Speaker 1: Welcome to the Seize the Yay podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives. They adore, the good, bad and ugly, The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your Yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned fu entrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bar. Seize the ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Hello, lovely yighborhood, Welcome back to Yeay's of our Lives. We have spontaneously started recording as normal and gone live on our Instagram and the Facebook page, which I neglect so badly.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, We've got one whole viewer on Really, how do you even see it? Says one viewer?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, is that me?
Speaker 2: Is it me?
Speaker 1: Because but our beautiful Facebook yighborhood have been joining. Everyone's joining. This is so lovely, Bim, how are you?
Speaker 2: I forgot my outfit? I've made a pact to you that wear a new item of garment every session.
Speaker 1: Whose Sunnys are they? I don't know this on the table, They're definitely Servo Sunny's.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm good. We just had a breakfast, a really fun breakfast this morning.
Speaker 1: So we had a lovely yay Field morning with one of our regular guests. Now, Doctor Brandy, who is the incredible doctor for the Matildas who are in Melbourne to play, was Pekistan tonight and she has I mean, if you guys have listened to part one and part two, we've also planned part three and four around the Olympics, which will be very exciting. Oh yes, but if you've listened to those episodes, you know she has no spare time. And I don't know how we got a breakfast with her, but we had the best morning.
Speaker 2: Yes, fin speaking of is anyone going to the game tonight?
Speaker 1: Anyone going? I feel like there are lots of Tilly's Fever is happening in Melbourne City. We were in the city this morning.
Speaker 2: Well, it sold out, like I went, I hadn't. Finally, I've watched every single game but not gotten a jersey because when during fever, it just sold out super quickly. And then I just like in the in the that meantime, didn't really need one. So I went to get one this morning, and probably like every other person that didn't have one, everyone was in the city getting the same thing, like dads, moms, kids, travelers. They had to sell it from behind the desk that Tilly's jerseys because they were just so popular. Again. Oh, it was like it's so great and it's sold out tonight.
Speaker 1: It's so wholesome, so it'd be really fun. I also feel like I did a post the other day I would not post, but a story about how, oh my god, Dr Brand Doctor Brandy has logged into.
Speaker 2: The chat and said I'm going.
Speaker 1: We thought you might be there, guys, we love her so much, And we were sitting at Hardware Society and there was this massive queue forming outside and we were like, this is definitely for doctor Brandy to sign.
Speaker 2: It actually was like we came out and like paparazzi. No, seriously, there was like a hundred of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then someone even came up to our table.
Speaker 2: Yeah anyway, so it was Nick, Nick from upstairs.
Speaker 1: Nick from upstairs, thanks for joining. We did already have one question is for the people who are listening at home later this is going to be so unhinged because we did not plan the structure of so many questions. But Foodie g asked what we had for breakfast, So we were at Hardware Society.
Speaker 2: Tell us a lot about a person, it.
Speaker 1: Does, but it's not your normal breakfast menu. So we went to Hardware Society, who were one of our very first stockers of Match a Maiden when we had the Match of Business. The most beautiful couple Diane Will who are Aussie's but moved to Paris and then brought the Parisian breakfasts back home to Australia and have had this cafe. It's like the longest standing hospitality institution in Melbourne and we took We went with Doctor Brandy this morning and had what do you learn Islam?
Speaker 2: Because Dr Brannie and Nigga having their own conversation in the chat chat, Nick said, long time listening my first time call. Dr Brannie just said voice saying.
Speaker 1: So the menu is very French, very gourmet, so delicious. What did you have?
Speaker 2: I had? Well, okay, so sometimes I do have breakfast on ordering anxiety because.
Speaker 1: Because spouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well no, because often I don't know what I want. And sometimes i'm really really basic breakfast eater, Like I used to be really like fancy brunches, but now I'm seriously like.
Speaker 1: When you had the green counter when you're a food blogger. Guys, do you remember when Andrew was a food blogger?
Speaker 2: Anyway? And and then so I ordered a very basic scrambled eggs on toast, which I thought was basic but was not what it was actually really delicious. Came with corn bread.
Speaker 1: The corn bread was really yummy.
Speaker 2: I have corn in the bread as well. Actually wait, there's corn in the corn bread. Stop And it was Yeah, it was actually really delicious. It came with two slices of tritza, which I didn't realize chirrizzo.
Speaker 1: What was it? Cherisozza?
Speaker 2: No, it surely is churizzo.
Speaker 1: Guys, First, this yea or that yea for the day is it cheriso or charrizzo? And also another question for this year or that yea is we're talking about this last night?
Speaker 2: Do you say, and it's just now having our own conversation. It's been great, guys, but I have to do some work because it's got a big game tonight.
Speaker 1: And also you spent five hours of this morning with us and signing and signing all believe how man for Chimney. So first, the CEO that this or that? Yea voting? Is it Cheriza or Chirizzo? Second, do you you say I Beeza or I Betha? And if you say I Beetha because you're cultured, do you say Bartholona or Barcelona? Because I think a lot of people say I Betha, but they say Barcelona, which is not consistent.
Speaker 2: It's I've only ever calledizzozzo.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, guys, vote vote now or hold on?
Speaker 2: Oh I agree with Sarah.
Speaker 1: Shanney agrees with me. Okay, Shanny, whatsfications do you bring to the table? Sarah is right, surely, thank you, Alice.
Speaker 2: Surely doesn't sound very promising.
Speaker 1: It's not the confidence we would like. Okay, hold on?
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 1: Good timing? Oh my god, we need to stop pausing.
Speaker 2: Great, I'm like it's so far away that I'm like trying to squinch. Okay, well, and the fourth question is how do you spell breki?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah? Is it b r e kk y b r e k k i e or b r e.
Speaker 2: A k y or b r e a k i e.
Speaker 1: So this week's this ya or that yeah is actually multiple truths.
Speaker 2: We should never have done this, We will.
Speaker 1: This, okay, So get your votes in for those this year that ye are questions. In the meantime, there's a question from the founder edit. We'd love to know how you have known a new life season is coming and what what to do to gain clarity on what that looks like. Great question, and I actually talk about this often when I'm not unhinged with you. It's about how you know when a new life chapter or a new Live season is coming, right, yes, yes, yes, And we talk about this often actually because both you and I have big, definable chapters in our lives and careers. But it is really hard to know when you're on the cusp of a new one. And I think it's when you start to get fidgety. It's when you start to get discomfort or too much comfort around what you're doing and start you and I get we call it itchy. Yeah, We'll start to and you'll know because one of us will plant the seat and go, so what do you think about? Like Andrew randomly be like, so what if I did like a PhD, I'm like, moved to Afghanistan. Like, you'll just suddenly be sure ideas and things that aren't related to what you're doing. And it doesn't necessarily mean that you want to do those things, but it's a sign that you're itchy to do something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the thing that you taught me was the sign that's the first sign of feeling that you might need to change, and the sign of when you should start actioning the change is if in two months time you still feel the same way.
Speaker 1: Yes, So we do that. We'll check in with each other and you'll go through phases where you'll go, I want to move states, or I want to move and start a whole new career, and then if you steal a talk to me about it a couple of months later, we'll no, it's time for a change. And if you aren't, then it was just like a phase where you had a week where it wasn't necessarily a big life change like a new season, but it was just a moment of agitation, but it is really hard to know. I'm also circling back to Sharni. You said what her qualifications about Chreizo. She's a dietician, so she wins.
Speaker 2: Shany but are you Spanish?
Speaker 1: Nico also said it's pronounced.
Speaker 2: We have just said a link to that.
Speaker 1: So in the show notes, which we keep saying, we'll put stuff in, and every week I forget to put things. I don't know show notes exist, so it's for me to say I'll put something in there later, which I never do. But there's this pronunciation channel on YouTube where it's just this guy pronounced doing proper formal pronunciation videos, but he says them completely wrong, and if you were not an English speaker, you would have no idea to me that it was like a total fath But so people like how to pronounce for heater? Until we go it all spelled, like the word for heater will be up on the screen. The all of the text in the video and the meta text and description is all about for heaters. And in this dead serious voice, he'll.
Speaker 2: Go fatty chatty daddy, jaddy daddy.
Speaker 1: Like you fast slow fast, Oh my god, it's so funny. Okay, oh, Shannie again. This is such wholesome content, all of life's big questions, right, well, right, we're just here for the joy as usual.
Speaker 2: Quite chaotic. But you didn't actually finish what you ordered for breakfast?
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't. Sorry, guys. This is why we don't go live normally, because we can't stick to an agenda anyway. And it's so on the table of content.
Speaker 2: So I had baked eggs.
Speaker 1: Which is a very traditional French dish, and it was, of course because I'm pregnant, I had to have the eggs hard potions that have soft in like what they call a cocotte, which is like the little sort of mini croc pot thing that they bake it in and then you eat it straight out of it. And I had like this beautiful aoli with like these big broad beans. It was this amazing delicious mix of pesto. And yeah, it was more fancy. I'm like, you wear a bit basic with our breakfast. Normally, I'm normally like AVO eggs, mushies or AVO eggs butter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like like not even dressing, just.
Speaker 1: No straight out yeah eggs breash. But we went fancy this morning and it was absolutely delicious and die and will do an amazing It was breakfast we did.
Speaker 2: Say in the car it was actually quite delicious. And doctor Brandie had a fla souflation in my life.
Speaker 1: Also, someone else said, I'm right, a quick google check of chorizo has my pronunciation is right, Thank you so much. And I'm but was it the guy for in the pronunciation channel? Guys, I'm just when they say what would he say? What would the guy the pronunciation channel say.
Speaker 2: Chap.
Speaker 1: There is a flaff floor.
Speaker 2: No, no, you can't even say the word and it just goes like ching chong. It's not what he would say.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've got one vote for Brecky, double k I e another vote for double k Y and Foot joined her own chat.
Speaker 2: Well because I need to see the questions so far.
Speaker 1: Away Okay, I can't read that one. Why didn't you? Can you manage to the questions.
Speaker 2: That's very great that you are not locked in by emotion and financial fear to move and change, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Amazing point coming back to sit we're really straddling serious and absolutely not trivial, and but I think we do get very locked in by emotion and not financial fear. So much as the financial implications of a big change, and I have definitely if you guys have been listening to the podcast for a while, you will have heard me evolve from very much feel the fear and do it anyway and take a leap and what's the worst that could happen to Absolutely still don't be controlled by fear and self doubt, but still make decisions within the parameters of your financial obligations. Because at the time when I left law and started match Mate and I had no kids, no dependents, no mortgage, I was early in my career, I had good savings, I had a partner who had a stable job. Like, those considerations all matter, and the reality is everyone has bills to pay and financial obligations that form the matrix in which you make decisions and decide to take risks. So definitely I've changed from rip the band aid and lean into the fear. I still would say that, but I would say in the timing that suits all the other things that you have going on in your life, because your risk matrix is going to be very different to someone else's. And we will at length sit and work through not just the physical implications of a decision or a life change together, But will mind map out what does that mean for your money? What does that mean for your bills? What does that mean for like the stress that you might put on like the next you know, will it cripple you so much financially that you can't enjoy the change or I think that comes into our decision making a lot, even though we don't talk about it, maybe as.
Speaker 2: Much we do with each other. Yeah, we do with each other significantly because I feel like we're in a constant state of I know you said at once in that we our greatest burden is feeling like we can do we can do everything, because then we do feel like we can do everything, and then we have this constant thing of like, Okay, can we do something now that's not what we're doing currently. Even then what we're currently doing is so great. But Yeah, we both of us chat a lot about like we go quite deep in the financial side of now because you've got a mortgage, I do, You've also and you're now also starting a family that what implications a career change or something may because but it's never been a barrier. Is something that we've held each other true too, because I remember last time when I was like, should go for this job? It's the salary? Is this weich is significantly more? And you were like, I just never knew you as someone to care about to be driven by money. And I was like, yeah, it's good. That was a nice wake up cal I was like, yeah, you're beyond the salary. What of this job do you actually want to do? And I was like, well, it's mainly the salary, and you're like, well, I feel like you can make that salary in a way that you in ways that you want to. I supposed to feel like you need to like go into this justice, this like corporate and change your whole life for this one job. So many considerations, but I think we also both know we're in a really privileged position from a financial standpoint. Yeah, like we're not like so so rich, but we're also like we are in we're privileged.
Speaker 1: And we don't have five children and big commitments that make it hard. But it's interesting that even though you, of course we still talked about the salary when you had that opportunity and what it could allow you, and we weren't sort of flippant about the monetary gain you could get. It was just that I've never known you to put that first, you like, in your pros and cons list. The salary was like the first thing, and all the other things like learning, development, interest fulfillment well later. And it was unusual because that's not usually how you make decisions.
Speaker 2: And then it didn't eventuate for that reason.
Speaker 1: Pretty much, Yeah, and I think, yeah, I think it's it's definitely a big consideration, but we just keep ourselves in line of like where should it sit in all the different things that you think about. We had another question that was similar about life changes. So Rosie said, I have a big change coming, which guys, is so weird. It's I'm thirty five weeks pregnant. Like, thirty five weeks.
Speaker 2: Doesn't look at what well you can see from me, but I do.
Speaker 1: I keep bumping into that.
Speaker 2: Average day.
Speaker 1: But what's something you're both really excited for this year outside of work? Great question, And it's really probably really hard for me to separate that from the pregnancy, even though I don't want to like that to be my entire personality. But I think my biggest excitement is that we're starting a family and we get to meet our little boy. And a couple of days ago we had our We not only had the most beautiful baby shower, but two days later we also had our last morphology scan, which is the three D one where you get a full tour of all their measurements and everything, but you see the three D version of their face. And we've only seen one of them like maybe a month ago or maybe six weeks ago, and you could see quite a lot of his features. But now he's like a fully baked child. And you could see him sucking the back of his hand with his little nose, and it was so clear the detail, and I was just like, that's my son. Come to meet him.
Speaker 2: He's like a real human. He looks like me.
Speaker 1: He has Andrew's nose, he has my nose.
Speaker 2: So now we're like, are we the first same sex couple to have by osmosis biosmosis have a child?
Speaker 1: Like literally, I was like, that's Andrew's nose.
Speaker 2: Who knows who? Maybe you've got to believe you've got a map.
Speaker 1: But it was so surreal to be like, especially as you guys know, we had a pregnancy lost early last year. It's so strange to be at the stage now where it's he would survive outside the womb if he arrived. Now, like we're in a quite a safe It wouldn't be ideal, but like we're in quite as safe zonned so to be so close to actually getting to meet him and experience parenthood, Like my biggest excitement for something outside of work is the journey of motherhood and how much how little I have any certainty around what they could possibly like, the emotions I have now, I can't even imagine when he actually arrives what that will feel like.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like your pointnance is also my this year excitement, which is but so Sarah is d like early April, and my high school best friend is due first week of May, so within four weeks. So I have two newborns in my life, neither of rich of mine, but both of.
Speaker 1: Which which could be osmosis.
Speaker 2: So I've got two newborns, which is so exciting. My sister's wedding is going to be in Vietnam in like three weeks. Gone to tulip season again, which is really fun for work. Then me and my partner going to Ularu. So we just really banked up the trouble this year. But I do think that I know you and Sarah has been like, oh with the baby nothing because we you just were like should we do a baby's business or brand or something, and you have now been like no, I think I'm happy to just let it be and whatever comes comes, which is kind of a dangerous thing for you though, because I feel like the more time you get to not focus on a goal, like, the more creative you get, and then it's like boom, here's the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the minute I'm like, I don't want to go. So I truly think there's one I truly think you have.
Speaker 2: The baby and then it be oh, this is an idea and then it come to life pretty quickly. But also it's very hard with you though, because last year you wouldn't or two years ago you wouldn't be like, oh, I'm presenting I'm doing radio on Sundays now with Hou's well, I'm going to be on teeth like you just I just never know what's going to come up with you, and it's never what I would have thought or imagined.
Speaker 1: So it's very.
Speaker 2: Hard, like for why, I know you could be a mid midwife next year.
Speaker 1: Although so one of my fidgety things was I think I just want to go back and study medicine. Yeah, what do you mean, You're just feel like I've missed like science, like.
Speaker 2: The science that you never did cause Davidson and I think that was the ghost.
Speaker 1: Oh it was the ghost. Never mind. Yeah, I do my FIDGITI thing a couple of years ago was I was missing study because I get to flex my creative muscles so much now, but in leaving my legal career, that like intense academic mental stimulation was like a jigsaw puzzle piece that I was missing for a little while. And yeah, I really thought that I wanted to do medicine, but not to become a doctor, just for the study. And you were like, you are cooked.
Speaker 2: So you've probably be really think about that.
Speaker 1: Then I thought it would be my Matt Leaf projects, and now I'm like, oh, that's kind of now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like Yanni Pittman.
Speaker 1: I know, another one of our favorite high achieving does amazing random chapters that come out of nowhere. But it is also really interesting that every time, like you said, my big changes often come when I've stopped thinking, like, I don't plan them, I don't sit. I like to make tangible goals, but I also like to stay really open to what a tangible goal that might come into my sort of pervy by accident. And it's always when I've taken a holiday or take the foot off the brakes for work a little bit, to have a baby. I feel like I will be surprised that ideas will be free flowing just when I've decided not to have them, If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be very on brand for you to have that happen and have it turn around very quickly.
Speaker 1: Someone asked a little while ago, Helena or Helena, you two are so joyful. What is something completely random that brings you joy? So we were telling doctor Brandy about this this morning, that one of them is spontaneity and doing things we've never done before.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we're all very random, and we I feel like it's really easy to get to a point in life or in age or whatever where you're like we're past that now, Like we don't do that anymore. We don't have time. But we really prioritize if if I say this here, you need to book out this day. There's no questions asked. Usually it's a round a birthday period. But because we don't do it often we're like, Okay, I'll block it out and then like Sarah will block out the whole day. I'll be liked, there needs to be a half day or whatever. And how we normally the only thing you know is like apparel. Yeah, the only thing you allowed to know is apparel. And then the rest is like the trans even like everything's organized, like I'll pick you up and the rest will be whatever comes that day you just have to do. Yeah. So yeah, we're reminiscing on all the random things that we've done. But it does bring like because it's like, so last year we went tough thing, I still haven't picked it up. By the way. Then we've done surrummings, we've done adult gymnastics. Mum's calling.
Speaker 1: Sorry guys, that was Mama Holloway just calling me, and I forgot to put my phone on. Do not just a rookie? Oh I love her.
Speaker 2: I think that brings us joy and also for you also, I think we've got two questions in two comments.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Facebook, how do I see the Facebook? Oh my god, I'm so inadequate in this situation.
Speaker 2: The other thing I realized for you brings you joy is Nick and said, I do this crazy thing where instead of just scrolling TikTok the YouTube, they YouTube search every night like TikTok compilations of funny videos and they watch that for like an hour and they just.
Speaker 1: Laugh, laugh, just for joy. And like we also do this thing called curate where Nick will curate or through the day his favorite memes that he thinks and he'll put them in order as well of what he thinks would make me laugh at the end of the day, and then I'm not allowed to watch them during the day. I have to watch them like with him, so he can witness my joy through and it's actually so cute. At the end of every day there's like a little curated feed for me. But yeah, I think both those are really nice because they're so pointless to our you know, careers or development and like you know, everyone's like you need to get off your devices and not scroll so much, and it's like, yeah, but it's all for joy, and it's all really light hearted and wholesome. And with our activities together, what I love is that like you don't ever have to do that activity again. And it's really hard for people who are very motivated and driven to do an activity and not try and be really good at it, Like we're like when we did gymnastics for that time, we wanted to like really excel and become Like it's hard for us to not try and make it a career or a business. But because we allow ourselves to be just newbies and not necessarily we never even need to go back. Like if you don't like ceramics, you never have to go again. But how do you know if you like it or not unless you go once? Yeah, And it's so like it's very cliche, eat, pray, Love, but we kind of have committed, Like on the show we talk about playta and like be you know, never let that child like sense of joy and want to go. But we then make ourselves stay accountable to it by booking in really childlike or not childlike, but like activities that are just for fun, like yeah, ceramics and like we've got a ring making class, Like we're never going to become silversmiths, but like we just think it's really fun to just try stuff, and.
Speaker 2: We don't do it as a means of like we don't it's all we put in our calendar and say we need to be spontaneous today or like it just happens. We're both you know how you have that friend where you're like can get them to do anything, they'll just do it. It's kind of like that where we if we say each other, if we ever request for each other to block out a whole day, it's not it's worth it often so it's never like we'd waste each other's time or in any way. But yeah, we've had some funny as things. Yeah, I had one plan for you by we never want to do it, but you want me to tell you now or not.
Speaker 1: No, don't tell me because there's still a chance we could do it. So, like the only restriction recently was like this birthday and this Christmas, I was pregnant, so we couldn't like we physically weren't allowed to do because we do a mix of like tactile arts and crafts things, but then physical activities as well, like gymnastics, and I can't.
Speaker 2: Do a lot of them. Yeah, the physical.
Speaker 1: Suddenly and was like we're very limited this year incredibly because.
Speaker 2: There's nothing else. Well, if anyone has any suggestions, we've kind of run out of all the things that we possibly could do from a like we've we've even't gone felting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did dry felting for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Cut what Elena said? What or Helen? I sorry and said what Dr Brandy said is trapeze peace.
Speaker 1: See I would definitely not be like right now.
Speaker 2: But after after the Brandy had said that as well, when we said that we did we had done gymnastics. Okay, that's a good one on the list.
Speaker 1: We should do a seize the a when we go back to doing neighborhood events, we should do a gymnastic session profile. So we started once as one of the surprise birthday events was and organized with like an actual gymnast who's an athlete, competitive athlete to run us through and let us literally use proper gymnt like Olympic gymnastics, double like parallel bars, uneven bars like proper equipment, and teachers how to backflip and stuff. And then we just loved it so much that Nick engine I kept going back like this weekly until COVID, which is when we stopped.
Speaker 2: We had like a prime we had paid for.
Speaker 1: Private lessons and each was so much fun, really fun because you don't ever throw your body around that like that.
Speaker 2: And it's safe. It's so safe there, but it's also like these we had to use the the whore thing and the ring.
Speaker 1: I just think we should get that video footage back out because it's so often because it's so bad.
Speaker 2: I'm so it's so bad, and you're so like you're sporty whatever whatever, and I was like, yeah, but I'm like, my legs don't move very far away from each other, Like what do you mean They're not flexible.
Speaker 1: Like like like they don't like you can't separate your feet in the split.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like so I couldn't do a lot of like getting my legs over the uneven bars.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Yeah. So it was really interesting because Nick and and I all have really different strengths physically, and so like we'd all just nail certain activities and the other two would just be the one definitely got competitive you and Nick got real intent.
Speaker 2: No, then I just surrendered to the fact that I was never going to win this game.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that was so much fun. So there's some random things that bring us joy.
Speaker 2: Well, can I listen the things that we have done, because I do need public support or help in finding the next activity because I'm really stuck as your birthday is coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I also can't do any act.
Speaker 2: That's why we need the masses to help brains. So we've done paint and sip, ceramics. We've won paintings in a lot, ceramics, tufting, felting, gymnastics, Yeah, metal work, you've booked in ring making.
Speaker 1: Other years.
Speaker 2: What else we've done. We're doing a lot of manicuring.
Speaker 1: That's oh, yes, so many manicures.
Speaker 2: We've done that. We've had a couple's massag.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well we chatted them. We did a couple's massage.
Speaker 2: We've done a few of them.
Speaker 1: Remember we did them like quite regularly, and then they were the cheeks were like can you stop chatting? Because just talking the entire time everything. So we've done heaps of nail sessions where they don't know that you're Vietnamese, and they've happened to be at Vietnamese salon's where they talk about us, and then at the end you're like, hi, I think they're like, we haven't done a cooking class.
Speaker 2: We haven't done cooking. I didn't think about that too. We went to the tennis, done tennis.
Speaker 1: We did tennis. We've been to have we been to the MSO together.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, and we've done Candle Light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did Candlelight concerts.
Speaker 2: Concerts we did. We have done MSO.
Speaker 1: We went Harry Potter and we did MSO. When the Melbourn Symphony Orchestra does these incredible, incredible performances where a live orchestra plays the entire score of a movie. And it's even if you're not like, we're both really nerdy musos. At our school we both played in like orchestra and all the bands and like play multiple instruments and love it, and so we froth like orchestras. But Nick is not a big orchestra person, and he's we've started getting him to go to them like Star Wars Indiana Jones, And it's magical to just see a live orchestra play the score, not just the score, but all the sound effects in a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really cool.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So if anyone has any ideas of where I could take store for a birthday.
Speaker 1: They privately see them because I can see your suggestions, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or put it in whatever she can know. I'll make the final call on where we go. Oh, we've even gone swimming with the Seals. Oh my, we've done so much.
Speaker 1: We went to Sorrento. We went swimming with the Seals. I had a bowel event. Yeah, that was stressful on the way and we had to stop and we were late, and then we nearly didn't make it to the boat and it was just like but I.
Speaker 2: Said, I'm coming with spoonful of starah. They're like, oh, hold the boat whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, swing with the Seals was amazing. We took you to that weird airbnb, the Forest and the Stars, one Forest in the heavens. It's really good done.
Speaker 2: Oh we've done unyoked that like little Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did a tiny house.
Speaker 2: Tiny house. We've done a lot.
Speaker 1: Of vacations island. What instruments did you play? So I played.
Speaker 2: Wait wait before wait, before we answer, what instrument does sah look like she would have played?
Speaker 1: So I only so I learned one like officially two, I learned two officially. Actually I learned three officially, and then I self taught a few others and by self taught. Your sister taught me them.
Speaker 2: Well, the guitar, the drum, the one drum beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, so I officially did piano.
Speaker 2: Someone said you look like a violinist.
Speaker 1: People say that, but I never did violin I never did strings. So I did piano. That's very flute.
Speaker 2: Of you, very Asian of you.
Speaker 1: Flute. No, but this is my white parents.
Speaker 2: So pianoedg tuba. That's amazing. So and me's like.
Speaker 1: Edge the triangle. I RECOGNI I'd pick you for a triangle player.
Speaker 2: I would say I would pick you as a violinist, like one of those like at the front, like but first violinists, like at the front the solo.
Speaker 1: I never did strings. I did piano. This is one will surprise you. Piano classes, flute in hei in primary school and then in high school drums, trumpet. Do you remember Gone Troll?
Speaker 2: Yes, because that because I was in.
Speaker 1: The brass ensemble. Okay, well i've only but I also learned drums drums, and I did, and I was in chamber voices, so I did singing.
Speaker 2: Oh, chamber of voices. See, that's why she should be a violinist. I had only learned one formally, and as all high chambers do, trumpet. But did you have gone Trol? Yeah?
Speaker 1: We both had the same hectic Russian. But he was the best teacher. It was so funny, and he no, he just gave up with me that.
Speaker 2: He was like saying, well, I could like own the only sheet music I could ever ever read was just trumpet music. If you ask me to trumpet music, still can't like just so and then, But if you tried to give me the same, hidna, If you tried to give me the same, it's music, Dana. Oh sorry, Dana. If you gave me the same sheet music that was like piano, you can compute it. I think I only mashed it with the positions. That's the only way I could like read it anyway.
Speaker 1: So I hired did you own a trumpet or did you use one of the schools? I used the schools, but by the end, just have it, okay, So I used the schools as well. You probably use mine. But he knew because I stored it at the school how often that I didn't take it home because he's like, it was in the cover. It's like if you've done all your scales and stuff. And I was like yep, and he's like, well, how because your trumpet was here for like two months.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, I was so bad. Trumpet was the only thing that could work with me because it's like you can only feel one note at a time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then like my note would be allocated in the like sheet music, and I would pretend that I was playing it, and then like he couldn't hear it. So he's like, Sarah, Yeah, that's why I don't know what I was.
Speaker 2: That's why I played No. I played third trumpet for a week.
Speaker 1: I was like, so it was they were like five and I was like six. It was like the voluntary Everyone was like just crotch it.
Speaker 2: So it's like spur. I haven't heard the word crotch it. Crotch it in so long. Yeah, semi quavers. But you self taught guitar as well. Yeah, I'm probably more proficient at guitar than they're really good at guitar trumpet, I am.
Speaker 1: My best instrument is probably piano. Like, but I can't read cheat music. So I can listen to a song and play it, yeah, but I can't read it and play it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, Yeah, piano has my brain. I think Mum tried to get us in early and as disgraceful Vietnamese daughter as we did, and we weren't very good. Although Katherine is very actually much more innately musical than we are, but at the same time we are. I feel like I feel like we're called a musical family.
Speaker 1: So people who still to this day ask how we know each other just a little recap, even though I feel like we need a business card or our points. So I was really close with and his elder sister. We were in the same year at high school, so we were really really close and hiding and as Catherine's youngest sister, and like literally since you were a baby, I've known who you were because of Catherine, and knew your family and your parents and everything. And anyway, Catherine and I were in a band a school and.
Speaker 2: We used to fly.
Speaker 1: We used to put on concerts like full had amps and everything set up with like electric guitars. Like we would put on a full concert of.
Speaker 2: The Undercroft at the Undercroft No in the hall, Oh my god, how obnoxious.
Speaker 1: And we'd get like the full tech guy to like do the curtains and the lights and we played the ronicas like we came out and like everyone would come and there was like a mosh pit. And it was an all girls school, so it was even weirder that we were just like, well, came baby, we.
Speaker 2: Can live, but you were the singer. I was the drummer and the drummer for a song.
Speaker 1: M and then I got kicked out.
Speaker 2: We don't speak about that.
Speaker 1: And then I didn't speak to.
Speaker 2: Until she was like, still an elephant in the room.
Speaker 1: My sister wants wants to get into business. Can can we surprise you? And then we surprised Ange and then and then I was like, oh, I like this sister better. No, I didn't say that.
Speaker 2: Because I never kicked her out of a band yet. Dana, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Also shout out to Dana and Hann who both have said hello and are both longtime yighborhood members, very active who we love. Dana has a question, is there anything you two can't do aside from playing the trump record an episode that isn't totally I actually went off topic.
Speaker 2: I was really good at the recorder.
Speaker 1: Has anyone seen Andre's recorder content? And I'm so glad you don't have one because you would have done a demonstration there are actually so I think one of the reasons why we're both quite similar is because we'll always give something a red hot crack, so it often looks like we can do a lot of different things we can't. We just are happy to try them once or twice and be like very mediocre at them. But it looks like we're always doing lots of activities. We just like we'll play at tennis rally one day because we're on a holiday together on the tennis court, but like none of us are great at time. Yes, we'll just do it because it's fun. And then we'll like play mini golf because there's golf that like, We'll always try things. I feel we could at those things.
Speaker 2: I feel like I think about this a lot because I'm like, I do feel like I can do most things at this at the level that you were talking about, like like trades beginner or even like just average. But there's nothing that I like, I'm really good at.
Speaker 1: I disagree. No, I's plenty you're really good.
Speaker 2: No, there's not, because and there's nothing that I'm like an elite level at that I would like.
Speaker 1: Is it anything? But would you say that you're actually bad at pilates?
Speaker 2: On rule about it? It's hard to think on the spot. Yeah, there's a say for me when I first started, but then I had to really all The other thing is I feel like, I'm quite I love learning makeup.
Speaker 1: You're bad at makeup?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm very bad at makeup, not.
Speaker 1: Very bad, You're getting better.
Speaker 2: No, I still didn't know where to put the eyeliner and then yeah, it was like, why are you putting your eyeliner? Then I was like, don't you put a top end bottom? No, you do.
Speaker 1: You just were using a pencil that wasn't for your eyes gothic. I was like, oh, you're getting better at that, but yeah, that's not one of But with you.
Speaker 2: Though, I'm like, yeah, you can also do many things. But your greatest strength that you are like above average at is one learning languages and two. I know it's hard to measure, but like the skill like you're presenting skills is so oh no, but you're so like you never trained to do that, and you do it at a level that a lot of people trained to do it.
Speaker 1: That's really lovely. But my first career was as a lawyer, so like, incidentally, like I didn't do training, but you kind of train in the art of presenting when you're going to be in court. So I kind of started in an industry where that's part of it. But one thing I'm really really bad at a few things, but they all the same theme is estimation of how long I'm going to take to get somewhere, how many people are in a room, how long ago something happened, and whether on the angel was there or born at the time.
Speaker 2: I love the things that were batter are just like tiny little characteristics every day activity.
Speaker 1: I use that every day I have to say, oh, yeah, the mum will be like, oh that's lovely. How many people on the baby shaw I'm like nine hundred.
Speaker 2: My partner was I'm a bad driver, but I'm like just slightly a bit more resticky. I think you're a little reckless and little risk taking.
Speaker 1: Also, when I met you, you had a car, but you drove once a year, so it was more just like we were like nervous and I d drove that much.
Speaker 2: Because I drive like I'm cycling, which is a very different.
Speaker 1: And you touch drive because your car you don't care about it. You're like, oh, just just oh whoops, are touched. We got on the freeway, I don't remember, I mean were like you just kept going and you just tapped the gun in front of you and you're like, oh, what we're going? I think we're going to five acres actually, and yeah, and you just kept driving like really slowly, but you just didn't stop, and then you just touched the car in front of you and you're like, oh whatever.
Speaker 2: I think he knew the French in me. So on the back of this said is it anything that you thought you'd be a champ at but was a major flop? Yes, gymnastics really I actually thought. I was like I have the strength and mobility and I got there. It was very We do have to share the gymnastics video video again. Yeah, there's this amazing video of us trying to learn the pommel horse thing, and to learn it you have to put your foot in a bucket that's attached to a string and then you kind of try to swing the bucket around while you're holding onto the horse. Yeah. And I think when I went second or something and Phil was like showing us and I was like, oh, that makes sense, Like that's the progression into the spot I went in. I couldn't even like I actually couldn't move, and so there's this bit of him pulling me around because I couldn't and Sarah goes on and like, does it like three rounds by herself. And I was surprised me though, But that's what I mean. I thought I was gonna be a lot better, but I was actually just yeah, like literally a flop. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh. One thing I really am not good at is bike riding. We've already covered this in a few episodes, but I'm really not and for someone who's like quite coordinated, not good at it. But the reverse something I shouldn't be good at but I am accidentally good at with no practice is golf.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, old thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not like amazing at like height, but it'll just go in the direction I want it to go, even if it's like on the floor. Nick is just like how the fuck? Like he practices all the time, and then I'll just randomly play sometimes and I'm just like, oh, it went where I wanted, And He's like, how did you do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a genetic good at golf.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The other thing I've realized is diving into a pool.
Speaker 1: You're not good at, no, not great.
Speaker 2: It's quite a literal flop. No I need so I think I leak so I'll show you content.
Speaker 1: So I thought I looked like this, Yeah, like Mermaid.
Speaker 2: And at footy like camp thing this jump in and putlans from as fast for good, and I thought I was like really being the most efficient dimer. And the videos like this sh like I just gravity just takes me down as a flat surface.
Speaker 1: Oh that's really cute. Someone said, Lena said, wait until bear is born, your new timeline will be based on how old they are. I've been doing that for the past ten weeks. Yeah, except that I will be like, remember when the baby was like five, and it'll be a memory from like twenty five years ago. Like, I'll be so bad it's just impossible. Oh that's a belly flop.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I thought I was really elegant.
Speaker 1: No, not elegant. And also, what's the bim your swimming cap and all your hair is out the side?
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing. Another. Wow, none of you are none of you are graceful at all. That's so that's my answer to that.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take one more question because my pelvis is starting to get to its part where it doesn't want to sit anymore. This is also from Lena. What's on the top of your bucket list?
Speaker 2: Great question.
Speaker 1: You know what's really interesting about both of us that we don't really have a long bucket list because we get very impatient to do the things on it, so we kind of do them like we're very I think one thing that we continue to bring out in each other, which is healthy and Nick is the same is don't wait until you know a lot of people like I'll be happy when, or I'll do this thing I've always wanted to do when like once I've been successful, or once I've ticked off all these other things. We're kind of more like, just do it, like go to Antarctica.
Speaker 2: Which is very lucky for us to be able to say and do. I realized because I was like, yeah, the freedom of trouble for us is a real it's hard for others.
Speaker 1: But I think having said that, we also reallocate a lot of resources around, like we prioritize those things over other things, like.
Speaker 2: I don't drink, Like growing all of my twenties was really revolved around travel. I never I never really had the club scene, I never like drank, and like I was really all about travel, which I have loved. But I'd say the first thing that comes to mind, and the only thing right now is I've always wanted to go on like an awesome like semi off grid road trip around like Iceland, like north and like Scandinavia side. Yeah, not like I didn't I wouldn't even have to see the Northern lights per se, but someding that region, because the last time I did something like that was when I went to Jordan and we were just the middle of the desert and it was this vastness that you're so small in this big world type feeling that I was like, and we slept under the stars, not even intense with six randoms I met the day before when we saw seven shooting stars like that kind of that kind.
Speaker 1: Of feeling you feel like significant when nature makes you feel insignificant is one of my favorite fields.
Speaker 2: But I do feel like I need to be out of Australia to truly feel like away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like and except you haven't done like deep northern territory no no no, So it does also feel that yeah yeaeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's the only thing that's really like really bucket list feeling. The rest of your like major goals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even I think I'm also very lucky that a lot of the things that have been on my bucket list, say through my twenties, I was so fortunate to be able to work them into things we did in our thirties. Yeah, so I mean one was Antarctica and I actually got to go, which was just absolutely mind blowing, and like to take Nick back to Korea and to like and also like my rather than big, huge goals, my like things I care most about are actually day to day goals, like spend lots of time during the week with my mom, Like they're like my favorite things. They make me so happy. So I don't like my attachment isn't as far into the future. I mean there are things I still would love to do in my lifetime, Like I would love to see the Northern Lights. I'd love to do Nick did a road trip with his family, like they pulled him out of primary school. Oh and didn't road trip in a caravan around Australia, and he's still got such strong memories of that. So that's something I would love to do with our kids, is take them around all the places that most Australians don't sort of bother doing that kind of domestic travel, but you know, like going up the East Coast and the Dane Tree and like, you know, I feel like something like that is probably it's something I like to do. A Luru was on there and I got to do that recently, Like Egypt was one and I got to do that. So there's nothing that's really calling me right now. My bucket list things are more like have a sign and it's been done with him, which.
Speaker 2: Is really lovely. And these are just shamans try out w a see the wilderness or northern territory both actually really want to do. And someone had also said Iceland is really I've heard really awesome things about how like mountainous Iceland is so like for that reason, I've always wanted to go. But yes, we you your crampy plus plus and we've had some such nice questions. This was really fun to our Facebook people that we neglected because we just couldn't figure out how to answer zero viewers twos.
Speaker 1: Oh, so was it you and I going? How do we do we do this?
Speaker 2: Anyway, if anyone does have questions in the future, though, we always love answering them. Yeah, so send them through as you do.
Speaker 1: We obviously don't hold back on our answers. I feel like people are very polite. We would answer much worse, more invasive questions, and people are so polite.
Speaker 2: They are way too polite. Every time we say it's an open book and try to emphasize the open book, everyone's like, so, why did you switch jobs?
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like, guys, I'm about to literally squeeze hum in my vagina and I would have answered anything about that, but like, people are so polite. It's so nice.
Speaker 2: Thanks to the founder edit for joining and everyone else as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Girdh and Sarah.
Speaker 2: My mum loved your book. That's oh, I.
Speaker 1: Haven't read it yet.
Speaker 2: I know you've still only read how much seventy I've read that one page? Read on your bucket list? To finish, to finish on your bucket listen not on.
Speaker 1: I Oh, you know what's on my bucke list? To write a children's book? That talking about that for a long time. Yeah about Paul. I think our little girl.
Speaker 2: That will be super cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, we'll cut ourselves off right now. And I feel like maybe we should do this again because it's really fun every fortnight.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, yeah, actually we should. We can't commit to anything regular regularly. Do you know what I I remember the other day.
Speaker 1: Remember I was going to do a historical Yays of All Lives, Yeah, I remember, and I still want to do it because I'm like the guests who I would love to you know how.
Speaker 2: Cecilia's like, bye, stop talking.
Speaker 1: It's like we've said we are John Farnham. We say goodbye and do our farewell tour like eighty five times, so we we're going to do this segment. And I still actually really want to do it because sometimes the timing with actual guests doesn't line up, and I wanted to alternate like Yays of Our Lives guests yeas of Ollive's guest and for those times where you couldn't get someone. People always ask that dinner party question, who alive or dead would you invite to a dinner party if you could have dinner with anyone? And I was like, I want to do like who could would you interview in the past if you could do a historical episode with anyone? Because there are so many people's stories who aren't around, but who are so inspiring and so interesting that we I wanted to do like a historical like let's look at Mari Curriy and what she did for her yay, and like Jonavan.
Speaker 2: The pronunciation is Marie Claire Champann Fatty Jenny.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I still think I want to do that at some point, but that was like two years ago when I first had the idea, and I sil haven't done it, so sorry, guys, well.
Speaker 2: We can still do it. We can still do.
Speaker 1: It, and like even like Princess Die, like people's stories, who you know. When we have really well known guests on, my favorite thing is speaking about all the things they don't normally get interviewed about. It would be the same for historical guests, stuff you don't read as much about, although obviously they can't answer.
Speaker 2: Well now that you've said it to the public, I think it's a it's a go to.
Speaker 1: The grand public of like the five people who have stayed because we said goodbye like eight hours and the zero viewers still said bye. Guys, have an amazing day.
Speaker 2: Bye,