Speaker 1: Welcome to Mom and me are out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Friday.
Speaker 2: The twenty first of August. I'm Meya Friedman.
Speaker 1: I'm your name was first in the script, and funnily enough, even though I do know my name quite well, I'm still looking at it in the script.
Speaker 3: It's okay.
Speaker 1: I'm really a lester. If anyone cares, you are, I do care. I'm still here for Holly. I'm sorry about that. None of us are happy. And also I'm wearing a Rustley jacket, so add to the list of people who are unhappy or our producers who because I'm rustling.
Speaker 2: It's like shoe jewelry all over again.
Speaker 3: If he's watching the show, you wouldn't realize what like season we're in.
Speaker 4: We look like, you know, Justin Bieber and Hailey Bieber are always dressed for completely different occasions.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's us. I bags.
Speaker 1: Haley Amelia is in like a hale bright orange. I'd say floor orange, cashmere t shirte m. You are in a khaki hole to neck, going out in top singlet jeans in a.
Speaker 2: Nice top jean's a nice top and I'm in a windbreaker with a jaunty neckwork.
Speaker 4: What does that say? What she thinks is going to happen on this podcast? But she's wearing a windbreaker.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's very in right now, okay, And I'm still looking.
Speaker 3: For a cape?
Speaker 2: What sort of caps? I find a hold of cape?
Speaker 1: Which we spoke about on our Subscribe episode on Tuesday that Dane Hathaway was wearing. And I'm also not wearing a fake pregnant belly, not that she was, but some people are saying, Oh, anyway, here's what's on our agenda for today.
Speaker 4: One celebrity couple has this and another does not. We're talking chemistry and why it can't be faked.
Speaker 3: Plus everyone is doing a cleanse. I however, I am doing a clog and I'm going to teach.
Speaker 2: You how I like wearing clogs.
Speaker 1: Also, would you go topless in front of your dad? I'm just gonna give you a second to think about that. I hope you're not driving or even eating or listening with your dad, although some people would. One famous woman just did, and the internet has questions and you can't speak. Is that the mental picture in your head about being topless in front of your dad?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry this was not expecting that. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, in case you see's why Holy should be here.
Speaker 4: In case you miss it.
Speaker 3: Water bottles are shrinking physically, Yes, so we all know our emotional water bottles, emotional support water bottles. This is mine here, it's a mammamea one. We have Frank Green ones. A water bottle says a lot about who you are as a person. Mine has race cars on it and straw.
Speaker 2: How many leaders is that?
Speaker 1: Because when we moved officers as a welcome gift to everybody, we all got our own water bottles, right, and that looks to.
Speaker 2: Me like two leaders?
Speaker 1: Is it's one leader, one lead and that just and even when it's empty, it's still pretty heavy.
Speaker 3: It's very heavy. A fact about these kind of like metal water bottles we have Frank Green. There's also a Wala and Stanley cups. Is that when you drop them they make the sound equivalent to a car crash. Yeah, they're quite lad, quite alarming.
Speaker 1: Also, why do we all need to be hydrated all the time?
Speaker 3: Well, you meant to have like two liters of water a day.
Speaker 2: If you're a supermodel man.
Speaker 3: But we all have our water bottles. We're very attached to them. What we've noticed is that these water bottles are getting smaller and smaller. Mia you have a slightly smaller one than the rest of us.
Speaker 1: I obviously lost the first one that I was given and so given by myself because I also am the co founder of the business. But anyway, I lost it. So I went and bought one the other day. But the problem with those big ones, the one Leader ones, is that they don't fit in a well.
Speaker 2: They're just very heavy. Also, they don't fit in your car, yeah, properly.
Speaker 1: And I like to stay hydrated because I'm basically a camel and so I try to carry a water bottle around with me to drink more. But I had to buy a slightly smaller one, so I think mine's about half the size.
Speaker 2: I guess it's half a Leader.
Speaker 3: It looks neater as well. I was in Kmart last weekend and they had a row of what they called micro water bottles, which were two hundred mL water, which I think.
Speaker 4: Is like a dress box literally. As I want to know, given that this is an emotional support water bottle, what does it say about where we're at. I've usually just hit peak water sizing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've hit peak water bottle. I think we're tired of having them as weights.
Speaker 2: I also think we're well now we're lifting actual weights because we need to.
Speaker 1: We're probably throwing our back out. But also, there's only so much time you can spend sitting on a toilet in a date. And I know this because I spend a lot of it on the toilet, because my bladder is the size of a thimble. That's all the end of the segment.
Speaker 2: A question to.
Speaker 1: Consider, if you've recovered from the mental picture in your head as you go about your weekend.
Speaker 2: Consider this, would you go topless in front of your dad?
Speaker 1: Because someone who answered someone whose answer to this question is hell, yeah. There's a woman called Brooks Nader who I have spent quite a lot of.
Speaker 2: Time looking at. A picture came out this week.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you in a second who she is and because I didn't know, but what I have been looking at is some pictures of her on a yacht in Sardinia, off the coast of Sardinia. I don't know where Sardinia is, but she's topless, and that's fine.
Speaker 2: Who cares boobs?
Speaker 1: But her dad is right next to her and he's not blinking. He's not like, he's not leering or anything. But she's just casually topless, and he's just casually just talking to her or whatever. And he may not blink, but the internet did before. We can talk about the action, both of our own and the internets. Three fun facts about Brooks Nader. If we don't know who she is, which I don't, she.
Speaker 3: Became famous as being like an it girl. She was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She's also like a new generation of Kardashian. She has a reality TV show on Hulu with her three other sisters called Love Thy Nada.
Speaker 4: Biblical, Jimmy Kimmel.
Speaker 3: Jimmy kim He's the.
Speaker 4: One who's basically been the starmaker for Brooks. What do you mean exactly what I just said? And I can't take further questions?
Speaker 2: Okay, interesting? So what's interesting?
Speaker 1: If you go straight to the comments section, which I did, half of the comments are saying she's in Europe relaxed. Americans are just so uptight about their bodies, Amelia, can you confirm?
Speaker 4: Look, this is nightmare fuel to me?
Speaker 2: Are a millions? Are a milions more?
Speaker 1: Up type in Australians and Europeans about nudity.
Speaker 2: Do you think a little.
Speaker 4: Bit, I'd say a little bit. I noticed that in Australia maybe people wearing more kind of g string swimmers regularly to the beach.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I forgot about it.
Speaker 4: Although I will point out that when I was growing up in the nineteen nineties, I'd go to the beach in Sydney and I'd see a lot of women what's the term sunbathing topless? I was one of them, and now they're gone, and that makes me a little bit sad.
Speaker 1: Well, half of the other half of the comments were basically responding to the European comments with that that family is from Louisiana. You don't get to be claim European habits just because you've been there on holiday for a week and a half.
Speaker 3: I thought, you have to immerse yourself into the culture.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting this idea, and people do have their boobs out a lot more in Europe, it's true, and in Australia, you're right, you see it.
Speaker 2: A lot less.
Speaker 4: It is probably so smart.
Speaker 1: I also think it's because of phones, because there's one thing being on a beach topless, another being on the internet top.
Speaker 3: Less, which happened to Brooks.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, that's what happened to Brooks.
Speaker 1: But this idea of being nude in front of people who aren't your intimate partner got us talking about something called the prude Index, which was an expression coined by someone we work with and their group.
Speaker 2: Chat, which is called the Hot Girl group Chat.
Speaker 3: Great name.
Speaker 1: They say it's ironic and that I'm not going to tell you who they are because they're a little bit embarrassed. Any weird group chat names.
Speaker 3: I have some like I don't know if I'm allowed to say, I actually think.
Speaker 2: Is it rude and inappropriate?
Speaker 3: There's rude and inappropriate and involves the name of substances.
Speaker 4: Okay, Amelia, I do they're in jokes?
Speaker 2: Okay you yes, I can't say no. I've got one called growlers.
Speaker 4: That's my favorite.
Speaker 1: I can't explain why that is anyway, the prude Index. So this group of girls, they were talking about being prudes, right or not being prudes, and how the prude index has two axes.
Speaker 2: One is that's the.
Speaker 4: First time you've ever said the word axes on the show.
Speaker 2: I don't say load.
Speaker 1: One of them is how comfortable you are with talking about sex in front of your friends, for example. The other is how comfortable you are being nude in front of your friends or people who aren't your intimate party.
Speaker 4: Because that's different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might be high.
Speaker 1: You might get a lot of points for being very comfortable talking about.
Speaker 2: Your sex life or about sex, but.
Speaker 1: Then you're not comfortable maybe showing your boobs to your friends or getting changed in front of your friends.
Speaker 2: And I would say probably, Well, parents are a whole other story. Amelia, we do you think you rate?
Speaker 1: I've just said Amelia and looked at them. Sorry, I'm just thinking of everybody's boobs. I don't know what to say. I'm just looking at you both and just thinking I don't really care. Like you could get your boobs out now, I could get my boobs out now and not really care.
Speaker 3: I think I'm high on the like sex open. I want to say the opposite of prude. I am very comfortable talking about sex with friends. I think when it comes to the nudity part of things, I think I am a bit more prudish. I feel like I could go topless, but I can't do full vadge out.
Speaker 4: When it comes to nudity. I think two things. There's kind of two variables on these axes. One is culture and one is age, so or maybe life stage. I mean to say so on stage, I think if you have given birth, you are very unlikely to care about nudity in the same way. Ever, again, do you think that's true.
Speaker 2: That's a bit of a conngrension.
Speaker 4: As a mother, I no longer care. And then on the on the culture point, when I lived in Japan, which I know is another annoying sentence, I already started a sentence as a mother. But when I lived in Japan, I realized that when you go to the public barths there, they are sex separated, but you do not wear clothes, so no swimmers in the barths, and you realize that, I think, if you see enough different types of actual bodies, they completely lose their mystique and you get over your own insecurities about it because you realize that no one else cares.
Speaker 1: I used to go to a Korean bath house in my probably my twenties, probably before I had kids, actually, and I found it really quite confronting. Not confronting looking at other women's bodies, but just there are so few times when you're naked, like once you you know, most people aren't even naked in their own house much. I had everyone in my.
Speaker 2: House was out the other day.
Speaker 1: I can't remember why or where they were, but I knew they were out and I was naked in my house.
Speaker 2: I think some of them were actually out of the country.
Speaker 1: And I was naked in my house, and I thought, I'm never ever naked for any length of time. Because also, once you have children, and they're not little children anymore. I mean when they're little, your body's their body, like they don't even just differentiate. But then they get to a certain age where they don't want you to see them and they don't want to see you, and you've got to respect that, even if you're in a naked house, because it's not just what they're comfortable with you seeing, it's what they're comfortable seeing. And I think it's around puberty that kids stop wanting to see their parents nude, because that's when they're starting to think about all that stuff. But what's really interesting is that I never it never changes for me, like I'm happy to go to the toilet in front of my kids or for my kids to see me nude.
Speaker 2: I don't care like they're like in a.
Speaker 1: Category of I mean, I can't think like, yeah, you know what I mean my parents, however, I mean my mom.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't care my dad seen me.
Speaker 4: So are you saying though, in general, on this graph, you are neither brutish about sex nor nudity.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and that's probably a later thing. I agree with you.
Speaker 1: So you changed after I had kids, also as I got older, like when I was in my twenties and stuff. We would never talk about vibrators and all of that kind of stuff. And even though I worked at like Cosmo and Cleo, we would never talk about our you know, sex toys, or we wouldn't We wouldn't really talk about our own stay wives much.
Speaker 4: What's so interesting is that information about sex was so much more gate kept than the sealed sections. The whole concept of a sealed section is just absurd these days.
Speaker 3: I think there's also a difference between going nude for necessity, So like if you were on holiday with your girlfriends and you sharing a room, there's a difference between like being comfortable having your boobs out if you're changing, compared to having your boobs out and before you put your next top on. You're having a conversation.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, which is there? Which is what Brooks Nader was sort of doing on that boat. I don't have a sister, and neither is Amelia.
Speaker 2: What's it like with a sister.
Speaker 3: Oh it's fine, it's so fun. Always forever full frontal, always forever full frontal. I think I have a friend though, who, like well into her like early twenties, would still like shower with her sister. Sorry, yeah, that's odd.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: I don't have a sister.
Speaker 2: I've got nothing to measure it.
Speaker 3: But then she was like that is like so like, why wouldn't you like it's really like, if I'm in the shower and she needs to use a shower, we'll just shower together.
Speaker 2: What about your mum?
Speaker 3: Mom's fine, Yeah, mom's fine.
Speaker 4: But when I was a teenager and i'd be shopping for clothes, remember how fraught that was coming. You just feel such crippling self consciousness about taking your clothes. And they used to be these communal change room sometimes to remember those, I don't think they have any more, probably for phone reasons as well. And I remember my heart would always sink because it'd be like, I cannot get changed in front of these chranger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is pretty funny when your kids are like, no, you can't come in. I'm not, and I'm like, I've seen it before, Bloody made it.
Speaker 2: I cooked that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's interesting because the sister thing changes it for me. The fact that the dad of Brooks Nader has three daughters. Somehow that was an important data point in when I was like, she was comfortable.
Speaker 4: Didn't make it better.
Speaker 1: Well, because I've got friends who either have lots of sisters or like hat or lots of daughters. And when you were in a girl house, the dad just has to muck in, Like the dad's almost just not there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's like because there are.
Speaker 1: So many girls and just like maybe one guy, the dynamic is just different.
Speaker 4: Out ladders in a moment, the couple who has it and the couple who doesn't spot the difference. It was the photos which first stopped my scroll this weekend. I saw Kerry Russell and Matthew Reese, two TV actors, in the new issue of Variety, in matching double denim. They were out in the woods somewhere. Let me just paint you this picture they're out in the woods. They're genuinely enjoying each other's company. In one of the shots, Kerry is cuddled into Matthew's jacket. In another, she's cracking up as he mugs for the camera. I don't even know these actors very well. Obviously, Kerry Russell was in Felicity, then she's in The Diplomats. Matthew Reese is most recently in Widow's Bay. But it wasn't even them as actors that caught me. It was the way they related to each other. Maybe heterosexuality is real. Read a top comment. I thought, age appropriate couple in Hollywood who look their age and radiate love. What a gift? Read another What a gift? I loved that.
Speaker 1: Didn't they meet while they were doing The Americans? Everyone raves about that show, but I've never watched it.
Speaker 4: That's part of what's so interesting about this is that their relationship did start in Scandal, so they were both cast on The Americans. Around twenty twelve, Kerrie was married, she already had two kids, and there was a lot of intrigue around the timeline of when she and her first husband separated. But then eventually she and Matthew were clearly an idem. They confirmed their relationship a couple of years after Kerry announced her separation from her first husband. But that's what's so interesting.
Speaker 1: So they met when they played a couple of secret agents I think on The Americans.
Speaker 2: Yep, oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: And then four years after they met on that set, they announced that they were expecting a child, so they now co parenting three children together. Matthew actually addressed these somewhat scandalous beginnings in this recent New York Times interview.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about Kerrie Russell. She's your partner, thank god.
Speaker 5: Yes, she's also an extraordinary actor. You first work together in The Americans, which is just one of my all time favorite shows.
Speaker 6: What is it like to fall in love with your coach star kind of I remember at the time going, oh no, because I wouldn't advise it.
Speaker 5: You question it because because you know you're playing a romantic partner.
Speaker 6: So you're going, hang on, you know, let's be very serious about this, and you know, carry out two kids. And it wasn't something I was going to enter too lightly. And then sometimes you can't fight it, you know, it's ordained.
Speaker 2: I had no.
Speaker 3: Idea he was, well, I was like, here's that man.
Speaker 4: And what you can't hear in that clip is literally whenever either of them talks about the other one, they just like break out into this full face smile. They cannot stop smiling when they talk about each other. And it's not that they talk about each other a lot. Lady Gossip had a piece this week about the Variety interview and she observed that they don't perform their celebrity as a cup this it is very rare.
Speaker 1: I didn't even realize or like, I knew nothing about them as a couple, Like I know of their work, but they're not like famous famous.
Speaker 2: They're not like you know, tomm and Zendeya or like Nicole and Keith.
Speaker 4: The kind of ideal level of fame. Matthew actually says that he's famous enough to get a good table at a restaurant and then he can eat his meal there in peace, which is I think the perfect level of fame.
Speaker 3: So what do you think makes like what part of their relationship are you obsessed with?
Speaker 4: I think what it is is that they have chemistry, which is such a sort of hard to define thing, but it's also something that you know, it when you see it, and you know when it's not there. So we've talked a lot on this show in recent times about show mances, about this new trend in Hollywood where people are pretending, well, it's not so much that it's new, but it's been happening a lot lately where people pretend that maybe they're in a relationship.
Speaker 3: Is a relationship with j Lo.
Speaker 4: In that Netflix movie that she made with ted La so Man.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Office, And it happened also with Liam Nisan and Pam Anderson on the Nika Gun Press tour, and I started with Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell for the Idea of You.
Speaker 4: And also just very recently, Kaya Goerber and Homer gear are in that new Rye Murphy show and there's a little bit of sort of intriguing gossip around them. And yet, you know, when we looked at Pam and Liam on the Red Carpet, we wanted to believe they were a couping, But did it ever really in our bones feel true. No, Whereas when you look at Kerry and Matthew, you know it's real. And what's interesting about it is that it's not just about PDA In fact, Kerry and Matthew in the Variety interview don't even touch each other. They're in two separate armchairs doing the interview. Think about Kylie and Timothay, for instance, those two are constantly touching each other. I'm sure they like each other a lot. Do I feel like they have oodles of chemistry that in just bibable quality? No, So, if it's not PDA, what is it that we're seeing when we say that's chemistry.
Speaker 3: I think it's quiet chalance. Like it's not nonchalance, and it's not chalance, it's quiet chalance. Love this And I noticed this sometimes on red carpets, especially with Tom and Zendaya. Yes, he's perfect, always looking at her, like wherever he is, he's doing an interview, and he's looking at her. And then he will like quietly, like if her the strap of her dress lips off, he will like quietly put it there without making a big fuss about it. I also recently saw a TikTok of this couple sitting at a table and I think one of her friends was filming them, and she drops something on the floor and he's engaged in a different conversation. She drops something on the floor and she bends to pick it up, and he quietly puts his hand on the edge of the table so she doesn't bump her head as she gets up. It's like those little things.
Speaker 2: It's noticing, it's noticing, it's noticing.
Speaker 4: So where for instance, we've talked about Dual de bro and Callum Turner on this show and how he is extravagantly in love with her, is that chemistry or is that a bit different?
Speaker 3: I think it's if you talk about it.
Speaker 4: Too much, that's not chemistry necessarily.
Speaker 1: So look at Nikola Peltzbeckerm and Brooklyn. To me, they're both in love with.
Speaker 4: Her, yes, whereas David and Victoria chemistry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He posted just this week a shot of her like in this sort of sea through she is skirt walking from behind, like.
Speaker 3: Clearly like he's obsessed with her.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, And so you can see this in real life too, Like these are just celebrity couples. But I think we've all had that experience where you've met a couple and sometimes they make sense to you. That's a phrase that I think you can use as a substanceute for chemistry, or they make sense together. And sometimes you can't quite figure out what the dynamic is.
Speaker 1: It's almost what it isn't so in in couples that have chemistry, there's no ambivalence. Yeah right, there's no there's obviously no contempt, but there's a real there's a real attention. It's the noticing, like it's not performative. The other thing I love about Carrie Russell and Matthew Reese is that they're like fifty and fifty one and they both look it yep, and they look so beautiful.
Speaker 4: But also like that.
Speaker 2: They're the same age, yes, because that's kind.
Speaker 4: Of rare, and that they're equals in so many ways. Let's listen to this delightful clip from the Variety interview, which will give you a sense of how they interact with each other. And what you should know is at the start, Kerrie is laughing so hard that you can't hear it, you know, that kind of silent laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: How do you pick what project to work on?
Speaker 2: Cash?
Speaker 6: Cash basis like what pays most wins? Very simple, three children and a mortgage. I'll get after it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: In fairness as a script, I'd never seen it's so good. I was desperate to do that.
Speaker 3: Almost everything he does, he's always like he thinks he's not great.
Speaker 4: He thinks he's always like.
Speaker 5: I think that's every acrect And this was the only thing he's ever come home.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, he likes this, but that means like he goes, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Fine, it was fine.
Speaker 6: And I'm like that.
Speaker 4: That's a rich text to me because there's a couple of components I want to pull out from that. First of all, notice how she big ups him and he is immediately like trying to bat it down, like oh, every actor does that. But she's observed him, she's noticed him, and she's trying to support him as he's selling this project and instead of just sort of going along with it, he tries to be self deprecating, but she's like, no, this is true, this is real. So there's that element of supporting him, but also like the easy humor between the two of them, like three kids in a mortgage and like they're just they're just supporting each other but also being real and honest.
Speaker 1: With each And the reason, of course they did the interview together was because they're both nominated for I think multiple Emmys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a really interesting publicity move from them because they don't. As we talked about, they don't normally do stuff like this. But what they're trying to do is basically get Emmys for their various projects, Kerry for The Diplomat on Netflix and Matthew for Widow's Bay, which is my favorite TV show of the year.
Speaker 3: It's a smart strategy, I think.
Speaker 1: After the break, the three things we loved most this week A movie, a fragrance, and a hack for applying concealer.
Speaker 3: Before we get into our recos today, I have some breaking personal news. I'm doing a clog. Let me explain. So I saw a photo on substack and it was a picture of a woman inhaling a bowl of pasta and the title of the photo was, while everyone's doing a cleanse, I'm doing a clog. And I was like, this is a trend I can get behind. Even though it's not really a trend, I'm making it a trend. Can I tell you some of my clog activities, prioritizing carbs, especially over protein. Amelia. You taught me this one, having a mocha instead of a flat.
Speaker 4: This is my greatest life hack of all time. Do you know that you can order chocolate in your coffee and no one tells you you can't. Did you know that I didn't a mocker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of carbs versus protein, that's a clog of a different kind.
Speaker 2: All of this shout out.
Speaker 1: The midlife women who are lifting weights and chugging protein.
Speaker 3: Putting vassaline all over my face instead of a fancy one hundred dollars moisturizer.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's just sill.
Speaker 3: Pick it up, clog it up. Not wearing makeup on weekends. I'm clogging, staying inside to watch TV or read, even if it's a quote nice day out.
Speaker 2: Oh I see.
Speaker 1: So it's not just it's basically doing the what is It's like doing the opposite of what's good for you.
Speaker 3: You're doing the opposite of like constantly trying to better ourselves, like.
Speaker 4: The opposite of maxing. It's meaning.
Speaker 3: I love it's doing it's meaning. And my last one having dessert to every meal, including breakfast.
Speaker 4: I love her.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's my clog activities. You're welcome to join.
Speaker 4: Firing vibes ideas Atosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 3: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 2: It's reco's time.
Speaker 1: Do you know that The most popular part of our episode is recos and we've got some crackers today.
Speaker 3: I believe that because I just told Amelia I've started reading and you've read it to ask not the Kennedy women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so good. The thing about.
Speaker 1: Our recos, if I do say so myself, they have a very long tale. So it's not just that we reco things that are like, listen to this, this is the hot thing right now.
Speaker 2: There's some classics in there. Like often I'll be like, what should I read? Oh I remember? Not whole actually sometimes whole.
Speaker 1: It's the TV shows of holes that are not my vibe, but lots about louders really like that.
Speaker 3: A lot about louders are starting to read a lot of and patch it after.
Speaker 1: You recommend phats. It was so good, Amelia, what are you recommending this?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, grab a micro and ridden patch it always yes, you know we're going to go wrong with that. My record was something which has been bringing me some real joy this past week. And it's a bit random, but they're with me. It's a perfume, and it's not just any perfume, but it's a perfume that I wore in high school that I have rediscovered sort of.
Speaker 3: When you smell it at you getting like memory.
Speaker 4: No, for sure, like scent is so closely tied with memories, and I had this perfume. I decided I needed a signature scent in high school because I read a lot of women's magazines edited by me, and that told me to do that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I wrote it.
Speaker 4: So I went to the perfume shop because there used to be like little shops then that weren't like Amazon. And I walked in and I was like, I need a signature cent. I was in my school uniform, and basically we wound up picking one called Gucci Envy.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 4: It was launched in nineteen ninety seven. I'd say up for it.
Speaker 1: My first part was in an a after Impulse Classic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had spic Skull's Impulse, and then I graduated to Gucci MB. Tom Ford was in charge of Gucci. He's like my favorite, and it's just this classic nineties cent. It's sort of like.
Speaker 1: Big scent, big bottles now well clean green is how I describe it.
Speaker 4: Lily of the Valley and like a little bit of cedar at the end. It's it's like what Gwyneth Paltrow was wearing in great expectations when she wore that green set.
Speaker 2: Was she actually wearing no marr? Okay, yep.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it was just continued around twenty eleven. I don't know why, and now bottles of it actually go one hundreds of dollars online and every now and then I kind of look and look them up and think I can't possibly justify this. But I recently learned that there's a small business in Melbourne called the Dupe Spot and it makes a very respectable version that they say is inspired by MVY. The thirty miliidp is thirty five dollars, which, to take me back to my youth, is kind of cheap, and.
Speaker 2: The original would have been hundred, like one hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was. Yeah, it came two days after I ordered it. I've just been spraying it ever since. Look, I will be honest. Rex is a time to be honest. This perfume doesn't have amazing staying power, like you put it on in the morning and it's gone two hours later. But it cost me thirty five dollars And it's really all about the nostalgia trip. And I love this shop because it makes all sorts of other versions of hard to find or obscure or discontinued cents. So some others it's got the Body Shop's nineties white musk formulation because they changed it out, or Stella McCartney's original scent. Do you remember that one from the early two thousands that was a classic. Takes me back to that time.
Speaker 2: K one I remember from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So just just have a browse around the dupe spot and see what time travel you can do.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting.
Speaker 1: I can't revisit fragrances. They're too evocative for me. I have to have a fragrance, wear it for a period of time and then like every day, and then I stop and I never go back to it.
Speaker 2: I actually can't stand to smell it them again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because nostalgia person.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a hyperfixation person. So it becomes so inextricably linked for me to a moment in time. Like I can't wear the fragrance I was wearing during COVID obviously.
Speaker 4: Was it La Labo Santa thirty three?
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: I can't remember what it was, but if I smelt it, I would be able to tell you. Because I would just start twitching. Yeah, I find that I find fragrances to a vocative. But there is one that I really miss, which is Romeo JILLII, which is a designer who I don't even think it around anymore. But it was a fragrance that I wore a lot in the nineties and might be able to go back to that. I'll go on a hop on that website.
Speaker 4: You just reminded me that the reason I could afford that Coucci envy is because I had a job working at the mall at Red Earth. Do you remember that very well?
Speaker 3: I do not remember this.
Speaker 2: It was like the Australian version of the Body Shop.
Speaker 3: Oh nice. I'm not a big France person because I usually forget to put it on before I leave the house. Big on deodorant, I'm always with my doo. The only fragrance that I always think about is the Elizabeth Arden green tea. Yes, love it, and I think it's because it's my mom's scent, and whenever I smell it, I just think of my house. So I bored it and I was like, oh my god, I feel like a boss bitch.
Speaker 4: That's so true. Your mom's scent is such a classic genre long comentras or is my mom.
Speaker 3: Oh so nice? My reco Today is a movie I saw in the cinema, so I'm sorry. You have to go to the cinemas if you want to see it. It's the movie that everyone's talking about because of Anne Hathaway the End of Oak Street. It stars Anne Hathaway and you and McGregor. It's the one where she came out on the we talked about in the subs episode in the Jeans and the Cape yeap, and she was actually theme dressing for the character in this movie. Because the character is a suburban mum in the eighties. She's kind of having a tough time with her family. She wants to divorce her husband, and she's writing this big novel about it. While this is all happening, the finally dynamics overnight, the whole suburb she's living in gets transported to another period of time that involves dinosaurs, the Cretaceous period. And then it's hard.
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 3: It goes from like lovely family, happy movie to crazy action dinosaurs killing everyone. It's so good. You know what it reminds me of because it is And I love this movie so much, and I was trying to think why I love it because it's so bizarre, so random. It's because it's an original IP and an original screenplay. And I'm getting the same feelings when I watch Sinners for the first time, Like we're in like this world where everyone's doing sequels. Adaptation, yeah, big license, Yeah, like big production companies don't want to take risks with anything new, so they just keep doing the same thing over and over again because they know it's what works and what's makes them money. And the reason, coming back to her theme dressing, was she was creating these big conversations because the cast really needed to because this movie like took eighty million, I think to make, and they have to really push it to make sure that they make that money.
Speaker 2: So the dinosaurs, Is it a bit Jurassic Park? Is it like that? Yes?
Speaker 3: But I am a dinosaur Nord and there aren't really like Jurassic dinosaurs in it.
Speaker 4: Is it funny?
Speaker 2: Why do I think.
Speaker 4: It's like dark Hue like some accurate to say it's kind of a throwback to like Honey I Shrunk. The kids kind of.
Speaker 3: Vibe yes, because it's said in the eighties, and then they go back to the Cretaceous period is so good.
Speaker 2: The Cretaceous period. The fashion is good.
Speaker 3: The dinosaurs look amazing. The dinosaurs are actually accurate dinosaurs. They have like feathers and fur. Okay, it's just like really fun, really original. It like spins all the tropes on their heads, so every like people in the like, I haven't been in a more engaged audience. People were screaming, scream laughing, scream crying.
Speaker 2: It was just that doesn't happen when you're watching it.
Speaker 4: It sounds like a good date movie.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It's just such a fun, like energy driven movie.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting that she did that time travel one because she's also going to star in Yesteryear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, probably practicing.
Speaker 1: Okay, my reco I've brought props, which is not very interesting if you're listening to this, but just stay with me. I have I'm leaning into things that you don't have to buy, just things that you can do.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: So my trick that I saw on a reel or a TikTok is a new way to put on concealer. You might already be doing this, but when I used to put on concealer, I used to because I've got really dark circles under my eyes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I used to put it all the way up to my what's it called, up to my lash line? I used to go all the way out there, right, looks a bit strange, makes your eyes look a bit weird. And so this makeup artist was saying, don't put it too close to your lash line because naturally there are shadows where your bottom lashes are anyway, and if you put it all the way up, you look a little bit like a gerbil something else.
Speaker 2: We're talking about.
Speaker 3: Placing instead kind of on your cheekbone. Yeah, blending it upwards, uh, well, sort of blended down.
Speaker 1: So I'm putting it like I'm just letting that bit. You know how, Sometimes when if you don't take your makeup off properly, it looks really good the next day when it's a little bit smudgy around your lower lashes anyway, because it looks okay, I'm wearing using a phenomenal concealer that's super cheap.
Speaker 2: I hope they still have it.
Speaker 1: It's for us before it does good concealers. It's called best skin Ever, but it's called glow. They've got two varieties ones. It's sort of Matt. This is my one of my favorite concealers. I'm a bit of a concealer or whore. I would say, well, I call it about myself, like I love it. I'm happy with all of my concealers. I buy a lot of concealers, and I buy a lot of bensive concealers, but I always come back to this one because when you get a little bit more creepy under your eyes, you can't have anything to dry, and I can't use like, you know, the oily like the ones that are in like yeah, you know, in tubs and stuff. I have to use very liquidy ones.
Speaker 3: And as a blend well with your skincn other makeup products.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I really, I really love it. And also put it all the way up in.
Speaker 4: Up here, like putting it in the side of bone.
Speaker 2: Is that what it's called?
Speaker 3: Can I quickly do extra reco This one's for Mamma Mia subscribers. We're doing another giveaway and a lucky subscriber we'll get a five thousand dollars Gold Coast get away with dream World for four people. Anti.
Speaker 1: My favorite part about being a Mama mea subscriber is that one of them is that you don't have to do anything to win stuff. You just by being a subscriber, You just can get one of these great prices and you.
Speaker 3: Could win this huge It includes return flights, a two night's accommodation, gift cards for transfers and meals. You get express passes, you get photos with wildlife, so much more. It's going on a holiday without doing the crappy part of the holiday, which is a planning and the logistics. You don't have to be in Nicole for this one, no, we all we do it for you. If you're not a subscriber yet, you have until August thirty first to become a subscriber and then you'll be automatically entered. Also, if you're a subscriber, you get all of the subscriber benefits. You get our Tuesdays and Thursday's episodes, you get more Mamma Mea articles, you get access to our fitness app Move, you get so So March T and c's apply.
Speaker 1: This has been your Friday episode. Enjoy your weekend. Maybe you're already on it. If so, we will be joining you soon. Otherwise we will be back in your ears on Monday bye bye bye.
Speaker 3: Mamma mea acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast out louders.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to let you down.
Speaker 3: Friends. My dms are full.
Speaker 7: You're all like, come on, Holly, way in on this Harry and Meg's business, and look I would, But the truth that is, I am in Manchester, got some family things going on. Hands are full, but I am keeping a beady iron it all for you from close proximity. Not that wherever they're going to live probably the Cotswolds or somewhere fabulous like that is anywhere near Manchester. I don't think Manchester is on their real estate shortlist, but you never know.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 7: I can tell you that the vibe here is very divided between those who are like, oh, welcome home Harry, family reunion, isn't that nice? The King's obviously forgiven him and those who are like, are you kidding? They're traitors. I hope William chases them out with a shitty stick. So you know, either way, it's going to be interesting. But I can tell you I gasped. I gasped when I saw the news.
Speaker 8: I was like, after not great week, I was like this is Christmas for those of us who have been rooting for Harry and Meg's reunion.
Speaker 7: I will keep abreast of things for you. I know me is doing an amazing job. I will back with you soon.
Speaker 4: Lots of love,