Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting out Loud, the podcast for parents who don't always listen to parenting podcasts. We like to take a little LOOKI loo at the culture and the news and the trends and go, hmmm, what do we make of all of this? It's sort of what parents are thinking about. I'm Monice Bowley.
Speaker 2: I'm Amelia Last and I'm Stacy Hicks. I'm trying a new thing this time. I feel like I always go up at the end of my sentence, like Ron Burgundy, So I tried to lower myself that time.
Speaker 3: What did we think, vib I.
Speaker 1: Didn't even notice.
Speaker 2: Oh well, rude, Okay, that's the last time I try something new for either of you.
Speaker 3: Go on Monds.
Speaker 1: Coming up on today's show.
Speaker 3: There's a new solution for parenting exhaustion. You might think that sounds good, but I hate it.
Speaker 1: And I love it Typical Australia's favorite couple, Buddy and Jacinta Franklin have run for the hills and I want to talk about the new free range parenting fantasy.
Speaker 2: And we've got something for you to watch, something to do, and something to buy. It's our weekly repos But first, do you know when you hear it's the anniversary of a big event and you can't believe that that much time has gone past because you haven't aged a day. Yes, like the beacons Field mine rescue was twenty years ago this year.
Speaker 3: It doesn't that make you feel Joe I saved by the belief that nineteen ninety was ten years old.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely correct, I will not hear otherwise. Well, I couldn't believe it. This week, sixty Minutes ran a package about the fact that it's been five years since Cleo Smith was taken from her family's campground, missing for eighteen days and then returned to her family in Wa. It was wasn't it like it really captured the whole nation's attention as a million dollar reward for that And I think Australia held their breaths for eighteen days?
Speaker 3: Really was that? How long?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 3: Eight days? Oh?
Speaker 1: My god?
Speaker 2: And I think that's because we see these stories tragically go such a different way a lot of the time. But her family shared a beautiful update saying that she's almost nine now and that she's doing really well, that she does gymnastics and swimming, and they just said she's like a happy girl and She's come so fast since then, So I just thought that was so nice.
Speaker 3: Blew my mind. What I really appreciated about that was that remember that indelible image of her after immediately after she had been rescued, and she's in a hospital bed with the ice block, with the ice block beaming her beautiful smile. And I think it was easy for us to look at that and go, Okay, everything's done and dusted, Everything's fine. I appreciate that her parents, they're behaving, was such grace throughout all of this. They're being honest with us, but they're not infringing on her privacy. So they said, look, everyone did see that photo and she looked happy and fine. She wasn't fine. There was a lot, there's been a lot to cope with a lot of trauma, and there's been a lot of sort of two steps forward, one step back, but the trajectory is positive. She is a happy nine year old, And I thought, what an ability to parent in such trying circumstances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think there was a bit of an argument that should they be sharing anything about her now, given what she went through in such a public space, But I think they've done it as you say in such a gentle way to share enough and say this isn't an easy road, but to tell them all these people that did care about her in that time that she's doing well is just so lovely.
Speaker 3: And it also diffuses predatory media interest because if they preemptively put out this selected photo and this line, this sort of press statement that says, yes, she's doing fine and sort of satiates the public's curiosity, I think it makes it less likely that the more predatory members of the press are going to go after Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's going to be one of those things that will pop up every five years that they might have to just stay ahead of it for the rest of their lives in the same way that Sophie Delisio. I don't know if you remember her. She was the little girl that was run over in the childcare center and suffered all those awful burns, and Australia has sort of followed her along from the journey of child to teenager to getting married and like the whole way along. Do you think we're going to see another one of those?
Speaker 2: I think that will be up to her Like they seem like the type of parents that arelike, we'll put this out and that's enough for everyone to know. And then I guess that will be up to her when she gets to that stage whether she wants to do that. But yeah, so so happy for their little family that she's doing well.
Speaker 3: Another heartwarming. In case you missed it this week, you've heard of pints and ponytails. Well now it's time for pints and period The movement, which started in a London pub to teach fathers how to breed their daughter's hair, has expanded into an awareness campaign about menstruation. At a session in May, father's learned what a moon cup is. They learned how much blood is lost each month in menstruation, which is about three tablespoons. FYI, I'm not sure even I knew that, so that's I had to look it up, which both seems like a lot in a little incidently, but look, I think it's just great dads are learning more and talking more about periods. One fact that really surprised me in watching a little Instagram video about this is that the periods are the number one reason why girls miss school in the UK, which really shocked me, and I imagine it's probably quite similar here. So the more we can get dads talking about this issue and destigmatizing it, the better. It reminded me that Prince William was recently itself by Southwest London and he spoke with Vivi Lynn, who's the founder of an ngo called with Red, and they talked about period stigma too. So it does feel like something's happening there. What's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Are you really not cynical about this at all? Amelia?
Speaker 3: No? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Why does it have to be in a pub with a beer for them to be comfortable to talk about mens duration? I don't just know, but I think what happens if they get down at the dinner table and have a conversation with your family there? Like, Wow, why do we have I'm serious? Why do we have to create a mask space so that men feel comfortable talking about stuff?
Speaker 3: I don't think that twenty two years.
Speaker 2: I think if they continue to do that in private, then the same thing is happening when no one's talking about it. I think the act of them being in a public place, whether that's pub, cafe, whatever, and having these conversations together with other men there isn't that the part that's bread.
Speaker 1: In your dad's top. Actually, did your dad just ask you about it? Did your dad talk to your mum about it?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, probably, but it wasn't really spoken about.
Speaker 3: I don't even know whether he did. Like, you know, I think we've come along, Yeah, society just in a generation. Yeah, because there was a lot of secrecy around it when I was growing up. Yeah, yeah, did you know I lost well, yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just felt like, no, not really, it was just a matter. It was just par for the course. There were three girls in our family, and it was just this is what happens, and everyone okay and away we go. And there was no need to kind of create a safe space for men to talk about icky women stuff like what.
Speaker 3: No, I like it. If it takes a beer in their hand for them to do great, well, I'll just put it in. I'm sensitive on this because at their previous session, as I mentioned, they did learn how to breed their daughter's hair. I don't know how to breid, so maybe I also need to go to this occasion. Yeah, maybe, Okay.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about Buddy and just Ciner Franklin because there was a profile of them in the Weekend Australian magazine This week from Caroline Overington that I couldn't have loved more. I frothed it so hard. The headline was from AFL superstar to stay at Home Dad, Buddy Franklin on his quiet new life And on the surface, it's a story about what happens when one of the greatest AFL players of all time, that's Buddy Franklin leaves the game. So Buddy Franklin, and he's married to his wife, Justina Franklin. She's a former Miss Universe Australia and they have three kids, Tallula, Rocky and Bam.
Speaker 3: The coolest names they just although today Ilen that see as child is called Somersault and I think that wow, Yeah, that takes the gig.
Speaker 1: So the Franklins in this profile talks about how they left Sydney. I've left the rat race of Sydney for a property in Queensland where there are trees, mud kids running around outside. And the article describes Buddy as a gentleman farmer, nappy changer and bee keeper. And then there's Jacinta and she's turning a beef in the pan as she talks to Carolin Overington. She talks about how she wanted a free range childhood for their kids, and she says, we wanted to give the kids what we had running around and climbing trees. The article is so delicious and so evocative, and it's about how my favorite bits were. There's the closest shop is a timber market stall that sells avocados for twenty nine cents apiece, and how her two older children, the five and six year old, make their own breakfast and it's not just plugging wheatbicks into a cereal bowl. It's cracking rerange eggs into a cast iron pan. They cook it themselves.
Speaker 3: That gave me.
Speaker 2: Anxiety, yeah, said like someone who lives in the city, not on a beauty farm.
Speaker 1: Now, some would say, and certainly Carolyn Overington made this little link to Ballerina Farm, which is if you haven't heard of Ballerina Farm, it's a US trad wife influencer. Her name's Hannah Nielman. She has millions of followers, and she sort of portrays this very humble homesteading family life of homeschooling and making sour dough and sort of their kind of family's adventures. I think she's got eight children now. Caroline Overton makes this comparison in the article because it is sort of lending itself to that a little bit of that movement, a little bit, but just Sinta's very quick to extinguish it. She says, not exactly like that. But the health and wellness is something we could model, eating good food, getting exercise, and being out doors. But the reason I couldn't look away from this is because genuinely, like, I really like these two humans, and they seem like great soul of the earth kind of country people. But also it just feels like the modern parenting fantasy of what if we just opted out, What if we left the grind, What if our kids did have gum boots and trees and mud and cast iron pants to crack eggs into? What if childhood could be kind of quieter and slower. And so I wanted to know when you both read this story, how did you feel? Did you feel inspired or did you feel kind of like cynical about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did feel weirdly soothed by it, Like I think these are two humans in particular that have so much access to whatever type of lifestyle they would like to live and the fact that they're choosing to do this for their children. They could be jet setting somewhere every other week, but choosing to have this really quiet lifestyle for their children. And they also talked about in the Peace that Buddy wanted to be near an indigenous community where he can share that background with his children as they grow up, which I just think is so beautiful. But I think when we're reading it as someone who's kind of in a very different circumstance, it kind of feels like what I like to call the florist theory. So, you know how like a lot of burnt out women, I've said this before at some point in my life, I'm just going to quit everything and go and be a florist. Like I'm just going to be a florist. They have the best life. It's so beautiful and whimsical. And then when you really deep it, flories get up at four am. Florists are on their feet all day. Like the more you think about it, the realities of being a florist are not as easy as one might think, but you kind of romanticize it and it just feels like that's what we do with this piece, Like I see that. Oh yeah, I want to raise my children in a field. But I also like knowing I could get a delivery of a cookie at ten pm if I wanted to get one Like that, life isn't necessarily for me.
Speaker 3: Did you feel the same way, Oh yeah, there's something so seductive about it. And I watched Australian story last week featured Rachel Ward, the celebrated Australian actress who happens to be married to Brian Brown, and she's made a similar tree change now. Hers is in her third act. Her two daughters are growing up, but she now runs an organic farm in northern New South Wales, and of course the images are just so beautiful and so captivating. Her two daughters speak really movingly about how the country gave Rachel a freedom that she never felt in the city, particularly in acting and before that modeling, which were professions that were so centered around how she looked. And now she's looking after cows all day and they don't care how she looked. And I loved hearing from her children about how they've seen her really come into her own and by her own mission. She's never been happier now that she lives out of Sydney. In fact, she spoke about her life on the land fairly recently to both mid and No Filter that said, there is a real reality to living in regional and remote areas, particularly if you're maybe not as well off and are not choosing to do it in the same way as a Rachel Ward or a Buddy Franklin and just into Franklin. That hit home for me because the ABC ran this story last week about how no one's moving to Tasmania anymore. So basically a quick history lesson Tasmania got this huge population boom during COVID because everyone was like, I want to go and grow vegetables in Tasmania, right and have the space and the greenery. Yeah. Started, yes, yes, and then they all moved there and then this was typically people with young families. But the problem is that for young people as they grow up, Tasmania feels like a place where there aren't enough opportunities for them, and as a result, they're leaving Tasmania. So a twenty two year old who was interviewed in this ABC story, she said she moved to Queensland because she thought there were more study and work opportunities there. You contrast that with a young couple who were interviewed who said the reason why they love living in Tasmania is because it feels like Melbourne in the nineties, which is great for parents, not so great maybe for the young people who they're raising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. I feel like the Rachel Ward comparison feels slightly different to me in that she's in, as you said, Emelia, in the third act of her life right whereas Buddy Franklin and just Into Franklin are in probably the prime of their career right now. So this move to opt out of nine to five, to opt out of the grind and the rat race, feels very much a deliberate kind of choice. And I was I follow this guy on Instagram. His name's Eugene brand Stratt, and he's this cultural commentator and he talks about the movements of culture and brands and stuff in society. And he made this point a little while ago on a reel that I watched that childhood like has been rebranded and natural childhood has been rebranded as aspirational like. We used to associate status with private schools, private tutors, tennis lessons, you know, activities, expensive toys, more and more and more, and now in the last so in the last ten years, optimization culture was massive, right, it was all get up at five am, go into your cold plunch, grind, grind, grind. And now he says, the new luxury isn't more, it's less, it's escape. The new luxury is time. The new luxury is being able to bow out of the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that is what it is. I think that's why we romanticize it so much, is because it's what we don't have, Like it's the opposite of what we have. But in doing that, I'm sure they've made a lot of sacrifices too, Like, as you said, you're further away from access to different schools, different shops, you know, different different completely different way of life. And I'm sure a lot of social opportunities for those kids as well. So it is a big move to make, and it might be something that I definitely think is for them. They just look so at home and so when they should be. But if you put me in there, I'd be climbing the walls.
Speaker 1: I just it was just so nice to read about the kind of family setup that you don't often see that much. It's just that real escapism.
Speaker 3: So yeah, good on them. The Guardian has this series called The One Thing That Works, which is a great title, and this week they served us a controversial piece of parenting advice. My husband and I created a simple, life changing parenting rota, writes Catherine Chow. Catrin's husband is a research scientist. He approaches everything in terms of charts and quantifying and numbers and in a bit to be equitable. When they first had kids, he had suggested dividing up household tasks and chores. So far, so good, but over time Catherine found that she was doing more of those tasks and also they were taking more time for her, and the mental lobe was something that you couldn't really account for when you just divided stuff up via specific jobs. So then he suggested, okay, instead of dividing things up via tasks, we're going to divide up parenting via time. So he would be fully in charge of the mornings, which includes obviously breakfast, getting dressed, packing school bags during drop off, and Catherine would do the evenings, which is dinner and bath time at bedtime. Apparently this has worked for them for years, and their kids are now very happy and five and eight years old mons immediate.
Speaker 1: Reaction, so many feelings about this. So we run a parenting writer in my house swell only because my husband works a different shift to me, so he works in the later part of the day, so he's responsible for the mornings and every day I do the evenings. And you know what, it's not equitable, okay, anither is this article. I'm sorry that the husband has two hours in the morning with the kids and she has six at night like I do every single right, and I don't know how. And also the husband in this situation and in mind gets the kids when they're awake and they're fresh and they're good, and all they have to do is get dressed and eat their breakfast, and then you shuttle them out the door to school, and there's probably an incentive for them to watch TV. Get dressed quickly so they can watch TV before they go to school in the evenings. That's a very different story there is that I've talked about this before. That interminable time between school pickup and the time that they close their eyes goes one hundred hours long. Yes, it doesn't feel that equal to me. What do you think Stacey Mon's I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to nitpick, but I read that bit differently. I thought about it because she said that she picks up the kids from after school care. So I think talking for him like six till nine am, and for her maybe five till seven thirty. If a kids go to bed at an okay time, and plus you can send them off to read a book or to watch tv ID.
Speaker 3: Do you think she's not the better shift send them off to read a book at five pm? Stacy, I love it. I am pro WROTA.
Speaker 2: I have done ROTA, but in a different way to this and my household he is maybe this is your solution to this Mons. It's almost day by day, so you're on day, you're off day. It doesn't necessarily have to work that way, but even in the early days, when my daughter was younger and would wake up a lot, you would have an on night and an off night, so you're on the lookout tonight. You've got to keep an ear out for when we need to go in and soothe her, and the other one ear plugs in and you're off.
Speaker 3: Jude, is this written on a calendar?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's just discussed before bed or like, who's more exhausted, Okay, it's your night.
Speaker 3: You always delegate we one person.
Speaker 2: We always did this as yep, you have monitor, so you have to listen out for the monitor. And even as recently as our holiday, which I've mentioned five hundred times, I'm so sorry. When we went to Fiji, we did a roster to go to the adults only Paul alone. So I did one till three and my husband did three till five. And before you say to me, but that's a family holiday, you meant to spend time, we spent the other twenty hours together. Twenty hours was enough. The other four we split up so that we had a little bit of a loan timem.
Speaker 3: No, like, this is where you lose me a bit, because he so even Catherine this article, she does mention that people often remark how regimented this feels and potentially a little bit of a grind. And I know that parenting is a grind, but I just wonder if you're sort of sacrificing the feeling of togetherness that you get by spending time together as a family unit by always splitting up the parenting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a good good call and a good observation. But I think that's what weekends are for if you work a normal like Monday to Friday, that is, if parents aren't working on the weekend. But I often feel like that Monday to Friday, which is kind of what she's referring to, is the divide and conker. It is the kind of grind through the week. Yeah, fly time happens on the Sunday well.
Speaker 3: And then the other thing is, even as I say that, I'm going to argue with myself, I feel like family time can often be very stressful because you have two captains of a ship that probably should only have one captain. You're kind of bickering between the two of you. Actually capturing This article mentions she's noticed that her husband tends to be less detail oriented than her, so he might forget the homework, or he might get the uniform on wrong, or if he forgets to pack lunch or pick up lunch on the way to school, and she's noticed that she's more attuned to detail. And isn't that precisely the kind of difference that when two people are co parenting or parenting side by side, really creates tension.
Speaker 2: That is the mental load in a nutshell, like, I think that's completely what it is that you have a different way of doing it or you want things done a certain way. That's what creates the tension between you, and.
Speaker 3: Then therefore with the children because they pick up on that attention weakness exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's generalizing, but mostly men in hetero relationships are the ones that will just be like leave with a women a prayer. They won't pack a bag, they'll just go and things work out for them most of the time. Episode about it, they went to a pool and didn't take anything or anything at all, and the mom had to come to the rescue, which is generally what happens. But I loved that she said she leaves the house in the morning so she'll go and have time, yes to do whatever.
Speaker 1: And again that irritated me, Stacy, she has to leave her own house so that her husband can do the solo parents what.
Speaker 2: She wouldn't interfere, like it's none of her business. Then I love it because she's completely taking herself out of the equation.
Speaker 3: The kids can't come to her and say I want this or I want that. It's on him. I love it. I understand why this solution specifically addresses them mental load issue because if you are completely off the clock, it is none of your business. Now that the lunch is pucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's whether it was done the way you want it or not, it isn't none of your business. And I think that's what it is, is just giving yourself a little bit of space where you're out of the day.
Speaker 3: Like. But I wonder how it works for kind of like in between things. So just today, in fact, as we record this, my child is meant to be at an occupational therapy appointment. He is not. You know why, I forgot. It was a make up session and I forgot. Now that's in the middle of the day. So how does that work? Because there's some I guess what I'm saying is there are mental load issues that can't actually be put into time buckets. Yeah, and I wonder if that's the next frontier for Catherine and her husband to address.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's definitely gray area for this, like for things to follow down.
Speaker 3: Which high school should my child go to when they're in you know, year five like that kind of more long term thinking. I wonder how how we can come up with some sort of ingenious solution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it reminds me of there was a couple of years ago. This conversation has stuck in my mind so clearly between me and Friedman, friend of the show you might know her, and Holly Waynwright, they had a bit of an argie bargie on out loud about this, where Mia talked about, especially in the early years of having a baby, how you need to run it like a relay. So one person does stuff, will the other one has time off, then the other one does stuff. Holly said, it should be like a three legged race, so you're both in it together, dealing with the situation together, and I see the merits of both sides. I am definitely a relay parent in this scenario. But that's kind of what that's kind of what we're saying, is that you have to pick one or the other because otherwise resentment breeded.
Speaker 3: Although it's so interesting that analogy, because a three legged race, that person that the three legged contestant is always going to lose out to the relay.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, that's why you need a rota.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm pro wrota. I know I sound grumb about it, but it does work. What I can't. What I find fascinating actually are the three legged parents. What I find fascinating are double parent drops and pickups at school. Do you guys? Are either of you guys doing a double drop off or a double.
Speaker 3: Guilty love them? Why? I think it's nice. Maybe you're a better parent than me. That's lovely. I've been meaning to tell you that. I guess it comes out now.
Speaker 1: Today's generally interested because it feels like a school drop off, Like it doesn't need two of you to drop Harriet to year three classroom. Like, tell me about like, why is it the double Is it a ritual? Is it a routine?
Speaker 3: You're the one always reguling against optimization culture, and now you're telling you that I'm not fully optimized. That's because I don't want to be.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's nice to hold hands with your partner while you drop your kid off. It's oh, she's making me real. No, that was just terrible. It's really lovely. But it's because all I think when I see that is that's twenty minutes I could have gone and had a shower.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but keep in mind I don't do my hair, so that's saving some time. True, true, true, I noticed that today you're calling me a bad part.
Speaker 1: Double drop off parents. They are always quite relaxed. I will say that, like it's always coffee in hand, oh, having a little stroll. No one's called like pulling their child along saying where's.
Speaker 3: Your drink, butter, And there's nothing better than dropping them off and then complaining about them and what a bad mood they were in there. Yeah, yeah, that does sound nice. Wouldn't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's time to bring to you our recommendations. This is all the stuff that we're loving sick for the week, and a few different little tidbits today. Stacey, we always start with you, so I merely we're gonna start with you in stad.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay. I've got something called the Mickador Junior color wash repeat tablecloth. Now. I got this because we do a lot of dinners with extended family, and I just find those can be quite strenuous for children sitting there for a long time while people chat about the budget and tax reform. Weirdly, the kids are not engaged to it. I don't know why, so I made them wrong. But these color tablecloths are great for frankly everyone. I love coloring on them. So they're basically just like a giant tablecloth with drawings and stencils on it. It comes with washable texters that you draw on the tablecloth. Once you finish one tablecloth, you throw it in the washing machine and then you can start anew with it, and so cool, very calming for everyone. And here's a testament to how calming it is. A friend of mine noticed that we had this tablecloth. She recently had an eighth birthday party for her son at a time zone like one of those like terrible arcades with which the sound is absolutely deafening and you walk in as a parent and you just feel like your brain is melting. But the kids are like running around screaming, and she had just gotten the idea to use just a regular sheet that she put on a table in the middle of this time zone. Do you know what all the kids did Whenever they needed to just calm down a little bit from their screaming, they would come over and just like draw on the tablecloth a little bit. And I noticed how it seemed to be kind of calming them down and centering them before they went off to scream again. That's so cool.
Speaker 1: So do you need like special texters for it.
Speaker 3: So my friend just used literally a sheet and regular texts. But the one I'm recommending, as I say, it's twenty seven dollars. It comes with these washable markers so you can put it in the washing machine and reuse the stencil.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's a good reco. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually I'm going to go buy one of those after this show. Yeah, that's really cool, yeah, Dacy Mine. This week, over the long weekend, I got to actually watch some TV.
Speaker 3: Wait, that doesn't sound like you.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, normally so high brow, aren't I but I will watched a lot of shows. One of them was finishing season two of Rivals, which is incredible, But that is not my reco. My reco is the new rom com on Netflix. I think it's the number one rom com on Netflix at the moment, called Office Romance.
Speaker 3: This is the Jlo. I am so curious about whether this is good. Look jury's out on that.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to tell you it's great, but I am going to tell you to watch it because I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. So it's Jlo and Brett Goldstein from Ted Lasso. So he wrote it for Jalo although.
Speaker 3: That did you see that they were doing that? Will they won't they? Like? Are they in Los?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: On the press tour and now they've just confirmed that they are in fact not in love and are not an item.
Speaker 2: I know, but there's interviews as far back as like twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two of him saying, oh I thought I'd marry Jalo one day. He has always been obsessed with Jlo. This is like shooting your shot. And he wrote the rom com for her. He said, we have a list of one, there's no one else we want to do this show. It's for you or it's not happening, and she said yes, And it's weird, it's quirky like it's a it's a great, just easy fluffy rom Does.
Speaker 3: He write ted Larsso? Yes, Okay, did you see that's coming back? First of all, yes, very excited. But then does it have similar humor to Ted Larso?
Speaker 2: I would say some of it, yes, but it's a bit more rogue, Like there's a lot of more rogue, yeah, because it's mostly it's an American movie, but he's British and he brings a lot of that British drama to it, like there's a running joke about the C word and how British people use that as a compliment. Like there's a lot of weird stuff going on that you won't expect. But I think that was why I liked it, Like I was like that, you know, it wasn't a stock standard Hallmark movie. Was a bit like it did keep you a bit on edge because you were like, what is going on in this weird movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I actually dis liked it.
Speaker 1: Is it something you can watch with your partner or is it just like pure girls watch?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think you could watch it with your partner because of that, because of the silly humor that's going I think I think.
Speaker 3: You should have signed your partner parenting like a parenting shift while you sit down and watch this with a bowl of popcorn. I think that's a great idea. What's your reco.
Speaker 1: I'm going to change my reco? Is that okay? I'm going I'm going.
Speaker 3: Crazy an unannounced reco.
Speaker 1: Hearing Amelia talk about time zones and the sensory overload that they are. Can I give you my greatest mum hack, my secret hidden mum haack? Yes, you know, you get advertised those loop ear do you ever get advertisers loop things to plugs? Plugs, they're called ear plugs, they're called loops and you they're like very discreete ear plugs and you put them in and they can barely see them. Don't waste your money, okay, because I bought them and they're fine. Like I'm sure that they work a lot really well for some people. If they've worked for you, good on you. Maybe I bought the wrong ones. But instead I went to the chemist and I bought like silicon ear plugs that are like they're just like a putty. Kids use them when they're swimming in pools and stuff.
Speaker 3: It's just a clear path.
Speaker 1: And I just put that in my ear and I don't cover up my whole elo, but I just cover enough of it that like muffles most of the sound. And I am doing this in basketball stadiums, on football fields, when you go like to supermarket, so anywhere there's like a lot of noise. It is. It has been so great because they're cheap. You can just buy as many as you want and just like.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of like turning the volume down a bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes.
Speaker 3: That reminds me of a friend of mine who when she would take her kids to a movie that she didn't want to see, she would pop in her air pods and listen to a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: We're not using our free will enough. That is excellent. Yeah, are good?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they just come in a four pack. You get them at like the chemist or chemist's warehouse or anywhere. It's just like, yeah, four pack of little silicon discs to kind of put in your ears.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that is all we have time for today. Thanks for spending your Saturday with us, or your Sunday or whenever you're listening.
Speaker 3: If I'm wandering around time zone, yeah, put us in your ears instead. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And for your weak ahead, I hope you can organize your parenting Rohta. If you're a double parent, God bless you and great job doing those double drop offs. And I hope that quality times. Serving you with.
Speaker 3: The sarcasm is not sarcastic.
Speaker 1: I'm being honest. I'm being honest, and listen. Also, if you're a dad who wants to go to the pub and learn about periods, like, more power to you. Okay, I'm sorry, for what I said before. I was grumpy. Okay, it's about.
Speaker 3: Your post nit hair. How's it doing?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, so that was supposed to be my recommendation. I mean, week two of head lice and we've done three treatments. Now I think I've gotten on on top of it. But I ran into it's ruined my hair. My hair is so lank and so flat.
Speaker 3: Now watch from all the hair is so shiny. Yeah, that is the opposite.
Speaker 1: Shiny from the knit oil. Look it's a dead.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So I asked Lee Campbell of You Beauty podcast. I said, Lee, please, for God's sake, help me. What do I do? And she said, I need a clarifying shampoo. So I went onto the you Beauty Facebook page. Probably everyone knows about this. It is such a great encyclopedia for beauty works. You just go to Facebook, you go to you Beauty and you just type in what you're looking for, and it's full of people recommending things. And they recommended the red wind tea tree shampoo. You get it at Woolies. It's a clarifying shampoo. I did that, why tree? Yes, yes, yes, it smells very good. You smell very clean, very clean and so yeah, that has been my that was my true record today like verdscribed Yeah, I love it all right, that's a we have time for. Thank you so much. We will talk to you next week. Momamea acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.