Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm on the MEA podcast. What if I need to pooh? I'm all right for now, but I might because I've had to coffee early, just letting you know, But right now I'm okay. Have we sun a record?
Speaker 2: Hello there, I am Doctor Ginny Mansburg and welcome to the brand new era of Well, the podcast for Your Health and Body Explained. I am the new resident doctor for will WHO. I'm a general practitioner, I'm a women's health expert, and I'm basically here to talk about the annoying, the embarrassing, and the scary when it comes to women's health, basically all of my absolute favorite topics.
Speaker 1: Hello, and I'm Caath Mahoney. I am a comedian. I'm an author and a podcaster. You might be wondering why a comedian is on a health podcast. Well, let me tell you the very most important thing you need to know about me before a comedian, I am actually a hypochondriac. So being on this podcast is like a dream. I get to sit here with Dr Ginny once a week and just ask her all the things that are going through my head. And I can also ask the questions that you might want to ask, And if you've listened to Unleash, the podcast for Women who need a laugh, you know that I will go there with the questions, warning and apologies ahead. You're in for a ride because nothing is off limits? Am I right? Doctor Ginny?
Speaker 2: You are right, cav because the chances are certainly in my case, I've heard it, I've seen it, I've probably smelt it and touched it and traded it all before. So here's what you can expect from the brand new Well, What the Health? What's happening in health news and the latest trends popping up on your feed?
Speaker 1: Are You Well?
Speaker 2: A deep dive into two topics the hottest health subjects that women don't just ask enough about. So this week we've got hydration and pre diabetes, let's face it, both of our favorite segment of Well It is asking for a Friend, which is your anonymous, probably very awkward health questions that you can leave us as a voice note, very very anonymous right there, and they're going to be answered by me.
Speaker 1: I might just be sliding a few asking for a friend on behalf of myself.
Speaker 2: One's in this season, who knows anyway. But first it's time for What the health. Which is your quick dose of women's health headlines? What? Oh what? I don't understand what the health?
Speaker 1: So what have you got frustrated? Okay?
Speaker 2: First of all, I wanted to talk about HRT because caath it is still not that available. Patches are just dripping into the country. A lot of women are turning to the gels. There is also a spray that has been around in the UK. My whole periposse has been onto it in the UK for ages. It is now here in Australia.
Speaker 1: Oh spray. Okay, what's the difference between the gel and the spray?
Speaker 2: Exactly what it says on the tin ones you have to rub it in that No, you have to not rub it in. You have to like stand with your legs apart on your inner thighs and just wait for it to try it.
Speaker 1: Good luck doing that in the hottest parts of summer. Right, What have you got next, doctor, Jenny so Cat.
Speaker 2: I always love a big study, especially one with one hundred and fifty thousand people that goes for thirty years.
Speaker 1: Holy moly, that is a big study.
Speaker 2: It is a big study and it basically confirmed that between ninety and one hundred and twenty minutes of my worst thing in the entire planet. Strength training is not only really good for your muscles, but it also seems to lower your risk of death as well as things like diabetes and certain cancers as well. So I'm just going to have to pull my finger out and do it.
Speaker 1: So how many minutes were talking?
Speaker 2: Did you say? Half and half to two hours per week? What I loved about this study was that for all of us who just dread that whole process, more than one hundred and twenty minutes did not add anything to your life expectancy. So in good news, you can.
Speaker 1: Top out there. Okay, so you and I both need to literally pull our finger out and start lifting. So, as you know, my algorithm serves me up a lot of medical and beauty advice at three am when I'm scrolling. The latest thing I'm seeing a lot of is testosterone cream being used as part of people's facials. So testosterone is, you know, is a hormone replacement therapy, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Full libido?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is this a new thing, doctor Ginny or are they bonkers?
Speaker 2: They're bonkers? But I've been seeing this as well, so I think the thought is that you know, testosterone is the latest hippist like everything for anti aging. By the way, hint hint, don't really have evidence for that, and so people are thinking that that if they stick it straight on their face, they'll grow more collagen and it will be an awesome anti aging treatment. So basically, it's really really good for growing massive zits and really great for growing a mustache and a nice thick beard if that's the look you're going.
Speaker 1: For, or wow it to you.
Speaker 2: For the rest of us who just want to get our glow on, I'm saying no.
Speaker 1: You're saying no. Yeah, yeah, I'm saying no to the beard and the acne for my new Tinder profile. So that's so I'll just stick with my normal nighttime routine. That's what I'd do, right, thanks to to Jenny.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 1: Next, it's time for are you Well? And what we really really need to act is water. We will be unpacking my adequate hydration is doing way more for your hormonal health, energy and skin than you might think. How are you well?
Speaker 2: How are you feeling?
Speaker 1: Are you well? Are you well?
Speaker 2: Alrighty, it is time for are you Well, where we discuss the most important things that you need to know that are happening in women's health right now, and today we're going to do something that seems like a bit of a no brainer but can actually be a lot more important than people realize, and that is your basic water. So grab hold of that emotional support water bottle. Kath currently has a three later one sitting in front of her, that one that you've been carrying absolutely everywhere, because today we are chatting about why adequate hydration is doing way more for your health, your energy, and even your skin than you think. And it's time for the science of hydration. I'm very excited about this. As a two liter guzzler, I want to feel smug at the end of this segment. I want to know it all hit me with that. Well, now to just decrease your smugness, we have a quiz, and my quiz question for you is this, cas how much of your body is made.
Speaker 1: Up of water? Two literas? Are you on a percentage forty?
Speaker 2: There's actually sixty percent. I've actually dread up to like higher than that, like even up to eighty percent of your body in some calculations is made of water. Wow, you're basically bluid, which explains why you spend half your life running to the toilet every time. She just says, I'll just pop to the.
Speaker 1: Low Ginnie's like you're going again. I do go the toilet a lot. So yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Sixty percent is quite an interesting figure. And what the National Health of Medical Research Council has told us, and they are like the Grand poo Bars of all things science, they have said that as little as two percent of dehydration in your body, you're going to feel it, and you're going to feel sluggish, You're going to feel tired. Your brain performance is going to go down like it's going to really impact you. And we know that look like you hadn't get away with a little bit of dehydration from time to time, but if it happens chronically, one thing for sure we know is that you definitely get more. Kidney stones can be really quite rough on your kidneys. It's linked to higher cancer rates like urinary track cancers and bowel cancer. And then this condition in the heart called mitral valve prolapse, which gives you lots of palpitations, doesn't feel too good, as well as just generally reduced physical and mental performance. Cath You are not at risk.
Speaker 1: No, but I used to be Hans. Now I've got my big bottle.
Speaker 2: What made you stop?
Speaker 1: I ended up getting a thing called dive particulitis. So the specialist was like two elitists from now on, because I literally I feel very embarrassed to say this was a was really like I drank coffee and maybe a little small glass of water. I just didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's not bad. Like I think a lot of people think that coffee dehydrates you, which is a bit of an old school idea, and that when we talk about fluid a day, because women need two point one leaders of fluid a day unless they're pregnant, and he goes up to two point three then, which is not bad three leads for breastfeeding women, people think that that has to be water, like obviously for calories purposes, we don't want you having too much our cold cordy or fruit juice, coke, things like that. But from a pure fluid perspective.
Speaker 1: Fluid is fluid. Okay, So I've got a fair idea of what two point one liters is because me and a big bottle go everywhere. But for those listening, what is that? And say water bowls Mount Franklin water balls.
Speaker 2: A Mount Franklin water bottle about three seventy five, so maybe four and a cup of coffee for two hundred and fifty meals.
Speaker 1: For a cup of coffee, takeaway coffee is probably.
Speaker 2: Two hundred meals, thinking about like a glass of wine is meant to be one hundred meals. That's a standard glass of wine. If you think that you or getting the mid afternoon slumps because your hydration is starting to catch up with you, then maybe at the beginning, measure out two point one leaders and actually just see what it looks like in cups, and then you'll have a fair idea of what you need to be doing in your life to actually get your hydration up to speed.
Speaker 1: Dehydration, like that word just makes me think of somebody in the Desertah kind of crawling towards a mirage of water. What does dehydration actually mean? Like what is considered as dehydration?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard, Like it's not like I can do a blood test on you and go, oh, you're dehydrated. Probably you'll know because you'll be thirsty, and even if you're not aware of your thirst, you might just feel like a bit sluggish, like you might have that mid afternoon slump and you think you need a sneaker's bar, but probably you'd be better off grabbing your emotional support water bottle.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, as a hypochondriac, I would be going on to doctor Google presuming some of these symptoms with something far worse. I mean, do women even think that maybe it's dehydration that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Think so the women that I who are often dehydrated, and I often work it out when I ask for a urine sample and I see this brown sludge going no, you know, kind of dark you're an instead of pale yellow. A lot of the women that I see are worried about incontinents, and they're worried about not being able to make it to the toilet. So if they're going to be on a bus, or if they're going to be in a long meeting, or if they're going to be going out for drinks with the girls, and they don't want to have to sit on the toilet all the time, they start with holding their own fluid in the hope that they don't need to wet their pants. And that's huge. That happens way more than people talk about because no one talks about incontinent and so I think women have got to come up with a solution to their incontinents and start drinking again so they feel more energetic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there are actually toilets everywhere I know. All right, So you mentioned like a scludgy color, and then we talked about like a deeper yellow on the color wheel. Where would we want to be in a hydrated points of view.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about what you're going to see in the toilet bowl, which is going to be dialed in a whole lot of water.
Speaker 1: Do you know I never even thought of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what you wi is going to go much paler in the toilet, So it already should be a fairly pale yellow, okay, and be not water colored but not far off water. Like a very pale yellow is well hydrated. If you do a wee in the toilet, mind you, your first way of the morning is always more concentrated, because your body does that by design overnight to stop you from having to wee every two minutes. So the first one of the morning can be a darker orange, but for the rest of the day, we're talking pale, pale yellow in the toilet is ideal.
Speaker 1: Okay, unless you've had a bronka, because I get a shock. All right, Jinny, so on, behalf of women everywhere confused at how much water we should be drinking. I'm so excited to do this. I have some rapid fire myth busters for you. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'mlimbering up here.
Speaker 1: Number one, is it really eight glasses a day? And are we talking tumblers or schooners here?
Speaker 2: Two point one leaders? However, that comes more if you're pregnant, more if you're exercising a lot and doing a lot of sweating.
Speaker 1: Number two, I mean, I love carrying around my giant drink bottle. As we've discussed, But is it possible to drink too much water?
Speaker 2: In theory, you got to drink a lot, like You've got to be sculling about a liter an hour for many, many hours to wash the sodium out of your bloodstream altogether. That tends to happen when people are very own well.
Speaker 1: Because you tend to stop yourself.
Speaker 2: You feel sick drinking that much water, and you tend to put a stop on yourself.
Speaker 1: Number three, Can you be hydrated by liquids other than water.
Speaker 2: Yes, I will take like any liquid counts towards your your total amount. The thing is, though, it's often laden with calories and a lot of sugar, bad for your teeth. So the best thing is water or tea or coffee. But if you really want to contribute a coke to that, that's fine. It's okay, great. No taken number four. Does coffee really dehydrate you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Doesn't. No, that's a myth.
Speaker 2: That's a myth.
Speaker 1: That is a myth. Okay, we're getting rid of that one. And number five, if you wait until you're thirsty to drink, is it too late?
Speaker 2: No, that's a myth too. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Up next, are you well? We need to talk about something else that is really important. It's a condition that affects one in three adults, but a massive eighty percent of them have no idea it's even happening.
Speaker 2: For our next are you well, we're going to take a slightly doom and gloom turn because it's about something affecting a staggering one in four assie adults, which is pre diabetes one in four. Yeah, it's crazy. Now the thing that is really mad, here's a stat for you. Eighty percent of people with pre diabetes have got no idea that they've got it, and off the twenty percent who know, most don't realize it's a problem. So, Cath, we're going to talk about what pre diabetes is, why so many people have got no idea that they've got it, and whether there's anything you can do about it and even reverse it altogether.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, So doctor Jenny, I feel like I know the term pre diabetes, but I don't actually know what it means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it sounds like it's the thing that comes before diabetes, which is a generally there's two types of diabetes. There's one where you don't make enough insulin. That's an autoimmune condition that tends to start in your teens or even in early childhood, and then the more common type two diabetes, where you make enough insulin at least in the early parts, but your cells don't respond to it, and as a result of that, your sugar levels in your blood go up, and those high sugar levels drive a whole lot of changes in your body that increase your risk of chronic conditions like having a heart attack, a stroke, destroying the arteries that actually supply your legs, but other things as well, causing cataracts. So diabetes, if it's not well controlled, is a major contributor to poor health in Australia. So pre diabetes is what comes before you get to diabetes. It's not inevitable, but it is diagnosed based on numbers. So if you wake up in the morning and take a sugar level and your sugar is over seven consistently, that probably means that you have diabetes. There are other blood tests we can do to confirm that. But if you wake up with a blood sugar level of five point five or below, we call that normal. Well what about that gray zone of people who are maybe six or six point two or five point seven. They've always been in this gray zone that we didn't know what to call it, and now we call it pre diabetes. With the higher that sugar level, the closer you are to diabetes, the worse it is, and the more likely you are to eventually go on to get diabetes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So with pre diabetes, what symptoms might somebody be showing.
Speaker 2: They're probably not going to have any and you won't know it until you have a blood test per se. And that's a problem because not everybody just routinely goes and gets a blood test, You've got to think about it. Go to your doctor, book in for a checkup. And what gps do generally is every few years we run this thing called the os D Risk Score, and we put into an algorithm a whole lot of things like your height, your weight, your family history, if you've got gestational diabetes when you're pregnant. We put those into a calculator that spits out a number of that says, yet you need a blood sugar test. The thing is that a lot of us don't go to the doctor for just to check up. We go when we've got a cold or we've got a sprained ankle, and the GP runs out of time to actually do those preventive things as well. So too few of us are getting the os D risk check and getting a sugar level. So by the time we find out we've got pre diabetes, we might have had it for years.
Speaker 1: Is there an age where we're more likely to have it or is it not age related?
Speaker 2: It used to be one of those things that you only ever got sort of in midlife, in your fifties, that kind of thing. But we're seeing with maybe more processed foods with more sedentary kind of lifestyle, so you sitting around like a couch potato and not doing as much running as you used to do. It's starting earlier and earlier, And so we're meant to screen women who have ever had gestational diabetes regularly for it with that oral glucose tolerance test. Remember that test that you had when you're pregnant. So you have a little bit of a sugary drink and then they do a few blood tests to see how your body handles sugar. You're meant to do that regularly forever after after you've had a gestational diabetes. But again, a lot of women are falling off the radar and we're not doing the testing we're meant to do.
Speaker 1: What about being tested for pre diabetes? Like how often should people, potentially in an ideal world be getting a test.
Speaker 2: So if you score high on an osdi risk, we would do that at least every three years, But if we find that you've got pre diabetes, then we're going to do it every year while we rapidly try to reverse course.
Speaker 1: Is it reversible?
Speaker 2: It's totally reversible, Like there is not an inevitability that you're going to go on to get diabetes. But we do need to do certain changes to your lifestyle, and it's mainly going to be around diet.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what sort of stuff would we be changing because.
Speaker 2: The boring the others that we say for pretty much every single you.
Speaker 1: To tell me I can't do any of the good stuff, aren't you?
Speaker 2: There are good carbs out there, like a whole grain bread or a lentil is a good carb, right, But like a packaged lolly chocolate, he's a bad cup. Well, that's a bad cup. Unfortunately, Katha and I are big fans of the lollies. We generally can't record any podcast without a bowl of lollies between us. But unfortunately they're now off the agenda for any kind of pre diabetics. But even things like a lot of my patients think that like sushi is really really good for you. It's a health food sushi. No sure grain rice, especially when it's covered in sugar, which is part of the like the sushi rice treatment is really not good for you. I'm happy for you to go and have some sashimi and some otamami beans. We've got to really slow down on the white rice, sushi potatoes. Big potatoes are really bad as well as I love a jacket potato.
Speaker 1: How do you sushi? Not once a week with my son? Yeah, you don't have to diabetes, You're okay, but I could. I've not a tag. I might have to cut this short.
Speaker 2: But yeah, unfortunately, chips like the enemy even so, like hot.
Speaker 1: Chips or a bag of crisps both.
Speaker 2: So well, if you're going to have potato, the small little mini potatoes are the better ones. But it's actually not the enemy. Actually when it comes to this sort of case, really it's your processed cards in your high glycemic index cards. Iscemic index refers to how quickly sugar goes from your guts into your bloodstream, right, and so the quicker that is the worst it is for you. Okay, So sadly, you've got to do a major diet overhaul. We've got to put way more fruit and veggies in, way more fiber into your diet. Got to do the protein, you know, all the boring stuff like it's not it's not your caprioscars.
Speaker 1: Let's just put it that way.
Speaker 2: I'd prefer you to have. You got to have something we can do like a vodka and soda. But we're not going to be doing all your your high.
Speaker 1: Sugary cocktails either, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then we're going to do some exercise caf. We're going to do some regular we're going to do walks, we're going to do some weights. Hello, we'll throw in for free less can so we're going to throw in you know, better longevity, less chance of getting all the big diseases. So like that's a bargain. That's a bargain for you. We take it. Yeah, And they're going to be the major things that we're going to do to actually head this off at the past, because that's really important at this stage.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, came into your podcast leaving having to rethink my entire week's food for me and my son. That's a lot to take in, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is? And I wish I could say eat what you want and just take this vitamin and it will all be okay. I think we've sold a lot of crap on TikTok that is like, don't worry about it. There are simple solutions. They just cost a bomb. Unfortunately, the evidence for good diet and exercise is just getting stronger. For absolutely everything from mental health to disease prevention to just feeling better day to day. And I would like to tell you don't need to eat a salad, but you do, so your best way of doing this. You want to know my absolute gold star, gold plated idea, Please go to a chatbot. I know you're in love with Claude, so Claude in your case might be Chatters in my case, and you just put in there. I'm not good at eating salad. I don't like this, that and the other. I don't have a lot of time. Here's what I can do, Here's what I like. Can you design me a menu and let chat GPT or Claude or Gemini design a doable but healthy lifestyle for you that is not going to make you freak out?
Speaker 1: Ope. Next, asking for a friend your awkward house questions answered by doctor Ginny that we all know aren't actually about your friend, but we pretend they are Anyway. I love this bit. Oh it's time for my favorite.
Speaker 2: I'm just asking for a friend, so my friend they want to know it's not for me chat just asking for a friend.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got two this week. The first question comes from Sarah, who's forty one.
Speaker 3: My friend had a marina put in a while ago. It's helped with really heavy periods in the iron. Good news is her iron levels of filing about normal. But now she's spotting every few days. The bleeding isn't heavy, but it can last anywhere from one to five days, and she feels like she's constantly dealing with it. She's also noticed quite a strong smell whenever she's bleeding.
Speaker 1: She's not sure what to do.
Speaker 3: The marina has fixed one problem, but it feels like it's created another. Is this normal or should she get it checked out?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: First of all, what's a marina? For those that don't know, it's an intra uterine contraceptive device. It's about like three centimeters long and it gets inserted via the vagina inside the uterus as a long acting contraceptive. Unlike a copper tea, for example, which is another intro uterine device, it actually secretes a little bit of progesterone every single day, a small amount that thins the lining of the uterus and actually helps stop heavy bleeding.
Speaker 1: Didn't work for May to go into the copper one?
Speaker 2: Really, yes, because a couple one can make you hit your periods heavier, which it did, I wouldn't have it. We're out of that section. Yeah, I mean Sarah, it wouldn't have been good for her.
Speaker 1: So what are you saying to Sarah?
Speaker 2: Look, I think for Sarah's friend, because it's definitely not Sarah. Yeah, I would say, I would say Sarah's friend that the spotting is pretty much expected. I mean, it's part of the course for at least two to three months. And what is the difference between like a bleed and spotting? So, I mean it's a really like war thing. But I think for most people, if it's brown blood, which kind of tells us it's old, and it's not enough to wear a tampon, but just like enough for a panty liner, we'll call that spotting, okay. Whereas if it feels like a period, that's a full blown blade. That's less common on a Marina, way less common. But if you're just getting a bit of spotting for the first two to three months, I wouldn't even go and see your GP. They should have told you to expect that, and that is completely normal. If it's going on at the three month mark, maybe.
Speaker 1: Do a telehealth.
Speaker 2: Probably your GP will say let's wait for another three months before we start investigating anything, and it usually has settled down by that time, and then you've got five years of practically no bleeding, which is bargain for me. The other thing, though, is she mentioned a funny smell and she could have bacterial vaginosis, so.
Speaker 1: It might not be connected to towards the marina.
Speaker 2: It might not be atal, but there are also some smelly sexually transmitted infection. So I always think, with a bad smell, probably go to a GP and get that checked out. I don't. I'm not aware of that being associated with a marina at all.
Speaker 1: So Sarah's friend it should potentially go and see a doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah about the smell only?
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, all right, I've got another dilemma for you, Ginny. The question comes from Ange Ange is forty nine yep, asking for a friend how much forgetfulness is actually normal? They swear they're fine, but they're constantly losing their keys, forgetting why they walked into a room, and blanking on people's names. At what point does forgetfulness go from being a normal part of life to something that should be by a doctor. And are there any signs that suggest it could be more than just being busy, stressed or getting older.
Speaker 2: So and your friend is forty nine and she's in plum perry age, and everything that you have described your friend going through is pretty much out of the textbook.
Speaker 1: For the eighty.
Speaker 2: Percent of women who report getting brain fog around Perry menopause, and that is made worse by any hot flushes, insomnia which is really ubiquitous around Perry, and any moody shoes, which is one in three women get a moody shoe around Perry, and those three seem to be the drivers of your brain fog. Having said all of which, it is always going to be worse if you are drinking more so, try.
Speaker 1: Cutting out our chi Lisa, the water. We're talking alcohol.
Speaker 2: No, we're talking about your ALCOHOLA I would tell your friend maybe to go dry July, Augus, September, October, November and see how that goes for her, maybe eating a bit better. A lot of us turn to a lot more jelly snakes, beavars around that period time because you just feel so dreadful. So I would just give that a shot. See if exercise helps, because that does seem to help a lot with brain fog. Whether it's come from chemo brain or post COVID brain. Everybody, everything seems to respond quite well to exercise. And just to reassure your friend, to get dementia before the age of sixty five is exceptionally rare. I mean, it tends to happen more with these particular genetic conditions that you'll probably know about because maybe mum had dementia at like fifty seven fifty eight and you got told that it could be in your future. But it's it's so rare, and brain fog is so common. I would tell your friend not to worry, but do those couple of lifestyle tweaks to see if we can help it along.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is it from us. Gosh, that went quickly.
Speaker 1: Guys, don't forget.
Speaker 2: To follow the show so you never miss an episode. It'll drop straight into your feed automatically, which is just the best. And make sure you're following us on our socials to stay up to date with everything that we're working on, and there's quite a lot.
Speaker 1: And if you want to hear your asking for a friend question, send us an email or voice note to well at mammamea dot com dot au and we When I say we, I mean Dr Ginny. We'll get to the bottom of it. And please remember information discussed in this podcast is for education purposes only and is not intended to provide professional medical advice. Please seek your own medical advice specific to your circumstances from your healthcare professional. See you next time, Stay well.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on