Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom and mea podcast. Mom and Mayor acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to Cancel, the podcast that looks at silly celebrity crimes and as science charges and sentences to them so that we can all move on with our lives. My name is Jesse Stevens and I'm joined by Claire Stevens and Claire. Today we are talking about Billie Eilish Love.
Speaker 2: Hi Mina Class, My mon Stone.
Speaker 3: I'm really flipped out by teenagers, dude, but I am one too, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'll make it into a game.
Speaker 1: If they'll say something.
Speaker 4: I'll be like, oh my god, I love this thing, and they'll be like I love it too, And then immediately I'll be like, no, I hate that, and they're like, oh, I hate it too. And it's like weird that it works because it's sad, because it's like, just.
Speaker 1: Be real, like what are you doing.
Speaker 4: I don't want to talk to a clone on myself.
Speaker 2: I don't even like myself. If someone's like, oh god, you're so you fall apart so much, like you're so annoying, Like you're always fucking like sad. I'm like, I know I have to be in this bitch all the time, Like I'm aware of how annoying it is.
Speaker 1: May you please guess the middle is Billy Eilish her real name. Yeah, yep, wow, Okay, you got three seconds three two one Joe. Well, well do you mean Joe? I meant Joel. Okay, no, it's Pirate. Her full name Pirate is in as in the criminal. Her full name is Billy Eilish, Pirate Beard O'Connell. Okay, okay, Well, technically pirate is the middle name because you're right in the middle. Well, no, i'd say Eilish. Well, then what's pirate? It's her confirmation she's nacked up to Saint Pirates. Yeah, oh the rough sea. Yeah, it's for when your boat gets crashed, you pray to Saint Pirate. I'm just thinking how as an adult, pirates come up enough, and Pirates are really fun because and this is the reason they're just telling Captain Philip Captain Phillip, sir, Yes, I watched it recently. Yeah, can confirm still a brilliant film. Well, what I will say is Pirates should come up more because pirates are real. They are real, and it's like they don't bear much of resemblance to the pirates and children's books, which are fun because it's like walking the plank and like they have a hook an Yeah yeah, yeah, but still I still think sea criminals are an interesting brand of criminals. I do too that we don't talk about it enough because I'm always like, how do you bought the boat? Because it's like, don't they just not let you on the boat. No, because they get these ladders you see. And Captain Pilott. She was born in two thousand and eleven. I hate which makes her four years old. She rose to twenty. She was not born in twenty eleven. Fuck, you know, I'm just like sick when it comes to number. It was two thousand and one, correct, Yeah, because twenty eleven she'd be thirteen, which is thirty. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: She was born in two thousand and one, one year after the Sydney Olympic Games. She rose to fame in twenty fifteen. She was fourteen years old, and she rose to fame with Ocean Eyes. Since then, she sung the theme song for James Bond and for Barbie. She won the Academy Award for both name and award. She's won it. She's in the Guinness Book of World Records. Hold on, you didn't give me a chance? Oh name an award an Aria. I wouldn't be surprised. She doesn't want that, long doesn't want it. She's in the Guinness Book of World Records. And then I went, I wonder what she's in the Guinness Book of World Records for? And then I didn't google it, but instead I got stuck in a rabbit hole of Remember how in two thousand the Guinness Book of World Records was obsessed with how far you could pop your eyeballs out of bed? That was on the cover. That was on the cover, Like imagine if she was in there for something really not related, not related, like oh, she's actually consumed the most big max in a lifetime, or she can do a good ten point five centimeters with the eyeballs. And every time they did it, I went, don't it's not good because it popped them out. I know the retina's going to detach her. It's not worth it for a record. Yeah, and I shouldn't do that. I remember looking at that and thinking, I wonder if I can do that if I tried, I'm too scared to try. Yeah, I don't need the record. Yeah, look that was all in two thousand. She wouldn't remember. She was only one anyway. No, when she wasn't formed, you're so bad at mad. I don't know when she was born old, she was gestation. She was either gest dating or she was an a testicle. Yeah. Anyway, just because her frontal lobe isn't fully developed yet doesn't mean that she hasn't been canceled a number of times. My structure for today is as follows, calling people who sleep walk creepy, don't laugh, people who sleep walk are really upset, being mean to men who are ugly looking, oh no, having some feedback for rap music, a racist slur, queer baiting, and a weird, gross and also wrong Halloween costume. Oh no. Firstly, calling people who sleep walk creepy a tale as old as time. In twenty nineteen, Billie Eilish was interviewed by Pitchfork, and I'm going to play you an excerpt of what she said in this interview. I don't sleep walk. Shit is terrifying. That's terrifying.
Speaker 3: And then there's like stories about people like waking up with like a knife, like over someone and they don't remember it. Okay, Oh sleepwalking, Oh sleep bark That shit is creepy. Tie yourself to your bed.
Speaker 1: I don't care. Do some bondage on yourself. I don't care. Claire, this interview, which appears to have very few questions, is ten minutes long. And is it just an eighteen year old running her mouth on thoughts. It's Billy Eilish musing about sleep barbing everything you can possibly imagine. I've never heard anything like it. She does say sleepwalking is creepy, which is what seems to happen when you just sit someone in front of a camera and demand they speak indefinitely the weird things I would say if given free rein the weird places, because you know you're in a conversation sometimes with someone quiet or who hasn't given you anything. Oh you go weird, and you go weird to fill the silence. And then you're like, I don't even think that. No, I don't think she thinks sleepwalking is creepy. I just think she ran out of things to say. But on that sleepwalking is creepy, it is that's not offensive to people with sleepwalk. That's offensive to sleepwalking, and sleepwalking isn't offended. If it is, that's creepy, that is creepy. And in fact, she says that if you sleepwalk, you should like tie yourself to the bed or something so you don't sleepwalk. Yeah, great, we should. We should live in a Billie Eilish for more solutions from more solutions to life, because when you are that age, you have a lot of time to problem and solve. Yeah, when you're kind of older and like, I don't know, let's say you've got a bunch of kids and like you've got a full time job, you don't have time to solve sleepwalking. No, you just kind of do it and find yourself with a knife over your partner going, I've really got to get this sorted for ten years. And sleepwalking, it shouldn't happen when you're sleeping. You should be lying down in bed, not walking around. True or false? Okay, I said to mom recently, I remembered that when we were little. She told me. When I was like five, I said, I want to sleep in my shoes because that's the kind of weird thing a kid says. And Mom said, if you sleep in shoes, you will sleep walk. And I said to her the other day, I think I've believed that until now. I want one hundred percent believe that if I were to sleep in my shoes, I'd walk around my house potentially the block. And I have no evidence that that wouldn't happen, because it's like, in my head it was like, oh yeah, because your body's like kind of primed, walk here. It makes total sense. Yeah, why do people who said, well, just take their shoes off so stupid? Later in the interview, she says parents who send their kids to school are I quote lazy as fuck because they're like, and I quote I don't want to teach you, bitch. For context, Eilish was homeschool She's never been to school, and she said she learned maths from cooking with her mum, and she learned how to build shit from her dad. I'm not in the business of canceling people, but if I was going to comment on one element of this interview, I think would be the time that she called all parents lazy as fun her kids to school to learn. That's interesting because it's like, okay, Billie Eilish, if you wanted to have kids in a decade. Are you prepared to not do anything else because you're just homeschooling them. I didn't want to homeschool my children. I don't have enough of the knowledge. No, sounds like a nightmare. Anyway. I loved this YouTube comment that read, I feel like whenever she talks, it's like she's having a conversation with herself. Yes, because no one will ask a requestion no, and no one gives her anything no. So I'm listening to it and I'm like, she's trying to crack a joke here. Yeah, apparently her mom's there because she keeps referring to her mum, being like, mom, I slept talk once, didn't I. But her mum's not giving her a shit. So she's just lit up on a stool talking knowing her onto the topic of sleep. It's not usually wait interviews, Claire. I don't know how to be clear, they're in no question. The thing about she talks like having conversation with herself is the most accurate description of a press tour I've ever heard, because I feel like journalists just go go say the weirdest shit you can possibly think up and then Billie Eilish is like, pooping is underrated. That's a quote. Okay, why does it happen specifically with music like musicians, it's like no one knows what to ask. No, that's nothing like I've interviewed musicians. Yeah, this is the thing. If they have a story, yes, but most of the time they just wrote an album. Yeah, they wrote music and then they sit they didn't or they didn't They just sing, and it's like, how does it feel to sing? Like there's no questions Anyway, she did say pooping is underrated, and she said that they hold on day hold on. I agree, Well, like she's quite I think the wisdom is using. There was one day where she pooped eight times and it was one of the best days of her life. Okay, you know he can run. And she said, I was pooping dead at and it was good poops.
Speaker 3: One billion percent underrated. Pooping is my favorite part of the day. There was one day I pooped eight times. That was the best day of my life. And they were all solid good poops too, like no, like bullshit poops. You know what I'm saying. I wasn't like I'm done.
Speaker 1: And she said, if you don't enjoy pooping. And this is when she gets a ted talk. She gets a little bit on our high horse, and she gets a bit luxury. And she said, if you don't enjoy pooping because you're eating shit, Oh cat, I'm not the one pooping eight times in a day, am I? You had gastro all right? You know you can relate to the pooping eight times in a day? Who my little eight month old? But yeah, a day like that recently, well she said. Then she riffed on babies for a while, and she said babies like me because I am one of them or something. And then someone was like, this is just a line lifted from the office, and I was like, well, yeah, she's talking for ten minutes straight and she's eighteen. What she got to say. She's gonna say things that you saw on TV. Babies are drawn to me, and I think it's because they see me as one of them, but.
Speaker 4: Cooler and with my life put together a little bit.
Speaker 1: At one stage, she pauses and she burps unto. So that's when you've given somebody too much rope. You've given them just like I did that out too much to just do whatever. This brings us to the other controversial thing that she said in what I now referred to as a never ending interviews, since it's all the same interviews being mean to men who happen to be ugly looking. Claire, I would like you to listen to Billy's musings.
Speaker 6: Prom ew It's where the most beautiful girls get asked by the worst dudes to prom and they're like fuck because they finally found someone that likes them. Why is every pretty girl with a horrible looking man?
Speaker 1: Don't understand?
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm not shaming people for their looks, but I am. Though. You give an ugly guy a chance, he thinks he rules the world. I swear to God, because they got a hot girl, they can be horrible Like you're still ugly though, can't change that.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's like why like guys with small dicks get like huge mansions to make up for it, you know, or like like really nice cars.
Speaker 1: Would you like to hear her talk for another Okay, seventeen minutes about this point. That isn't entirely fully formed. It's got no music, it's got no it's nothing. It's just making a step. I know what you mean that she's not getting anything back. So usually when you're interviewed, somebody answers something, there's a full stop and you go, Okay, that's that's wrapped up, and then you keep going. Yeah, if it was a never ending answer, it's going to go to weird places. Do you think she's got a point? Do you think that hot girls end up with ugly guys and then ugly guys think they're awesome and they're mean to hot girls. It's called philosophies. I don't think. It's not something I worry about, all right, It's not something I think about that much. Well, Claire, if there is one group you cannot criticize on the internet, it's ugly guy. It's ugly man. Yeah, because they're there, they're waiting. They're like, I have been on the internet for sixteen hours today and you, little lady, have offended me. And you came up on my YouTube. And because I had nowhere Betty to be, I watched this whole thing, a weird interview, but you offended me. Well, some people got very mad because they saw the comments as shallow and shaming men for their looks. They argued there was a double standard because Eilish had talked in the past about being a victim of body shaming, and she's a champion of body positivity. One comment read she basically said, no guy deserves a good looking partner if he's ugly, because every ugly guy is a bad person to all that I know. Can you even paraphrase what she said? When it's just I just think my defense is it's going to be repeated over and over again. And she's eighteen, Yeah, and nothing makes sense. Name an eighteen year old who isn't shallow? Yeah, like what she's got like a perspective, I don't know even think she claims to. She was also talking about it in the context of prom and may I just say there is something funny about school formal slash proms whatever, because the girls have spray t habs, make up, false eyelashes, they have their hair done, They are wearing a ball gown that their mum got them from Westfield on sale and it's satin and they look twenty five yeah and beautiful. And little Harry over here is wearing a two big suit that mum bought him from tyro Cash. No he hired, he hired, which means he couldn't get it turned and I originally got his shoes from pay less. He did get his shoes from payless. He's not wearing a cologne. He didn't even bother with a cologne. Didn't have to shave. He's got my facial hair. He's brushed his hair, but it looks worse. And if he's feeling special, he did ask to get his top braces removed today today for the UK new color. Yeah, he said, I'll get black for the formal. Yeah, it is black ties. I'll get black elastics. He might be wearing a jaunty sock to mark the occasion. But the photos are ridiculous. They really go to show socialization, socialization, and we as a culture don't laugh at them enough. We are so brainwashed into thinking that it's normal that his suit doesn't fit, denying it. He looks fourteen years old. He would rather be playing any video game than being here. That woman looks like she has four children at home. She looks like she's lived a life, she's spent She's spent a sickening amount of a thousand bucks. She doesn't have a family. Doesn't have to look like miss Universe. Yeah, and yeah, he does not look great. Next to her because of the amount of effort she's put in. I will say what I don't understand about Billie Eilish making this point is she never went to prom Christian She never went to prom. I don't really understand homeschool. I'm a bit like, what is your socialization? Yeah, it's genuinely confusing. I don't know, because like if you ever been to a prom, I don't think so. Anyway, I'm going to jump forward to November two, twenty twenty three, when the then twenty one year old singer was interviewed as part of Variety's Power of Women issue Oh Yes, I Love These. Eilish reflected on the scrutiny she received after wearing a tank top in public in twenty sixteen. Do you remember this. It's up a beige tank top and there were pat pictures and every tabloid in the world had a comment to make at the time. Because she was mostly seen in sort of baggy jumpers and baggy pants, the tabloids took this opportunity to say things like good for her for feeling comfortable in her bigger skin, or Billie Eilish looks unrecognizable. You know when the tabloids are like, we're not saying anything, We're just showing you these pictures and saying she's brave and inspiring for the leaving the house like that. Okay, Billy was sixteen years old. This is what she told Variety. Nobody ever says a thing about men's bodies. If you're muscular, cool, if you're not cool, if you're rail thin, cool, if you have a dad bod cool, if your pudgy love it. Everybody's happy with it. You know why, because girls are nice. They don't give a fuck, because we see people for who they are. The clip about the ugly men resurfaced and the Internet had a field day. Here was some of the commentary. We got a whole generation of men with serious image issues in the gym constantly. Someone said, I totally disagree. Short guys face a lot. Someone said, this is false and little tone deaf men receive criticism all the time for their bodies, Claire, do they? Well? I guess my thing is, I'm shocked that somebody in the early twenties is hypocritical, like, not entirely consistent with what I don't think. The brain, the part that's responsible for consistency has developed, has developed yet. Yeah, I know, I will say that there is no way that if Billy was a young male star, think like a Justin biebar Timothy Challow May. I've never heard a comment on any of those men's bodies. And there is not a woman from Sidney Sweeney to Zendeya to whoever who has escaped comment and it's different commentary. The commentary is different. And just the fact that you're allowed to be a man in just like a comfortable body in just an average comfortable body, and you're entitled to be there. That's radical if you're a woman. Yeah, all women kind of have to have the same body and if you don't have that body, then you don't get a job. Yeah, Like they are sort of the Joni Hills, and he's talked about that, and it's like a really valid point, but it's just not to the same extent. Also because you know how she kind of makes a point that I'm like, yeah, I see what you're saying, but then she tries to ted talk it. Yeah, she says, because girls are nice, they don't give a fuck, because we see people for who they are. It's like, hmm, No, it's more complicated than that because internalized misogyny. Patriarchy, yeah, patriarchy. Yeah, but she wouldn't have learn that word yet. No, she didn't go to school. No, having some feedback for rap music. It's twenty twenty and someone has put a microphone in front of an eighteen year old again, and they're refusing to ask a question. No, Jessie, and you better believe that Billie Eilish understands the assignment. Okay, she's gonna say something weird and controversial. She's speaking to Vogue and she's reflecting on how there's a difference between her music and the worker other artists put out, which I feel like is a dut point and like the talking points of every artist. Yeah, yeap. My manager, they're publicist or whatever, is like heires some talking points. This meant a lot to me. I'm sharing a new part of myself. My music is different to other people's music. That's it. She said. There's a difference between lying in a song and writing a story. There are tons of songs where people are just lying. There's a lot of in rap right now from people that I know who rap. It's like I got my AK forty seven and I'm fucking' and I'm like, what, you don't have a gun and all my bitches, I'm like, which bitches? That's posturing and that's not what I'm doing. Claire, What do you think of that comment? On the one hand, I agree that there's a lot of rap music I listen to. Sorry, there's not a lot of rap music. I don't really know it, but whenever I've listened to rap music, I have thought, there's no way this incredibly wealthy, successful artist who's rapping about being from the hood, I don't think his life actually looks like that anymore. Yeah, so that's one part. The second party is I think a lot of them probably do have guns and bitches. That's actually true. Some people saw this as Billy dismissing rap music as raally genuine and authentic, which is not what I heard. But I cannot stress this enough. Her fan base are on the internet a lot. They have a lot of free time, so they defend her when people no. No, the opposite. They have a lot of time to feel offense, to broadcast got it, to fight with others in the comments, a back seat offense, fight between themselves. Yes, yes, turn on each other activist and artist Ferrari Shepherd wrote, Billie Eilish will win even harder now that she's taken a colonial approach to hip hop. Would you prefer rap stories be one hundred percent nonfiction so we can produce more dead or incarcerated rap stars. Shut the fuck up and stay in your lane. That's the most Internet comment. I just think like you could read it like that, or you could read it as an eighteen year old who got famous when she was fourteen needs to who and who needs to be a specific question like this right absolutely would fly at a barbecue. Yeah, yeah, yeah, h In fact, you said that at a barbecue and people would go, that's such a good point, Billy. I bet they don't even have an AK forty or that many bitches, and then we all just move on. The problem is that Ferrari Shepherd saw it and was like, oh, use the word colonial. Now. What Eilish is talking about is a real phenomenon. There's all this analysis on rappers like one named Meek Mill and another named Little Dirk. I've never heard of these people, but they are literal millionaires and they rap about guns and violence and a lifestyle that like all this academic analysis has been like, this could not be further from their reality. And I'm not sure if it's those two, but a lot of them it's like they've never lived in this area. They're profiting off a lifestyle that they've never lived. It's fine. I don't have a massive problem with it. But Vogue asked Billy to speak for forty five minutes without drawing breath. We know what happens when that. Yeah, at last time, sleep walking screopy. It got to how many times she pood in a day, made that we didn't need that. Yeah, she's gonna say, don't be singing about having a gun when you don't even have a gun. Yeah, that's what she's gonna the hell she's going to die, she's trying to find He'll, yeah, yep. Stop asking an eighteen year old questions on literally anything if you don't want them to say dumb. She Okay, she's inevitable. It's a game. It's always going to go the same way. A racist slur. In twenty twenty one, Eilish is nineteen, a video went viral on TikTok. You know you're young when your first cancelations happen on TikTok es of her mouthing the words to a song that included a derogatory and racist term used to describe members of the Asian community. To be clear, this was an old video. She would have been about fourteen or fifteen when it was filmed. Then another video surfaced where she was speaking gibberish and some claim she was imitating an Asian accent. Eilish as a general rule, doesn't address controversy. She didn't come back for a lot of this stuff about body shaming. She's busy, for example, getting her new World records for the longest time spent in a snow globe. That's a real record. Wait, but she didn't break that. Okay, somebody, somebody spent the longest time in a snow globe. Yeah, but I don't know it's like a human size snow because I'm impressed if it's like a little one. Yeah yeah. Or see. This is the thing that's always annoyed me about Guinness World Records, though, is okay, fastest person is one, and then it's the weirdest things. I was like person to lay upside down in the podcast studio for the longest Well, I can do that because that's weird and no one else wants to do it. But you haven't done it, have you?
Speaker 5: No? No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's one that I read about the longest duration of balancing on one foot in heels. Guess how long that is? Three hours? Okay, it's one hour and three minutes. Oh see, I could do it. You can do that. I just don't want to. Yeah, okay, we should do it. I think that should be a thing of like the first half is fastest person in the water, fastest person in the land. Okay, yes, absolutely, and then there's just could do, didn't want to and it is and it's like on a lazy a. Yeah. Longest nails. Yeah, I'm like, sweet, you'd never cut your nails.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not paying that to the same extent as the fastest person. Yeah. I don't know what her world records are anyway. She did address this controversy. She said, I mouthed a word from a song that at the time I didn't know was a derogatory term. I am appalled and embarrassed and won a bath that I ever mouthed along to that word. Regardless of my ignorance and age at the time. Nothing excuses the fact that it was hurtful and for that I am sorry. She also denied the mocking an Asian accent. She said, no, I just speak gibberish, and I have no issue believing that she just actually assessing fast behavior m checks out. The person who released the video said she just wanted Eilish to address the recordings, and it's like, in that case, maybe send them to her privately and she could address you. Well, she'd say. She didn't reply. I don't think she tried. As an aside, if you actually care about acism, maybe don't broadcast a video to millions of people so that they can see themselves being mocked. I don't see how what you did was helpful because she's fourteen, she's done something stupid, which she regrets and which otherwise exists only in the depths of the internet for no one to see ever again, right, it's not like it's circulating unless you're circulating it to make a point. Okay, you just want to start shit on TikTok. Next point, who can blame her queer baiting. It's twenty twenty one and Billie Eilish posts a bunch of photos and videos from her Lost Cause music video. The caption read I love Girls. Some saw the post as Eilish coming out as a member of the LGBTQ plus community, but others saw her as being intentionally provocative to promote her new album. The comments on Instagram read Bestie, I don't know if you're queer baiting or not, but I'm really hoping you aren't because it's rude. Oh and was the word besting necessary? Yeah? Yeah, that makes it a bit condescending the cement. Another posted on Twitter, queer baiting is bad enough, but during Pride Month, I'm sorry, but no, were you not sorry? This is how they speak, Claire, Yeah, just troll, Yeah, just say what you mean, like the ugly men say what you mean? Yeah yeah, drop that. I'm sorry, drop the bestie And I guess at this point they don't really even have context on whether she is being authentic. Interesting point. Interesting point, So queer baiting the definition is essentially attracting an LGBT audience by hinting at same sex relationships that are never actually consummated. So Harry Styles has been accused of this as well. So I guess what we would need in this context is Billy to upload a video of her having sex with a woman, okay, to make sure while yelling I am a lesbian or I am bisexual? Maybe also having it printed on a card of Today's day yea yeah yeah. And I guess it's like we would then need to know how many people she slept with in order to honor scale judge how gay yea yeah, yeah, that's all for authenticity purposes. The Internet needs her to be authentic. Another person watched the film clip and commented, is Billie Eilish by or did I just watch four minutes of queer baiting done by a straight person? Everyone got very mad, and Billy posted a picture and was like, I am tired. And she was not having it, but she didn't say anything about the queer baiting accusations. After all, the brew haha. We haven't used that word enough on this podcast. Is a brew haha. Sometimes I think it's hoho ha ha. No, it's a different word. It's a brew haha, which is just like the drama brew haha. Is a brew haha. Okay, after all of the brew haha, Billie Eilish did come out in twenty twenty three, Billy mean, did you mean to come out?
Speaker 6: In the story.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't, but I kind of thought, wasn't it obvious, Like it's kind of been. I just I didn't realize people did it.
Speaker 1: No, so we need to get to a point where you don't even have to come out.
Speaker 5: So I just don't really believe in it. I'm just like, why can't we just exist? I've been doing this for a long time and I just didn't talk about it.
Speaker 1: It's the same. I literally was like to my mom and dating women now, but I was like, I was like, I saw the articles.
Speaker 5: I was like, Oh, I guess, I guess I came out today.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I guess.
Speaker 5: Okay, cool, But it's exciting to me because you know, I guess people didn't know, so it's cool that they know. But ooh, I'm nervous talking about I'm.
Speaker 1: Not and again you're safe. Okay cool? Yeah, but no, it's I am for the girls. She likes men and women, yep. But she didn't really want to talk about it and has been working it all out herself, and luckily she had that commenter who called her bestie to help her process her sexual Yeah, and everybody really let her come to that in private. I actually went and checked, and all of these people came back and said, hey, really, sorry for the way we talked. Did you have queer baity? That's what people on the internet always do when they're wrong. They do come back and really own up to their mistake. Yeah, it's not like somebody in their late teens slush early twenties might still be figuring stuff out. What we need them to be is a complete, tied in a bow human being, a weird, gross and wrong Halloween costume. Claire, find me a single celebrity who has not been canceled for a Halloween costume. Everyone needs stop dressing up for Halloween. Look, I've been saying this for a while because celebrity is for too long. Halloween's lost it. It's not even about being scary anymore. So many of them just dress up to be hot, and it's like all of this is going to date terribly and in five years you're all going to be canceled for a Halloween costume.
Speaker 2: You will.
Speaker 4: Why are you dressed so scary Halloween?
Speaker 1: Look, in terms of who hasn't been canceled, perhaps George Clooney's twins. Yeah no, what they're seven, so not yet I don't know what they got soon, probably bluey yeah, yeah and bluey. Oh. It's a preparation of some kind, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get canceled too. It's twenty twenty two and she attends a party with her then boyfriend Jesse Rutherford, who is the front man of something called the Neighborhood.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, never heard of them anyway. The context is that he was eleven years older than Eilish. She's twenty, he's thirty one. So they go to this Halloween party and Eilish hard launches their relationship on Instagram with a sense deleted photo. Claire, please describe the photo and what you think that these two lovely people dressed up as all Right, on the left, we have Billie Eilish dressed as gosh, it's almost like Shirley Temple esque Little bo Peep maybe. And what's he? Okay, I'll tell you who. He looks like. He looks like the grandfather from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I think I may be wrong about both of them. Okay, give me the thing. But she's got a hat like Little bo Peep bonnet. Yeah, he's got a bonnet on. Yeah, So what you're saying is Billy Eilish has gone as a baby and he has gone as an old man. That's fucking hilarious. I think it's hilarious. That's funny. I think it's hilarious too. She has blonderinglets, silly hat and looks on cannily like your baby. Yes, and I don't know if you want me to say this, but we went to a dress up party and didn't we make your husband dress up as Claire for his bucks a baby? They gave him a bottle yeah yeah, yeah yeah and unhappy yeah yeah, and he loved it. I thought it was really really funny he had what else did he have? I think he might have had a bonnet, which is funny because maybe's to web on it. No, but it's just quite baby. Yeah, so much. It's funny in an age gap relationship. Do accentuate the gage because that's what humor's about. Yes, but the Internet did not like it because on the Internet everything is firstly serious, secondly harmful. Some comments read Billie Eilish and Jesse Rutherford's matching Halloween costs gyms is incredibly sick and twisted, especially with their age difference and power imbalance. One fan wrote, it's not funny or chic. It's not poking fun, It's disturbing and the adults in her life are letting her down once again. I don't think either of them thought it was chic. It's not chic. I'm Halloween baby and a grandpa. You know it's not chic Halloween disgusting. That Billie Eilish costume is extremely disturbing and I absolutely hate it every time it crosses my timeline. You, sir, need to get off the internet. Why have you seen this photo more than one I've never seen that photo before. Billy is grown enough to know how weird and creepy this is. I think I's agreed Billy Eilish and Jesse Brutherford think they are edgy with their Halloween costumes. But it's so embarrassing. Ah, people love that. I see the humor. I think it's funny because you're all going to get upset because there's an age gap relationship, and what she's done is she's just as a baby. It is time for charges and sentences, Claire. I'm going to go first, you know how. In a detective novel, Crime novel, mystery novel. They say that the answer, the key to unraveling the mystery exists on the first page. Yeah, it was there all a long. It was there all long. Yeah. Or you know, you watch crime show and they say first scene, perpetrator was in the first scene. Yeah, that's the little little rule. Her crime was there from the outset, right, it was there straight away in my introduction. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Her crime is that she was born in two thousand and one. That's what Which was too soon ago? A hundred? Yeah, she is simply too soon ago and too long ago. Because too soon ago because she is a young person in the public eye. But it's long enough that she is verbal. Yes, yes, if she was a toddler, she wouldn't be getting all trouble. She is simply too young to be offering things such as reflections, opinions, and or comments. And her fans are also born after the year two thousand. Again, that makes them two and a half years old. They shouldn't be on the internet with their bance no banned, so of course they don't have fully formed thoughts and accuse her of things that don't make sense. All of you need to still be having naps. Yeah, you haven't had your nap, and now you're shitty and you're on the internet accusing people of queer baiting, and you need your morning tea and your afternoon tea. Yes, exactly right, and you've need to be in bed before eight. My sentence, I sentence her to getting one year older every twelve months. No, so after this, I think she should be twenty two, then twenty two, then twenty three and so on, and then maybe when she's fifty eight she can do another interview where she's asked to reflect on poop and if there's anything to add, would you say how many times? How many times? And she'll say, upon reflection, I was a doctor. I thought it was a good day. It wasn't a day. I've had better days. I've had better days. I'd be interested to know if her reflections have changed. How About on sleepwalking. I think she'd find by it. I think she'd find herself less judgmental after more years of life experience. She'd say, you know what, did I think that parents who sent their kids to school are selfish? Yeah? I did, And then I grew up. It's all black and white when you're young. And then you know, you go, maybe sleepwalking is a victimless crime. Maybe sleepwalking is just something some struggle with Claire. You know how in court you're not allowed to just bring up new evidence during charge and sentences. I just remembered something. Yes, Vanity Fair. She's worked with Vanity Fair for years and years, right, and she does like this interview with them every three year. Yeah, this part of it, and it's been I always wonder like when she did the first one, you don't know it's gonna be Billie Eilish, you know, like you don't know you're going to be doing it every year. Yeah. Yeah, And you know when you've committed to doing something ongoing and normally it's the second time you're doing it and you're like, oh, I regret that. Yeah, it's everyone who starts podcast. Yeah, they're just like, I didn't mean this to be always. I got excited for the first yeah. Yeah, yeah, I had energy in momentum, and now I don't want to make it look Yeah. Anyway, she came to that point from now on. In twenty twenty three, she was like, I'm not gonna do it every year. I'm gonna do it every five years. And the reason I love this is because it's a very lazy girl move. She's a lazy girl. It's a very like she's leaning into her boundary era on my fiel, Oh my god. And if she do a Billie Eilish and it's like, we're not going to do this weekly, We're gonna do it every five weeks. So true, And I think it's part of the charge. It's like, I think young people have to learn that, like when you commit to something, you have to follow through. Okay, So you love her for that, but you also hate her for that. Yeah, Like I just feel like she doesn't know the value of hard work. Okay, yeah, No, Billy Eilish, define wads a lesson in hard work from you? All right, my church? Yes, I articulated it slightly differently. Being young, yeah right, okay, really young. Yeah, And what we're seeing here is the chaos of you being young. I've spent some time with some young people and I sit at a table and I just go, you are Ashley mad Is you any one year old? Yeah? And they're just talking and I'm like, sh and you don't put that on the internet. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Which I'm sure is what people thought about me too. Yeah, I'm for people think about it right now? Is yeah yeah, anyone older than us says you idiots like yeah, yeah, amen, Yeah, maybe we should go to jail. Skibbity toilete skibbity toilet. That's what the young people are saying. I don't understand. I can't remember what it means, but it's something that maybe skibbity toilet means going to the toilet eight times in a day. Oh my gosh. Maybe it came from Billy. Yeah. So her crime is being young, correct, and her sentence. Okay. The problem with Billy is that the person who writes music with her is her brother, right, Finlay Finley Finley I read it him. Yes, and she's absurdly talented and he is absurdly talented, and together they are a force. Yes, and they're just doing brilliant things. Yeah. And I think because of that people have been like, there's magic there, we'll leave it alone. And therefore she doesn't have lots of layers of like, hey, Billy say less about sleepwalking. Yeah right. I did think in that interview, I went, you know how, you're at the playground and you're what she kid do something and you see them run up to someone and you're like, oh, they're about to take that toy off that baby, then wipe their snot in that baby's mouth, and then hit them on the head with the toy they stole. And you actually interject and you go, I'm actually gonna stop this. Where was her person? That's her mother was in the room. I know her mum was in the room when she was answering those things. And I was like, when my eighteen year old daughter is talking about her poop schedule to pitch for, Yeah, I'm gonna go We're just gonna pull out. Yeah, we're just gonna pull this interview. We're gonna have a little chat. Okay, we talk about poop. You've won an academy. You're gonna win an academy, and you can say, okay, come here, billy, Billy, Billy, let's poop billy. I'm hearing you need to you go to your business, you come back. We don't talk about okay. You know how like when you're teaching your kid, it's like you need to teach someone what's inside and what's out. Yead I feel like they're still in the process she's young, Yeah, learning inside, voice outside, Yes, all of that anyway. Yeah, if I burbed like my parents, Mum still gets mad when you Yeah, when I prap in public and fair enough, if I did that in the middle of a film and interview, Mum would be so she just think it was disrespecting. Yeah, But I think the problem is that because Billy is so magical, she is surrounded by yes people, Wow, you were like, more about more, brilliant, beautiful, this interview, nailing it, you slap all of that, Yeah, and it keeps getting worse. And so what she needs is she needs and no guy. He's just gonna say, look, my job is let you go, let you go, let you go. I'm gonna rear you back here, all right. So she needs that guy until she passes the age of fifty five and then she can say whatever she likes. I like it because we know people of the age of fifty five are always elegant and thoughtful. Jazz Donald Trump Claire before we go Lazy Girls story. Billy Eilish's the opposite to laz I think I think so too. She sings a lot of things and writes a lot of things. With their brother I think that if you put a lazy girl on the stand, because that sort of looks like they were putting her on the stand. I think you put a lazy girl on the stand, you get her to talk. I reckon, You get forty five seconds and then she just stops and sits in the discomfort and she's like, what do you want me to do? Talk about my bowel movement. It's like, fuck, no, this is done, not Billy, I'm tired. Well, Jesse, I've got a lazy girl story for you. It's from Tracy without an E, which will become important. It's a lazy way to spell it. Okay, Yeah, Hi, Claire and Jesse love your work. I have a lazy girl story that dates back twenty six years. They're our favorite lazy girl story.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, Billie Eilish can't have a story that goes back twenty six years because she doesn't have that many years. When I got my driver's license at sixteen, the RTA now service New South Wales, we know we were the RTA days. The RTA person wrote my first name incorrectly with an E instead of Tracy as per my birth certificate. This happened to mum. Yep. I noticed at the time, but couldn't be bothered going back in just to change one letter. Yeah, and you don't want to be rude. No, didn't think it'd be an issue. Well, twenty four years later, it turns out it's very hard to get a mortgage approved if your license doesn't match your birth certificate. That's a job that's sitting on the to do list for ten to twenty years. Yeah, this is the problem with paperwork, honestly. And it's also I didn't change my name after marriage. I guess maybe because of like ideological reasons, but also for logistics for the paperwork. Yeah, because it's like I'm not going in there. I haven't changed my address on my license. Last time I went to the RTA service New South Wales, I got a fucking parking fine because it was in the city and I was like the irony because I was there for so long and I didn't pay my parking. I got in trouble. I got pulled over by the police and I got in trouble because they said is this your current address? And for some reason I was honest and I said no. They said, oh, was that a problem? And they said, it's got to be your current address. They find me. I mean, I was also like speaking, whatever, what's happened to Tracy? She said? Did I go into service New South? I was, and get this fixed? I did not. I thought it would be a huge weight in line. Yes it would, it would. That's called foresight. Surely that was another way the frustrated mortgage broker was trying to get all our paperwork. Mortgage brokers all they do is ask, ask, ask. It's always like I need more from you, and I'm like, what am I paying you for it? We pay? Who's pay? Who are you? To get all our paperwork finalized quickly so we could buy our house. So he said that we would try and see if the bank would accept a statutory declaration confirming my name is Tracy. So I just signed the stat deck Where the stat deck come from? Tracy, you left that out and luckily they approved, so you never had to go. And this is the thing. Years later, I finally updated my name on my license. Took about two minutes. A Tracy, my goodness, life admin.
Speaker 5: Tick.
Speaker 1: Will I learn from this? Probably not? Thanks Tracy? Without me? Oh, I love it. I thought that Tracy was going to say, just changed the spelling. Yeah, I know, went bad. I changed my name based on the films. Yeah, yeah, yeah, go back to your birth stu wikit. Thank you so much for joining us on this episode of Canceled. The executive producer of Canceled is Kim Bradish, with audio production by Leah Porches. You can also follow us on The Twins Underscore thoughts. We share a bunch of reels behind the scenes all of those such things. And also, yeah, we'll leaning back into TikTok. If you've been with us, you'll know we go through periods of hyperfixation and then we don't do anything, and then every now and then we're like, hey, guys, you've got any TikTok ideas for us, and everyone's like, I don't work for you. Thank you for joining us. We'll be back next week. Bye bye,