Speaker 1: Welcome to the Seize the Ya podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives They adore, the good, bad and ugly, the best and worst day will bear all the facets of Seizing your Yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned fu entrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bar. Sez the Ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Hello, lovely neighborhood, Welcome to our final episode of yeas of our lives for the year. Oh my gosh, welcome back and foot Thanks.
Speaker 2: I actually just didn't realize it just until then. That's the last of the year.
Speaker 1: I mean, we did just spend all day doing the schedule we did.
Speaker 2: I feel like it just I can't live Christmas next week for.
Speaker 1: What so also what's hilarious is I just sent out like our second dim for the year. I've done two newsletters this year, maybe maybe three, but I think two'd be like.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year. Anyway, it's a happy end of year. Thank you first, happy.
Speaker 1: The end of financial year and end of your happy.
Speaker 2: Love feeling a part of the community, and I thank you all for contributing.
Speaker 1: Max value add But one of the things I said in it was, of course, thank you so much for another incredible year. I can't believe we're still here, with this beautiful gyghborhood, still growing, still doing amazing things. Of course, as you guys know, twenty twenty two was a bit of a rollercoaster. Lots of ya's, lots of na's, and compared to sort of our big goals planning session at the start of this year, there's a lot of things we didn't get to do. There's a lot of things we didn't even dream of doing that we also did get to do. So it's been like, yeah, lots of highs, lots of flowers. But a foote is now back on board and has left her job, so we will be much more structured. We just had a big planning session, and there's so much coming away, So I promise we will stop saying we promise we'll do things and not doing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just realized, why are we not doing reflections of the year? Are we doing questions about a frump?
Speaker 1: Because we started asking people for your anonymous Q and A like eight months ago when I sent my first newsletter, and now I'm like, I should probably do it because there's some really interesting questions. So you know, one of my favorite games ever is like Q and A but like would you rather kind of vibe and you know, it's typically called like twenty questions with Ange. Today we have like seventy two thousand questions with Ange because you had more questions submitted a recon than I did for my episode.
Speaker 2: Although we did go three around.
Speaker 1: We were like, okay the next episode.
Speaker 2: People the end of it were like, does she even get any questions?
Speaker 1: This is why they're askewer. They're just no one submitting anything. So we have so many questions. I don't even know how we're going to get these done. It might end up being a two parter. Who even knows.
Speaker 2: There's no way this will be a too far.
Speaker 1: This is like an essay like an actual essay. Anyway, there's so much juice, there's so many interesting things that have happened, and I think, you know, I think everything happens for a reason. I think we didn't get this episode done because more things have happened since you're leaving your job. There are bigger life changes that have also happened that we now get to talk about. So and Tater could push everything back, but now we're you know, here sitting down at the beautiful annotate and ready to jump right in. So I don't even know where to start. I mean, I'm going to start with some fast fires.
Speaker 2: Okay, fast fight. Yeah, there's just one answer answers. I really prepared for this.
Speaker 1: Also, oh my god, we should have done a separate reflections episode because I have so many feelings.
Speaker 2: But I was just gonna say, should we ask for questions at the end of this episode, for questions about reflections of the year for our first of the New year episode?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, and they'll get it in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Well, first episode back will be reflecting on twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, But first, before I say, before I start the first questions, one of the most exciting things about our planning session is we've already locked in our recording dates for next year because yeah, you can actually hang out now. Yeah, because I'm retired live so we have a weekly cca full day together now, so you'll get much more bimbo content. Yeah, it's going to be so good anyway, Okay, back to the answer questions. I hope you get to know and a little bit better right on time for her coming back on to being like permanent again. So this is very exciting. Question one, how many hours of sleep did you get last night?
Speaker 2: Not enough? Six?
Speaker 1: Like, what would you do on average?
Speaker 2: I hope to get eight, is mate?
Speaker 1: Okay, but six? Do you have a middle name?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Vietnamese.
Speaker 1: It's tween me me Yeah, and I'm tweet young.
Speaker 2: Yeah you are. That's that's been Namoyd gave you. I don't know what it means.
Speaker 1: But what does tweet me mean?
Speaker 2: I have no idea what I don't know you speak. I'm just gonna say it means badfo butterfly, so I feel.
Speaker 1: Channel the beautiful.
Speaker 2: Womb bee.
Speaker 1: Okay, who is your person on the planet and explain why it is Nick?
Speaker 2: Because you fixed bookers at me.
Speaker 1: Next usually he doesn't even have a bar of our social media yea or no, he doesn't even follow anither of us, So like, how did he even submit? And that's not even a not nice question.
Speaker 2: Also, guys, Sarah hasn't read any of these questions, and I've barely read them. I've just copied and pasted onto this.
Speaker 1: This is a blind react. Okay, this is what? Okay, So in my vein of loving, would you rathers This is an awesome question? So whoever submitted this? By the way, these are all submitted anonymously, so they're going to get more intense. But this one's awesome. Sock sock shoe shoe or sock shoe sock shoe sock socks issue sucks, sock shoe shoe sucked. Yeah, I can only the other one called for a hot minute. No, but some people might like to get one whole side done. No, it's definitely socks sock shoes.
Speaker 2: You're running late like a burger in your house. You just have to google it. Google it.
Speaker 1: Man, did we just talk about this in an antactic repisod? Okay, So guys, for the google it reference, you'll have to go back a couple of episodes. Again another one of our stupid jokes. It doesn't make sense to anyone, which also will come back to it because a third party has been involved recently and I tried to explain Google it and she didn't really think it was that funny because it's not. Okay, Oh my god. Number five you really attracted? Was this from said person?
Speaker 2: You don't know?
Speaker 1: No, I it's like you don't know who this Okay. If you could design the perfect meal on Trey main side, dish and dessert and drink, what would it be? Does not need to make sense. I like that they clarify that because sometimes when you say, like five pantry items, people like, well, like oil because you have to cook the yea and oil. Like, No, it doesn't have to be consistent.
Speaker 2: It's true, Okay. Main mail is definitely a Japanese situation. Yeah, probably like a sushimi and sushi platter.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like a combo salmon.
Speaker 2: My drink would be bubble tea right now, really well, right now we're in a bubble te face.
Speaker 1: I have not seen you drink bubble teach. Oh that's because I asked you not to do it in front of me, That's right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because you're not yeah kidding, live in real Asian and then entree would probably be like Rotty with Sarte sauce.
Speaker 1: Oh I love Rotty with Sara Sauce. Dessert probably trimsu So okay, how tall are you? Times too? So what's your height? And then jump no, two people are.
Speaker 2: I'm actually quite tall. Someone baked a differ my whole one sixty four point five?
Speaker 1: Are you one sixty four point five? I've only one sixty eight? We're not that far away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in photos looks.
Speaker 1: Just as you were heels and I don't. We did a fashion show today. Oh my god, it was so good. One of the funnest things about having ansback during the weekdays is we have time to do fashion shows. So she's going to a wedding this weekend and is borrowing a dress. And we've done like three different fashion shows so far. Yeah, and you're not fit in my heels.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, like the pinky toes out of that doesn't fit. It's like.
Speaker 1: Okay. Someone said, oh my god, bro, I saw you at CBM, but was too scared to say hi because my friends have called me weirdo for being too friendly. Before, so Hey for.
Speaker 2: Now and it's anonymous I don't know who, but CBM Cheaper by Miles. It's the discount store.
Speaker 1: I sell you at the Preject Shop, which is actually one of my favorite places to shop. I saw you not quite right, and I thought, this makes sense.
Speaker 2: Do you hang you up quite.
Speaker 1: I didn't even question it, it just makes it.
Speaker 2: It was quite right.
Speaker 1: But you know what, that makes me really sad that anyone's friends would like call them a widow for being too friendly, because I feel like one of the most disappointing things is when someone messages you after they saw you somewhere and they're like, I love the show where I've read you know, your book or something, and you don't get to meet them in person.
Speaker 2: Get that every day almost, but you do.
Speaker 1: Guys. Once I was either a DFO in coens Land and some chick comes up to Nick and I and goes, oh my god, are you and s Foot's friends from Instagram? That is what I'm not like six years ago even more so. Okay, but please always go up and say hi to and she like you absolute. I love it, yeah too, I love it so much. Never make fun of your friends for being too friendly with other people. So it's a beautiful trait. You seem to travel with your favorite sister Jen a lot. You must look after her the most.
Speaker 2: She one time when I was young, one time I said Jen was my idol?
Speaker 1: Did you say that I must have?
Speaker 2: I don't remember because because.
Speaker 1: You're totally making that now, she goes, you know you should help me because I'm your idol. Jen is so funny. Okay, next, I never also one more like inside fact about Jen. That's so funny is you guys are so loyal to each other, your whole family. You guys are the closest in age. It's so sweet. But then when I asked Jen like loving words for your kind of gost birthday book, she was like, dear Ange, you are funny love Jen. And I was like no, but really sent him seriously, and she's like, that's all.
Speaker 2: One time we were saying, like when we were young, we'd say bike. I was like saying by it when I was going to school camp. She did you just like kicked me and was like, bye.
Speaker 1: Literally, okay, weirdest thing you've ever eaten.
Speaker 2: It's not really weird though, but culturally I'd say, well stop, get your mind out of the gutter, get your mind. You are just I was gonna say, it's like when we were younger. Actually, no, this is quite weird. But it's cultural duck egg but the whole duck is still in the Oh no, have you seen? Have you you know of that? It's an Asian thing and they have it like when the baby duck's still in the egg.
Speaker 1: And is it like a delicacy or is it kind of yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: How do you get your brain passed? Mental? Well?
Speaker 2: The fact that everyone else eating it is so normal, you're like, oh, like me, Yeah, it's weird. It's really weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is such a strange one. Not a question for aswot, but a serious to find that. That's really really sweet that you are. Yes, my teeth are real? Is it because they're so good that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're perfect?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're my real teeth. But I've also had in vizzil line when I was younger, I had braces on the bottom, so they were definitely crooked when I was younger, and.
Speaker 2: She did just come back from Turkey and had that shape.
Speaker 1: It's a whole new note, didn't you notice?
Speaker 2: So there's parts of my teeth that I ruined.
Speaker 1: Therefore, yeah the gum they No, my teeth are real, but I have had them straightened at Uni. I think I had in biziline on the top, braces on the bottom and I get them whitened. Yeah. Still, but my actual real teeth and no ovin ears or anything. Have you ever watched Harry Potter? Oh yes, we have to include a reference to that video. Well, we actually went to see We went to the premiere together and the Curse.
Speaker 2: Child, falling off my seat because it was so good.
Speaker 1: You were so awkward. I was like, come get a photo and you were like no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but back then I wasn't hot. Now I am.
Speaker 1: Again, I was like a month ago. Since you're the one who went to Turkey, it's true. See those boobies, I know they're not real.
Speaker 2: See no longer seeding.
Speaker 1: No, that was actually so much fun. I was like on the media wall getting normal photos and you were like at the platform nine and three quarters jomping and trying to make it look like you were going through the wall. Oh my god, so mature. When when is Nicki Boy getting back on the podcast? Multiple bit? Someone else asked me recently can you do an episode with Nick? And I was like, we already have and she was like, that was ages ago. It's definitely time. As you guys probably remember, he's had a pretty tough year, so he hasn't quite been in the podcasting zone. But we have a lot of family planning and things twenty three, so I would definitely get him back on our favorite food I.
Speaker 2: Can say, I'm gonna say cuisine Japanese. I can just eat endless amounts.
Speaker 1: Of Oh, who's your last snap from me?
Speaker 2: You haven't had snub touched since like twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I'm going to redownload it because you know, the mouth swap filter, the TikTok one only works on cats, and I'm like, hold, I need to swamp get you down with that. I will, I will, babe, I will. What are your plans this weekend weddings?
Speaker 2: I'll be staying to rent to them and crushing my friend's house and then we have recovery and then I'll go see another front on Sunday.
Speaker 1: And you're worrying my backwards dress?
Speaker 2: Yes, so good. You have good style.
Speaker 1: I know it's my clothes that she's wearing every time you think that what music do you listen to? Oh, you're very broad.
Speaker 2: I'm quite broad. I actually in the breasts, in all the areas that you can be broad. I realized actually quite why. I actually realized the other day, like like cage shut your ears, but these actually like woh, like Malaias.
Speaker 1: Over there, what visits?
Speaker 2: And this is K two kre that wasn't even the question.
Speaker 1: And how I got music, Like I love I'm literally crying like seeing.
Speaker 2: A songwriter, but also like really appreciate like indie and like right now, I'm really into the playlist of the Triple J Covers playlist, which is really fun and awesome.
Speaker 1: You know what's really interesting about you? You're also like the bangers that you love listening to aure from our generation, not even our generation. They're the bangers that our parents listen to. So Nick Ca and I listen to like Credence clear Water and like Neil Diamond and like you know all those songs. Yeah, yeah, it's so weird, Like it's so strange. Where did you even get that from?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you one day, but I'm actually seventy three.
Speaker 1: It's bloom Effects.
Speaker 2: Sponset.
Speaker 1: But you also love modern music. As well. Yeah, you're you're like a fan of beaber Love, Beabes Love the Younger Younger Realie Eilish. I love our sing along.
Speaker 2: King Singer a special mention.
Speaker 1: Okay, our beauty and the beat like car playlist Bimbulla. We went to a place called dim Baller and you guys know we call each other bim So the playlist is called bill Yeah sometimes often actually, Okay, toilet time is for Reddit, instat emails, googling, medical pooh questions, emails, people know you too well. Okay, weirdest thing you've ever eaten?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: I think it very well? Have you done drugs? In question? How far are we allowed to go into this?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think we set the rules here. Not a lot though, But no, like you, I don't care like that. I'm not ashamed of that.
Speaker 1: No. But involves third parties, third parties. But yeah, let's still short.
Speaker 2: It involves Michael from the place what Michael Cullen, Michael Cullen that stressing read the room.
Speaker 1: Don't even know the Michael Colort.
Speaker 2: Is not a real person. Sorry if there is a Micael column.
Speaker 1: Listening, But it was, I was there and it was the funniest thing that's ever happened. So you drunk is really really annoying to me, like drunk drunk, You drunk is really annoyed. You high is the funniest me.
Speaker 2: Tipsy is fun me. Drunk drunk is.
Speaker 1: It's an actual libry, like read nearly we fought twice and once you were drunk.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite kind of pie? Sweet or savory?
Speaker 2: I don't eat pie?
Speaker 1: Okay, sure that was way. What time do you usually go to bed? That's come same, like probably ten, ten thirty. What made you become a vegetarian even though you're pesco now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, proscure now. I think it was modstitude of things like once I watched a documentary and hot how hot dogs were made? And then I also I did like this one subject once in Union it was like agriculture and water and stuff. And then also the fact I didn't really eat much meat already, so I was like buddy, although the day after I went vegetarian, I told everyone I bought him sim.
Speaker 1: And also you're really lovely when you're traveling and like someone low call makes you a local delicacy and you don't want to interrupt everything you've just eat it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am like the least activist veterinarian and in socialinarian. If it comes to a point where I genuinely am like being more annoying to be Vegi, then I'll just like, you know, have the stock or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Who do you have pinned on I message? Other than me?
Speaker 2: I don't even know people. I didn't realize people did that, but I don't have anyone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I accidentally did it once and it was someone where I was liked and I can't find the profile.
Speaker 2: Where is it?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh my god. Okay, so there are so many questions. I feel like I'm going to mix up the order because I think we should really cover work work because you have recently love how everyone thinks and is retired. She's not retired. She is still working and making some monies. I love that. One of the questions was like, literally, how did you retire? She's not retired?
Speaker 2: People take me too seriously.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's pre resignation for anyone who wants to get into the healthcare system. I would love to know your tips and tricks to getting a job in the public hospital system. I'm an ot who has been out of UNI for two years, approaching grade two, wants to make the jump from private to public.
Speaker 2: My biggest tip is to still buy it because right now the hospitals are desperate for OTS for all of allied health, particularly for social work, physio and OT. But they're so desperate at the minute, not to say that your skill set in other circumstances wouldn't get you in, but they're yet really wanting a lot more people in the hospital at the minute. It's a bit of a struggle town, so everyone's a bit overworked, a bit stress. If you find that the card, you can always start as a casual. The casual banks are quite large at all the major hospitals, and so you can always start as casual and then work your way in. If you can start casual, it means you get access to the internal emails. Now it works in most places is that they have to advertise internally before they go external. So if you're already a casual, you get that first preference of kind of applying. So, yeah, heaps of casual opportunities that already be out there. And then right now, yeah, hospitals are really desperate for OT. It shouldn't be a huge issue if you've already been two years out, I'm sure there's already a lot that you can do. I guess a strategic other way you could do it is if you've worked in community for a while, you can apply for a rehab job or a sub acute job, and that way it's quite an easy jump back into that kind of community or home visit style therapy.
Speaker 1: I'm going to mold two questions together. One is what was your favorite part about working in healthcare? And what was the hardest part or the parts that made it kind of easier for you to jump away from it, including the stress of being an allied health professional.
Speaker 2: Okay, the first part was your favorite thing about working in healthcare? I think it's probably the same as what most people have about healthcare. You get to this amazing perspective on life that you wouldn't otherwise because you get to know people at a much deeper level, particularly as a physio or say like a OT or any of the allied health We've just spent a lot of time with patients and so you have to really understand them. But you also see where people come from in ways that you wouldn't necessarily know about people walking the street, you know, like you understand how cultures affect health and understanding of it. You understand the types of hardships people have been through beyond what you already know, which is actually really quite interesting. Yeah, and then you meet them as a person and you put it together and you're like, actually, I've met someone like you before. You know, I maybe have previously judged someone like that, But you start to learn that people are so diverse with their stories and who they are that you have this amazing perspective on culture and life and being a lot more open minded to people and understanding of people. And also some of them just are so you know, my last rotation was on a stroke board, and you see how strong willed and resilient they are to keep fighting for something that you would be like, I just would have given up like a long time ago. You know. You get people that have been nice for seventy days, or people have been stuck to a bed for one hundred days, which is not common in a cute setting, and they kind of just keep going, keep going, keep going for reasons that you otherwise when understand, you know, like motivations. Everyone's got very different styles. But yeah, so you see this amazing diverse group of people across the line life span and with so many different stories from all parts of Australian of the world. So yeah, really beautiful perspective on life and really great stories because yeah, I think in the nicest way possible. Sometimes things, really funny things just happen in hospitals and they're just so wild that you just laugh at them. You know, like you know, you're hoisting someone and they're just shit everywhere or whatever it is, or like you're laughing at you. Yeah, it's true, Okay. And then the MDT, the Multidistan pre team is like just I love being a part of particularly role Malburne. We all sit in the same office, so it's really really fun. And then you just feel like you're leaving some sort of impact or you're doing something that's purposeful, which is really nice too. That's my favorite. And what's the second part something.
Speaker 1: About managing the stress of it. And they're like in the immense emotional load, but then also what made it easier for you to leave and jump towards something else for you personally, not necessarily for everyone. That was the same when people ask me why I left, Laura. I don't think everyone finds these things. It's just what I found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the stressful parts of it, like at the time was like I said before, the hospitals are really desperate for our laid health people kind of moving in and out of it. There's a lot of turnover. Not for reasons, it's just been a really tough two years with COVID and stuff, so like stuff shortages is hurt and COVID uncertainty is hurt a lot as well, So you kind of have to be really adaptable. And then I guess my personal thing is like my last rotation, it was a seven thirty to four pm work time structure, and it just doesn't like I just don't do that very well, Like to have to kind of get to work to be on by seven thirty and four o'clock never really is four o'clock. It's probably like four thirty and five, and by that time you're like, well, I could have just done it nine to five and had the morning where you don't you know, you kind of staying back a little bit, which is not uncommon. It's not at all encouraged or it's very much round upon to stay later but you kind of have to sometimes in that way it's stressful, But I actually find it less stressful than what I'm doing now, because like I have leaders on, like my supervisors that kind of delegate to me, and then my tasks and my tasks, and when they've done, they've done. When I go home, I go home. So in that sense, it's like, I guess that's the stress. Emotional wise, sometimes, like sometimes if you have like a strong emotional reform with someone who then goes to pass away, that sometimes is really sad. And I've only really had one case that has I've held on to for a while. But other than that, I think I said to you, I think you find it it's very contextual for sad things that happen in the hospital because they're there and they're already unwell. I feel like if the same thing happened randomly on the street to become a lot more traumatic, whereas, yeah, because as in the hospital they're already on well, it kind of makes sense in the space that you are. So from an emotional stress standpoint, that's actually fine. But personally, again, I was extremely well supported at ROLL Melbourne, so I experience really had a really positive experience. It's more like the I just really couldn't do the structured time, Like I just got exhausted from doing that, from being there at seven thirty. They're not getting out until you know, four point thirty and then doing your gym stuff, which is while everyone has to do every day, but just for me, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the overarching thing that I've learned over time watching myself, you lots of other people finding the life structure that suits them the best, is that we all just don't have the same composition and our productivity and ideas and workflow and ideal just life setup looks I mean, of course it looks different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think on top of that, my life structure was very different, like that was my job, but I also have multiple other jobs, yes, and to have that take up structured amount of time so of my day where I genuinely couldn't do anything else. Because I'm such a multitasker. I can do multiple, like a few things at once, but if I'm with a patient, obviously I can't go it's responding to email us at the same time. Yeah, that was where it was hard for me because I just had a lot of things going on.
Speaker 1: So that kind of leads to the questions that are all about the transition out of physio and into something else, but particularly around the fact that I think, let's start with this one. This was a longer question, but what revelations life altering epiphanies, et cetera did you get from quitting your job to truly seize your AA? And that was not anonymous, It was from Katie who's a long time follower. But I think part of that is also you were doing both for a while and a lot of people who make a jump, they don't jump to nothing. They jumped to something, which means that in the middle you've got both going on, and the stress is like exponentially more so, what were your revelations that helped you go from managing everything physio, your social media, work, exercise, eating, Well, that was from a stress healthcare worker. And then what helped you through to go, Okay, now I need to do something?
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, the first part was the whole question about how did you have time for all of it is your own social medidity and all the exercise activities. Obviously I came to a pot where I just didn't actually, which is probably part of why I left. I'd done it for a very very very long time. I've done it for the best part of six years, managing a quite high workload. But it came to a point in my life where I was like, I actually like this go go go nature isn't sustainable. And also like I had to sit down and be like why, Like why am I betting myself to the ground, Like I just keep I have this scene where I just keep saying yes to more clients that ask, and I'm like, but is it really better? Like it's going to benefit my future in any way. So I came to that point where I was like, actually, there's going to be a time where I choose it for not like necessary for career progression, but just things that I really want to do. How I fit in time wise is I have really great self awareness and how quickly I can get things done. And so I came to a point where I kind of accepted things and moved around my times. Like if I was like, I have dinner, but I also don't like I want to go to their dinner. But I also have this jew I'm really good at knowing how long it might take me. So I'm like, it's going to be forty five minutes, and so I can happily do that after dinner. And I also some compromises like if it's sometimes it's you do wake up early to finish a job, or you stay up later and you go to that dinner, but you know that you're going to go home to work after. So so those a few times where I'll be out dinner and they might have kick ons and I was like, actually, I've got actually immediate at nine. And those are the compromises that you make. So it's just based on what you want to value prioritize in your life. Like if you want to prioritize work, you want to meet work in life, social life in the middle. That's where you make it work. But I always think it's almost impossible to make it all work at one hundred percent like level, you know, like you're kind of compromising on a little bit of them at once to make it doable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think you have to have in any kind of situation where you're juggling multiple passions, whether you want one to be full time or not, or whether you're transitioning or not, even if it's just you want to stay in your full time job and have your hobby on the side. Extreme time management skills is like maybe the most important thing. Yeah, otherwise you don't do any of them properly. Prioritization becomes really important and it's totally doable. It's just practicing how to prioritize properly so that it doesn't burn you out completely, so that none of it is enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and unless it's serving me, then I put it in the bin. Yeah. I think that's the thing is where you have to you have to realize that when things are actually making your life any better, you got to put them in the bin. But back to the early epiphanies from Katie just could, Yeah, epiphanies revolutions or revelations that I had were actually around. I had that whole anxiety thing of quitting that I was speaking about this in a previous podcast, and the minute I could come to terms with it that it wasn't a permanent decision that I could come back to. It wasn't that I could come back to physio and that my thing, actually, one of my biggest things was when I get to eighty, I'm gonna literally look back and be like that one year that I tried something else is a literal blip in my life, Like it doesn't actually put me back. I kept being like, that's going to put me back a whole year physio or more, which in a fifty year career or a forty year career, one year of that is a blip. And in that time of the twelve months, I could have gained all these other skills that were better at me as a physio. So once I came to the realization and that's how it's going to work, that it's not a forever decision. I can come back to physio. That's the beauty of the job and the safety of the job, security of the job, then it became a less scary decision. And the other revelations I had was I wouldn't be able to do what I do in my life with other people around me supported me to get there, Like it's a really big thing for me. I don't think I would make many bold decisions that I do without not that I need reassurance always, but without the support of the people around me that make me feel like I can do it, I just actually wouldn't do it. I have a good amount of self belief, but not enough to make these huge decisions all the time. So those were probably my big, big life things, And I guess my last one was like, you could die tomorrow and would you be happy with the life that you lived? It's something that I've always said.
Speaker 1: That is something you've always said, and I've always said the other point that you noted about the future regreat management thing, Like I've always said, a year right now seems like a huge percentage of the life I've lived, but future me, that will seem like a blip. Like sometimes you do have to look ahead and think about how you will feel in twenty thirty, forty years, and I don't know that perspective sometimes makes it easier to make.
Speaker 2: Me feel small.
Speaker 1: It feels smaller, And then like I feel like you can make a decision feel bigger or small all based on how you look at it, and if you want it to feel smaller, you just think about it in a way that makes it easier for you to do it. And that links into another one of the questions, which was about the crippling anxiety about the future and especially and we'll get into this because family also has a role. This is a separate section, but just for now touching on the Asian heritage, guilt and shame about being unemployed. You technically weren't unemployed, but even still you're working away from something that's secure, prestigious, all that stuff, And a lot of the other questions were also about how did you have something to jump to? How did you even get that role? How did you move into? Like how do you create the first step? So a lot of people want to work their way into a non nine to five job where they can work and travel and cza, but they don't know where to start. So how did you even create a situation where you had something to jump to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think my situation is really unique, which is why I think I've like people have they personally asked this question a few times to me, and I think my response is, I don't know if it's necessarily helpful, because it's because I said yes to so many things when I was younger, like it pretty much how I got into this is I met Sarah like seven years ago or something like that, and it was like a brunch and talking about Match Maiden and I just said I'm at Union. I got six content hours, and I just want to try new things. Is anything I can help you with? And no kidding, that was my leg up in and that's how I got to where I am to be able to have the opportunities that I do. And in that I kind of I was helping with the social media and through that I learned Adobe, and then I taught myself that, and then I learned about marketing and then consumer behavior and I think that's like being a physio, you kind of quite emotionally aware about how people respond to things as it is as well. And then through that it was a bit of like a word of mouth referral. People kept referring me to or asking me to help with their social media, marketing, and strategy and content all in one, and I think I realized my skill set was very unique in that I could do all of them as opposed to just you know, some people can only just do the marketing side of it, where they can coordinate a feed or something, but they can't create high level content where it's something that I could do at a decent level across the board, which was very helpful because it meant they didn't have to hire a creative team and a marketing team. They did it all in one person. And then at the same time, like I had like pretty low rates for a while because I was still learning on the job and that was more valuable to me than the financial return. And then yeah, it literally from there's been a word of mouth, Like I've never advertised I've done it. It's all been word of mouth. So then I started growing my client teleent who I was writing strategies for or helping with their marketing. And then since then, I think I've been in like twelve different industries, which has been really cool because you get to understand different demographics, parts of the world, some of them international. I've purposely held on to that not because I thought it was a good job to have, It's because I enjoyed it, and I think that's kind of gets bottom line, is that you got to find something you enjoy and then after that doesn't feel like work, and then saying yes to things doesn't seem so arduous, and then when you're really passionate about something kind of you almost naturally fall into what you want to do. It's kind of just taking that leap at the start and saying yes to opportunities and things. So yeah, I did have a job lined up before with a couple of clients that I already have been working with, and I knew they kind of had always been wanting me to go full time. I just never took that jump in that leap, and I just was too scared to have a conversation with them. And the one time I did have the conversation with them, they were like, of course, they wrote a contract overnight had it for me, a twelve month contract working full time, fully remote and full flexy hours. And then I was like, holy shit, like I can't say no to this. So that was why I made the jump, But it took me nine months to feel secure to do that. Like there was a nine month period where I was like looking for a job, looking for a job, looking for a job, and it was right there under my kind of nose. I just never really pursued it. So yeah, it was I think if I didn't have a job, I probably wouldn't have jumped.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always say that you need something to jump too, because then it's not to jump into the abyss. It's like a jump to something that you can imagine.
Speaker 2: And I think is like I think I would highly recommend jumping into something, but the something doesn't need to be full time like crazy hours. If you can, so, I say, out your financial situation that allows you to work. If you calculate you could do part time for four months, then that's amazing. Four months to kind of reset and see what you like out there, try different things, learn different things, and then if it doesn't work, I would recommend always to have like a backup plan, like a plan B, so if it doesn't work, go back to the same job. If it doesn't work, you could always work at this place whatever it is. It feels less anxiety or you feel less anxious doing it that way. And then with family, this is actually quite funny because I've just realized I've actually told my parents have quit. I've been a long time ago, so back to being Asian. That's part of it. Like you sometimes it is. I'm not scared of telling my parents. It's more I know they'll be severely disappointed, and describing it in a way that makes them still feel like I am successful is I'm still trying to think about the way to go about that for them to understand. Yeah, if I said I work in marketing for some startups, they'd be like, what is that? That freak is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So yeah, being Asian, that's just how it is. That it's a lot tied down to prestige and status and stuff like that. But yeah, I know they'll be supportive fronte talent, but it's just a bit of ripping that band it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We have a whole section on questions about on that note about cultural differences and yeah, that it's like pitching things to different people in your life differently based on what their values are and what they comprehend and what they prioritize. And that's a whole thing. But just quickly before we move on from the work thing, I think it's really important to highlight and it's been so interesting watching you as well that it's been almost exactly the same way that I did it. It was in the works for years. You never set out thinking I want to leave my job. In fact, it was like possible years before you even acknowledged it yourself. I think people who are feeling lost about how to move out of a nine to five, it really is that it's put the feelers out and do things bit by bit, Like you don't have to have this nine to five jumped to full time entrepreneurship. It's nine to five, you know, do a side project on the side, maybe have two clients, three clients, four clients, back to three, back to two. Like there's so much experiment you've done along the way before you felt you could jump full time, and you have jump full time to more than one project. You didn't just go full time in house to one business.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: I just think people have this idea of what it needs to look like, and everyone composes it in different ways over really long time frames. It's not like a straightforward jump. Everyone feels a bit lost. Just start putting slow pieces together, and I don't think that. Like one of the questions is when did you know you had a passion elsewhere? And was there a specific point you knew you were ready to leave. I think it's like you said, it was easy for you to do because you were passionate, not because you were trying to leave your job, and the leaving bit only came when suddenly they were both viable. But you just kept doing it before you even knew that was the goal, because you were just enjoying what you were doing along the way. Yeah, So That leads to another question, which I think is probably one of the most valuable questions someone could ask you, in particular at this junction, is about whether or not you consciously do things to progress yourself. So this applies both in the job that you are now welcome back at anytime you left on excellent terms, and now also in business, in getting new clients with only word of mouth, in having great relationships with businesses for many many years, Like you left and the CEO of the Royal Melburn Hospitals sent you a good message like as a you know junior. Still, so do you find that you just get there through charisma? Like do you decide I Am going to climb this ladder and I'm going to get this opportunity because I think people genuinely don't know how you do that? How do you build your reputation? How do you getting people's good books and leave doors open for yourself?
Speaker 2: The CEO thing, I have to clarify. The CEO thing happened because one of my best mates laws who works with me as well, is like we are just so extra with the things that we do for each other that she was like she wouldn't be you know, that excited to get like the director of Allied Health because she already knows her and like they you know, they have a really strong relationship. How can I like make this like something that can properly surprise her with because we've just done so much for each other before. And so she literally emailed the CEO. It was like Hi, like not thinking we get anything out of it, She said, Hi, you know, can you just quickly just say one thing, like just like ten second things, thank you for your service? And she came back with this whole minute video that even Laws was like what theck and like she was in the stoic. So I didn't go obviously chasing that. Laws went chasing that as a way to like take the piece but also just feel like the things that we do to each other. It was actually one of the most beautiful things ever. Actually it was very very nice. But there's a video of me reacting to it, and I was just shook to the core. So definitely not a conscious thing of on my behalf. But in terms of do I consciously do things to progress my career, I think the large part of their answer is actually know, like I don't feel like I'm actively going out there to do that. Some opportunities that I say yes to, Yes, like if I see there's potential in that, I say yes. But in terms of like the actions that I do, Like if I reflected my time at the hospital, my whole thing, Like even when I was in YAR twelve, I was like, I hate doing things for the sake of putting on your resume, Like that's doing things for the sake like you know, like when you're in union, everyone's like head of this student union group and head of the physiotherapy student board and whatever. I was like, if you're passionate about that, go for it. But if you're doing it just put your resume. Is it really worth your time? There's so many other things that you can do that you or like become better at that could actually make you a much more employable person. So I think my motto has always been like, do the best job that I can do, and then if they want to keep me through that, they keep me. And I kind of would I feel like I have a unique enough skill set to make myself stand out. And I think that's always worked to my favorite and in that way, people I guess that want to see that can see that and then see where I can support the place and see the potential in me. So my thing is like less consciously choosing particular rotations or whatever it is for progression of career, but being like choosing things that I really love and then doing it's so freaking good at it. Yeah that people are like, we need her, Like it's just like but it's just if you think about it, it's kind of textbook stuff. But it's like Year twelve advice and people like choose subjects that you love because you do really well with them. So I'm like, I choose opportunities or if I had a choice, I put things that I really know they'll love that I know that I'll be good in. And that's how I guess. I guess it is a conscious thing. But it's not like a matter of like putting my name up for all these leadership roles to progress my career, because I would find that exhausting, particularly if I didn't like it I was doing it for the job, I would be like, it's waste my time and I want to be doing things that are better. So I think, yeah, if you play to your strengths, know your strengths, choose things based on those things, do a really really good job at them, like in a way that's unique. So my unique selling point is always I think it's my efficiency. Yeah, like my time management and my efficiency, which is really obvious when you're in a big workplace, like people they just get shit done. And when people can see that and appreciate that, they kind of want to hold onto that.
Speaker 1: So sounds definitely holding on to you.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean, it's not and I'm not saying that everything is landing in my lap. Like, yes, definitely opportunities Like I chose Royal Melbourne knowing it was a massive trauma hospital and knowing that if I had the skill set so like to be at the Royal Melbourne, I could probably easily get a job in many other places. So I guess it's a mix of yes and no. But yes, you're right a lot of it. Does something come from charisma? I'm hilarious, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So funny. And just to quickly round off this section, back to Katie's question about like revelations since seizing your yea and then also tying in with someone else's question about the magic that you're brewing now that you are done with being shackled by normal society. Now that you've actually made the leap, is it what you expected? Like? Did it do the things? You've also been able to fit in a trip you've started having like your weeks back in terms of you know, you've finished up, You've had a little bit of time to see what your life is like now, Like is it what you thought? Is it better than you thought? Has it done for your brain and your soul what you thought it would so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like exactly what I thought. But then again I wrote it to be that way. Yeah, that's true, Like I couldn't necessarily be surprised by the way that I structured it because I structured it that way. Yeah, Like I went out of this being like, I am going to only work this many days for this company, and then have it this many days for this company. I had already worked with them, so you've going to it was going to entail. It has been the best time, Like such a great time. But at the same time, the downside, which I always knew was going to be a downside, was that you don't really get to switch off. That's always the that's the trade off. But I knew that. I feel like I actually was listened to a podcast or something the other day where I think the CEO of Notion was talking about if you're going to tell someone bad news, you start the conversation with, hey, this conversation is going to be difficult, because oh my god, that's so clever, because they say that the migdala only becomes anxious, scared, fearful when it's doesn't know what it is it's expecting. So if you tell them that it's what you're expecting, it's becomes a much easier conversation to have, as opposed to being like, Hi, happy, happy, happy happy, Okay, well we're letting you off. That's like a big shock to the system. Where As if you go in being like, hey, just let you know it's going to be a difficult conversation from the start, the rest of it comes easy. So I kind of set that realistic expectation for myself from the start, knowing there was going to be pros and cons about it all, and I wrote all that out. So the pros are amazing, Like, I traveled all around Europe and worked and traveled and it was amazing. It was so great. It was so so awesome, and being clients that have already worked with they know me, so I didn't have to like prove myself for anything. My only thing has Like I said before, I just try to do the best job that I can. And then my day structures are incredible. Are actually in fashion lunch, I wake up whatever time I want to wake up, and then I walked to my nearest cafe and then I do hours of work because I'm really productive in that way. And then I go home and then normally make breakfast or lunch, and then I clean or whatever. I go to the gym or go for a walk. I'll go do some error. Yeah, I'll do my beauty channel, I'll do my makeup, you know, I go just make sure my hair implants are on.
Speaker 1: Sketch like I help me put my teeth in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I do a little bit more work if I want to. And then I pretty much like the minute people finish work, I'm like bordering with them, going to dinner with them, picking the football with them. And then if I have a night meeting, I have a night meeting and then I the next day is the same thing. So it's just and the beauty of the job is that I get paid full time. So the twelve month contract, I get paid full time to work around about four days. But the four days is essentially however, I want to structure that so long as I get the job done. So I want to work really really fast or really really long day. That'll work a really really long day and just get all done. If I want to like be a bit of bimbo and like fluff around, then I just work seven half days or whatever it is. So my time is like and I if I want to go to Ocean Grove that week, and I go to Ocean Grove and I just type in the back of the car or whatever it is. I can genuinely be anywhere, like I can have the company is so great. I have meetings in transit, I have meetings on the side of the road if I'm like outside.
Speaker 1: Of the dinner and I'm like, you're busting. You need to take it all the way home.
Speaker 2: Literally, So like it's so awesome and that's like my main income. And then I work one day with Ceas, and then I work like a half day with Friendo, which is the health tech company in the UK, and then all of them are very different, like Friendo's very like more like product growth marketing. Bloom is more of like a leadership like social marketing manager. And then with you, it's kind of like a lot of fun things like podcasting, branding, random stuff. So yeah, that's currently what's brewing, and then future brewing is I guess I don't like to look in the future because I have no idea where my life's going to go. I kind of just live for what I have right now.
Speaker 1: Live in the moment. Okay, well that's taken us to an hour alroad, Yeah, so sorry, no, bim. I am so excited for you because now I have you back. You've made such a big jump. I can't wait to see what Twowey and three brings you and sees and everything else that you're doing. And I feel like this is the essence of this show. I'm so glad. There were so many questions. This has literally taken us an hour. So by the way, everyone, as I predicted at the beginning, this is now going to be a two part of This is no longer the last episode of the year because we have so many topics left. But the fact that most of the questions submitted or about the path ya, which is what the show is about. Makes me so happy. Yes, I feel like anyone listening could be you know U seven years ago, five years ago, four years ago, whatever, last year.
Speaker 2: I just don't believe how many people care. But you know, it's nice.
Speaker 1: It's so nice, and it's a huge jump you just made.
Speaker 2: It is it is a big jump, and I feel like I'm still coming to terms with it all. But it's been really fun. So Part two sounds good. Part tiam is a lot more like relationship.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the joys that guys, As we mentioned, there is a whole section on family and your Asian heritage and the prestige. We will come, we'll circle back. We'll circle back, guys to the question of prestige and expectations. And you know that one of our favorite topics here is like the definitions of success and how you have to pitch your new career to your family and the fact that you still haven't told them, which I did not know. But also about like the expectations on timelines in life, like getting married and settling down and having kids. Someone asked who your favorite cousin is and why I'm guessing was one of your cousins, even the pressure about you moving out and carry oak abilities. But most importantly the section that is to come is relationship, starting with how many exister zanchav like who doesn't want to know that everyone? And then a few questions snuck in there for me as well, which a good one reflect people are like curious about Nick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you for curious?
Speaker 1: Cue for curious mystery man Ali, So guys, you old? Are? I go to Marti Gary a big ally and I have somehow managed to get every letter in l G B, t Q A plus wrong at various times in the last couple of years. Fully thought we did not Actually who is for curious?
Speaker 2: For our lives?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm the worst. So we have relationship to go. We have some cycling questions, funny cleat fail, story.
Speaker 2: Travel, travel or life and mindset and mindset? What backpack you use specifically? There's some very practical conversation questions. There's also which I think this is very interesting, how do you work on your financials buying a house at this age people don't.
Speaker 1: Talk about That's true, It's true. So part two we now have to book another day. I thought, I was finished working for the Angelina You are to Part two will be coming into your ears. I think what we'll do is this is a pre Christmas episode. We'll let you guys have Christmas, and then we'll drop some juicy follow in your pre New Year, because you know, New Year, New Ange, you talk about that stuff before the year is up.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 1: Thank you for this episode. This was incredibly inspiring. I hope you guys found inspiring as well. Meanwhile, if you have any other questions for aship, we now have time. Just admit.
Speaker 2: I guess talking about my dating life.
Speaker 1: I really do. The whole next episode is going to be about your dating life, and I can't wait because it's exciting, it's juicy, there's a lot, there's a lot to talk about. I'm really glad how out. I'll see you guys in a week and in the meantime, Happy holidays. You're it, it's holidays. Sorry, it's a native yay when you don't get the branding. I hope you have an amazing festive season and we'll catch you again before twenty twenty two is out.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,