Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast. Mom and Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. I am pregnanty.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Hello Bump.
Speaker 1: We're making pregnancy less overwhelming and more hopefully manageable. I'm gracery, very pregnant for the first time, and I definitely need to pee a lot more.
Speaker 3: I'm Iana Pittman and I'm thankfully not like that, although after six babies still have to pee fright regularly. I'm a former Olympian, I'm a mother of six, and I'm now training to be an arbeticitrician.
Speaker 1: Each episode, Deanna and I will be holding your hand week by week through the mysterious, perplexing and very nauseating miracle that is pregnancy.
Speaker 2: Week eight. What size is our baby?
Speaker 3: I've gone from a blueberry to a raspberry guys this.
Speaker 1: Week, more like a kidney bean or a baracca tablet boby or a small cockroach, one of those like Sydney ones that are in all the terrace houses.
Speaker 3: Fourteen to two So any millimeters?
Speaker 2: So is that a little bigger? We're a bit over a centimeter, yeah, almost two centimeters. That's my math and what is actually happening.
Speaker 3: Well, this week, their hands are getting little arm bud seat of making getting a bit longer, so we're getting a little bit more development in their limbs. This is one I think is amazing. Their reproductive organs are actually developing, so it's way too early to see what sex they are, so it's all to do with theirs is way beyond but I love this stuff. All to do that with their malaria and duck systems and WOLFI and ducks, which is basically the very early primitive genital organs that will eventually become male or female.
Speaker 1: I think this was the week that I walked around telling everyone that I was growing my child's clitterance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's correct. I was like, that's why I'm so tired.
Speaker 3: But you know, you're already, particularly if it's a little girl for anyone at home, you already have your grandchild inside you as well. She already will be starting to have her own usights, so her own eggs that will obviously then you know, throughout closer to twenty weeks actually have more actual robust development. But it's quite extraordinary to think that as a little woman inside you, she already has the potential to reproduce herself.
Speaker 2: Women's bodies are actually amazing. That's not what's happening to me.
Speaker 1: And what is happening to our bodies, well, your usurrus is now the size of a tennis ball, so it's getting bigger. Still can't feel it, though, because we have quite a robust bone, our pubic bone that sits in front of the uterus to protect these early pregnancies. But soon, within a couple of weeks, you'll start feeling like a little lump just above your pubic bone, which will be the growing pregnancy. Your morning sickness is now at its worst, so eight to nine weeks is really the peak of it. And you might even notice your gums are starting to bleed a little bit, so you brush your teeth. You've got pretty good dental hygiene, but for some reason you still end up spitting blood in the sink. My nausea got infinitely worse, and I was vomiting every single day at this point. And I did notice on my flow app to look out for bleeding gums. I didn't get bleeding gums. But why does it happen?
Speaker 3: Well, the bleeding comes again, just blood volume, So you're increasing more and more and more blood volume, more progesteronderneath you, and it's all getting quite crazy, and so they just leaky capillaries basically. So it's just you've got lots of extra blood circulating around your mouth. You might find you get a bit of a dry mouth, or you might over salivate, which is interesting. It's all again to do with the increase in blood volume and the hormones of pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Is this normal normal? The nausea is definitely getting worse, and I pretty much can't eat without vomiting first in the morning.
Speaker 2: Is there anything that can be.
Speaker 1: Done to stop the vomit before food?
Speaker 2: And do we know why it happens?
Speaker 1: Because so many when I google, there's often things that's like there's not enough.
Speaker 2: Research, or it's your hCG or what do we actually know about what's causing it?
Speaker 3: Pregnancy unfortunately, and the placenta, and we don't entirely know that. You need to rule out things at this point. So if you're a grossing movielance, yours is bad. Okay, So most women don't get it, thankfully, get it to your level. Yours are starting to border on a lot on what we call hyperremesis gravitam, which we'll go into that a little bit more. But if you are at this point, we need to rule out things like thirel disease, so there's other things in pregnancy that can actually cause you to have severe vomiting. Again, if you hadn't have your dating scent, twins do it, so you need to make sure we're only hurrying one BEBT. But if those things have been ruled out and it just is nausea and vomiting in pregnancy, which is what we call it at this point, before it's given the HG sort of logo or tag, it's time to start thinking about what you can do naturally. Now, I know we said last episode you don't like the ginger, so we'll leave that one, but give that sort of thing a go. Increasing your fibers small and frequent meals what you kind of suggested before. Some crackers and things like that can help. Then you need to start thinking, right, none of that stuff is working. I need to see a health professional, probably your GP at this point, and start thinking about things like what we call an antiemetic, so that is maxillon or in danzatron. There are two medications we know are really safe in pregnancy, which are anti nausea medication, we need to also be careful. There's a caveat there on Danztron makes you constempated, so the last thing you need is to be vomiting and constipated. Not a great combination, and you end up with hemrhoids as well, So no thank you. So if you're going to take one of these medications, you also need to take a laxative. So like movercole colosal. Coloxil's good, not center just the coloxal on its own, no center in pregnancy and.
Speaker 2: Reflux makes it worse.
Speaker 3: And lots of women with high premises or with vomiting a naisur in pregnancy need a PPI as well. So that is basically you know you're over the counter. Remy's great. Rennies are great, but sometimes you need something a little stronger, and we actually give you a mep resole, which is a medication, so it's a doctor prescribed medication that can help with the acid because if you're vomiting and vomiting vomnity, the acid just keeps coming right up eu esophagus triggers the vomiting all over again, and then you're through and through a cycle. So I think we're talking pretty severe here. It can even get to the point, and it's usually around thirteen or fourteen weeks when it's getting really severe that we can consider things like corticosteroids. So there are lots of things, lots of things that we can do to help you, but the bravery needs to be that you come forward about it. It is not just nauture and vomiting in pregnancy. It is okay. My own best friend she had such severe high premises and I am an obstetrician trainee, and she didn't tell me. She was so embarrassed that I'm not going to complain about this symptom. It's normal in pregnancy. I'm so lucky to be pregnant. Absolutely, No, that's not the way we can We we need to walk about this space. And I sat with this incredible women because we admit women. So if you're dropping weight, unable to eat food, oral or drink water, you actually need to go to ED and sometimes we leave it and admit you during this point to give you IV fluids and to give you IV maxillon, so to actually give you IV anti auto medication to try and just get you through this chapter. And I met this incredible woman who was sitting there. It was an IVF pregnancy, six rounds of IVF. She was beside herself and she just said, I so badly want a termination. And it was the voicing it that she broke down in tears and then horrified by the fact that she'd even suggested it. That's normal.
Speaker 1: It's so important to speak about this because it does go dark, because you're not feeling like yourself. Everything is so much harder. The way I describe it is actually like it makes me feel emotional thinking about it. Is you just every day it's like you just get through it and you go, oh, okay, I've done that day, thank God, and then you wake up and you just start it all over again and there's no reprieve and you're trying all of these different things. And I went to my GP and we talk about what the difference between hyperameseses. And obviously this was probably a bit too early because I wasn't vomiting more than three times, because I could hold down water, I didn't classify as being in hypperameses and people with hyperamesses can vomit up to twenty even more times.
Speaker 2: A day, which is horrific.
Speaker 1: So I wasn't that and I could hold down water, so they wouldn't prescribe any stronger medication for me. I got some of the sorry, the safe for I want B six.
Speaker 2: I got B six rest of it.
Speaker 1: Which you're going to sellamine, which you're going to talk about and what that actually does. But it was try rest of it one anti nausea medication. But the darkness is very real where I would have preferred a miscarriage at those at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's more common, and we need to acknowledge that. It doesn't mean you're not going to take those steps, although some women we actually advise to do so, to actually end the pregnancy because they are so unwell. Because if your electrolytes go completely bonkers, you get heart a rhythmeres and things. This is a serious condition that gets swept under the rug more often, not from you know, decades and decades of women's problems as being swept under the rug as normal. It's not normal, it's common, so we need to change the language around it's a common symptom in pregnancy. It's not a normal symptom of life, and no one you know, look at talk to cancer patients. We take their symptoms seriously because they have nausio and in vomiting associated to chemotherapy. But it's not the same in pregnancy. And it's also because it comes with a lump of pregnancy is not a disease, you know, it's a well woman's problem. And it's like, well, it's not a problem either. We've got to really change the language around this space because for the women that do suffer it, it is absolutely like yourself, debilitating and tear jerking and often stops people from trying for a second trial. But I think the thing with it is is that's why I wanted to talk to you about this in week eight. Like you know, most of the time we don't diagnose high premises till several months later, you know, twelve thirteen weeks, or when it's not going away at fifteen or sixteen weeks too late. So particularly if you decigrace to have a second pregnancy, we need you on these medications early. Now. I will never dish what another you know, gynocologist obstetrician or GP says, we use it don't laugh, ladies. A puke e score. This is what we use to diagnose high paramesis puke. It's p uq, not puke as in sorry to the end of ladies.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: But basically, it looks at how many times you vomit, how nauseous you are, how many hours of nausea you have a day, and how often you wretch. So even if you're not vomiting, you can score points in the nausea and the wretching. So I feel like if I went back and did your pink score, you would probably be hypermesses. And the other thing is that these medications are safe in pregnancy, so why not, Yeah, why not try and find some repeat for someone who's even if they're only vomiting twice a day. I don't know, but I actually would prefer to vomit then feel nauseous, because you get that least reprieve after having a vomit where you're like, oh god, I've got half an hour I'm not feeling nauseous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's but sometimes that half an hour is all you need to give you a break, a break from the waves.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and you took rest of it and then you do feel like it makes a difference the next day?
Speaker 1: Correct when you I can feel the difference if I haven't taken it, Because then I I got in my head about it because it's the rest of it is a sleeping aid and an anti estamine and a sleeping aid.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I shouldn't be taking this.
Speaker 1: So if I wasn't feeling like if my nausea was like a five out of ten instead of a nine out of ten, I was like, I probably don't need it. But then the next day I would notice the difference if I hadn't had.
Speaker 2: It exactly, So why not give it a go earlier?
Speaker 3: So the things we need is a PPI so you needed something for your reflux like on ameprozol. You need an anti medic, so your maxilloni on danceatron. I also want you to take a laxative, okay, and then vitamin B six. We call it pyrodoxceine, so it's got a medical name and I can never actually pronounce that right, and my boss has always laugh me. So it's p y R d O x I n E Okay, So if I pronounce it wrong, you can at least get it right from aout actual perspective and the rest of it, which is doxelamine. So we also sometimes do plus or minus and antihistamine so like primethazine. So there's lots of those things. All sounds are very zen.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's in words and medical terms. There's actually wonderful guidelines in this space. All hospitals have them. So it's just if you don't get the right answer from the current doctor, seek help. Okay, it's not got to be like this.
Speaker 1: My toolkit for this week is like I was a big gym person and I couldn't go to classes anymore because the mornings were always the worst for me. But I just switched to walks, and I guess any form of cardio is better than nothing.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing one hundred percent, even a little walk for twenty minutes a day out in the fresh air. Those smells out there are less smells out there. The endorphins and the adrenaline you get from it and a light walk is it's more about your emotions and your mood. Okay, it's not going to help you. Wait, and who cares in this point in pregnancy. You know I stressed about it, as you can imagine more than average because my job was to be an athlete. So when I couldn't train for the first few weeks of pregnancy, I lost the plot, thinking, Oh, that's the end of my career. I'm going to retire, I'm never going to get back. Just is not necessary to concern yourself with that. Pregnancy is a short time in life, and you can get back to full fitness several months after pregnancy. It's right now is not the time to be worrying about where where your heart health is. It's about your baby and your mental status.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, oh, I definitely needed to hear that, But we need to wrap this episode because I actually need to wait. Yes, we hope you and we read this episode of Hello Bump. We have so many episodes of this series filled with tips and stories from women and experts who've been through it all before.
Speaker 3: You can go back and listen to everything else Hello Bump related in this podcast.
Speaker 1: Feed, and while you're there, we'd love if you could give us a five star rating and maybe leave us a review or even share this episode with a friend.
Speaker 3: This episode was produced by Courtney Ammenhauser with audio production by Tom Lyon. We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 1: This episode of Hello Bump was made in partnership with Huggies.
Speaker 2: Bye Bye