Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm Ama Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Biz Your Work Life Sorted. I'm m Vernon and today we're diving into something that could completely transform how you work. The world's best work hacks from the most brilliant minds in the business. Today's episode is your Lifeline. We've gathered game changing shortcuts from global experts, including professors from Yale and NYU, tech founders and productivity gurus. Our career coaches Michelle Badisbye and Sohurst are breaking down their all time favorite work hacks. Plus, we have a special guest on who has interviewed literally every major work expert on the planet, and she is sharing her top eight genius shortcuts, from redesigning your physical environment to boosting productivity to the science behind making networking actually enjoyable. This episode is basically your cheat sheet to working smarter, not harder. The best part is is that these hacks are ridiculously simple to implement, so you can start using them today.
Speaker 3: So Michelle out Loud did an episode called Fuck First and Other Cheat CODs for Life, and it was my favorite episode they've ever done. So I've always wanted to do a work edition of that where it is you and I share our favorite shortcuts, hacks, and cheat codes for work and life. So that is what we're giving you in this episode today, as well as eight of the best hacks that we've curated from the best global podcasters, authors and experts in the world.
Speaker 4: I am so excited for this episode, and it feels fitting because this will be sop and my last episode on the Bierz Pod. So we want to leave you with our all time greatest hacks.
Speaker 3: Wrapping the season up with our favorite work tips, and we hope this is something that you can bookmark and keep coming back to.
Speaker 5: Okay, so hit us with the first one.
Speaker 3: Number one is to put expiry dates on work stuff. So what I mean by that is, so you meet someone and you're like, hey, let's start doing a weekly that'd be cool if we do like a weekly catch up. Say to them, let's do six sessions and then see how it goes. And when you set that reoccurring meeting in your calendar, do not send it to reoccur indefinitely. Set it for six sessions, and then if you want to keep doing it, you can, but there is nothing worth then each person taking turns to awkwardly cancel the meeting and the vibe just getting weird. So set it for a specific amount of sessions.
Speaker 4: Oh so if you literally just change my life, like, I will be in my calendar straight after this setting.
Speaker 5: Expirer is exacly.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: My hack is a networking one.
Speaker 4: So if you're meeting people for the first time, you've had a great conversation, or just honestly a way to maintain your network in general, send yourself an email after the conversation, put their name as the subject, and write down in dot points the key things that you spoke about, like if it was personal stuff going on in their life, if it was something profound that they shared with you, if it was an insight. So the next time that you hit them up or you meet them, you can go back into your emails, look up their name, and you've kind of got this running list of the things you've spoken about with that person over and over.
Speaker 3: Instantly doing that that it sounds so easy. Okay. Number three, If you elevate your status at work and make people think that you're important, start using the word time more so. You want to cate the vibe that you respect your own time and that you respect other people's time, so you want to use phrases like I've blocked time to look at this on Friday, or let me look at my time plan for the week before you actually say yes to task. You want to be loud about giving people time back, so you use phrases like giving you your time back, so I've dropped my questions in this doc instead of us having a meeting. And also, don't be late for meetings. Don't rush around the office. Make sure that you are getting to meetings on time and not running in between things. Be someone who talks about time a lot.
Speaker 5: Oh I love that.
Speaker 4: Okay, this segue is nicely off the back of time. If you want to manage your time more effectively and protect your time eroplane mode I always have my phone on aeroplane mode or do not disturb. And this also applies to email notifications and Slack. I haven't had email notifications on my phone since twenty sixteen. I have never turned on Slack notifications. It is such a distraction when you see that stuff popping up, so just disable them and check Slack and check your email intermittently, or create time blocking moments for you to get back to slacks or get back to email, and if anyone ever needs you urgently, let people know this is what you do, and come up with a way for them to contact you if they need you urgently.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you want to aim for about ninety minutes to t hours of that type of airplane mode a day. Ideally if you can, that would be number one for me, Michelle, I love that hack.
Speaker 1: If you've got people.
Speaker 3: In your life that you communicate with regularly, like daily, weekly, at some point you want to ask them this question, what do other people do in communication that you find annoying or makes it hard for you? And they might say why do you want to know? And you say, because I want to make sure that I never do those things. Honestly, this question is game changing. It opens people up to actually tell you the things that you might be doing to them in a way that doesn't feel like they're criticizing you. So at some point with people ask them that question.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I love that. I'm going to start doing that one immediately.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: My last hack again kind of comes back to time. So there was a period in my life where I felt like I just wasn't getting those moments to sit in my own thoughts and to really pro sess things or digest.
Speaker 5: What was going on in my business.
Speaker 4: And I didn't feel like there was time in the day for me to fit that in anywhere. So I spoke to my career coach about this, and she told me to come up with think time. And she was like, what do you do every single day at the same time? And I was like, okay, well, I go to the gym every day. And she was like, all right, how much think time do you need? And I was like, honestly, about ten minutes. And so she was like, Okay, leave for the gym five to ten minutes earlier. Put in your calendar like six point fifty am every day, blocked think time, and just rewire your brain to Okay, I'm in the car, I'm driving to the gym, and I'm just going to start letting my mind run and think. And then when i'd get to the car park, I'd just sit there for an extra five or so minutes and I would just write things in my notes and kind of use it as this moment fresh in the morning to actually like process or give myself time and permission to just think about other things relating to work.
Speaker 3: For all the moms out there, I think that one is really important, all right. The next one, getting better at speaking is one of the biggest shortcuts that you can make to be seen as more senior, and it's also one of the most shore fire things that you can get better at. So here is my very quick hacks for getting better at it. Is to record yourself speaking, literally, record yourself video camera, and you have to force yourself to watch it back. I promise you that's the fastest way. If you can't bring yourself to do that, start sending a lot of voice notes to friends, and then listen back to your voice notes so you can pick up on things that you might want to change in your communication. And then the other one is to move before public speaking. So if you've got a presentation or some kind of talk, you have to give it work. You've got a lot of adrenaline that's going on in your body. You have to move your body to get that out, and that's going to help you feel more calm when you're actually speaking.
Speaker 5: Oh that's so good.
Speaker 4: So because in media training, this is actually what they do to you, so like they will put you in front of a camera and start interviewing you, and then you will be forced to watch yourself back on camera and you'll realize, like, oh, when I'm nervous, I lick my lips or or you know, I sound hesitant around that topic, and it is a very good way to build confidence.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to leave you with three really short ones. If people ask to have a coffee or a chat with you, ask them to send you a couple of bullet points on what they want to chat about. First, you will be so surprised how many people never send them to you. And then you don't have to do that chat. If you don't want to start your day with anything except checking your emails, anything else, just do not start your day checking your emails. I promise you that will help a lot. And then the last one, don't ask people how are you at work? You will only get boring answers. Ask people forward looking questions. So what's big this week? Or what are you excited about? Is there anything you're looking forward to that will help you get information that they actually want to talk about, and then you can chat about with them next time. Okay, so coming out next you're going to hear from someone who has interviewed all of the biggest experts in the world, and she has curated her all time eight favorite work life hacks. Cannot wait for you to hear these. We're here with Amantha who has interviewed every single world class work expert in the world, and she is giving us eight of the greatest things she has ever heard. These experts tell her that are going to make not just your work, but your life better. So hit us, Amantha. Let's go with number one.
Speaker 6: Okay, my first one comes from Professor Adam Altat, who's a professor over at the Stone School of Business in NYU, and he talks about why goal setting is broken. So so many of us set goals, and we're told that setting goals is a really good thing. But goal setting is broken for this reason. Whenever we set a goal, and let's take a very common goal that a lot of people have set in their personal lives at some stage is to lose weight. Let's just say my goal is I want to lose five kill Now until our scale is saying in negative five on its little display, we are in a state of failure, which is obviously very demotivating. As humans, we want to succeed. We don't want to fail. And so what Adam shared with me on how I work is he said, sure, I've got an end state that I'm heading to, but instead of having a goal and being in a constant state of failure, I set daily systems that if I can do that system every day, I know that I'm going to reach that end point. For example, how I'm applying it Right now, I am on deadline for my fifth book, and I quld set myself the goal of going, okay, I need to produce a sixty thousand word manuscript, which is quite overwhelming. But instead I've set myself a daily system where every day I write one thousand words and I know that at the end of sixty days, I'm going to have a draft that I can then play with. So it's all about sticking to that daily system. And because I can do that, it's very achieved. I can feel successful every day.
Speaker 3: I love this so much because it's like you're taking the effort out of it. In a way. It's like you've already designed the system, and then when you wake up on the day, you're simply executing that system. So if you're like I've already picked the priority that I'm going to work on. I've seen the block in my calendar. I just execute that priority and do that thing, and just follow the steps that I've already designed. That's all I'm doing versus a goal, which just feels like you're already too hard and probably why so many of us failed, like being in that state of failure number two.
Speaker 6: Okay, so this is completely different. Something I think about a lot is my energy, because I think that unless we're having a high level of energy, it's really hard to be impactful, like and effective in any area of our life. So I take my energy levels very very seriously. And one of the best hacks that I've found, and I've heard this from.
Speaker 1: Several guests on the show.
Speaker 6: I also heard it when I was researching my last book, The Health Habit, is to run experiments with what is called CGM. So CGM stands for continuous glucose monitor And unless you are diabetic, you probably don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: So what it is.
Speaker 6: It's a medical device, but you can get it from a chemist, so anyone can access one. They're about ninety nine dollars I think for the device. It's about one hundred dollars and that cooks up to an app as well. What it is if you imagine a table tennis ball squashed. That's about the size of it, and you stick it on the back of your arm like on your tricep, and it's got a needle, a very fine needle that pierces through your skin, which sounds painful to apply, but trust me, it's not. And I hate needles. And what it does is while it's on you and you leave it on for about two weeks, is it takes continuous measures of your blood glucose or blood sugar levels. Now why this matters is that I'm sure so that you've had the experience where after lunch your brain feels like mush and you could have like a little lie down. Yes, I need to have that. Yes, yeah, very very common. And what is typically happening if you were to look at your blood gluecose levels is you've probably had a spike in your levels after lunch and then you've crashed and your energy will essentially match what is going on with your.
Speaker 1: Black gluecose levels.
Speaker 6: So we're wearing a CGM and doing a CGM experiment is great is you can start to experiment with different food combinations, because some types of food combinations are going to spike you and then crash you and be really bad for energy, and others are going to be really good for your energy. And the thing is, it's different for every person. The idea that we shouldn't eat white bread because that's high GI it is a myth. For some people will sustain our energy perfectly fine after having a white bread sandwich.
Speaker 1: For other people, we will crash.
Speaker 6: And So what I do I do this about one or two times a year, is I will spend two weeks wearing the CGM, tracking my blood gluecose levels and experimenting with different food combinations to see which ones sustain my energy.
Speaker 3: My god, I love this. I really like the word experimenting. I am gonna do it number three.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 6: This is something that I've had recommended to me again by a few guests, definitely Cal Newport, who's probably most well known for writing the book Deep Work, Who's amazing. I know he has recommended it, as have several others. Is when I am trying to change my habits, I try to redesign my physical environment to support the habits I'm trying to build.
Speaker 1: So, for example, I don't.
Speaker 6: Think that there's people listening that are like, I wish I was on my phone more often.
Speaker 1: I wish I would get even more distracted by my phone. No one really thinks that, right.
Speaker 6: A lot of us are trying to reduce the amount of time that we spend on our phone, the amount of time that we spend glued to TikTok or Insta or whatever. But the thing is, if you think about, like a typical twenty four hours in your li life, So how many hours do you reckon your phone is more than arms reach away?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Like zero?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Would I lose it?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Like You're not alone. I think most of us are like that. And so for me, my phone it is not helping me do my work. It's certainly not helping me get to sleep or start the morning. Well, so I try to think about how many hours during that twenty four hour period can I make sure that my phone is out of arms reach away, because if it is, say in another room, it puts some friction in the way of me just doing a quick check of my phone, Like when I'm looking to procrastinate. Likewise, if I go to sleep and my phone is not charging by my bed, I'm not at all tempted to be checking social media while I try to get to sleep at night. So design the physical environment in a way that supports the habits you're trying to create.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so sure, I remember the one around like laying out your gym clothes like the night before. I heard one the other day around a lot of us get the Sunday scaries with work, and if you sort of lay out your work outfit the night before and it's kind of all ready to go, you're minimizing that friction in the morning. A physical environment is actually sort of supporting you. Then in getting out the door. Oh, there was one I saw on TikTok that was they've got a basically like grab and go draw that's right near the front door, and it's everything that they need when they walk out of the house, so like keys, lip, balm, whatever else they need, and it's just like everything's always kept there. I really like that one.
Speaker 6: Okay, next one, this comes from Rahul Vora, who is the founder of probably my favorite piece of software that I use, called Superhuman. So if you hate being in your inbox. If you hate email, I highly recommend checking out Superhuman.
Speaker 1: I've used it for years.
Speaker 6: It is the best email software out there, compatible with Microsoft and Gmail and so forth.
Speaker 1: Rahul gave me this tip.
Speaker 6: He said, spend time investing on learning the keyboard shortcuts for the software that you use most, which I think is such a surprising tip. Like most of us know how to you know, do like a command C for copy, command V for paste, and so forth. But Rahul said he's a computer programmer. By the way, we're so much quicker on our computers if we're sticking with the keyboard rather than going between our mouse and the keyboard. So if you want speed in what you're doing when you're using software online, whether that be word processing documents or browsing the internet or in your inbox, learn the most common keyboard shortcuts and you will work significantly faster for everyone listening.
Speaker 3: This is our PSA signal to actually do it, because I think we know how much faster it is for the couple that we know, But it just feels like the idea of spending an hour learning some of these, or like committing to five minutes a day learning a new shortcut is just like feels too hard, but it's gonna save you so much time. I'm also amount this is probably gonna make you cry. But I can't type right so I only type with three fingers, so I'm painfully slow. Thank you, thank God for voice mode now. But keyboard shortcuts I can actually do. So this is my sign I'm committing to learning keyboard shortcuts. Will actually share some of our favorite ones in the newsletter as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, number five, I think yes. Okay, we talked about favorite software. I lie this is equal favorite, so Loom dot com LOM.
Speaker 1: This is goal.
Speaker 6: So I hate meetings. So I seem you're the same. Do you hate meetings? There's too many of them, although not an inventium because we've eliminated most of them.
Speaker 1: But I love Loom.
Speaker 6: What Loom is is it software that really effortlessly records your screen and also your camera if you want to be on screen, or it can just record you on screen or just record like you know, what you're doing on your computer. And where it's really good is it's really good for so many meetings are just about information sharing, and that is such a bad use of people's time. So at Inventium. For example, the consultancy that I run, we have a rule where we just don't use meetings to do one way communication. So instead, if I've got something to share, if I've got like a big update or an announcement, I will create a LOOM video, which is kind of like a quick presentation to the team that they can watch on one point five X speed whenever they want. I also find that loom is great for delegation or explaining a process to someone. So if I am, you know, trying to go through a new project management process and I want to get another teammate across it, I will just create a LOOM of me working through it live and narrating myself and what I'm doing, and then I can just share that Loom link with my teammate and go, hey, watch this, and you'll be.
Speaker 1: Across how we do this process at Inventium.
Speaker 3: Plus one to everything you just said, that is exactly how I use it. The one point five x speed is so awesome. I also create anything that I think I'll be doing more than once. With my design agency or you know the other people that I work with, I've been creating looms, saving them in a database and it's just so much faster. I absolutely love it. It's also very user intuitive. It's such an amazing tool.
Speaker 6: Number six, I hate networking and I feel like I'm definitely not alone. I don't meet too many people that love going to events where they don't know anyone, but they are expected to meet people. And a few years ago I interviewed professor Marissa King, and she is a professor over at Yale in organizational behavior, and she gave me the best tip that I've ever heard to take the pain out of networking. So when you walk into a room at an event, what it often feels like is this big ocean full of people, and an ocean full of strangers quite often and it feels really overwhelming, particularly if you're a bit more introverted like I am. So she said, firstly, it's not an ocean, it's islands. It's lots of little islands of clusters of people talking. And what Marissa's said to me, she said, look for groups that have an odd number in them, and ideally a group of three, because in a group of three or any odd number, there's always going to be one person that is on the outer. And she said, find that group of three, find the person that's on the outer, and then connect in with them and very soon you'll have like a little diet of a conversation going. Probably the other two people will break off separately, and all of a sudden, you've made a connection. So whenever I'm in a new group, I'm looking for a group of three and I'm identifying.
Speaker 1: Who is on the outer that I'm going to target.
Speaker 3: So I heard this on your podcast Ametha, and I started using it and I can confirm it is so good. I was like, I have to look into why this actually works. And it's like people naturally end up sort of wanting to talk in like directly with someone else, like in a pair, especially if it's a noisy room, so people will naturally sort of pair off. And if it's an odd number, then you've got someone who's sort of left find the people islands. That is absolutely gold number seven.
Speaker 6: So this comes from Nicky Sparshot, who used to head up Unilever in Australia. I love this because it's about setting boundaries, which is something that I think a lot of people struggle to do, particularly a lot of women. Nikki is someone that is asked to do so many things. I think she's now in a global role for Unilever and she likes saying yes, like she likes being helpful, but she also thinks about her own boundaries. So she taught me a strategy that she calls yes butt, So when she's got a request made of her, she will generally default to yes, but then she will give it some constraints or some boundaries. So it might be yes, I can do this presentation for you, but I can only do fifteen minutes and then I have to run. So it's thinking about how can you say yes? Because I think we all want to be helpful, But the butt is what are the boundaries or constraints that we're going to put around that.
Speaker 3: That's actually so simple and I can immediately imagine myself using that, even if the boundary is like yes, but it's going to be in three months time. Actually, I realized someone did this to me the other day. I was so smart. I asked someone for something like can I have a coffee with you? And he said yes, but can you share three bullet points around what it is that you actually want to cover? And then when I actually came to like figuring out what I wanted to ask. I was like, I don't actually need to bother this person. I was like, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: It's all good.
Speaker 3: So that's a very fast bats you all right?
Speaker 1: Number eight, Amantha? Okay.
Speaker 6: Final one comes from Gretchen Ruben, who I love. I love her work All around Happiness. The Happiness Project is one of my favorite books of all times. Yeah, so I was very excited when I had her on how I work and she talked about a hack around gratitude because I think we all know, yeah, we should be grateful and we should maybe keep a gratitude journal or something like that, but quite frankly.
Speaker 1: It's still just too hard.
Speaker 6: So she says, how can you think about linking gratitude into daily behaviors? And the best hack I got from her was can you change your computer password so that it is a phraser of sentence that when you tie bit out, it makes you feel grateful?
Speaker 1: And obviously I can't share what mine is. That would be a bit of.
Speaker 6: A security issue, but I love that because whenever I type in my computer password, I'm like, ah, that makes me feel really good because it's reminded me one of the things that I feel grateful for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my computer passwords right now are based on books I'm reading, but I like this gratitude one. I'm going to switch that. That's good, Amantha, Thank you. That is eight amazing hacks. Michelle and I are going to add ours as well. Just a massive thank you, My.
Speaker 1: Pleasure, My pleasure.
Speaker 4: That was incredible. Sof the Islands of Three blew my mind. That is such a good networking hack that I will absolutely be implementing, and it makes so much sense. But I also loved the move away from meetings that you don't need and replacing them with loom as. It's such a great tool. Okay, So, as we mentioned at the start, this is our last episode, so we hope we've left you with some hacks that'll help you move through your career, move through your day with a little bit more ease. And we also hope that we've left you with some episodes that you can come back to in moments of need as well. I know from me it's been such a joy doing this and such a privilege. Really honored to have been in your ears every week, and also very honored to have done this with you.
Speaker 3: So don't you kind to make me cry? I feel the same. I feel so lucky to have been given this opportunity. You know, before I did this podcast, I'd never even been on a podcast before, and so to be given this opportunity to host a podcast with Mamma Maya and with someone like you, Michelle has been honestly insane. I also just really want to thank you the listeners. I have had so many dms from people telling me things that they've tried, that we've talked about, or sharing perspectives with me that I hadn't considered, and like opening my world up. I've learnt from you guys too, So I honestly feel like this was a very life changing experience. Man. I just want to thank you for letting us share this chapter together. And importantly, I wanted to thank the people behind the scenes. So Georgie, our insane producer, Sean, our incredible social media manager who's so talented, Leah who does all our audio, and Julian who does our video. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: And to the listeners, please feel free to reach out to SOF and I if you ever need. Our inboxes are open to you and yeah pumps.
Speaker 5: To end with this episode and thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm actually going to leave you with my favorite hack that I've been using throughout this whole podcast series, Michelle and the hack is to create yourself little power statements that help you. And so the power statement I've been using to keep me going is I'm scared, but I'm doing it anyway.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I love that. The best note to end on.
Speaker 3: We love you guys. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Mamma. Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on