Speaker 2: Push and pull. He could get nasty as well.
Speaker 3: There were times where he would make really awful comments about my body, and the one thing that I refused to ever do was do the same to him, so I would never ever comment about him physically. In those moments, I think they go hard. So when we would have those fights, he would then come back and be like, that was an awful thing for me to say and apologize and aget. In your head, you're like, Okay, they realize that they've done something wrong and they say they won't do it again, and unfortunately it was something.
Speaker 2: That would continue.
Speaker 3: It was really hard for me to reconcile how someone who says that they're in love with me so deeply could say such awful things about me. But yet obviously then he would try to do the repair work. And still in my head it was like, the good times are great, but for me it was this awareness with the bad times are incredibly bad, and is this what love is?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: You see the movies and you sort of see that there's this deep and really awful things happen, but in the end they end up together.
Speaker 2: It's all happy endings.
Speaker 3: So even though I kind of had a lot of my friends saying this guy is not good for you, none of this is good for you, for me, it was almost trying to let my friends and family know that I understand where they're all coming from. I get it. I'm not stupid. However, I'm just not ready to end things yet. And also I feel like I've got some work to do with him. I'm not ready to give up on this. Those fights I would say were more regular than anything, but the days in between for the things that kept me coming back, And that's always I think that the challenge there that you're just like, but it could get better, because I can see the connection is so strong on those days that we're not fighting. And then obviously you know once you you have a bit of a breakup, but you get back together, there's all the love stuff that happens although you again and all of those feelings all again, which was just so strong that they felt like they took over.
Speaker 1: As time went on, the problems and the blame got worse and harder for Gen to see herself getting out of.
Speaker 3: There was a couple of conversations late at night and we would both be up on the phone, even though I had worked the next day. I'd be up on the phone with him because he would make comments about how he wasn't going to be able to go on and that he would need to harm himself or kill himself, and so I was like, well, I can't get off the phone now and just say hey, I've got work tomorrow, so I've got to go to sleep. I would stay up and try to support him. Feel like those conversations were quite regular and terrifying. You don't want to hear anybody say that they feel that they don't have any other choice but to go down that path. And I would try to problem solve with him, and he'd gotten to a point as well where we had discussed that maybe he needs to look at accessing his superannuation, and he ended up doing that. Now that I know that he doesn't have anything left, that's still a concern because you think, okay, if you tap into that, which I know is not easy as well, it's really sort of dire if they're going to approve that he had sourced everything that he could at that point. So I did feel sorry for him. Even when I felt there was another way to do things, he wasn't able to bring himself to get there. So yeah, for me, it was, oh, this is a problem, this is a major problem. Let me try to help you and his contacts. Let's do some research about some other avenues that we can try. But for him that was always a reason as to why he could not do that. It was always anxiety. It was challenging for him to leave the house at all. So the only time he would really leave would be at nighttime and he would walk to the colls. He would only ever use self checkout. If there was anyone to speak to, he wouldn't do it. He would actually just see it, drop the basket and leave. And that's pretty much the only time he would go out, which also caused issues because he would have to have appointments with the centraling office and the job provider, and a lot of those appointments he would cancel too, but they would say, you need a certificate. If you're saying that you have anxiety and that's why you can't work, then we need a certificate.
Speaker 2: And then he couldn't go to the doctor because his anxiety was too high to get there.
Speaker 1: There is another part to this, Dear Listener that Jen hasn't mentioned yet. Outside of the relationship, she of course had a life and career of her own, and that career was in the mental health space, working with people who battled with these exact issues.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if for a lot of other people it'd be like, what the hell's going on here? You're a huge mess. But I also wonder, with what I do for a living, if for me I was like I see this every day. It was obviously a concern, but I was also like, because I work with this, I've got some tools for you, and this is how I would approach this with clients. And that obviously changed the dynamic between us two because it became more of a caseworker and client dynamic. So yeah, there was that challenge I think as well, and it was just I can fix him. It might have been an extended period time between we've seen each other, and we would say to one another, it's okay, we will be together again and everything will be better, Like the two of us will be happy in those moments, and we know that we can make each other's lives better and we would absolutely hold on to that soul. I would be looking at the calendar for the next year, for the next twelve months, and I'd be looking through for all of the public holidays so that I knew that I could spend an extended period of time with him, because that's really all I was needing to be able to get through to that next moment. It felt almost like I was living for those moments that I would see him again, because it was it was the most exciting thing in my life at that time, in between the monotony.
Speaker 2: Of work, when we were together, it absolutely was.
Speaker 3: It just felt electric and I think we didn't want to stop touching each other.
Speaker 2: It felt new all the time. So yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: As much as I wanted to go out and have experiences with him, I ultimately just wanted to be with him and he was giving me that. So for me it felt almost like, well, you can't complain too much because really there's this electricity between us when we're together and we talk about anything and everything, and I felt like we could get really deep on an emotional level or a philosophical level, and that wasn't necessarily something that I was used to either, But yeah, we would challenge each other in a way that it was just like, let's talk all night. That's where we're happy, just talking all night about anything and everything. I absolutely think that. Yeah, the fact that I was his first kiss, we were both together sexually, you know that we were really we had only ever said I love you to each other, assuming first for us together, that bonded us in a way that you can't ever really break.
Speaker 1: If this was ever going to work, there was one non negotiable step Jen needed from Steve. She needed him to make the trip to her. It couldn't keep being one sided.
Speaker 3: It was after the three year mark that he did finally come to see me. He got on the lie eleven hour train ride.
Speaker 2: I'm just sitting there and counting down the minutes and be like, whereabouts are you? Now?
Speaker 3: Let me follow your route along the way, and it was a holy crap, this is actually happening. Here's that step that I have been waiting for. Yes, it's three years in, but I put my time in and maybe this is paying off. Maybe he is willing to try for me and make sure that he needs to do what he has to do to have a life together. You're here now I get to share my life with you. This is what it's going to look like.
Speaker 2: So there were you know, as soon as I picked him up. I remember sitting.
Speaker 3: Out something across station actually and just waiting and just being like, where is he. I'm going to be watching every single person come out of that train station, just waiting to see him. And it was probably one of the most exciting moments of my entire life, to be honest. And he walked out with his bag and I remember just watching him then walk down the street, and in a way I didn't even want to call out because I just was saving that moment. But it was just this, you're here, you are finally here, and this is what I've been waiting for for the last three years, and now what does this mean for our future? And I didn't want to get ahead of myself because I really did give him the if you can make it to Melbourne, I'll stop giving you a hard time, because what else.
Speaker 2: Have I got? You did the thing, You did the thing that I'd be needing.
Speaker 1: But it didn't go to plan. Even when he was there in Melbourne, his anxiety was too much. He couldn't or wouldn't leave the house. This devastated Jen. She'd finally thought Steve could see the life.
Speaker 2: They could have together.
Speaker 3: He's sitting at my house general in bad while I'm at work, and I would come home and find him in the exact same spot that I left him that morning. And it was yet this real realization of You're not contributing in any way, and I'm starting to feel like you are my dependent and when you start to change up that dynamic in a relationship. It wasn't something that I wanted. I got the cabin fever at home, and so I was like, let's jump in the car. We're going for a drive. And we went up to the Pink Lake a pin Dimbula and it was something that I'd always wanted to do, and I had just seen photos and thought, amazing, what a beautiful day out for the two of us that we could go on a nice date. We had done the drive up and we sort of pulled over it and there weren't too many cars there, and I thought, well, this is amazing. We were pretty much have the whole place to ourselves. And he just refused to get out of the car, and it didn't matter what I said to him. I tried to explain that there was no one there, and I said all you need to do is and it wasn't far I tried to explain to him. I was like, I'll go down there myself it sussed out, and come back and report so that you know that there's nothing to worry about. But yet he absolutely refused to get out of the car. And it made me really sad as I because I thought, I'm not giving up on this opportunity. I'm going down there myself but and if that's the case, And I did do that myself, but there was this huge sadness and sense of life. I guess of he's here with me, but he just can't get out of the car. And what does that mean for any sort of life that we have together. If we're not doing anything together, we're not experiencing life together. How do you grow together? If that's the case, you'll never meet any of my friends or come to parties or weddings or funerals with me to support me. And it was this major realization that really just broke my heart in that moment, because it was You've got everything here. Everything you ever wanted is here, and everything I ever wanted, and you can't bring yourself to take these steps. So once I sort of got back in the car, he sensed that I was very sad I think about it, and he said, well, park around the corner. And so we'd gone and driven a little bit further down and the only way that he would get out of the car was when there was no one around and we were in the middle of the bush like that was really like you couldn't see the lake from where he was willing to get out of the car. It was just full of shrub and I was like, well, now I'm just getting bitten by bugs, So I don't really this is no longer romantic or call or fun. This wasn't the experience that I wanted. I think that then just yes solidified that to me, and you know, you do sort of question, You're like, well, do you just not want to be seen with me? Is there more here? Is it more going on for you than just feeling his anxiety? And please try to explain it to me. What's your experience? What are your symptoms that you notice? Because I did try to help him through all of that, but it was always.
Speaker 2: Still for me.
Speaker 3: At some point, I have to be selfish and this isn't This isn't what I want out of life. Yes, you're here with me, but I'm giving up and I'm sacrificing everything I ever wanted. I want a partner to travel with. I want to see the world. I want to do new things. I want to do things that scare me. And that was just not where he was at. And how am I supposed to live with this? What happens if I get pregnant? And that for me set me into a spiral because it was this worst case in It like an absolute nightmare for me to consider that I may end up pregnant with his child and have to go to all of those appointments myself. It would be he'd be they're still with his mum and he would never really see the child unless I were to bring that child into Steak and that terrified me to think.
Speaker 1: This realization fell on Jen like a ton of bricks, but she didn't know what to do. They had another weekend booked in together, this time a trip away on the fourth anniversary of their first meeting. Would it be make or break.
Speaker 2: Again Valentine's Day? I think it was twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: We had gone away and gotten an airbnb and we had this beautiful time together. But the end of that I think I had gotten a flat tire. At the time, I had gone over something and he wasn't even able to get out of the car and really help me. He did eventually do it by looking at a YouTube c lip, but I just went through this panic of he can't help me in a lot of situations. So that was sort of the start of me saying I'm on my own. I'm very much just doing the role of everything right now, and it's not what I want.
Speaker 1: She couldn't keep going, but how is she going to wind it? She felt immense guilt about his mental little health and not being able to help him get better. But did you pick up on the timing of that Airbnb trip, dear listener? It was February twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: It would have been earlier on in some of the shutdowns in Melbourne during COVID times that I realized, well, we can't even see each other even if we wanted to, that idea that we would be locked down in different states, and how long is this going to go for? I had no idea, nobody else did either, and I couldn't give us an indication of when we would be able to get back to any sense of normalcy in or normal life. And I didn't want to waste any more time. Had previously made comments to him about how maybe we should consider open relationships because I wanted opportunities to be able to explore other connections with people. If he wasn't able to ever commit fully to me in a way that I wanted him to by me moving with me in Melbourne, and he would always shut it down. So I think when the lockdowns happened, I almost took it upon myself, I think, to continue to explore things. It was also the push that I needed that took I mean, it was a choice that was removed from me. Lockdowns were lockdowns. The choice that I had was to open myself up to the connections with others. All of a sudden that changed everything, and there was this excitement of there are other men potentially out there for me that I could have connections with that actually have incredible qualities and traits that are a better fit.
Speaker 1: So she dipped her toe back into online dating.
Speaker 3: So it was really difficult because I would start talking to someone and then he would jump back in and it wasn't appropriate or fair on my behalf to do what I did, because I think I wasn't open and honest with him a lot of the times when I was talking to others, and it was him being sexually inappropriate and sending me text messages about things that we had done together, and it was almost a reminiscent of all I missed doing this with you, And it was almost this realization for him of well, I don't actually want to break up because every were really good times with us, so I thought, well, this relationship was more than just sex.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 3: It was a lot more than that. And it felt like he was dwindling everything just down to something physical, which yeah, again made me really sad, but also felt incredibly degrading as well. It was really this dismissal of the connection that we had for something physical. And at that point I had sort of said to Steve, I can't see.
Speaker 2: Us seeing each other again.
Speaker 3: I thought, no, I'm not going to sit here and be waiting to see him again. I don't know how long that will be. I've got too much life to live still. I'm still young enough and pretty enough to meet someone else and to have ongoing experiences and continue to grow than to wait.
Speaker 2: For a man to be ready.
Speaker 1: So finally, after almost five years, Jen told Steve this was it.
Speaker 3: I had messaged him and said, this will be the last breakup. There's nothing left that I had to say, because we've had so many breakups before that we've actually said it all. I'm like that this will be the last time. I don't feel like I need to say anything else. I don't need anything else from this because I know it won't lead to anything, and I was feeling really confident in that, and I think him feeling quite hurt, probably very very rejected as well, just went straight on to the attack.
Speaker 2: I think, and.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's really really awful things. And I got to the point where it's like, I don't need to listen to this. I don't need to feel sorry for you and feel like you need your closure, So i'll give you that. You're now just being so incredibly offensive and degrading if someone you said you loved. I'm not listening to this anymore and hit the block button. He then utilized email and used a few different platforms to try to communicate so that he could continue to say his piece, and unfortunately he kind of went back and forth with the I love you, I'm sorry, things should have been different, and.
Speaker 2: You're an awful person.
Speaker 3: You'll never find anyone else. Me telling him that I had seen other men resulted in him being very angry and becoming very nasty towards me.
Speaker 2: I think every.
Speaker 3: Time I started to question whether or I had made the right decision, there would be an email or one of those little notes on a different platform again having a go at me. So I had to go through that for a bit of time. But he also needed that time, I think, to be able to vent and get his frustrations at I just didn't want to respond to give any more ammunition to that. Just do your think and yeah, I'll try moving on the best that I can. It's funny because I think that I thought that I was going to miss him, but it's almost like I had done all that grieving throughout the relationship, the tears, the amount of tears that I had shed for this person during the relationship. I had nothing left at that point. Once I had made that decision to end it, it was done. But I could see this whole future for myself. That really excited me. There was a whole new sense of confidence that came with that that it was I've made the biggest decision of my life up until now. I gave someone five years of my life, and now I'm so ready to tackle new things. I went and did a couple of trips overseas and did that solo and met a whole lot of new people. I had experienced it as I'd always wanted and didn't let anyone stop me, or the fact that I didn't have someone to share it with. I was going to make those experiences my own and do the best that I possibly could with those So I felt like I had grown so much more into such a short space of time because of that. I think the supports that I tapped into was my best friend. I've known her since I was thirteen, so being able to share those experiences with her, cry on her shoulder during the happy and the really sad times, I don't know what I would have done without her. And I think besides that, then it was the journaling I've got about ten that had just filled with stuff about Steve like it really is, And I find it helpful to be able to read back to that, to be able to reflect on my own thoughts and feelings during that time and the way that I behaved or the way that he behaved, and what would I do differently from that. If they're not a right fit, they're not a right fee. You're supposed to just go your separate ways. You're not supposed to continually go at them about how they need to be better. You do look back and you think you've wasted a lot of time, But where we were both at that time in our lives.
Speaker 2: It's like we needed each other.
Speaker 3: And there was a lot of learning I think for the both of us, and I would like to think that he's learned a lot from the relationship. So I do think that that was a large chapter, a very large chapter that I can put down and sort of say, well, that was my first experience of love, and that's not what I want being forward. But there are definitely elements from that that I have appreciated so much about him as a person and what that's meant for me as a person, what I can give back. I've not seen him again. I did actually hear from him six months ago. He did send me a text message and say, I've just put you down as a reference for a rental property. I'm still living with my mum and my brother, but I need to put someone down and I don't know anyone else. And that made me feel really sad, really sad that he literally did not have a single person in his life besides his brother and mother who he can't put down because they're moving into the same property that he could ask that he had to come to his ex. I do hope that he can get to a point where he addresses his mental health in a meaningful way. I would love to see him have more quality of life, because I don't think he has that. For me now, I am newly married, or got married four months ago, to a lovely guy. He is beautiful, and we just found out that we were pregnant. I'm going our first baby on the way, so that's incredibly exciting for us. Got a house as well that we're living, and I love my job, and I just think that this is the best place that I've ever been in. And if I think back to sort of five years, this is everything that I wanted for my future, and it can sometimes feel like a bit of a dream, I think to finally get there. I absolutely think that if I hadn't met Steve and met him at that time, the things that I have now wouldn't have aligned, because I think, obviously I know that my partner was in a relationship at that time, that we both needed to have these experiences at that time to then come together and to meet one another when we did. So. I do hope that then that's the same for Steve, that he's able to get to a point in his life where everything will fall into the pieces that they're supposed to.
Speaker 1: Everyone Has an ex is a Minti Media production and proudly part of the Mumma Mea Network. This episode is written and narrated and interview conducted by me Georgia Love and produced by Linda Scott. If you have a story you'd like to share, email podcast at momamea dot com dot a U. You can support us by following the show in your favorite podcast app and leaving a five star review.
Speaker 2: We'll see for the next one.