Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mama Maya podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma may I acknowledges the traditional oners of Land and Waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: Well, Harry, have you heard anything from aml?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a postcard today, a postcard.
Speaker 5: Well what did he write?
Speaker 1: Nothing? I've been sending him vintage postcards at.
Speaker 4: Old New York to remind him you're getting old in New York with just.
Speaker 2: A hard John on them.
Speaker 1: There're just a little mom here. I love him, and so now he's sending me back playing postcards from Virginia. Ah, want some wine?
Speaker 6: I want all the wine. God, why do you have two buttons open? Let me guess?
Speaker 1: Because you're cool? Damn right, because I'm cool?
Speaker 3: Because that is cool.
Speaker 4: After you left the bar, I had sex with a nun.
Speaker 1: I cannot leave you alone for a minute.
Speaker 4: In my defense, Mary never mentioned she was a nun, and she was dressed like a regular lesbian, aren't they all. In fact, she didn't mention it until right after she told me she was a virgin.
Speaker 1: So you deflower the virgin Mary.
Speaker 5: This is a witch hunt.
Speaker 3: I know, my sweet baby angel, And even if he was off leash, he is not violent.
Speaker 7: There is not a.
Speaker 1: Destructive scutting Jenny. Hello, and welcome to a special bonus episode. If Mamma Mia out loud. Friends, it's that time. It's a happy time because season three of and Just like That has just launched on Max and we're pretty excited. I'm gonna be honest, I was a little bit daunted. I wasn't as excited as I have been perhaps for other seasons. And then I watched it and it's a whole new situation and I've got a whole new read on it.
Speaker 5: See that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: This is what we have to unpack because I felt it very much picked up where it left off and I love that, Like my happy place is to be hanging out with these women. I've realized that's a big we must have imprinted deeply on these women in I us, right, and so I just love to be with them. But I sort of felt like, oh, it's like tomorrow, you know what I mean. It hadn't jumped a year, or.
Speaker 1: That's true, so I thought it might have jumped more so. The three of us have watched the first episode, as you probably have. Yes, they are going to be spoilers because we are going to unpack episode one.
Speaker 7: But before we talk.
Speaker 1: About how we're feeling, let's just talk about where we did, in fact leave off, as Holly said in season two, even just like that. Of course, it is the new chapter of Sex and the City with a different name, some different cast members.
Speaker 3: They did a really good job of reminding me in episode one, because I must say, I think I watched maybe i'll watched the last season when I was on Maternity Leaders.
Speaker 5: We did, because it's two years, yes, two.
Speaker 3: Years, so I think that I don't have any memories from that time, and they reminded me. Okay, so Carrie and Aiden. He said at the end, I need to go back and be with my family five years yes, correct.
Speaker 1: One of it. He had three teenage sons or at least, and one of them was going through a hard time and had been drinking and it had had a car accident, and he's like, I need to go and be with them.
Speaker 7: But without you, can.
Speaker 3: You remind me how they got back together, How Aiden came back on the scene, How did David re meet.
Speaker 5: Reach out to her on Facebook or something.
Speaker 2: I can't remember how did he come back, but I think he reached out to her and obviously she had put a toe back in the dating pool since losing Big because she was devastated, obviously for most of that season. And then none of them really took and then Aiden reappeared and they got hot and heavy pretty quickly, and they were going to move in. So the reason that Carrie we find carrying this beautiful white house is she was like, we need a new start, a fresh start together. This apartment has bad usual for us. Remember that time he knocked a hole in the wall, Remember that time he restanded my floors. Remember that time he made me a leather armchair. I remember all these times. And so we need a fresh start. So we're buying the most beautiful house in New York City. But then she's ended up living there alone because he's gone back to I want to say.
Speaker 1: Is it Virginia?
Speaker 5: Virginia?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that sounds right.
Speaker 1: Virginia the state, not the person.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, okay. And then Miranda break up with and now she dating dating, she's on the scene. Of course, she is sober, she's not treating sober, and she's at her gay bar and whatnot.
Speaker 5: And Charlotte, nothing much has changed for Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Has nothing much changed? From like Charlotte finished last season, she was trying to work out who she was and was she going to lose weight, she was re entering the workforce, that was kind of the plot. And then in season one, even just like that, she was dealing with a non binary child and organizing it by Mitzva. So all of those kinds of things, right, yeah, And then the other characters.
Speaker 2: Seema, we left her dating this hot Ravi movie director Ravi because she's perpetually single and very fabulous, and that seemed to be like she'd met her match, was what we were supposed to think, because you know, she's fabulous, he's fabulous or whatever.
Speaker 5: Not so great episode.
Speaker 1: Then there was also Naya, who had been Miranda's lecturer at college when she was studying. Well at the end of last season she had split with her partner, who had then hooked up with another woman, and she was also single but feeling a bit ambivalent about that and her decision to not have children. And then there was Lisa Todd Wexley. I can't remember what was happening with.
Speaker 2: Her, so she is making an important documentary. Well, at the end of the last one, she had managed to pitch that, but also her husband, who to us will forever be George Washington in Hamilton.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, is running for city cooed Controller.
Speaker 1: Which I think is like kind of Mayre. So that's where we left our girls last season. Now this season, as you say, Holly, I thought it was going to jump ahead, but it seems to pick up very quickly after Aiden's left everything that we just discussed, Jesse. Overall feelings about episode one.
Speaker 3: Positive, very positive? Will you because oh yeah, yeah, yeh yeh yeah. I came to it in my probably late teens early twenties, and I watched every episode multiple times. I really really enjoyed it. It was mindless, it was fun. I'm forever traumatized by one particular thing, which we'll get to, and I'm just glad that we got to hear George Washington sing, which I've been waiting for.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great, Holly. What was your general vibe?
Speaker 2: My general vibe was great. I was a little bit like, oh, not that much has happened, but we know we've got somewhere to go. As I say, I love being back there. I love the fashion, I love the homes. I need to talk to me about the fashion in a minute. I loved being back with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah good, I thought that the and we'll get into more detail in a sec But Miranda and the New York tourist plotline was really funny and really clever because that was the New York that we experienced with these characters, is not the New York that Jesse, a tourist has visited multiple times. And the kind of tongue in cheek specificity of where the daggy places are to go, I thought was really funny, like the eminem store and the Times Square. That was funny.
Speaker 1: So let's check in with our characters and see what happened to them in this first episode. Starting with Carrie Hole.
Speaker 2: So she's all alone in her beautiful house and at this point she is feeling positive about the break from Aidan, as in that she thinks things are going to be okay. They're sending each other blank postcards, which seems.
Speaker 3: Like a waste. It's very privileged, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: That because they agreed. Inexplicably, they agreed no contact. I don't really remember why they agreed no contact. At the end of the last swear.
Speaker 3: I think it was just like we're going to give each other five five years, which is just so long at that period.
Speaker 2: And so she's in this beautiful house. The alarm keeps going off, which is a theme because when she first moved out of her house last time I moved into a new place, something kept beeping. So she's just a little bit can't deal with the technology.
Speaker 3: And there was also a callback to when she was running downstairs and she fell and she hurt her back. No, that happened to Miranda in an old season, remember, And then Carrie.
Speaker 1: Came out to I can't move.
Speaker 3: That was a weird scene because it looked like she'd really heard herself and she was actually fine, and I kept going just plot wise, I'm not sure why she had to fall a little easter eggie.
Speaker 1: And also they do like to do a few sort of bit of broad comedy.
Speaker 3: Lapster parker, slapstick. I think we've just got to get to the scene.
Speaker 7: Don't Okay?
Speaker 2: Can I just ask me a question about Carrie? Though I love looking at Carrie, It's one of my favorite things to do. But the question that's always in my head is would be aware that? And the hat and one of the very early scenes she's wearing this really like this bonity floppy hattie thing, and I'm just like, would mea weare that?
Speaker 7: No, But I love.
Speaker 1: Looking at it like it's you know. My top line feeling about this episode, and it seems this season is that it's back. This is Sex and the City. I think what we had in the last two seasons was a different show. I think it wasn't just.
Speaker 7: Like that it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was Sex and the City the movie three and four or something.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's I.
Speaker 3: Think it had a movie vibe. I don't think it had a Sex and the City television show, but.
Speaker 1: I think it's different. I think it was trying to be too many things. I think it was trying to answer a lot of the criticism that was made of the original show.
Speaker 7: I had a lack of diversity.
Speaker 1: It was trying to be very inclusive.
Speaker 5: Absolve its original scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what came across was that it was neither thing. It didn't feel realistic as a sort of a diverse, inclusive portrayal of different types of sexualities and genders and races and religions.
Speaker 7: It felt a bit box shooting.
Speaker 1: I didn't recognize the characters like I was the same as you whole like, I love spending time with these women. And that's ultimately where I landed that I'd even though I didn't like.
Speaker 7: It, I'd watch it.
Speaker 1: But I feel that they were trying to please too many people and do too many things. You know that expression the everything bagel, when you try to make a bagel into a pizza and a cake and a taco and all of those things, and you just need it to be a bagel.
Speaker 3: It's more self aware this season in a way. That's funny. But I just need to never watch Aid and masturbating it.
Speaker 5: Okay, so let's get let's get to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So carry and aid and stuff off with no contact and blank postcards, but.
Speaker 5: Quite quickly start texting.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Quite quickly escalates to a late night phone call from Aiden, where he is sitting in his pickup truck because of course he is in Virginia and some field, drinking beer by himself because he can't drink beer in the house because of why at the teenager Yeah, and then he very quickly moves to phone why do.
Speaker 7: We also repulsed?
Speaker 3: I had to check myself and go, am, my agist? Is this my ageism coming?
Speaker 2: I need to check that too, because, as Mia reminded me, if you take yourself back to was it season one when we had two like that and just like that, Yeah, it was in the first episode, the first episode of season one, and just like that before Big died. That is a spoiler that I hope you're all across on the peloton. He masturbated in the bed like she asked him to or something, and that also was agree.
Speaker 5: Icky and maybe it is, agis.
Speaker 3: Maybe it is, and when we think it, Sex and City did always make us feel a bit uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: It wasn't meant to be arousing as much as it was meant to be like silly and funny and taboo. But I realized through watching this phone sex scene unfold that I have the ick about Aiden and always have. I really don't find anything about him sex.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm happy that he's not around, because I think ultimately they can't have her in a long distance relationship, and I think they're sewing the scenes for that right in episode one and hold, don't you think that it's not gonna work because she's not into it and she fakes the phone sex, which I loved, where.
Speaker 3: She's like, oh, yes, that was really funny.
Speaker 1: I thought that was really funny. That was looking at Lee for comedy, and then I loved that. That then led to the classic Sex and the City scene, which is the girls around the table going I faked phone sex, and it's like, that's the dilemma that we have of the episode, and I was like, we are back, baby.
Speaker 3: Yees yeah, And it's like one of those things that everyone probably has a story like that about being something that's meant to be arousing. And then he's actually in bed next.
Speaker 1: When she tried for it, but I just he was next to you, and I had.
Speaker 3: The experience of going, carry shut up when she goes, I faked it last time, and I'm like, bitch, why are we telling him that? Why would we call him?
Speaker 2: Because she said our sex lives are the most honest thing about us, So she was like, I can't deceive him.
Speaker 5: I know, I agree with you, that's ridiculous. Don't tell him that.
Speaker 2: But she was like, our sex lives are the most honest thing about us, which is an interesting line because I don't know that everyone could say that. But I have been a defender of Aiden's at different times over the years because I quite like me a sort of schlubby carpenter, Like when he had the glow up in and I don't know what season that was, let's say fourish, he was hot there for a while. I've never felt their chemistry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't. It doesn't quite.
Speaker 3: He's just a bit too like, hey, what he licked his hand?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was just do we have I feel like it's interesting because this episode was directed and written by Michael Patrick Kin Daddy and Piquet, who was the you know, not the og conceiver of the whole thing, but he's pretty much the custodian of the Sex and the City brand and has his own podcast because he's trying to cut up grass. But he's a man in his mid to late seventies now, right. But when I saw that he'd written and directed it, I thought, ah, this is a it's a recalibration of what we have. So I think we should acknowledge that a couple of characters did not come back. Shay didn't come back because the audience hated their character. They didn't like what they sort of turned Miranda into. They found them annoying.
Speaker 3: The stand up comedy was not good sound up comedy.
Speaker 1: The stand up comedy didn't work, and I don't think anyone's more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And it was really.
Speaker 1: Tough for that actor who was a fantastic actor and was amazing in Grey's Anatomy, but they ended up having all of this backlash when they were just an actor reading a part.
Speaker 7: So they sort of fell out with the.
Speaker 1: Producers and said some things on social media, and I think everybody just agreed.
Speaker 7: To part ways.
Speaker 1: But the other character that left that also didn't have a lot to do was Naya. One of the criticisms of the earliest seasons was there's all these extra characters, and the side characters have side characters of their own, And there was a particular scene when Nia and her husband went out to dinner with their friends, and none of our ogs were even tangentially connected. And a lot of the criticism was I don't have room in my head or my heart for all of these extra care to.
Speaker 3: The core, less and deeper, which brings us to I want to talk about Miranda and the gay Bar, but first we have to go to.
Speaker 1: A quick break. Guys, Miranda fucked to none. Is there anything more? Mary the City, the.
Speaker 3: Virgin Mary, and it was Rosi o'donald. Look as a Catholic, I have questions, okay, you do, which is nuns aren't allowed to have sex with people. I was like, I understand how Miranda got to the point of thinking that she was leaving the convent. I thought, where is your convent? You're not wearing a habit. I understand that that's not how nun's dressed anymore, But you're not allowed was darling.
Speaker 2: She she was having a crisis. She just this is something she wants to hire and wants.
Speaker 3: Going to have her back.
Speaker 1: I'll always have you back, Jesse, have you met God?
Speaker 2: I have a feeling, because it's Rosie o'donald that we haven't seen the end of Mary, don't you think?
Speaker 3: I hope so, I can't believe it's Rosie o'donald.
Speaker 6: I loved the scene where Miranda was in the bar and this hot young woman's waving at her carries like go get it bye, and she like walks over there and it's like used to be Brady's baby's there and she's like, oh, modifying, I'm a lesbian now like mortify.
Speaker 5: I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved Miranda with the red hair. I loved Miranda. Dating Miranda seemed to me back to Miranda because another criticism in season one and a little bit into as well, is that Miranda, who was ow capable, you know, together independent feminist, suddenly didn't know what a podcast was. And that can happen, you know, midlife people can lose their mojo. I don't know, I just liked it.
Speaker 2: I like seeing her back too, and I really I'm not gonna mourn chay Naya. I kind of liked, but I agree with you that I want to be with my people, and also I really like Lisa and her husband, so I'm very happy to hang out with them. One of the sad characters that I generally love is Anthony, because I love Charlotte and Anthony's relationship and the fact that they've been besties forever. It's very authentic and that. I liked how Lily the kids went to the ballet with Anthony boyfriend and Carrie.
Speaker 5: That was so cute.
Speaker 2: I love an extended, like fake family situation with the He's obviously going to be a handful with the hot male ballet answer.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I liked what that was warming up.
Speaker 3: For with Lisa I liked the self awareness around the Michelle Obama land. I thought that was really funny to kind of have these black women who are doing this really exciting project and it's like it can't even be conceived of without Michelle Obama. I just felt, and then I went, are we setting up for a Michelle Obama came? I, Oh, I don't reckon, you can jop. I half expected her to walk into that thing where George Washington her husband's us to seeing, which was lovely, and turn around and there's Michelle Obama.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 7: I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think there are going to be some amazing cameos in this season. And I love that character. I love the relationship she has with her husband.
Speaker 3: If your husband or your boyfriend, Tolly, if you were in a work presentation that was really important and they called you to ask if you thought they were call I would say red flat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that annoyed. That annoyed me, hang up straight away.
Speaker 3: No, why did she answering I don't care.
Speaker 1: If I don't know if.
Speaker 3: A child is in the hospital, just wait till the end of her I do care.
Speaker 1: But once she established because she's like he doesn't usually interrupt me. Something must be wrong. But once she'd established nothing was wrong, I wanted her to hang up the phone.
Speaker 3: That annoyed me. I went, oh, this is an interesting red flag storyline. And it wasn't. It was just like, am I cool? I've undone my top button? And I was like, mate, have your crisis away from her meeting.
Speaker 2: They play the part of good couple, right, I mean Charlotte and Harry, and I do love Charlotte and Harry.
Speaker 3: I liked when Harry started.
Speaker 2: Yes, when Harry thought he was part of the like African American barbershop quartet, It's like, Harry, sit down.
Speaker 1: I really loved seeing Charlotte. Also just being Charlotte.
Speaker 7: It's like, just let Charlotte Charlotte.
Speaker 1: She had the dog, She's got that, you know, the walk, the indignation, the cancelation of a dog, indignation, the low stakes of the dog being canceled, the absurdity.
Speaker 7: I loved all that. That's just so Charlotte.
Speaker 2: I have a few questions left back in a moment, first little break, was Fever right to break up with RAVI?
Speaker 7: Yes, that absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 3: My only feedback would be that, in terms of scripting, sometimes it's a little bom. There's this rhythm to it that's laced in cliche that isn't how people talk to each other. That I kind of go, oh, is that entirely necessary?
Speaker 1: But don't you think that Back to leaning into the cliche of it all and leaning into what makes sex and this city and just like that itself, is that it's like the broadness of the comedy. It's not modern, it doesn't feel like of its time, Like it's very different to like Catastrophe or Fleabag, but it feels so deeply familiar. I could suspend any criticism or judgment more watching this season than I could in the other two.
Speaker 3: Because when she was like, this is our end credits, and I was like, oh, yeah, roll credits credits or whatever, and I was like yeah. I also thought during that scene, because she goes and he gets her in the vand to go on Scout locations, which was just an interesting thing to watch. I think when she got all dressed up for lunch, I thought, maybe that's why I could never live in New York, ause I would hate to have to get dressed up for lunch too, super dressed up for fancy lunch is not my idea of a good time.
Speaker 2: I'm so okay, what do we think? Episode one was laying the table for what do you think is coming out way.
Speaker 1: Michelle Obama County apart from.
Speaker 2: Michelle Obama, apart from maybe hopefully no or Cringey phone sex.
Speaker 3: But so we always need singleedom explored. Like dating is where we get our bread and our butter.
Speaker 5: So the moment we're getting that through Miranda only.
Speaker 1: Yes, Miranda and now Seema and I think.
Speaker 7: About to be Carrie carry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're going to have our marriages and the dynamics of a marriage is always really interesting, which we've got with Charlotte. But like I think the others and also Lisa Todwebs and also Lisa the others. I think we're going to have an arc of Carrie and Aiden, either one of them there's betrayal or something. There's going to be a big journey of that and whether they come back together or not, I'm not sure. I don't know what's going to happen with Miranda. Does she want of long term partner? What do we think she wants?
Speaker 1: I'm really here for lots of Miranda dating. I like dating sober late crazy women, like, Yeah, I think we really need those kind of dating stories that can be explored through Miranda and now Seema. What's being laid is a breakup between carrying Aiden. I think what I'm really enjoying about this season so far is its unabashed silliness, the silly hats, the silly plot lines, everybody being larger than life.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it just feels.
Speaker 2: If we do think that Aden's on the way out, And I think I'm sure you're right here, because as you say, it's boring. Her is the right guy for her, right, she wants one big He was her big love, but most of us didn't like him either.
Speaker 1: I want to see her with a tech billionaire, just to see what happens.
Speaker 2: But a younger one fine, because remember when she passed the hot podcast producer at the end of season one didn't last long, but we were like, oh yeah, but I'm like, who could be mister Carrien.
Speaker 1: We haven't talked about the fact that the voiceover came back but in a slightly truncated way, and she also clocked the phrase and just like that, Oh is that going to be a thing? And then at the end she typed, but she sort of typed half a sentence and said half the sentence and then I didn't finish it.
Speaker 2: Carrie is going to write a book, and it's going to be like a sexy romance book.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think, And I think we're going to have to hear quite a lot about it.
Speaker 3: Maybe she'll write a like fantasy dragon book.
Speaker 1: I wanted her to become sort of an influencer, you know, like a Glenn and Doyle.
Speaker 5: Carrie doesn't understand her Instagram. She's one of the first pictures.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's been glorious to be reunited. Yeah, and we can't wait to see what happens in season three.
Speaker 5: And I'm just like that. It's so much fun.
Speaker 3: Please let us know. Jump in the Facebook group, tell us what you're thinking, tell us your theories. We can't wait to keep the conversation going.
Speaker 1: And we'll be back in your ears as usual on Monday.
Speaker 3: Bye bye,